User Reviews for Atomoxetine

Also known as: Strattera

Atomoxetine has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 466 ratings on Drugs.com. 38% of those users who reviewed Atomoxetine reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Social Anxiety Disorder  Off-label 8.0
Depression  Off-label 7.0
ADHD   5.3
Summary of Atomoxetine reviews 5.3 466 reviews

Reviews for Atomoxetine

Caitycat2332 · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “Been on it for 4 days so far as well as venlafaxine for 2 and a bit years. The effect of strattera has been amazing. I don't need to take naps, I can focus, see all the colours in paintings and don't have a constant radio going in my brain which has been great but the down side is I can't sleep. I'm fine once I get to sleep but since starting it I've stayed up till 4-5 am and haven't felt tired even if I've been busy all day. Both of my meds are SNRI medication, I'm very sensitive to dosage and sometimes have paradoxal effects to medication so it could be any of these things. I do feel a lot calmer and like my brain isn't going so fast”

Ronan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 21, 2021

For ADHD: “DON'T GO TOO HIGH DOSAGE! Strattera made me feel really weird and spaced out and really dry nose and mouth, then we tried lowering the dosage significantly - to just 18 mg a day, and I am a male weighing almost 190 pounds! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now I feel alert and focused, lasts almost all day (feel ADHD symptoms coming back around 7-8pm) but by then I have finished most chores and duties at work and at home so that's fine by me. Side effects are much better (now they are tolerable). Tried methylphenidate (instant and slow release), dexamphetamine (instant and slow release), modafinil, bupropion, even Intuniv, and then Strattera again (which was the first I tried but @40-60mg) but Strattera has been by far the best of them all! If you've tried Strattera and didn't like it, try again with a lower dose!”

Leon · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I took 40mg and month later I started to hear voices”

Ramsay · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I started Strattera 1.5 weeks ago. I started to feel the effects after 4 days. The effects were not subtle. It makes completing tasks easier and I can flip the switch between focusing and not focusing with less effort. I imagine this is what it would feel like to be normal. I am also prescribed 60mg of Adderall which I haven't been taking since being on Strattera. Strattera so far is more effective for me than Adderall. I feel more alert and less tired. It is easier for me to sit down and focus and I get less distracted. The frustration I normally feel when I don't take Adderall that comes from procrastinating and not following through is gone. At my next appointment I will be moving my Adderall prescription down to 30mg. I wish I had been prescribed Strattera as a kid instead of Ritalin and Concerta. It would have been a better choice for growing up on an adhd medication and effected my personality less than stimulants.”

I Like Beans on Toast February 11, 2021

For ADHD: “I am an adult male with ADHD, generalised anxiety and Aspergers. I live in the UK where atomoxetine (brand name strattera) is a controlled medication. I found atomoxetine to be "friendly", ie no side effects. However I was on low doses, as high doses of any medication affect my mood. Over the course of several weeks, aspects of life that I've always struggled with improved: emotional maturity/control, concentration, memory, as if I had gained 40 IQ points. I still felt like myself, just more focused, intelligent and confident. I could look people in the eye, understand my emotions, hold a relationship and perform better at work. My anxiety and depression plummeted 90%. It also helped with managing my Aspergers. A note of caution, I needed support from good friends until I adapted to my new way of life. The changes it helps you to bring about are typically permanent, so even if you stop taking it, you can manage the worst of your returning symptoms.”

SA1994 February 11, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “After half a year on Strattera, there’ no denying it takes sometime to feel the overall benefit, and for me, it was a few months into taking it that I really started to feel the effectiveness and overcoming side effects- irritability/nightmares/mild GI discomfort etc. I started on 10mg, and am now on 50mg, although I reckon that might be a tad high as I found it remarkably beneficial at as low as 10mg. That being said though, I have found personally that whilst a good medicine, it does have its limits to what it can offer for ADHD. I find it has helped more with my accompanying Depression overall, and whilst still better than zero medication, I think I will now explore the first-line ADHD treatment- stimulant medication and see if there’s any I find useful. I could be wrong, maybe it is helping my ADHD in a different kind of way, but I won’t know for sure unless I try them all. Best of luck ! Hope it clicks for you!”

ICPJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “This medication did not really work for me at all. It gave me massive side effects such as worsened depression, as well as significantly reduced appetite. The benefits to ADHD were minimal, and are far inferior to that of stimulants. I would not recommend this as a first line treatment for ADHD, stimulants are just overall more effective and have less side effects.”

Bea · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 27, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “Strattera works great for me started on 18 mg feeling a lot calmer and more focused, no bad side affects. I took it in the morning and it made me tired so changed to taking it at night. I also take 5 mg of melatonin works better for me sleep good no diet issues 68 yr old female”

abc · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I tried strattera for roughly 14 months moving between 20-40-60-80mg. At 20mg I felt a bit better but that it wasn't helping enough. At 40-80mg the side effects of bad nausea, feeling very hot all over and then cold soon after, dizziness, loss of appetite, heavy doses of fatigue, problems with my sex life etc all hit hard on 8/10 or 9/10 days I took it. I will give a disclaimer I didn't take it some weekends but the lack of going to work and the deterrent of the side effects put it off. I didn't experience any increase in insomnia. Also people would be able to tell if I'd taken my tablet by how pale I'd turn within 10 minutes and how subdued I was. Recently switched to concerta to try and escape the side effects.”

Subie21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I’m a 26 year old female and I’ve been on 25 mg of Stratterra for 5 months so I feel that it’s safe to say this drug is SLOW. The results take a couple of weeks and they are not too noticeable day to day. The definite way I know it’s working is when I look back on the last couple of months and see what I’ve gotten done since then. I’m doing a lot better at my job with a lot less errors and my manager even told me to “keep doing what I’m doing you’ve made barely any mistakes in the past couple weeks”. I’ve been painting and making art a lot more consistently. Chores still suck and I procrastinate but I can actually follow through on tasks. Please give it a chance past the days of weird night sweats, sluggishness, and stomach discomfort. It can be worth it. It’s not dramatic it it’s enough to make a difference.”

Juicey J · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I am a 28 y/o female with the inattentive type ADHD. For a long time I was on 30mg of Adderall, and to say the least it ruined my life. After 5 years of being on that crappy drug, I wanted to try a non stimulant. My doctor prescribed me 40mg Strattera. At first the side effects were terrible. My mood swings were terrible, dizzy, sleepy, constipated, and loss of interest in sex. The side effects only lasted around 2 weeks...then came the good part. All these side effects subsided and I noticed how calm I was. Usually I'm on edge. I also noticed I'm more attentive to the things I need to take care of at home and work. And I enjoy sex more than I did before, and I'm sure this med has helped me become closer with my fiance again. If you are suffering with ADHD and don't like stimulants, please give this med a chance. It is well worth it!”

Stinkerbell · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2020

For ADHD: “I've been taking 50 mg of Strattera every morning for nearly a month. I feel like it's working (though I was warned that it could take up to 6 weeks for me to feel the effects). My impulsivity has been much easier to get under control, and I do feel a slight increase in my ability to pay attention. Only side effects I can think of are increased thirst (manageable) and a slight decrease in appetite (this far, also manageable).”

Lynn December 1, 2020

For ADHD: “I’ve been taking Strattera now for 4 weeks and I am happy with the effects. I was recently Dx w/ADHD. Well Strattera has changed my life! I can now focus (My brain isn’t a pin ball machine) like never before and my anxiety has decreased significantly! I feel so much more present! I haven’t notice any change in my mood. I did have some side effects in the first week or so. I was dizzy when I stood up, felt spacey, and I had zero appetite, but no nausea at all. I also noticed a decrease in my sex drive which freaked me out, but that returned after a 1 week 1/2. The only thing I am experiencing now is continued decrease in my appetite..not complaining. I am still only taking 25mg’s (super sensitive to meds) but that’s fine with me. It works great and less chance of side effects staying on a low dose. So I’m fortunate in that way. Note: it’s not a stimulate, so don’t expect energy. It has a more calming effect. Good Luck All!”

Hann · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2020

For ADHD: “I was on atomoxetine 25MG for 2 weeks and couldn’t take any longer. I am also on 25MG of LexaPro (over a year now).. so these two meds combined were horrible for me. The two weeks on atomoxetine I was SO TIRED, nothing felt real, my dreams are terrible and scary. The side effects were just not worth it for me so I just can't keep taking it. I just felt so lazy and like nothing matters lol not sure if I’m alone in these side effects but just wanted to share my experience.”

nepeta · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2020

For ADHD: “Does absolutely nothing for any of my ADHD symptoms, in fact it feels like it's even worse on Strattera. After being 2 years on Adderall with literally no problem at all, I had to go to a different clinic and they said they'd continue my dosage but instead gave me whatever this is.”

Mag November 4, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I've been on Strattera for about 2-2.5 months. Started at 40mg dose and am now on 100mg. Whenever I start or increase the dose I get side effect symptoms of bad headaches & heartburn. Dry mouth is pretty bad but I was on Wellbutrin for years and had dry mouth then too so I'm sort of used to it. I've been on my 100mg dose for 5 days and I'm feeling really shaky on it. I have also been quite tired throughout. It's almost like being jet-lagged for 2 months straight. I'm very much looking forward to something different. I have felt zero psych effects. No increased focus, memory, nothing. I think my doc simply wants to ensure we've given it our best shot before moving on to something else since I'm tolerating it ok. I'm 38 yr old female recently diagnosed ADHD inattentive.”

Furry_fox_115 · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

For ADHD: “My Mum got me atomoxetine again cos I started to get more hyper in school, when I'm in class I fidget and do all sorts of stuff. I'm getting told off by teachers even when I've told them my problem and it really annoys me that they're not helping at all. I'm on the 25mg and I just started today, they said when I got them it'll take a while to start working, it's been almost a month now and I'm still getting told off for being hyper as anything!!!”

Sunshine · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2020

For ADHD: “The first day of this medicine I could tell it helped so much. 18mg. I have tried at least 9 antidepressants and all made me feel awful. This medicine works for my type of ADHD. I am 58 and sad it took doctors so long to put me on correct meds! It is life change for me! We have to keep trying different meds and eat clean!”

TC · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

For ADHD: “Took 25mg atomoxetine for not even one week! They say it takes time to build up, well all I did was sleep. I had zero energy and I can see why people would lose weight on this medication, because I was to lazy to make something to eat, let alone eat it. It was a chore just to go to the bathroom. Every day felt like you just finished working 50 hours straight of work done shoveling in a mine.”

TT · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 16, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “Absolutely worthless.”

Shain · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I have been on Strattera for about 2 1/2 months now, my starting dose was 40mg. The first few days I had a burst of energy then after that I felt so tired. My doctor upped my dose to 80mg, I’m not as tired anymore but my insomnia is horrible. I have to take a sleeping pill every night and even with that I still wake up at 2am every night agitated and can’t stop moving. Also, the dry mouth is HORRIBLE. I will say I don’t have as much anxiety.”

MXL · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “I am 44F; have been on Strattera for 19 months. It took about 6-8 weeks to feel my best. After adjusting strengths, I eventually stayed on 60 mg. Focusing and memory is much better. Strattera is off label prescribed as an antidepressant. Instead of trying Cymbalta, I recently chose to increase Strattera to 80mg first. It's been one week and my mood seems a little better. I have been really tired; not so tired that I don't get anything done. Caffeine seems to increase my heart rate. I have noticed acne breakouts on my face, chest and back which did not occur with 60mg. Mostly on my face. I may be the exception. Strattera is worth a try if you don't want to try stimulants like Adderall. I wish you well on the arduous journey of finding the right med for you.”

Lwadz August 6, 2020

For Depression: “Shotgun Diagnosis off ADD/Depression/Anxiety depending on who you ask. Primary complaint is difficulty concentrating. Dopamine antagonist stimulants never helped and made me feel terrible. Wellbutrin made me feel terrible. Most antidepressants didn't help. Venlefaxine DID help but has horrible side effects. Strattera has worked very well for me in terms of ability to focus. The effects are nuanced but very real. I am planning on staying on it long term and upping dose to 60 mg.”

Shain · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: “Hello! Sharing my experience and hoping other people will comment things they had in comment with my experience. My Dr started me on 40mg of Strattera, first few days I had so much energy. I cleaned my house at 5am on my day off for no reason. About 2 weeks in I started to feel drowsy. Anxiety has decreased a bit, but I feel tired in the mornings when I take it. My doctor is now saying she wants to up my dose to 80mg and that it won’t make me tired. I started taking the 40mg at night and it not only makes me tired but makes me agitated and I can’t sleep.”

ouauto · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 24, 2020

For ADHD: “I was on this atomoxetine medication for 9 months for ADHD. It was a little helpful in regards to the length of my attention span versus baseline, but the side effects were too great to tolerate. Irrritability, (increased) depression and somnolence were some of the more significant side effects. Sexual problems were also worsened. Not a great drug, all in all.”