User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I started taking this at 5mg for bipolar disorder. Firstly, the wafer I had to put under my tongue was horrendous! The taste can only be described as the taste of poison. It made my tongue numb. It made me extremely drowsy but it was hard to sleep because I had almost a painful restlessness in my legs so felt I couldn't stop moving yet I was so tired. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. This drug, an anti-psychotic MADE me psychotic. It dramatically changed my personally from the moment I took it. I became aggressive and angry at everyone. If I'd had a higher dose, i think I could have become homicidal. This was a terrible drug for me so I didn't last on it long at all, it was just too dangerous for me."

Ozrach10 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

"Have been on and off Saphris several times. For me, being on Saphris is like turning a light switch on. I go from being manic/depressed to functioning like a normal human. But.... the side effects have made me quit several times - irregular heartbeat, fainting, nausea, etc. Now back on at a low dose with Lamictal and clonezepam for panic disorder. Feel pretty good. Hope it will last. Without Saphris, I am non-functional - so doing my best to manage the side effects while getting the benefits of this medication. Best of luck to all."

Lunabee77 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2016

"I have been taking this med for years and I feel trapped. I don't think it really does anything for me. The problem is that I tried to stop taking it and I became completely useless, tired, irritable, and full of anxiety. Right now I have not taken it for two days because I forgot it before I went out of town. I am tired, got insomnia and I feel like I am hung over and nauseous. The withdrawals from taking this medication is awful. So I think anyone that wants to start this med should seriously consider this when making a decision to ingest this. I am not the only one who has experienced this. There is a lot about withdrawing from this med on the net."

831 November 30, 2016

"Bad experience causes extreme restless leg syndrome and back aches, taste horrible also , only been on 20 mgs a day for 3 weeks so hopefully not much withdrawals I'm stopping cold turkey as I need my sleep gonna dry bendryl as I think its a allergic reaction. Would never take again."

cookie 1234 November 17, 2016

"Helpful BUT it tastes TERRIBLE I absolutely hate the taste I would rather receive it through an injection than how I have to take it but my psychiatrist told me that it is okay to swallow it with a drink instead of the manufacturer directions also it is kind of like false advertising because it says that it tastes like black cherry but it does NOT at all when I was 5 I accidentally ate a small amount of poop and from what I remember it tastes almost exactly the same."

Aerh (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2016

"I'm currently on Saphris, I just starting working for the first time in 3 years. Ive been on Saphris about 10 months. 2 days ago I woke up and had white canker sores in my mouth, tingling lips. This drug is so great, can take it and wake up 6 hours later and not feel tired all day."

Pratt93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2016

"A side effect of this medication for me was tardive dyskinesia."

Gizmo298 October 10, 2016

"I am the mother of an adult son that has been taking this medicine for over 2 years. It has done wonders !!! He has remained stable on this medicine. He takes 2 10 mg doses at night with trazadone, lamictle, welbutrin and valium. Right after taking his meds he does get the munchies and right after he is asleep - He functions very well during the day - is attending college full time going for his bachlors - Because he has done so well he was determined no longer disabled and lost his health insurance - the cost of this out of pocket her in VA is 1300.00. He has applied for the assistance program and we are hoping - he doctor did give him samples and he is good for at least 2 months - if not maybe I will check into a Canadian pharmacy"

Jisduit October 6, 2016

"I have Bipolar II and I couldn't sleep and was suffering from mania and cutting. It helped with all of that. I could fall asleep in 10 minutes which was a god send. I went through the pharmacutic patient assistance program to get it free because it cost me $200 a month. After taking it for a while I noticed it was causing neurological problems in the form of foot drop. I constantly tripped and fell and had to wear a bulky brace on my foot. I came of of saphris during a manic episode and noticed that my foot healed. Saphris is good in some was but bad in others."

Andrea the cutter September 21, 2016

"I had tried many medications to level out my bipolar disorder and relieve my GAD and it seemed that when I would get one symptom straight one of the others would reappear. Years it took, eventually my doc decided to try something new when the depression hit and nothing seemed to be helping. So I started trileptal, which helped noticeably but I wasn't sleeping so he recommended saphris to help me sleep, I was a little apprehensive but desired to feel better so I agreed to try it. I am beyond satisfied with it. I feel better than I have been in as long as I remember. I am back in school full time and working full time without the edginess if mania. I feel like myself again. My friends and family have commented on how well I seem to be."

Lovajule (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

"Have been on Saphris, Trileptal, and Effexor for about 3 years now for Bi-Polar disorder and depression. I take 5mg of Saphris before bed and I can only sleep about 2 hours if I miss a dose of Saphris. Otherwise, I sleep about 9 hours of deep and restful sleep. I do not function well. Not sure which drug is responsible, but I have issues with focusing and memory that I never had before. I still have thoughts of suicide almost daily, but this is the best I've functioned on any drug and I've been on them all except Lithium."

48 yr old male (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2016

"This drug was an experience in itself. The 1st night I got the restless legs syndrome and kept getting out of bed to go to the bathroom because I had this urge to urinate but... when I got there, couldn't. Then, the next day in the morning I felt whacked. Stoned. Then, I'd pick up after breakfast and my mind would race. I'd become manic. Which was enjoyable. Like an uber high. That bit was good. But kinda defeats the purpose ... so goodbye Saphris."

BrizeVegasGal (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"Taken by teen with schizoaffective disorder. 5mg didn't work so well, gradually increased to 15mg and then medication worked wonders. Happy, stable mood, very little side effects after three months. Diminished irritability and aggression. More friendly and overall happier."

JMSS July 18, 2016

"I was put on 2.5 mg every night of saphris, about 2 weeks ago. It has been utter hell for me. Not only Did it make my tactile hallucinations worse, it caused more problems than before. I've had to go to the ER. I'm more agitated than before. I'm bipolar. Isn't this a bipolar med? I'm not schizophrenic. And what's worse is that even though I'm on the lowest possible dose and only taking once a day, after stopping it IM STILL GETTING WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS! And not small ones. Like I said before I had to go to the ER. I'm drinking a lot of water but I still had a extremely low amount of electrolytes. I ended up using two full bags of fluid. This drug is not safe. It does more harm than good."

Bipolar penguin (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

"Used it for six weeks. Cluster headaches, Not able to sleep. Foggy all day from lack of sleep. Mind raced 1000 miles per hour. bm several times a day. muscle cramps in feet dosage 5 mg to start 2 days 10 mg 2 days 15 mg on day 5 at night.this went on for 6 weeks doctor saying it would get better. it didn't. finely stopped and went back to depakote. I can live with the small tremors. back to being able to sleep no headache"

D Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016

"Bipolar II with severe anxiety. Saphris is doesn't work for most people but for the ones it does work for, it can be a life changing miracle drug. That's been my experience. I spent 10 years either so depressed or anxious that I could barely get out of bed. I took my first dose at bedtime and when I woke up the next mrning the anxiety was gone. It gave me my life back. I take the whole daily dose at night. It knocks me out cold for at least 3 hours and I can't function at alI if take it in the morning. I had horrible mouth sores.Finally figured out that it was from the dry mouth caused by my other meds. Now I take a sip of water first and after it dissolves, I suck on a caramel or a couple of pieces of candy. "

Deep Hein May 31, 2016

"Bad drug I wonder If all the good reviews on the internet was written by the Company behind it ...first i took 5mg X2 The morning dose made me sleepy at the point that I can't stay awake for 5 minutes...Now I take 10mg at night It makes me sleep for 12 hours (Can't wake up) & gave me Flat affect- totally impaired Thinking- Loss Of hope in life - Suicidal thoughts -Problems in tongue & Talking ( bec. Its sublingual) ...Horrible Drug & Don't Believe All the good reviews you read !"

HSog May 31, 2016

"I was diagnosed with bipolar in 2007 PTSD borderline personality disorder,panic attack anxiety I was taking abilify,carbamazepine my doctor took me off those and put me on olanzapine but than my legs & ankles started swelling so they took off that than my doctor wanted me to try Seroquel I really didn't want to try that because you become a zombie well I never got that drug instead I got saphtis but I'm having side-effects my legs,feet,ankles feels like my whole body swelling ankles,I'm itchy as well I don't know what the rash looks like is welts like mosquito bites or just hives? I'm not sure if I should stop taking it that will be sad if I have stop taking it because it really works for me other than I have insomnia and the swelling."

Lovepeguin May 2, 2016

"Love it! This medication can have a tough adjustment period. But I took 1tsp of Benadryl with it at night and that helped me adjust. As long as you don't have symptoms of allergic reaction then my advice is hang in there. Saphris is by far the best medicine! I now take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night with zero side effects. This med has made all my anxiety and paranoia associated with mania dissappear! I have been using free samples so far but the cost will be worth my health and sanity!"

40 yrs old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

"Just took for my first time and instantly made my head, throat ,chest and stomach hurt my chest still hurt and it's Been over the ten minutes and my tongue is still numb I wish I could get my depikote back all these other meds are going to kill me"

jay wins April 9, 2016

"I've been on Seroquel for 6 yrs and have had nightmares the whole time. I switched to Saphris 4 days ago, 5 mg morning and night plus 112.5 mg Effexor. I'm amazed at waking up early in the morning after 8 hrs sleep on Saphris where I've been sleeping 12 hrs a night previously on Seroquel then still a zombie for the next 3 hrs. The morning dose sedated me so I'm changing to 10mg at night and also adding lamotrigine this week. I haven't felt this good in many years, but I'm not elevated I have BP 1 and live in Australia. As I'm on disability, all of my medications only cost $6.20 each as its subsidised by the govt. I feel very sad for everyone in the USA with chronic illnesses. It's just not fair."

Yveron March 28, 2016

"Started on Saphris 2 months ago for sleep and bi-polar. I started at 5 mg---total nightmare! Couldn't sleep, picked arguments with my husband and was generally very hyped and energetic ( in a good but bad way!). I never saw a manic episode coming at me--but I saw this one! After 5 days I called the doctor and was advised to go up to 10mg. WOW!! Immediate turn around that night (I only take it at night) and my sleep was fantastic! My attitude was amazing and my husband was delighted with his loving and easy going wife! I felt great--not drugged just happy and content. Work with it--it's turned my life around!"

Mrspickle (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

"I am taking Saphris 10mg for bipolar disorder with manic episodes that turn into schizophrenia. I have been taking Saphris for 8 months. It has been the most effective medication so far for my symptoms. I take the dissolvable tablet you put under your tongue at night. After I take it I can fall asleep within 20 minutes which has been a godsend. During the day I have no drowsiness and sleepiness. I have to stop taking Saphris though because of what it is doing to my tongue and under my tongue. Four months ago I started getting white soars and skin peeling under my tongue where I put the Saphris. Woke up a month ago with white sores all along my tongue. Hasn't fully healed. Plus deformation of my tongue. Very sad bc now I have to go off it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

"I took Saphris and was given 10 mg samples from my Dr. I felt great! After a few weeks of samples- I went to fill my prescription.....After insurance it was $400.00! I couldn't afford to get it filled. It really stinks that a medication that made such a difference for mental health could be so costly. I can only imagine this is why so many go without medication for mental illness."

Heidi-was-here February 18, 2016

"My experience was very negative. I felt light headed and dizzy immediately and within two weeks I started falling asleep at random times, even while driving on the freeway. I had violent nightmares. I threw up constantly and according to my family started to lose my memory. I couldn't sleep more than a few hours at a time without waking up and having a panic attack. Sleeping medication did nothing to help that. The side effects became so debilitating that I had to stop it and move to something else."

RPO February 11, 2016