User Reviews for Candesartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Atacand

Candesartan has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 57 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 32% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Candesartan Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Candesartan

candesartantheworst June 3, 2021

“2 days after starting candesartan, I woke up with serious heart palpitations, and could not breathe. Whole body was vibrating. It took several hours for things to calm down. After 6 1/2 months of only sleeping 4 hours a night, waking up every morning with heart palpitations, trouble breathing, vibrating, and spending the first two hours trying to calm breathing down, slowing down heart rate, and calming the anxiety, decided to check the side effects list of this drug again and I believe it is side effects of this”

paul7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

“I was given these candesartan to control my blood pressure they have caused severe nasal problems for months and constantly needing to clear my throat and dry mouth not great during a pandemic when you cant get to see a doctor-has anyone else experienced nasal problems with this medication as I know it is one of the listed side effects ?”

Pillboy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2020

“Taken after many others didn’t work... I’ve be on 8mg candesartan for 6 months. My BP is no lower so doctor decides 16mg is the way to go!!? One week gone blood pressure higher I feel like garbage. Tired body feels like I’m about 115 years old. I stopped the drug a while back. Few days felt like normal again. The 16mg tablet seems to be causing me peeing problems. Very weak flow and not emptying my bladder. I have issues but so much better normally. Hopefully someone can give me some advice but I’m stopping and will watch my blood pressure from home... often 138/90ish Oh the 16mg BP is 172/112 and face flushing Love to hear from others Thanks in advance”

Herby September 10, 2019

“I have been taking 4mg Candesartan for around 18 months along with 5mg Amlodipine taken at the same time of day. I used to take ACE inhibitor Lisinopril but found the constant coughing and clearing of my throat too much, hence switching to Candesartan. To my utter disappointment I found the coughing, clearing of my throat along with wheezing in bed at night did not go away. Now I am a 61 year old ‘fit’ male who has never ever smoked and does a lot of mountain/fell walking etc. I decided to drop Candesartan altogether and can you believe my coughing has stopped by around 80% so I am now torn at what to do next whether to see my GP and try something else or not. However all this said I have not eliminated the Amlodipine yet but I have researched on the web with an overall consensus that Amlodipine does ‘not’ cause upper respiratory problems or coughs. So I guess I have got a little more experiments do yet. I hope this helps some of you.”

Val · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2018

Atacand (candesartan): “I had shortness of breath, puffy left foot, itchy scalp, weight gain abdominal fullness, loose bowels, and still had high blood pressure. When I was taking 32mg I also dark urine, joint pain muscle calf pain. I could not walk far I had been walking between 3 and 4 klms daily ended up not being able to walk half a kilometre. This drug did not make me feel better. I started off on 8mg - that was ok, then 16mg ok but at 32mg dose I had huge problems”

Rita · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2018

“Been on Candesartan for over a year. The side effects are terrible headaches, tingling of face and arm, insomnia, constant fatigue, dry cough, constant need of clearing throat. The list goes on! I don't recommend it!”

Tired · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 26, 2020

“I have been taking candesartan for years and now have concluded that it is causing my nasal issues. My nose always feels clogged and I am a mouth breather which in turn causes a lot of dental issues. Now with the COVID-19 virus and having to wear a mask this has become an even bigger issue. I thought my problems may be caused by this drug and after reading a lot of the reviews I am sure it is. May also be the cause of sleeping and stomach issues as well. It has been effective to lower my bp but I don’t like the side effects since I am a very active person and it is slowing me down.”

CC234 June 3, 2017

“I experienced side effects that included muscular pain, especially in the arms, shoulders and neck, as well as fatigue, inability to concentrate in the evenings, and slight depression. As soon as I reduced the medication, I began to feel better. After a week of taking half of the dose, my doctor took me off. I now feel 10 years younger. I have no pain, I am much less tired and I can concentrate again!”

Fusspot · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2019

“Have been on this for 2 years on and off. Sometimes it controls my blood pressure, most times not. Side effects for me are blocked nose, some throat thickening in that my throat feels tight. Slight depression and quite a bit of anxiety. Have tried other BP medication but can't get right combination.”

Jodie · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2020

“After only being on this candesartan for 2 days for high blood pressure my blood pressure is now normal 108/76 and I was also pleasantly surprised to find my chronic sinus headaches have gone too plus my insomnia is gone also. Negative are tiredness muscle aches and back pain.”

missmouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“I have been on candesartan (high blood pressure) for about 2 months and I have had nothing but issues. Lots of side effects. I had been on this a few years ago and the same thing happened. I will not be taking these again.”

Fanny · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

“I've been on Candesartan 8 mg. for about 4 months. I take it at night and it really helps me sleep! BP came down nice. My problem is, it makes me feel tired all day. Really push myself to keep active, but all I want to do most afternoons is nap!”

Micko · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 4, 2020

“Have been on Candesartan 4mg for 6 months with no noticeable side effects. It wasn't bringing my BP down enough, 170/90 morning and 150/85 rest of the day. GP increased to 8mg and it seems to be having more effect but need to give a few weeks to be sure, I check myself. On 8mg I sweat a lot mainly in the afternoon, it's not a normal sweat but a cold clammy type. I tried taking the tablet at night or morning but it makes no difference.”

Kimmy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2020

“Have only been on this blood pressure candesartan for a month . Have been experiencing dizziness and really sore neck. Thinking what have I done to myself. Then arrhhh moment hit me must be this blood pressure pill. Thanks for all these review. Made me realize Its medications and not brain tumor. Ha ha”

Babsy71 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 24, 2021

“Hi all thanks for all your comments has helped been on candesartan 4 and 2mg along with with amilodipine 10mg which was reduced to 5mg. Now my bp is too low so doctor reduced the candesartan to 2mg and off amioldipine as caused legs to swell. I go to doctors next week to see if bp ok. Fingers crossed as I feel so tired and weak and don’t sleep much, I wake up early hours so am so exhausted. Any ideas out there can help me.”

MR R · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

“Took Candesartan for 3 days. Whilst on it, tingling in hands, aching jaw, dizziness for a few hours. Stomach fullness started and stomach distended 3 days off and stomach not right, now got higher back pain. Going back the to doctors to get something different!”

Encourager · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 1, 2019

“This drug brought my BP down but relaxed my esophageal sphincter. Got acid reflux, but I'm healed in after surgery and prayer. Nobody told me this. I stumbled on it while doing research that this can be a side effect. Taking olive leaf extract, 1000 mg per day. Seems to be working. Getting off of this Atacand as soon as I can.”

Dilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“I've been on this drug for approx one month and finally went a a chiropractor for extreme neck pain radiating to back of my head. When that didn't improve my condition so I researched the side effects of this med. Guess what! neck pain! I stopped them yesterday and already am feeling a bit better. Also don't feel so tired and achy now too. No Advil yet today....will do my own research now on other meds for high Bp and try to find one with a side effect I can live with. Then I will revisit my GP”

kuchleran February 6, 2008

Atacand (candesartan): “Started Atacand HCT with BP ~ 180/90 & bad headache. Five hours later with BP unchanged, took 2 aspirin for headache after verifying compatibility with manufacturer. Two hours later BP 132/77. Fifteen hours after first dose, took second dose of Atacand HCT with BP 166/93. BP remained at ~ 160/90 for next 14 hours. After two doses, six aspirin, and 36 hours, BP dropped to ~ 135/78 and stayed. After a month, a high BP reading was 141/76 and a low 105/66. Noted: lim BP increase with exertion.”

ckeays · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2021

“My blood pressure is not seriously high, however attempts to lower my BP with diet and exercise have failed so I tried Candesartan. I started off with 2 mg then 4mg and then 8mg. I found when I increased the dose, my BP readings increased! The side effects are horrible. I am a fit guy, age 56. I don't drink, no drugs and I am very active. Taking Candesartan is making me sleep 2 -3 hours in the middle of the day even though I had a good night sleep. I will NEVER take this drug again. It's too bad that the rating scale isn't in the minus, I would rate -10!!”

catmad September 11, 2021

“I was on Amlodipine but they were making my ankles swell so badly. Doc put me on 8mg Candesartan. My blood pressure started to rise not lower, I had bad pain in my jaw, to the point I thought it was my back molar tooth. Dentist said it wasn't my tooth but maybe a gum infection, 5 days of antibiotics and no let up of pain. I was taking up to 10 pain relievers a day. Blood pressure into the 170/103. no less than 147/90 for weeks. Asked doc if tooth pain could be causing this, he said yes. Back to emergency appointment to the dentist. Told me nothing wrong with my tooth, must be gum disease. I mentioned my blood pressure being high because of pain, he then asked if I was taking tablets for it. Found out then it could be the tablets causing my pain and high blood pressure. I stopped taking the Candesartan straight away, and after a week off them, happy to say my blood pressure is back to normal, and tooth pain fading away nicely.”

Peter · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 13, 2018

“35-year-old Caucasian male. I have taken this drug (the + version with the hydrochlorothizide diuretic) for several years and it has kept my blood pressure where it should be. No side effects. I initially switched to this ARB due to the persistent cough associated with ACE inhibitors. Recommended”

Northernsoul · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 24, 2020

“Replying to Paul7, I was on 4mg Candesartan for 2 years & I could not sleep at night due to the side effect of nasal congestion plus urinal tract infection. I have switched recently to Indapamide 1.5mg SR diuretic which seems to work well along with my Amlodipine 5mg. Statins also gave me sinus/nasal problems so I have reduced the dosage and now fine. Hope this helps.”

Reene · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2021

“Been on this drug now for 6 weeks also amplodipine 5mg, 8 mg candastatin only side effect is swollen ankles not sure which one is causing this. Don't like being on them, don't like taking them, but BP has come down, maybe Doc will reduce them soon I hope so. I was told by another GP statins side effects are worse than problem?”

yorky · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2019

“I started off on lowest dose of candesartan for high blood pressure, then I was increased to current 32mg over 12 months. Luckily I had no side effects, but no effect on BP at all! I started off at 160+/90+ hr 70+/- and I am still at that now. I'm 56 years old, not overweight eat healthily, now on clopidogrel as well and low dose omeprazole (16 years) ,feel like I'm starting to rattle!!”