User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

Wellbutrin SR has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 126 ratings on Drugs.com. 63% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Depression
6.8
Major Depressive Disorder
8.1
Summary of Wellbutrin SR reviews 7.1 126 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

Caroline · Taken for 10 years or more May 10, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have been on Wellbutrin SR almost since it was available for use by the FDA. I started on the starter dose of 100mg Wellbutrin SR. I felt much better. Then my MD wanted me to try the next size increase, so I did. I had a bad reaction of paranoia, so I went back down to my starting dose. I have been on that dose ever since. With this medication I went from sleeping 14-18 hours, thinking nonstop about everything negative, to sleeping an average of 8 hrs with NO ruminating about negative thoughts. I went back to school and became an RN. I am an example of a huge success story on Wellbutrin. Before I started on Wellbutrin, I had tried all the other antidepressants on the market, with no success.”

Crissy123 May 12, 2014

For Depression: “I am a mother of 2 small children and I began this medication about 2 months ago after being on Celexa (which made me feel tired a lot and hungry all the time - I gained like 20 lbs on it). The first thing I noticed with Wellbutrin was a decreased appetite. Then I started to feel more alert - the same kind of alertness you would feel when taking Adderall. A few weeks into it, my mood was totally different. I was happy, calm, energetic - all the things that I wanted for so long, but never thought I could achieve, as I was very depressed. I was walking in a parking lot the other day and I thought to myself "wow. isn't life great?" - Wellbutrin is an AMAZING medication.”

Honnie G · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2016

For Depression: “Wow! I have been taking Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. for one week ( started October 15,2016) then 2nd week taking 150 mgs at 12:00. I have never taken any medication for my mild depression, easily agitated, sweating the small stuff, slightly obese (209 lbs), too tired after work to play with the kids diagnosis. Then, OMG, my life is forever changed. In my second week on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice per day, I down to 203 lbs.,I didn't realize how much agitation and sadness I was trying to manage on my own, I am a lot calmer when stressful situations arise, play with my kids & exercise. I feel like there is always a song in my heart. Unless, somebody does something really STUPID to PISS me off! But even then, I can forgive faster! God, I'm happy”

Bug · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Wellbutrin saved my life. I was at the point that I hated being around everyone. I could only manage to go to work and come back to my bed. I had no energy. I had no sex drive. I had no interest in ANYTHING. I wasn't sad...I just existed. I endured feeling like this for about a year. No breaks of feeling better. My doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin SR and it has changed my life. The first week was hard. The side effects were no joke. I had minor auditory and visual hallucinations and experienced my first panic attack of my life. BUT- my doctor asked me to push through it and I did. It has helped me quit smoking. I have lost 15 pounds and I am not lethargic anymore. It boosted my libido. I can be around people without wanting to flip out. I can concentrate at work again. I sleep 7-8 hours like most people. Instead of spending every moment I can in bed. If this is an option- I highly recommend Wellbutrin.”

Wife&Mom1 February 7, 2017

For Depression: “I have been on Wellbutrin for about four months. I can definitely say that it works very well. My symptoms before taking it were: mood swings, constant fatigue, irritable, very low to nonexistent sex drive & not able to finish anything I started. My first two weeks on Wellbutrin I had a rough go with side effects. Side effects were: couldn't sleep. Heavy/tight chest which resulted in a panic attack. Itchy palms & feet. I wanted so bad to stop taking it but Very glad I didn't. I feel great now and have lost 15lbs. The Sex drive has come back full force. Advice: take benadryl those first few weeks to help you sleep. Best choice I have made was asking my doctor for help.”

adult ADD and depression May 6, 2011

For ADHD: “I have never been on medicines for ADD. My parents refused, as an adult I found life to be difficult with this disorder. After taking Wellbutrin. Feel like my true self. Like a "normal" adult. I have focus and can complete tasks. I don't feel the need to stay in bed to avoid the world. This medicine has been a blessing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2013

For Depression: “I have ADD, anxiety and depression. I began 100mg once a day for a week then went to 100mg twice a day. You have to give this medicine time to work. The first I was thinking of not taking it anymore because it made me feel so tired. But I'm so happy I stuck it out! My overall mood, attitude and outlook has improved tremendously. My mood and attention is consistent, unlike when I took Adderall and would experience crashes. This medication has made a world of difference. I'm less anxious and happier.”

isa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 24, 2020

For Depression: “I've been taking Wellbutrin 150mg SR (generic) once a day for the past 6 months. I have had no negative side effects. It was originally prescribed to treat my Binge Eating disorder but it did nothing for it. BUT it did improve my depressed moods drastically! No needing check lists anymore to prompt me to do all the basic stuff a normal human being should be doing, like take a shower.. So for about 5 months I was not depressed anymore, I was also less anxious and had less intrusive thoughts. I now think, one month later (so after 6 months), that I should bump it to twice a day (like it's intended in the first place anyways) because my depression and intrusive thoughts are slowing coming back and ruining my attempts at self-care. In the past I took Paxil and Effexor. Paxil never worked. Effexor worked for a while (with bad side effects), then stopped working for me. I hope I have now found what will work for me long term!”

Nobody1100 November 16, 2014

For Depression: “I've been taking this medication for depression. I've been on it for about a year now. When I first started taking it I smoked about a pack a day. Over time this reduced my cravings for nicotine and helped me quit smoking. It took time and effort but it worked. Also when I started this medicine I weighed 207 lbs which was my highest weight. Wellbutrin caused weight loss for me and I now weigh 165. This medicine improves my overall mood and I am not as depressed as I was a year ago. I've also experienced hair shedding, which has become more and more of a problem. Sometimes it comes out in handfuls. I gave this medicine a 9 because mostly my side effects were positive. I don't know where I'd be without Wellbutrin.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2018

For Depression: “I tried to get by on 150 mg of bupropion but was getting weepy over little things and decided to ask to up my dosage and I am now on 300 mg. (The other 150 mg in the evening). I went through waking in the night as well as during the day with all kinds of negative feelings and gut wrenching crying. I really didn’t have side effects...I stayed away from people because I knew I was not quite “right” and didn’t want to make a “fool” of myself as I knew my thinking was a little askewed. I just today—-24 days into the increase in medication felt a break through and feel like I have a new lease on life...it is like I was teetering on the edge and have now slipped over into normalcy...”

corkandbeans · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2016

For Depression: “Hello All, I initially got put on Wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression. I'm taking the SR one once a day and I have been on it for less than a week. I have to say I have felt amazing. I am someone that is extremely active and I had always tried to be conscious of my diet, but I struggled with binge eating. I would eat healthy for 4 days and binge for 3. I'd feel awful and start over EVERY monday. It was really getting out of hand honestly and contributing to my mental state. I am 24 years old, 5'4 and my normal weight for my activity level was always 120. I got all the way up to 150 and could not understand why. In almost a week I've lost 5lbs its just falling off me now. I feel happy again and in control of my emotions and eating.”

donnataylor August 29, 2011

For Panic Disorder: “Before I started Wellbutrin SR, I had a severe panic disorder. I was prescribed Wellbutrin for another reason, but one side effect of it was to completely get rid of my panic attacks. I had a fear of driving over bridges, high places, and just driving. It has been a few years and I now see how unreasonable I was being and how my brain was overreacting. If anyone is having a problem with panic attacks, I would recommend to at least give Wellbutrin a try.”

tahoegrl · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2014

For Depression: “I was taking this for depression for about 3 years and it was a miracle for me. I stopped taking it when I lost my insurance for about a year. The result was a weight gain of 20 lbs and severe depression (again) I've been taking now about a year and the result is that I'm happy again. I lost 30 lbs and experience an increased libido. I've never taken any other anti-depressant besides Wellbutrin SR.”

Steph · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 18, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “To the person who posted problem with generic: I too had that problem, and I cannot get insurance to authorize brand name, either. I had to do a lot of trial and error with different brand names. The Chinese manufacturer that they give at Walgreens was the absolute worst. Now, The best brands of generic Wellbutrin for me are Sandoz bupropion generic , the other is Dr. Reddy's bupropion generic. I go to CVS, because they will special order one of those 2 brands for me. I am on SR 150 twice daily. This medication changed my life. I am much happier and I do not lash out anymore. I am a much calmer person now. It also helped me overcome PPD after I had my baby girl. Also, I will say that before taking this medication, I drank wine most nights. Since I started this medication 4 years ago, I have not wanted a drink at all. I have had maybe 3 glasses of wine in these years, and each time, I hated the way it made me feel. It is kind of empowering to always want to be sober. I have no plans of stopping this medication.”

Pinkin · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2014

For Depression: “I started Wellbutrin SR just last week. I feel 90% better already. Previously I was taking Zoloft and after a year and a half I felt sluggish, tired, hopeless, and just plain blah. I now don't have constant worrying, it helps withy OCD, and the things that bothered me before have just become basically no big deal to me. I happier, I focus much better? And my spirits are brighter than they have been in months!!!”

rouxball · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2014

For Depression: “I have been on bupropion for a month. I have lost the sadness, obsessive dark thoughts and have more energy and less aches and pains. I felt a little weird taking it a first( mild headache, taste in my mouth) but those have gone. This is great stuff and feel hopeful and focused. I am not snappy and withdrawn from my spouse.”

Mk · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

For Depression: “So over the last year I had noticed my anxiety has spiraled out of control and I was beginning to feel depressed a lot my Dr. suggested Wellbutrin SR 150mg for about 2 weeks then I moved up 300mg. I’m totally impressed I have no depression whatsoever since the first day I began Wellbutrin and I went to getting headaches everyday due to TMJ to very rarely having a headache. Still have some anxiety so we’re working on taking care of that..”

Chloelynne · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2018

For Depression: “I started on 150 mg Sr for one week then went up to 300mg. At first I felt speedy which I loved , lots of energy I could clean for hours lol,and really weird in public like everyone was staring at me . After a month I'd say it settled a bit , my depression has gone totally. I was so negative before, I complained so much and started to cry in secret. It stopped completely and it works fast - I'd say immediately. Best thing for me was my life long issues with food, over eating and sugar binges just vanished. I couldn't believe It. I lost 5 kilos quickly, my appetite came back but still I don't binge on sugar. I have to watch what I eat but thank goodness I don't have the obsession with food anymore . Also stopped smoking after a few days and now I can't believe I ever smoked yuck . Over all it's a miracle drug that is life changing . I live in Egypt and its dirt cheap for 30 less then 5 dollars as its produced locally by Glaxo Smith Kline, Egypt .”

Ashers83 September 13, 2010

For ADHD: “I have been on Wellbutrin for about a week and have already noticed a significant difference in my study abilities. I was able to actually sit down and actively study tonight for 4 hours and I have not been able to do that for years! I took Ritalin when I was in high school, but stopped taking it when I had a complete nervous breakdown. My doctor started me on 150mg twice daily and I tell you what, I feel like me again! Bright, alert, I have energy, and completely at ease and happy. Thank you Wellbutrin for giving me myself back again.”

Sunrise11 December 9, 2015

For Depression: “Nothing short of life changing! I started taking for depression and anxiety, have never tried anything else. Found that I needed to take with meals to avoid jitters and make sure I took second dose before 4pm to avoid sleep issues. Very mild constipation, stools just seem harder. The good part- I don't feel medicated at all. I don't cry all the time anymore. I started to notice that I was actually enjoying life and events. I completely stopped needing alcohol and/or food to fill an emotional void. It was amazing for me what this change in outlook did for my sex life - I want sex regularly and hang ups I used to have disappeared. Caution - one generic manufacturer did not work at all. Use only brand or Sandoz!”

bupropion July 23, 2016

For Depression: “I would like to let folks know that there is help out there. I used to pride myself on the fact that I wasn't on any medication until my depression got so bad that I didn't enjoy anything. I finally broke down and cried in my Doctors office. It was embarrassing for me to ask for help. She put be on bupropion at 150 mg 2X a day. It helped a little but I still wasn't feeling the best. In my follow up appointment a month after starting it she upped my dose to 450mg a day. What a difference. I don't hate my job and life anymore. I am getting all kinds of things done that I had no interest in 2 months ago. I would recommend this to anyone that has trouble with depression and had a bad experience with an SSRI antidepressant.”

Forty Plus March 28, 2008

For ADHD: “I've tried concerta, zoloft, ritalin and wellbutrin for ADHD. Wellbutrin was the only medication that gave me a calm, level headed feeling that helped me control hyperactivity, impulsivity, and attention span. I'm a 40 year old ADD'r and I'm grateful it works without the jitters of ritalin.”

Emily_22 · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2013

For Depression: “I am only on my 3rd day with Wellbutrin SR (150mg once a day for now) but I really feel good about this medicine already! I'm brand new to antidepressants but had been on Lexapro for 2 weeks prior to getting the Wellbutrin prescription and I really did not like the Lexapro. With it I had been having a headache everyday, tense muscles, felt emotionally numb, was tired all the time, couldn't focus, and absolutely could not reach orgasm even having sex everyday (which was extremely frustrating). Since switching 3 days ago, I have had more energy, more ability to focus, I feel happier about life as a whole, and I have been really productive with school work (I'm a college student). I also have noticed that I'm not feeling as hungry. Good feels.”

qlwaysmandi · Taken for 10 years or more June 13, 2014

For Depression: “Wonderful for me! I have increased energy, able to work and generally FEEL better. Downside-occasional insomnia. Drink lots of water, you will feel very thirsty. I highly recommend this antidepressant.”

Kayyyyyyyy January 8, 2018

For Depression: “I started taking 100mg XL in October for my depression. For the first 3 weeks I kind have just felt the same. Then I was moved up to 200mg SR and that’s when I started noticing a change about 4 weeks in. It reduced a lot of my depression along with my 10/10 anxiety. After 3 weeks, I started 300 mg SR and I definitely noticed a change. I had a lot more energy, starting doing things I once enjoyed, and did better in my college classes. With weight loss, I lost 16 pounds after the first 2 weeks of taking the 300mg SR. Overall, wellbutrin has worked so well for me and has helped reduced my depression and anxiety. 10/10”