User Reviews for Candesartan to treat Migraine Prevention

Also known as: Atacand

Candesartan has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 32 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 66% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Candesartan Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Candesartan

Debbie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 13, 2020

“Have suffered from severe migraines all my life - I am now 55. Have been on 4 mg Candesartan daily for nearly eight months now - in that time have had NO migraines, which is unheard of for me! I can hardly believe there is a medication which works so well. Used to get at least one super bad migraine a fortnight. This has changed my life - I no longer live in terror of a migraine wrecking my health, my emotional state, my social life, work and other commitments. I have no side effects from this medication and am very happy to recommend it. I wish I'd discovered it forty years ago and saved myself all that misery!”

Chronic February 24, 2020

“candesartan has been life changing. Been on every med possible for migraines, did allergy testing, reiki healing, chiropractor (this one was a terrible choice as it damaged my neck disks long story but never again) I did yoga, Pilates, massage, I tried everything. Had migraines since I was 17 now 46. They have progressively got worse over the years with nausea, vomiting, numbness in arm, sensitive to light so wore shades all the time. I was hospitalised recently as thought I was having a stroke. Put on these candesartan tablets starting at 3mg and increasing every two weeks until I reached 16mg. I used to wake up each morning with migraines got up to 15 migraines bad ones a month and headaches for the rest. I got tired of living as I could never plan anything or arrange to meet up with anyone as I would wake with a migraine. Since I have been on these they have given me my life back I can look towards the bright sky, I wake with no pain, I can plan events and I am more calmer. Give these ago if you have migraines.”

justanotherstar · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2018

“Has been a life changer for me. I suffered from chronic migraines. A day didn't go by without it happening, I would sometimes be awake all night as well. This led to a lot of time off work, with increased stress, which only made things worse. I was prescribed Topimarate, which I had to quit after only 3 days due to awful side effects for me. Propranolol worked amazingly but I suffer from asthma and it made my attacks very worrying as my inhaler would not work to combat the asthma. Candesartan, at only 8mg a day, has made my life worth living. It has reduced the constant daily throbbing to practically nothing. I have my sense of humour back and a reason for getting out of work. Also, for me, zero side effects. Incredible.”

ej96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2021

“Started candesartan in November after being diagnosed with chronic migraine to the point where I had one every day and I felt hopeless. Was given Pizotifen but that left me feeling very depressed so came off. Candesartan seems to work for me so far. Was on 4mg at night, then titrated up to 8- then 16mg. 16mg was too much for me because of feeling a bit faint (I’d say that’s the main side effect, that I felt anyway otherwise it’s really good if you don’t like side effects). I’d say take it at night if you have BP issues, to save that side effect. So I’m adjusting to 12mg at night and that seems to have got my headaches under control for now and severity reduced a lot so I’m happy. Hope it helps you.”

Jan · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2020

“I am 66 and had migraines from the age of 32 - so for 34 years. I managed them well with either pink/yellow migraleve. None of the other migraine drugs worked for me. 5 years ago I developed overnight status migraines. Which were horrendous. My life as I knew it ended. I have always been sociable and capable. It all disappeared. I was constantly terrified of an attack which was preceded by an aura and vomiting. I was prescribed amitrypiline - beta blockers - zoimig - nothing worked. My life to all intents and purposes was over. My neurologist suggested candasarten. After 2 days I felt different on 12mg per day. It is over 3 years now and I am back. I still get a migraine but they are manageable. I am so grateful.”

Myrthe · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2021

“As I have a low blood pressure I was hesitant to try this medicine. However, the dizziness subsided after only a few days. After that, no migraine for a couple months! They have come back though, so I will start a higher dose as of today (the maximum dose of 32 mg). Until now very positive! It’s been a life saver”

kmh123 September 14, 2017

“I have suffered with migraines for the past 34 years. I had chronic acute migraines (18-27 per month). I have been on more preventive medications than I can count. My neurologist put me on candesartan because nothing else had worked. I started at 4 mg and now take 8mg. In the three months that I have been on candesartan, I have only had a handful of very treatable migraines. I feel like my life is in my control now and my migraines no longer control me.”

sbug1 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 15, 2020

“Have migraines and tried topiramate (horrific) propranolol (made hair super thin) nebivolol ( had to continually increase dose ) to prevent migraines.... then went 'cold turkey' which was hellish. Finally then prescribed Candesartan which I have been on a low dose (16mg) for a year, and now just 1-2 'average' migraines a ,month, which I can manage with triptans. a godsend!”

B February 20, 2020

“I have been on many meds to control my migraines that I had once a week for 3 days, then fatigue and brain fog for 3 days after that After coming off Topiramate because of the awful side effects I was prescribed candesartan 16mg. Been taking it for 3 months now. I still have a weekly migraine but only for few hours. Only side effect I seem to have is an intermittent runny nose. I actually feel like I have my life back.”

Ang · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2018

“I have been suffering from migraines increasingly since 2000. I have tried about 10 different drugs for prophylaxis and only sodium valproate worked at 1g per day. It then stopped working. Candesartan 8mg has been a complete breakthrough. 4mg was no good but since I have been on 8mg I have got my life back. I’ve taken it for about a year now.”

Toni · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

“I started to take this for high blood pressure a month ago. Since then I haven't had any proper migraine. The treatment for me was effective within 2 days. I used to have 2 / 3 migraines per week. Therefore, if this would work forever, it would be the best treatment I have taken in my whole life. I hope the effect doesn't start to fade away; however, I only take 2mg, and I have seen that there are higher doses...so I feel optimistic that I will work for long.”

Nettie 1964 October 24, 2016

“I was prescribed this drug for migraine prevention,starting at 4mg and increasing the dosage by 4mg until I got to 16mg,if the migraines had not improved. They didn't and the side effects I experienced were extremely loud tinnitus at 8mg and above,hair loss,acid reflux resulting in the need to take omeprazole to counteract this,insomnia,hot sweats,nausea and weight gain of 22lb due to the fact of feeling so ill,I was unable to do regular exercise.Not a nice drug and did not reduce the severity of my migraine.”

Thelovelyjho · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2018

“I am so shocked this worked. And at such a lose dose. First time I have been migraine free since I started having migraines. Minor side effects like leg cramping which are annoying but no where near as bad as migraines. So happy!!”

Tess73 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 7, 2020

“I’ve been taking Candesartan for about 6 months now. I have tried many other migraine preventatives over the years but nothing has lasted. This medication has decreased my daily migraines to just a few a month . It hasn’t had any impact on my menstrual migraines though. I started on 4mg and now on 8mg . Only side effects I can complain about is dizziness if I stand up too fast or over exert myself . I have also found it increases the effects of any pain killers I take, so I try to take any pain meds a few hours before taking the Candesartan which seems to help. I finally have my life back !”

Paul05 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 9, 2016

“My neurologist recommended candesartan for my migraines. I was already on Nortriptyline and getting good results. The idea was that I could stop my high blood pressure medication and use a single drug to manage both. Candesartan has worked extremely well. It has reduced my migraines from 1-2 per week to 1-2 per month. I found it works better than Nortriptyline for me. Plus is also helps to control my high blood pressure. The only problem I have are rebound headaches if I miss more than 1 dose. It takes only 2 days before I'm hit with severe migraines if I stop.”

Lolly · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2019

“I started Candestartan 2 weeks ago for migraine prevention. It had helped but has caused severe bruising and leg pain, possibly blood clots. I am stopping the 8mg candesartan immediately under medical advice. Withdrawal symptoms are awful. Almost as bad as migraine.”

Singer63 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 12, 2016

“I'm in the UK and was prescribed Candesartan for migraine prorphilaxys and mild hypertension ~10 months ago and it's been a complete success. Was instructed to titrate dose from 8 mg up to 32mg, but stopped at 16mg as 32mg was making me drowsy. Migraines have reduced from > 1 per week to 1 every 2 - 3 months, which is a huge benefit.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2015

“I had a horrible experience on candesartan. I tapered up from 4 mg to 16 mg over a period of 6 weeks. Before 16 mg, there was no effect on my migraines, which I usually get around 6 times/month. The day I started taking 16 mg, however, the candesartan triggered daily migraines, which has never happened to me before in the 15 years since I started getting migraines (I'm now 44). It took me 4 days to realize the candesartan was triggering the migraines, at which point I stopped cold turkey. The daily migraines then continued for 6 more days until I started taking Amitriptyline 10 mg. As well as daily migraines, I also experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and loss of appetite once I stopped the candesartan.”

Null · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2020

“Taking candesartan to prevent 3-4 migraines/week, possibly exaggerated by spinal issues in the neck. Tapered to 16mg dose in 4 weeks time. Tapering felt like taking a sugar pill. At 16mg I did experience some dizziness, especially with hot weather or hot meals. Now I've settled in at 2 months, and my energy and libido is really low. It does seem to stop the some of my migraine attacks, but these low energy states with mild headache persist almost all every day. Especially in the morning I can hardly stay awake and feel like fainting. I don't think this is the right medicine for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2016

“I took Candesartan to prevent chronic migraines. Instead, it started triggering them on a daily basis. Once I realized the medication was the culprit, I stopped taking it. My neuro prescribed me 10 mg amitriptyline, which stopped the daily migraines, but like another reviewer wrote, it took approximately two weeks for me to stop experiencing severe anxiety and panic caused by the Candesartan. It was a horrible drug for me.”

RobertWilliam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 10, 2020

“I have severe Aura migraine, so I get a prescription from my Doctor, Candesatan, beginning with 8mg up to 32mg. When on Candersatan I have more Aura(zigzag) attacks then before using the Candersatan,so I started to back the medication from 32mg to 8mg and now I take no drug for migraine prevention. My Doctor said: Try Topimax instead, to see if this can help instead! I really don't know if it's worth it, but have anyone used Candersatan and then went to Topimax and got reduced Aura migraine? It would help me to know from anyones experience. Also. I tested to take an ibuprofen under an Aura(zigZag) attack and 10 minutes later, I have two auras at the same time instead! No Ibuprofen for me. Thanks in advance. Bob”

Bella June 3, 2020

“I have taking Cardesartan 4 mg for 2 months for migraine prevention, and I’m also a Diabetic type 2. It really worked well for me. My migraine went away for good. But my blood sugar went up from 5 in the morning to 8-9. I read about and there a component in Cardesartan that increased blood sugar.”

PGaugin July 15, 2021

“I am a 59yr old woman. I have had migraines since I was 10 yrs old. I had tried every treatment in NZ including Botox. I also tried Osteopath, massage, getting more sleep, watching what I ate…you name it and I tried it. I work and at one stage over 5 years ago I was so wracked with migraine I thought I would have to stop working. Then I read an article on Candesarten for migraine prevention. I took 16mg daily and for 5 years approx it was an absolute miracle like nothing I had ever experienced. I was now able to plan in advance knowing I would be able to go to work, socialise…just have a life! Now for some reason the headaches have returned and most mornings I am waking with a head full of pain. I am so disappointed! My luck has run out and I will now have to visit the Neurologist to see what my options are.”

Lottie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 24, 2020

“I’ve had Aura migraines since I were 10 (I’m now 25) and they have got increasingly worse. So much so I developed anxiety when I were 18 at the fear of getting them. Effecting my everyday life. I were prescribed 20mg Amitriptyline at 21 which I was on for 4 years. I found they helped with the anxiety but didn’t stop the attacks I were getting. Last summer my migraines spiked from 1 or 2 every other month to 5 in 3 weeks and I were prescribed 8mg Candestartan as confused as to why I were even taking a drug if it weren’t helping the core issue. From then until a month ago my migraines have actually increased! Recently I’ve had one every week for the past 3 months. I’ve now been jumped to 32mg and I’m nervous of the results! Fingers crossed it’ll reduce otherwise it’s back to the brain fog of Amitriptyline!”

saire · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2019

“I was prescribed Candesartan 8 mg for migraine prevention. I tried for a little over one month but unfortunately in my case it didn't help. The attacks remained just as frequent (>15 a month). Maybe the intensity of the attacks was a little reduced, but not considerably. I could not go on a higher dose because my blood pressure tends to be low at times. For this reason I was often feeling weak and dizzy when standing up. Other than this, I had no side effects.”