User Reviews for Qvar

Asthma, Maintenance 29 reviews 118 medications

5.8
Summary of Qvar reviews 30 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Qvar

For Asthma, Maintenance "Although I'm paying a kings ransom for this thanks to my garbage insurance, this immediately improved my asthma. I'm not sure why so many people seem to have a problem with it but I'm having great success. I'm actually sleeping now, and I'm not rasping all the time. I'm not even kidding it made a difference after the first dose. To be fair I was also enjoying good results with advair, but this seems more effective."

RSKhb May 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I would give a higher rating except that , as others have noted, I don't get the stated 120 doses per canister. Qvar works very well for me when I get the recommended dosage. When the canister starts to fail and I don't realize I'm not getting the prescribed amount things go downhill. I don't like paying for medicine I don't get but the far bigger issue is not getting the protection Qvar provided when I do get it. If the manufacturer fixed this I'll be very happy with Qvar."

rosecrest (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "Qvar works for me...However, for the third time my inhaler quit working before I used it 120 times. A year ago first failure, the inhaler quit working with 12 doses left in it. Second failure 7 months ago, with 15 doses left. Today my inhaler quit at 17 doses. I clean my inhaler as instructed. I cleaned them each time they failed. No help. Cannot find an email address for the manufacturer. They owe me a third off on my next inhaler. That is more than $45.00. Will complain to my insurance company and their pharmacy"

Baa61 April 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been using Qvar for about two weeks. I used Advair before for years, and though it was extremely effective in treating my asthma, it kept making me lose my voice, so my doctor suggested trying Qvar. I happen to be out of my Albuterol inhaler until I see my doctor later this week, so I'm experiencing Qvar with no backup system, and I find it to be very ineffective against my asthma. I'm using it twice a day, two puffs each time, as prescribed, and though it doesn't make my asthma worse, it doesn't appear to improve it either. Except for short spurts during the middle of the day, which might just be incidental. Anyway, I'm going to ask my doctor for another alternative to Advair because Qvar's just not working."

Wheezykins March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "Qvar was a major disappointment to me. I asked my doctor if I could try it out for my asthma because I had heard that apparently this medication goes deeper into the lungs than most other asthma medications. Long story short, I could have inhaled water vapor and it probably would have worked better than the Qvar. If it works for you, fantastic; however, unless your asthma is very mild or very complicated, I would not recommend Qvar as a first-line treatment."

S.V.L (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I found Qvar wasn't as effective as Symbicort for me. As a matter of fact, I found it to irritate my lungs upon inhalation. When inhaled, it causes me to cough for about five minutes. I didn't find my labored breathing ever really improved by Qvar. I switched to Qvar because my co-pay for Symbicort went up from $10.00 to $20.00 a month. But, now that Qvar's has gone up, I'm switching back to Symbicort, which is what I had wanted to do for a couple months now. I've been using Qvar for about 4 months and found it wasn't as effective."

Qvar User January 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I feel like it makes my symptoms worse. I get this cold, tingling feeling in my throat and it feels like someone's sitting on my back. I've been on it for a few years. If anything, it makes me need to use my inhaler more"

JHys (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance ""QVAR makes my asthma so much worse! I have been on this medication for about 2 years now. When taken every day it makes my asthma worse and I feel myself reaching for my Albuterol inhaler constantly. It took me 2 years of telling them that my "overuse" of the rescue inhaler was due to the QVAR for them to finally believe me."

EngTeacher August 15, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "Have recently started back on QVAR after having stopped due to gastritis which was probably caused by beta-blocker/aspirin and 2bd blood thinner, for my heart attack which turned out not to be one in the first instance but remained on these meds for months until MRI confirmed otherwise - myocarditis. Respiratory specialist states 60% fine mist particles lodge in the lungs with QVAR, the other 40% probably into my gut which is causing me nausea plus headaches and fungal infected fingers (2). Am back to trying an evening one single dose through spacer, rinsing mouth and hoping I my body will adapt to these side effects. Has anyone got any suggestions or thoughts? I'm immune suppressed with PMR 18+ months on steroids, now tapering."

~MissMegams~ (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "It doesn't seem to be working for me. This is the 5th week. I need my rescue inhaler 4 times a day."

breathseeker (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "12 year old son been using Qvar 80 for 2 years. Been very good with no side effects."

Gooddad (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "QVAR does NOTHING for me except make my Asthma worse! I have been prescribed this medication for about 8 years now. When taken every day it made my asthma worse and I feel myself reaching for my Albuterol constantly. I've had this opinion since I was a child and the Dr. basically thinks I'm full of it.. Well, I stopped using it for years (and my Asthma issues stopped except for occasional flare ups), my Dr. told me to start it again once a day and now my Asthma is awful, I get the "elephant on the chest" feeling without any physical activity. I'm done wasting my time on this medication."

Aryboob (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 15, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "Our son has been taking Qvar since he was diagnosed with coughing asthma when he was 3 and we are generally happy with it. He used to get awful mouth sores from it every couple of months( despite rinsing with ACT, water, Nistatin, using spacer, etc) for years. Six month ago, we switched him to rinsing with TheraSol mouth wash (by Oratec) and we had no sores ever since! Hope this can help someone else who might be dealing with something similar."

Mom of a pediatric patient (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 28, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "Waste of time. Coughing increased. Doctor proscribed Qvar with Combivent; increased sputum along with green-black BB-size grease-balls. Waste of time!"

Doug McKenzie January 25, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've used qvar for years, after using azmacort, which started giving me panic attacks. I only use it once a day, which is fantastic. The expense is horrible. It's gone up in price drastically over the past three years--just went up again I believe, to $178 for a 40mcg inhaler. It's the best medication for me, as I need very little of it, and I don't except in extremely rare circumstances, need my emergency inhaler. It's great for management of my mild asthma. Insurance helps a lot with the expense."

Notsharing (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2015

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I got heart palpitations, really bad - like almost constant. I was taking the 40 mcg one puff twice a day. I switched to flovemt and all is well."

Lisa no thank u to qvar (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "My son has been on qvar for a few months anf its amazing. He usually wheezes frin allergies amd this has prevented it. So grateful."

Morgies mama (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been using Qvar 40 in the AM for 2 weeks. My breathing still sucks and I constantly feel congested and like I can't get enough air. I've had to use my albuterol inhaler multiple times a day. My doctor wants me to try using the Qvar twice a day to see if it helps. I'll update in a couple weeks."

Shiseidosky (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "Initially my breathing improved but within a few weeks the improvement disappeared. Within a month I was having major side effects including fatigue and headaches. My kidney function decreased markedly. It took weeks after stopping Qvar to recover from the experience."

Jim99 December 5, 2014

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've had QVar 80 for 2-3 years and it absolutely AMAZING. I NEVER needed to rely on my albuterol inhaler after taking QVar. 10/10. Now, a message to people with the white spots-That is yeast infection. It specifically says you were supposed to RINSE YOUR MOUTH WITH WATER THOROUGHLY (don't drink the rinse water) to avoid yeast infection. "

TargyTag November 6, 2014

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have severe asthma/COPD and have tried different inhalers through the years most only gave me a deeper voice and white patches in my mouth. That has not been my experience with Qvar 80. This medication has really helped my breathing with no white patches or deepened voice. I take 2 puffs am/pm and I am really pleased."

Donna Carol (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2014

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "Too many serious side effects. If you're on this medicine and you are experiencing unusual effects, and suspect this medicine then tell your Dr immediately."

Anonymous August 12, 2013

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have had allergy induced asthma for less than a year now. I was put on Qvar without being told of any side effects. After one month of being on it using one puff in the morning and one before bed I noticed a rash on my chest only and white spots on my tongue. I also noticed that when I was speaking that my voice would get deep and soon change back to normal. I started to go to a new doctor and was given antibiotics for the tongue yeast infection. I also had blood work done and was told that my vitamin D bone density levels were low so I now take vitamin D to take up for it. My chest rash got so bad that I had to stop the Qvar. I see a new doctor tomorrow but the two I saw after being put on Qvar could not figure out why my rash was so bad."

Itchy and scratchy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2013

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I was on Advair 250/50 when I changed insurance and my new insurance company didn't want to pay for Advair unless I tried Qvar first, and it failed. So, I started using Qvar 80. I was without any asthma medicines while this insurance thing was going on. Good news is that Qvar seems to work better for me than Advair. I didn't realize how bad asthma could get by stopping a medicine for only a week. The Qvar is taking care of that, though. I think it is a great medicine for me."

Missouritiger (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2012

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been on Qvar 40 for 4 years because of drastically out of control asthma. It works great for controlling the asthma but it aggravates a heart condition that I have- PVC- so I'm unable to use it as prescribed. Instead of twice a day I use it once every other day. About 2 months ago I ran out and couldn't afford to get to the doctor for a new prescription so I just went without it. My breathing got so bad that I felt like I was living on my rescue inhaler. Just finally got my new prescription today and after one use I'm already feeling better. The only downside to this medication is the cost and since I don't have insurance it's all out of pocket. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2012