User Reviews for Atomoxetine to treat ADHD (Page 6)

Also known as: Strattera

Atomoxetine Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Atomoxetine

Anja · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2018

“Started at 40mg and eventually went to 100mg. No changes. May have made me tired. Useless as a medication for CYP2D gene carriers.”

Jose · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2018

“I started with 20mg which made me really sleepy and basically did nothing. Upped to 40mg and I thought I "felt" something, but there were no major changes. Upped the dose to 60mg for 2 months, I wasn't feeling sleepy anymore, but there were no major changes either. 80mg... nothing. I spent 3-4 months total trying out this stuff and few hundred bucks. Now I'm off the drug and I feel the SAME, the exact... same.”

Carolyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2018

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Tried it last year, it was great for my confidence, libido, and overall well being. It started to keep me up at night for at least a couple hours however, and I was experiencing painful nerve pain on my right calf muscle. I was also losing hair, which I attributed to another medication I was on. I started back up this year at a much lower dosage, and experienced the same leg pain and started to lose my hair again! Also strange that it treats ADHD however I had troubles reading a book. Had to quit due to these unfortunate, odd side effects.”

Elizjha February 20, 2018

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been taking this medication for about a week now for ADD at 40mg. I had nausea the first couple of days and slight headaches. I decided to take one day off from it, and I have had a migraine all day. Medicine can sort of help with focus especially for me since severely scatter brained and forgetful and definitely suppresses appetite.”

Taraabb December 30, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I've been on Strattera for 4 months so far. I had no luck in the beginning with this medication, no difference until he upped the dosage to 80 MG. The only bad thing is feeling nauseated, sluggish. Overall my focus is way better.”

Woman in her 30s · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I started it taking it when I had no motivation, was super depressed and suicidal. It helped me. I stopped having obsessive thoughts and gave the will to get up and so stuff. However that was just the first year, after that I lost perception of what life is like with our without the drug. the first 2 weeks I had headaches and horrible nausea.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Straterra made me feel like a zombie. It did not help me focus. I actually focused less. I was always incredibly exhausted and I was sleeping 16 hours a day.”

Avee December 8, 2017

“Over the past couple of years I have been exhibiting increasing symptoms of ADHD and anxiety, and after attempting to treat myself with some relief holistically (meditation, breathing exercises, and yoga), the symptoms were not going away and I decided to go to my doctor. I started taking Atomoxetine 18mg five weeks ago and noticed it was helping, but three weeks in it seemed to wear off. With direction from my doctor I doubled the dose (36mg) and it seems to be working again. I am able to focus better on tasks, have more mental clarity and can carry a conversation without distraction or interrupting. I had some headaches at first and had to limit my coffee intake. Not saying it will work for everyone, but it is working for me.”

YoMama7 November 24, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My 9 year old was diagnosed with ADHD with anxiety. The pediatrician wanted to try a non-stimulant in an effort to not exacerbate the anxiety. Made sense. However, this did NOT work for my daughter and in fact caused her to become an emotional wreck. She was constantly fighting with her sisters and having one meltdown after another. We kept letting this go thinking it was just her adjusting until one night she had a meltdown that was so terrifying and said that she wanted to die, she is worthless and an awful person. A 9 year old!! Never was she like that before! So, we called the doctor the next day, he took her off immediately and prescribed a stimulant medication, Concerta. What a miracle. It was like a fog lifted!”

Tina.be · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I was a happy but chaotic woman with ADHD. I am looking for a substitute for Ritalin because although it worked miracles for my lack of attention an organizing skills it eventually wore me out. My new neurologist suggested Strattera (80 mg/day ). At first it made me very tired. After a few weeks Strattera changed me into an emotional wreck. Crying every minute for no reason. I'm still in hospital. I'm so tired of trying something new and hoping it will make the fog in my head disappear. But we're back to square one. No more Strattera fore me...”

nursekayla September 2, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Worked great for ADHD! Did cause migraines to be more frequent and is expensive, but does do wonders for inattention.”

Willy_ August 25, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Started Strattera treatment two months ago and it has been amazing. I can focus like a normal person (25 years old, 82 kg), without the need of glancing at my phone every two minutes. I could even listen to people and not having the need of interrupting them as always. I had some side effects (dry mouth, if I wake up too fast I get dizzy, difficulties to pee sometimes, sometimes erections are difficult to keep) but I can live with them since they not always happen. I can have orgasms like normal and I sleep like a baby since I take it. Everything went better but honestly, like every drug for ADHD, it's better to make short pauses to evaluate whether you need to change or suspend the treatment. I really recommend it.”

Decisionsdecision#1 · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My daughter is 11 years old and she has been on 10mg of strattera for 28 days and has just jumped to 18mg. My concerns are the side effects. Skin rash, headaches and severe stomach cramps since going onto the higher dosage. Do I persist or take her off? Doctor wants me to persist but I am worried I am doing more harm. She battles to fall asleep taking pill at 6pm and in bed at 8:15pm. She cried every morning because she is tired. Should I be taking it in the morning?”

Slightly Mental · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I think this may be my third review of Strattera, I still give it a high rating because all in all it has done what it was supposed to do. I've had some bad migraines, while on it, and I've gone off it a few times, because I couldn't fill the script or felt like it wasn't working, but I have always come back to taking it in the past four years. My current dose is 25mg, and I also take Adderall, 10mg twice a day. If I had to describe Strattera, it is a great focus/ motivation medication, but it also ups the anxiety, and adderall seems to up it even more. My doctor really doesn't have another solution than to take ativan. Coffee makes Strattera worse, but sometimes it won't kick in without the morning coffee.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “For a little while it did make my ADHD feel better but all of a sudden extreme depression hit me and I was sleeping ALL of the time!”

Jenna4160 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I only took this for 4 weeks & most say it takes 4-6 weeks to work. Initial side effects-- extreme sedation & emotional flattening. I slept the first week anytime I wasn't actively engaged in something & even then I was groggy. That subsided a bit, but I remained very lethargic all day every day for the duration of the 4 weeks & as time went on, I felt more & more emotionally flat & lost all interest & motivation. It certainly completely cured my hyper-activity, but it never helped my focus one bit. It did, however, really help my fibro pain better than anything has, took away my panic attacks, & cut my general anxiety down greatly. Unfortunately, I can't continue to feel so flat, lethergic, anti-social & disinterested any longer.”

galopesalope · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “So I've been using Strattera 40-50-60mg since 8 months. The 50 and 60 mg dose got me very confused and I made a lot of mistakes at my job so I stopped and restart with 40 mg. At the beginning the most common side effects were: nausea, dry mouth, constipation and "sinus headache".. but it stopped after a couple of weeks. However, I started to get migraines (got 5 since I take strattera)... and I haven't got one for the last 6 years before (I'm 22 years old and I had a lot of migraines when I was 10-16 years old)... so I will stop taking the medicine. I also hurt my esophagus scphincter while vomiting cause of a migraine.. and now I have GERD. So even if it makes me feel very calm and I can eat and sleep, I think I'll be better without it.”

Shewolfff July 8, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My parents took me in for testing in 5th grade because of lacking in school, failing at best. A few years later in high school I went to my therapist for extreme anxiety and my PCP diagnosed me with ADHD. I was put on strattera at age 16. Worked amazing almost right away. My only side effects were extreme dry mouth for a few weeks and loss of appetite . I also lost about 20 pounds. Which I was pleased with because I've always struggled with being over weight. I was doing better in school. Being able to focus on papers and projects and for the first time even doing my homework and turning it in on time. My self confidence grew tremendously also. I made better eating choices and wasn't anxious. Now 25 and starting again! No side effects so far”

kewlies June 21, 2017

“I've been taking this med for about a week and just upped it to 80mg on my own after seeing that so many people seem to be taking 80mg. Prior to taking this medication (whenever I was mentally excited [running late, in an argument, stressed, etc]) I was having issues with involuntary muscle responses in my neck, which coupled with two degenerative discs in my neck, was making things very awful for me. So fast-forward to now, I find that these involuntary responses are less frequent and less prolonged in duration. I haven't experienced many side effects other than the difficulty urinating and the dry mouth. I'd recommend this medication for anyone to test-drive.”

Anonymous June 15, 2017

“I posted regarding my son's good experience, now for my own. After struggling with distraction all my life, which I thought was normal and many in my family are the same, I didn't get evaluated until after my son's experience. I was also evaluated and was started on Strattera. The first thing I noticed was feeling increased thirst, some constipation, loss of appetite. I lost about 5lbs the first month (yeah!) and found that I felt more "calm", less irritable and less flustered at work. I am a FNP in a busy office and I was more on task, less easily distracted on the medicine (80mg). Waiting for a new script, I was off for 2 weeks and the old symptoms came back, forgetfulness, fidgeting, on-edge. The med has been great for me!”

KaliBB May 20, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Started taking 60mg of this medicine for ADD & anxiety triggered my ADD. It took about a week to hit my system, while it helped somewhat with my ADD. It wasn't major. I was still forgetting things like crazy and was able to be side tract. It's been 13 days and I'm stopping it today. It has made me an emotional WRECK!!!! I've had CRAZY mood swings like seen in a damn horror movie. Yesterday, I woke up happy then saw puppy shit on the floor and I LOST IT. I was a crying wreck. It was so bad I laid on my floor and screamed tears! I've never been depressed insane. Couldn't find my shoes- crying screaming mess again. Left the laundry in the washer over night- another HUGE breakdown.”

Az.Andrew · Taken for 10 years or more May 16, 2017

“Was at my psychiatrists office today, and we discussed I have been on this medication for 11 years now! 80mg daily dose. This medication has been a game changer for me personally, in life in general. More focused in everything, in business and personal relationships. Being ADHD, obviously I have tendency to be high-strung, but overall I have learned skill set about my triggers, my dependency on other devices, etc. I'm less focused on self-centeredness, more open minded and clear thoughts and thinking. Looking back, not sure how I did it without this medication. My psychiatrist and I do talk about my world once off (I'm 50 years old) or if I decide to stop at some point. For years I struggled with the high costs, but found it online”

Mom of 11 y.o. boy · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This medication has worked great for my son! Family history of ADHD and possibly bi-polar. Recently noticed my son has been talking in his sleep. Nothing to worry about but just an obvious side effect. 2nd week in on 18 mg. This is the 2nd time we have tried the Strattera and it seems to be a very effective medication for focus and concentration, helping the anxiety and frustrations. He also has quite a long list of differences like dyslexia, ADHD and dyspraxia which contribute to a slight depression. The Strattera seems to help with everything including the impulsivity. Depression seems to fade and life goes on. Just wanted to make note for anyone that may be interested or taking this medication that talking in sleep is a side effect.”

Kvmr17 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 10, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I had such high hopes for this med to work out but it simply does not do it for me. I have suffered with ADD my entire life and after being over medicated on anti-depressants, bi-polar meds and anxiety meds my neurologist put me on this. I did not want to take another drug that could possibly become addictive however now that I have been on it for 8 months and get almost no relief I do plan on switching to something different. It may work for some but did not do well for me personally.”

Billybagels · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2017

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been on this med 4 days now. The first day I made the mistake of taking it night before bed, boy was that s mistake! Up all night really bad insomnia. Day 2 I took it in the afternoon when home from work at 2 pm. I curled up on lazy boy and did not want to move, ended passing out due to pure exhaustion, needless to say I did not get up till the next morning 15 hrs later. Day 3 about 1 hour after taking developed slight nausea and the feeling of extreme skin sensations like things crawling on me , but those do subside after about couple hours. On 40 mg and going to stick with it and ride it out for a few weeks to see is side effects lessen. Also on 450mg of Wellbutrin at the same time. I think it is working in a weird kind of way!!”