User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Depression

Wellbutrin SR has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 92 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 57% of those users who reviewed Wellbutrin SR reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Wellbutrin SR Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

CountyGirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

“I started taking Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice a day for my depression and to quit smoking, everything was getting better, I had a great night sleep by day 2 felt a little lighter with my mood, then on day 4 I felt wrong, and by my nighttime dose I ended up giving a seizure, which I have no history of, and again no sleep and tremors and horrible sweating, I was really hoping this was going to help me but I have never been so scared in my life as I was when I lost control of all my muscles and it took 2 days to start to feel better from it. My muscles hurt, extreme anxiety and insomnia.. be very careful with this drug!”

Nicky Stervais January 25, 2021

“I don't find this an antidepressant rather than a demeanor stimulant/energy enhancer. Goes well with SSRI's, SNRI's and many others as add-on. Personally on 150mg daily I found myself more energetic, needing less sleep, more able to focus for seriously long days, more outspoken and also more irritable. Some restlessness or a stupor-kind of feeling for a couple hours in the afternoon. All of this subsided as the months passed. 1-2 years lead to some kind of tolerance. 300mg doses seemed to give me some more focus but also made feel a bit off. Enhances the focus a little more, and likely possible overt wakefulness, irritability or confusion would subside over time. I still couldn't estimate needing such a dose myself. Initially, a combination of Sertraline and made me hypermanic for a month or two: showed up at parties drinking and talking to everyone, making new acquaintances, life choices ultimately leading to major changes etc. My psychiatrist didn't think it was a problem, though.”

Pris · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

“I’ve been talking Wellbutrin for a couple months now and honestly mood wise I have been feeling better. I still have big mood swings (diagnosed with bipolar type2) so it really could be that. Side effects I have noticed would be extreme agitation and severe acne which honestly is disappointing because I used to have really clean and clear skin. Other than that I think it’s pretty cool.”

Crissy123 May 12, 2014

“I am a mother of 2 small children and I began this medication about 2 months ago after being on Celexa (which made me feel tired a lot and hungry all the time - I gained like 20 lbs on it). The first thing I noticed with Wellbutrin was a decreased appetite. Then I started to feel more alert - the same kind of alertness you would feel when taking Adderall. A few weeks into it, my mood was totally different. I was happy, calm, energetic - all the things that I wanted for so long, but never thought I could achieve, as I was very depressed. I was walking in a parking lot the other day and I thought to myself "wow. isn't life great?" - Wellbutrin is an AMAZING medication.”

Honnie G · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2016

“Wow! I have been taking Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. for one week ( started October 15,2016) then 2nd week taking 150 mgs at 12:00. I have never taken any medication for my mild depression, easily agitated, sweating the small stuff, slightly obese (209 lbs), too tired after work to play with the kids diagnosis. Then, OMG, my life is forever changed. In my second week on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice per day, I down to 203 lbs.,I didn't realize how much agitation and sadness I was trying to manage on my own, I am a lot calmer when stressful situations arise, play with my kids & exercise. I feel like there is always a song in my heart. Unless, somebody does something really STUPID to PISS me off! But even then, I can forgive faster! God, I'm happy”

Wife&Mom1 February 7, 2017

“I have been on Wellbutrin for about four months. I can definitely say that it works very well. My symptoms before taking it were: mood swings, constant fatigue, irritable, very low to nonexistent sex drive & not able to finish anything I started. My first two weeks on Wellbutrin I had a rough go with side effects. Side effects were: couldn't sleep. Heavy/tight chest which resulted in a panic attack. Itchy palms & feet. I wanted so bad to stop taking it but Very glad I didn't. I feel great now and have lost 15lbs. The Sex drive has come back full force. Advice: take benadryl those first few weeks to help you sleep. Best choice I have made was asking my doctor for help.”

isa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 24, 2020

“I've been taking Wellbutrin 150mg SR (generic) once a day for the past 6 months. I have had no negative side effects. It was originally prescribed to treat my Binge Eating disorder but it did nothing for it. BUT it did improve my depressed moods drastically! No needing check lists anymore to prompt me to do all the basic stuff a normal human being should be doing, like take a shower.. So for about 5 months I was not depressed anymore, I was also less anxious and had less intrusive thoughts. I now think, one month later (so after 6 months), that I should bump it to twice a day (like it's intended in the first place anyways) because my depression and intrusive thoughts are slowing coming back and ruining my attempts at self-care. In the past I took Paxil and Effexor. Paxil never worked. Effexor worked for a while (with bad side effects), then stopped working for me. I hope I have now found what will work for me long term!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2013

“I have ADD, anxiety and depression. I began 100mg once a day for a week then went to 100mg twice a day. You have to give this medicine time to work. The first I was thinking of not taking it anymore because it made me feel so tired. But I'm so happy I stuck it out! My overall mood, attitude and outlook has improved tremendously. My mood and attention is consistent, unlike when I took Adderall and would experience crashes. This medication has made a world of difference. I'm less anxious and happier.”

Nobody1100 November 16, 2014

“I've been taking this medication for depression. I've been on it for about a year now. When I first started taking it I smoked about a pack a day. Over time this reduced my cravings for nicotine and helped me quit smoking. It took time and effort but it worked. Also when I started this medicine I weighed 207 lbs which was my highest weight. Wellbutrin caused weight loss for me and I now weigh 165. This medicine improves my overall mood and I am not as depressed as I was a year ago. I've also experienced hair shedding, which has become more and more of a problem. Sometimes it comes out in handfuls. I gave this medicine a 9 because mostly my side effects were positive. I don't know where I'd be without Wellbutrin.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2018

“I tried to get by on 150 mg of bupropion but was getting weepy over little things and decided to ask to up my dosage and I am now on 300 mg. (The other 150 mg in the evening). I went through waking in the night as well as during the day with all kinds of negative feelings and gut wrenching crying. I really didn’t have side effects...I stayed away from people because I knew I was not quite “right” and didn’t want to make a “fool” of myself as I knew my thinking was a little askewed. I just today—-24 days into the increase in medication felt a break through and feel like I have a new lease on life...it is like I was teetering on the edge and have now slipped over into normalcy...”

Mk · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

“So over the last year I had noticed my anxiety has spiraled out of control and I was beginning to feel depressed a lot my Dr. suggested Wellbutrin SR 150mg for about 2 weeks then I moved up 300mg. I’m totally impressed I have no depression whatsoever since the first day I began Wellbutrin and I went to getting headaches everyday due to TMJ to very rarely having a headache. Still have some anxiety so we’re working on taking care of that..”

tahoegrl · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2014

“I was taking this for depression for about 3 years and it was a miracle for me. I stopped taking it when I lost my insurance for about a year. The result was a weight gain of 20 lbs and severe depression (again) I've been taking now about a year and the result is that I'm happy again. I lost 30 lbs and experience an increased libido. I've never taken any other anti-depressant besides Wellbutrin SR.”

corkandbeans · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2016

“Hello All, I initially got put on Wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression. I'm taking the SR one once a day and I have been on it for less than a week. I have to say I have felt amazing. I am someone that is extremely active and I had always tried to be conscious of my diet, but I struggled with binge eating. I would eat healthy for 4 days and binge for 3. I'd feel awful and start over EVERY monday. It was really getting out of hand honestly and contributing to my mental state. I am 24 years old, 5'4 and my normal weight for my activity level was always 120. I got all the way up to 150 and could not understand why. In almost a week I've lost 5lbs its just falling off me now. I feel happy again and in control of my emotions and eating.”

Pinkin · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2014

“I started Wellbutrin SR just last week. I feel 90% better already. Previously I was taking Zoloft and after a year and a half I felt sluggish, tired, hopeless, and just plain blah. I now don't have constant worrying, it helps withy OCD, and the things that bothered me before have just become basically no big deal to me. I happier, I focus much better? And my spirits are brighter than they have been in months!!!”

rouxball · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2014

“I have been on bupropion for a month. I have lost the sadness, obsessive dark thoughts and have more energy and less aches and pains. I felt a little weird taking it a first( mild headache, taste in my mouth) but those have gone. This is great stuff and feel hopeful and focused. I am not snappy and withdrawn from my spouse.”

Chloelynne · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2018

“I started on 150 mg Sr for one week then went up to 300mg. At first I felt speedy which I loved , lots of energy I could clean for hours lol,and really weird in public like everyone was staring at me . After a month I'd say it settled a bit , my depression has gone totally. I was so negative before, I complained so much and started to cry in secret. It stopped completely and it works fast - I'd say immediately. Best thing for me was my life long issues with food, over eating and sugar binges just vanished. I couldn't believe It. I lost 5 kilos quickly, my appetite came back but still I don't binge on sugar. I have to watch what I eat but thank goodness I don't have the obsession with food anymore . Also stopped smoking after a few days and now I can't believe I ever smoked yuck . Over all it's a miracle drug that is life changing . I live in Egypt and its dirt cheap for 30 less then 5 dollars as its produced locally by Glaxo Smith Kline, Egypt .”

Sonya · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 14, 2020

“Wellbutrin 150sr 2x daily was prescribed for me for Severe anxiety and mild depression. This medication is great for energy but I am so short tempered and I get negative intrusive thoughts. I like the energy it gives me and I don’t feel spaced out like on some antidepressants but I’m debating going back on Effexor 75 mg. It is better for anxiety and irritability. I’ve gained 10 lbs but I think it’s from the Covid lockdown stress eating so I won’t blame it on the Wellbutrin. I would recommend Wellbutrin for people with lethargy but not with anxiety disorders.”

Sunrise11 December 9, 2015

“Nothing short of life changing! I started taking for depression and anxiety, have never tried anything else. Found that I needed to take with meals to avoid jitters and make sure I took second dose before 4pm to avoid sleep issues. Very mild constipation, stools just seem harder. The good part- I don't feel medicated at all. I don't cry all the time anymore. I started to notice that I was actually enjoying life and events. I completely stopped needing alcohol and/or food to fill an emotional void. It was amazing for me what this change in outlook did for my sex life - I want sex regularly and hang ups I used to have disappeared. Caution - one generic manufacturer did not work at all. Use only brand or Sandoz!”

bupropion July 23, 2016

“I would like to let folks know that there is help out there. I used to pride myself on the fact that I wasn't on any medication until my depression got so bad that I didn't enjoy anything. I finally broke down and cried in my Doctors office. It was embarrassing for me to ask for help. She put be on bupropion at 150 mg 2X a day. It helped a little but I still wasn't feeling the best. In my follow up appointment a month after starting it she upped my dose to 450mg a day. What a difference. I don't hate my job and life anymore. I am getting all kinds of things done that I had no interest in 2 months ago. I would recommend this to anyone that has trouble with depression and had a bad experience with an SSRI antidepressant.”

tennessee · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

“I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg (once a day) for about three weeks, Depression and ADHD, it fixed the ADHD but it caused me to cry every single day and to have more intrusive thoughts. I called my DR and he switched me to Wellbutrin SR 100mg (twice a day), todays day 1 of taking the SR, hopefully its works... to be continued.”

Emily_22 · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2013

“I am only on my 3rd day with Wellbutrin SR (150mg once a day for now) but I really feel good about this medicine already! I'm brand new to antidepressants but had been on Lexapro for 2 weeks prior to getting the Wellbutrin prescription and I really did not like the Lexapro. With it I had been having a headache everyday, tense muscles, felt emotionally numb, was tired all the time, couldn't focus, and absolutely could not reach orgasm even having sex everyday (which was extremely frustrating). Since switching 3 days ago, I have had more energy, more ability to focus, I feel happier about life as a whole, and I have been really productive with school work (I'm a college student). I also have noticed that I'm not feeling as hungry. Good feels.”

Kayyyyyyyy January 8, 2018

“I started taking 100mg XL in October for my depression. For the first 3 weeks I kind have just felt the same. Then I was moved up to 200mg SR and that’s when I started noticing a change about 4 weeks in. It reduced a lot of my depression along with my 10/10 anxiety. After 3 weeks, I started 300 mg SR and I definitely noticed a change. I had a lot more energy, starting doing things I once enjoyed, and did better in my college classes. With weight loss, I lost 16 pounds after the first 2 weeks of taking the 300mg SR. Overall, wellbutrin has worked so well for me and has helped reduced my depression and anxiety. 10/10”

LC · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2019

“I had every bad side effect and it crept up over time. Insane migraine headaches, stomach pain nausea, ear pain, ringing in the ears, vision problems, vertigo, suicidal thoughts. I also had very frequent urination. The agitation and angry outbursts were really frightening. I was completely fine for 3 months so I didn’t make the connection between the drug and the symptoms at all. I went to doctors for headaches and my bladder and even for allergies until I figured it out myself. I finally thought to myself, what did I start doing differently in my life? It was the Wellbutrin. I called my psychiatrist and told him my symptoms and he told me to stop taking it immediately. I’m glad I figured it out. I really don’t think anybody else other than myself would have. It has been a really rough few weeks with this pain. I felt almost immediately better when I stopped the medication.”

qlwaysmandi · Taken for 10 years or more June 13, 2014

“Wonderful for me! I have increased energy, able to work and generally FEEL better. Downside-occasional insomnia. Drink lots of water, you will feel very thirsty. I highly recommend this antidepressant.”

Janey13 · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2017

“I tried so hard to stay on bupropion 150SR for my Depression and BPD but I just couldn't . I lasted 10 days on it, It gave me a weird headspace ie: negative thoughts and bad memories from the past ... I kept telling myself to persevere but I just couldn't aside from the chronic constipation it caused . I will always wonder now what would have happened had I stuck it out for 4 to 6 weeks . Just felt too weird and disoriented on it. Thanks for reading my comment and if anyone had a similar experience, please share. Thanks”

partridge · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 29, 2020

“I was prescribed Wellbutrin SR as a boost for my regular antidepressant (I have seasonal affective disorder), since I am at the top-end of the dosing and didn't feel comfortable increasing. Overall excellent medication. I don't notice many side effects and it has helped to increase my energy/mood enough to make it bearable during the winter months. If I miss a dose, I get a headache which does grow into a migraine if left unchecked.”

rillmad July 27, 2016

“I'm not usually one to publicly review medications, but I really feel the need to with this one. I have been clinically depressed for about 6 years. I have tried Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, and Effexor. Trial and error is really a bummer when you want to get well and you have little to no relief. I am now on a mix of 300 mg of Wellbutrin SR and 100 mg of Zoloft and love it! The first week or two I experienced some nausea (the traditional side effect) that had me down for the count for a few days, but I stuck with it. My only complaint after about 4 months of use is the insomnia, but that's nothing melatonin can't fix. So, if you've tried every SSRI/SNRI under the sun, I totally recommend trying Wellbutrin.”

JokerRose September 3, 2017

“Dopamine and norepinephrine are two major brain chemicals in the feelings of romantic love. Serotonin (key in SSRIs) actually suppresses dopamine and inhibits feelings. This dopamine and norepinephrine (a stimulant) reuptake inhibitor can help and and DRIVE without sexual side effects, weight gain, and apathy caused by SSRIs. Often prescribed with an SSRI to counteract side effects of it. Also it is reported to have few side effects (unless you suffer from a seizure disorder that is). I recommend this over an SSRI or in addition to one.”