User Reviews for Atomoxetine to treat ADHD (Page 4)

Also known as: Strattera

Atomoxetine Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Atomoxetine

Grads June 14, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been on strattera for four months for ADHD. I also have anxiety. Strattera took a few weeks to see the effects, but my focus has increased and my hyperactivity has gone down. It can make your ear ring, raise your blood pressure, and your heart rate for a while, but I have found this is less apparent with a meal. In the beginning it made me very nauseous and there was vomiting, but not if you eat with a meal. I take it in the morning. I feel that if you wait, you will eventually become accustomed to the dosage and see results similar to Vyvanse. I take 40mg a day.”

I am really good at math · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2019

“I was once on Vyvanse, then I was taken off. I was prescribed Atomoxetine (Strattera,) and my first impression was an improvement in mood. While it did help with ADHD I found it still harder to concentrate compared to a stimulant. A little insomnia did happen but it was nothing one couldn't manage. I did however experience Discontinuation Shock Syndrome when I missed doses, and especially when I had to go cold-turkey because I couldn't afford my $15 co-pay. I really knew if I missed a dose if I kept getting dizzy, dizziness was all that happened though really. Regardless, I am now back on Vyvanse because I need it.”

AdultFem26yrs June 6, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I started with 40mg of Strattera and worked my way up to 80mg. The only side effects I've experienced are some mild queasiness and drowsiness, and once my body got used to the medication those side effects went away! I've noticed significant mood improvement with the combination of this drug and diet/ exercise. Planning for the future is noticeably less stressful and I even found it easier to do simple things like grocery shopping and coming into work early. I’m still not perfect, because I have still missed a dentist’s appointment. I’ve also noticed less cognitive distortions, which makes things more comfortable. I will say that it still doesn’t help with the immediate distractions or impulses, like stimulants do. It takes some time for it to work, you have to take it every day, and you still need to live a healthy life. So even if it helps a little its not some miracle drug. Manage your expectations if you’re considering asking your doctor about it.”

Neil · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “2 weeks in and I am still waiting. All I do is keep failing asleep everywhere, no other side effects. Came off of Lisdexamphetamine 2 weeks ago which was real good but side effects were bad heartburn and dry mouth and feeling exhausted every day, but it worked very well otherwise. But needed to slow down to switched to Atomoxetine, now waiting for the results... Not sure when or how I will feel..... Neil”

goat · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I've been on 25mg Strattera for around 10 days and it is starting to feel like an "on" switch hit my brain. I can almost write computer programming code again with ease after I was practically crippled.”

leeflaherty2019 · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

“I have ADHD and have been on atomoxetine 4 days and these tablets within 20 minutes made me feel rubbish. I had slurred speech and a lot of the side effects but I have been told to keep taking as these side effects will decrease within time. I have been irritable and moody since been on atomoxetine and I cannot focus or concentrate much. The only good thing is my anxiety levels are low”

Brian · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Was prescribed 40mg Strattera off the bat. Had every side effects within 30 minutes of taking the pill. I vomited, got hot flashes then goosebumps, drowsy and sleepy. I felt like I didn’t want to go anywhere. Tried again the next day with food and couldn’t hold it down after 2 hours. Again same side effects. People are like “give the medication a chance to work”. Screw that - I've never experienced more terrible side effects in my life even though I just started. Only positive is my anxiety went away but I didn’t feel like going anywhere. Never again”

buggy boy · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Hi all diagnosed with ADHD after researching after a diagnosis been a roller coaster for me. We went to Ritalin first didn't make any changes then doctor put me on Concerta same as Ritalin no real positive response so he has just started me on Strattera 60mg for the first week then up to 120mg I haven't experienced any negative effects apart from slight nausea but usually settle down quickly. I know it's different for everyone but I can honestly say that even after a week I have noticed a difference have now been on 120mg for 3 days and things are going great - less distracting thoughts able to get work done and invoices sent out looking forward to what the next few weeks”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2019

“Atomoxetine potentially helped me to work longer on an assignment however that may have been a one off that I would have done anyway. I've been on this for 2 months and I feel severely depressed, jittery, a bit spacey, overwhelmed, anxious and I'm sweating a lot especially my face. I don't like it. I need to come off.”

Nope1793 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “TERRIBLE medicine. Do yourself a favor and don’t take it because the side effects are terribly embarrassing. Stopped taking it months ago and take all-natural remedies instead.”

PP · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2019

“WORST possible side effects, very expensive medicine. I took it for one month and it actually worsen my symptoms, severe fatigue and severe anxiety, it ruined my life.”

bitchenkitchen March 30, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I took Strattera for 3 months for ADHD. I started on 30mg, and had severe side effects such as headache, fatigue, nausea, muscle aches and a high heart rate. These side effects were not able to be relieved with painkillers, eating or drinking. Then my dosage was increased to 40mg. I was now experiencing insomnia, an extreme heart rate and would often nearly faint when I stand up for too long or too quickly. I also started to experience depression and suicidal thoughts. I had my dosage decreased to 10mg but the side effects persisted, only to a lesser extent. Whenever I come off the drug, I immediately feel better. To anyone reading; I spent 3 months well aware of the side effects and common negative reaction because I desperately wanted it to work and to be one of the few that seem to get positive effects, but this did not work out and it caused a lot of unnecessary grief in my life in the past few months. Take care and caution.”

Mscleo1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This did not work at all. I figured I would try the non-stimulant route, but it turned out to be useless and a waste of time. I have had much better luck with Vyvanse and have been on it for many years.”

Meh · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2019

“I've been taking atomoxetine 80mg for 8 weeks for ADHD and here is my review: I noticed very slight improvements in controlling racing and intrusive thoughts - only slightly. This medicine does take a while to achieve maximum effectiveness, but I'm still at level 1. I sleep way more on this drug than off. For example, after 20-30 minutes of taking 80 mg on an empty stomach, I fall asleep for up to two hours. I do feel somewhat calmer and able to slow down to actually listen to to people. I don't get upset and frustrated like I did before, but my focus is pretty much the same. I still haven't done anything remarkable. In other words, atomoxetine is good at taking some of the tension away, but nothing for focusing thoughts. It works great for some people; I wish I was one of them. I am going to try a stimulant, like Adderall. I don't need to sleep all day anymore.”

Aon March 17, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I've been taking it for 8 days (it's not a long time and it does take a while to actually get into effect) but so far I've noticed that my mood has been slightly lower than normal and I get angry easier. I also have been getting sensory overload but I'm just gonna put that on the fact that I'm no longer on anxiety meds. This medicine takes 4-6 weeks to fully go into effect and I will be waiting till then to see how it goes. Medicine works differently on everyone, so while some people think it's awful, others may think it's the best thing that's ever happened to them. If your doctor prescribes it, I suggest taking it and waiting till the 4-6 week mark unless it makes you physically ill, and even then I would give it a week or two to see if it goes away. This kind of thing is normally hit or miss and you might have to go through a few meds before you find one that is right for you. It has a lot of negative reviews but the review that are good are saying that it's amazing and you could be that person.”

Moyo · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2019

“After taking 10 different antidepressants -which of the equivalent of a sugar pill on me and none of them worked and I was able to quit cold turkey without any side effects my doctor decided maybe I was misdiagnosed with adult ADHD ! After a week this medication has been like a miracle - during my depression like no other drug has done - 0 side effects . Perhaps on my next visit we will try increasing the dose - but so far I am thrilled with the results”

Nik February 11, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This drug ruined my life. I took it for five months total. I was only on 25mg and it was giving me heart palps and panic attacks. If I had anything with caffeine I thought I would die. When I stopped taking this med everything spiralled down. I had terrible anxiety, couldn't sleep, couldn't think straight and had dry mouth for months. This slowly improved over two and a half years until I felt normal again. But now after being on other meds like Cipro my symptoms came back and I have to start over. I'm sensitive to any mood altering substance land probably will be for the rest of my life! I used to have goals but now I struggle to survive. I have a friend who came off it fine but in my opinion it's not worth it. Other people I've talked to have had similar reactions. I hope I can do good by offering this advice: don't take strattera to manage ADHD even though it seems safe. I live with pain and regret every day and would give anything to go back and change my mind about taking strattera.”

Anc710 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’ve been taking Strattera for a month. After being on it for two weeks, out of the blue, I had an angry outburst; a fit of rage directed at my husband for something small. It was completely out of character for me. Since then I have felt negative, angry, and irritable most days. Also after taking it for two weeks, I started getting a horrible, bitter taste in my mouth about twice a day with an acidic feeling in my stomach (not associated with any food or drink). And I have extreme dry mouth. I had dry mouth while taking Adderall, too, but the dry mouth I’m experiencing on Strattera is off the charts! And it has done something weird with my focus. I’ll be focused on one thing that I want to accomplish, then I get easily distracted by something else and I hyper-focus on that to the extent that I can’t stop what I’m doing (like obsessive compulsive) and everything and everyone around me suffers. My last dose was yesterday. My doctor is switching me back to Adderall.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been taking Strattera (50mg) for just under three weeks. I have noticed subtle improvements in focusing and organizing thoughts. The overlapping things to remember in my mind have quieted down. I hope to increase to 80mg at my four week mark. These are the side effects I'm experiencing: daily sleepiness, dry mouth (nothing major), runny nose/clear sinuses and insomnia (until I moved my second dosage to 3 p.m. from 7 p.m.). I really hope the fatigue clears up after a month. That is my biggest concern at the moment. I do not have the appetite suppression, nausea, vomiting or dizziness that some people have. Also, I take it on an empty stomach. Overall, I'm pleased, but still in the early stages. I would recommend trying Strattera. The generic cost me less than $10 for 30 days.”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Started taking this medication and was bummed out about it not working for a month, and then all of a sudden, week five and I can feel a difference. It's a much cleaner energy to me than adderrall, with adderrall I can't sleep at night, I grit my teeth, and am almost manic. Strattera is the complete opposite, I can read a book, work on homework and such. Definitely worth the wait.....and no come downs, steady medicine.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2019

“This was given to my 6 yo grandson for possible ADD. First dose yesterday. It was awful. He felt faint was pale with the most dilated pupils I’ve ever seen. Such pains in his stomach never ate all day. Depressed and never got off couch all day. Irritable as can be still today and weak. Never again!!!!”

Erika · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Adult ADHD diagnosed with the onset of depression at age of 32. I was on 60 mg of Adderall but doctors will not prescribe controlled substance anymore due to liability of my insurance through Medi-Cal right now. Strattera has done absolutely nothing for me. I started off with the dosage of 40 mg and went up to 80 mg. Makes me tired and nothing else. Pointless to even take just like Ritalin was.”

Pumpkin · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have felt horrible for weeks, feeling like I'm in the early stages of a disease or disorder. Headaches, joint pain, nausea, constipation, stomach cramps, insomnia, dry mouth, feeling irritated, tired, I've even had eye twitching problems which I've never had in my life. I get flushed or sweaty. Iv'e woke up with horrible leg cramps and toes even feel weird. Never want to take this again.”

AJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I took it only for a few days. It caused me to have severe rage attacks. I didn't continue taking it. (I do not have anger problems normally). Also gave me hot flashes. I went back to adderall which does not cause me any issues.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2018

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have taken this meds over 5 month (10 mg a day) now. It definitely improved as far as concentration, cleared cluttered thought in my head. Now I have no anxiety while I drive because I can focus better. This meds takes time to effect on you and it works if you give it a time. Everybody is different but this meds worked for me without side effect. Be patient with this meds and it will work wonder!”