User Reviews for Candesartan

Also known as: Atacand

Learn more about Candesartan.

High Blood Pressure 11 reviews 264 medications

6.2
Migraine Prevention 5 reviews 30 medications

4.2
Summary of Candesartan reviews 16 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Candesartan

For Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed this drug for migraine prevention,starting at 4mg and increasing the dosage by 4mg until I got to 16mg,if the migraines had not improved. They didn't and the side effects I experienced were extremely loud tinnitus at 8mg and above,hair loss,acid reflux resulting in the need to take omeprazole to counteract this,insomnia,hot sweats,nausea and weight gain of 22lb due to the fact of feeling so ill,I was unable to do regular exercise.Not a nice drug and did not reduce the severity of my migraine."

Nettie 1964 October 24, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "My neurologist recommended candesartan for my migraines. I was already on Nortriptyline and getting good results. The idea was that I could stop my high blood pressure medication and use a single drug to manage both. Candesartan has worked extremely well. It has reduced my migraines from 1-2 per week to 1-2 per month. I found it works better than Nortriptyline for me. Plus is also helps to control my high blood pressure. The only problem I have are rebound headaches if I miss more than 1 dose. It takes only 2 days before I'm hit with severe migraines if I stop."

Paul05 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I took Candesartan to prevent chronic migraines. Instead, it started triggering them on a daily basis. Once I realized the medication was the culprit, I stopped taking it. My neuro prescribed me 10 mg amitriptyline, which stopped the daily migraines, but like another reviewer wrote, it took approximately two weeks for me to stop experiencing severe anxiety and panic caused by the Candesartan. It was a horrible drug for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm in the UK and was prescribed Candesartan for migraine prorphilaxys and mild hypertension ~10 months ago and it's been a complete success. Was instructed to titrate dose from 8 mg up to 32mg, but stopped at 16mg as 32mg was making me drowsy. Migraines have reduced from > 1 per week to 1 every 2 - 3 months, which is a huge benefit."

Singer63 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 12, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks . Quality of life has decreased..Sometimes does not lower blood pressure. Have asked my doctor to switch me to another receptor blockers called Teteven."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 30, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "At my request following online research I asked my GP to change me from Losartan to Candesartan as I was not getting satisfactory BP control. In less than a week my BP has gone from 160/89 down to 135/80 on 12mgs. I feel fantastic and have no obvious side effects. I wish I'd made the change sooner."

Janhoppo (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I had a horrible experience on candesartan. I tapered up from 4 mg to 16 mg over a period of 6 weeks. Before 16 mg, there was no effect on my migraines, which I usually get around 6 times/month. The day I started taking 16 mg, however, the candesartan triggered daily migraines, which has never happened to me before in the 15 years since I started getting migraines (I'm now 44). It took me 4 days to realize the candesartan was triggering the migraines, at which point I stopped cold turkey. The daily migraines then continued for 6 more days until I started taking Amitriptyline 10 mg. As well as daily migraines, I also experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and loss of appetite once I stopped the candesartan."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effects for me are headaches, muscle pain & insomnia"

Davelom August 26, 2015

Atacand (candesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Chronic sinus and ear drainage"

cazzie123 September 3, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on this for quite a while, and problems have increased over that period. I seem to be suffering from all the side effects which are supposed to be relatively uncommon."

Erictheowl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2013

Atacand (candesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Did not help blood pressure at all. Made pulse go high-106 at one point. Went back to Cozaar."

Anonymous September 29, 2011

Atacand (candesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "This medicine caused me to have hot flashes, after taking it for a week."

donlwashington June 3, 2010

For High Blood Pressure: "Dry cough a nuisance but this is the best of all the medications used to treat my husband's hypertension."

Redjudy May 12, 2010

Atacand (candesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "So far so good at 8mg of Atacand."

veronica#1 August 29, 2009

For High Blood Pressure: "I have high blood pressure(BP), about 140/100 and after several studies the doctor assigned me Xiletil (Candesartan Cilexetil). After 1 week, my BP dropped to 130/80 and 1 month after to 120/80. I truly recommmend this product. So far it hasn't caused any side effects on me."

JuanH July 18, 2008

Atacand (candesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Started Atacand HCT with BP ~ 180/90 & bad headache. Five hours later with BP unchanged, took 2 aspirin for headache after verifying compatibility with manufacturer. Two hours later BP 132/77. Fifteen hours after first dose, took second dose of Atacand HCT with BP 166/93. BP remained at ~ 160/90 for next 14 hours. After two doses, six aspirin, and 36 hours, BP dropped to ~ 135/78 and stayed. After a month, a high BP reading was 141/76 and a low 105/66. Noted: lim BP increase with exertion."

kuchleran February 6, 2008

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate