User Reviews for Saphris

Saphris Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Saphris to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I only took Saphris for a very short time. It was good for mood but the blurry vision and headaches were more than I could deal with. If it hadn't been for those two side effects I would have stayed on it. I've tried so many meds but always have some side effect that makes me stop them."

Lisa Sears (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

"I took this medication for a very short time. Started at 5 mg for a week, then moved to 10mg. My doctor prescribed it when I was struggling with a poor sleep cycle when I was sleeping only ever other night and eating very little. The taste is awful, but tolerable if the medication would have worked otherwise. It did interrupt the critical sleep cycle. It worked for that. I was literally out in 15 minutes. However, I would wake up after 4 hours, literally famished. I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep until I ate. I wasn't groggy the next day from the med, but constantly hungry. Insatiably so. I developed a spasm in my eyelid after 6 days. At first, I dismissed it. However, it escalated to every hour. We then discontinued the medication. I have been off of it for a week, and still the eyelid twitching has continued every hour. I would avoid this medication due to the fact that tardive dyskenisia can be permanent and large number of patients have reported weight gain."

Foureyedgrrl May 18, 2018

"Saphris was the first drug I tried to treat my Bipolar II. The main reason for it was that weight gain was a big fear for me and I was not willing to jump into any medications that were not weight-neutral. Saphris was weight neutral, but it definitely did not work for me. I took it at night and some nights I would pass out to sleep and others I would sit up awake in my bed feeling like I had no control over my own body. During the day I had a edgy/off feeling like I was coming of a recreational drug. For an hour or two I felt at peace, but that would not last. Definitely not a good fit for me."

bpd789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"I recently started taking this medicine. I am having horribly VIVID nightmares and night sweats, am switching back to Abilify."

Jen April 15, 2018

"Struggling with the medication. I get crazy thoughts and my mood is all over the place. Looking forward to seeing my doctor and changing meds"

Bc (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

"I don't know what the big deal is about the taste---I have the cherry and yeah, its not great, but if you want to feel better than you have to deal with it-----feeling better is all worth it to me...has helped me greatly------do not be afraid to try it---"

kenboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2018

"I don't currently take this prescription anymore because in the US it is expensive, when I was prescribed for panic attacks and anxiety at a low point in my life oh my god it helped so much, I felt so normal- not strung and feeling doomish, I had clarity mentally and emotionally (with bouts of panic attacks from heavy personal experience, for that I had clonazepam), I was in a good mood and living my own life on saphris, it felt like I had a sudden choice in feeling anxious or upset and I would mentally clear up my anxiety in seconds myself, and no more introspectiveness, the downside: I had anxiety sleeping and rapid crazy nightmares and waking up was a blur the first hour of waking.. I remember this helped a lot and I believe for bipolar (why I took it) it has a positive effect so much, but sleep is harsh on it and it was expensive"

mae77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

"My son has Autism and Bi polar disorder and had intense violent rages and breakdowns almost constantly. He didn't know how to interact with peers, he saw himself as superior to all and totally disconnected from reality. He would stay awake head banging every night. He had huge bags under his eyes and we tried everything we could to get him to sleep. He never slept through the night, and when he was an infant all he did was cry. He is nine now and has been on Saphris for about a year and a half. He is a different person. He was different the first day. He is actually loving towards me and family members and at least tries to interact with other kids. It is a godsend. He now sleeps 10 hrs"

9 year old boy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2018

"I rated this medication once before, I felt a need to update my review. I've taken Saphris since '13 @ 30 mg. Nightly and over the past 5 months I've slowly tapered down to 10 mg. With high hopes of discontinuing. Saphris got me out of a bad spot, I remember being horrified of answering the door let alone leaving the house I was so delusional. I got out of that spot, SLOWLY got on my feet and SOME WHAT rejoined society. My positive manic spirit is gone, I'm always tired & feel like life goes on around me, not with me. Its very hard to discontinue, I have panic attacks daily now and am beyond stressed. I feel like I'm trapped, no worse--or better--on or off after all these years."

crazydude81 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

"After trying several meds, which helped, I was introduced to Saphris @ 10mg/day. I experienced periods debilitating drowsiness, so decreased to 5mg. Problem disappeared. Mentally, emotionally I feel almost normal. Mood swings are slight, handleable. I like Saphris."

Mitch65 September 19, 2017

"After 15 years of trying different meds, this is the first one to give me a positive change. I used to be suicidal everyday & had a hard time leaving the house. Everything was overwhelming. Since starting Saphris my mind finally feels like it has "brakes" and my thoughts feel lighter. I'm feeling true happiness, even happy to wake up. Little to no side effects 3 months in. I take it at night because it does make me sleepy. Sugar cravings I've noticed but an trying to control that because honestly this med is giving me my life back. Cons: 20 minutes of a nasty taste in your mouth because you dissolve it under your tongue. Sugar/carb cravings but no excess weight gain yet."

Jessie1382 September 13, 2017

"Amazing drug when combined with lexapro ( for my depressive side ). To say it has changed my life, saved my marriage and made me a better father is a sheer undersell of this medicine. I'm bipolar 2 with mixed episodes (Dysphoric). I'm no longer filled with rage over nothing, irritable , or depressed. It has thus far been the magic bullet for me, after trying about 6 other combinations. It's allowing me to be present in my own life without constantly overthinking or having racing and repeating thoughts. Having a clear mind is allowing me the freedom to be the man I always knew I was. There's a lot of horror stories on here but just remember when you find the right medication. Its worth it."

Finally free of Bp2 September 11, 2017

"I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features, I got off of risperdal that I was only on for a couple of weeks and immediately started saphris. I'm an artist, and when I'm manic I create a lot. Within an hour in my first night of taking Saphris, I began to see colors very brightly , euphoria, "hey dad I feel REALLY good." Then I drew up 12 doodles in under 30 minutes. That night I could not sleep well and began to hear laughing in my room. I was verrrrry manic. When I woke up the next day I worked out at the gym for 3 hours and then went to the park to walk a lap. When I looked in the sky I was seeing UFOs and wondering if they were communicating with me. (hallucinations) That night I was having more auditory hallucinations before bed."

Sky0bye September 3, 2017

"I Gained 50 POUNDS in the first 2 months of taking it. Didnt Work At All. Still had insomnia."

Jamie567 June 8, 2017

"When I take in am, I'm so tired for 3 hours to the point of dozing off and on. At night I'm like a fish in bed, flopping all over! Restless, up down can't sleep. Why?"

lelydy15 May 19, 2017

"Worst medication I've ever been on. It has made me very flat, depressed, quiet, overweight, and also a case of anhedonia. I can't even talk to people anymore, just short answers and no enthusiasm. I also don't even enjoy nature anymore and I used to LOVE the outdoors. I've been feeling like a robot ever since I went on it 6 months ago. I know I should have told my doctor sooner. Last week I started dosing down and am praying that once I'm completely off of it I'll be feeling better and hope to have more life in me. I'm glad to see that it works for most people. Has anyone else experienced any of these side effects?"

Emilymarie96 April 23, 2017

"Worked amazing for sleep for 5 of the 8 months I took it, and chronic insomnia, when left untreated, is a big trigger for my bipolar. After the sleep side effect wore off & it failed to do anything for a depressive episode (& had not helped mixed mania episodes earlier), I discontinued it. But those 5 months of sleep - they felt really natural, not drugged, easy to wake up from if you had to and go back to sleep, and no grogginess in the morning. Side effects: slight pinky tremor at times, and it made me produce lots of alive - I would drool like a basset hound on my pillow at night. If you go for this, ask your doc to prescribe the black cherry flavor - I did not find that to be too bad!"

Gone Bananas April 22, 2017

"I began Saphris after a 4-day stay in the hospital for depression. Received no info on warnings or interactions.? At first, things seemed fine; neither good or bad. By the next spring, I found I could stay up without feeling tired for 24 hrs. By that summer I felt like superwoman, now having the ability to easily go 3-4 nights without sleep or sleepiness. Explain this to the psychiatrist, he DOUBLED the dose of prescribed Saphris. I had 4 car accidents that year. All my fault but totally unexplainable. I did not feel inebriated. My mood darkened and by November I tried to commit suicide. I spent 9 days in ICU. I can't explain why I tried suicide. Saphris side effects continued. I took myself off it and within a yr, all side effects gone"

SyntaraDeb April 20, 2017

"Horrifying. Gave me side effects that mimicked a stroke. Lost my ability to write or make sense of computer keyboards and phone dialpads. Drooling, stuttering, slurring, walking sideways, walking into walls. A nightmare from hell."

& (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

"Saphris changed my life - but not until I went to 10 mg. I was finally "normal" - completely taking care of myself, my house, my business affairs .... I even realized I had hoarding tendencies and was able to rid my life of all the clutter. Then the wheels came off : Tardive dyskenisia. I can't think of a more humiliating side effect, and it started a year before I finally got a second opinion and was diagnosed. TD worsened when I stopped taking saphris, and unfortunately for me, all my "old" habits are back. It was so nice to be normal for the time it lasted -- but TD is horrific, and a truly unfortunate side effect."

Noone1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2017

"My husband takes Saphris 5 mg twice a day for bipolar depression. He was having delusions and psychosis as well as paranoia. Since starting the Saphris these have stopped, but there are times when he is very stoned acting, like a zombie. He isn't responsive or talkative a lot of the time. His sex drive has also become non existent almost and he suffers from ED when we do have sex. It's so difficult when you have a disease like BD and then you have to take these meds, which help some of the symptoms but bring on others that are unwanted. It's like what do you do? My husband says being stoned is better than what he was experiencing before though. Saphris is also pretty expensive, but they do have a card that you can use for discounts."

JoanJet (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2017

"ABSOULTELY AWFUL!!!! I was given this for depression and it made everything so much worse! I only took it for 4 days and days 3-4 were so bad I was concerned. Day 3 I was manic and skipped a midterm, completely unable to control my emotions in any form. Day 4 I awoke confused and disoriented. As the day progressed I was manic, had numb hands, couldn't articulate well, had cognitive impairments, and stiff muscles. It was a LIVING NIGHTMARE. I am also an alcoholic and two years sober so feeling anything besides normal was such a detriment to the drug I don't care if I would have gotten over those symptoms - this drug is pure poison."

Erica A. March 1, 2017

"Is it addictive"

Anonymous February 20, 2017

"I started taking this at 5mg for bipolar disorder. Firstly, the wafer I had to put under my tongue was horrendous! The taste can only be described as the taste of poison. It made my tongue numb. It made me extremely drowsy but it was hard to sleep because I had almost a painful restlessness in my legs so felt I couldn't stop moving yet I was so tired. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. This drug, an anti-psychotic MADE me psychotic. It dramatically changed my personally from the moment I took it. I became aggressive and angry at everyone. If I'd had a higher dose, i think I could have become homicidal. This was a terrible drug for me so I didn't last on it long at all, it was just too dangerous for me."

Ozrach10 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

"Have been on and off Saphris several times. For me, being on Saphris is like turning a light switch on. I go from being manic/depressed to functioning like a normal human. But.... the side effects have made me quit several times - irregular heartbeat, fainting, nausea, etc. Now back on at a low dose with Lamictal and clonezepam for panic disorder. Feel pretty good. Hope it will last. Without Saphris, I am non-functional - so doing my best to manage the side effects while getting the benefits of this medication. Best of luck to all."

Lunabee77 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2016