User Reviews for Latuda

Latuda Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"At first Latuda seemed to stabilise me, but I soon realised it was enhancing my hypomania and making it difficult to get to sleep. This ultimately led me to stop taking it."

bpd789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

"Took it three days, lowest dose. Day one mood lifted and curbed appetite by dinnertime. Day two some mild nausea set in, made me feel like I wanted to get things done for the first time in a long time- maybe I'd been borderline hypomanic because I felt the urge to completely clean and rearrange our garage. Also low appetite. Day three felt like I couldn't stop moving, no appetite at all, and wanted to lay in bed because the nausea was horrible- like I'd been spinning all day, but couldn't help but pace between the house and outdoors. Really wanted this one to work. Back to the drawing board."

Roh April 29, 2018

"This drug have me severe akathesia. It made me wreck and it freaked me out so much I wanted to jump out of my skin!"

Jess April 20, 2018

"Caused Tardive Dyskinesia in both my mother and myself. I couldn't believe it at first because it worked well for me for many years. Ultimately it cost my mother her life. I expect more will be revealed about this drug in the future."

Maria (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2018

"I'm taking Latuda for bipolar 2. I started on 20 mg and eventually went up to 40 mg. It seems to work well for me. I haven't experienced any hypomania and over time the bouts of depression subsided. In the beginning I experienced a lot of nausea and sleepiness. That went away after several months. I also experience anxiety and hour or two after taking it occasionally so now I take it at bed time. That seemed to solve that problem. Other than the anxiety I really don't experience any other side effects anymore."

HapaMommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2018

"Do not take this after taking Geodon "

Tjd (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"So far, it’s the best antipsychotic I’ve ever taken, and I’ve taken quite a few. Since my diagnosis of mixed bipolar disorder, I’ve had issues finding the right drug to manage both psychotic features like hallucinations and the depression that can come with Bipolar disorder. Since this drugs is specifically approved for bipolar depression, my pDoc thought it would be worth a shot. It works great - my mood has improved, I think clearly, I haven’t heard a voice in over a month. Plus, my paranoia has all but vanished. I take it with Gabapentin 100mg twice a day, lithium 900mg Daily, and propranolol 10mg twice a day. My one gripe is it’s price, but that goes down to $15 bucks if you have an activated savings card, which most doctors can give you."

Sunguppy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

"I read a fair bit of negatives about this drug, I even put off taking it. But I did start taking it and I’m grateful I did, as far as I can tell I had no side effects, none that were prominent, and in a short time I felt a positive change - I can’t remember how long it took but it was quick, a week or two. But I was on other meds also. Lithium, Ritalin Seroquel (no longer). I’d recommend Latuda, I’m so glad I take it. It’s a sturdy drug, it helps with moods and over all feeling off - depression. I’ve got energy and interest in life things I’d almost forgot about."

Platypus Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 25, 2018

"I took this medication for about 2 weeks, and it made my anxiety worse! I couldn’t stop the anxiety feeling, and the depression. I was taking ablify before Latuda, so I decided to go back on the ablify, which really does help!"

Susieq (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

"I took latuda for two months. It helped with the mania and crying spells. Although it made me tired. I felt sluggish all the time. It worsens tardative dyskinesia. I felt restless at times and had severe anxiety. I worried about anything. I'm now on week three since quitting. The withdrawals were awful at first. I'm finally beginning to feel like myself again. I'm having headaches and mild depression, but so glad I quit. I wouldn't recommend this drug. The side effects and withdrawals are awful!!!"

DP (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2018

"I am on 20mg of latuda, and 1200mg of lithium and 300mg of bupropion, I just started taking the latuda about 2 weeks ago, yesterday is the first time I noticed any real side effects, I was at work when the nausea and vomiting started, shortly after I notice my left leg was stiff and hurt, as the day went on the pain only got worse. As for my bipolar, I am happier then ever, I usually would drink at gatherings but I noticed I don't even want to drink. I hope I can get past the side effects, this is the first time in 10 years I found something that works."

Redrachel (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

"If I could give Latuda a 0 rating, I definitely would. The akathisia was terrible, to the point that I would cry all night and every night because I couldn’t fall asleep. I was restless yet drowsy. I would watch the clock constantly all day every day because one minute would feel like 4 hours to me- Doing ANYTHING was torture, yet NOT doing anything was also torture. Doctor switched me back to Seroquel XR and I am back to my old self, thank goodness"

Sandy1227 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

"I was prescribed Latuda for treatment resistant depression. I took it for around 6 months at different doses. It gave me energy. However, I felt a bit jittery at times. I hated having to eat a minimum of 350 calories with it when taking it before going to sleep. Other than giving me energy it did not alleviate any of my other depression symptoms."

VickyEE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2018

"Developed outbursts due to autism & puberty. On Latuda for only 7 days and developed jaw tic (not involuntary; more like “restless leg syndrome” of the jaw) Been off for 13 days and still have jaw movements. Permanent? Too soon to tell but not optimistic. I think this one should be contra-indicated for those who have had tics of the head or neck."

Multi-initial teen (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2018

"Been on Latuda for less than 4 weeks. The first week I felt my depression and anxiety symptoms lift. After that, I kept wondering why it felt like it was taking me so long to wake up in the morning. I am mentally exhausted, depressed and feel very restless. I started taking it at night but felt I was still feeling foggy and tired all day long. Not for me."

tris123 February 17, 2018

"I have tried every combo for my Bi polar Depression and manic. I have been on Latuda with my evening meal 40mgs and 10mg lexapro in the morning. I also take tegretol xr 400mg at night for an antimanic and this combination works amazing controlling impulse behavior, depression, and I do take buspar 10mgs twice a day to control anxiety levels. I have never felt better and I can enjoy life. The first 3 weeks were really rough but once you hit a month it's like a switch and everything started feeling normal again and I even go out of my way to join in on family/social events. It welcomes you back into life...give it a chance!!! It's worth it...and so are you."

Jared33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2018

"This medicine will change your life. Wait it out. There’s a certain adjustment period your brain needs. Don’t be hyper aware every time you take it, realize that’s just anxiety. Make sure you take it with at least 350 cal or it will not work. Sit back, relax, and don't listen to that voice in the back of your head telling you you’re not good enough."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

"Took Latuda for about six months. I've had every side effect. I gained 20 pounds, had awful nausea and heartburn. May help some people, but this med did not agree with me."

Blue_eyed_Ukrainian (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2018

"I cross tappered from risperdal to Latuda back in July and August. Noticed right away that I was more outgoing and motivated even though I wasn’t really depressed before. I got bad anxiety from it for about a month but I pushed through it. Stomach pain and upper back/rib discomfort. Went from 20 to 40 to 60. 60 was too much! Around Thanksgiving I had to put in an emergency call to my pdoc to lower back to 40 due to akisthisia. In December I started getting involuntary movements that I reported to my pdoc. He said we can wait and see! I made an appointment with a neurologist for a second opinion. This is by far the best med I’ve ever been on for mood but the side effects suck! I’m so torn on what to do next."

Lease235 January 17, 2018

"This was for my Depression/anxiety.I have tried a few medications and nothing seemed to be working for me. I’m on a Effexor, Concerta, low dose of seroquel and latuda just recently. I started at 20 mg but after a couple months my dr increased it to 40mg. With 20mg I was feeling pretty good, no side effects. I then had a bad week and was in the hospital and was then upped to 40mg. I can tell a huge difference in myself with the increase. Genuinely pretty happy but I had to switch my latuda to bedtime because it makes me extremely tired. The first week I was taking it in the morning and I had to leave work one day because I felt so unbelievably tired. I felt I was going to crash my car on the way home... definitely a powerful drug but when taken correctly it can do wonders."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2018

"I was put on this after Lamictal alone wasn’t cutting it for my mixed depression and hypomania episodes. I’m bipolar type 2. I got up to 60 mg and couldn’t handle the side effects: blurry vision, restless legs, dry mouth, irritability.... So I’m now back at 40 mg and that seems like the perfect dose for me; all side effects have subsided and I feel more stable."

th3scientist December 29, 2017

"Only made it to day twelve. I found myself restless every night. I could not hold still and my whole body tensed up. I would get angry then cry. I had to take a sleeping pill and fall asleep in order for it to stop. Last day it was so bad I could not drive home from work. I was scared, crying, unsure of my surroundings and thought I might need to go to the hospital. The next day I still feel the effects. It should be out of my system but my body aches and uncontrollable movements have not stopped. From someone who has taken many bipolar medications for 20 years this is the worst. Might have the least known side effects but stay away from it."

NytoTx December 27, 2017

"20mg & only made it 3 days. Day 1- cloud lifted. Appetite subsided. Day 2- couldn't sit still & kind of queasy, even with extra food. Appetite was practically gone (which, as a binge eater, was an amazing feeling). Day 3- compulsory restlessness; I literally had to be moving. The nausea, even with taking a meal, was too much to bear on day 3, which put me into a kind of medicated "funk", so there was no day 4... My Pdoc said nausea gets worse, so why bother with trying day four. Had been on Seroquel XR in past and dropped it because I was getting heart flutters where I had to catch my breath, and involuntary muscle movements. For 3 years it had worked wonderfully and I hate that I had to drop it."

Got my hopes up! (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

"I was suicidal constantly since age 15 and went through every medication possible. SSRIs made it worse, mood stabilizers did nothing, and the antipsychotics worked like magic. I gained a ton of weight and developed metabolic syndrome on every other antipsychotic but this one and have lost all the weight I gained from this journey to the right medicine. Of course I get nauseous sometimes but I think for most of us who make it to a drug like Latuda, that’s nothing compared to the benefit."

Sidekick55 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 19, 2017

"Horrible. Made me nauseous headache dizzy off balance extreme fatigue irritable crying depressed shaking anxious"

Phoo December 15, 2017