User Reviews for Clozapine

Also known as: Clozaril, FazaClo, Clopine, Clozapine Synthon, Versacloz, Denzapine

Clozapine has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 54 ratings on Drugs.com. 70% of those users who reviewed Clozapine reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Schizophrenia
7.9
Borderline Personality Disorder  Off-label
8.2
Paranoid Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Clozapine reviews 7.8 54 reviews

Reviews for Clozapine

Matt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 19, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “Was put on different medications; for a while Zyprexa and Risperidone. Neither did much. The Zyprexa helped me sleep. Got put on Clozapine as a last resort and for the most part it helps with hallucinations. Only negative side effect experienced is moderate drowsiness. Might have my doctor lower the dosage next appointment.”

Terentius BarJoseph · Taken for 10 years or more April 3, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “Powerful drug therapy”

A Friend · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “Avoid taking it with alcohol, causes extreme drowsiness, trouble breathing, spinning head, unresponsiveness to the point the person could not call an ambulance himself if he was alone. This drug has serious side effects.”

Alexis · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 10, 2019

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “My brother was also lucky to be on Clozaril. I was watching a news report on the drug on TV one day. It stated that it brought people back who had Schizophrenia. It gave high percentages and stated that they were even able to carry a job. I spoke with my Mother and she worked to get this drug for him. He was so normal on it, like he woke up and was himself again. He was able to live in an apartment and work a 40 hour job. On his off hours, he joined a band and played trumpet on some evenings and weekends in clubs and restaurants. He was able to go out on dates. He wanted to complete his degree in music. How wonderful it was for him to have a real life to enjoy.”

Anonymous May 6, 2009

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “This medicine works. We had exhausted every other psych medicine on the market over a period of 6 years. My daughter is functioning again. The paranoid symptoms have disappeared. It is worth the monthly lab work. She's been on for 5 years, and no side effects. I don't think our daughter would be alive if not for this medicine.”

Anonymous July 26, 2011

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “My friend has been on Clozaril (Clozapine) for nearly 18 years. He went more than 10 years without having a single psychotic breakdown, which only occurred when he lowered the dosage himself. Even though the medicine makes him feel fatigued he has been able to hold down a 40hr/wk job. Nothing short of a God-given miracle!”

Mysonisawsome January 19, 2016

For Schizophrenia: “My son is in his early 20'and has schitsoaffective dissorder.He has been on at least five different medications for his illness. And nothing seem to help or if it did it lasted only for a little while or he had severe allergic reactions. So he started clozapine/clozaril around a month ago. And it has made a big difference .The voices gradually are going away. He can actually sit and watch TV and have a conversation. He is enjoying things again. We do go for blood work every week which he does not mind. This medicine is working and I'm hoping his blood work comes back good every week, Because to see him getting better is such a relief . And I am hopeful for a happy productive life for him. Things are looking up.”

Angie · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “Wow. I have been on clozapine 200 mg for five days and it works amazingly well. Depression easing, hallucinations easing and just a great sense of well-being. Best antipsychotic I have tried. Looking forward to what the future looks like.”

Mjm4273 April 13, 2014

For Schizophrenia: “I've been on everything to treat my disease, seriously. My condition is a little different. I'm very intelligent, but my positive symptoms kept me in constant fear and stress. I was so unmotivated and depressed I couldn't handle life. My first psychiatrist was terrible. He loaded me up on benzos and SSRIs. It was like dumping gas on the fire. I was so fed up that I switched doctors when I went to college. I've been with him for 3 years now. He did everything he could think of. Some things didn't work, some were incomplete, and some caused horrible side effects. So last ditch he wrote Clozaril. I feel wonderful. I have a $75k job, a car, and a house. Clozaril saved my life.”

Older Brother January 9, 2011

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “My youngest brother has suffered with Schizophrenia for around twenty years & we have also tried him on many meds - some good, some not so good. The main problem is the anguish etc. he undergoes each time he has to be "weaned" off one med & put on another. This is because after a while they all lose their effect & periodically need changing - not so with Clozaril. After being on it for five years, he is still stable, although a recent lessening of his regular dose is causing some anxiety. We hope to have the dosage resumed as previous, but see no need at this time to change him from this excellent medication.”

aj2321 February 28, 2013

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “My son was had a myriad of diagnosis since he was 3 years old - by the time he was 20 he had been hospitalized numerous times, attempted suicide 4 times, and was uncontrollable. He had been on 19 different medicines over the course of this time with no reprieve. His doctor decided to try Clozaril as a last case alternative - I don't even know what to say, within two weeks his anger diminished, with three his personality started to emerge -the medicine completely changed his life. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. He literally transformed with 6 weeks from a boy who couldn't exist in society, could manage his behaviors or aggression and was completely out of touch with reality into a son I had never seen before. He now works full time. ”

Century21cyn November 6, 2011

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “My brother's schizophrenia manifested itself in 1971 or 2 when he was around 17. Spent maybe 25 years in state hospital and was on everything and every combination of medicine over the years. The doctors were baffled. He was one of the first to try Clozaril when it first came out in 1980-something. Unfortunately, he was one of the few who had a severe reaction which nearly cost him his life. So sad...BUT I am very happy to read how others have found Clozaril to be such a 'miracle' for them! The trauma and grief of schizophrenia leaves years of devastation in it's wake. I am still hopeful that one day he will have his 'miracle breakthrough' just as others have!”

Edna May 25, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “Yet another useless drug that has turned my spouse into a vegetable. Less energy, reduced mental capacity, dizzy spells where he falls over. Increased depression. OMG the horrifying facial ticks and the Dr won't do a thing. Sleeps his life away. Developed GERD as well. I personally believe this drug is harming him.”

candyb69 September 25, 2012

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “My older brother has had schizoprenia since he was 14 years old in 1970's. He has been on many, many medicines with some or little success. He was then put on Clozaril in his thirty's, what a miracle Clozaril was. He was able to live a almost normal life for over 10 years and within 3 days his life went from happy to hell again, because of his blood test result, we tried to get him back on it but due to the special list with people who have reactions to it are not able to ever take it again. My brother is one of the lucky one's though he has a family that totally supports him and encourages him to live and do the best that he can. He lives in a adult facility that takes care of his needs and makes sure he gets his medicines.”

The Q March 16, 2014

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “My sister was diagnosed with schizophrenia at about 29 after a third suicide attempt and full blown nervous breakdown. She was eventually placed in a state mental institution for ten years. She only got out due to Clozaril. They tried it on three patients through the national institute of health in Washington, DC. She was released to a halfway house within three months. Although she is still very ill, she remains on this medicine for approximately 23 or more years. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2012

For Schizophrenia: “Clozaril has given me my life back. I'm an independent and functional member of society again. I just finished trade school ahead of schedule with no interruptions because of my disorder. I can come out of my shell and make friends again without feeling paranoid. I can walk out in public without feeling that people are watching me and talking about me. I feel that Clozaril is the best antipsychotic available.”

John February 19, 2021

For Schizophrenia: “I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder in 2019 after four psychotic episodes that required hospital care. I tried to fight schizophrenia and depression without medication for two years. I didn't want any medication because I was struggling with terrible unwanted side effects like akathesia. Psychiatrists put me on : Zyprexa, Lithium, Attivan, Abilify, Rexulti, Valium and Invega Sustenna. Like I already said; it took 2 years to find the right medication for me. I've managed to find Clozapine with the help of Drugs.com reviews. My doctor was also aware of Clozapine. We both agreed to try it as a last resort and it saved my life! So far I experienced fatigue, weight gain, drooling, chest pain and altered libido. I also take Lamictal (150 mg) to stabilise my mood and prevent a depression relapse plus many other supplements like Bacopa monnieri. I am now happier than ever, able to work a 40 hours/week job, physically/socially active and able to lose weight.”

Hopeful Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “Our son disintegrated throughout college. Went to lots of docs, given a lot of meds, allergy and asthma, anti depressant and anti anxiety. Of course it was classic schizophrenia prodrome, no one bothered to say he was high risk for psychosis. After 2 breaks, 5 hospitalizations (2 by court order) and trying haldol, geodon, seroquel, abilify..suicidality. Started clozapine 3 months ago, read 1st novel in 4 yrs, running, laughing again schizophrenia symptoms fading. Not working yet but more hope. Gained 40lbs”

Bear · Taken for 10 years or more August 15, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “If it wasn't for clozapine I would be in a secure hospital or dead. I have epilepsy and inter-ictal psychosis organic. My seizures are controlled by topiramate. Age 19 I had a lot of seizures which left me afterwards very pyschotically unwell. Had anti pyschotics. None worked. It was thought at the time I would never be well enough to live in the community. Clozapine was tried as a last resort and though initially I had a high heart beat and some drooling. It all settled down. Fairly soon. I was on topiramate initially at 450 mg alongside clozapine. It was working and six weeks later I was discharged from hospital. I accept I will always have to be on it. As on two occasions tried to come off and became psychotic again. I am on 325 mg 25mg day and 300 night alongside topiramate. I am under a neurologist and psychiatrist. I get regular health checks don't smoke or drink. I don't know what I would do without clozapine.”

Elzy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2016

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “Been on clozapine for over two years. before this I had tried many different oral and depot medications which helped then seem to had run there course with me. although it can take a while to get over the fatigue it causes it definitely helps with voices and delusions as well as just making you feel normal again.”

Mom July 29, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “My son was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 17. He was even hospitalized for 3 and 1/2 months because of this horrible disease. He tried many different medicines and none worked until clozapine. Clozapine helped him a lot with the voices but the weight gain is horrible. He gained over 100lbs in 6 months! Now he is depressed and won’t leave the house because of his sudden weight gain and is refusing taking the med because of it so now we are back to square one. It’s a no win situation /: feeling helpless.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 11, 2015

For Schizophrenia: “My daughter was prescribed Clozaril as a last resort because I refused to allow her to be admitted to a state hospital. Every other med combination had been tried for 5 years during which she was constantly psychotic, in and out of the hospital. That was nearly 3 years ago and she improves in tiny increments every day. We have learned a great deal during this 8 years: that most psychiatrists don't understand how to treat mental illness because most they don't believe in neurotransmission disorders. They really think "behavioral health" is about poor choices caused by emotional trauma. Clozaril is the only effective med and it is used as a last resort in the USA. The shame is that it is a front line "gold standard" med in Great Britain.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 20, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “My condition is TBD. Doctors have said Bipolar 1, others have said Primary Akathisia. I've been on Clozapine for 11 years and take 100mg/night. I was prescribed this after trying numerous medications. My symptoms are constant physical restlessness, insomnia, manic episodes, racing thoughts. Untreated, the physical restlessness is almost unbearable. I tried Lithium, Seroquel, Geodon, Trazadone, Lamictal, Zyprexa, Propranolol, Gabapentin. Finally in the hospital I was given Clozapine. I hadn't slept in 3 days and was able to sleep. They titrated me up to 100mg and I was discharged. For me side effects include high heart rate, severe constipation, body aches, weight gain, extreme thirst. I'm still taking 100mg of Clozapine. This medicine has saved my life. I can sleep, sit (mostly) still, feel calm, do my job. I'm so glad my doctor thought outside of the box to give me this medicine. Good luck to everyone out there.”

Invis · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “Posted a review on Olanzapine on 2017-01-12 (2 years ago) on this site w/same name (Invis). Got switched to Clozapine; first dose was Dec 13, 2017; 12.5mg. I am now on 275mg a night. What a life saver, I wish I took this to begin with as I strongly believe voices would be 100% gone by now, anyway, they are pretty much there 5-15% of the time now. Blood tests aren't an issue for me. Used to it now but shoulder area of shirt and pillow are pretty wet in the morning from drooling. Weight is now 200-205 lbs, won't budge even from treadmill fast walking 20 mins/day and pants size is now 38 from 30-32 lol. All of these are small prices to pay for being healthy again. 10/10”

Videokitten · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 27, 2017

For Schizophrenia: “In 2012 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia after hearing voices talking to me day and night and couldn't sleep. I went on invega and then Risperidone but they both made me feel like a zombie because I had to be on the highest dose. I had akathisia and I was restless and tired at the same time and just wanted to sleep all day but physically couldn't and very depressed. I would hear voices every night when it would wear off. I had intrusive thoughts also. My doctor suggested trying 250mg Clozapine but I was scared. It is a miracle drug! The outside voices went away and the thoughts that weren't my own! I have no side effects and I am happier now! After a year you only have to get your blood drawn once a month. Worth it to have my life back!”

Chris · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “Clozapine has RUINED my life!!! I now suffer permanent brain damage after 18 years of taking it. I cannot think straight, slow thought process, memory loss, confused, terrible concentration to name a few. I do NOT recommend long term use of this drug!!!!”

Dmom · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 10, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “My son starting showing signs of psychosis right after his 14th bday. Diagnosed with schizophrenia 6 months later. He was in a constant state of his own reality and heard voices on a regular basis. Seroqel, Zyprexa, Invega, and Ability did nothing for him. His psychiatrist prescribed Clozapine as a last resort. I won't allow his dosage any higher than 300mg per day for now since the side effects worry me. This drug has been a lifesaver to allow him to participate in the regular world and quiet the voices where he can focus on real ppl. It makes him drowsy so he takes it at night. Weight gain is significant but most antipsychotics will do this. Regular blood monitoring to make sure his WBC stays normal. So good, so far.”

Anonymous November 14, 2011

For Schizophrenia: “Clozapine has been the only medicine that has helped me with my psychosis. I rapidly deteriorated while in hospital to a point where I had to be on 24 hour watch. 4 weeks after starting it I was released and began studying again. As my psychiatrist said 'it is the golden egg of psychiatric medication".”