User Reviews for Atomoxetine to treat ADHD (Page 2)

Also known as: Strattera

Atomoxetine Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Atomoxetine

Ragedabyss January 5, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I will admit there has been a huge improvement in my ADHD since I started taking this Rx. And since I already take a depression and anxiety med I don't have issues with those. No the problem is that it's killed my sex life. My girlfriend and I used to have a healthy sex life but since I started this med my libido has all but gone, strange things happen during intercourse, and I have painful orgasms. I can't decide if it's worth it yet but I'm leaning towards no”

First time Strattera user. · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’m a 27 female, previously diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I currently take Lexapro 10mg once a day, which controls my anxiety and the majority of my depression. Though my depression still exists and I have an inability to concentrate and I’m tired constantly. I started on Strattera 3 days ago, so I wanted to document my progress. On day 2 I started experiencing nausea and I took off work. My doctor suggested over the counter nausea medicine before medicines like Zofran, and it’s been helpful. I’m supposed to be careful and monitor my anxiety so that it doesn’t increase, but as of right now it’s under control. I lost sleep last night, but I took it in the morning instead, so we’ll see how well I sleep tonight. Update you all in a week.”

ghchgfutfu · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 2, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Started off on dose of 40mg Strattera, upped to 80mg after a month. Seemed pretty effective for the first few months, concentration was much improved. It is currently 18 months since I started and the effects have reduced to pretty much nothing and concentration levels are as low as they were previously. I also have serious sexual dysfunction as a side effect, including loss of libido, erectile problems and ejaculatory dysfunction. I wanted to go on Strattera to avoid the loss of appetite side effects of the stimulant medications but this also has some loss of appetite side effect. I hope to go back onto a stimulant medication soon after review from my psychiatrist.”

Mother of a Middle Schooler · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Our daughter started taking this medication in October for ADD after failing school. After a month, we noticed a huge change in her ability to focus and obtain excellent grades. She was finishing her work in class and doing extremely well compared to before Strattera. She just made honor roll and never fights or complains about school work anymore. Our only concern, is that we’ve noticed our 11 yr old loosing weight. She is skin and bones and has dropped a clothing size. She says that food isn’t good anymore and has to basically force feed herself. I’m afraid we may have to stop the medication if this doesn’t improve, which is unfortunate because it has so many great benefits and has changed our lives.”

ChriS December 20, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I was taking Concerta but had to go down from 54mg to 30mg because of side effects. With Concerta, I was saying everything that was on my mind and I still could not concentrate enough as my mind was all over the place. I read somewhere that combining Concerta with Stratterra has helped control more ADHD symptoms for some. Started 2 weeks ago on 18mg, and co-workers appreciate. It really gives me the couple of seconds to think about what I'm about to say, improved working memory, and I take it at night since it lasts almost 24 hours, when I wake up, it is easier and I get to work ahead of time. Starting on 25mg today and if still good, will not try and up the antes. Too much meds gives you side effects. So my goal is to be just ok, good enough to be a functional human being. Will let you know how it goes . I started with Strattera, now on the generic Pro Doc. Will tell you if I see a difference.”

Fl Guy · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“This atomoxetine is my first medication for ADD. I am already on 425mg Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety, this give me energy but that's all. Started on atomoxetine 40mg for three days then 60mg for seven days. Made it about eight days before I stopped taking the medication. Immediate side effects dry mouth, could not sleep, felling tired, could not keep an erection and burning orgasm's. Tried to keep going thinking it may go away but it worsened after I started taking 60mg and I still had 80mg and 100mg pills to take after the 60mg. Felt no difference on concentration and focus.”

Elle · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Not a good experience. My doctor wanted to try a non stimulant option for my ADHD first because she was nervous about my anxiety getting worse. This drug was NOT the answer. Stopped eating and sleeping after about 2 weeks, until I had a meltdown and sobbed in my boyfriend's arms for hours. She switched me to a low dose stimulant option and I tolerated it much better. It might be a life saver for some but it was horrible for me.”

Seatbelt · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This is my seventh time attempting the medication. I'm trying to do it right this time, no other choice. My experience has been to start at THE LOWEST DOSE... 10mg and stay on that for six to eight weeks before you increasing it. (10mg at a time) I usually expect and prepare for two weeks of awfulness in the way of side effects before things get better. I've learned to be VERY WARY of either nicotine or caffeine consumption with this medication. My experience with norepinephrine drugs like this is just a little bit of nicotine or caffeine sets off my anxiety and irritability. Helps me with psychosomatic pain along with cymbalta. Helps my anxiety. Increases alertness. Increases my focus but not nearly like amphetamine stimulants. Sexual side effects for me are not too serious. Orgasm as a male is irregular but I actually find it more pleasurable. I find it also useful not to combine much alcohol with the drug. Uppers with downers for me can be ugly.”

Betrbrkr · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2019

“65 Y.O. Male. Using to help with ADHD. Obsessive, history of addictions, alcohol problems, processes, etc. I cannot take many meds due to my profession. Mood generally stable on this drug, memory fine, no anger, but noticed a few difficult projects take longer, avoidance, etc. Sometimes I am hyper-focused. No Gastro issues, but noticed dizziness when standing quickly, slightly elevated pulse and BP and less firm erections and ejaculation issues. I took this years ago along with other meds. Used this for 90 days, inconclusive, took a 60 day break, now I have used it 60 days at a higher dosage. I think I will discontinue. It is expensive.”

Jen December 11, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Game changer for me. 60mg for ~3y. Not magic bullet, but without it I couldn't be self employed. I still lose days immobilized or where all I can do is a few emails, but compared to weeks of incapacity without it. Eg without meds I can sit for hours thinking: “I need to do the dishes [add mental distraction here & repeat]”. Now I can go from thought to action; just get up and do the dishes!! When I don’t take it negative self-talk starts in my mind, from how frustrating it is to not ever shift from thought to action. I can really tell the difference Advice: 1) REALLY important, titrate dosage up SLOWLY eg a few weeks or a month 20mg, same 40mg etc reduce any side effects. Don’t go too fast or start on full dose. 2) I can't take it til AFTER I eat enough and wait for my digestion to awake, or nausea. I can’t just take it WITH food on an empty stomach or even just AFTER Breakfast. So I eat oatmeal and take the pill later after midmorning snack. Otherwise I’d rate 10/10.”

Hannah · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’m only giving Strattera 2 stars instead of 1 because it worked for focus, but the side effects were horrible. The first day taking it, I felt great. I had enough energy to get through the day and I felt present and in the moment. Then the next day I started to feel really strange. I couldn’t sleep through the night. I was majorly wired. I started to not feel like myself. My head was completely empty. I felt like a zombie tbh. I didn’t find things funny and I started to lash out at people which I never do. By like day four, I lashed out at my dad and then I broke down. I cried and was becoming really depressed. When I went off of it, my imagination returned. It was kind of a scarring experience.”

Unorganized December 7, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Diagnosed age 46. Initially placed on med that works for son (methylphenidate - short acting 10mg) made me feel CRAZY - manic -like and my typical resting heart rate is 55 -on that it was 100, whoa uncomfortable. Psychiatrist switched me to Strattera 40mg x 1 mo. Side effects: sometimes morning nausea, intermittent dry mouth, mild constipation, took longer to orgasm, irritability. increased to 60mg x2 weeks then was supposed to go on 80mg. Insurance required a pre-auth so went off entirely for 1 month (gotta love US healthcare system!). Now last few days took 60mg a day for 2 days then 80mg a day for 2 days. Side effects: EXTREME nausea 1 hour after taking but was taking on empty stomach so will change that, dry mouth 1-2 times a day. Resting heart rate mid 60s. Haven’t tried sex yet, we’ll see. I am certain I am more focused. So far am happy w this. Worry a little about possible liver failure but that is very rare. Probably more chance of ending up in an accident from my inattention by NOT taking the pills.”

Stephanie · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 6, 2019

“I have been on this medicine for 5years now. I couldn't imagine my life without it. For people who are saying they got sick the first day and took 40mg the first day, needs to ask their doctor why they are starting them off on such a high dose. I started on maybe 10mg for a week then 25 then 40, then 60 then 80. It took almost a month to build up to 80mg. So I am not surprised that you got sick starting at such a high dosage For myself the medication not only redirects all my ADHD symptoms, but my personality disorder. I was flighty and could never hold a job previous to the medicine. Since it is a "build in your system" type medicine. You can not justify if it is actually working until over a month or two. I don't even physically know I am on it. I can just look behind me and see the accomplishments that are occurring because of it.”

Cem · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This drug probably damaged my liver just in 4 days. I am 75kg I was using 40mg. I can feel tenderness-pain right upper abdominal that I never had before. I feel drowsy, depressed, confused. I would never recommend this drug. Especially to kids.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “If you have interest in horrifying co-workers... This is the med for you. I took my 1st dose with a small meal at breakfast, within 30min I began to feel queasy, but brushed it off and headed to work. Within the hour - right in the middle of a meeting, I started turning green... Finally, I jumped up, made a mad dash to the bathroom, only to projectile vomit in my hands, on myself, and barely missed a coworker. I headed home, spent the next hour throwing up, slept another two & woke up tired, but fine.”

H November 19, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’ve been on Strattera for almost a year. I am a 23 year old female with ADHD. It took about two months to finally fully work, but when it did and I got over the side effects I loved it. You will experience some nausea and stomach pain in the beginning and sweating or feeling lightheaded if you don’t take it easy. I recommend eating lightly with it and make sure you drink water so your stomach acid isn’t going toe to toe with extended release. You may vomit if you don’t take it with a little food. Give it time. I focus easily now and my life has drastically improved. I’m getting my masters and work full time, and the medicine also regulates appetite and seems to raise the metabolism. Good luck!”

Parent of ADHD child · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 19, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This medication did not work at all for any ADHD symptoms. The only benefit of this medication, when it was used in conjunction with a real ADHD stimulant medication, was that it helped control the anxiety and tics that came along with using a stimulant. It only helped mildly, but it helped. No other benefits. She had to be weened off the medication as it is more of a mild antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication than an ADHD medication.”

OfficialADHDTeacher · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I give it a 7 out of 10 ”

JD November 11, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Background: I was diagnosed with ADHD in my 20s and was started out on strattera at 40mg now I'm at 80mg. Also take with food or you may feel nauseous. NOTE: THESE ARE MY OWN OBSERVATIONS, YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY VARY. Pros: - It gives me an insane amount of energy and direction. Drives me off the bed/couch to more constructive outlets. - It makes me hyperfocused at 80mg and decently focus at 40mg. - There is no crash like amphetamines. Cons: - Some mild sexual side effects that disappear over time. - Weight loss - lack of appetite (Pro if you struggle with your weight? - just make sure you eat!) - Zombie effect - I noticed some kind of dulling of my emotions. I.e my lows are not as low but my highs are not as high. - Cottonmouth/dry throat. I'm constantly drinking water. - Possible sleep disruption if you take it late in the day.”

Shazbut · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Had a stroke, resulted in ADHD. Stratterra has given me my life back. More like the old me.”

Flo · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 4, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I took Strattera along with other Bipolar meds. I started slowly losing weight. I'm already thin and didn't like losing weight. My hair became very thin and started breaking off. Then it started falling out. My anxiety was very high and I developed severe tremors in my legs when I walked. I didn't know it was the Strattera for a long time. I went to my primary care doctor and he said it could be the Strattera. I immediately stopped taking it. Within 2 weeks all my symptoms went away. I still have very light tremors occasionally. Be careful taking this medicine.”

Mature Adult October 31, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have always struggled at school with attention, disruption, hyperactivity and just generally focused. Into my teens much the same but more intensive. In trouble with the law, kicked out of high school. My parents struggled to control my impulsive behavior. Fast forward 25years I was finally diagnosed with ADHD. Strattera 40mg was prescribed to me straight away along with an antidepressant. I was hoping to start stimulant medication but I was recommended this non stimulant. I am currently taking 100mg for a period of about 8 week's and have found it to help a little with focus but has made me very impatient and irritable, mood swings. I find that my impulsive behavior is still there, I'm constantly looking to fill my day with some activity that gives me a rush of adrenaline or anxiety. I haven't tried stimulant medication so I'm curious as to the effects it might have on me. Overall I feel Strattera helps a little but I can't say definitively.”

Unknown but honest · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2019

“Caution atomoxetine: makes one act bizarre. If one's intent is to hijack logic and personal development please take. I found this medicine great for running for your life from large chemically induced lions and tigers day in and day out! Subsequently, I had my last straw when I began to have stressed induced eczema that won't go AWAY.”

P · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Was diagnosed with Aspergers after ADHD diagnosis. I'm a grown female, having experienced severe migraines at the back of my left skull 1st time taking the Strattera. Due to the colourings that are in these capsule, E numbers that cause AGGRESSION, anxiety and hyperactiveness. I felt suicidal over Christmas and no one would help. I was lucky I was used to adverse effects from all ADHD meds , worst decision l ever done starting on ADHD meds a year ago, for studying and it has broken my mind I have anxiety, depression, a severe black cloud envelops me. I force myself to wake up after taking sleeping pills, aware I must stop taking ANY and they did something to my emotions and I can't get better. Don't let your provider give you a cheap generic. I was allergic to the cheap fillers in generic ADHD meds, having an anaphylaxis shock at work. If you have anxiety, depression, on the autistic spectrum. Please, be careful”

Wolla · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Strattera is one of the best things to ever happen to me. I had struggled so much with binge eating disorder, and (I think mild-moderate) ADHD, and with Strattera it was like a miracle. I can read things and feel/act on hunger. I chose Strattera over a stimulant because I have anxiety/depression, so it didn’t help much with my skin picking impulses, but everything else has been great. I take 40mg daily, and after the first week of hot flashes and nausea, there’s been no side effects :)”