User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Wellbutrin SR.

Wellbutrin SR Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"I hated this medication. It gave me insomnia, I was agitated and fidgety all the time. I was on it for 3 days and noticed I couldn't handle it. I was on for 200mgs per day. In order for me to sleep I had to take 10mgs of melatonin. I was good prior to being on antidepressants. I was also shuddering and had tremors."

Aschaufsa August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been takining Wellbutrin for a month and only seen a slight improvement. I see the md in the am and going to ask for an increase in dosage. Currently I take 75mg once a day. I am sensitive to medications and the md wanted to start low and go slow. Hopefully with the increase it will help out. I rated it 7 because the only side effect that I experienced was a headache"

Katolove August 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took zoloft for anxiety and depression. Helped with anxiety but didn't touch the depression. So I started taking wellbutrin SR and now I'm at 150 mg all together per day. I'm glad because I don't think about suicide but I can't be fully happy and hopeful yet. Getting there though."

kendrah198907 December 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking zoloft for 6 months and it wasn't enough and making me tired. Great for anxiety. So my doctor added wellbutrin. So far I've been taking half of a 1/4 th of a 150mg tablet. It has helped. I know I'm not feeling the best I have but life has been way more tolerable. I'm going to up my dose and I'm sure I'll feel even better. Best of luck to anyone trying this. Didn't notice side effects either."

kendrah198907 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking 300mg every day the generic for years along with zanex for anxiety. My dr upped the dosage to 450mg every day. I just got the name brand and it's completely different!!!! My life has new meaning the generic is not half as good. I no longer need the zanex and have no problems going out or living my life now. This medication ( name brand Welbutrin) should be available to anyone that needs it. The generic is horrible loaded with side effects shaking, headache, nausea, and extream bouts of anxiety that do not occur with the name brand!!! I am shocked the generic for this medication is permitted to mascrade as the equivalent is not even close!!!"

Lori0268 November 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A noticeable difference between the brand and generic (buproprion). Started out with brand years ago. I was no longer stuck in bed avoiding life. I could concentrate, no impulsive decision-making or stuck with indecision. Interested in life again, getting out, and lost 40lbs w/in the first year. Then insurance changes meant getting generic. I thought, "no big deal, I take generic for everything". I soon found myself overpowered by MDD symptoms again while still taking an AD. Dr mentioned switching to generic was likely the problem. I've since found lots of FDA/med research/similar experiences. Thankfully, I'm back on brand doing good, it wasn't just all in my head. There really is a BIG difference."

Srw24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on 150mg 2x daily and became increasingly jittery, like too much caffeine, also more anxious, depressed and irritable, it felt like bad speed, just didn't work for me.. I just started on Citalopram hoping that will help anxiety and depression."

sunny57 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Struggled with MDD and Gen. Anxiety Dis. And self harming habits. Wellbutrin has changed my life. It's definitely a noticeable chemical adjustment for the first few weeks. Once I adjusted though, it was a miracle. I'm calm, don't have anger or outbursts, no anxiety, NO obsessive thoughts or ruminating. I haven't been depressed in over 3 months and I started Wellbutrin in Feb. of 2015. I've had no side effects besides the first few weeks. You will feel very weird for two weeks. Stick with it. No weight fluctuations, dry mouth went away, no sexual side effects and I have more energy but I don't feel artificially stimulated (you will for about a month though) I give this medicine a 10. My doctor says I'm textbook MDD. Runs heavy in my family"

Cloud980 August 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked really well for a time.... then life events happened. I might try something else. Everyone is a little different."

Katherys88 July 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wasn't for me. It caused irritability and anxiety with no help with depression symptoms. I was on 150mg 2x/d."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got to a point where I was in bed 20 hrs a day, couldn't work etc. Severely depressed .I've battled that all my life but never got on an anti depressant . Wellbutrin along with lexapro 20 MG changed my life. Mainly the wellbutrin as I truly changed when that was added. I'm on 300mg SR. AT first you'll feel jumpy and anxious but give it 3-4 days, week tops, and it'll be incredible I have a new job, I'm traveling. New person."

depressedandstressed (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Wellbutrin XL for a few years and recently was switched to Wellbutrin SR. I felt an immediate difference. I was dizzy the first day but the 2nd day I was alert and calm. I've lost 10 pounds in the few weeks I've been on it which is good going from 150-140."

KAEST (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medication at a time when I did not have any health insurance and had to pay around $40/month for it. One of the very first things I noticed when taking this medication was that I started smoking fewer cigarettes, it made the cigarettes taste the way they should, horrible. I never had any other side effects from the medication. When I switched to another medication, it became very apparent that I was not doing as well as I had been while on the Wellbutrin SR, so I switched back after a few months and a couple different meds. This is definitely my favorite; I'd been on several different medications for my MDD and always had terrible side effects. Not with this!"

StephanieAlice (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was skeptical about bupropion. I started this at 150mg. I am BiPolar- and must say that it has been a God send. I read up on it and how it can give you energy plus can also help with concentration, I scoffed in a way. No longer do I scoff. I am so grateful that I take this, it does not effect any SSRI's as it's differently made up. I am on Zoloft and bupropion, these do not cause me a problem. It is possible to take these with BIPolar, yes, there is research regarding anti depressants and BiPolar, but for me it has given me back my life- I do have energy to leave the house, I can concentrate, my memory is better, but I now have a life- a social life. I go out. So please don't be scared off, by antidepressants and BiPolar- ask the question."

Koalamaiden - NSW (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have major depression and post traumatic stress disorder. This medication helps motivate me and it gives a slight boost for my moods I tend to smile more now but still get depressed now and then. It has very little side effects best thing is no sexual side effects! It also helps my anxiety but still have a hard time concentrating which my doc says helps but for me it doesn't it's just a mood stabilizer to me. I give it a 7 out of 10 because it only helps me slightly. I take 150mg twice a day."

Chrisphan (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am bi-polar and have been on Lamictal for 5 years but I was still having issues with depression so my doctor suggested Wellbutrin SR. The first 3 weeks I was on it I wasn't impressed and thought about discontinuing it. I was spacey and had horrible headaches. But I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Started to feel less depressed after a month of taking it and I'm in my 4th month and I still have my moments but overall my outlook on life is much more positive. I also hoped it would help me quit smoking and lose weight. Only the later happened but still quitting smoking is pretty awesome. I've tried so many things to quit and nothing helped until this. I'm still not at 100% but still a big improvement. I totally recommend this."

isssarose (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Wellbutrin SR 150, twice a day for about a year along with Zoloft 50 once a day to get myself better after falling into a deep depressive episode. My psychiatrist also recommended the Wellbutrin for helping to stop tobacco products and said that it would help with the depressive episodes. Overall, I really liked this medication for my condition as it had few side effects for me and with the Zoloft (not sure which to give credit to really) my appetite increased and I was able to eat healthier and gain back some of the weight which was lost due to my depression as a whole. After doing more research I did find that Wellbutrin is contraindicated for people with history of epilepsy or seizures in general."

Benzene7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2014