User Reviews for Wellbutrin SR to treat Depression

Wellbutrin SR Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin SR

partridge · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 29, 2020

“I was prescribed Wellbutrin SR as a boost for my regular antidepressant (I have seasonal affective disorder), since I am at the top-end of the dosing and didn't feel comfortable increasing. Overall excellent medication. I don't notice many side effects and it has helped to increase my energy/mood enough to make it bearable during the winter months. If I miss a dose, I get a headache which does grow into a migraine if left unchecked.”

isa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 24, 2020

“I've been taking Wellbutrin 150mg SR (generic) once a day for the past 6 months. I have had no negative side effects. It was originally prescribed to treat my Binge Eating disorder but it did nothing for it. BUT it did improve my depressed moods drastically! No needing check lists anymore to prompt me to do all the basic stuff a normal human being should be doing, like take a shower.. So for about 5 months I was not depressed anymore, I was also less anxious and had less intrusive thoughts. I now think, one month later (so after 6 months), that I should bump it to twice a day (like it's intended in the first place anyways) because my depression and intrusive thoughts are slowing coming back and ruining my attempts at self-care. In the past I took Paxil and Effexor. Paxil never worked. Effexor worked for a while (with bad side effects), then stopped working for me. I hope I have now found what will work for me long term!”

Mel · Taken for 10 years or more April 4, 2020

“I been taking it over 15 years it has saved my life ”

Mk · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

“So over the last year I had noticed my anxiety has spiraled out of control and I was beginning to feel depressed a lot my Dr. suggested Wellbutrin SR 150mg for about 2 weeks then I moved up 300mg. I’m totally impressed I have no depression whatsoever since the first day I began Wellbutrin and I went to getting headaches everyday due to TMJ to very rarely having a headache. Still have some anxiety so we’re working on taking care of that..”

LC · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2019

“I had every bad side effect and it crept up over time. Insane migraine headaches, stomach pain nausea, ear pain, ringing in the ears, vision problems, vertigo, suicidal thoughts. I also had very frequent urination. The agitation and angry outbursts were really frightening. I was completely fine for 3 months so I didn’t make the connection between the drug and the symptoms at all. I went to doctors for headaches and my bladder and even for allergies until I figured it out myself. I finally thought to myself, what did I start doing differently in my life? It was the Wellbutrin. I called my psychiatrist and told him my symptoms and he told me to stop taking it immediately. I’m glad I figured it out. I really don’t think anybody else other than myself would have. It has been a really rough few weeks with this pain. I felt almost immediately better when I stopped the medication.”

Cassandra77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

“I took 100mg for one month and it really helped with hormonal migraines that I suffer from daily. Cramps and body aches were gone. Worry about the PMDD gone. Depression -gone. I had a lot more energy! I really was soo happy until I realized that my face HURT with raw deep acne lesions. My forehead was completely covered (never happened before in my life) as was the rest of my face (usually only on chin and jaw areas at PMS time). I did experience bad ringing in my ears for the first 3 weeks and it was tougher getting to sleep. I could handle all that but not the pizza face. Too bad:( I also experienced hair thinning but that could be from PMDD. I'm not waiting it out and letting my skin continue to scar.”

Anon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2018

“I took wellbutrin 150mg for 1 week then 300mg for about 5 maybe 6 months and then my doctor increased my dosage to 400 mg mixed with 100mg of Zoloft and I'm shaky, irritated and more prone to crying. I have split personality disorder and its been throwing me into different ones and on top of that I have PTSD and mood disorder plus I'm bi polar type 2 and I've been thrown into my manic states more often. It sucks.”

MamaBear6 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2018

“I have found this medicine to be very good for me. I'm taking 150mg three times a day It has also helped me with losing some weight . My Klonopin works well with it”

Jo November 8, 2018

“ I feel the same way as someone else on here - super irritated and angry . Have ruminations of the past. I'm stopping it today. I have a mood disorder and this makes it bad. Plus I feel weepy too. I can deal with the depression until I find a better med.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2018

“I tried to get by on 150 mg of bupropion but was getting weepy over little things and decided to ask to up my dosage and I am now on 300 mg. (The other 150 mg in the evening). I went through waking in the night as well as during the day with all kinds of negative feelings and gut wrenching crying. I really didn’t have side effects...I stayed away from people because I knew I was not quite “right” and didn’t want to make a “fool” of myself as I knew my thinking was a little askewed. I just today—-24 days into the increase in medication felt a break through and feel like I have a new lease on life...it is like I was teetering on the edge and have now slipped over into normalcy...”

PTSD crazy · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2018

“I recently had to move to a different city, and to find a new doctor. So, he took me off Clonazepam 0.5 for anxiety. Instead, he prescribed Wellbutrin 150 mg 2x to go with my Zoloft 100 mg. I've never taken Wellbutrin, so why did he put me on a high dose right away? I'm irritated at the slightest thing. Trying to get a new psychiatrist.”

Ht1990 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2018

“Switched to Wellbutrin after being on zoloft for two years and it has been awful. I suffer from depression, PTSD and anxiety. Wellbutrin has made me extremely irritable and I'm constantly tired.”

Chloelynne · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2018

“I started on 150 mg Sr for one week then went up to 300mg. At first I felt speedy which I loved , lots of energy I could clean for hours lol,and really weird in public like everyone was staring at me . After a month I'd say it settled a bit , my depression has gone totally. I was so negative before, I complained so much and started to cry in secret. It stopped completely and it works fast - I'd say immediately. Best thing for me was my life long issues with food, over eating and sugar binges just vanished. I couldn't believe It. I lost 5 kilos quickly, my appetite came back but still I don't binge on sugar. I have to watch what I eat but thank goodness I don't have the obsession with food anymore . Also stopped smoking after a few days and now I can't believe I ever smoked yuck . Over all it's a miracle drug that is life changing . I live in Egypt and its dirt cheap for 30 less then 5 dollars as its produced locally by Glaxo Smith Kline, Egypt .”

byn January 16, 2018

“Took me 2 tries to get on it, first time I tried it, it sent me into a anxiety attack for the 3 days and had to stop. I think this was my own nerves though. Waited a couple months, then tried again. This time it went much better, the first 4 days had a lot of head fogginess & jitters, but otherwise not too bad. After that, suddenly I felt much better! My mood improved a bit, I had much more energy (I wasn't getting that mid-day crash anymore), and I was getting less headaches. But the cons of it were constipation, mild moodiness, and anxiety in the evening and towards going to sleep for some reason . Not a terrible experience, but ended up being a bit too much for me to handle as a full time student.”

mihulka3 January 15, 2018

“I've been taking this medication off and on for quite a few years and I have mixed feelings about it. If you want lots of energy this is the stuff to take. If you have OCD or an anxiety disorder you might want to pair this with some Effexor or Zoloft. I'm still in the process of figuring out a dose that works good for me. I'm on 450mg xl and 75mg Effexor xl. If you want to drink alcohol keep it to a minimum preferably no more than 3 beers I personally find that it reduces my desire to drink and I'm also going to ask doctor about taking Contrave which is 300 mg Wellbutrin and 12.5 mg Naltrexone for weight loss (Thanks Effexor)”

Kayyyyyyyy January 8, 2018

“I started taking 100mg XL in October for my depression. For the first 3 weeks I kind have just felt the same. Then I was moved up to 200mg SR and that’s when I started noticing a change about 4 weeks in. It reduced a lot of my depression along with my 10/10 anxiety. After 3 weeks, I started 300 mg SR and I definitely noticed a change. I had a lot more energy, starting doing things I once enjoyed, and did better in my college classes. With weight loss, I lost 16 pounds after the first 2 weeks of taking the 300mg SR. Overall, wellbutrin has worked so well for me and has helped reduced my depression and anxiety. 10/10”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2017

“I like this medication but sometimes I feel angrier than I should be. I’m very quick to snap sooooo IDK if it’s this medicine or what”

Astig2410 · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2017

“I just started taking a very small dose of Wellbutrin and will be gradually increasing. It is being prescribed for major depression and anxiety. For the past 2 years when I wake up in the morning it's usually quickly followed by a terrible anxiety that usually goes away but can take a few hours to do so. Anyone else experience this morning anxiety?”

Maureen S. · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 4, 2017

“I have been on 150mg of Welbutrin SR for a little over 2 years. If I could go back and do it over again I never would have started taking it in the first place. It wasn't until I was taking the medication for about 4 months that I really started noticing hair loss. It slowly started to get worse. On top of that I noticed ringing in my ears. The first few months were great, I had more energy energy, I lost weight, and I felt great. I have been trying to wean myself off of Welbutrin, however it's been extremely difficult because of the horrible withdrawal symptoms. Even tapering off a little has been extremely difficult. I wish I would have done more research on the side effects and possible withdrawal symptoms.”

JokerRose September 3, 2017

“Dopamine and norepinephrine are two major brain chemicals in the feelings of romantic love. Serotonin (key in SSRIs) actually suppresses dopamine and inhibits feelings. This dopamine and norepinephrine (a stimulant) reuptake inhibitor can help and and DRIVE without sexual side effects, weight gain, and apathy caused by SSRIs. Often prescribed with an SSRI to counteract side effects of it. Also it is reported to have few side effects (unless you suffer from a seizure disorder that is). I recommend this over an SSRI or in addition to one.”

Janey13 · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2017

“I tried so hard to stay on bupropion 150SR for my Depression and BPD but I just couldn't . I lasted 10 days on it, It gave me a weird headspace ie: negative thoughts and bad memories from the past ... I kept telling myself to persevere but I just couldn't aside from the chronic constipation it caused . I will always wonder now what would have happened had I stuck it out for 4 to 6 weeks . Just felt too weird and disoriented on it. Thanks for reading my comment and if anyone had a similar experience, please share. Thanks”

sun78 May 24, 2017

“The Wellbutrin XL gave me severe constipation and headaches, but the SR is working well. I have only been on it for 2 weeks and I notice a improvement in my moods, daily sleepiness and it has NOT decreased my sex drive. Prozac worked well for me also, but it just killed the sex drive and at my age that wasn't acceptable. (38). I feel myself eating less and hopefully it may lead to a few pounds weight loss.”

N2jzblue · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2017

“Much better with the SR but it still needed to be coupled with another med”

RonaldRoggie · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 2, 2017

“This medicine has been the best at treating my depression. I've tried Prozac, Pristiq, Effexor and Trintellix and Wellbutrin's stimulating properties are what have made this drug so effective for me. Every other antidepressant I've been on has made me feel drugged, zoned out and tired. Probably the best out of all the other antidepressants I tried was Effexor, but even then it triggered what I know believe to have been manic episodes. Sad thing is that this drug is no longer effective for me after 3 years.”

Wife&Mom1 February 7, 2017

“I have been on Wellbutrin for about four months. I can definitely say that it works very well. My symptoms before taking it were: mood swings, constant fatigue, irritable, very low to nonexistent sex drive & not able to finish anything I started. My first two weeks on Wellbutrin I had a rough go with side effects. Side effects were: couldn't sleep. Heavy/tight chest which resulted in a panic attack. Itchy palms & feet. I wanted so bad to stop taking it but Very glad I didn't. I feel great now and have lost 15lbs. The Sex drive has come back full force. Advice: take benadryl those first few weeks to help you sleep. Best choice I have made was asking my doctor for help.”