User Reviews for Zithromax

Zithromax Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 123 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Zithromax to treat Bronchitis

"I was diagnosed with bronchitis (even though I wasn't coughing) and prescribed zpak. Within 3 hours after first dose, I was shaking all over uncontrollably, blood pressure and heart rate increased significantly. Ended up in Urgent Care, where testing showed no infection in my body and clear lungs. Told to stop the med, drink lots of fluid and wait for med to flush out of my system. Shaking subsided in about 2 hours, but racing heart continued for several more. I'm also unable to go to sleep now. Don't need an antibiotic, but won't ever take this one again!"

Bunny (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

"Wow, after reading the comments here, I am thankful to say I've had very little in side effects. Had worsening bronchitis and sinusitis for over a month. Finally called the doc for antibiotics. Within 24 hours I could feel it working. Had a short spell of my temp going up the first day. I'm on day 5 and almost clear of infection and thankful this med will keep on working for a while. Each day I've had a short spell of belly cramps but that's it. I generally eat a lot of yogurt so that may help. I react very badly to plain erythromycin so however this is different it's a great improvement."

Nana-New England January 3, 2018

"I have asthma and recently came down with bronchitis yesterday and ended up at urgent care. I had noticed it a few days ago when my chest was tight and my inhaler wasn’t helping, and this morning after I woke up feeling terrible with a wet cough and lower back pain from the cough. I went to urgent care and they prescribed me a z pack which I am currently on. The second day of taking it I had a 101.4 fever, and it has been reduced by taking ibuprofen as well. I am coughing up lots of phlegm which is helping me breathe better, and I’m coughing less. Overall, so far doing good. I will update if anything comes back"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

"Overall, the medications I was prescribed by the doctors worked pretty well. I had an awful cough for a little over two weeks, constantly coughing up phlegm, and had horrible wheezing. It says online to try and wait it out for two weeks but since nothing was getting better I went to the doctors. I was prescribed the z pack, a 5 day dose of prednisone, and an inhaler. After about 3 days on the medications there was a significant difference. I no longer was experiencing cough attacks and the amount I was wheezing diminished. I've been off the medication for 3 days now, and a majority of my bronchitis is gone. I experienced no side effects with any of the medications and am overall happy with the results."

CJeanL August 23, 2017

"I woke up one morning with burning in my chest when I coughed, lots of mucous in my upper respiratory area, a headache, 101 fever and the mucous was even flowing out of my left eye. My Internist prescribed the Zpack. On day 3, the burning in my chest went away. But the side effects were severe. On day 3, I began to get massive night sweats. These sweats lasted 31 days after the last pill I took. My blood sugar level also rose to prediabetic levels. My glucose was tested at 115, then 108. My blood pressure and heart beat rocketed for well over a month before it subsided. I would say that my body did not respond very well to Zithromax. But the drug did what it was suppose to. I would never take this drug again unless I was forced to ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

"Was given Z pack for Bronchitis. Didn't really help with it. Made me have diarrhea. Made me sick to my stomach, terrible metallic taste and sinus mucus. It was like it was toxic on my system. I also got a bladder infection after taking it. Probably killed all the good bacteria in my gut. Never again."

RitzGS (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

"Eased my chest tightness when coughing after first day. Took for 3 days then starting experiencing stomach cramps, diarrhea, and gas pressure. Gave me a funny taste in my mouth that I coudn't get rid of. Did not take the last 2 pills. Would rather have a cough then stomach issues."

Anonymous April 7, 2017

"It worked for awhile but didn't kill the bronchitis because it came back - I also got a yeast infection right after taking it."

Medmanager (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

"OMG never again. Within 30 min of taking the 2 pills for the first dose, I experienced a feeling of being intoxicated. It is now 12 hrs later. I still feel high or intoxicated like I had a couple of heavy drinks in me. I'm stumbling, cannot operate a vehicle, walk, or even take a shower or stare at this screen or type on my phone. This drug is horrible. I am jittery and I feel like I'm dying so bad that I just had to call an on-call DR to prescribe me some Augmentin, which I know I can tolerate. I'm taking panic attacks and I feel I am in a brain fog and "comfortably numb". Cannot concentrate or think on this drug. Its the same feeling like right after a percocet, but the high feeling hasn't let up. I hope this feeling goes away soon!!"

HighOnZithro (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

"The z pak cleared up my bronchitis right away. However it almost instantly caused symptoms of gastritis and pancreatis that made me very ill for five months. I could eat very little but was rapidly losing weight. My doctor found low liver and kidney enzymes and suggested futher tests. A endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, several lab tests and $1700 later there was no diagnosis but after five months i gradually got better. The next winter I got another cold that turned into bronchitis and was again prescribed a z-pak. Almost immediately the same symptoms occurred and I was just as sick for another 5 months. This time the connection was clear - Z-PAK."

7020erh June 4, 2016

"I was coughing up brownish yellow mucous with a deep cough.After a breathing treatment and 2-3 days of zithromax I was clear without any residual effects."

Keifofer (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

"A LOT of trouble with stomach issues; diarrhea, stomach pains & MAJOR STOMACH DISCOMFORT !!!!"

Doritz April 29, 2016

"Used a number of times over the years and always found it to work better than anything. 250mg capsules (6), 2 to begin then 1 per day, 1 hour before, or 2hours after eating. Lots of coughing up phlegm but clears the chest so can breath properly. Keep lots of tissues handy. It ought to be available over the counter, as in some foreign countries."

old man 79 February 29, 2016

"Anaphylaxis."

Tony 709 January 7, 2016

"Never have taken the generic brand before the pharmacy took it upon themselves to switch it ( Rite Aid) I have to say I'm on day 3 of 5 and it's not working.With original the 3 day Pak I started feeling better that night now got to call the doc back and have it represcribed somewhere else and tell them to do not do generic!!!"

Generic sucks June 3, 2015

"I had the most horrible case of a bronchial infection. I was sick for almost a week. I went to the doctor, I was prescribed a 250mg Z-pack. I began to feel better on the second day, which is where I am now. I am beginning to cough up some phlegm that was making my chest feels so very tight.so far I am not experiencing any side effects. I do take it during a midday snack. I have rated it a 10 so far based on my personal experience. I just hope it clears this completely up."

Amberlee M (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"I went to the ER after I coughed up blood a few times thru the day, and I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis. I was prescribed the zpack 5 day regimen. After a couple of days I began feeling a little better, but by the 5th or 6th day, I felt worse. I had severe nausea and became anorexic to the point that I lost 14 pounds. It took about another 4-5 days until I could eat more than a bite or so of food at any sitting. It's been around a month and a half since this happened, and I'm still having issues with my appetite and weight. I'm still down the 14 lbs, and my energy flags easily. I'll never EVER take that med again due to such an experience. I've had fine success with other antibiotics, without them being this hard on my gut."

Piggaboo (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

"This stuff starts working on Day One. Within a couple hours of taking it, I already feel like the congestion has halted and just needs to clear up. Make sure to take the whole pack, but all three times I've ever had bronchitis sneak in during a cold, Zithromax knocks it right out. No side effects for me."

Alcor (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2015

"I suffere from asthma and would frequently come down with bronchitis. This Zithromax is a lifesaver. I love how it helps me get over it quickly and I am on my feet again within the week. Best prescription ever."

ShawnieMichael (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2014

"The only medicine that works on my bronchitis I've tried others and suffered more. For me it starts working in 2 days. No side effects for me just relief. I love it. But I really need to quit smoking. I wouldn't get it so often, get it at least 2 times a year."

Renee rap November 19, 2013

"Got a regular head cold about a week ago. The cold is better but the cough got much worse - so violent I can't talk. Went to Urgent Care - they gave me Lortab for coughing, a Z-pack & an inhaler. It's been 2 hours and I am already feeling an improvement. This is the second time in 2 years that this happens to me. I only wish that I could prescribe it to myself at the onset next time instead of trying every other medicine!"

Bronchitis sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2013

"I came down with Bronchitis and was prescribed Zithromax. I was prone to ear infections when I was younger and was always prescribed this because I was allergic to penicillin. I had no side effects then, but now I have bad stomach cramps and diarrhea."

Anonymous August 5, 2012

"This medicine worked the first time on me with no problems. The second time I used this I had a severe reaction which caused very low blood pressure, I could not feel my pulse, in which I had to go to a Dr. I now am allergic to this medicine. This medication works very well if you can use it. It works very fast."

jas1959 April 20, 2012

"Zithromax works. I see a lot of websites stating that bronchitis is usually caused by a virus. The fact is, that although the triggering mechanism that brought on the bronchitis may be a virus, a secondary infection of bacteria is common. My entire family had bronchitis for several weeks. Zithromax will get rid of it in most cases. Don't believe the nonsense that you don't need antibiotics- after a couple of weeks of this, go get some Zithromax. It works!"

Anonymous January 30, 2012

"I took a full course of the 250mg 5 day pack with no ill effects except for a metallic taste in my mouth but then the bronchitis came back, so was prescribed the 500mg 3 day course. On day two, I got severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. I am not going to take the final dose, because although the bronchitis is better, I can't deal with the intense stomach discomfort."

Anonymous January 15, 2011