User Reviews for Latuda

Learn more about Latuda.

Latuda Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Latuda to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Relieved symptoms of severe depression but caused terrible, debilitating dry eyes. I have mild dry eye disease under normal circumstances, and dry eyes are *not* listed as a side effect for Latuda. It got to the point though where I was unable to do anything because of my dry eye discomfort. I got severely tense and anxious, which kind of negated any positive effect from the Latuda. So, we stopped it, and my dry eyes went away."

Charlie Hondo (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm hoping my comments reaches out to those who like me gave up on medication time and time again as it affected their work outs. As a long distance runner and someone suffering from years of major PTSD and Anxiety, it was nearly impossible to have the stamina to run while on meds. I'd have to grin and bear the struggles of my PTSD without meds during my years of marathon training. Cymbalta and Latuda have been the perfect combination for me. Though Latuda is more for Bi-Polar, it has helped many people with PTSD, like myself. I have no weight gain and I have plenty of stamina to do my running. I'm so grateful to God and my doctor for finding the best program for me. If you're an athlete, help is out there."

SoCalPhilly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Latuda was horrible in my case. I was so wound up I couldn't sleep or sit down. I had what felt like all day long panic and even a Xanax didn't stop it. I was sweating and hyperventilating and felt a constant choking sensation I think from panicking. This is my experience it may be someone else's miracle drug. It did ease the depression and mood swings but the side effects were not worth it. On the plus side I gave it a 3 because I was never hungry and dropped 20 pounds."

Sunflower1985 March 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"While some give high ratings, I cannot. Within a week of starting it, it gave me what seemed like full-day long panic attacks and I wept for hours. I would later find out it was akathisia which wreaked havoc on my anxiety and paranoia. Not for me!"

BiPolarExpress (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on latuda for two years. I increased the first time and slept like a baby (I had terrible insomnia and nightmares on 20 mg). I just increased my dose to 60 mg and now I'm back to waking up every single night at 3:00 am and feel wide awake. I also have very vivid dreams on this med. However, it controls my symptoms so well that I won't stop taking it. It is the only medication in its class that works for me. I miss sleeping well, but the benefits outweigh the risks for me. Just in case anyone is wondering, when it's combined with gabapentin at night, I have no trouble sleeping, so I'll definitely add that back into the mix."

Kawaw (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med had saved my life!!! I was addicted to heroin and xanax trying to always self medicate the effects of bipolar. I tried so many meds and had so many dangerous side effects like a bad rash from lamictal and muscles locking up from 3 other meds and had to get rushed to the hospital to get Benadryl shots. Ever since I've been on this I feel like I did when I was a kid very free and level, no crazy obsessive thoughts or cravings. I have not had a drug craving at all, nor do I want anything to do with drugs bc now that my mind is clear and balanced I have no use for them . This med definitely is the main thing helping me stay sober and it saved me from myself and my thoughts!!!!!"

Jay-12-29-1990 February 28, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the best drug I have taken for bipolar. I took many drugs for bipolar and this one seems to be the only one to work. Zero side effect medication. It's like haldol, but without side affects. Take it, trust me. It's great for bipolar. Decreases your appetite, unlike other medication. You will lose weight and sleep well. Start off at a high dose, because lower doses don't affect you well enough. I'm 25 in June and definitely, highly, recommend this medication for anyone with any type of bipolar."

Jungrfau maria February 26, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on two AAPs for my bipolar. Zyprexa which handles my anger, and Latuda which helps my intrusive thoughts. I have only been on it for a little over a month. Was on 40mg, was convinced that it wasn't doing anything for me and told my psych I wanted to come off of it. She tapered me down to 20mg for a week and was supposed to stop after that. After reducing down to 20mg the intrusive thoughts returned. I went back to my old ways of blockading my front door out of fear of an intruder, and not leaving my apt at night (zero rational reasoning for my actions). Called my dr and went back up to 40mg as of today. Will not be quitting."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After being on seroquel and then shortly zyprexa I was put on latuda 40 mg. It gave me a lot of anxiety and strong restless feelings so I dropped to 20 mg and it helped. I've since gone back up to 40 mg because 20 wasn't helping all my symptoms. It helps a lot with suicidal thoughts and negative obsessive thoughts and I've noticed I've lost weight on it. The anxiety can be kinda unbearable at times but in the overall scheme it seems to be worth it. I would go up to a higher dose but my insurance won't cover it. I take it at night with something to eat and if I do have uncomfortable feelings they go away within a couple hours. Overall I would say it's a pretty good med but be careful because it is pretty potent even at low doses."

Brian8511 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"my doctor gave me latuda because I wanted to stop zyprexa and seroquel because of the weight gain. She told me that latuda doesn't cause weight gain. I took 40mg and it seem to work pretty well it wasn't as great as zyprexa but it worked well........but I had to stop because even though my insurance covered the drugs, the copay cost me $500 which I obviously cannot afford. So am going cold turkey on everything.....why cant I just be normal?"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug is very affective but the side effects are kinda crappy!!! I would get stiffness in my neck and spasms in my back that were hard to deal with."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication should not be being prescribed for Bipolar 2, a milder form of a different illness, called Biploar 1, for which this medication works very well. Folks, Doctors NEED to be using SCIENCE to treat illnesses, not giving out random prescriptions for 2+ medications for 1 illness. If your Doctor is not doing monthly blood tests AT LEAST to see how the medications are affecting your body chemistry and serotonin levels, then you need to fire the Doctor and find one who does do his/her job the right way, and who is good at the science part of the job. Every medication you take counteracts and interacts with the other medications and the foods and other things that you put into your body each day messing with the chemistry of your body"

AspirationsWScom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have type 2 BP along with many other things and I do say I love this RX. It helped me out for a very long time one of the first and few. However I did feel very dulled emotionally. I was on 140mg daily but any does lower did not work. I could not even cry unless something absolutely tragic (Ie. Death or someone I loved getting hurt) happened in my life. Also I hated having to take it with food. I constantly had an upset stomach as I could never seem to get eating and taking the med right. So all in all I took myself off from the med and the withdrawls from it were hell. For about two weeks I felt like I was dying. So as a conclusion; this med does work and work well if you like being a robot who vomits."

MissManicDepressive (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on it for 1.2 weeks. started at 20 and now up to 40 mg. I was so scared to try this medicine because unfortunately I have a side effect to just about every anti-psychotic except Seroquel. They tend to make my eyes roll back I can bring them down to look at you but then they stay stuck up. Not even Cogentin helps. I am so excited because this has not happened with the Latuda yet. I am down 6.4 pounds. And I feel great. My appetite is very curb. Unfortunately my first week I had a lot of anxiety. And one very bad day. But all of that has seemed to subside. My stomach has been upset... But I'm willing to take the bad... Because I'm getting so much good"

Stevie P (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Latuda is the first antipsychotic I've taken, and I have to say it works. Yeah nausea sets in if you don't eat with it but it's been pretty fine. Started with 20 MG for the past 6 months, and auditory hallucinations diminished at least 90%. Anxiety about 60% which is why I'm looking to up my dosage to 40mg along with upping my zoloft dosage to 100mg.But with any medicine there are side effects and diarrhea is an issue with this medication. So, with my uptake in dosage hopefully I'll be all the way me again."

Filthead (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have experienced some side effects otherwise I would rate this as a 10. Watch what you eat and pick the right time to take it. The first few days I had side effects that lasted for a few hours. After the side effects wore off, I felt amazing. I have Bipolar Depression that I feel is very bad. Most people think I am ok. However, there is so much going on in my head all the time. Latuda has helped me to feel good and stay focused. I am able to have more control over my life. I have tried different meds and this one has worked well for me. I have taken it and night, but switched to the day due to sleep issues. Sleep issues are better now."

Apolar January 20, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been on Seroquel since 1997 and had gained a lot of weight. I also had the side effects of type 2 diabetes, high cholestoral, etc. from taking it so long. But Seroquel worked for me. So in an effort to loose weight and the "bad" side effects I switched to Latuda. Lutuda didn't do squat for me in the sleep department, so I ended up taking a half pill of Seroquel and a dose of Latuda. This worked well for about a year. I lost a ton of weight and my overall health improved. However, I slipped into a major depressive episode in less than a year and had to go back to the "tried and true" Seroquel. Feeling better, but gained back a lot of weight. Never thought a drug marketed for BP depression would make me depressed."

Bipolar since 95 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I recently started taking Latuda and couldn't be more please with it. For many years I have been struggling psychologically, have been on variety of different depression medication that offer no help or even worsen my symptoms. I been diagnosed with PTSD, Chronic Depression in 2008, and 2015 also diagnosed with Bipolar. I am quite disappointed that I wasn't introduced to Latuda earlier. Latuda has enhanced the quality of my life in so many great ways. Not only that I feel better and happier, I am a better mother and a girlfriend. Latuda not only help with Bipolar, but it addressed all my mental problems. I am finally able to feel normal and have a normal life!"

Nastasia R January 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Developed memory loss, (MMSE 16/30) , developed total body neuralgia, developed instability, developed cogging (regitity of muscle tone), developed Parkinsonian symptoms,"

Ramfl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on Latuda, the side effects are very irritating and scary! This time my RIGHT leg has that very unbearable (hard to explain) feeling, I fell asleep a lot at work, right in the middle of me writing something, I stumbled around and thinking it will be better if I took it at night, it WASN'T! I woke up at 1am, having EXTREME panic attacks, overthinking EVERYTHING and just have these terrible, horrifying thoughts! I got outta bed and slipped, fell down the stairs and hurt my arm and knee! I also drooled a lot and had no appetite for 3 months!! But on the other side, it makes me calmer/happier and confident about things, but I can't stand the side effects!!"

WORST SIDE EFFECTS!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on latuda for about two months. I had been taking Risperdal and Lamictal for years and while I was getting by I wasn't in such a great mood often. Shortly after taking this I noticed I felt much happier and my therapist and girlfriend both said I seem less inhibited and in a better mood. It's not like I'm manic and I don't feel like the happiness is some artificial shot in the arm. I'm perfectly lucid and at peace with things most of the time. That all being said I also have more frequent mood swings. The swings aren't as bad as when I'm off meds, but I do feel pretty down about 10 to 20 times a month with episodes lasting various amounts of time. I'm currently taking 20mg latuda and 300mg Lamictal."

Squeezins (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with bi polar in 12/28/2015.. It has been very hard from then until now. I first was on lithium it didn't work for me. I was still maniac. I switched doctors and was put on lithium. My doctor called it the Mercedes of meds.. So I went with it. It took 4 months to see a difference.. I had to takes meds faithfully. 9 months and Latuda has changed my life. I did gain weight. Now I'm working out on getting it off.."

Franchon January 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has literally been a life saver. I tried to taper off it twice and my mood became very volatile, that resolved once I went back on it. Latuda in combination with lamotrigine has improved my quality of life immensely."

Winnebago (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 3.5 years ago. Initially, I took Lamictal and Saphris for one year. Saphris made me too drowsy too often, so now I take Lamictal and Latuda (60mg). I recommend taking Latuda at night with food. If I take it in the morning or during the day, I get very restless and can't still still or focus on anything. I have no problems if I take it right before bed with a snack."

Redrobin24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started latuda after being on abilify since 2004. I was taken off abilify because I began vomiting every day and had severe rashes after being on the drug for about twelve years. Latuda is HORRIBLE! Mind you, I haven't actually had a serious psychiatrist sit down and actually understand my symptoms or who I am in about five years... seems as if that is non existent in my region or something now? I developed severe migraines on latuda, and have had more frequent seizures on this medication. The doctor I have seen ONE time this entire year doesn't want to work with me even though he even noticed I am extremely agitated and annoyed ALL the time on this medication. I used to be very calm and easy going; however, now everything irritates me."

BiPolarBareHart (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016