User Reviews for Qvar

6.5

Asthma, Maintenance

Summary of Qvar reviews 5.1 52 reviews

Reviews for Qvar

For Asthma, Maintenance "My asthma was controlled on old qvar, but since they changed to the redi inhaler, I’ve had consistent and worsening asthma symptoms. Something is not working. I’ve had to go on oral steroids three times in the last 6 months."

Beagle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance "People PLEASE go to the FDA website and use the page for online reporting and report this product! It only takes a few people reporting it to have it investigated. We should not be paying $200+ to have the new inhaler stop working mid month, then have dangerous asthma attacks if we can't afford to replace the inhaler mid month. I made the company aware of my problem. It's happened to me with two inhalers in a row, they won't replace them and I am stuck with them and increasingly and increasingly bad asthma. I am switching brands, but can't immediately since I just paid $236 for the Qvar"

Sarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance "Not happy with the redihaler. Having asthma taking deep breaths is already difficult and do not get all of medication on inspiration. Medicine still coming out when done. Unable to use a spacer for this reason also. Dr will be changing. I really wish they hadn’t changed."

Cmar (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 10, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have had great success with Qvar up to the point they switched to the new redi inhaler. The count is not right and I have found that I only get medicine for the first half. It took me several different inhalers to realize this was the problem as I consistently ended up having to use my emergency inhaler more and more towards the end. When it works I use a rescue inhaler very rarely (once every two weeks or less) and last time as I got down to 40 doses I was having to use it at least 10 times to get through the days and nights. This package has to go!"

Jh (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance "It wasn’t helping me at all it was causing me to have a asthma attack I refused to take it anymore after taking it 3 days in a row"

Anne (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance "My experience has been bad. The redihaler apparently "gets dirty and stops working". The very mean lady in customer service wants to teach you how to clean over the phone. The cleaning has not worked on three of my inhalers. One stopped working with 45 inhalations left another at 65 and my current one at 80. This is a waste of medicine and money. I have to change because they are not standing behind their product. I need to be able to count on my medicine."

Pamela (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "Second time in the year with oral thrush. The redihaler sucks. Have been using Qvar since it’s inception in the market. Not a single episode of thrush with the other packaging (a mere, simple, all known pump). And the worst is that the pump presentation was completely substituted by the ready haler. The product goes into all your mouth crevices. Terrible presentation. At this pace I could have 4 episodes of thrush yearly and there is no other option but the redihaler. As indicated in the package I rinse my mouth."

Shashi (taken for 10 years or more) November 30, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "I’ve tried using Qvar on 3 separate occasions, each time I use it, it causes asthma symptoms (wheezing, shortness of breath), which means I have to take my rescue inhaler or albuteral right after taking Qvar. I refuse to take this medicine again! Does more harm than good!!"

Micky (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "this product works well, however; the last shipment that I received was a different applicator that is terrible! the number of doses remaining goes down but it fails to administer the drug many times. I never know how many doses are remaining because the count is way off. I have even tried to open and close slowly to ensure it opens fully and closes fully and still nothing but yet the number reflects that it worked. I have done this as many as 16 times in order to get one complete dose. PLEASE GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL APPLICATOR!!!!"

NICK NAME (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "Picked first rx of qvar, paid $90 after insurance paid out, next time used their coupon paid $65. After that continued paying $90 each month. Told by CVS they are adding the coupon. Seems they're giving the insurance, co the discount instead. SMH. Thinking of switching to mometasone."

Cmf (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "Made breathing extremely difficult and felt at times could not breathe"

NGspo (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been on this medication for quite some time; about 5 Years now I want to say. I have never had a problem with it, but I want to point out that recently they made a change in the packaging and it’s absolutely impossible to use. I don’t know if I’m just weak, but you have to push and push and push to get it to work. I can’t believe somebody would approve this change. It’s awful! Other than this new thing, when I was taking it before, it very much helped with my asthma. I wasn’t having to take my ProAir rescue inhaler at all, only about once every two or three months when allergies would arise."

Robby (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "I agree with Charlotte1234 in the comments. This drug "works" when you're stable, but the moment there's some trigger, like rainy weather or even allergies acting up, nothing. I had to go to the ER the other day because an asthma attack came out of nowhere when I started struggling with dust and allergies. This never happened on Advair and I wish that I could afford that medication again. I've paid way over my price range for a drug that can't even protect me when it really counts. Sorry, Qvar."

Fiona M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been on qvar for 5 years, it has finally gotten my asthma under control. I have no side effects from this drug, and I have never had an issue with the amount of puffs in my inhaler. I hate that it has gotten so expensive . I’m on Medicare now and my drug plan with Highmark it will cost me $446. O0 and then I have to pay 20% for the rest of the year. Also my xopenex rescue inhaler is very expensive and must pay 20% after deductible."

Ladybug241 January 7, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have only been using QVar for 5 days but so far my asthma symptoms have almost completely disappeared. I take one puff twice a day in conjunction with singular at night. I am giving it an 8 only because of the side effects. Hopefully these will resolve soon but compared to my asthma symptoms, they are tolerable. The worst side effect being a constant faint headache, but tachycardia for the first 10 minutes after use and an overall nauseated feeling for about the same. The last two aren’t as bad today as they were when I first started the medication."

Carolina Nurse (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance "Qvar has worked very well for 7 years but when they changed the cannister from 100 puffs to 120 I find I start getting shortness of breath when the inhaler goes into the red . I used to get 4 inhalers from kaiser now I get 3 and I pay more money . So now I quit using a inhaler when it turns red. The reason I'm writing this review is I used it this morning it was down to 8 puffs and I got shortness of breath. I can't afford this med anymore. Dr says if it starts turning over when you put it in a bowl of cold water its out before they put a counter on it."

toolkeeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2017

For Bronchitis "I've been on Qvar 40mg 2 shots twice a day, for over 12 months. My morning cough disappeared when I first started taking Qvar,then after several months it started again. I've also noticed that I've been having more sinus issues and respiratory infections. Flu like symptoms. I'm 66 and usually never get sick,but I believe Qvar has compromised my immune system. I've also notice a lack of energy and upper back pain and muscle aches in my thighs. My voice has be affected also. I don't know why my doctor has me twice the recommended dosage. I have early stages of emphysema. I wonder if the side effects of Qvar are worth it.....I'm going to stop Qvar and see what happens. I tired of feeling sick and rundown."

BM167 November 19, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I give that medication to my son, I guess is working he is not wheezing like used to. My concern today is the meter went from 88 to 0 in one puff . So upset right now."

NinaRo November 19, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "It's pretty good at controlling my asthma, but when my allergies get worse (which is always) or when I have a cold, it doesn't help much."

Charlotte1234 September 29, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been taking the 80mcg for going on 3 weeks now and I don't feel like its doing any good. I am still using my rescue inhaler 2-4xs a day. I also in the last week have developed what feels like a lump in my throat and trouble swallowing/dry throat along with headaches."

Xtina923 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "QVAR worked very well for me, better than other steroid inhalers. Too bad it is so expensive."

ambientdreamer (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "NEVER NEVER give this medicine to your children! If I could give this medicine a zero I would. My 4 year old son started taking the Qvar inhaler for his asthma. Over the next 3-4 months he started to have nosebleeds. I've tried everything from antibiotics, saline, humidifiers, nothing was helping. One day my son woke up with a nosebleed screaming he was blind, he turned blue, puked up a lot of blood and went limp in my arms. This qvar inhaler caused severe swelling in his sinuses, nosebleeds and low blood pressure. I thought my child had died in my arms I was terrified. I took him off the inhaler and he hasn't had a nosebleed in 3 months. Theres no reason that should have happened to a 4 year old. I would never want anybody to experience that"

Ashley&Landon May 31, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "Although I'm paying a kings ransom for this thanks to my garbage insurance, this immediately improved my asthma. I'm not sure why so many people seem to have a problem with it but I'm having great success. I'm actually sleeping now, and I'm not rasping all the time. I'm not even kidding it made a difference after the first dose. To be fair I was also enjoying good results with advair, but this seems more effective."

RSKhb May 18, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "I would give a higher rating except that , as others have noted, I don't get the stated 120 doses per canister. Qvar works very well for me when I get the recommended dosage. When the canister starts to fail and I don't realize I'm not getting the prescribed amount things go downhill. I don't like paying for medicine I don't get but the far bigger issue is not getting the protection Qvar provided when I do get it. If the manufacturer fixed this I'll be very happy with Qvar."

rosecrest (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 12, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance "Qvar works for me...However, for the third time my inhaler quit working before I used it 120 times. A year ago first failure, the inhaler quit working with 12 doses left in it. Second failure 7 months ago, with 15 doses left. Today my inhaler quit at 17 doses. I clean my inhaler as instructed. I cleaned them each time they failed. No help. Cannot find an email address for the manufacturer. They owe me a third off on my next inhaler. That is more than $45.00. Will complain to my insurance company and their pharmacy"

Baa61 April 8, 2017