User Reviews for Latuda

Schizophrenia
6.4

Summary of Latuda reviews 6.6 548 reviews

Reviews for Latuda

For Bipolar Disorder "I was put on Latuda 20 mg and slowly went up to 60 mg. Let me start off by saying that I cannot stress enough how much this medication has changed my life! I have never felt so normal. I can see and think clearly. I did experience akathisia but was put on propranolol for a week and it went away. I feel like life is worth living now! Latuda has saved my life!"

Missy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I have only been on Latuda a short period of time, unfortunately I have to taper to off of it. It makes me feel very lightheaded and dizzy. I have difficulty sleeping and have developed bad insomnia. Like others mentioned in their reviews I feel flat not happy or sad. The reason I am weaning off of it is because I almost went to the ER last evening. My anxiety was through the roof, feels like you just want to jump out of your skin. Remember everyone is different and trying new medications is very complex. Always talk to your Doctor before taking or stopping a medicine. Good Luck to all who are suffering."

Struggling (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2019

"37 F - I am taking this drug “off-label” for major depressive disorder. Nothing worked previously & I’ve tried more medications & non-med treatments than I can count. This one has finally pulled me out of the gutter and it worked FAST - none of that “4-6 weeks” rubbish. I was buried in complete misery and had passive suicidal thoughts (wishing I wouldn’t wake up in the morning, wishing I had never been born). I was at the point where my providers were pushing me to go to a day outpatient program (IOP). Now, I still have to watch out for triggers that send my mood spiralling, but my anhedonia & “baseline” have improved and I am able to reframe negative thought patterns. Negative side effects - fatigue, but the weight gain has been the worst. I’ve gained over 10 pounds in 2 months. My psychiatrist has suggested metformin to address this. I’ve never been this heavy in my life. And this is on top of the 15 lbs I’ve gained from Zoloft and then Pristiq."

bflosenrab June 1, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed 15 years ago for bipolar I disorder. I was put on a very high dose of lamotrigine (450 mg) and lithium (1500-1800 mg). My memory was decimated and my thinking was dulled and I had other cognitive issues including ability to concentrate and pay attention. After 14 years on this regime, I sought another doctor's opinion. He cross-tapered Latuda (dosing up to 60 mg), and lowered the lithium from 1800 mg to zero! We did this over 6 months, very gradually. I am eternally grateful to my doctor. My mind became free again and most of my cognitive problems either diminished or went away entirely. What a great, life-changing decision. I wish you well on your path to healing. Never give up!!"

miracle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Been for on Latuda over 2 months for bipolar mania and depression at a dose of 20mg taken at night help ensure sleep and really cleared up thoughts. No issues."

BP (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Only been on Latuda a couple of weeks and I'm noticing improvements in my depression that are bizarre, in a good way. Didn't do much at a dose 20mg but now at 40mg dose it really works - I feel LIKE THE KING OF THE WORLD. I can't explain it. I just want to jump for joy. Anyway, male, 6'5, 220 lbs. No akathesia yet like everyone talks about but if it happens I will just lower the dose. Excited about this med because the improvements in my extreme depression are miraculous. Medicaid covers it too--it is pretty expensive if you don't have good insurance."

CJ (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Started taking Latuda about 1 year ago for bipolar and never did its job as I never saw any positive effects. I did however have issues with the side effects of it knocking me out, tremors and muscle stiffness. The fact that it makes me want to sleep all day makes me very depressed. I also started having more than usual really dark thoughts. Started seeing a new doc and he is taking me off it but the withdrawals from Latuda are horrible."

bpetroni (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "For the first two weeks I felt an improvement of mood (I have bipolar). I am on Lamictal, Seroquel and Ativan for the occasional anxiety. I started out on 20 mgs then after two weeks went to 40 mg. Right at the three week mark that’s when I started to have extreme panic attacks, restlessness, and I felt out of my mind. I already suffer from hypomania, disassociation, and anxiety, and this medication exponentially increased it. I felt out of my mind and decided to quit cold turkey, which is kind of disheartening because I was desperate for a pill that would work for my severe depression and hypomania. Everything was intensified to the point. Voices in my head, panic attacks, anxiety over everything, and a complete loss of time and space. I wouldn’t recommend this drug to anyone with preexisting anxiety disorders."

zombie (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Latuda about 8 months ago when I got diagnosed Bipolar in the hospital after a manic episode. Initially I felt very tired, numb, and had social anxiety. It has balanced me out and I haven't felt more stable in my life. No crazy anger outbursts, no suicidal ideations, or impulsivity. The only downsides are the side effects. I have pretty bad social anxiety and in the beginning I was so exhausted but now that has gone away, clenching of the jaw/teeth, shaky hands/head, I overheat. But the longer I take it the more the side effects lessen. Over all- I would take the side effects over the horrible mental illness."

DJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I replaced my Seroquel with Latuda because the former wasn't working well any longer and I gained a lot of weight. I only lost a few pounds after the switch to 80mg of Latuda. So, my Doctor and I worked on a trial and error program with a combination of drugs. Here's what's working for me as of now: 20mg of Latuda (makes me drowsy and that's about it...so I take it at night), 400mg of Lamotrigine (can't think of any side-effects), and 0.5mg of Xanax every night. I've always had trouble sleeping so the combo of Latuda and Xanax takes care of that. The Xanax also helps with the anxiety I've always had, the Lamotrigine keeps the mania and some of the depression away, and the Latuda seems to take the rest of the depression away. I've been stable with this combination and lost another 11 lbs. The biggest downside-besides cost- is the drowsiness I have during the day. A 20 min nap helps with that."

Steve May 8, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Because of latuda I now have side effects of constant restlessness, I'm always sleepy, I have uncontrollable facial movements, teeth grinding, blinking excessively at times, very dizzy a lot of the time and lightheaded, lots of nausea vomiting, major loss of appetite, I lost 40 lbs, inability to keep still most of the time, agitation, blurred vision, no sex drive, confused, dry skin, stiff neck I can't turn all the way, twitching uncontrollably of my eyes mouth tongue face arms legs lips, my back is always sore, my anxiety attacks are worse, I'm hyperactive, I feel manic all the time, always feel nervous, I have tightening of my jaw and snapping and I even chipped a tooth, constant headaches back lower skull always tense, trouble collecting my words, weird jerking movements from my fingers toes arms legs face lips mouth tongue and eyes, unsure of what to do next, restless confused looking for something to do constantly, I always feel weak, sweating of my hands and feet. And it won't go away!!"

Windy May 3, 2019

For Schizophrenia "My psychiatrist put me on Latuda to treat my condition. I started with a small dose and went up to a maximal dose. I was informed that the drug could cause side effects, such as extreme unrest when getting to sleep. After two months of use I started to feel horrible side effects. Feeling extremely vulnerable in social situations and anxiety. Often I experienced the worst nightmares through the nights while being/feeling fully awake. I had uncontrolled panic attacks and started to sweat heavily. Many unpleasant thoughts and even experiencing not being alone. Also physical abnormal behaviour in the face/mouth/tongue. This could last for many hours until I fell to sleep being totally exhausted. I never had such issues before. It happened mostly once a week. I always was afraid to go to sleep. For a long time I didn't suspect the drug being the trigger. But at the end I quit the drug for good, even so my doctor didn't recommend it. After I was off the drug everything went to normal again."

Backtonormal (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 1, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Suffered from bi polar depression (what they say) my whole life, it gets worse with different experiences, mimicks things like ADHD, anxiety, etc (so they say). Started Latuda 5 days ago. First day felt great, day 2 felt great, day 3 I slept 1.5 hours after a 10 hour day then did another 10 hours. The restlessness was unbearable, tried different beds, couch, different positions, baths, I had this incredibly strong energy that was dying to explode in every part of my body. It made me cry, punch and scream in pillows. The next day I felt so tired and weak. I switched taking my 40mg from at night to in the morning, we will see how this works."

Mads (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Been on 120 mg Latuda now for about a year. I really felt a difference right away, no more extreme lows with anger, no more mania with urges to do crazy things or act out. Feel very stable, but somewhat numb at times. It does kill any libido I had. No changes in weight. Restless legs though if I take it to early before bed, so I take as close to bedtime as possible to sleep through it. Overall great drug, best I’ve been on in the last 6 years. I recommend it myself."

Alrighty (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2019

For Schizophrenia "My son was on Latuda for 2 years and he was very angry & violent on it. Horrible side effects so my warning is to Proceed with Great Caution or don't take at all."

Jack (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "The quiz "are you bipolar?" isn't useful at all It's simply addresses the manic side. Bipolar includes both manic and depressive and some of us live in the depressive side. Until the manufacture acknowledges BOTH sides of bipolar I would stay away from this medication"

Spit (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

For Schizophrenia "I've only been on this medication for a week but the side effects have worsened my condition (unknown form of schizophrenia/psychosis ) so much. My delusions are worse, they feel more real, voices are worse, I have a constant headache and I am unable to function."

hailz (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "Was prescribed Latuda and told that 20 mg would be wasting both my and the doctors time. Started at 20 mg the first week and upped to 40 mg. Felt good, but thought I could feel better, so I asked to up the dosage to 80 mg. Huge mistake! The restlessness, pacing, severe insomnia, heart palpations, etc. I had slept 10 hours in a two week period and felt like I was crawling out of my skin while thinking really dark thought. I immediately started tapering my dose and saw the doctor on day three of withdrawal. She prescribed benztropine once a day and hydroxyzine three times day as needed. I'm still feeling not right and tapering again to 20 mgs. I cannot wait to get this out of my system."

Thumper (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "WOW. Latuda was an amazing drug for me. It made me feel completely normal. It was one of the most relieving feeling ever, it lifted me right out of my dark depression that I was in for months. The crying spells, self harm, anger, and my suicidal ideation is gone, now I actually want to live! It's a strange but welcome feeling. It is one of the very few antipsychotics that I don't feel chemically lobotimized on. Only problem is about 3 months in I started developing akathisia and it was interfering with my sleep, so I had to be taken off of it. We are trying another med with less risk but I like Latuda so much I think I might go back on it along with Cogentin to help the akathisia."

Robert (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Latuda 40mg for 10 months and I felt it was effective for my mood swings, However, I began having intense anxiety. I’m talking paranoid, terrifying, nonstop anxiety. I had akathesia, and outrageous muscle twitches. I couldn’t eat, I lost 17 pounds in 6 weeks. I didn’t need to lose, btw. I finally tapered off, which was extremely difficult. It has been 6 months since I’ve stopped taking it and I am still having some side effects! Please do your research before taking this medication! It’s absolutely not worth losing your mind. The long term side effects are still unknown. I’m still trying to heal. I couldn’t even leave my house! So, just a heads up...if you’re going through this, you’re not alone! It does get a little better once you get away from it."

Daisy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on Latuda for about 2 months for my bipolar the first month was going great. Then as soon as my Doctor upped my dose I felt like I was loosing my mind. It wasn't even that high - 40 mg. I ended up at the ER so many nights with panic attacks, got hospitalized for 2 days for suicidal thoughts and severe anxiety. Literally 2 days after getting of the meds I stated to feel better. I would never wish my experience on anyone."

Rose23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm 40, and I have been going thru this all my life, I'm having GAD, Depression and Panic Attacks, I tried all out there, my first med was Lorazepam, and then all kind of SSRI, SNRI, I was stable for many years with SSIRs and then all started to grow in diff way, I became Bipolar Depression with Panic Attacks, started all sort of mood stabilizers in combination with SSRI, but it didn't work well, now on antipsychotic meds for depression and Pexeva 10 for OCD, Latuda 40 (less then 3 weeks now), also I'm taking mood stabilizer Trileptal 600 combination with Chlorpromazine 10, this mix helps me, and I'm more motivated and happy this days, I never put comments but I think to share it, and might help people, I love read comments myself thou, thank you and may all of you feel better soon!!!."

Nikita February 27, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I was put on this medication after I had a psychotic manic episode on lithium. I take 80mg per day. Since I have been on this medication my mania is gone and I can live a normal life. I really like Latuda and highly recommend it to anyone else. It has made my life much better and I finally live mania free. Of course there are side effects but dealing with the illness was much worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "This may not be the best option for people with a psychotic diagnosis. I have bipolar 1, mixed, with psychotic features. (Along with OCD, ADHD, and PTSD). This medication made my psychotic symptoms so much worse. The hallucinations and delusions I experienced were out of control within days of taking this med."

Derp (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder "I started on Latuda 4-5 months ago for Bipolar Depression. I feel so much happier now. I used to get up, go to work, and then go to bed. I would stay in bed on my days off. After Latuda, I was able to get up and clean my house; I started going out with my friends again. It has been the only light at the end of the tunnel since 2012. The downsides include horrible, daily, all-day nausea. It is not controlled by Zofran. In the beginning, I would throw up unexpectedly--that has stopped. I do clench my jaw terribly and have very slight weird tongue movements. The tongue movements are pretty much controlled by taking benadryl at night with the Latuda. Initially, I took Latuda in the morning but it made me very, very tired to the point I was missing work. All in all, for me, the good outweighs the bad with this drug."

Jill (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2019