User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Schizophrenia 27 reviews 42 medications

7.8
Bipolar Disorder 180 reviews 29 medications

7.4
Summary of Saphris reviews 207 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Saphris

For Schizophrenia "I've been on this medicine for about 6-9 months and its a wonderful drug. No more paranoid thoughts or delusions. I'm on the max dose which is 20 mg. It made me sleep for 12-14 hours a night at first but not anymore."

Shelbee33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "After trying several meds, which helped, I was introduced to Saphris @ 10mg/day. I experienced periods debilitating drowsiness, so decreased to 5mg. Problem disappeared. Mentally, emotionally I feel almost normal. Mood swings are slight, handleable. I like Saphris."

Mitch65 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "After 15 years of trying different meds, this is the first one to give me a positive change. I used to be suicidal everyday & had a hard time leaving the house. Everything was overwhelming. Since starting Saphris my mind finally feels like it has "brakes" and my thoughts feel lighter. I'm feeling true happiness, even happy to wake up. Little to no side effects 3 months in. I take it at night because it does make me sleepy. Sugar cravings I've noticed but an trying to control that because honestly this med is giving me my life back. Cons: 20 minutes of a nasty taste in your mouth because you dissolve it under your tongue. Sugar/carb cravings but no excess weight gain yet."

Jessie1382 September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Amazing drug when combined with lexapro ( for my depressive side ). To say it has changed my life, saved my marriage and made me a better father is a sheer undersell of this medicine. I'm bipolar 2 with mixed episodes (Dysphoric). I'm no longer filled with rage over nothing, irritable , or depressed. It has thus far been the magic bullet for me, after trying about 6 other combinations. It's allowing me to be present in my own life without constantly overthinking or having racing and repeating thoughts. Having a clear mind is allowing me the freedom to be the man I always knew I was. There's a lot of horror stories on here but just remember when you find the right medication. Its worth it."

Finally free of Bp2 September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features, I got off of risperdal that I was only on for a couple of weeks and immediately started saphris. I'm an artist, and when I'm manic I create a lot. Within an hour in my first night of taking Saphris, I began to see colors very brightly , euphoria, "hey dad I feel REALLY good." Then I drew up 12 doodles in under 30 minutes. That night I could not sleep well and began to hear laughing in my room. I was verrrrry manic. When I woke up the next day I worked out at the gym for 3 hours and then went to the park to walk a lap. When I looked in the sky I was seeing UFOs and wondering if they were communicating with me. (hallucinations) That night I was having more auditory hallucinations before bed."

Sky0bye September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Saphris has done wonders for me. I have been on 10mg at night since July 7th and I have lost 4lbs already. I was on Invega paliperidone 9mg for 10 years. No matter how hard I tried (fasting, counting my calories) I couldn't lose weight. I like how Saphris puts me to sleep right away but I'm not tired the next day.Also, I have my sex drive back which I never had on Invega. I am so glad they have come up with better medications these days."

ELaettner1 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I've been taking saphris 10mg twice a day for over a year. It has helped me tremendously. I no longer hear 9 voices, down to 2 voices that are quiet. I do not get dizzy or tired on it as well. It has given me clarity and rest from voices. It has been good for me so far, so grateful. I no longer have anxiety as well."

Yourmedsareyourhealthsobeware July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "The wife tried this medication several years ago. She liked how it affected her negative symptoms but her hallucinations and paranoia came back really strong after a few weeks. Doctor probably should have eased her transition from olanzapine to Saphris but the way he did it didn't work. I still will be open to this medication in the future with so many positive experiences."

Anonymous June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I Gained 50 POUNDS in the first 2 months of taking it. Didnt Work At All. Still had insomnia."

Jamie567 June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "When I take in am, I'm so tired for 3 hours to the point of dozing off and on. At night I'm like a fish in bed, flopping all over! Restless, up down can't sleep. Why?"

lelydy15 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Worst medication I've ever been on. It has made me very flat, depressed, quiet, overweight, and also a case of anhedonia. I can't even talk to people anymore, just short answers and no enthusiasm. I also don't even enjoy nature anymore and I used to LOVE the outdoors. I've been feeling like a robot ever since I went on it 6 months ago. I know I should have told my doctor sooner. Last week I started dosing down and am praying that once I'm completely off of it I'll be feeling better and hope to have more life in me. I'm glad to see that it works for most people. Has anyone else experienced any of these side effects?"

Emilymarie96 April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Worked amazing for sleep for 5 of the 8 months I took it, and chronic insomnia, when left untreated, is a big trigger for my bipolar. After the sleep side effect wore off & it failed to do anything for a depressive episode (& had not helped mixed mania episodes earlier), I discontinued it. But those 5 months of sleep - they felt really natural, not drugged, easy to wake up from if you had to and go back to sleep, and no grogginess in the morning. Side effects: slight pinky tremor at times, and it made me produce lots of alive - I would drool like a basset hound on my pillow at night. If you go for this, ask your doc to prescribe the black cherry flavor - I did not find that to be too bad!"

Gone Bananas April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I began Saphris after a 4-day stay in the hospital for depression. Received no info on warnings or interactions.? At first, things seemed fine; neither good or bad. By the next spring, I found I could stay up without feeling tired for 24 hrs. By that summer I felt like superwoman, now having the ability to easily go 3-4 nights without sleep or sleepiness. Explain this to the psychiatrist, he DOUBLED the dose of prescribed Saphris. I had 4 car accidents that year. All my fault but totally unexplainable. I did not feel inebriated. My mood darkened and by November I tried to commit suicide. I spent 9 days in ICU. I can't explain why I tried suicide. Saphris side effects continued. I took myself off it and within a yr, all side effects gone"

SyntaraDeb April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Horrifying. Gave me side effects that mimicked a stroke. Lost my ability to write or make sense of computer keyboards and phone dialpads. Drooling, stuttering, slurring, walking sideways, walking into walls. A nightmare from hell."

& (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Saphris changed my life - but not until I went to 10 mg. I was finally "normal" - completely taking care of myself, my house, my business affairs .... I even realized I had hoarding tendencies and was able to rid my life of all the clutter. Then the wheels came off : Tardive dyskenisia. I can't think of a more humiliating side effect, and it started a year before I finally got a second opinion and was diagnosed. TD worsened when I stopped taking saphris, and unfortunately for me, all my "old" habits are back. It was so nice to be normal for the time it lasted -- but TD is horrific, and a truly unfortunate side effect."

Noone1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "My husband takes Saphris 5 mg twice a day for bipolar depression. He was having delusions and psychosis as well as paranoia. Since starting the Saphris these have stopped, but there are times when he is very stoned acting, like a zombie. He isn't responsive or talkative a lot of the time. His sex drive has also become non existent almost and he suffers from ED when we do have sex. It's so difficult when you have a disease like BD and then you have to take these meds, which help some of the symptoms but bring on others that are unwanted. It's like what do you do? My husband says being stoned is better than what he was experiencing before though. Saphris is also pretty expensive, but they do have a card that you can use for discounts."

JoanJet (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "ABSOULTELY AWFUL!!!! I was given this for depression and it made everything so much worse! I only took it for 4 days and days 3-4 were so bad I was concerned. Day 3 I was manic and skipped a midterm, completely unable to control my emotions in any form. Day 4 I awoke confused and disoriented. As the day progressed I was manic, had numb hands, couldn't articulate well, had cognitive impairments, and stiff muscles. It was a LIVING NIGHTMARE. I am also an alcoholic and two years sober so feeling anything besides normal was such a detriment to the drug I don't care if I would have gotten over those symptoms - this drug is pure poison."

Erica A. March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Is it addictive"

Anonymous February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "I've been on so many antipsychotics, but none have ever worked as well as Saphris. (I'm on 40 mgs. I think that's the max dose.) It tastes HORRIBLE. They are supposedly "black cherry" flavored. Well, I don't know where the manufacturers are getting THEIR black cherries, but this stuff certainly doesn't taste like any cherries I have ever eaten! Other than the taste and the tingly tongue, I love it. It had been a miracle worker for me. I'm relieved, because I think my psychiatrist and I are running out of options!"

CBuyck January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "really don't like the taste of it- i dread having to take it"

vmz December 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking this at 5mg for bipolar disorder. Firstly, the wafer I had to put under my tongue was horrendous! The taste can only be described as the taste of poison. It made my tongue numb. It made me extremely drowsy but it was hard to sleep because I had almost a painful restlessness in my legs so felt I couldn't stop moving yet I was so tired. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. This drug, an anti-psychotic MADE me psychotic. It dramatically changed my personally from the moment I took it. I became aggressive and angry at everyone. If I'd had a higher dose, i think I could have become homicidal. This was a terrible drug for me so I didn't last on it long at all, it was just too dangerous for me."

Ozrach10 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been on and off Saphris several times. For me, being on Saphris is like turning a light switch on. I go from being manic/depressed to functioning like a normal human. But.... the side effects have made me quit several times - irregular heartbeat, fainting, nausea, etc. Now back on at a low dose with Lamictal and clonezepam for panic disorder. Feel pretty good. Hope it will last. Without Saphris, I am non-functional - so doing my best to manage the side effects while getting the benefits of this medication. Best of luck to all."

Lunabee77 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking this med for years and I feel trapped. I don't think it really does anything for me. The problem is that I tried to stop taking it and I became completely useless, tired, irritable, and full of anxiety. Right now I have not taken it for two days because I forgot it before I went out of town. I am tired, got insomnia and I feel like I am hung over and nauseous. The withdrawals from taking this medication is awful. So I think anyone that wants to start this med should seriously consider this when making a decision to ingest this. I am not the only one who has experienced this. There is a lot about withdrawing from this med on the net."

831 November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Bad experience causes extreme restless leg syndrome and back aches, taste horrible also , only been on 20 mgs a day for 3 weeks so hopefully not much withdrawals I'm stopping cold turkey as I need my sleep gonna dry bendryl as I think its a allergic reaction. Would never take again."

cookie 1234 November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Helpful BUT it tastes TERRIBLE I absolutely hate the taste I would rather receive it through an injection than how I have to take it but my psychiatrist told me that it is okay to swallow it with a drink instead of the manufacturer directions also it is kind of like false advertising because it says that it tastes like black cherry but it does NOT at all when I was 5 I accidentally ate a small amount of poop and from what I remember it tastes almost exactly the same."

Aerh (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2016