User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I took latuda for a little over a year and I had so many side effects. I was so tired all the time, I couldn't function at work and I was a cashier, my throat got smaller, I would gag brushing my teeth and I used to be able to take 3 pills at once without a problem. When I was on latuda I could barely swallow one and I still gagged. I had memory loss, weight gain. I was miserable and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realised that it was latuda. So, I got weaned off of it and I felt 10 million times better, I lost 50lbs since I've been off of it, I can function again, my memory is slowly coming back and I don't gag when I brush my teeth and I can swallow more than one pill without gagging."

Awat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on this med for 5 days and I feel FABULOUS!!! On my last 40 mg dose today & then upping to 80. It's been a year of hell on my antidepressants with cycling up & down. I call it the the roller coaster of emotions. My depression would only improve for a short time & then I crashed back down. I can't believe how amazing I feel in such a short amount of time. So thankful!!!!"

JJinTX (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on 20 mg of Latuda for bipolar and anxiety disorder. I felt the same as I always do during the first week of starting latuda. Then I upped it to 40 mg a week later and about an hour later I felt super tired , dizzy , confused , slow heart beat , and UN aware of what was going on around me. And to make it all worse I had trouble sleeping. But I felt so weak like I needed to sleep but couldn't. I'm unsure whether I should continue or discontinue it. Overall rating on this drug would be a 5. Those were terrible side effects and they hit me hard."

Annon11223 August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My psych started me on latuda about 6 days ago. I am 32 years old and have suffered from manic bipolar depression for many years. Also with a touch of OCD and severe anxiety. Before latuda I was on ativan for my anxiety. My Dr started me on 40 mg of Latuda and the obvious side effect of nausea did come. But its rather tolerable. My Dr told me there's a trick. Take it after dinner. After a couple days I have begun to get terrible restless leg syndrome. Talked to my Dr and he put me on klonopin to take 1 hour after latuda. Last night it didn't work. Overall, my mood is still wishy washy. I am however getting up and doing more. With my depression I haven't been active in sex with my husband as much neither. Let's hope that changes as well."

Crys4 August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Latuda for about 6 months for bipolar disorder. I was taking just Seroquel but had breakthrough anxiety and depression, so my psychiatrist added Latuda. It definitely has helped with my depression and anxiety. My big issue is I can only tolerate 10mg/day. Anything more than that and I have severe insomnia. Also, having to take it with 350 calories is a pain. I take it at lunch time. 10mg dose does not make me sleepy. I would warn anybody taking this medication to be careful when stopping it. I abruptly stopped it a few weeks ago and sunk into the worst, deepest, most God awful depression of my life. After a week, I started back on the Latuda and 6 days back on it, I'm feeling better."

AJ63 August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's been about 6 weeks on Latuda. During this time I experienced joint pain, severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have asked for advice from pharmacists, doctors and other sources. I have Ativan to help with the akathesia. Lamictal started helps with the panic and anxiety but helps the Latuda built up a wall between my brain and body. And Latuda - I can only sleep a couple hours each night. No drowsiness here. What I really want is to be titrated down to 20 mg and see if the side effects are negated. Otherwise looking towards seroquel...help!"

Janniekm (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Latuda was a great drug for me. The only side effect was it bothered my nerves while I slept. Another thing I HATE about this drug is the price. When I was on it for a month I was laughing, cracking jokes, just really happy. But since I can't afford it I'm on Geodon, and it works fine, I just don't have the happiness that Latuda gave me. When I was on Latuda I was also taking Lithium and Lamictal."

FSE August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not very effective for bipolar depression. Now in week 5 of taking med. Extremely expensive and relatively ineffective."

AEHJR (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Latuda didn't even come close to touching my bipolar depression. I kept waiting and waiting for it to work, but nothing happened. I ended up having a horrible depressive episode that almost got me hospitalized. Plus, I had to eat a 350 calorie snack with it, which was always difficult to figure out. On top of that, it would knock me out every night, which would be considered nice...if it didn't knock me out at 7-8pm."

bipolarbunny August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to take it at bedtime, but was getting nauseated. I switched to taking it with dinner and the nausea has subsided quite a bit. I've gained weight according to the scale, but that's due to constipation the last couple of weeks. My stomach is sticking out more, but I've actually lost a couple inches everywhere else since being on the meds. Constipation was already an issue for me, so I don't blame the meds for it. Overall, it's been great. I'm not angry all the time anymore, no more yelling or crying, no binge eating, etc. I'm a lot happier and more motivated to do anything and everything."

Anonymous35yoF July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this for anxiety and depression, it didn't help my depression, and it made my anxiety worse. It also made my jaws feel really sore, I was clenching them a lot( not something I normally do) and this just generally gave me an over all uneasy feeling, stopped taking it."

5150Aries (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Latuda in 2014 which was the first time I had ever heard of it. I was given it because of my horrible bipolar depression and auditory hallucinations I believe it was 60 or 80 mg. It worked really well. My depression was getting better and everything was going on the right path. Than I started hearing things again so they increased my dose to 120 mg. I never heard anything again. I was always very unmotivated and tired lifeless so to say. Then I moved states and they wouldn't give me the 120 mg so they put me on 80 mg. I was terrified voices would come back but they never did. I had energy, motivation to do things, it was awesome! I have tried multiple like abilify, seroquel, but those literally knock me out since I am not manic."

Shirie88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Glad works for some. I had nausea vomiting taking it with food. Panic attacks with racing heart rate which I've never had before. Muscle dyskinesia of jaw. What made it worse was because it wasn't helping my depression , my psych kept upping dose " to see" if that worked. Worse drug I've ever been on & hope your caretakers pay attention to your side effects."

Mcdele July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Latuda for nine weeks now. My first week was 20mg, second week 40 mg, third week 60mg, fourth week 80 mg, fifth week 90 mg, and sixth week 120 mg. I feel more upbeat. I don't worry like in the past about my job. I used to think people were saying things behind my back. I lost a few pounds. I am more focused, kind of like being on adderral. My dosage is at the sweetspot. I find I have to take it late before I go to sleep otherwise I will want to go to sleep. I use this in combination with Wellbutrin 300mg XL in the morning with one 450 mg of lithium and two 450 mg of lithium at night with the 120 mg of latuda. The prescription is expensive if you don't have insurance it is 1000 a month, otherwise with insurance its 75 mo."

Robertnyc July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on seroquel for quite some time and really liked it, but I didn't appreciate the small weight gain or my lack of desire to wake up in the morning. However, it stabilized my mood and gave me the best sleep of my life. My Dr suggested latuda, which I've been taking for about 5 months now at 60 mg. Latuda is also great at stabilizing my mood and no weight gain, but it makes me terribly sick. I'm very nauseous even when I have food in my stomach-sometimes to the point I'm sure I'm going to vomit. It even makes my teeth hurt initially. I want to love this medication as it is truly helpful in mood stabilization, but the induced sickness every time I take it is getting old."

Could be worse (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Latuda 40mg for nearly 1 month now. Diagnosed Bipolar II since I was in my mid forties. I am now 65 years old. So far this medication has been very effective. No depression for 3 weeks. No hypomania so far. Seroquel worked fairly well but not as well as Latuda. I have lost a few pounds since I started Latuda. I have recieved some samples and will purchase this drug from Canada due to the outrageous cost here in the USA. My Medicare copay is $450.00. In Canada I can get a 30 day supply for about $180.00. Otherwise I would have to take something else and likely much less effective. Latuda is a great medication for me but it is truly incredible and in a way evil that 30 tablets retails for $1200!"

Damien712 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Latuda for over 1 year. I am on 40 mg now. I have become very mean to everyone. My family has pretty much disowned me. They told me that I should be able to control myself since I know there is a problem. I have had a hard time getting my doctor to take me off of it. I will show her these reviews tomorrow."

Ramona 1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with Latuda is mostly negative. I have been on it for 5 months and will be tapering off in a couple of weeks thankfully. The only good thing about it is it stabilized me in a severe mixed mania with psychosis episode, but other than that, the side effects are horrible. It has done nothing for my depression the past two months and I have had anxiety and major irritability on it. The nausea and vomiting is miserable. I was prescribed zofran to offset the nausea but that is not so helpful either since the zofran causes constipation. The 350 calorie requirement is a pain because you can't take it with dinner or you fall asleep instantly, so I take it with a late night meal to last a few more hours, hence more weight gain."

tdanielle (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I initially went on it for depression. It worked great. But years had passed and everyday was the same I was never moving forward. I was forgetting a lot of things. I'm in my 30s I felt as if I was in my 70s when it came to memory. The ability to converse normally decreased over time. I would forget at-least 2 words every few sentences and I would forget obligations and functions. When I went off of it my room was clean for the 1st time my car was clean for the 1st time and for the 1st time I wasn't craving stimulants. I feel alive again.... 3 months off Latuda"

WalkingDead8402 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Latuda for about 4-5 months, after taking myself off Seroquel. Latuda seemed promising as it has less metabolic side effects than other atypical antipsychotics. However, Latuda immediately gave me severe anxiety (which added klonopin to my daily regiment). Towards the end of the 4-5 months, I began developing recurring and intense dark thoughts immediately after increasing my Latuda dosage. I instantly took myself off of the drug and am searching for a new atypical antipsychotic to fill its place. I know that Latuda has worked very well for some, but I want to add a warning that it can cause severe anxiety. Monitor your symptoms carefully with your doctor."

A little lost in my head July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well let me tell you about this so called latuda. I started it May 10 2017 20 mg once daily it is now June 7 I stopped cold turkey. I hated it first week lost my voice made my sugar go up, then week two bad muscle pain on right side, week 3 look out the panic attacks started running to ER every other day & bad rash. It might work for some but for me no I will NEVER EVER take this med again"

Bubbles72 June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Latuda now for approximately 6 weeks. I've noticed an increase in my desire to get up and move and overall wellness. I no longer think everyone is out to get me and actually enjoy going to work everyday. I had trouble falling asleep the first two weeks but that has subsided. One downfall is my blood pressure has been low (90/60) and has caused some light headedness. All in all if am also very blessed that my dr. introduced me to Latuda."

Ckeeter June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Latuda has made me considerably moodier, over-reactive and mean, and EXTREMELY drowsy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Latuda is the fastest acting drug for bipolar depression I've experienced, without side effects. I was frankly dubious about ever finding anything that would work. Dr. prescribed it as an add on to Lamictal, which is a slow-acting drug. I took Latuda at 5 PM and the next day I was feeling noticeably better. On my 3rd day and I feel better than yesterday. If all goes well, this could be a miracle drug for me, even though it's too soon to know. It's been months after a mania episode that I've wind-down to a depressed state, that is not severe but has been constant, where I can't even remember the path to a thought pattern that isn't guilty, hopeless, or without pleasure. I've regained a peace of mind required to get therapeutic learned skills"

Friendly Ways May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did not help depression and caused involuntary facial expressions even after stopping. Permanent... raised sugar diabetic???"

Anonymous May 14, 2017