User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

Learn more about Wellbutrin SR.

Wellbutrin SR Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Depression

"I have been on Wellbutrin for about four months. I can definitely say that it works very well. My symptoms before taking it were: mood swings, constant fatigue, irritable, very low to nonexistent sex drive & not able to finish anything I started. My first two weeks on Wellbutrin I had a rough go with side effects. Side effects were: couldn't sleep. Heavy/tight chest which resulted in a panic attack. Itchy palms & feet. I wanted so bad to stop taking it but Very glad I didn't. I feel great now and have lost 15lbs. The Sex drive has come back full force. Advice: take benadryl those first few weeks to help you sleep. Best choice I have made was asking my doctor for help."

Wife&Mom1 February 7, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I stopped taking effexor after being on it for five years. Worked great but it was keeping me up at night, had to skip a dose to have a decent sleep. So I reduced to the lowest dosage before completely going off with the help of my doctor, in the hopes I didn't need anti depressants anymore. Was ok for a few weeks and boom, super depressed, suicidal, the works. So I was prescribed wellbutrin and mirtazepine for sleep. The wellbutrin worked right away and mirtazepine was great for sleep. But it only worked well for a few months. Started redeveloping social anxiety, panic attacks, fits of rage, suicidal thoughts and all that fun stuff. I went to a new doctor and he basically told me that wellbutrin isn't good for anxiety lol. Good to know!"

Sean_c January 22, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking this for depression when I was 17 (16 years ago). After about a week, I had a massive panic attack that lasted for 2 days straight and I've had a panic disorder ever since. Medication destroyed my life."

Nic84 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor started me on a very low dose of this (100mg). I have anxiety, depression, and (a questionable diagnosis, pending review) of bipolar disorder. The first day I took this I had a full blown panic attack. My heart was racing so fast and I was experiencing pretty bad chest pain and heaviness, so much so that I called the office and they wanted me to stop taking it and go to the ER to have an EKG done. I stopped taking it for about 2 weeks, but wasn't ready to give up on it - big mistake. So I went back on it for 3 days. Each day I had elevated heart rate, and felt anxious all day long. I was EXTREMELY irritable to the point of rage, my ENTIRE face broke out with painful cystic acne I'd never had before - basically over night. Skip!"

Brvvkelindsey January 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I credit Wellbutrin for my life. Started taking 150mg Wellbutrin SR 15 years ago to combat the sleepy side effect of prozac (taken for depression). About a year later I dropped the Prozac (because of sexual side effects). the Wellbutrin is enough to keep me normal. Over the 14 years I have tried 1: The no name brand (almost a disaster- made me sleepy & more depressed-fortunately i figured it out before getting suicidal) 2: The name brand long acting version- again made me sleepy and more depressed. 3. Took 2 by accident once or twice- ok until it wears off, then withdrawal feeling/depressed. 4. Sometimes I take one in the afternoon (when I am unemployed and more depressed) this works pretty well provided I take it before 3pm- or keeps me awake."

FemalethatLovesToBuild (taken for 10 years or more) December 24, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Seeing that most anti depressants take time to actually build up in your system before sustained relief occurs, I have begun taking it and thankfully have felt a decrease with many adverse symptoms of my depression. Sex drive and focus has slowly begun to amp up and I feel more at ease consistantly. I personally have had a good experience on this med. Good luck on your quests for sustained relief."

Cool guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this 75mg for about 5 months I loved it how it got me up & going compared to the 20mg of Prozac was taking off & on 9 yrs before But around the 4th month started finding myself getting mad easy & than my 1st panic attack happened. Had never new about the this & wish I never did. Stopped the Wellbutrin now 6 months & still having horrible attacks that keep sending me to hospital. ER DR told me I'm not the 1st to say their panic attacks started after taking Wellbutrin. So I'm standing up to ask if any one else has because it's not in there side effect list. I'm gonna make a blog on YouTube soon to help find an army"

SAM2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking name brand. started 150 1x a day for a week. first day so amazing, energized,went to the gym, positive & for 4 days felt great.5th not so much & by 7th day was feeling back to my depressed self so I upped it to 2 a day. now I go from anxious to flat. feel absolutely nothing, zoned out, very irritable. vivid dreams & nightmares, kind of can't separate dream from reality cause it seems like someone's in the house & I wake up out of a dead sleep & I'm not sure if someone's in the house. going to give this a few more days if things don't get worse hopefully they'll get better, if not, not going to take it anymore. I took this because I wanted to avoid weight gain which happened years ago with other SSRIs. hasn't affected appetite."

Msrubi54 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Do not take this medication if you have a pre-existing anxiety disorder...even if you are on a benzo or buspirone before starting it. My anxiety was well controlled with an SSRI and buspirone, but my depression did not seem to be getting any better. My Psychiatrist tried switching me from the SSRI to 100 mg Wellbutrin SR. I could only take the Wellbutrin for 6 days. It gave me horrible panic attacks, racing heartbeat, and severe sweating. I have no doubt it may work well for depression, but it is a bad drug to try if you have depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I am now back on the SSRI. I would rather deal with some depression than have panic attacks!"

natsgirl73 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wow! I have been taking Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. for one week ( started October 15,2016) then 2nd week taking 150 mgs at 12:00. I have never taken any medication for my mild depression, easily agitated, sweating the small stuff, slightly obese (209 lbs), too tired after work to play with the kids diagnosis. Then, OMG, my life is forever changed. In my second week on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice per day, I down to 203 lbs.,I didn't realize how much agitation and sadness I was trying to manage on my own, I am a lot calmer when stressful situations arise, play with my kids & exercise. I feel like there is always a song in my heart. Unless, somebody does something really STUPID to PISS me off! But even then, I can forgive faster! God, I'm happy"

Honnie G (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2016

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just wanted to say that I had a lot of these negative symptoms when I was in the generic "Buproprion" (headaches, vivid nightmares) but after switching to the "name brand only" I no longer had those horrible side effects.. It's hard to tell in these reviews which people are taking the generic version ( which was horrific) and who is reviewing the actual Wellbutin SR. The name brand worked so much better!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this medication last week, I started suffering from depression when my marraige began to fall apart! I was trying for years to be there for my husband as he returned from a deployment suffering from serve ptsd! Right now I can say my opinion on this medication differs. One day I'm fine and can get through my day calm, other days I have serve anxiety and I'm freaking out or I'm so tired with headaches that I just want to be alone and sleep all day! A big concern,even through I shouldn't be complaining about is losing weight in a week I have already dropped 5 pounds! I feel as if I should give this more time to balance me out! I'm only on 150mg once a day"

Tori1289 October 11, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"it's pretty damn great! it makes me feel so much better. although it causes significant weight loss. i was 5'3 100 pounds (on the verge but fine considering my frame) but now i'm 89lbs. so yeah that's not good. if you're tiny like me naturally, i wouldn't recommend...but i tried every drug on the planet and the side effects are worth it. i just have to force myself to eat more"

macyyyyyy October 3, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this med for two weeks now and i have yet felt any benefits while starting this med. My doctor told me to take it twice daily they are 100mg. I have been taking it but still feel the same."

601mommy September 22, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello All, I initially got put on Wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression. I'm taking the SR one once a day and I have been on it for less than a week. I have to say I have felt amazing. I am someone that is extremely active and I had always tried to be conscious of my diet, but I struggled with binge eating. I would eat healthy for 4 days and binge for 3. I'd feel awful and start over EVERY monday. It was really getting out of hand honestly and contributing to my mental state. I am 24 years old, 5'4 and my normal weight for my activity level was always 120. I got all the way up to 150 and could not understand why. In almost a week I've lost 5lbs its just falling off me now. I feel happy again and in control of my emotions and eating."

corkandbeans (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I rated it a 5 because I felt for me it was 50/50. Tomorrow will have been only my 5th day taking the generic version (bupropion SR), but I am making today the last one. I was prescribed only 150mg once a day. The first 3 times I took it, it worked wonderfully. I experienced a handful of side effects that were super mild, but I felt great. I felt energized and positive. Today on the other hand, about two hours after I took my dose, I was hunched over the toilet almost throwing up with bad stomach pain in addition to the nausea. I never threw up. I have ZERO appetite and no energy and a bad sharp pain in my upper stomach. I feel totally disconnected from my body."

Missy97404 July 30, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm not usually one to publicly review medications, but I really feel the need to with this one. I have been clinically depressed for about 6 years. I have tried Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, and Effexor. Trial and error is really a bummer when you want to get well and you have little to no relief. I am now on a mix of 300 mg of Wellbutrin SR and 100 mg of Zoloft and love it! The first week or two I experienced some nausea (the traditional side effect) that had me down for the count for a few days, but I stuck with it. My only complaint after about 4 months of use is the insomnia, but that's nothing melatonin can't fix. So, if you've tried every SSRI/SNRI under the sun, I totally recommend trying Wellbutrin."

rillmad July 27, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I would like to let folks know that there is help out there. I used to pride myself on the fact that I wasn't on any medication until my depression got so bad that I didn't enjoy anything. I finally broke down and cried in my Doctors office. It was embarrassing for me to ask for help. She put be on bupropion at 150 mg 2X a day. It helped a little but I still wasn't feeling the best. In my follow up appointment a month after starting it she upped my dose to 450mg a day. What a difference. I don't hate my job and life anymore. I am getting all kinds of things done that I had no interest in 2 months ago. I would recommend this to anyone that has trouble with depression and had a bad experience with an SSRI antidepressant."

bupropion July 23, 2016

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello Everyone, I took wellbutrin 150 mg once a day, along side with zoloft (200mg) and atenolol (50mg) - the wellbutrin worked well for the first four days, but then i suddenly began to plummet. instead of feeling energized like everyone else in these reviews i began to feel restless, drowsy and dizzy. Even worse, i noticed my blood pressure was going up. By the third week of taking this medication my head was pulsing, i had a couple bad headaches, diarrhea, and nausea . I could not take the side effects anymore because i was experiencing almost every negative side effect. If you are sensitive to caffeine, this drug may not be for you. it felt similar to caffeine which i am sensitive to."

epikblue22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking 150 mg twice a day, and I started feeling a difference since day 1, the very first night I woke up in the middle of the night agitated because a very vivid dream and they only got worse as days went by to the point I could not differentiate dreams with reality and having a lot of trouble to wake up, during the day I was feeling hopeful again and started doing things I had stopped doing but on day 7 approx I had a major panic attack at work feeling like choking due to lack of oxigen and started hyperventilating which I had never experienced before in my life so long story short I ended up in ER that night, even though the paramedics suggested it was gonna go away by itself I still wanted to be checked out, horrible experience"

Alejandro618 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this after talking to my doctor about how I was scared to gain weight with an antidepressant (I gained 15 pounds on Zoloft). This medicine made me feel crazy! I took it for 2 weeks, and every day I felt like there was a brick on my eyes/head. I felt like I was going to have a seizure any moment (no I've never had one, I just felt like I was going to). I was sensitive to light, and couldn't see when I was driving at night. It was awful!!! I'm on Prozac now and seem to be doing ok :)"

Txmama (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking it about 3 weeks ago at the 150mg dose for depression. First week I felt very little change but that was actually a plus as many antidepressants I have tried have made me feel physically terrible and mentally kind of.. Sketchy? But with wellbutrin I only had minor headaches when smoking (not surprising considered its original use was as a cessation aid) and some very vivid dreams. At this point I am really starting to feel a change; random weeping down to once this past week rather than every damn day; starting to feel hopeful about the future again, showing more interest in my past hobbies, feeling grateful. Only downside is it has really increased my acne, so I had to step up my skincare game."

Sadbethddd December 10, 2015

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nothing short of life changing! I started taking for depression and anxiety, have never tried anything else. Found that I needed to take with meals to avoid jitters and make sure I took second dose before 4pm to avoid sleep issues. Very mild constipation, stools just seem harder. The good part- I don't feel medicated at all. I don't cry all the time anymore. I started to notice that I was actually enjoying life and events. I completely stopped needing alcohol and/or food to fill an emotional void. It was amazing for me what this change in outlook did for my sex life - I want sex regularly and hang ups I used to have disappeared. Caution - one generic manufacturer did not work at all. Use only brand or Sandoz!"

Sunrise11 December 9, 2015

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was having some anxiety and depression issues due to many life factors. Was told that Wellbutrin would be a good option and that it was fairly mild. The first few days had the euphoric feeling everyone talks about, but this ended in 2-3 days. After that anger kicked in to the point where I was taking walks at 1am to calm down and relax. From there the weirdness kicked in. A feeling that's hard to describe but life got very flat. Didn't feel anything, just flat. I felt like I had a lobotomy or something. At a party last week a friend asked if I was stoned as I looked out of it. Then I forgot to take it one day and I felt great that day, joy, emptions, had fun. I then took it the next day and felt horrible. Cold turkey and happy, not for me"

Steve no like Wellbutrin July 31, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For ME it was awful. I was on this pill for 7 days. I went to the doctor today because my heart was beating so fast on these pills and I was paranoid, anxious, shaking, and very very Bit**y. I thought I was having a heart attack at work I was crying, it was awful. I went to the doctor and I couldn't get words out. My pulse was 115 and blood pressure was high (never ever is) it just shot up. The doctor said I was having a panic attack and that it is due to the medication. She took me off it and for the next 5 days I am on LORAZEPAM 0.5MG (sedative to calm me down - take it at night) and switching me back to sertaline. This was the worst experience of my life. I thought I was going to end up in the ER or dead."

Monica1979 July 28, 2015