User Reviews for Atomoxetine

Also known as: Strattera

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Atomoxetine.

Depression
6.5

ADHD
5.4

Social Anxiety Disorder
4.5

Summary of Atomoxetine reviews 5.5 314 reviews

Reviews for Atomoxetine

For Depression: "Suffering headache fever and long sleep"

knnu (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "I was a happy but chaotic woman with ADHD. I am looking for a substitute for Ritalin because although it worked miracles for my lack of attention an organizing skills it eventually wore me out. My new neurologist suggested Strattera (80 mg/day ). At first it made me very tired. After a few weeks Strattera changed me into an emotional wreck. Crying every minute for no reason. I'm still in hospital. I'm so tired of trying something new and hoping it will make the fog in my head disappear. But we're back to square one. No more Strattera fore me..."

Tina.be (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Worked great for ADHD! Did cause migraines to be more frequent and is expensive, but does do wonders for inattention."

nursekayla September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I used Atomoxetine for depression, ADHD and uncontrollable thoughts. Started with 0.5 mg/kg of body weight for 3 months. Noticed very slight improvement and was thinking to stop. However I decided to increases the daily dose to 1.0 mg/kg of body weight divided in to two ( one morning and one early evening). After three days only I noticed real improvement and after two weeks I could not believe what happened as I got rid of my uncontrolled thoughts and very noticible improvement in ADHD and depression. Plan to continue for at least two months. Before Atomoxetine I was prescribed escitalopram among other drugs for depression/ uncontrollable bad thoughts that drained my energy for many years with no effect. I am 59 years old male"

FRZ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Started Strattera treatment two months ago and it has been amazing. I can focus like a normal person (25 years old, 82 kg), without the need of glancing at my phone every two minutes. I could even listen to people and not having the need of interrupting them as always. I had some side effects (dry mouth, if I wake up too fast I get dizzy, difficulties to pee sometimes, sometimes erections are difficult to keep) but I can live with them since they not always happen. I can have orgasms like normal and I sleep like a baby since I take it. Everything went better but honestly, like every drug for ADHD, it's better to make short pauses to evaluate whether you need to change or suspend the treatment. I really recommend it."

Willy_ August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "My daughter is 11 years old and she has been on 10mg of strattera for 28 days and has just jumped to 18mg. My concerns are the side effects. Skin rash, headaches and severe stomach cramps since going onto the higher dosage. Do I persist or take her off? Doctor wants me to persist but I am worried I am doing more harm. She battles to fall asleep taking pill at 6pm and in bed at 8:15pm. She cried every morning because she is tired. Should I be taking it in the morning?"

Decisionsdecision#1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "I think this may be my third review of Strattera, I still give it a high rating because all in all it has done what it was supposed to do. I've had some bad migraines, while on it, and I've gone off it a few times, because I couldn't fill the script or felt like it wasn't working, but I have always come back to taking it in the past four years. My current dose is 25mg, and I also take Adderall, 10mg twice a day. If I had to describe Strattera, it is a great focus/ motivation medication, but it also ups the anxiety, and adderall seems to up it even more. My doctor really doesn't have another solution than to take ativan. Coffee makes Strattera worse, but sometimes it won't kick in without the morning coffee."

Slightly Mental (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "For a little while it did make my ADHD feel better but all of a sudden extreme depression hit me and I was sleeping ALL of the time!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "I only took this for 4 weeks & most say it takes 4-6 weeks to work. Initial side effects-- extreme sedation & emotional flattening. I slept the first week anytime I wasn't actively engaged in something & even then I was groggy. That subsided a bit, but I remained very lethargic all day every day for the duration of the 4 weeks & as time went on, I felt more & more emotionally flat & lost all interest & motivation. It certainly completely cured my hyper-activity, but it never helped my focus one bit. It did, however, really help my fibro pain better than anything has, took away my panic attacks, & cut my general anxiety down greatly. Unfortunately, I can't continue to feel so flat, lethergic, anti-social & disinterested any longer."

Jenna4160 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "So I've been using Strattera 40-50-60mg since 8 months. The 50 and 60 mg dose got me very confused and I made a lot of mistakes at my job so I stopped and restart with 40 mg. At the beginning the most common side effects were: nausea, dry mouth, constipation and "sinus headache".. but it stopped after a couple of weeks. However, I started to get migraines (got 5 since I take strattera)... and I haven't got one for the last 6 years before (I'm 22 years old and I had a lot of migraines when I was 10-16 years old)... so I will stop taking the medicine. I also hurt my esophagus scphincter while vomiting cause of a migraine.. and now I have GERD. So even if it makes me feel very calm and I can eat and sleep, I think I'll be better without it."

galopesalope (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "My parents took me in for testing in 5th grade because of lacking in school, failing at best. A few years later in high school I went to my therapist for extreme anxiety and my PCP diagnosed me with ADHD. I was put on strattera at age 16. Worked amazing almost right away. My only side effects were extreme dry mouth for a few weeks and loss of appetite . I also lost about 20 pounds. Which I was pleased with because I've always struggled with being over weight. I was doing better in school. Being able to focus on papers and projects and for the first time even doing my homework and turning it in on time. My self confidence grew tremendously also. I made better eating choices and wasn't anxious. Now 25 and starting again! No side effects so far"

Shewolfff July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I've been taking this med for about a week and just upped it to 80mg on my own after seeing that so many people seem to be taking 80mg. Prior to taking this medication (whenever I was mentally excited [running late, in an argument, stressed, etc]) I was having issues with involuntary muscle responses in my neck, which coupled with two degenerative discs in my neck, was making things very awful for me. So fast-forward to now, I find that these involuntary responses are less frequent and less prolonged in duration. I haven't experienced many side effects other than the difficulty urinating and the dry mouth. I'd recommend this medication for anyone to test-drive."

kewlies June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I posted regarding my son's good experience, now for my own. After struggling with distraction all my life, which I thought was normal and many in my family are the same, I didn't get evaluated until after my son's experience. I was also evaluated and was started on Strattera. The first thing I noticed was feeling increased thirst, some constipation, loss of appetite. I lost about 5lbs the first month (yeah!) and found that I felt more "calm", less irritable and less flustered at work. I am a FNP in a busy office and I was more on task, less easily distracted on the medicine (80mg). Waiting for a new script, I was off for 2 weeks and the old symptoms came back, forgetfulness, fidgeting, on-edge. The med has been great for me!"

Anonymous June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Started taking 60mg of this medicine for ADD & anxiety triggered my ADD. It took about a week to hit my system, while it helped somewhat with my ADD. It wasn't major. I was still forgetting things like crazy and was able to be side tract. It's been 13 days and I'm stopping it today. It has made me an emotional WRECK!!!! I've had CRAZY mood swings like seen in a damn horror movie. Yesterday, I woke up happy then saw puppy shit on the floor and I LOST IT. I was a crying wreck. It was so bad I laid on my floor and screamed tears! I've never been depressed insane. Couldn't find my shoes- crying screaming mess again. Left the laundry in the washer over night- another HUGE breakdown."

KaliBB May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Was at my psychiatrists office today, and we discussed I have been on this medication for 11 years now! 80mg daily dose. This medication has been a game changer for me personally, in life in general. More focused in everything, in business and personal relationships. Being ADHD, obviously I have tendency to be high-strung, but overall I have learned skill set about my triggers, my dependency on other devices, etc. I'm less focused on self-centeredness, more open minded and clear thoughts and thinking. Looking back, not sure how I did it without this medication. My psychiatrist and I do talk about my world once off (I'm 50 years old) or if I decide to stop at some point. For years I struggled with the high costs, but found it online"

Az.Andrew (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "This medication has worked great for my son! Family history of ADHD and possibly bi-polar. Recently noticed my son has been talking in his sleep. Nothing to worry about but just an obvious side effect. 2nd week in on 18 mg. This is the 2nd time we have tried the Strattera and it seems to be a very effective medication for focus and concentration, helping the anxiety and frustrations. He also has quite a long list of differences like dyslexia, ADHD and dyspraxia which contribute to a slight depression. The Strattera seems to help with everything including the impulsivity. Depression seems to fade and life goes on. Just wanted to make note for anyone that may be interested or taking this medication that talking in sleep is a side effect."

Mom of 11 y.o. boy (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "I had such high hopes for this med to work out but it simply does not do it for me. I have suffered with ADD my entire life and after being over medicated on anti-depressants, bi-polar meds and anxiety meds my neurologist put me on this. I did not want to take another drug that could possibly become addictive however now that I have been on it for 8 months and get almost no relief I do plan on switching to something different. It may work for some but did not do well for me personally."

Kvmr17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "I have been on this med 4 days now. The first day I made the mistake of taking it night before bed, boy was that s mistake! Up all night really bad insomnia. Day 2 I took it in the afternoon when home from work at 2 pm. I curled up on lazy boy and did not want to move, ended passing out due to pure exhaustion, needless to say I did not get up till the next morning 15 hrs later. Day 3 about 1 hour after taking developed slight nausea and the feeling of extreme skin sensations like things crawling on me , but those do subside after about couple hours. On 40 mg and going to stick with it and ride it out for a few weeks to see is side effects lessen. Also on 450mg of Wellbutrin at the same time. I think it is working in a weird kind of way!!"

Billybagels (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "My nine year old son was put on this for impulsivity, lack of ability to pay attention and retain things at school, and to help the "spazzy" moments. At first he was a walking zombie so we gave it at night. Eventually he was able to switch to taking it in the morning as his body got used to it. But still he would crash as soon as he got home from school. He says the medicine makes it hard for him to sleep in anymore even though he's tired. He is less spazzy and can pay attention better. But I don't know what to do about the emotional roller coaster we get from him being so tired from it towards the late afternoon or evenings. He just seems too sedated. I want him to be able to focus. But not be blah. It seems like it took his happiness."

KF5 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "I took this med for ADHD with hopes of helping w/anxiety & depression. I had headaches right away and began lying in bed all day long. I wanted this to work so I stuck with it despite constipation, dry mouth/eyes and headaches. My mood was worsened and I had a flat affect. I didn't laugh for two weeks. It wasn't until I stopped taking it that I realized how depressed it had made me. Once out of my system, my libido also returned. Drugs change the brain chemistry and for some it works, for others it doesn't. Straterra is not for me."

favoritesister (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Strattera has changed my life, my relationships, and the way I feel about my self. This drug takes time to get into your system mine took about 2 months, with some uncomfortable side effects at first, but one you over come those this medicine truly works. The problem is most people just want to jump to the next drug. I feel like a normal human being I'm no longer extremely reactive, irritable, irrational, and emotionally all over. I have found to be emotional yet stable (I'm not just some zombie) I am not constantly making impulse decisions. I have improved my relationships with my family and friends and feel finally like my self and have control over my life. So great film and I hope many others find the same happiness. female 21"

H.A.S (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Absolutely a joke... gave me rage and did nothing for my ADHD symptoms. PASS!"

Impulsivi T. April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Strattera is a wonderful ADHD medication if you know how it works for you. For me it takes a solid 8 weeks before the full effect of the Medication kicks in to full potential. When it does. I have a superb memory through paying attention. My Dr. Increased it from 40mg when it worked well but not well enough. To 80mg. Then I had to restart the 8 weeks. Like the 40mg, I started noticing a difference in 5 weeks. After 6th week it's a perfect mix. Superb focus that seems to get better week after week. I'm glad I gave the Statterra a chance."

Swerve186 April 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Has helped me a lot with focusing and getting tasks done. I had some nausea during my first and second weeks. Taking it with food was helpful. Overall, it worked pretty well for me."

Johnny NY (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Strattera (atomoxetine) for ADHD: "Awful experience with this drug after taking it for 5 weeks. Started on 40mg for 4 weeks, then went to 80mg. Stopped using it after 1 week on 80mg. All adverse symptoms became much worse and no relief for ADD at all. Extreme tiredness, dizzy when sitting up, insomnia, intestinal pains and moderate burning during ejaculation. Was formerly using Adderall for 20 years which worked great, but because of a recent heart attack at age 50, my doctor recommended a change to Strattera. To me, this medication was just awful. The worst of the side effects were complete lethargy/sluggishness and insufferable insomnia. Now I will continue to look for another Adderall replacement or asking my doctor about possibly trying a lower Adderall dose."

HJ123 March 19, 2017