User Reviews for Atomoxetine to treat ADHD (Page 3)

Also known as: Strattera

Atomoxetine Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Atomoxetine

Yeet · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Been few months now and the only side-effects I've had are drowsiness (went away after the first few days) and one really awkward effect I noted is that my penis doesn't seem to want to work. It's as if stuck in "cold" mode and lost some sense to it (peeing is harder). Also blood pressure is higher, I can feel it, but I don't think it'll really affect me that much.”

DDBMD · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I started taking Strattera three weeks ago and it has been awful. I started taking this because I had too many negative side effects wit the stimulants. Strattera made gave me mood swings usually leaving me feeling depressed, anxious, annoyed, angry, etc. It also suppressed my appetite which kept me from eating. It made me feel lethargic during the day which kept me in bed and awake at night which caused severe depression. I noticed no improvement in my ADHD symptoms. I have stopped taking Strattera.”

Walker · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I was on clonidine (non stimulant) at night for ADHD. I could not take stimulants anymore because I have a very overactive brain. Clonidine worked fine but I wanted to try out strattera. I am not sure why they say strattera is a non stimulant because it caused me to have such bad anxiety! It really has a stimulant effect to it. I felt like it was worse than actual stimulants!”

JayH September 27, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’m a veteran and just got out of the military the past year, so I’ve been having troubles focusing on school. So my civilian doctor Put me on Straterra 40mg right off the bat, and have been on it for at least 3 weeks now. The common side effects were nausea, cottonmouth, increased Resting/active heart rate, loss of weight, decreased appetite. However I do have less impulses and can focus more in school. But I sweat a shit ton after walking a couple flights of stairs or walking fast, and my heart rate goes from 70 to 122 every time. Recently had my first panic attack, so far I’ve had 3 panic attacks since I’ve been on this. Coming from the military I was able to do anything, and My first panic attack was me sitting in class just listening to the professor. For no reason it happened. It’s not pleasant. I also feel my body temperature is a lot hotter now, and my kidney feels like it’s there is a ball there. I’m also on 300mg of bupropion.”

kellymcnamara1994 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “(female, 25 yrs old) It's hard for me to say if Strattera is the reason I feel calm and focused, because I am on a lot of other medications for other diagnoses (depression/bipolar, OCD, anxiety). However, since starting Strattera I HAVE noticed a difference, a subtle difference. I was previously on Vyvanse, which also made a subtle difference, but it caused too much anxiety. I noticed I've been interrupting others less and feeling more focused in conversations and at work. So I say give it a try, especially if stimulants give you anxiety.”

Guinea · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I’ve been on very low dose 25 mg Strattera for one month and haven’t noticed any results yet. I’m taking it for ADHD and depression. My practitioner will increase to 50mg or higher after three months. No major side effects except very dry sinuses. I prefer Vyvance but had high blood pressure. I’m optimistic this will work. I take Ondansetron for the nausea which works like a charm.”

Charliebrown · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 15, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I remember my very first day on Strattera, I vomited. It made me nauseous for weeks. If you are having side effects then I'd recommend taking this before going to sleep, you'll basically sleep through all the side effects. On strattera my memory has gotten better, I can focus more, I feel calmer when doing complicated tasks, I'm not so impulsive, and my appetite has reduced. It's not like the stimulants, it's more subtle and steady. I still have side effects, I get very tired, I'll get heart palpitations, and sometimes I get hot flashes. I now take this in the morning ALWAYS with food, otherwise I get nauseous. Strattera has helped but the stimulates made me focus 100x more, but unfortunately adderall gives me severe side effects (paranoia, depression) and ritalin didn't do anything. I also take pristiq for depression and anxiety. Please give Strattera a chance, like all medications they work differently on different people, so please don't dismiss this because others might not have liked it.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Medication is soo suboptimal works for a week or two then gets less and less effective everyday”

nickname1234 September 7, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I was put on 40mg of Strattera right after being diagnosed with ADHD. The first couple days, I had a lot of nausea, dry mouth, and fatigue, but I knew to expect this, and tried to power through. After a week, however, I started feeling super irritable, which is not normal for me. I'm typically an even-keeled, patient person most of the time. Then, last night, I started uncontrollably crying and thinking terrible, awful things about myself that I have never thought before. . My partner said, "That's the worst I've ever seen you." I didn't take it today (I refuse to take that ever again) and after a week on it, I feel lifeless. Like a zombie. Like my personality, my thought life, my ability to function is just not there. I assume this will get better after a bit more time, but it's scary to think that all that can change in one week.”

Zira · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Kept me from sleeping deeply enough to be restorative, ended up getting severely ill due to lack of rest.”

LucyT · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 14, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I want to start out by saying that I have nothing against this medication. Some people thrive on it, and I wish I was one of them. However, it does not seem to be for me. I have been on this medication for 3 months, and I have not really experienced what I wanted to on it. I take 40 mg a day, early morning, for ADHD, and thought it would help me focus, and be more productive. Instead, it seems to have just made me lethargic and exhausted most of the day. sometimes just wanting to sleep, instead of anything else. I do feel a little more focused in general, but not in the areas I need to be, like during work. I also started sweating... a LOT! I sweat buckets while on this medication, and I constantly feel hot, even when nobody else does. It can be rather debilitating. I already take a diuretic, so I am sure that this is not beneficial for me at all. My mind does seem calmer, but I don't know if it is worth it for me if these are the side effects.”

BuckshotMcLaren · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2019

“I found it helped with impulse control and dealing with normally anxious situations and processing information (after 6 weeks), but I couldn't take the side effects which were stronger than the gains. Massive constipation - consistently stuck with a very high-fiber diet with lots of water and still couldn't couldn't beat it. Caused dysfunctional erections where ejaculate came early/unexpected and watery. Felt like my blood pressure was through the roof about 2 hours after taking it each day. All side-effects stopped within one day of stopping medication.”

Silverback · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Just started my second week on Strattera increased the dose as per my Psychiatrists instructions to 50 mg's. I have not noticed any side effects or any gains, which is to be expected, and will be increasing the dose to 75 mg's next week before a psychiatric review a week after that. Will keep you all updated on my journey. My son who has also been diagnosed with ADHD is on 30 mg's of Ritalin. Please remember with these reviews that we all different which is why there are a number of ADHD treatments. What works for me may not work for you.”

BT August 5, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Do not let negative online reviews and personal anecdotes prevent you from trying Strattera if suggested by your doctor! Side effects: at first, I had some nausea, alleviated by taking after food. Now, after seven weeks, I take it at bedtime and have no side effects. I can already notice a real difference! I tried Strattera last year but only took it sporadically for a few weeks, not giving it a chance to build up to a steady state and take effect. This time, I have not missed a dose, and I am now at the full dosage for me (100mg). In the past, I was prescribed Adderall. I was concerned that Strattera would not work for me, because I had already experienced the rush of the onset of a stimulant medication. Adderall also affected my emotions/behavior in negative ways. Strattera is an entirely different experience. Even when I do not notice its benefits in the moment, I can look back at my day or week and see the difference in my attention/focus.”

Mm · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Took 60mg strattera as prescribed for 4 months. Stomach pains & headaches we're endless. There was zero improvement for ADHD. This RX did cause frequent dreaming during sleep, to which I can say was it's only benefit to me.”

G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Strattera wonderful alternative to stimulants. While unmedicated, I would consistently have brain fog and I would never be able to focus. I would frequently have to ask others to repeat themselves as I would always drift off mid sentence. I never experienced hyperactivity. Every stimulant medication I tried (Adderall, IR Ritalin, concerta) all resulted in anxiety, and loss of personality. With strattera I feel as if the fog has cleared, while also maintaining my regular self- the most “normal” I’ve ever felt. I’m currently on 80 mg a day weighing 175 lbs. It took my body roughly 5 weeks to become fully adjusted to the medication and receive the full benefits. Just make sure to always take this medication on a full stomach or you’ll probably experience some nausea. Also, the first couple weeks I felt a little more agitated than usual, but this passed after the first few weeks. Give this medication a chance, especially if stimulants give you anxiety!”

MF July 14, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “After no luck with stimulants, my psych prescribed Strattera. Started at 40mg for a week then moved up to 80mg. I didn't have any side effects at 40mg but 80 mg was awful. First was the unbearable nausea. I started feeling sick an hour or so after my dose and vomited about 1/3 of the time. I was finally able to combat the nausea with high protein, high carb, low sugar breakfasts. About a month in, I realized that I had literally no desire to leave the house. At about 7-8 weeks, it finally kicked in full-force, coinciding with my husband being out of town for work. I found myself irritable, sad, and lethargic. He was having a good time on his trip and it just made me more and more upset. I struggled to not lash out. I felt like a moody teenager again. I did have moments where I felt more "together" - I feel like I was able to do a better job making myself stay on task when I started to get distracted. But that tiny improvement wasn't worth the emotional and physical side effects.”

Katie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 7, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “My boyfriend has been on and off this medication for the last 10 months. He gets crazy anxiety when he's been taking it consistently for over two weeks, and has really bad tummy aches. He loses his personality, and becomes emotionless. It's one of the hardest things to know he needs it to to be able to properly do work at his 9-5 job, but it's so sad to lose his personality that I love.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I don't know what I would do without this miracle drug (Strattera).”

Do NOT use your real name · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2019

“I took Atomoxetine for about two months and the only changes I noticed were: Very high blood pressure readings for the whole time I was taking it (I usually have low to normal blood pressure and the readings I was getting were in the 130-150’s) Extremely tiredness, I took naps all day I felt angry fairly often. I did take a Teva generic, so maybe that plays something into it but seeing as many people here who don’t respond to this drug have similar experiences I doubt the generic made any real difference. If stimulants don’t work for you, then try it, but I don’t think this drug has very much of a success rate.”

Dam · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “This medication had my son hallucinating After about 3 months on it. The doctor took him off of ASAP”

Listentoyrbody June 26, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I tried it for a second time out of desperation because they don’t want to give me adderal. This medication mellows me out so much I just want to stay in bed all the time. So not worth the nausea. I can read again which is a plus, but just not worth it. It gives icky feeling doesn’t go away. Feels like pregnancy morning sickness I had to buy a pregnancy test just to be sure. Just say no to this drug.”

Jen · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I went on 40mg of Strattera about three months after my psychiatrist left the office. I had been on 40mg of Adderall for two years under his care. After meeting with my new “ Nurse Practitioner”, I was told that no more scripts for Adderall would be written unless you were tested for ADD. My son had been diagnosed with disorder since he was five. I scheduled the exam and in the process of jumping thru the many hoops required to get my meds back. The Strattera was working fairly well. I did find myself sleeping a lot more during the day, but about six weeks into the regimen, my hair started falling out in clumps. I went and had my thyroid checked but it was normal. And as the weeks went by, the hair loss became more and more prevalent. Finally after three months into my dosage after racking my brain to see what I had done differently or changed up in my routine and I realized it was the Strattera. Meanwhile I have a balding spot in my crown and I am confused as to what to do...”

HoustonAstrosFan · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “I was finally diagnosed 3 years ago at the age of 45. After trying stimulants and stopping them due to the side effects, being agitation, sleeplessness, crashes, chest pains on heart side, etc..., I was then prescribed Straterra. Unfortunately, Straterra's side effects were absolutely horrible. I was advised that the side effects would subside after 3 to 4 weeks. Well after 3 to 4 weeks, those horrible the side effects did suddenly stop, but then I had unbearable anxiety. Next I'll be trying Wellburtrin or Effexor, the next line medication that may help with my ADHD, although probably not as effective as the medications mentioned above. Very frustrating, but not giving up. I keep praying for some relief :)”

Gmaboss · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2019

Strattera (atomoxetine): “Switched from Adderall to Strattera for my grandson. The change is amazing without the weight loss side effects. So happy with the change.”