User Reviews for Clozapine

Also known as: Clopine, Clozapine Synthon, Clozaril, Denzapine, FazaClo, Versacloz, Zaponex

Paranoid Disorder
8.5

Schizophrenia
7.6

Borderline Personality Disorder
7.3

Summary of Clozapine reviews 7.5 34 reviews

Reviews for Clozapine

For Schizophrenia: "Clozapine has RUINED my life!!! I now suffer permanent brain damage after 18 years of taking it. I cannot think straight, slow thought process, memory loss, confused, terrible concentration to name a few. I do NOT recommend long term use of this drug!!!!"

Chris (taken for 10 years or more) September 24, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "This is my son 10th day on it .He still in the hospital I see a change in him so far . I will update again when he gets out the hospital."

Lucy September 15, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "After trying many AP's, Clozapine finally settled my Schizoaffective/Schizophenia symptoms. Has a number of side effects, noticably, moderate OCD, temporary stiffness in joints and some initial weight gain. After 10 years, about to swap over to a new drug called Reluxta, which is now on Australian PBS list for AUD$40 (previously AUD$1700). Reluxta is suitable for those coming off Clozapine (slowly), with usually better results & fewer side effects. Some patients may still need to take a reduced Clozapine amount, while taking Reluxta as the main AP."

LastResort (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "This drug almost killed me. My white cell count was so low, I was getting fevers every other day and I had severe diarrhea for almost a full year. When I finally sought medical help no one could help me. I asked to stop the drug and I slowly got better. As much as this drug is praised, it is unnecessarily overprescribed. In some European countries it is banned, and for good reason. My quality of life was horrible on this drug. Gained weight, constipated once for a whole week, I could not find a good job, and developed extreme OCD that dissipated as soon as drug was stopped. I do not recommend. You are better off turning to your local charity organization for help than getting involved with any doctor that willingly prescribes this without properly assessing your situation. Good luck."

Chris Michelle (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "Clozapine has given me my life back. Much of the problems or symptoms of my Schizophrenia are reduced. The only down side has been urinary incontinence. I am now back to wearing diapers just in case, but it is a minor price to pay in order to get my life and head space back."

Brandon J (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2018

Clozaril (clozapine) for : "This drug is too dangerous It is too difficult to titrate off and it causes rebound psychosis with a vengeance, along with vomiting and excruciating headaches While on this drug it shuts down the brain and body causing obesity and constipation It is sad to know this drug can be forced onto humans with "no consent" as it really will ruin you life unless you prefer a chemical restraint The blood draws are nearly impossible for people who are not wanting to take this but if you abruptly stop this drug you will feel like you are dying 350 mg was a chemical restraint and our family member lost his whole personality and ability to function at all on this mind alternating drug with 5 black box warning Do not start this drug unless you like mind torture"

Jerio (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "My daughter has schizophrenia since 19 years old and had first gone thru most of the other medications, which did not work well, she even attempted suicide. Finally she was put on Clozapine, which helped her so much that she even managed to graduate with a BA. There are negative side effects such as constipation, weight gain (which she is fighting successfully with Weight Watchers), and her voices do break thru once in a while and some psychosis sometimes. But she is incredibly resilient. All in all, clozapine is to her like a wonder drug. Hopefully better medications will arrive in the future."

resilient Nicole January 26, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "I am using Clozapine 1 mg from last three years coz I am suffering from auditory hallucination from 2010 till now. I am under treatment and my doctor is saying I will have to take medicines whole life and there is no permanent solution. If any doctor knows any permanent solution please contact me. Clozapine is not for supressing negative voices but is used to calm you and relax you and reduce stress and help you to sleep better. For Visual and auditory hallucination , Respiridone 1 mg is useful daily but Clozapine and Respiridone increase your weight too much. In my case, my weight increased from 45 kg to 67 kg in just three years."

shahnila fahmi (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2018

For Schizophrenia: "In 2012 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia after hearing voices talking to me day and night and couldn't sleep. I went on invega and then Risperidone but they both made me feel like a zombie because I had to be on the highest dose. I had akathisia and I was restless and tired at the same time and just wanted to sleep all day but physically couldn't and very depressed. I would hear voices every night when it would wear off. I had intrusive thoughts also. My doctor suggested trying 250mg Clozapine but I was scared. It is a miracle drug! The outside voices went away and the thoughts that weren't my own! I have no side effects and I am happier now! After a year you only have to get your blood drawn once a month. Worth it to have my life back!"

Videokitten (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I tried every psych medicine on the market and none controlled my bipolar problem until I was prescribed clozapine. This med has given me my life back. I am able to live a balanced, normal life on this med with little to no ill side effects. This med controls my manic, erratic behaviors and I feel stable."

JoeRon (taken for 10 years or more) February 5, 2017

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: "Been on clozapine for over two years. before this I had tried many different oral and depot medications which helped then seem to had run there course with me. although it can take a while to get over the fatigue it causes it definitely helps with voices and delusions as well as just making you feel normal again."

Elzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "My son is in his early 20'and has schitsoaffective dissorder.He has been on at least five different medications for his illness. And nothing seem to help or if it did it lasted only for a little while or he had severe allergic reactions. So he started clozapine/clozaril around a month ago. And it has made a big difference .The voices gradually are going away. He can actually sit and watch TV and have a conversation. He is enjoying things again. We do go for blood work every week which he does not mind. This medicine is working and I'm hoping his blood work comes back good every week, Because to see him getting better is such a relief . And I am hopeful for a happy productive life for him. Things are looking up."

Mysonisawsome January 19, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I took this medicine for 6 years as a teenager for "bipolar" (which we found out was a misdiagnosis). This medication made me miserable. I felt like I had died and somehow was still walking the Earth. For the first couple of years I became extremely paranoid, which I had never had a problem with before taking the medicine. The depression was still there. As the dose was gradually decreased, I felt a bit better but still had that feeling of dread. You eat everything. You sleep all the time. You don't care about anything. Coming off of the medicine is almost as bad as being on it! I had severe headaches and nausea, and I lost 10 pounds almost instantly. Clozapine has its place, but you should think hard before taking it."

I Wouldn't (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 14, 2016

For Paranoid Disorder: "Tried may meds. But clozapine has turned me around. Now working part time. Involved with community and living/loving my life. Medication is not the only key to recovery though. You cant medicate life. II need to be supported and surrounded by people who are good for me."

Rotton fred (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 13, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "I've been on clozapine for four and a half year for schizoaffective disorder. I was on 350mg but took a seizure and the dose was lowered to 150mg. I feel well mentally but the clozapine has made me very unfit. Also the constipation I suffer has affected my quality of life. I don't feel like socialising any more and have gained 3 stone. Looking into changing to the drug Latuda that is new in the U.K."

CMac603090 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 8, 2015

For Paranoid Disorder: "My son has been on Clozaril for 3 years. He was dx with Bipolar when he was just 6 years old. He had literally been on every anti-psychotic drug until his 7th hospItal stay, his regular psychiatrist and the hospital's Dr decided to try this medicine. As far as his psychosis it has been a wonder drug. But physically, Clozaril is destroying his body. In the first 6 months, he was dx with asthma. The worst of his problems that developed in the past 9 months has been GI and liver. He now has severe ensephagitis, gastritis, 4 ulcers and NAFLD (fatty liver disease). He has also gained over 50 lbs. Not just teenage pounds. I was also told when he started the Clozaril, it isn't really approved for patients under 18. Too late now."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "My daughter was prescribed Clozaril as a last resort because I refused to allow her to be admitted to a state hospital. Every other med combination had been tried for 5 years during which she was constantly psychotic, in and out of the hospital. That was nearly 3 years ago and she improves in tiny increments every day. We have learned a great deal during this 8 years: that most psychiatrists don't understand how to treat mental illness because most they don't believe in neurotransmission disorders. They really think "behavioral health" is about poor choices caused by emotional trauma. Clozaril is the only effective med and it is used as a last resort in the USA. The shame is that it is a front line "gold standard" med in Great Britain."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2015

For Not Listed / Other: "I am a male aged 48. I was diagnosed with Type I Bipolar Disorder when I was 26. In 2008 it was changed to Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Type. I had been on Depakote from 1994 until 2014. The Depakote caused massive weight gain (I topped out around 240 pounds on it). In April of 2014 the psychiatrists decided to try Clozapine (Clozaril) and discontinued the Depakote. I lost around 70 pounds over 8 months. I now weigh 160 pounds. This is my normal body weight. The Clozapine has been an excellent anti-psychotic and it works very well. Even better than the Depakote. The psychiatrists augmented the Clozaril with Metformin, which studies show can help lead to weight loss. I am as happy as I have ever been on the Clozapine."

True_Architect August 10, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "So far this has worked for my grandson. No more voice or the TV talking to him. He still has a little anxiety. It has been life changing"

lsg July 28, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "Very drowsy during the daytime. Not sure if my antidepressant needs to be changed, but it is still too early to judge how well Clozaril is working. I'd rather not have to draw my blood every week, because there is a lot I could be doing like going overseas with friends and relatives. By the way, does anyone experience bedwetting in the morning?"

ABC45 July 15, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "So far it has been the best med for my grandson. He no longer hear voices or is delusional. I am so pleased this is working for him. He is almost back to his old self"

p moore July 10, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "I've been on it for 4 weeks, and I don't see a big difference. I used to socialize at coffee shops, but now I feel paranoid, and I want to stay home. There are so many other things that can be wrong since I take several other meds like Depakote ER and Zoloft. I'm going to see my doctor this week, and hopefully find something to help with mood stabilization."

CJK2345 July 7, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "This medication was absolutely terrible. I couldn't think and everyone had to repeat things all the time. Also I extreme weight gain in barely any time. I always wanted to eat something unhealthy when I walked by somewhere and I had never had that before I was on this medication, at least not as badly as that. In the past I had gradual weight gain but this was rapid. It is also bad for the fact that it gave me seizures twice and I ended up breaking my ankles and they put me on Epival which causes birth defects. Hopefully everything will be better though. I'm on Invega now and it already is better and I don't need clozapine even though the doctors were trying to make me believe it was the only medication that works when it isn't."

Anonymous. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "I've been on everything to treat my disease, seriously. My condition is a little different. I'm very intelligent, but my positive symptoms kept me in constant fear and stress. I was so unmotivated and depressed I couldn't handle life. My first psychiatrist was terrible. He loaded me up on benzos and SSRIs. It was like dumping gas on the fire. I was so fed up that I switched doctors when I went to college. I've been with him for 3 years now. He did everything he could think of. Some things didn't work, some were incomplete, and some caused horrible side effects. So last ditch he wrote Clozaril. I feel wonderful. I have a $75k job, a car, and a house. Clozaril saved my life."

Mjm4273 April 13, 2014

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: "My sister was diagnosed with schizophrenia at about 29 after a third suicide attempt and full blown nervous breakdown. She was eventually placed in a state mental institution for ten years. She only got out due to Clozaril. They tried it on three patients through the national institute of health in Washington, DC. She was released to a halfway house within three months. Although she is still very ill, she remains on this medicine for approximately 23 or more years. "

The Q March 16, 2014