User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

Wellbutrin SR Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Depression

"I started on 150 mg Sr for one week then went up to 300mg. At first I felt speedy which I loved , lots of energy I could clean for hours lol,and really weird in public like everyone was staring at me . After a month I'd say it settled a bit , my depression has gone totally. I was so negative before, I complained so much and started to cry in secret. It stopped completely and it works fast - I'd say immediately. Best thing for me was my life long issues with food, over eating and sugar binges just vanished. I couldn't believe It. I lost 5 kilos quickly, my appetite came back but still I don't binge on sugar. I have to watch what I eat but thank goodness I don't have the obsession with food anymore . Also stopped smoking after a few days and now I can't believe I ever smoked yuck . Over all it's a miracle drug that is life changing . I live in Egypt and its dirt cheap for 30 less then 5 dollars as its produced locally by Glaxo Smith Kline, Egypt ."

Chloelynne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2018

"Took me 2 tries to get on it, first time I tried it, it sent me into a anxiety attack for the 3 days and had to stop. I think this was my own nerves though. Waited a couple months, then tried again. This time it went much better, the first 4 days had a lot of head fogginess & jitters, but otherwise not too bad. After that, suddenly I felt much better! My mood improved a bit, I had much more energy (I wasn't getting that mid-day crash anymore), and I was getting less headaches. But the cons of it were constipation, mild moodiness, and anxiety in the evening and towards going to sleep for some reason . Not a terrible experience, but ended up being a bit too much for me to handle as a full time student."

byn January 16, 2018

"I've been taking this medication off and on for quite a few years and I have mixed feelings about it. If you want lots of energy this is the stuff to take. If you have OCD or an anxiety disorder you might want to pair this with some Effexor or Zoloft. I'm still in the process of figuring out a dose that works good for me. I'm on 450mg xl and 75mg Effexor xl. If you want to drink alcohol keep it to a minimum preferably no more than 3 beers I personally find that it reduces my desire to drink and I'm also going to ask doctor about taking Contrave which is 300 mg Wellbutrin and 12.5 mg Naltrexone for weight loss (Thanks Effexor)"

mihulka3 January 15, 2018

"I started taking 100mg XL in October for my depression. For the first 3 weeks I kind have just felt the same. Then I was moved up to 200mg SR and that’s when I started noticing a change about 4 weeks in. It reduced a lot of my depression along with my 10/10 anxiety. After 3 weeks, I started 300 mg SR and I definitely noticed a change. I had a lot more energy, starting doing things I once enjoyed, and did better in my college classes. With weight loss, I lost 16 pounds after the first 2 weeks of taking the 300mg SR. Overall, wellbutrin has worked so well for me and has helped reduced my depression and anxiety. 10/10"

Kayyyyyyyy January 8, 2018

"I like this medication but sometimes I feel angrier than I should be. I’m very quick to snap sooooo IDK if it’s this medicine or what"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2017

"I just started taking a very small dose of Wellbutrin and will be gradually increasing. It is being prescribed for major depression and anxiety. For the past 2 years when I wake up in the morning it's usually quickly followed by a terrible anxiety that usually goes away but can take a few hours to do so. Anyone else experience this morning anxiety?"

Astig2410 (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

"I have been on 150mg of Welbutrin SR for a little over 2 years. If I could go back and do it over again I never would have started taking it in the first place. It wasn't until I was taking the medication for about 4 months that I really started noticing hair loss. It slowly started to get worse. On top of that I noticed ringing in my ears. The first few months were great, I had more energy energy, I lost weight, and I felt great. I have been trying to wean myself off of Welbutrin, however it's been extremely difficult because of the horrible withdrawal symptoms. Even tapering off a little has been extremely difficult. I wish I would have done more research on the side effects and possible withdrawal symptoms."

Maureen S. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2017

"Dopamine and norepinephrine are two major brain chemicals in the feelings of romantic love. Serotonin (key in SSRIs) actually suppresses dopamine and inhibits feelings. This dopamine and norepinephrine (a stimulant) reuptake inhibitor can help and and DRIVE without sexual side effects, weight gain, and apathy caused by SSRIs. Often prescribed with an SSRI to counteract side effects of it. Also it is reported to have few side effects (unless you suffer from a seizure disorder that is). I recommend this over an SSRI or in addition to one."

JokerRose September 3, 2017

"I tried so hard to stay on bupropion 150SR for my Depression and BPD but I just couldn't . I lasted 10 days on it, It gave me a weird headspace ie: negative thoughts and bad memories from the past ... I kept telling myself to persevere but I just couldn't aside from the chronic constipation it caused . I will always wonder now what would have happened had I stuck it out for 4 to 6 weeks . Just felt too weird and disoriented on it. Thanks for reading my comment and if anyone had a similar experience, please share. Thanks"

Janey13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

"The Wellbutrin XL gave me severe constipation and headaches, but the SR is working well. I have only been on it for 2 weeks and I notice a improvement in my moods, daily sleepiness and it has NOT decreased my sex drive. Prozac worked well for me also, but it just killed the sex drive and at my age that wasn't acceptable. (38). I feel myself eating less and hopefully it may lead to a few pounds weight loss."

sun78 May 24, 2017

"Much better with the SR but it still needed to be coupled with another med"

N2jzblue (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

"This medicine has been the best at treating my depression. I've tried Prozac, Pristiq, Effexor and Trintellix and Wellbutrin's stimulating properties are what have made this drug so effective for me. Every other antidepressant I've been on has made me feel drugged, zoned out and tired. Probably the best out of all the other antidepressants I tried was Effexor, but even then it triggered what I know believe to have been manic episodes. Sad thing is that this drug is no longer effective for me after 3 years."

RonaldRoggie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2017

"I have been on Wellbutrin for about four months. I can definitely say that it works very well. My symptoms before taking it were: mood swings, constant fatigue, irritable, very low to nonexistent sex drive & not able to finish anything I started. My first two weeks on Wellbutrin I had a rough go with side effects. Side effects were: couldn't sleep. Heavy/tight chest which resulted in a panic attack. Itchy palms & feet. I wanted so bad to stop taking it but Very glad I didn't. I feel great now and have lost 15lbs. The Sex drive has come back full force. Advice: take benadryl those first few weeks to help you sleep. Best choice I have made was asking my doctor for help."

Wife&Mom1 February 7, 2017

"I stopped taking effexor after being on it for five years. Worked great but it was keeping me up at night, had to skip a dose to have a decent sleep. So I reduced to the lowest dosage before completely going off with the help of my doctor, in the hopes I didn't need anti depressants anymore. Was ok for a few weeks and boom, super depressed, suicidal, the works. So I was prescribed wellbutrin and mirtazepine for sleep. The wellbutrin worked right away and mirtazepine was great for sleep. But it only worked well for a few months. Started redeveloping social anxiety, panic attacks, fits of rage, suicidal thoughts and all that fun stuff. I went to a new doctor and he basically told me that wellbutrin isn't good for anxiety lol. Good to know!"

Sean_c January 22, 2017

"Started taking this for depression when I was 17 (16 years ago). After about a week, I had a massive panic attack that lasted for 2 days straight and I've had a panic disorder ever since. Medication destroyed my life."

Nic84 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

"My doctor started me on a very low dose of this (100mg). I have anxiety, depression, and (a questionable diagnosis, pending review) of bipolar disorder. The first day I took this I had a full blown panic attack. My heart was racing so fast and I was experiencing pretty bad chest pain and heaviness, so much so that I called the office and they wanted me to stop taking it and go to the ER to have an EKG done. I stopped taking it for about 2 weeks, but wasn't ready to give up on it - big mistake. So I went back on it for 3 days. Each day I had elevated heart rate, and felt anxious all day long. I was EXTREMELY irritable to the point of rage, my ENTIRE face broke out with painful cystic acne I'd never had before - basically over night. Skip!"

Brvvkelindsey January 7, 2017

"I credit Wellbutrin for my life. Started taking 150mg Wellbutrin SR 15 years ago to combat the sleepy side effect of prozac (taken for depression). About a year later I dropped the Prozac (because of sexual side effects). the Wellbutrin is enough to keep me normal. Over the 14 years I have tried 1: The no name brand (almost a disaster- made me sleepy & more depressed-fortunately i figured it out before getting suicidal) 2: The name brand long acting version- again made me sleepy and more depressed. 3. Took 2 by accident once or twice- ok until it wears off, then withdrawal feeling/depressed. 4. Sometimes I take one in the afternoon (when I am unemployed and more depressed) this works pretty well provided I take it before 3pm- or keeps me awake."

FemalethatLovesToBuild (taken for 10 years or more) December 24, 2016

"Seeing that most anti depressants take time to actually build up in your system before sustained relief occurs, I have begun taking it and thankfully have felt a decrease with many adverse symptoms of my depression. Sex drive and focus has slowly begun to amp up and I feel more at ease consistantly. I personally have had a good experience on this med. Good luck on your quests for sustained relief."

Cool guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2016

"I took this 75mg for about 5 months I loved it how it got me up & going compared to the 20mg of Prozac was taking off & on 9 yrs before But around the 4th month started finding myself getting mad easy & than my 1st panic attack happened. Had never new about the this & wish I never did. Stopped the Wellbutrin now 6 months & still having horrible attacks that keep sending me to hospital. ER DR told me I'm not the 1st to say their panic attacks started after taking Wellbutrin. So I'm standing up to ask if any one else has because it's not in there side effect list. I'm gonna make a blog on YouTube soon to help find an army"

SAM2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

"Taking name brand. started 150 1x a day for a week. first day so amazing, energized,went to the gym, positive & for 4 days felt great.5th not so much & by 7th day was feeling back to my depressed self so I upped it to 2 a day. now I go from anxious to flat. feel absolutely nothing, zoned out, very irritable. vivid dreams & nightmares, kind of can't separate dream from reality cause it seems like someone's in the house & I wake up out of a dead sleep & I'm not sure if someone's in the house. going to give this a few more days if things don't get worse hopefully they'll get better, if not, not going to take it anymore. I took this because I wanted to avoid weight gain which happened years ago with other SSRIs. hasn't affected appetite."

Msrubi54 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

"Do not take this medication if you have a pre-existing anxiety disorder...even if you are on a benzo or buspirone before starting it. My anxiety was well controlled with an SSRI and buspirone, but my depression did not seem to be getting any better. My Psychiatrist tried switching me from the SSRI to 100 mg Wellbutrin SR. I could only take the Wellbutrin for 6 days. It gave me horrible panic attacks, racing heartbeat, and severe sweating. I have no doubt it may work well for depression, but it is a bad drug to try if you have depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I am now back on the SSRI. I would rather deal with some depression than have panic attacks!"

natsgirl73 (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2016

"Wow! I have been taking Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. for one week ( started October 15,2016) then 2nd week taking 150 mgs at 12:00. I have never taken any medication for my mild depression, easily agitated, sweating the small stuff, slightly obese (209 lbs), too tired after work to play with the kids diagnosis. Then, OMG, my life is forever changed. In my second week on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice per day, I down to 203 lbs.,I didn't realize how much agitation and sadness I was trying to manage on my own, I am a lot calmer when stressful situations arise, play with my kids & exercise. I feel like there is always a song in my heart. Unless, somebody does something really STUPID to PISS me off! But even then, I can forgive faster! God, I'm happy"

Honnie G (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2016

"I just wanted to say that I had a lot of these negative symptoms when I was in the generic "Buproprion" (headaches, vivid nightmares) but after switching to the "name brand only" I no longer had those horrible side effects.. It's hard to tell in these reviews which people are taking the generic version ( which was horrific) and who is reviewing the actual Wellbutin SR. The name brand worked so much better!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

"I started taking this medication last week, I started suffering from depression when my marraige began to fall apart! I was trying for years to be there for my husband as he returned from a deployment suffering from serve ptsd! Right now I can say my opinion on this medication differs. One day I'm fine and can get through my day calm, other days I have serve anxiety and I'm freaking out or I'm so tired with headaches that I just want to be alone and sleep all day! A big concern,even through I shouldn't be complaining about is losing weight in a week I have already dropped 5 pounds! I feel as if I should give this more time to balance me out! I'm only on 150mg once a day"

Tori1289 October 11, 2016

"it's pretty damn great! it makes me feel so much better. although it causes significant weight loss. i was 5'3 100 pounds (on the verge but fine considering my frame) but now i'm 89lbs. so yeah that's not good. if you're tiny like me naturally, i wouldn't recommend...but i tried every drug on the planet and the side effects are worth it. i just have to force myself to eat more"

macyyyyyy October 3, 2016