User Reviews for Atomoxetine to treat ADHD

Also known as: Strattera

Atomoxetine has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 471 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 36% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Atomoxetine Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Atomoxetine

Juicey J · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I am a 28 y/o female with the inattentive type ADHD. For a long time I was on 30mg of Adderall, and to say the least it ruined my life. After 5 years of being on that crappy drug, I wanted to try a non stimulant. My doctor prescribed me 40mg Strattera. At first the side effects were terrible. My mood swings were terrible, dizzy, sleepy, constipated, and loss of interest in sex. The side effects only lasted around 2 weeks...then came the good part. All these side effects subsided and I noticed how calm I was. Usually I'm on edge. I also noticed I'm more attentive to the things I need to take care of at home and work. And I enjoy sex more than I did before, and I'm sure this med has helped me become closer with my fiance again. If you are suffering with ADHD and don't like stimulants, please give this med a chance. It is well worth it!”

EstefanoPPT · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I'm a 31 years old male. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder comorbid with ADHD. My doctor's hence refused to give me stimulants, so they offered Strattera and it worked like magic on the first day. No side effects. I feel more alert, more energized, and can continue to focus even during boring tasks. The real benefits are supposed appear after 4 weeks. If after 4 weeks Strattera really does improve more my ability to concentrate and my motivation even more, I would be really impressed. I will be updating this review as the time goes.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This Strattera is the best ADHD medication I've had so far. It takes a LONG time to kick in. I was supposed to feel the full effects a month into taking it, but I didn't get them for maybe 2-3 months. However, it was worth it for me. Instead of just giving me energy and turning me into an emotionless robot like stimulants, it reworked my brain. My whole brain functions better now. I don't procrastinate, and I can pay attention and work better. I have branched out into different hobbies because it gives you motivation. This is in effect 24/7 because it doesn't leave your system or wear off like stimulants. Now, the side effects. I still zone out and dissociate. There is a decrease in appetite (not as bad as the stimulant in that area, though). I have vivid dreams/nightmares. I feel tired often, and nap a lot. Also, I feel more depressed in general. None of these side effects are very severe, but they can be difficult at times. However, I really do recommend giving Strattera a good chance.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I'm a 26 year old AFAB (assigned female at birth) person and I never thought I had ADHD until very recently. My spouse was diagnosed with hyperactive ADHD and while we were researching it, I realized all the symptoms for inattentive ADHD matched me. I mentioned it to my psych and after some tests he diagnosed me with ADHD and put me on Strattera. It didn't kick in until week 4 for me, and up to that point, I had an upset stomach for about 30 minutes every morning right after I took the pill. But the nausea went away and I began realizing that suddenly everything was so much EASIER to do. I started to notice how much time I was saving at work and doing household labor because I no longer got distracted or had to hype myself up for an hour before doing a basic task. I just would think "I should do this thing" and then immediately take care of it.”

Subie21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’m a 26 year old female and I’ve been on 25 mg of Stratterra for 5 months so I feel that it’s safe to say this drug is SLOW. The results take a couple of weeks and they are not too noticeable day to day. The definite way I know it’s working is when I look back on the last couple of months and see what I’ve gotten done since then. I’m doing a lot better at my job with a lot less errors and my manager even told me to “keep doing what I’m doing you’ve made barely any mistakes in the past couple weeks”. I’ve been painting and making art a lot more consistently. Chores still suck and I procrastinate but I can actually follow through on tasks. Please give it a chance past the days of weird night sweats, sluggishness, and stomach discomfort. It can be worth it. It’s not dramatic it it’s enough to make a difference.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I am on Strattera 40 mg once a day for one week, then twice a day (80mg) after. I'm 33 years old. Never been treated for ADHD before now. I have terrible anxiety among other things. Today is day three on Strattera. I feel drunk when I take it. I don't like alcohol normally. But this feels like I drank too much. The first few hours are difficult. My chest feels heavy and my body is tingling. I have constant goosebumps. I don't think it's supposed to be like this. And advice??”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “After 10+ years of unsuccessful psychotropic medications for various misdiagnoses and 11 years of therapy, my brain is quiet. At one point I was worried it wasn't working, but then realized I was only bored because I had actually finished all my tasks. l upped the dosage VERY slowly (over months) and have not had noticeable side effects other than nausea, which doesn't even occur if I eat beforehand. I recommend therapy on top of meds and sticking with it for months to give it a chance to work- finally having enough time to start living and not just surviving/the realization of what normal is can be an overwhelming process. Best of luck to you all!”

MXL · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I am 44F; have been on Strattera for 19 months. It took about 6-8 weeks to feel my best. After adjusting strengths, I eventually stayed on 60 mg. Focusing and memory is much better. Strattera is off label prescribed as an antidepressant. Instead of trying Cymbalta, I recently chose to increase Strattera to 80mg first. It's been one week and my mood seems a little better. I have been really tired; not so tired that I don't get anything done. Caffeine seems to increase my heart rate. I have noticed acne breakouts on my face, chest and back which did not occur with 60mg. Mostly on my face. I may be the exception. Strattera is worth a try if you don't want to try stimulants like Adderall. I wish you well on the arduous journey of finding the right med for you.”

Lizard · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been taking strattera 40 mg for a couple months now and so far so good. The main thing that I have noticed is how much calmer and less restless I am. I am not as easily irritated, I've been sleeping better, I talk slower, I interrupt less, I fidget less. My cravings for salty, sugary, greasy foods has also decreased substantially, and I am more inclined to eat healthy and more nutritious or filling food. I have not noticed many effects on my attention span, so even though my body has slowed down my mind still feels like it is zooming right along. For this I have been re-prescribed a low dose of vyvanse at 10 mg to take every so often (I took 40mg vyvanse for a few years prior to starting strattera). I am also on 150 mg of Wellbutrin.”

H November 19, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’ve been on Strattera for almost a year. I am a 23 year old female with ADHD. It took about two months to finally fully work, but when it did and I got over the side effects I loved it. You will experience some nausea and stomach pain in the beginning and sweating or feeling lightheaded if you don’t take it easy. I recommend eating lightly with it and make sure you drink water so your stomach acid isn’t going toe to toe with extended release. You may vomit if you don’t take it with a little food. Give it time. I focus easily now and my life has drastically improved. I’m getting my masters and work full time, and the medicine also regulates appetite and seems to raise the metabolism. Good luck!”

Jen December 11, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Game changer for me. 60mg for ~3y. Not magic bullet, but without it I couldn't be self employed. I still lose days immobilized or where all I can do is a few emails, but compared to weeks of incapacity without it. Eg without meds I can sit for hours thinking: “I need to do the dishes [add mental distraction here & repeat]”. Now I can go from thought to action; just get up and do the dishes!! When I don’t take it negative self-talk starts in my mind, from how frustrating it is to not ever shift from thought to action. I can really tell the difference Advice: 1) REALLY important, titrate dosage up SLOWLY eg a few weeks or a month 20mg, same 40mg etc reduce any side effects. Don’t go too fast or start on full dose. 2) I can't take it til AFTER I eat enough and wait for my digestion to awake, or nausea. I can’t just take it WITH food on an empty stomach or even just AFTER Breakfast. So I eat oatmeal and take the pill later after midmorning snack. Otherwise I’d rate 10/10.”

Ramsay · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I started Strattera 1.5 weeks ago. I started to feel the effects after 4 days. The effects were not subtle. It makes completing tasks easier and I can flip the switch between focusing and not focusing with less effort. I imagine this is what it would feel like to be normal. I am also prescribed 60mg of Adderall which I haven't been taking since being on Strattera. Strattera so far is more effective for me than Adderall. I feel more alert and less tired. It is easier for me to sit down and focus and I get less distracted. The frustration I normally feel when I don't take Adderall that comes from procrastinating and not following through is gone. At my next appointment I will be moving my Adderall prescription down to 30mg. I wish I had been prescribed Strattera as a kid instead of Ritalin and Concerta. It would have been a better choice for growing up on an adhd medication and effected my personality less than stimulants.”

BT August 5, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Do not let negative online reviews and personal anecdotes prevent you from trying Strattera if suggested by your doctor! Side effects: at first, I had some nausea, alleviated by taking after food. Now, after seven weeks, I take it at bedtime and have no side effects. I can already notice a real difference! I tried Strattera last year but only took it sporadically for a few weeks, not giving it a chance to build up to a steady state and take effect. This time, I have not missed a dose, and I am now at the full dosage for me (100mg). In the past, I was prescribed Adderall. I was concerned that Strattera would not work for me, because I had already experienced the rush of the onset of a stimulant medication. Adderall also affected my emotions/behavior in negative ways. Strattera is an entirely different experience. Even when I do not notice its benefits in the moment, I can look back at my day or week and see the difference in my attention/focus.”

ed · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2021

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Hi I’m a 28yr male. I’ve have had ADHD since my childhood without hyperactivity. I tried concerta, ritalin, and other psychostimulants - it was a disaster I felt like a drugged zombie. After a while without using any medication I wanted to try Stratterra to boost my productivity. Everything got worse since I started using it. It’s been 2 months now. I lost interest in everything and became severely depressed. I’ve had trouble sleeping. Social interactions became weird. I started turning inward and feel shy all the time. So I stopped seeing people for a while thinking it would pass. It didn’t. Ever since it’s been downhill, my libido is at a dead point, my relationship with my girlfriend took a big hit, I lost my job, and things I use to enjoy seem to make me feel indifferent now. The only positive thing is I’m less hungry now, I feel less tired during the day and I am a bit more focused while working. Otherwise it’s been a nightmare. I stopped the treatment today.”

Mother of a Middle Schooler · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Our daughter started taking this medication in October for ADD after failing school. After a month, we noticed a huge change in her ability to focus and obtain excellent grades. She was finishing her work in class and doing extremely well compared to before Strattera. She just made honor roll and never fights or complains about school work anymore. Our only concern, is that we’ve noticed our 11 yr old loosing weight. She is skin and bones and has dropped a clothing size. She says that food isn’t good anymore and has to basically force feed herself. I’m afraid we may have to stop the medication if this doesn’t improve, which is unfortunate because it has so many great benefits and has changed our lives.”

Obsessivelycurious · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2014

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Nothing would quite fix me. Not antidepressants, or therapy or Adderall. Depressed all the time, screaming on the inside. Had days I literally could not do anything. Unfocused at work, hated my job, life and wife. Changed psych doctors, prescribed Strattera, titrated more slowly than sample pack, got up to 60 mg. Way happier. Less sensitive - don't get hurt easily. Take criticism better. Wife notices big difference in mood- always thought it was depression. It's ADD and Strattera is perfect for it. Just hope it keeps working!”

CollegeGal December 3, 2014

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I had taken Adderall, Concerta and other ADHD medications which all caused me to lose my appetite, get moody or come down from it and I felt I wasn't able to be myself. Strattera took a few weeks to kick in, I fell asleep constantly for the first two-four weeks (I know lots of people jump the Strattera ship then saying it is not working or making them sleepy) but after 4 weeks I started to feel like myself again. Except my mind got clearer, I could organize my room/now apartment, do all my school work, do everything I need to do, have better conversations and do not binge eat. I take 40mg and have had no side effects from it. It also helps my anxiety. It is my miracle.”

Philip V. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’m 18 years old, suffering from chronic depersonalization/derealization disorder (DPDR) and ADD. I was really thankful when I finally found out, that I have ADD. It explained every aspect of my life that I, my friends and my family couldn’t understand (you all know what I’m talking about). So I started using Strattera. On 10 mg, I didn’t feel anything. On 25mg I started having some problems with insomnia and little bit of anxiety. On 40mg I finally got to know, what real anxiety is. Staying up ‘till 3 am, sitting on my bed with racing thoughts, fast heart beat and high blood pressure. Being sure, that I have Schizophrenia and that I’m going to loose control of my brain. Waking up a few times per night, sometimes with hypnagogic hallucinations and feeling like a total trash throughout the next day. Also wasn’t feeling any relieve from ADD and my DPDR got significantly worse, ‘cause of all the anxiety.. Can’t blame the drug, every brain is different. I hope It will work for you. ;)”

G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Strattera wonderful alternative to stimulants. While unmedicated, I would consistently have brain fog and I would never be able to focus. I would frequently have to ask others to repeat themselves as I would always drift off mid sentence. I never experienced hyperactivity. Every stimulant medication I tried (Adderall, IR Ritalin, concerta) all resulted in anxiety, and loss of personality. With strattera I feel as if the fog has cleared, while also maintaining my regular self- the most “normal” I’ve ever felt. I’m currently on 80 mg a day weighing 175 lbs. It took my body roughly 5 weeks to become fully adjusted to the medication and receive the full benefits. Just make sure to always take this medication on a full stomach or you’ll probably experience some nausea. Also, the first couple weeks I felt a little more agitated than usual, but this passed after the first few weeks. Give this medication a chance, especially if stimulants give you anxiety!”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I have been on Stattera for about 6- 7 years now! I had developed a viral infection which developed disability in my legs, arms, and most of all my brain. It can have some bad side effects. The best I have experienced from this prescription is that's it's a very great pill ! It can help you focus more, relax, and controls up and down mood swings. When I need to focus or calm my anxiety down I can use this medication. I have been on this medication for about 8 years now and I'm 21 going on 22! A very great medication!”

Anonymous November 27, 2008

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I'm a 32 year old male and have had symptoms of ADHD all my life, but chose not to treat it because the types of medications available seemed to 'take something away' from my personality. I finally reached a point that my wife begged me to do something, so I started with Strattera due to my doctor's recommendation. I've been on 40mg for 2 months now, and notice a major difference. I now have a desire to get on the floor and play with the kids, whereas before it seemed tedious and boring. I find that I'm not as tired at the end of the day/week because my thoughts are not distracted, by all the 'noise' that I seem to have from the ADHD. I'm still new to the drug, and things could change, but for now, I am really happy.”

Mikey · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 11, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “It does work. But, give it two or 3 weeks. You will feel weird in the beginning and a little nauseous. It goes away. I do feel like I concentrate better and focus longer. Be careful with caffeine! It makes caffeine much stronger and last longer. After a few months while on it I get very irritable and tense. I need a break and let it wash out. No problems stopping cold turkey. Take 80mg a day. Overall, its good. Not perfect tho. Orgasms seem delayed for some reason and slightly less of a sex drive. No changes in weight.”

Shain · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Hello! Sharing my experience and hoping other people will comment things they had in comment with my experience. My Dr started me on 40mg of Strattera, first few days I had so much energy. I cleaned my house at 5am on my day off for no reason. About 2 weeks in I started to feel drowsy. Anxiety has decreased a bit, but I feel tired in the mornings when I take it. My doctor is now saying she wants to up my dose to 80mg and that it won’t make me tired. I started taking the 40mg at night and it not only makes me tired but makes me agitated and I can’t sleep.”

Barb · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I am 55 years old and, I have been taking 40 mg of Strattera a day for 2 weeks now, but I haven't noticed any changes or that it has helped in any way. I took 20 mg of Concerta/Ritalin when I was younger, and it always helped me within an hour of dosing. I read that it may take longer like 3 to 6 weeks to help me with my ADHD. I am going to continue taking it for 6 weeks and see what happens. Does anyone else have any experience to share?”

Mag November 4, 2020

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I've been on Strattera for about 2-2.5 months. Started at 40mg dose and am now on 100mg. Whenever I start or increase the dose I get side effect symptoms of bad headaches & heartburn. Dry mouth is pretty bad but I was on Wellbutrin for years and had dry mouth then too so I'm sort of used to it. I've been on my 100mg dose for 5 days and I'm feeling really shaky on it. I have also been quite tired throughout. It's almost like being jet-lagged for 2 months straight. I'm very much looking forward to something different. I have felt zero psych effects. No increased focus, memory, nothing. I think my doc simply wants to ensure we've given it our best shot before moving on to something else since I'm tolerating it ok. I'm 38 yr old female recently diagnosed ADHD inattentive.”