User Reviews for Saphris

Bipolar Disorder
7.3

Summary of Saphris reviews 7.5 227 reviews

Reviews for Saphris

For Bipolar Disorder "I was put on Saphris in Jan '17 after I had a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. My doc wanted to make sure I was able to absorb my meds after surgery. I started at 5 mg and worked my way to 20 mg a night. After a bit it stopped working as effective and I needed a mood stabilizer added to my nightly meds. Using Saphris I found my sexual response and desire to be greatly diminished. Sex was painful while on this med. It took a lot more work to get a response out of me. I became pregnant in April '18 and with morning (all day) sickness I had a lot of issues with taking meds. I would take it only twice a week or so. I stayed on as much as I could until July when Dr tried to put me on abilify. I've been off of all meds since July. My sexual response and desire has gone back to normal. I liked what it did for my symptoms and for the most part kept me level but after I deliver this baby I will not be going back on Saphris as I enjoy being able to enjoy being intimate with my partner."

Ksjev September 23, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I was put on Saphris for voices and intrusive thoughts. I think it works really well. Most all of my voices are gone, and as far as my intrusive thoughts, there better. I'm on 10mg at bedtime and 10mg in the morning. It also helps with sleep. After about a month on Saphris, once I got stable I started being more active and exercising. I even started volunteering at a job. I know it works differently for everybody, but it really works well for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "It’s actually pretty good for anxiety. I can definitely say it helped me with most of my anxiety symptoms. I am not manic or depressed anymore, I’m just zoned out. It is a bit pricey as well."

TJ (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I started on 5mg at night for 6 nights and then went on to 10mg and have been on this for another week. So far no real problems. It puts me to sleep straight away which is a godsend and I am much calmer. The only issue is that I wake up after 4 hours sleep and am wide eyed but I still don't have much motivation or energy."

Janedeb24 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I can rest well at night Controls my mood"

Grenas (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I want everyone to know that my son has taken Saphris for about 4 years. His biggest side effect problem was the jaw tightening and the facial contortions. However, we recently found that if he eats a banana within 20-30 minutes of taking Saphris, these symptoms do not happen. This is based on Saphris removing dopamine and the banana gives a little boost of dopamine back so it counteracts these side effects. I tried to call Allergan to let them know this works but I have not heard back from this. This really does work. So if you take Saphris and have this side effect, try eating a banana within 20-30 minutes after taking it and the facial contortions do not occur. This would probably work with other anti psychotics drugs also. It has made my sons life so much easier. Anti psychotic drugs shut down certain dopamine receptors in the brain. The banana gives a small boost of dopamine, just enough to counter the effects of the drug."

mom July 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Took Saphris for about 2 1/2 weeks for Bipolar one mixed w/ Psychotic features. First time taking it hated black cherry taste but after that it didn't bother me anymore. First week was wonderful. High flying mania delight. Cleaned my house like crazy. Mania wasn't 'too high' though. Was in a great mood but no major shopping sprees. Week 2, I started backing down on the cleaning and happiness and started getting agitated mania. Moods were all over the place. Cried for an hour after a death in a TV show and felt like I was going to die of grief. Then it changed to anger and then depression. Moods were a little scary and rapidly changing. After that, it lessened in intensity but I was still having depression so I decided to come off and try another med. Also had bad heartburn and gained 5 lb in 2 weeks. May work for some but not me."

BipoPed (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

For Schizophrenia "After my whole life suffering with schizophrenia and being non responsive to anti psychotic drugs . Saphris (10mg) put me into complete remission to the point that I no longer had ANY mental illness in any shape or form. And every year that passed I become stronger and more alive then ever ! But unfortunately I get intense sugar cravings through the night after I take it that I can’t control and I have to get out of bed and eat. This had resulted in unwanted weight gain and I have a history of an eating disorder so it’s important not to be over weight. The weight gain bothers me so much that I’m now trialling Rexulti to see if that can help with hunger."

Chizza (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "For the first time in 12 months I feel back on track. My depression and anxiety are gone. I take it an hour before bedtime. No weight gain. Dissolves under your tongue so you can take it anywhere."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I only took Saphris for a very short time. It was good for mood but the blurry vision and headaches were more than I could deal with. If it hadn't been for those two side effects I would have stayed on it. I've tried so many meds but always have some side effect that makes me stop them."

Lisa Sears (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I took this medication for a very short time. Started at 5 mg for a week, then moved to 10mg. My doctor prescribed it when I was struggling with a poor sleep cycle when I was sleeping only ever other night and eating very little. The taste is awful, but tolerable if the medication would have worked otherwise. It did interrupt the critical sleep cycle. It worked for that. I was literally out in 15 minutes. However, I would wake up after 4 hours, literally famished. I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep until I ate. I wasn't groggy the next day from the med, but constantly hungry. Insatiably so. I developed a spasm in my eyelid after 6 days. At first, I dismissed it. However, it escalated to every hour. We then discontinued the medication. I have been off of it for a week, and still the eyelid twitching has continued every hour. I would avoid this medication due to the fact that tardive dyskenisia can be permanent and large number of patients have reported weight gain."

Foureyedgrrl May 18, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Saphris was the first drug I tried to treat my Bipolar II. The main reason for it was that weight gain was a big fear for me and I was not willing to jump into any medications that were not weight-neutral. Saphris was weight neutral, but it definitely did not work for me. I took it at night and some nights I would pass out to sleep and others I would sit up awake in my bed feeling like I had no control over my own body. During the day I had a edgy/off feeling like I was coming of a recreational drug. For an hour or two I felt at peace, but that would not last. Definitely not a good fit for me."

bpd789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I love this med. It does tastes horrible and makes my tongue numb but overall it is very helpful and helps with the voices"

Kells b (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I recently started taking this medicine. I am having horribly VIVID nightmares and night sweats, am switching back to Abilify."

Jen April 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Struggling with the medication. I get crazy thoughts and my mood is all over the place. Looking forward to seeing my doctor and changing meds"

Bc (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I don't know what the big deal is about the taste---I have the cherry and yeah, its not great, but if you want to feel better than you have to deal with it-----feeling better is all worth it to me...has helped me greatly------do not be afraid to try it---"

kenboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2018

For Schizophrenia "Saphris medicine is taken every evening when you plan on going to sleep. The dosage of medicine goes under your tongue as prescribed. The medicine is a tranquilizer and dissolves as soon as taken. Saphris have side effects the following day. Including tiredness when taken every evening"

A. Booker (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I don't currently take this prescription anymore because in the US it is expensive, when I was prescribed for panic attacks and anxiety at a low point in my life oh my god it helped so much, I felt so normal- not strung and feeling doomish, I had clarity mentally and emotionally (with bouts of panic attacks from heavy personal experience, for that I had clonazepam), I was in a good mood and living my own life on saphris, it felt like I had a sudden choice in feeling anxious or upset and I would mentally clear up my anxiety in seconds myself, and no more introspectiveness, the downside: I had anxiety sleeping and rapid crazy nightmares and waking up was a blur the first hour of waking.. I remember this helped a lot and I believe for bipolar (why I took it) it has a positive effect so much, but sleep is harsh on it and it was expensive"

mae77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My son has Autism and Bi polar disorder and had intense violent rages and breakdowns almost constantly. He didn't know how to interact with peers, he saw himself as superior to all and totally disconnected from reality. He would stay awake head banging every night. He had huge bags under his eyes and we tried everything we could to get him to sleep. He never slept through the night, and when he was an infant all he did was cry. He is nine now and has been on Saphris for about a year and a half. He is a different person. He was different the first day. He is actually loving towards me and family members and at least tries to interact with other kids. It is a godsend. He now sleeps 10 hrs"

9 year old boy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I rated this medication once before, I felt a need to update my review. I've taken Saphris since '13 @ 30 mg. Nightly and over the past 5 months I've slowly tapered down to 10 mg. With high hopes of discontinuing. Saphris got me out of a bad spot, I remember being horrified of answering the door let alone leaving the house I was so delusional. I got out of that spot, SLOWLY got on my feet and SOME WHAT rejoined society. My positive manic spirit is gone, I'm always tired & feel like life goes on around me, not with me. Its very hard to discontinue, I have panic attacks daily now and am beyond stressed. I feel like I'm trapped, no worse--or better--on or off after all these years."

crazydude81 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

For Schizophrenia "I've been on this medicine for about 6-9 months and its a wonderful drug. No more paranoid thoughts or delusions. I'm on the max dose which is 20 mg. It made me sleep for 12-14 hours a night at first but not anymore."

Shelbee33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "After trying several meds, which helped, I was introduced to Saphris @ 10mg/day. I experienced periods debilitating drowsiness, so decreased to 5mg. Problem disappeared. Mentally, emotionally I feel almost normal. Mood swings are slight, handleable. I like Saphris."

Mitch65 September 19, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "After 15 years of trying different meds, this is the first one to give me a positive change. I used to be suicidal everyday & had a hard time leaving the house. Everything was overwhelming. Since starting Saphris my mind finally feels like it has "brakes" and my thoughts feel lighter. I'm feeling true happiness, even happy to wake up. Little to no side effects 3 months in. I take it at night because it does make me sleepy. Sugar cravings I've noticed but an trying to control that because honestly this med is giving me my life back. Cons: 20 minutes of a nasty taste in your mouth because you dissolve it under your tongue. Sugar/carb cravings but no excess weight gain yet."

Jessie1382 September 13, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Amazing drug when combined with lexapro ( for my depressive side ). To say it has changed my life, saved my marriage and made me a better father is a sheer undersell of this medicine. I'm bipolar 2 with mixed episodes (Dysphoric). I'm no longer filled with rage over nothing, irritable , or depressed. It has thus far been the magic bullet for me, after trying about 6 other combinations. It's allowing me to be present in my own life without constantly overthinking or having racing and repeating thoughts. Having a clear mind is allowing me the freedom to be the man I always knew I was. There's a lot of horror stories on here but just remember when you find the right medication. Its worth it."

Finally free of Bp2 September 11, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features, I got off of risperdal that I was only on for a couple of weeks and immediately started saphris. I'm an artist, and when I'm manic I create a lot. Within an hour in my first night of taking Saphris, I began to see colors very brightly , euphoria, "hey dad I feel REALLY good." Then I drew up 12 doodles in under 30 minutes. That night I could not sleep well and began to hear laughing in my room. I was verrrrry manic. When I woke up the next day I worked out at the gym for 3 hours and then went to the park to walk a lap. When I looked in the sky I was seeing UFOs and wondering if they were communicating with me. (hallucinations) That night I was having more auditory hallucinations before bed."

Sky0bye September 3, 2017