User Reviews for Saphris

Learn more about Saphris.

Saphris Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I Gained 50 POUNDS in the first 2 months of taking it. Didnt Work At All. Still had insomnia."

Jamie567 June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I take in am, I'm so tired for 3 hours to the point of dozing off and on. At night I'm like a fish in bed, flopping all over! Restless, up down can't sleep. Why?"

lelydy15 May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst medication I've ever been on. It has made me very flat, depressed, quiet, overweight, and also a case of anhedonia. I can't even talk to people anymore, just short answers and no enthusiasm. I also don't even enjoy nature anymore and I used to LOVE the outdoors. I've been feeling like a robot ever since I went on it 6 months ago. I know I should have told my doctor sooner. Last week I started dosing down and am praying that once I'm completely off of it I'll be feeling better and hope to have more life in me. I'm glad to see that it works for most people. Has anyone else experienced any of these side effects?"

Emilymarie96 April 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked amazing for sleep for 5 of the 8 months I took it, and chronic insomnia, when left untreated, is a big trigger for my bipolar. After the sleep side effect wore off & it failed to do anything for a depressive episode (& had not helped mixed mania episodes earlier), I discontinued it. But those 5 months of sleep - they felt really natural, not drugged, easy to wake up from if you had to and go back to sleep, and no grogginess in the morning. Side effects: slight pinky tremor at times, and it made me produce lots of alive - I would drool like a basset hound on my pillow at night. If you go for this, ask your doc to prescribe the black cherry flavor - I did not find that to be too bad!"

Gone Bananas April 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began Saphris after a 4-day stay in the hospital for depression. Received no info on warnings or interactions.? At first, things seemed fine; neither good or bad. By the next spring, I found I could stay up without feeling tired for 24 hrs. By that summer I felt like superwoman, now having the ability to easily go 3-4 nights without sleep or sleepiness. Explain this to the psychiatrist, he DOUBLED the dose of prescribed Saphris. I had 4 car accidents that year. All my fault but totally unexplainable. I did not feel inebriated. My mood darkened and by November I tried to commit suicide. I spent 9 days in ICU. I can't explain why I tried suicide. Saphris side effects continued. I took myself off it and within a yr, all side effects gone"

SyntaraDeb April 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrifying. Gave me side effects that mimicked a stroke. Lost my ability to write or make sense of computer keyboards and phone dialpads. Drooling, stuttering, slurring, walking sideways, walking into walls. A nightmare from hell."

& (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Saphris changed my life - but not until I went to 10 mg. I was finally "normal" - completely taking care of myself, my house, my business affairs .... I even realized I had hoarding tendencies and was able to rid my life of all the clutter. Then the wheels came off : Tardive dyskenisia. I can't think of a more humiliating side effect, and it started a year before I finally got a second opinion and was diagnosed. TD worsened when I stopped taking saphris, and unfortunately for me, all my "old" habits are back. It was so nice to be normal for the time it lasted -- but TD is horrific, and a truly unfortunate side effect."

Noone1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband takes Saphris 5 mg twice a day for bipolar depression. He was having delusions and psychosis as well as paranoia. Since starting the Saphris these have stopped, but there are times when he is very stoned acting, like a zombie. He isn't responsive or talkative a lot of the time. His sex drive has also become non existent almost and he suffers from ED when we do have sex. It's so difficult when you have a disease like BD and then you have to take these meds, which help some of the symptoms but bring on others that are unwanted. It's like what do you do? My husband says being stoned is better than what he was experiencing before though. Saphris is also pretty expensive, but they do have a card that you can use for discounts."

JoanJet (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"ABSOULTELY AWFUL!!!! I was given this for depression and it made everything so much worse! I only took it for 4 days and days 3-4 were so bad I was concerned. Day 3 I was manic and skipped a midterm, completely unable to control my emotions in any form. Day 4 I awoke confused and disoriented. As the day progressed I was manic, had numb hands, couldn't articulate well, had cognitive impairments, and stiff muscles. It was a LIVING NIGHTMARE. I am also an alcoholic and two years sober so feeling anything besides normal was such a detriment to the drug I don't care if I would have gotten over those symptoms - this drug is pure poison."

Erica A. March 1, 2017

"Is it addictive"

Anonymous February 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this at 5mg for bipolar disorder. Firstly, the wafer I had to put under my tongue was horrendous! The taste can only be described as the taste of poison. It made my tongue numb. It made me extremely drowsy but it was hard to sleep because I had almost a painful restlessness in my legs so felt I couldn't stop moving yet I was so tired. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. This drug, an anti-psychotic MADE me psychotic. It dramatically changed my personally from the moment I took it. I became aggressive and angry at everyone. If I'd had a higher dose, i think I could have become homicidal. This was a terrible drug for me so I didn't last on it long at all, it was just too dangerous for me."

Ozrach10 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on and off Saphris several times. For me, being on Saphris is like turning a light switch on. I go from being manic/depressed to functioning like a normal human. But.... the side effects have made me quit several times - irregular heartbeat, fainting, nausea, etc. Now back on at a low dose with Lamictal and clonezepam for panic disorder. Feel pretty good. Hope it will last. Without Saphris, I am non-functional - so doing my best to manage the side effects while getting the benefits of this medication. Best of luck to all."

Lunabee77 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this med for years and I feel trapped. I don't think it really does anything for me. The problem is that I tried to stop taking it and I became completely useless, tired, irritable, and full of anxiety. Right now I have not taken it for two days because I forgot it before I went out of town. I am tired, got insomnia and I feel like I am hung over and nauseous. The withdrawals from taking this medication is awful. So I think anyone that wants to start this med should seriously consider this when making a decision to ingest this. I am not the only one who has experienced this. There is a lot about withdrawing from this med on the net."

831 November 30, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Bad experience causes extreme restless leg syndrome and back aches, taste horrible also , only been on 20 mgs a day for 3 weeks so hopefully not much withdrawals I'm stopping cold turkey as I need my sleep gonna dry bendryl as I think its a allergic reaction. Would never take again."

cookie 1234 November 17, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Helpful BUT it tastes TERRIBLE I absolutely hate the taste I would rather receive it through an injection than how I have to take it but my psychiatrist told me that it is okay to swallow it with a drink instead of the manufacturer directions also it is kind of like false advertising because it says that it tastes like black cherry but it does NOT at all when I was 5 I accidentally ate a small amount of poop and from what I remember it tastes almost exactly the same."

Aerh (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm currently on Saphris, I just starting working for the first time in 3 years. Ive been on Saphris about 10 months. 2 days ago I woke up and had white canker sores in my mouth, tingling lips. This drug is so great, can take it and wake up 6 hours later and not feel tired all day."

Pratt93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"A side effect of this medication for me was tardive dyskinesia."

Gizmo298 October 10, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am the mother of an adult son that has been taking this medicine for over 2 years. It has done wonders !!! He has remained stable on this medicine. He takes 2 10 mg doses at night with trazadone, lamictle, welbutrin and valium. Right after taking his meds he does get the munchies and right after he is asleep - He functions very well during the day - is attending college full time going for his bachlors - Because he has done so well he was determined no longer disabled and lost his health insurance - the cost of this out of pocket her in VA is 1300.00. He has applied for the assistance program and we are hoping - he doctor did give him samples and he is good for at least 2 months - if not maybe I will check into a Canadian pharmacy"

Jisduit October 6, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Bipolar II and I couldn't sleep and was suffering from mania and cutting. It helped with all of that. I could fall asleep in 10 minutes which was a god send. I went through the pharmacutic patient assistance program to get it free because it cost me $200 a month. After taking it for a while I noticed it was causing neurological problems in the form of foot drop. I constantly tripped and fell and had to wear a bulky brace on my foot. I came of of saphris during a manic episode and noticed that my foot healed. Saphris is good in some was but bad in others."

Andrea the cutter September 21, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had tried many medications to level out my bipolar disorder and relieve my GAD and it seemed that when I would get one symptom straight one of the others would reappear. Years it took, eventually my doc decided to try something new when the depression hit and nothing seemed to be helping. So I started trileptal, which helped noticeably but I wasn't sleeping so he recommended saphris to help me sleep, I was a little apprehensive but desired to feel better so I agreed to try it. I am beyond satisfied with it. I feel better than I have been in as long as I remember. I am back in school full time and working full time without the edginess if mania. I feel like myself again. My friends and family have commented on how well I seem to be."

Lovajule (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on Saphris, Trileptal, and Effexor for about 3 years now for Bi-Polar disorder and depression. I take 5mg of Saphris before bed and I can only sleep about 2 hours if I miss a dose of Saphris. Otherwise, I sleep about 9 hours of deep and restful sleep. I do not function well. Not sure which drug is responsible, but I have issues with focusing and memory that I never had before. I still have thoughts of suicide almost daily, but this is the best I've functioned on any drug and I've been on them all except Lithium."

48 yr old male (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug was an experience in itself. The 1st night I got the restless legs syndrome and kept getting out of bed to go to the bathroom because I had this urge to urinate but... when I got there, couldn't. Then, the next day in the morning I felt whacked. Stoned. Then, I'd pick up after breakfast and my mind would race. I'd become manic. Which was enjoyable. Like an uber high. That bit was good. But kinda defeats the purpose ... so goodbye Saphris."

BrizeVegasGal (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taken by teen with schizoaffective disorder. 5mg didn't work so well, gradually increased to 15mg and then medication worked wonders. Happy, stable mood, very little side effects after three months. Diminished irritability and aggression. More friendly and overall happier."

JMSS July 18, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on 2.5 mg every night of saphris, about 2 weeks ago. It has been utter hell for me. Not only Did it make my tactile hallucinations worse, it caused more problems than before. I've had to go to the ER. I'm more agitated than before. I'm bipolar. Isn't this a bipolar med? I'm not schizophrenic. And what's worse is that even though I'm on the lowest possible dose and only taking once a day, after stopping it IM STILL GETTING WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS! And not small ones. Like I said before I had to go to the ER. I'm drinking a lot of water but I still had a extremely low amount of electrolytes. I ended up using two full bags of fluid. This drug is not safe. It does more harm than good."

Bipolar penguin (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Used it for six weeks. Cluster headaches, Not able to sleep. Foggy all day from lack of sleep. Mind raced 1000 miles per hour. bm several times a day. muscle cramps in feet dosage 5 mg to start 2 days 10 mg 2 days 15 mg on day 5 at night.this went on for 6 weeks doctor saying it would get better. it didn't. finely stopped and went back to depakote. I can live with the small tremors. back to being able to sleep no headache"

D Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016