User Reviews for Qvar

Asthma, Maintenance 21 reviews 116 medications

6.2
Summary of Qvar reviews 22 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Qvar

For Asthma, Maintenance "Have recently started back on QVAR after having stopped due to gastritis which was probably caused by beta-blocker/aspirin and 2bd blood thinner, for my heart attack which turned out not to be one in the first instance but remained on these meds for months until MRI confirmed otherwise - myocarditis. Respiratory specialist states 60% fine mist particles lodge in the lungs with QVAR, the other 40% probably into my gut which is causing me nausea plus headaches and fungal infected fingers (2). Am back to trying an evening one single dose through spacer, rinsing mouth and hoping I my body will adapt to these side effects. Has anyone got any suggestions or thoughts? I'm immune suppressed with PMR 18+ months on steroids, now tapering."

~MissMegams~ (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance "It doesn't seem to be working for me. This is the 5th week. I need my rescue inhaler 4 times a day."

breathseeker (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance "12 year old son been using Qvar 80 for 2 years. Been very good with no side effects."

Gooddad (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance "QVAR does NOTHING for me except make my Asthma worse! I have been prescribed this medication for about 8 years now. When taken every day it made my asthma worse and I feel myself reaching for my Albuterol constantly. I've had this opinion since I was a child and the Dr. basically thinks I'm full of it.. Well, I stopped using it for years (and my Asthma issues stopped except for occasional flare ups), my Dr. told me to start it again once a day and now my Asthma is awful, I get the "elephant on the chest" feeling without any physical activity. I'm done wasting my time on this medication."

Aryboob (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 15, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance "Our son has been taking Qvar since he was diagnosed with coughing asthma when he was 3 and we are generally happy with it. He used to get awful mouth sores from it every couple of months( despite rinsing with ACT, water, Nistatin, using spacer, etc) for years. Six month ago, we switched him to rinsing with TheraSol mouth wash (by Oratec) and we had no sores ever since! Hope this can help someone else who might be dealing with something similar."

Mom of a pediatric patient (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 28, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance "Waste of time. Coughing increased. Doctor proscribed Qvar with Combivent; increased sputum along with green-black BB-size grease-balls. Waste of time!"

Doug McKenzie January 25, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've used qvar for years, after using azmacort, which started giving me panic attacks. I only use it once a day, which is fantastic. The expense is horrible. It's gone up in price drastically over the past three years--just went up again I believe, to $178 for a 40mcg inhaler. It's the best medication for me, as I need very little of it, and I don't except in extremely rare circumstances, need my emergency inhaler. It's great for management of my mild asthma. Insurance helps a lot with the expense."

Notsharing (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance "I got heart palpitations, really bad - like almost constant. I was taking the 40 mcg one puff twice a day. I switched to flovemt and all is well."

Lisa no thank u to qvar (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance "My son has been on qvar for a few months anf its amazing. He usually wheezes frin allergies amd this has prevented it. So grateful."

Morgies mama (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been using Qvar 40 in the AM for 2 weeks. My breathing still sucks and I constantly feel congested and like I can't get enough air. I've had to use my albuterol inhaler multiple times a day. My doctor wants me to try using the Qvar twice a day to see if it helps. I'll update in a couple weeks."

Shiseidosky (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance "Initially my breathing improved but within a few weeks the improvement disappeared. Within a month I was having major side effects including fatigue and headaches. My kidney function decreased markedly. It took weeks after stopping Qvar to recover from the experience."

Jim99 December 5, 2014

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've had QVar 80 for 2-3 years and it absolutely AMAZING. I NEVER needed to rely on my albuterol inhaler after taking QVar. 10/10. Now, a message to people with the white spots-That is yeast infection. It specifically says you were supposed to RINSE YOUR MOUTH WITH WATER THOROUGHLY (don't drink the rinse water) to avoid yeast infection. "

TargyTag November 6, 2014

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have severe asthma/COPD and have tried different inhalers through the years most only gave me a deeper voice and white patches in my mouth. That has not been my experience with Qvar 80. This medication has really helped my breathing with no white patches or deepened voice. I take 2 puffs am/pm and I am really pleased."

Donna Carol (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2014

For Asthma, Maintenance "Too many serious side effects. If you're on this medicine and you are experiencing unusual effects, and suspect this medicine then tell your Dr immediately."

Anonymous August 12, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have had allergy induced asthma for less than a year now. I was put on Qvar without being told of any side effects. After one month of being on it using one puff in the morning and one before bed I noticed a rash on my chest only and white spots on my tongue. I also noticed that when I was speaking that my voice would get deep and soon change back to normal. I started to go to a new doctor and was given antibiotics for the tongue yeast infection. I also had blood work done and was told that my vitamin D bone density levels were low so I now take vitamin D to take up for it. My chest rash got so bad that I had to stop the Qvar. I see a new doctor tomorrow but the two I saw after being put on Qvar could not figure out why my rash was so bad."

Itchy and scratchy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance "I was on Advair 250/50 when I changed insurance and my new insurance company didn't want to pay for Advair unless I tried Qvar first, and it failed. So, I started using Qvar 80. I was without any asthma medicines while this insurance thing was going on. Good news is that Qvar seems to work better for me than Advair. I didn't realize how bad asthma could get by stopping a medicine for only a week. The Qvar is taking care of that, though. I think it is a great medicine for me."

Missouritiger (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been on Qvar 40 for 4 years because of drastically out of control asthma. It works great for controlling the asthma but it aggravates a heart condition that I have- PVC- so I'm unable to use it as prescribed. Instead of twice a day I use it once every other day. About 2 months ago I ran out and couldn't afford to get to the doctor for a new prescription so I just went without it. My breathing got so bad that I felt like I was living on my rescue inhaler. Just finally got my new prescription today and after one use I'm already feeling better. The only downside to this medication is the cost and since I don't have insurance it's all out of pocket. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have asthma that flared whenever I got a cold, in the spring and with exercise. After 2 rounds of bronchitis in a few months I was put on Qvar and it has helped significantly. I still get the occasional flare with a cold and need my albuterol before exercise but other than that I have been pretty well controlled with Qvar."

becsup March 17, 2012

For Bronchitis "I have been on Qvar for 12 days now and my breathing has improved very much. I still need to use my rescue inhaler once during the night but I feel like this will not be on going. Yesterday I had to go outside for a bit and it was quite cold, as soon as I finished what I had to do, without thinking, I turned and ran back inside. After I was back inside it dawned on me that just a week ago running was out of the question as was was walking very far. My 25 yard dash did not cause me any breathing problems. So far I have not experianced any side effects either for which I am very grateful. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. "

Anonymous February 16, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance "I recently went on QVAR to help control my moderate asthma. I felt the effects within the first week of use. I used to wheeze and cough with every weather change, laughing, or cheering at hockey games. Since starting, I have only had to use my rescue inhaler once. The only negative is that it is causing my voice to faulter and I have a sore throat sometimes. I will gladly take those small inconveniences for the overall benefits of this medicine."

Anonymous June 11, 2010

For Asthma, Maintenance "I would personally give QVAR 80 a 10 out of 10. I used my albuterol rescue inhaler 2-3 times a day and 1-2 in the middle of the night. I'd wake up tight-chested and wheezing for no reason, exercise gave me asthma attacks as did my animal/plant allergies, changes in the weather and even laughing. Since being on QVAR, I don't use my albuterol at all, like once every couple of months. That's why I was so happy for my 5 1/2 year old son when his pediatrician put him on QVAR...he only had attacks when he had a virus. Every single cold would go directly to his chest. However, after being on QVAR for 4 weeks (and not having had any colds, we don't know its effectiveness) he has been having the most long, dragged out and intense tantrums."

Anonymous March 7, 2009

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been using it for about a month now, and my reliance on my rescue inhaler have decreased considerably. When you first start taking it, be patient because it takes a few weeks before you notice it starting to work."

mheidelberger May 13, 2008