User Reviews for Saphris

Bipolar Disorder
7.3

Summary of Saphris reviews 7.5 217 reviews

Reviews for Saphris

For Bipolar Disorder "I took this medication for a very short time. Started at 5 mg for a week, then moved to 10mg. My doctor prescribed it when I was struggling with a poor sleep cycle when I was sleeping only ever other night and eating very little. The taste is awful, but tolerable if the medication would have worked otherwise. It did interrupt the critical sleep cycle. It worked for that. I was literally out in 15 minutes. However, I would wake up after 4 hours, literally famished. I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep until I ate. I wasn't groggy the next day from the med, but constantly hungry. Insatiably so. I developed a spasm in my eyelid after 6 days. At first, I dismissed it. However, it escalated to every hour. We then discontinued the medication. I have been off of it for a week, and still the eyelid twitching has continued every hour. I would avoid this medication due to the fact that tardive dyskenisia can be permanent and large number of patients have reported weight gain."

Foureyedgrrl May 18, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Saphris was the first drug I tried to treat my Bipolar II. The main reason for it was that weight gain was a big fear for me and I was not willing to jump into any medications that were not weight-neutral. Saphris was weight neutral, but it definitely did not work for me. I took it at night and some nights I would pass out to sleep and others I would sit up awake in my bed feeling like I had no control over my own body. During the day I had a edgy/off feeling like I was coming of a recreational drug. For an hour or two I felt at peace, but that would not last. Definitely not a good fit for me."

bpd789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Schizophrenia "I love this med. It does tastes horrible and makes my tongue numb but overall it is very helpful and helps with the voices"

Kells b (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I recently started taking this medicine. I am having horribly VIVID nightmares and night sweats, am switching back to Abilify."

Jen April 15, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "Struggling with the medication. I get crazy thoughts and my mood is all over the place. Looking forward to seeing my doctor and changing meds"

Bc (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I don't know what the big deal is about the taste---I have the cherry and yeah, its not great, but if you want to feel better than you have to deal with it-----feeling better is all worth it to me...has helped me greatly------do not be afraid to try it---"

kenboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2018

For Schizophrenia "Saphris medicine is taken every evening when you plan on going to sleep. The dosage of medicine goes under your tongue as prescribed. The medicine is a tranquilizer and dissolves as soon as taken. Saphris have side effects the following day. Including tiredness when taken every evening"

A. Booker (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I don't currently take this prescription anymore because in the US it is expensive, when I was prescribed for panic attacks and anxiety at a low point in my life oh my god it helped so much, I felt so normal- not strung and feeling doomish, I had clarity mentally and emotionally (with bouts of panic attacks from heavy personal experience, for that I had clonazepam), I was in a good mood and living my own life on saphris, it felt like I had a sudden choice in feeling anxious or upset and I would mentally clear up my anxiety in seconds myself, and no more introspectiveness, the downside: I had anxiety sleeping and rapid crazy nightmares and waking up was a blur the first hour of waking.. I remember this helped a lot and I believe for bipolar (why I took it) it has a positive effect so much, but sleep is harsh on it and it was expensive"

mae77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "My son has Autism and Bi polar disorder and had intense violent rages and breakdowns almost constantly. He didn't know how to interact with peers, he saw himself as superior to all and totally disconnected from reality. He would stay awake head banging every night. He had huge bags under his eyes and we tried everything we could to get him to sleep. He never slept through the night, and when he was an infant all he did was cry. He is nine now and has been on Saphris for about a year and a half. He is a different person. He was different the first day. He is actually loving towards me and family members and at least tries to interact with other kids. It is a godsend. He now sleeps 10 hrs"

9 year old boy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I rated this medication once before, I felt a need to update my review. I've taken Saphris since '13 @ 30 mg. Nightly and over the past 5 months I've slowly tapered down to 10 mg. With high hopes of discontinuing. Saphris got me out of a bad spot, I remember being horrified of answering the door let alone leaving the house I was so delusional. I got out of that spot, SLOWLY got on my feet and SOME WHAT rejoined society. My positive manic spirit is gone, I'm always tired & feel like life goes on around me, not with me. Its very hard to discontinue, I have panic attacks daily now and am beyond stressed. I feel like I'm trapped, no worse--or better--on or off after all these years."

crazydude81 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

For Schizophrenia "I've been on this medicine for about 6-9 months and its a wonderful drug. No more paranoid thoughts or delusions. I'm on the max dose which is 20 mg. It made me sleep for 12-14 hours a night at first but not anymore."

Shelbee33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "After trying several meds, which helped, I was introduced to Saphris @ 10mg/day. I experienced periods debilitating drowsiness, so decreased to 5mg. Problem disappeared. Mentally, emotionally I feel almost normal. Mood swings are slight, handleable. I like Saphris."

Mitch65 September 19, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "After 15 years of trying different meds, this is the first one to give me a positive change. I used to be suicidal everyday & had a hard time leaving the house. Everything was overwhelming. Since starting Saphris my mind finally feels like it has "brakes" and my thoughts feel lighter. I'm feeling true happiness, even happy to wake up. Little to no side effects 3 months in. I take it at night because it does make me sleepy. Sugar cravings I've noticed but an trying to control that because honestly this med is giving me my life back. Cons: 20 minutes of a nasty taste in your mouth because you dissolve it under your tongue. Sugar/carb cravings but no excess weight gain yet."

Jessie1382 September 13, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Amazing drug when combined with lexapro ( for my depressive side ). To say it has changed my life, saved my marriage and made me a better father is a sheer undersell of this medicine. I'm bipolar 2 with mixed episodes (Dysphoric). I'm no longer filled with rage over nothing, irritable , or depressed. It has thus far been the magic bullet for me, after trying about 6 other combinations. It's allowing me to be present in my own life without constantly overthinking or having racing and repeating thoughts. Having a clear mind is allowing me the freedom to be the man I always knew I was. There's a lot of horror stories on here but just remember when you find the right medication. Its worth it."

Finally free of Bp2 September 11, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features, I got off of risperdal that I was only on for a couple of weeks and immediately started saphris. I'm an artist, and when I'm manic I create a lot. Within an hour in my first night of taking Saphris, I began to see colors very brightly , euphoria, "hey dad I feel REALLY good." Then I drew up 12 doodles in under 30 minutes. That night I could not sleep well and began to hear laughing in my room. I was verrrrry manic. When I woke up the next day I worked out at the gym for 3 hours and then went to the park to walk a lap. When I looked in the sky I was seeing UFOs and wondering if they were communicating with me. (hallucinations) That night I was having more auditory hallucinations before bed."

Sky0bye September 3, 2017

For Schizophrenia "Saphris has done wonders for me. I have been on 10mg at night since July 7th and I have lost 4lbs already. I was on Invega paliperidone 9mg for 10 years. No matter how hard I tried (fasting, counting my calories) I couldn't lose weight. I like how Saphris puts me to sleep right away but I'm not tired the next day.Also, I have my sex drive back which I never had on Invega. I am so glad they have come up with better medications these days."

ELaettner1 July 30, 2017

For Schizophrenia "I've been taking saphris 10mg twice a day for over a year. It has helped me tremendously. I no longer hear 9 voices, down to 2 voices that are quiet. I do not get dizzy or tired on it as well. It has given me clarity and rest from voices. It has been good for me so far, so grateful. I no longer have anxiety as well."

Yourmedsareyourhealthsobeware July 20, 2017

For Schizophrenia "The wife tried this medication several years ago. She liked how it affected her negative symptoms but her hallucinations and paranoia came back really strong after a few weeks. Doctor probably should have eased her transition from olanzapine to Saphris but the way he did it didn't work. I still will be open to this medication in the future with so many positive experiences."

Anonymous June 11, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I Gained 50 POUNDS in the first 2 months of taking it. Didnt Work At All. Still had insomnia."

Jamie567 June 8, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "When I take in am, I'm so tired for 3 hours to the point of dozing off and on. At night I'm like a fish in bed, flopping all over! Restless, up down can't sleep. Why?"

lelydy15 May 19, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Worst medication I've ever been on. It has made me very flat, depressed, quiet, overweight, and also a case of anhedonia. I can't even talk to people anymore, just short answers and no enthusiasm. I also don't even enjoy nature anymore and I used to LOVE the outdoors. I've been feeling like a robot ever since I went on it 6 months ago. I know I should have told my doctor sooner. Last week I started dosing down and am praying that once I'm completely off of it I'll be feeling better and hope to have more life in me. I'm glad to see that it works for most people. Has anyone else experienced any of these side effects?"

Emilymarie96 April 23, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Worked amazing for sleep for 5 of the 8 months I took it, and chronic insomnia, when left untreated, is a big trigger for my bipolar. After the sleep side effect wore off & it failed to do anything for a depressive episode (& had not helped mixed mania episodes earlier), I discontinued it. But those 5 months of sleep - they felt really natural, not drugged, easy to wake up from if you had to and go back to sleep, and no grogginess in the morning. Side effects: slight pinky tremor at times, and it made me produce lots of alive - I would drool like a basset hound on my pillow at night. If you go for this, ask your doc to prescribe the black cherry flavor - I did not find that to be too bad!"

Gone Bananas April 22, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I began Saphris after a 4-day stay in the hospital for depression. Received no info on warnings or interactions.? At first, things seemed fine; neither good or bad. By the next spring, I found I could stay up without feeling tired for 24 hrs. By that summer I felt like superwoman, now having the ability to easily go 3-4 nights without sleep or sleepiness. Explain this to the psychiatrist, he DOUBLED the dose of prescribed Saphris. I had 4 car accidents that year. All my fault but totally unexplainable. I did not feel inebriated. My mood darkened and by November I tried to commit suicide. I spent 9 days in ICU. I can't explain why I tried suicide. Saphris side effects continued. I took myself off it and within a yr, all side effects gone"

SyntaraDeb April 20, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Horrifying. Gave me side effects that mimicked a stroke. Lost my ability to write or make sense of computer keyboards and phone dialpads. Drooling, stuttering, slurring, walking sideways, walking into walls. A nightmare from hell."

& (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Saphris changed my life - but not until I went to 10 mg. I was finally "normal" - completely taking care of myself, my house, my business affairs .... I even realized I had hoarding tendencies and was able to rid my life of all the clutter. Then the wheels came off : Tardive dyskenisia. I can't think of a more humiliating side effect, and it started a year before I finally got a second opinion and was diagnosed. TD worsened when I stopped taking saphris, and unfortunately for me, all my "old" habits are back. It was so nice to be normal for the time it lasted -- but TD is horrific, and a truly unfortunate side effect."

Noone1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2017