User Reviews for Candesartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Atacand

Candesartan Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Candesartan

paul7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

“I was given these candesartan to control my blood pressure they have caused severe nasal problems for months and constantly needing to clear my throat and dry mouth not great during a pandemic when you cant get to see a doctor-has anyone else experienced nasal problems with this medication as I know it is one of the listed side effects ?”

MR R · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

“Took Candesartan for 3 days. Whilst on it, tingling in hands, aching jaw, dizziness for a few hours. Stomach fullness started and stomach distended 3 days off and stomach not right, now got higher back pain. Going back the to doctors to get something different!”

Micko · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 4, 2020

“Have been on Candesartan 4mg for 6 months with no noticeable side effects. It wasn't bringing my BP down enough, 170/90 morning and 150/85 rest of the day. GP increased to 8mg and it seems to be having more effect but need to give a few weeks to be sure, I check myself. On 8mg I sweat a lot mainly in the afternoon, it's not a normal sweat but a cold clammy type. I tried taking the tablet at night or morning but it makes no difference.”

Jodie · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2020

“After only being on this candesartan for 2 days for high blood pressure my blood pressure is now normal 108/76 and I was also pleasantly surprised to find my chronic sinus headaches have gone too plus my insomnia is gone also. Negative are tiredness muscle aches and back pain.”

Kimmy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2020

“Have only been on this blood pressure candesartan for a month . Have been experiencing dizziness and really sore neck. Thinking what have I done to myself. Then arrhhh moment hit me must be this blood pressure pill. Thanks for all these review. Made me realize Its medications and not brain tumor. Ha ha”

Dilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“I've been on this drug for approx one month and finally went a a chiropractor for extreme neck pain radiating to back of my head. When that didn't improve my condition so I researched the side effects of this med. Guess what! neck pain! I stopped them yesterday and already am feeling a bit better. Also don't feel so tired and achy now too. No Advil yet today....will do my own research now on other meds for high Bp and try to find one with a side effect I can live with. Then I will revisit my GP”

missmouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“I have been on candesartan (high blood pressure) for about 2 months and I have had nothing but issues. Lots of side effects. I had been on this a few years ago and the same thing happened. I will not be taking these again.”

Pillboy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2020

“Taken after many others didn’t work... I’ve be on 8mg candesartan for 6 months. My BP is no lower so doctor decides 16mg is the way to go!!? One week gone blood pressure higher I feel like garbage. Tired body feels like I’m about 115 years old. I stopped the drug a while back. Few days felt like normal again. The 16mg tablet seems to be causing me peeing problems. Very weak flow and not emptying my bladder. I have issues but so much better normally. Hopefully someone can give me some advice but I’m stopping and will watch my blood pressure from home... often 138/90ish Oh the 16mg BP is 172/112 and face flushing Love to hear from others Thanks in advance”

tony · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2020

“dry mouth, excees of sweat, sore throat, cough, depression ,dizzy, tired”

Chooky · Taken for 10 years or more December 2, 2019

“I have been on Atacand Plus 32mg for the last 10 years after a stroke, I was allergic to other medications and have been very happy with them as my BP rarely gets above 130. I also take Lercandipine 20 mg recently I've started having back aches and flu like symptoms I've also lost my appetite have no energy just feel exhausted all the time so think it's time to discuss with doctor if a change of medication is needed I don't know if Atacand can build up in the body or not. I have blood tests regularly and they have always been good”

Herby September 10, 2019

“I have been taking 4mg Candesartan for around 18 months along with 5mg Amlodipine taken at the same time of day. I used to take ACE inhibitor Lisinopril but found the constant coughing and clearing of my throat too much, hence switching to Candesartan. To my utter disappointment I found the coughing, clearing of my throat along with wheezing in bed at night did not go away. Now I am a 61 year old ‘fit’ male who has never ever smoked and does a lot of mountain/fell walking etc. I decided to drop Candesartan altogether and can you believe my coughing has stopped by around 80% so I am now torn at what to do next whether to see my GP and try something else or not. However all this said I have not eliminated the Amlodipine yet but I have researched on the web with an overall consensus that Amlodipine does ‘not’ cause upper respiratory problems or coughs. So I guess I have got a little more experiments do yet. I hope this helps some of you.”

Harry · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 7, 2019

“I was prescribed this drug to control my high blood pressure of 165/110. I tried other drugs but suffered bad side effects. I'm on the combo Atacand of 16/12.5 and 4mg. My blood pressure is under 140/90 and I have only occasional shortness of breath when exercising. As a great side effect is my ability to hold an erection stronger and longer - something that was missing before.”

Fusspot · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2019

“Have been on this for 2 years on and off. Sometimes it controls my blood pressure, most times not. Side effects for me are blocked nose, some throat thickening in that my throat feels tight. Slight depression and quite a bit of anxiety. Have tried other BP medication but can't get right combination.”

Chester Field · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2019

“works well at 8 mg brought numbers from 160/95 to 120/75 only interaction is palpitations especially with a couple glasses of wine”

Encourager · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 1, 2019

“This drug brought my BP down but relaxed my esophageal sphincter. Got acid reflux, but I'm healed in after surgery and prayer. Nobody told me this. I stumbled on it while doing research that this can be a side effect. Taking olive leaf extract, 1000 mg per day. Seems to be working. Getting off of this Atacand as soon as I can.”

Fanny · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

“I've been on Candesartan 8 mg. for about 4 months. I take it at night and it really helps me sleep! BP came down nice. My problem is, it makes me feel tired all day. Really push myself to keep active, but all I want to do most afternoons is nap!”

yorky · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2019

“I started off on lowest dose of candesartan for high blood pressure, then I was increased to current 32mg over 12 months. Luckily I had no side effects, but no effect on BP at all! I started off at 160+/90+ hr 70+/- and I am still at that now. I'm 56 years old, not overweight eat healthily, now on clopidogrel as well and low dose omeprazole (16 years) ,feel like I'm starting to rattle!!”

Simon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 12, 2019

“Tried Calcium Channel blocker and felt ill and tired. Tries AEB and gave me cough. Candisartan brought blood pressure down to normal and no side effects”

Bryan August 26, 2018

“I have been on candasartan for over a year. It upset my tummy a lot”

Multi-Condition-Survivor · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 20, 2018

“I'm a multi-stroke survivor who has silent migraines with auras; malignant hypertension (MHP)and Crohn's. Have tried many BP medications but the adverse effects I couldn't tolerated, especially the dizziness (already a fall risk after the strokes). A doctor seeing that I'm sensitive to medications and hypokalemic, put me on Candesartan as it's a potassium sparing medication; has a strong BP lowering effect; and less side-effects than ACE inhibitors. No adverse effects. One of the few medications that is like a sugar pill to me to take. It's not enough to control my MHP itself even at 32mg, but combined with another and a water pill it can get my 230/120 BP down to 120/80s. I still have silent migraines with auras with Candesartan, but it, and elimination of caffeine, reduces the auras to about once a month. Overall, very pleased with the medication.”

Peter · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 13, 2018

“35-year-old Caucasian male. I have taken this drug (the + version with the hydrochlorothizide diuretic) for several years and it has kept my blood pressure where it should be. No side effects. I initially switched to this ARB due to the persistent cough associated with ACE inhibitors. Recommended”

Val · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2018

Atacand (candesartan): “I had shortness of breath, puffy left foot, itchy scalp, weight gain abdominal fullness, loose bowels, and still had high blood pressure. When I was taking 32mg I also dark urine, joint pain muscle calf pain. I could not walk far I had been walking between 3 and 4 klms daily ended up not being able to walk half a kilometre. This drug did not make me feel better. I started off on 8mg - that was ok, then 16mg ok but at 32mg dose I had huge problems”

Rita · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2018

“Been on Candesartan for over a year. The side effects are terrible headaches, tingling of face and arm, insomnia, constant fatigue, dry cough, constant need of clearing throat. The list goes on! I don't recommend it!”

Janjann · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 28, 2017

Atacand (candesartan): “The only medication that controls my blood press all the time, even when in a stressful situation. Still have to take a diuretic. No hot flashes or ear draining.”

CC234 June 3, 2017

“I experienced side effects that included muscular pain, especially in the arms, shoulders and neck, as well as fatigue, inability to concentrate in the evenings, and slight depression. As soon as I reduced the medication, I began to feel better. After a week of taking half of the dose, my doctor took me off. I now feel 10 years younger. I have no pain, I am much less tired and I can concentrate again!”