User Reviews for Latuda

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was prescribed Latuda for treatment resistant depression. I took it for around 6 months at different doses. It gave me energy. However, I felt a bit jittery at times. I hated having to eat a minimum of 350 calories with it when taking it before going to sleep. Other than giving me energy it did not alleviate any of my other depression symptoms."

VickyEE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2018

"Developed outbursts due to autism & puberty. On Latuda for only 7 days and developed jaw tic (not involuntary; more like “restless leg syndrome” of the jaw) Been off for 13 days and still have jaw movements. Permanent? Too soon to tell but not optimistic. I think this one should be contra-indicated for those who have had tics of the head or neck."

Multi-initial teen (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2018

"Been on Latuda for less than 4 weeks. The first week I felt my depression and anxiety symptoms lift. After that, I kept wondering why it felt like it was taking me so long to wake up in the morning. I am mentally exhausted, depressed and feel very restless. I started taking it at night but felt I was still feeling foggy and tired all day long. Not for me."

tris123 February 17, 2018

"I have tried every combo for my Bi polar Depression and manic. I have been on Latuda with my evening meal 40mgs and 10mg lexapro in the morning. I also take tegretol xr 400mg at night for an antimanic and this combination works amazing controlling impulse behavior, depression, and I do take buspar 10mgs twice a day to control anxiety levels. I have never felt better and I can enjoy life. The first 3 weeks were really rough but once you hit a month it's like a switch and everything started feeling normal again and I even go out of my way to join in on family/social events. It welcomes you back into life...give it a chance!!! It's worth it...and so are you."

Jared33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2018

"This medicine will change your life. Wait it out. There’s a certain adjustment period your brain needs. Don’t be hyper aware every time you take it, realize that’s just anxiety. Make sure you take it with at least 350 cal or it will not work. Sit back, relax, and don't listen to that voice in the back of your head telling you you’re not good enough."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

"Took Latuda for about six months. I've had every side effect. I gained 20 pounds, had awful nausea and heartburn. May help some people, but this med did not agree with me."

Blue_eyed_Ukrainian (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2018

"I cross tappered from risperdal to Latuda back in July and August. Noticed right away that I was more outgoing and motivated even though I wasn’t really depressed before. I got bad anxiety from it for about a month but I pushed through it. Stomach pain and upper back/rib discomfort. Went from 20 to 40 to 60. 60 was too much! Around Thanksgiving I had to put in an emergency call to my pdoc to lower back to 40 due to akisthisia. In December I started getting involuntary movements that I reported to my pdoc. He said we can wait and see! I made an appointment with a neurologist for a second opinion. This is by far the best med I’ve ever been on for mood but the side effects suck! I’m so torn on what to do next."

Lease235 January 17, 2018

"This was for my Depression/anxiety.I have tried a few medications and nothing seemed to be working for me. I’m on a Effexor, Concerta, low dose of seroquel and latuda just recently. I started at 20 mg but after a couple months my dr increased it to 40mg. With 20mg I was feeling pretty good, no side effects. I then had a bad week and was in the hospital and was then upped to 40mg. I can tell a huge difference in myself with the increase. Genuinely pretty happy but I had to switch my latuda to bedtime because it makes me extremely tired. The first week I was taking it in the morning and I had to leave work one day because I felt so unbelievably tired. I felt I was going to crash my car on the way home... definitely a powerful drug but when taken correctly it can do wonders."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2018

"I was put on this after Lamictal alone wasn’t cutting it for my mixed depression and hypomania episodes. I’m bipolar type 2. I got up to 60 mg and couldn’t handle the side effects: blurry vision, restless legs, dry mouth, irritability.... So I’m now back at 40 mg and that seems like the perfect dose for me; all side effects have subsided and I feel more stable."

th3scientist December 29, 2017

"Only made it to day twelve. I found myself restless every night. I could not hold still and my whole body tensed up. I would get angry then cry. I had to take a sleeping pill and fall asleep in order for it to stop. Last day it was so bad I could not drive home from work. I was scared, crying, unsure of my surroundings and thought I might need to go to the hospital. The next day I still feel the effects. It should be out of my system but my body aches and uncontrollable movements have not stopped. From someone who has taken many bipolar medications for 20 years this is the worst. Might have the least known side effects but stay away from it."

NytoTx December 27, 2017

"20mg & only made it 3 days. Day 1- cloud lifted. Appetite subsided. Day 2- couldn't sit still & kind of queasy, even with extra food. Appetite was practically gone (which, as a binge eater, was an amazing feeling). Day 3- compulsory restlessness; I literally had to be moving. The nausea, even with taking a meal, was too much to bear on day 3, which put me into a kind of medicated "funk", so there was no day 4... My Pdoc said nausea gets worse, so why bother with trying day four. Had been on Seroquel XR in past and dropped it because I was getting heart flutters where I had to catch my breath, and involuntary muscle movements. For 3 years it had worked wonderfully and I hate that I had to drop it."

Got my hopes up! (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

"I was suicidal constantly since age 15 and went through every medication possible. SSRIs made it worse, mood stabilizers did nothing, and the antipsychotics worked like magic. I gained a ton of weight and developed metabolic syndrome on every other antipsychotic but this one and have lost all the weight I gained from this journey to the right medicine. Of course I get nauseous sometimes but I think for most of us who make it to a drug like Latuda, that’s nothing compared to the benefit."

Sidekick55 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 19, 2017

"Horrible. Made me nauseous headache dizzy off balance extreme fatigue irritable crying depressed shaking anxious"

Phoo December 15, 2017

"No problems except for nervousness, but could be Pristiq med as well. No sex drive but optimistic things will clear up soon."

Hydeaway8767 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

"I was prescribed this for depression-off label, added 20mg to my Paroxetine. It seemed to help greatly with the depression, but I had to quit after 7 weeks due to Akathisia and extreme dry mouth. Dry mouth was so bad, I begun to get sores on the inside of my lips. I’m nervous about not taking it, because it helped a lot. My Doctor upped my Paroxetine when I quit the Latuda - I've got my fingers crossed!"

JJ120 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2017

"My husband was prescribed everything for bipolar disorder, and nothing worked; until Latuda. Sadly, not long after he began taking it he started having symptoms of tardive dyskinesia. We are desperately seeking an alternative. I’m not aware of any other medication like Latuda that won’t cause the same side effects. As far as the bipolar, it helped tremendously. He was healthier mentally than I’ve ever seen him. I hope another similar medication is or will be on the market."

Bipolarspouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2017

"I have been taking 120 mg of Latuda nightly for two months. For years I have been struggling with bi polar depression and schizophrenia. I haven't experienced any mania or depression since beginning this medication. I have been level, happy, genuinely happy even, productive, social, and calm. I haven't had any auditory or visual occurrences in weeks either. The downsides for me are lack of sex drive and it's become difficult to acheive orgasm. Otherwise it's a great medication. I highly recommend it."

LisaMiel1979 December 5, 2017

"Latuda basically saved my life. I was suicidal and swung between severe depression and wild mania. I've been on 80 mgs for about 3 months now and the only side effects I've had were sleepiness ( which is good because I had raging insomnia) and some anxiety. Dr gave me a script for low does Xanax and Ive never felt better!"

LizH (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

"I have been 20 years trying different medications and combinations of them. As with any medicine review what works well for someone may have the opposite effect for another. Latuda has literally given me my life back with such debilitating depression I was starting to give up hope! I knew within one week of starting Latuda that I had found the right medication for me."

AranB (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

"I have been on Latuda for a short period of time and I am curious if anyone has become super emotional on Latuda? I am bipolar and have been taking high doses of both Seroquel and Lamictal. My doctor didn't want to go any higher with either of the two and put me on a low dose of Latuda (20 mg.). I am so emotional. Way more than I normally am. I want to know if anyone else has had this issue and whether it tapered out? Thank you."

Buggaboo1000 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

"Love it , finally felt normal or what I think it means , only problem I have is the restless legs its much worse now that its been increased to 80mg , but I was fine on 60mg , my solution is to sponge my legs with cool water as it happens at night , helps a bit . Otherwise its the magic bullet for me."

Candyunicorn (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2017

"The first few days were fine and my mood was stable, then I started getting really bad restless leg syndrome. Someone else on here said feeling mentally exhausted and restless at the same time and I also experienced that. It was a very strange, uncomfortable feeling. Once I actually got to sleep after the restless leg and other issue, I slept really well on this drug. I won't take it anymore because of the mental exhaustion/restlessness is unbearable."

justgivingareview November 22, 2017

"This drug was a terrible experience for me. It worsened my depression and anxiety symptoms but one of the most unbearable parts was the restless leg syndrome. I couldn't sleep. I would lay awake for hours with the craziest feeling in my legs. Brain fog. I slowly was weaning off and then quit cold turkey because I wanted this OUT of my system! All in all, do NOT recommend."

MelissaLW November 15, 2017

"Horrible medication! It caused me to have medication induced akathesia! I experienced extreme restlessness and uncontrollable tics in my mouth. My legs would continue to jump up and down while sitting! My psychiatrist initially placed me on propranolol to stop these side effects and worked initially. Then, he had to increase the dosage because it came back. Eventually, he had to take me off propranolol and place me on cogentin (Benzotropine mesylate). Cogentin is used for Parkinson’s disease. That’s how bad it got! Never again!"

WillnBryant November 15, 2017

"I was recently diagnosed bipolar type 2 with mostly depression episodes. I was before on citalopram for 6 months after burning out in April. Latuda has really helps with the mood swings, I'm much more happy, social and productive. It's effect is almost instant. I'm on 10mg and will up to 20mg soon. The only negative effect I've experienced with Latuda is brain fog. It's been challenging for me as I am a university student. With Citalopram I would get straight As, study long periods and memorize 200 pages in 2 days. With Latuda, I have trouble memorizing a paragraph. I also tend to forget stuff. Psychiatrist says it will get better with time. Even tho I enjoyed Citalopram, I had terrible side effects. With Latuda, none. I finally feel normal."

Titeeve (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017