User Reviews for Candesartan

Also known as: Atacand

Candesartan has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 94 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

High Blood Pressure
Migraine Prevention  Off-label
7.1
Heart Failure
Summary of Candesartan reviews 5.8 94 reviews

Reviews for Candesartan

candesartantheworst June 3, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “2 days after starting candesartan, I woke up with serious heart palpitations, and could not breathe. Whole body was vibrating. It took several hours for things to calm down. After 6 1/2 months of only sleeping 4 hours a night, waking up every morning with heart palpitations, trouble breathing, vibrating, and spending the first two hours trying to calm breathing down, slowing down heart rate, and calming the anxiety, decided to check the side effects list of this drug again and I believe it is side effects of this”

paul7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was given these candesartan to control my blood pressure they have caused severe nasal problems for months and constantly needing to clear my throat and dry mouth not great during a pandemic when you cant get to see a doctor-has anyone else experienced nasal problems with this medication as I know it is one of the listed side effects ?”

Pillboy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Taken after many others didn’t work... I’ve be on 8mg candesartan for 6 months. My BP is no lower so doctor decides 16mg is the way to go!!? One week gone blood pressure higher I feel like garbage. Tired body feels like I’m about 115 years old. I stopped the drug a while back. Few days felt like normal again. The 16mg tablet seems to be causing me peeing problems. Very weak flow and not emptying my bladder. I have issues but so much better normally. Hopefully someone can give me some advice but I’m stopping and will watch my blood pressure from home... often 138/90ish Oh the 16mg BP is 172/112 and face flushing Love to hear from others Thanks in advance”

Herby September 10, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking 4mg Candesartan for around 18 months along with 5mg Amlodipine taken at the same time of day. I used to take ACE inhibitor Lisinopril but found the constant coughing and clearing of my throat too much, hence switching to Candesartan. To my utter disappointment I found the coughing, clearing of my throat along with wheezing in bed at night did not go away. Now I am a 61 year old ‘fit’ male who has never ever smoked and does a lot of mountain/fell walking etc. I decided to drop Candesartan altogether and can you believe my coughing has stopped by around 80% so I am now torn at what to do next whether to see my GP and try something else or not. However all this said I have not eliminated the Amlodipine yet but I have researched on the web with an overall consensus that Amlodipine does ‘not’ cause upper respiratory problems or coughs. So I guess I have got a little more experiments do yet. I hope this helps some of you.”

Debbie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 13, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Have suffered from severe migraines all my life - I am now 55. Have been on 4 mg Candesartan daily for nearly eight months now - in that time have had NO migraines, which is unheard of for me! I can hardly believe there is a medication which works so well. Used to get at least one super bad migraine a fortnight. This has changed my life - I no longer live in terror of a migraine wrecking my health, my emotional state, my social life, work and other commitments. I have no side effects from this medication and am very happy to recommend it. I wish I'd discovered it forty years ago and saved myself all that misery!”

Tired · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 26, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking candesartan for years and now have concluded that it is causing my nasal issues. My nose always feels clogged and I am a mouth breather which in turn causes a lot of dental issues. Now with the COVID-19 virus and having to wear a mask this has become an even bigger issue. I thought my problems may be caused by this drug and after reading a lot of the reviews I am sure it is. May also be the cause of sleeping and stomach issues as well. It has been effective to lower my bp but I don’t like the side effects since I am a very active person and it is slowing me down.”

Val · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2018

Atacand (candesartan) for High Blood Pressure: “I had shortness of breath, puffy left foot, itchy scalp, weight gain abdominal fullness, loose bowels, and still had high blood pressure. When I was taking 32mg I also dark urine, joint pain muscle calf pain. I could not walk far I had been walking between 3 and 4 klms daily ended up not being able to walk half a kilometre. This drug did not make me feel better. I started off on 8mg - that was ok, then 16mg ok but at 32mg dose I had huge problems”

Chronic February 24, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “candesartan has been life changing. Been on every med possible for migraines, did allergy testing, reiki healing, chiropractor (this one was a terrible choice as it damaged my neck disks long story but never again) I did yoga, Pilates, massage, I tried everything. Had migraines since I was 17 now 46. They have progressively got worse over the years with nausea, vomiting, numbness in arm, sensitive to light so wore shades all the time. I was hospitalised recently as thought I was having a stroke. Put on these candesartan tablets starting at 3mg and increasing every two weeks until I reached 16mg. I used to wake up each morning with migraines got up to 15 migraines bad ones a month and headaches for the rest. I got tired of living as I could never plan anything or arrange to meet up with anyone as I would wake with a migraine. Since I have been on these they have given me my life back I can look towards the bright sky, I wake with no pain, I can plan events and I am more calmer. Give these ago if you have migraines.”

Rita · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Been on Candesartan for over a year. The side effects are terrible headaches, tingling of face and arm, insomnia, constant fatigue, dry cough, constant need of clearing throat. The list goes on! I don't recommend it!”

CC234 June 3, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “I experienced side effects that included muscular pain, especially in the arms, shoulders and neck, as well as fatigue, inability to concentrate in the evenings, and slight depression. As soon as I reduced the medication, I began to feel better. After a week of taking half of the dose, my doctor took me off. I now feel 10 years younger. I have no pain, I am much less tired and I can concentrate again!”

Fusspot · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Have been on this for 2 years on and off. Sometimes it controls my blood pressure, most times not. Side effects for me are blocked nose, some throat thickening in that my throat feels tight. Slight depression and quite a bit of anxiety. Have tried other BP medication but can't get right combination.”

Micko · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 4, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Have been on Candesartan 4mg for 6 months with no noticeable side effects. It wasn't bringing my BP down enough, 170/90 morning and 150/85 rest of the day. GP increased to 8mg and it seems to be having more effect but need to give a few weeks to be sure, I check myself. On 8mg I sweat a lot mainly in the afternoon, it's not a normal sweat but a cold clammy type. I tried taking the tablet at night or morning but it makes no difference.”

Jodie · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “After only being on this candesartan for 2 days for high blood pressure my blood pressure is now normal 108/76 and I was also pleasantly surprised to find my chronic sinus headaches have gone too plus my insomnia is gone also. Negative are tiredness muscle aches and back pain.”

MikeB · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 8, 2020

For Heart Failure: “Have finally stopped candesartan and I can't believe how much better I feel ! I Have been on 8 mg for 3 years and have tried to increase dosage (consultants wanted me to increase to 32 mg ) but have resisted because of side effects when I increased dosage. I wasn't aware of how bad the side effects of 8 mg were and put them down to my heart condition and ageing! Now I don't get dizziness and feeling that I'm going to pass out, don't get breathless, heart rate is much more regular and I don't feel tired and fatigued all the time! Only negative is my average blood pressure reading has increased from 128/69 to 131/71. Stopping candesartan was like taking a miracle cure.”

justanotherstar · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “Has been a life changer for me. I suffered from chronic migraines. A day didn't go by without it happening, I would sometimes be awake all night as well. This led to a lot of time off work, with increased stress, which only made things worse. I was prescribed Topimarate, which I had to quit after only 3 days due to awful side effects for me. Propranolol worked amazingly but I suffer from asthma and it made my attacks very worrying as my inhaler would not work to combat the asthma. Candesartan, at only 8mg a day, has made my life worth living. It has reduced the constant daily throbbing to practically nothing. I have my sense of humour back and a reason for getting out of work. Also, for me, zero side effects. Incredible.”

Fanny · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been on Candesartan 8 mg. for about 4 months. I take it at night and it really helps me sleep! BP came down nice. My problem is, it makes me feel tired all day. Really push myself to keep active, but all I want to do most afternoons is nap!”

ej96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “Started candesartan in November after being diagnosed with chronic migraine to the point where I had one every day and I felt hopeless. Was given Pizotifen but that left me feeling very depressed so came off. Candesartan seems to work for me so far. Was on 4mg at night, then titrated up to 8- then 16mg. 16mg was too much for me because of feeling a bit faint (I’d say that’s the main side effect, that I felt anyway otherwise it’s really good if you don’t like side effects). I’d say take it at night if you have BP issues, to save that side effect. So I’m adjusting to 12mg at night and that seems to have got my headaches under control for now and severity reduced a lot so I’m happy. Hope it helps you.”

Babsy71 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 24, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Hi all thanks for all your comments has helped been on candesartan 4 and 2mg along with with amilodipine 10mg which was reduced to 5mg. Now my bp is too low so doctor reduced the candesartan to 2mg and off amioldipine as caused legs to swell. I go to doctors next week to see if bp ok. Fingers crossed as I feel so tired and weak and don’t sleep much, I wake up early hours so am so exhausted. Any ideas out there can help me.”

MR R · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Took Candesartan for 3 days. Whilst on it, tingling in hands, aching jaw, dizziness for a few hours. Stomach fullness started and stomach distended 3 days off and stomach not right, now got higher back pain. Going back the to doctors to get something different!”

missmouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on candesartan (high blood pressure) for about 2 months and I have had nothing but issues. Lots of side effects. I had been on this a few years ago and the same thing happened. I will not be taking these again.”

Kimmy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Have only been on this blood pressure candesartan for a month . Have been experiencing dizziness and really sore neck. Thinking what have I done to myself. Then arrhhh moment hit me must be this blood pressure pill. Thanks for all these review. Made me realize Its medications and not brain tumor. Ha ha”

Jan · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I am 66 and had migraines from the age of 32 - so for 34 years. I managed them well with either pink/yellow migraleve. None of the other migraine drugs worked for me. 5 years ago I developed overnight status migraines. Which were horrendous. My life as I knew it ended. I have always been sociable and capable. It all disappeared. I was constantly terrified of an attack which was preceded by an aura and vomiting. I was prescribed amitrypiline - beta blockers - zoimig - nothing worked. My life to all intents and purposes was over. My neurologist suggested candasarten. After 2 days I felt different on 12mg per day. It is over 3 years now and I am back. I still get a migraine but they are manageable. I am so grateful.”

Encourager · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 1, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “This drug brought my BP down but relaxed my esophageal sphincter. Got acid reflux, but I'm healed in after surgery and prayer. Nobody told me this. I stumbled on it while doing research that this can be a side effect. Taking olive leaf extract, 1000 mg per day. Seems to be working. Getting off of this Atacand as soon as I can.”

Myrthe · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “As I have a low blood pressure I was hesitant to try this medicine. However, the dizziness subsided after only a few days. After that, no migraine for a couple months! They have come back though, so I will start a higher dose as of today (the maximum dose of 32 mg). Until now very positive! It’s been a life saver”

Dilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been on this drug for approx one month and finally went a a chiropractor for extreme neck pain radiating to back of my head. When that didn't improve my condition so I researched the side effects of this med. Guess what! neck pain! I stopped them yesterday and already am feeling a bit better. Also don't feel so tired and achy now too. No Advil yet today....will do my own research now on other meds for high Bp and try to find one with a side effect I can live with. Then I will revisit my GP”