User Reviews for Latuda

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This drug was a terrible experience for me. It worsened my depression and anxiety symptoms but one of the most unbearable parts was the restless leg syndrome. I couldn't sleep. I would lay awake for hours with the craziest feeling in my legs. Brain fog. I slowly was weaning off and then quit cold turkey because I wanted this OUT of my system! All in all, do NOT recommend."

MelissaLW November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible medication! It caused me to have medication induced akathesia! I experienced extreme restlessness and uncontrollable tics in my mouth. My legs would continue to jump up and down while sitting! My psychiatrist initially placed me on propranolol to stop these side effects and worked initially. Then, he had to increase the dosage because it came back. Eventually, he had to take me off propranolol and place me on cogentin (Benzotropine mesylate). Cogentin is used for Parkinson’s disease. That’s how bad it got! Never again!"

WillnBryant November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently diagnosed bipolar type 2 with mostly depression episodes. I was before on citalopram for 6 months after burning out in April. Latuda has really helps with the mood swings, I'm much more happy, social and productive. It's effect is almost instant. I'm on 10mg and will up to 20mg soon. The only negative effect I've experienced with Latuda is brain fog. It's been challenging for me as I am a university student. With Citalopram I would get straight As, study long periods and memorize 200 pages in 2 days. With Latuda, I have trouble memorizing a paragraph. I also tend to forget stuff. Psychiatrist says it will get better with time. Even tho I enjoyed Citalopram, I had terrible side effects. With Latuda, none. I finally feel normal."

Titeeve (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Recently started taking Latuda. At first, I started with 40mgs 7 days ago. Now I am at 80mgs for the first day...overly excited with positive apprehension because I'm excited about the outcome.... I have a positive outlook..."

nardie (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"There were negatives about this drug and I even put off taking it. I ended up starting it and as far as I can tell I have/had no side effects, I felt better quickly, I feel different. My racing mind had come back a little, as seroquel kept racing thoughts under control, I'm all but weaned off seroquel. And Latuda is good. Its been months, since I started Latuda and I don’t have a worry about taking it."

Koalamaiden (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love Latuda! I haven't felt this good in years. My Dr gave it to me for my depression. I really love how it gives me energy it also didnt take long to kick in. Problems I have with it: dead sex drive, vaginal problems, and anxiety. Make sure you take it at night so you can sleep through the anxiety. Literally take it right before you go to bed."

Elyse T October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on it the last time I was inpatient and they upped it too much too fast. I wound up being high off of it. When I got out of the hospital, my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I stopped cold turkey. I felt so much better once I got off of it."

quartzz22 (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had excellent results for my PTSD. I've been on and off one time previously. Took away fight/ flight anxiety, suicidal ideation, insomnia, and dissociation In just days. I started on 40 this time. Only side effect is some fatigue. I take it at night. When I needed to discontinue it 6 months ago due to cost, I didn't have any side effects other than mild passing headache. I also have Bipolar 2, and I went into a happy, productive hypomania after discontinuation. Thought I felt better too. But 5 months later I crashed. So, Back on the Latuda"

LemonB (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It worked great at 40mg, I had some slight tongue swelling, just thought I needed caffeine because that solved the issue. We upped it to 80mg after 3 years of being on it. Had to go to the hospital for a severe allergic reaction. I kept taking it at 40 but even then the allergic reactions were mild but still happening. Accidentally took it twice within 8 hours and was again taken to the hospital. Some ingredient in there I'm allergic too."

AGV September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took latuda for a little over a year and I had so many side effects. I was so tired all the time, I couldn't function at work and I was a cashier, my throat got smaller, I would gag brushing my teeth and I used to be able to take 3 pills at once without a problem. When I was on latuda I could barely swallow one and I still gagged. I had memory loss, weight gain. I was miserable and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realised that it was latuda. So, I got weaned off of it and I felt 10 million times better, I lost 50lbs since I've been off of it, I can function again, my memory is slowly coming back and I don't gag when I brush my teeth and I can swallow more than one pill without gagging."

Awat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on this med for 5 days and I feel FABULOUS!!! On my last 40 mg dose today & then upping to 80. It's been a year of hell on my antidepressants with cycling up & down. I call it the the roller coaster of emotions. My depression would only improve for a short time & then I crashed back down. I can't believe how amazing I feel in such a short amount of time. So thankful!!!!"

JJinTX (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on 20 mg of Latuda for bipolar and anxiety disorder. I felt the same as I always do during the first week of starting latuda. Then I upped it to 40 mg a week later and about an hour later I felt super tired , dizzy , confused , slow heart beat , and UN aware of what was going on around me. And to make it all worse I had trouble sleeping. But I felt so weak like I needed to sleep but couldn't. I'm unsure whether I should continue or discontinue it. Overall rating on this drug would be a 5. Those were terrible side effects and they hit me hard."

Annon11223 August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My psych started me on latuda about 6 days ago. I am 32 years old and have suffered from manic bipolar depression for many years. Also with a touch of OCD and severe anxiety. Before latuda I was on ativan for my anxiety. My Dr started me on 40 mg of Latuda and the obvious side effect of nausea did come. But its rather tolerable. My Dr told me there's a trick. Take it after dinner. After a couple days I have begun to get terrible restless leg syndrome. Talked to my Dr and he put me on klonopin to take 1 hour after latuda. Last night it didn't work. Overall, my mood is still wishy washy. I am however getting up and doing more. With my depression I haven't been active in sex with my husband as much neither. Let's hope that changes as well."

Crys4 August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Latuda for about 6 months for bipolar disorder. I was taking just Seroquel but had breakthrough anxiety and depression, so my psychiatrist added Latuda. It definitely has helped with my depression and anxiety. My big issue is I can only tolerate 10mg/day. Anything more than that and I have severe insomnia. Also, having to take it with 350 calories is a pain. I take it at lunch time. 10mg dose does not make me sleepy. I would warn anybody taking this medication to be careful when stopping it. I abruptly stopped it a few weeks ago and sunk into the worst, deepest, most God awful depression of my life. After a week, I started back on the Latuda and 6 days back on it, I'm feeling better."

AJ63 August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's been about 6 weeks on Latuda. During this time I experienced joint pain, severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have asked for advice from pharmacists, doctors and other sources. I have Ativan to help with the akathesia. Lamictal started helps with the panic and anxiety but helps the Latuda built up a wall between my brain and body. And Latuda - I can only sleep a couple hours each night. No drowsiness here. What I really want is to be titrated down to 20 mg and see if the side effects are negated. Otherwise looking towards seroquel...help!"

Janniekm (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Latuda was a great drug for me. The only side effect was it bothered my nerves while I slept. Another thing I HATE about this drug is the price. When I was on it for a month I was laughing, cracking jokes, just really happy. But since I can't afford it I'm on Geodon, and it works fine, I just don't have the happiness that Latuda gave me. When I was on Latuda I was also taking Lithium and Lamictal."

FSE August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not very effective for bipolar depression. Now in week 5 of taking med. Extremely expensive and relatively ineffective."

AEHJR (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Latuda didn't even come close to touching my bipolar depression. I kept waiting and waiting for it to work, but nothing happened. I ended up having a horrible depressive episode that almost got me hospitalized. Plus, I had to eat a 350 calorie snack with it, which was always difficult to figure out. On top of that, it would knock me out every night, which would be considered nice...if it didn't knock me out at 7-8pm."

bipolarbunny August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to take it at bedtime, but was getting nauseated. I switched to taking it with dinner and the nausea has subsided quite a bit. I've gained weight according to the scale, but that's due to constipation the last couple of weeks. My stomach is sticking out more, but I've actually lost a couple inches everywhere else since being on the meds. Constipation was already an issue for me, so I don't blame the meds for it. Overall, it's been great. I'm not angry all the time anymore, no more yelling or crying, no binge eating, etc. I'm a lot happier and more motivated to do anything and everything."

Anonymous35yoF July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this for anxiety and depression, it didn't help my depression, and it made my anxiety worse. It also made my jaws feel really sore, I was clenching them a lot( not something I normally do) and this just generally gave me an over all uneasy feeling, stopped taking it."

5150Aries (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Latuda in 2014 which was the first time I had ever heard of it. I was given it because of my horrible bipolar depression and auditory hallucinations I believe it was 60 or 80 mg. It worked really well. My depression was getting better and everything was going on the right path. Than I started hearing things again so they increased my dose to 120 mg. I never heard anything again. I was always very unmotivated and tired lifeless so to say. Then I moved states and they wouldn't give me the 120 mg so they put me on 80 mg. I was terrified voices would come back but they never did. I had energy, motivation to do things, it was awesome! I have tried multiple like abilify, seroquel, but those literally knock me out since I am not manic."

Shirie88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Glad works for some. I had nausea vomiting taking it with food. Panic attacks with racing heart rate which I've never had before. Muscle dyskinesia of jaw. What made it worse was because it wasn't helping my depression , my psych kept upping dose " to see" if that worked. Worse drug I've ever been on & hope your caretakers pay attention to your side effects."

Mcdele July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Latuda for nine weeks now. My first week was 20mg, second week 40 mg, third week 60mg, fourth week 80 mg, fifth week 90 mg, and sixth week 120 mg. I feel more upbeat. I don't worry like in the past about my job. I used to think people were saying things behind my back. I lost a few pounds. I am more focused, kind of like being on adderral. My dosage is at the sweetspot. I find I have to take it late before I go to sleep otherwise I will want to go to sleep. I use this in combination with Wellbutrin 300mg XL in the morning with one 450 mg of lithium and two 450 mg of lithium at night with the 120 mg of latuda. The prescription is expensive if you don't have insurance it is 1000 a month, otherwise with insurance its 75 mo."

Robertnyc July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on seroquel for quite some time and really liked it, but I didn't appreciate the small weight gain or my lack of desire to wake up in the morning. However, it stabilized my mood and gave me the best sleep of my life. My Dr suggested latuda, which I've been taking for about 5 months now at 60 mg. Latuda is also great at stabilizing my mood and no weight gain, but it makes me terribly sick. I'm very nauseous even when I have food in my stomach-sometimes to the point I'm sure I'm going to vomit. It even makes my teeth hurt initially. I want to love this medication as it is truly helpful in mood stabilization, but the induced sickness every time I take it is getting old."

Could be worse (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Latuda 40mg for nearly 1 month now. Diagnosed Bipolar II since I was in my mid forties. I am now 65 years old. So far this medication has been very effective. No depression for 3 weeks. No hypomania so far. Seroquel worked fairly well but not as well as Latuda. I have lost a few pounds since I started Latuda. I have recieved some samples and will purchase this drug from Canada due to the outrageous cost here in the USA. My Medicare copay is $450.00. In Canada I can get a 30 day supply for about $180.00. Otherwise I would have to take something else and likely much less effective. Latuda is a great medication for me but it is truly incredible and in a way evil that 30 tablets retails for $1200!"

Damien712 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2017