User Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

Saphris has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 202 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Saphris Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris

Jordy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2019

“I have Bipolar 1. I am currently taking 1500mg of lithium, 300mg of lamictal, and 10mg of Saphris. Since starting Saphris my paranoia has decreased, I’m not distracted with deluded thinking. I sleep much better, have quit smoking cigarettes, and I’m exercising 4 days a week at the gym. I haven’t had any side effects. I also regularly see my psychiatrist and psychologist.”

Anonymous March 1, 2010

“Been on Saphris for about two months. Taste is bad but the benefits of medicine far outway that. Only side effect is slight numbness in mouth after taking pill but that goes away after about 30 minutes. No other side effects. Racing thoughts, shadows, voices, have now disappeared. First time that has happened in years. Have been able to decrease dosages of other medicines and wean off some all together. So far it has been a miracle drug for me. Feel better now than I ever have.”

that1hippiechick · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2014

“I have bipolar1, general & social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder. I've been on pretty much everything over the last 14 years. Seroquel worked well for over a year but the weight gain was awful. Regular exercise and healthy eating. Lithium and Lamictal replaced the Seroquel and seemed efficient, couldn't handle the nausea anymore after 2 yrs. 5 weeks ago I decided I wanted try Saphris. Psych agreed, decided to start low and slow as I tend to have allergic or increased anxiety with most medicines. Started on 2.5mg for a week. I literally felt better the next morning. I had increased energy and felt happy for the first time in over 10yrs. I'm up to 5mg pm, 2.5mg am. Anxiety decreased, and down to 1.5mg of Klonopin daily from 3mg. This is a miracle for me! ”

viperman1029 April 3, 2010

“I have been severely depressed for six years after coming off my medications in May 2006, due to a bad manic episode. I have tried so many medicines, even the ones that worked before. Nothing could get me out of the dark hole I was in. I went to my Doctor and told him I wanted to try ECT therapy because I was suicidal. He set it up, but asked me to try a new medicine (Saphris) in the mean time. I was willing to try anything. He placed me on 5mg at night, and told me it would probably allow me to eliminate the Ambien for sleep problems. Man, did it. My wife noticed a difference in my mood the next day. I have been on it now for two weeks, and cross my fingers I have not felt this good for twelve years.”

LJ Arizona · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2014

“I have been on Saphris for nine months. I am taking 20 mg at night. I find the medication puts me to sleep 10-15 minutes after taking my dosage. If I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I stumble around in a daze. After sleeping 9-10 hours, I wake up feeling refreshed. I also take Lamotrigine and Sertraline. To manage anxiety, I take Lorazepam as needed. It took me several months to see the full benefits. Today, I am under control. No suicidal thoughts. No aggressive behavior. I am no longer having the delusions that people are out to get me and/or I am being followed. Best of all the medication did not throw me into depression. I still have problems when I become overwhelmed or in a busy environment.”

Anonymous May 20, 2010

“I have been on many Bipolar medicines, Lamictal, Seroquel, Geodon, lithium, also Xanax to help me sleep. I have been on Saphris for one week and started feeling better the next day. I will admit it tastes terrible, but my doctor told me the trick is to take a sweet tart with it, and it isn't so bad. Works for me. My dosage has gone from 5mg to 10 mg, but I'm getting the best sleep I've ever had except for some strange dreams, but I cant complain. The benefits outweigh the taste and dreams any day. I highly recommend this medicine (and a sweet tart!).”

Scorpionis · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2014

“I started Saphris after experiencing some episodes of violent anger as a result of mixed episodes of my bipolar disorder. There was an almost immediate lessening of symptoms, making me feel calmer right away. I have experienced almost no side effects from the medicine other than occasional sleepiness, but nothing debilitating. I had little or no weight gain, which made me very happy. It also has a lower incidence of causing cholesterol and blood sugar issues than many other AAPs. I find Saphris very helpful for both the immediate treatment of a breakthrough mixed/manic episode as well as for daily maintenance.”

bipolar12345 March 10, 2015

“I take a low dose of Saphris (5 mg). My experience with this medicine is simply incredible. It makes me feel so "zen" and happy, it's a feeling difficult to describe. I used to take clonazepam, but it never made me feel that great. Another good point is that it helps going to sleep, but waking up is easy (not like Seroquel and Zyprexa!!)”

HappyToBeHere · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2018

“First things first, I love this drug! I started out on 2.5 mg and the first time I took it, I actually sat down. And I was able to sit with family and have a conversation, rather than go be in my room to talk with my fantasy world. The first problem that appeared was ankle pain. I’m still unsure if that was the medicine or I actually had injured my ankles, but it went away once I was given 5mg. This medicine makes me feel in control of my emotions, and has actually helped me to feel a bit more organized. The side effects that I have seen is mainly the drowsiness, numb tongue, and weird dreams. Like, really weird dreams. The taste is a bit nasty, but you get used to it quick. I really enjoy this drug and it’s not only me that has noticed a change. It’s my family too, they were originally a bit wary about me going on an antipsychotic, but now they’re glad I did. For me, it’s a miracle drug.”

Maya K July 2, 2013

“I have tried so many medications for my numerous manic episodes and nothing even came close to the benefits I have experienced with Saphris. It reduced my anxiety and agitation profoundly. I have not had another episode after being on Saphris for over six months. I have an overall sense of well being and much more functional. I've lost 50lbs after being on Zyprexa. Saphris is a wonderful medicine and has given me hope and I am slowly rebuilding my life. It might taste really bad but it is all worth it.”

Gary Hava June 17, 2013

“You have to be aware of the positives and negatives of any medicine you take. Even Tylenol. I have found that Saphris has worked pretty well despite a few side effects that I've learned to live with. My doc tried me on Latuda first because I was a bit concerned with taking something sublingually. I should have tried Saphris first. Latuda had me wanting to jump out of my skin and made me want to eat all of the time. I gained 50 pounds in the six months I was on Latuda and have lost all but 7lbs on Saphris. I don't mind the numb tongue because it goes away. I am even used to the taste now. Overall Saphris gave me my life back.”

Stéphanie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2021

“Currently on 5 mg at night. Best medication so far. Have try risperidone (ptd), invega (weight gain) and latuda (bad anxiety). Only 3 lbs of weight gain...not sure if it's the pandemic or the saphris. The only "side" effect I experienced it the sedative side. It put you right to sleep in 15 minutes which I like ! I wake up after 9 hours sleep without alarm feeling refresh. It tastes bad but I really don't care for the first time of my life I feel good! You should try it”

Seismic One · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 20, 2019

“Yes, Saphris allowed me to finally sleep at night. But after having taken the drug for 2 or 3 years, my speech had become so distorted that I was virtually impossible to understand. Thinking that I may have had a minor stroke (I was in my early 50s at the time), I went to see a neurologist. He is the one who asked me if I were taking any antipsychotic drugs, and told me he believed that I had developed tardive dyskinesia in my tongue from the saphris. I was compulsively moving my tongue constantly within my mouth, and it had destroyed my ability to speak coherently. I immediately stopped the Saphris, then spent the next year diligently and constantly training my tongue to stay put and stay relaxed. My speech is nearly perfect again, with just a very mild lisp that no one but me can hear. But I still spend every moment of every day monitoring where my tongue is, if it’s relaxed, and making sure that it’s not moving. And I’ll be doing that every day for the rest of my life.”

sunlight_starbright June 3, 2010

“I have been on a truck-load of different medicines to treat Bipolar, Lamictal, Depakote, Lithium, Seroquel, Symbyax, Abilify...just to name a few. Started taking this 10mg/before bed, last week. This does taste horrible, but doesn't cause nausea and vomiting and I'm real sensitive to taste. It makes my tongue go numb for about 30 minutes and during that time I get the munchies really bad. While I'm trying not to eat the house down my mood elevates. I've been getting to sleep a lot easier and staying asleep better. As a whole, I'm feeling better than I have in a long time. Really hoping this medicine works on the long-term for me as I'm tired of trying different ones.”

sadmd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 20, 2013

“I love this medicine. I have Bipolar 2 and post traumatic stress disorder. I have been on this medicine for 9 months. It puts me to sleep about 15 mins after taking it. I have lost 35 pounds (I had gained 50 pounds on Lamictal and Abilify) I am off the Lamictal. I have been able to stay out of the hospital. I feel better overall. I am trying taking 1 course in college and may even try to work again.”

Anon434343 February 9, 2014

“Saphris is the best bi-polar medication I have taken. I sleep the best I ever had on Saphris and do not experience manic out bursts. Other bi-polar medications made me gain weight. On other medications I have gained 30 lbs in a short time frame. On Saphris, I haven't gained any weight and weigh a few pounds less than I did before I started to take Saphris.”

9 year old boy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2018

“My son has Autism and Bi polar disorder and had intense violent rages and breakdowns almost constantly. He didn't know how to interact with peers, he saw himself as superior to all and totally disconnected from reality. He would stay awake head banging every night. He had huge bags under his eyes and we tried everything we could to get him to sleep. He never slept through the night, and when he was an infant all he did was cry. He is nine now and has been on Saphris for about a year and a half. He is a different person. He was different the first day. He is actually loving towards me and family members and at least tries to interact with other kids. It is a godsend. He now sleeps 10 hrs”

Stay strong · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2019

“I would really recommend this medication because I’ve tried almost every anti psychotic medication and I’ve never been able to stabilize my mood until I found this medication. The only side effect I get from this medication is twitching on my toes but it goes away a few minutes later. I’ve had worst side effects from Latuda which was making me sedated and giving me milk from my breasts and I wasn’t even pregnant. I really like this medication because it also helps me with sleep and without it I over think a lot at night. My mood has definitely improved with this medication I’ve been taking it for 4 years and it’s worked. I’ve only had to increase the dosage 2 times unlike other medications where I constantly have to increase the dosage.”

Twightman91 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2014

“I had been taking Saphris 10mg at bedtime for well over a year and then suddenly stopped taking it for a month to see how I would feel. In this month I was a wreck and had racing thoughts and couldn't fall asleep until 2am and would be up 6 hours later. I also found myself fantasizing about stuff and being unrealistic about things. I started taking it again close to a month ago and I really see how much it helps me. The only downside is that I sleep over 11 hours now and I get into such a deep sleep without waking up once.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2014

“I take 3/4 of a 5mg Saphris and 200mg Epilim which helps to take the edge off of my anxiety and depression. I felt a difference within days of taking my first dose, like I could breathe again and didn't have the weight of the world on my shoulders. What I will say though is that medication is never the complete answer. My medicines have allowed me to get to a stable enough place where I am able to deal with the underlying issues causing my depression and anxiety. Does help me feel more comfortable in my own skin.”

Debmas · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2013

“I have Bipolar I with some psychotic episodes in the past. I used to be on Abilify, but I had weight gain and shaking of my hands. Saphris has been wonderful for me. I used to take Ambien because I couldn't sleep, but with Saphris I fall asleep within 10-15 minutes. I only take 5mg at night. I don't take it in the morning because of how sleepy it makes me. I've also tried 10mg at night and that worked well too. As for the flavor, I have to have the black cherry. I couldn't stand the original, mint, I think it was. I feel great and would definitely recommend it.”

Finally free of Bp2 September 11, 2017

“Amazing drug when combined with lexapro ( for my depressive side ). To say it has changed my life, saved my marriage and made me a better father is a sheer undersell of this medicine. I'm bipolar 2 with mixed episodes (Dysphoric). I'm no longer filled with rage over nothing, irritable , or depressed. It has thus far been the magic bullet for me, after trying about 6 other combinations. It's allowing me to be present in my own life without constantly overthinking or having racing and repeating thoughts. Having a clear mind is allowing me the freedom to be the man I always knew I was. There's a lot of horror stories on here but just remember when you find the right medication. Its worth it.”

Bipolar Bob · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2015

“I'm Bipolar 1 Rapid Cycling & also have ADD; this medication saved my life. I have been on it for a year now (along with a cocktail of others, I am BP 1, let's be realistic) titrating from 5 mg to 30 mg all at night. I was in constant mixed states, I couldn't control my impulses, my anxiety and paranoia were through the roof and I was unemployed - leaving the house, let alone working wasn't an option. I work fulltime now in a professional environment, back on my career track. My mood is stable, and for once in my 15 year diagnosis I can say I'm stable. Side effects take time to pass, and some never go away, for me, its AM daily muscle pain for 90 mins. I haven't been able to touch a drop of liquor, not even a sip of beer; I prefer sanity.”

Bullwinkle57 December 3, 2010

“I've been Bi polar for over 20 years and have tried practically every mood stabilizer and antidepressant there is and some would work for awhile then poop out. Saphris is like a miracle medicine. I don't feel depressed, I have more energy and motivation and my moods are stable. I take one 10 mg tab at bedtime and wake up the next morning feeling alive and ready for the day. I would encourage anyone who is suffering from bipolar depression and mood swings to give this medicine a try. You won't be disappointed. One caveat though is without insurance it is very expensive.”

Andrew The Great · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2015

“Been on Saphris for almost a year. Have tried almost all of the others except for Latuda. My experience is that I have had the best dreams and put on the least amount of weight on this medicine. Also, not nearly as drowsy.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder