User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

Learn more about Wellbutrin SR.

Wellbutrin SR Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Depression

"Hello All, I initially got put on Wellbutrin for my anxiety and depression. I'm taking the SR one once a day and I have been on it for less than a week. I have to say I have felt amazing. I am someone that is extremely active and I had always tried to be conscious of my diet, but I struggled with binge eating. I would eat healthy for 4 days and binge for 3. I'd feel awful and start over EVERY monday. It was really getting out of hand honestly and contributing to my mental state. I am 24 years old, 5'4 and my normal weight for my activity level was always 120. I got all the way up to 150 and could not understand why. In almost a week I've lost 5lbs its just falling off me now. I feel happy again and in control of my emotions and eating."

corkandbeans (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

"I rated it a 5 because I felt for me it was 50/50. Tomorrow will have been only my 5th day taking the generic version (bupropion SR), but I am making today the last one. I was prescribed only 150mg once a day. The first 3 times I took it, it worked wonderfully. I experienced a handful of side effects that were super mild, but I felt great. I felt energized and positive. Today on the other hand, about two hours after I took my dose, I was hunched over the toilet almost throwing up with bad stomach pain in addition to the nausea. I never threw up. I have ZERO appetite and no energy and a bad sharp pain in my upper stomach. I feel totally disconnected from my body."

Missy97404 July 30, 2016

"I'm not usually one to publicly review medications, but I really feel the need to with this one. I have been clinically depressed for about 6 years. I have tried Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, and Effexor. Trial and error is really a bummer when you want to get well and you have little to no relief. I am now on a mix of 300 mg of Wellbutrin SR and 100 mg of Zoloft and love it! The first week or two I experienced some nausea (the traditional side effect) that had me down for the count for a few days, but I stuck with it. My only complaint after about 4 months of use is the insomnia, but that's nothing melatonin can't fix. So, if you've tried every SSRI/SNRI under the sun, I totally recommend trying Wellbutrin."

rillmad July 27, 2016

"I would like to let folks know that there is help out there. I used to pride myself on the fact that I wasn't on any medication until my depression got so bad that I didn't enjoy anything. I finally broke down and cried in my Doctors office. It was embarrassing for me to ask for help. She put be on bupropion at 150 mg 2X a day. It helped a little but I still wasn't feeling the best. In my follow up appointment a month after starting it she upped my dose to 450mg a day. What a difference. I don't hate my job and life anymore. I am getting all kinds of things done that I had no interest in 2 months ago. I would recommend this to anyone that has trouble with depression and had a bad experience with an SSRI antidepressant."

bupropion July 23, 2016

"Hello Everyone, I took wellbutrin 150 mg once a day, along side with zoloft (200mg) and atenolol (50mg) - the wellbutrin worked well for the first four days, but then i suddenly began to plummet. instead of feeling energized like everyone else in these reviews i began to feel restless, drowsy and dizzy. Even worse, i noticed my blood pressure was going up. By the third week of taking this medication my head was pulsing, i had a couple bad headaches, diarrhea, and nausea . I could not take the side effects anymore because i was experiencing almost every negative side effect. If you are sensitive to caffeine, this drug may not be for you. it felt similar to caffeine which i am sensitive to."

epikblue22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

"I started taking 150 mg twice a day, and I started feeling a difference since day 1, the very first night I woke up in the middle of the night agitated because a very vivid dream and they only got worse as days went by to the point I could not differentiate dreams with reality and having a lot of trouble to wake up, during the day I was feeling hopeful again and started doing things I had stopped doing but on day 7 approx I had a major panic attack at work feeling like choking due to lack of oxigen and started hyperventilating which I had never experienced before in my life so long story short I ended up in ER that night, even though the paramedics suggested it was gonna go away by itself I still wanted to be checked out, horrible experience"

Alejandro618 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

"I started this after talking to my doctor about how I was scared to gain weight with an antidepressant (I gained 15 pounds on Zoloft). This medicine made me feel crazy! I took it for 2 weeks, and every day I felt like there was a brick on my eyes/head. I felt like I was going to have a seizure any moment (no I've never had one, I just felt like I was going to). I was sensitive to light, and couldn't see when I was driving at night. It was awful!!! I'm on Prozac now and seem to be doing ok :)"

Txmama (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

"I started taking it about 3 weeks ago at the 150mg dose for depression. First week I felt very little change but that was actually a plus as many antidepressants I have tried have made me feel physically terrible and mentally kind of.. Sketchy? But with wellbutrin I only had minor headaches when smoking (not surprising considered its original use was as a cessation aid) and some very vivid dreams. At this point I am really starting to feel a change; random weeping down to once this past week rather than every damn day; starting to feel hopeful about the future again, showing more interest in my past hobbies, feeling grateful. Only downside is it has really increased my acne, so I had to step up my skincare game."

Sadbethddd December 10, 2015

"Nothing short of life changing! I started taking for depression and anxiety, have never tried anything else. Found that I needed to take with meals to avoid jitters and make sure I took second dose before 4pm to avoid sleep issues. Very mild constipation, stools just seem harder. The good part- I don't feel medicated at all. I don't cry all the time anymore. I started to notice that I was actually enjoying life and events. I completely stopped needing alcohol and/or food to fill an emotional void. It was amazing for me what this change in outlook did for my sex life - I want sex regularly and hang ups I used to have disappeared. Caution - one generic manufacturer did not work at all. Use only brand or Sandoz!"

Sunrise11 December 9, 2015

"Was having some anxiety and depression issues due to many life factors. Was told that Wellbutrin would be a good option and that it was fairly mild. The first few days had the euphoric feeling everyone talks about, but this ended in 2-3 days. After that anger kicked in to the point where I was taking walks at 1am to calm down and relax. From there the weirdness kicked in. A feeling that's hard to describe but life got very flat. Didn't feel anything, just flat. I felt like I had a lobotomy or something. At a party last week a friend asked if I was stoned as I looked out of it. Then I forgot to take it one day and I felt great that day, joy, emptions, had fun. I then took it the next day and felt horrible. Cold turkey and happy, not for me"

Steve no like Wellbutrin July 31, 2015

"For ME it was awful. I was on this pill for 7 days. I went to the doctor today because my heart was beating so fast on these pills and I was paranoid, anxious, shaking, and very very Bit**y. I thought I was having a heart attack at work I was crying, it was awful. I went to the doctor and I couldn't get words out. My pulse was 115 and blood pressure was high (never ever is) it just shot up. The doctor said I was having a panic attack and that it is due to the medication. She took me off it and for the next 5 days I am on LORAZEPAM 0.5MG (sedative to calm me down - take it at night) and switching me back to sertaline. This was the worst experience of my life. I thought I was going to end up in the ER or dead."

Monica1979 July 28, 2015

"I've been on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks and I don't really feel any better. I notice weight gain and more irritability than usual. I've read that I must be patient and continue taking it and I should see improvement after about a month. I took this years ago and it was the reason I was able to quit smoking. My wife called it the happy pill because she saw a big difference in my mood. So far it's not having the same affect it did 15 yrs ago. I do like that I am not having any other side affects. My sex drive is still good and I think my anxiety has improved somewhat. I'm on 100 mg a day and I take it first thing in the morning."

Coasty July 6, 2015

"I've been on Wellbutrin sr 150 mg for depression and anxiety. I was very hesitant to try another medication after negative experiences with other meds. I knew however that I needed more help than therapy alone, so I decided to give wb a try. Initially, I had some insomnia, nausea, headaches, and severe light sensitivity. However, these effects passed and were mild compared to how much better I felt. Within 4wks i had more energy, felt less anxious, and the depression started to lift. I felt focused, peaceful, and content. All was well until about two months ago when some anxiety resurfaced (exams). Doctor tried to increase dosage, but the side effects were terrible. So i remain on 150 mg, but still feel much better then my pre-wb days."

It'll get better (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2015

"I started at 100mg and the first few weeks I felt really amazing for the first time in my life. After the fourth week or so, I switched to the 150mg because I had found that the initial euphoria had worn off and I thought that it had lost its efficacy. The higher dose was too strong for me so I switched back and have been on the 100mg since. I do not have the same dark cycles that I used to, and though I still feel depressed at times, it is not nearly as often as before, and the episodes are manageable. I am not feeling chronic hopelessness nor paranoid or defensive. It does not feel like I am 'medicated' while on this. I am not experiencing many side effects (just more intense dreams, and some minor constipation)."

yesteryear (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

"I've been on Wellbutrin 150mg 2x daily for a month now and the only thing that I've noticed is I'm extreme exhaustion about an hour after I take it. It's quite disheartening after reading so many positive reviews about this drug. My doctor recommended giving it more time to take effect but I'm losing hope."

gigglesquirt (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"I've been on the generic version of Wellbutrin SR 100mg once a day a little over a week. Added to supplement my 20mg Prozac twice a day, and .5 Klonopin twice a day. I've been on the Prozac and Klonopin over a year and it began to be not as effective. I began to feel very depressed along with my anxiety also I've gained about 20lbs so my psychatrist prescribed 100mg Wellbutrin SR once a day in morn to help. So far I've noticed I'm extremely tired about 1 hour after taking, so tired even my strongest cup of coffee can't keep me awake. I know Prozac and Klonopin can have this as a side effect but my body is well adjusted to that now, those side effects are long gone.I've noticed better focus and reduced appetite, so now I will just wait."

D-0881 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Major change in my mood and energy. I enjoy to do things I used to do. Wellbutrin has changed my life."

Rosie124 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2015

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Extreme dry mouth. Could not leave home without bottle of water. Extreme dry stools to the point that I was taking a stool softener every day to avoid unnecessary straining. "

jay-bee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2014

"I've been taking this medication for depression. I've been on it for about a year now. When I first started taking it I smoked about a pack a day. Over time this reduced my cravings for nicotine and helped me quit smoking. It took time and effort but it worked. Also when I started this medicine I weighed 207 lbs which was my highest weight. Wellbutrin caused weight loss for me and I now weigh 165. This medicine improves my overall mood and I am not as depressed as I was a year ago. I've also experienced hair shedding, which has become more and more of a problem. Sometimes it comes out in handfuls. I gave this medicine a 9 because mostly my side effects were positive. I don't know where I'd be without Wellbutrin."

Nobody1100 November 16, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was taking this for depression for about 3 years and it was a miracle for me. I stopped taking it when I lost my insurance for about a year. The result was a weight gain of 20 lbs and severe depression (again) I've been taking now about a year and the result is that I'm happy again. I lost 30 lbs and experience an increased libido. I've never taken any other anti-depressant besides Wellbutrin SR."

tahoegrl (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on bupropion for a month. I have lost the sadness, obsessive dark thoughts and have more energy and less aches and pains. I felt a little weird taking it a first( mild headache, taste in my mouth) but those have gone. This is great stuff and feel hopeful and focused. I am not snappy and withdrawn from my spouse."

rouxball (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2014

"Wonderful for me! I have increased energy, able to work and generally FEEL better. Downside-occasional insomnia. Drink lots of water, you will feel very thirsty. I highly recommend this antidepressant."

qlwaysmandi (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a mother of 2 small children and I began this medication about 2 months ago after being on Celexa (which made me feel tired a lot and hungry all the time - I gained like 20 lbs on it). The first thing I noticed with Wellbutrin was a decreased appetite. Then I started to feel more alert - the same kind of alertness you would feel when taking Adderall. A few weeks into it, my mood was totally different. I was happy, calm, energetic - all the things that I wanted for so long, but never thought I could achieve, as I was very depressed. I was walking in a parking lot the other day and I thought to myself "wow. isn't life great?" - Wellbutrin is an AMAZING medication."

Crissy123 May 12, 2014

261 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started Wellbutrin SR just last week. I feel 90% better already. Previously I was taking Zoloft and after a year and a half I felt sluggish, tired, hopeless, and just plain blah. I now don't have constant worrying, it helps withy OCD, and the things that bothered me before have just become basically no big deal to me. I happier, I focus much better? And my spirits are brighter than they have been in months!!!"

Pinkin (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2014

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I felt it working in a couple of days and I felt great! The depression lifted and I felt so much more energy, no more crying and actually wanted to do things! There is depression that runs in my family and I also feel like it happens more seasonally in the winter. However, after a week of taking it, I developed an allergic reaction and broke out in hives on my legs. This is the first allergy I've ever had! Had to stop taking it due to the reaction and now I've been put on Pristiq...we will see how things go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2014