User Reviews for Clozapine

Also known as: Clozaril, FazaClo, Clopine, Clozapine Synthon, Versacloz, Denzapine

Borderline Personality Disorder 8.2
Schizophrenia 8.1
Paranoid Disorder 6.0
Summary of Clozapine reviews 8.0 47 reviews

Reviews for Clozapine

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 20, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “My condition is TBD. Doctors have said Bipolar 1, others have said Primary Akathisia. I've been on Clozapine for 11 years and take 100mg/night. I was prescribed this after trying numerous medications. My symptoms are constant physical restlessness, insomnia, manic episodes, racing thoughts. Untreated, the physical restlessness is almost unbearable. I tried Lithium, Seroquel, Geodon, Trazadone, Lamictal, Zyprexa, Propranolol, Gabapentin. Finally in the hospital I was given Clozapine. I hadn't slept in 3 days and was able to sleep. They titrated me up to 100mg and I was discharged. For me side effects include high heart rate, severe constipation, body aches, weight gain, extreme thirst. I'm still taking 100mg of Clozapine. This medicine has saved my life. I can sleep, sit (mostly) still, feel calm, do my job. I'm so glad my doctor thought outside of the box to give me this medicine. Good luck to everyone out there.”

AnxietyQueen · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I ended up in the hospital for a complete OCD meltdown. I hadn’t slept in days and was totally distraught. The hospital put me on Clozapine 50mg for about 2 weeks because I really needed to calm down while I underwent a med change. At first I was terrified of being on a medication with such a severe reputation. I was utterly shocked at the results however. I calmed down almost immediately and didn’t suffer any weird side effects. My brain didn’t feel any slower or impaired on the dose I was on. I honestly didn’t feel any different other than more mellow. I would equate the feeling to be similar to Xanax. The medication worked so well for sleep that I wanted to stay on it but the doctors ended up switching me to something more tolerable upon discharge.”

His sister March 3, 2020

For Schizophrenia: “My brother diagnosed with schizophrenia 2 years ago tried many medications Zyprexa, invega, clopixol, rexulaity nothing worked with him he’s 20 years old now .. he just make the blood test to check if he can take Clozapine medication will see”

Elizabeth · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “I got on clozapine for schizophrenia and have well for years. It gave me a life. I hope the med stays on the market and is always available”

Bear · Taken for 10 years or more August 15, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “If it wasn't for clozapine I would be in a secure hospital or dead. I have epilepsy and inter-ictal psychosis organic. My seizures are controlled by topiramate. Age 19 I had a lot of seizures which left me afterwards very pyschotically unwell. Had anti pyschotics. None worked. It was thought at the time I would never be well enough to live in the community. Clozapine was tried as a last resort and though initially I had a high heart beat and some drooling. It all settled down. Fairly soon. I was on topiramate initially at 450 mg alongside clozapine. It was working and six weeks later I was discharged from hospital. I accept I will always have to be on it. As on two occasions tried to come off and became psychotic again. I am on 325 mg 25mg day and 300 night alongside topiramate. I am under a neurologist and psychiatrist. I get regular health checks don't smoke or drink. I don't know what I would do without clozapine.”

Mom July 29, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “My son was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 17. He was even hospitalized for 3 and 1/2 months because of this horrible disease. He tried many different medicines and none worked until clozapine. Clozapine helped him a lot with the voices but the weight gain is horrible. He gained over 100lbs in 6 months! Now he is depressed and won’t leave the house because of his sudden weight gain and is refusing taking the med because of it so now we are back to square one. It’s a no win situation /: feeling helpless.”

Tracy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 18, 2019

For Paranoid Disorder: “My husband has been given a chemical lobotomy. He can't sit still , he bounces and makes faces while watching tv and thats all he does all day. I can't take him anywhere he bugs his eyes out at people and makes monkey faces. How on earth did this questionable drug get approved. He is totally unproductive , slow , forgetful and delusional.”

alias · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

“I had treatment resistant depression and I felt pretty good on clozapine except within a month or two, I gained 30-40 POUNDS. This was probably also exacerbated by my usage of seroquel (for sleeping and behavioral issues) but it was a very noticeable difference. I had to get a blood test every single week for my white blood cell count, I think. My psychiatrist never told me that there was such a high risk of weight gain (because it’s not just me, there are numerous case studies about how it’s a high risk weight gain medication) because she basically made it seem that clozapine was my only option at the time and knew I wouldn’t take it if I knew I would become overweight. well.”

Alexis · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 10, 2019

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “My brother was also lucky to be on Clozaril. I was watching a news report on the drug on TV one day. It stated that it brought people back who had Schizophrenia. It gave high percentages and stated that they were even able to carry a job. I spoke with my Mother and she worked to get this drug for him. He was so normal on it, like he woke up and was himself again. He was able to live in an apartment and work a 40 hour job. On his off hours, he joined a band and played trumpet on some evenings and weekends in clubs and restaurants. He was able to go out on dates. He wanted to complete his degree in music. How wonderful it was for him to have a real life to enjoy.”

Edna May 25, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “Yet another useless drug that has turned my spouse into a vegetable. Less energy, reduced mental capacity, dizzy spells where he falls over. Increased depression. OMG the horrifying facial ticks and the Dr won't do a thing. Sleeps his life away. Developed GERD as well. I personally believe this drug is harming him.”

M · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2019

“This was used as a last resort for me for my Bipolar disorder after being in the hospital as most medications I had tried previously were not helping me. I would definitely say that clozapine saved my life and helped me out of some very dark times, but it also comes at a cost. Before I started it 3 years back, I weighed 160lb and now I’m 250lb pounds. I’m always tired and could easily sleep 12 hours. The constant blood work is also very annoying. If needed this drug can be beneficial but be warned that it has many side effects”

Hopeful Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “Our son disintegrated throughout college. Went to lots of docs, given a lot of meds, allergy and asthma, anti depressant and anti anxiety. Of course it was classic schizophrenia prodrome, no one bothered to say he was high risk for psychosis. After 2 breaks, 5 hospitalizations (2 by court order) and trying haldol, geodon, seroquel, abilify..suicidality. Started clozapine 3 months ago, read 1st novel in 4 yrs, running, laughing again schizophrenia symptoms fading. Not working yet but more hope. Gained 40lbs”

Sabrina · Taken for 10 years or more March 22, 2019

Clozaril (clozapine) for Schizophrenia: “I had Major Depression with psychotic features and have been on clozaril for 11 blessed years, it works so well. I have long ago lost track of all the antipsychotics and antidepressants I have tried.”

Invis · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2019

For Schizophrenia: “Posted a review on Olanzapine on 2017-01-12 (2 years ago) on this site w/same name (Invis). Got switched to Clozapine; first dose was Dec 13, 2017; 12.5mg. I am now on 275mg a night. What a life saver, I wish I took this to begin with as I strongly believe voices would be 100% gone by now, anyway, they are pretty much there 5-15% of the time now. Blood tests aren't an issue for me. Used to it now but shoulder area of shirt and pillow are pretty wet in the morning from drooling. Weight is now 200-205 lbs, won't budge even from treadmill fast walking 20 mins/day and pants size is now 38 from 30-32 lol. All of these are small prices to pay for being healthy again. 10/10”

Dmom · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 10, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “My son starting showing signs of psychosis right after his 14th bday. Diagnosed with schizophrenia 6 months later. He was in a constant state of his own reality and heard voices on a regular basis. Seroqel, Zyprexa, Invega, and Ability did nothing for him. His psychiatrist prescribed Clozapine as a last resort. I won't allow his dosage any higher than 300mg per day for now since the side effects worry me. This drug has been a lifesaver to allow him to participate in the regular world and quiet the voices where he can focus on real ppl. It makes him drowsy so he takes it at night. Weight gain is significant but most antipsychotics will do this. Regular blood monitoring to make sure his WBC stays normal. So good, so far.”

Chris · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “Clozapine has RUINED my life!!! I now suffer permanent brain damage after 18 years of taking it. I cannot think straight, slow thought process, memory loss, confused, terrible concentration to name a few. I do NOT recommend long term use of this drug!!!!”

Lucy September 15, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “This is my son 10th day on it .He still in the hospital I see a change in him so far . I will update again when he gets out the hospital.”

LastResort · Taken for 10 years or more April 26, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “After trying many AP's, Clozapine finally settled my Schizoaffective/Schizophenia symptoms. Has a number of side effects, noticably, moderate OCD, temporary stiffness in joints and some initial weight gain. After 10 years, about to swap over to a new drug called Reluxta, which is now on Australian PBS list for AUD$40 (previously AUD$1700). Reluxta is suitable for those coming off Clozapine (slowly), with usually better results & fewer side effects. Some patients may still need to take a reduced Clozapine amount, while taking Reluxta as the main AP.”

Chris Michelle · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 24, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “This drug almost killed me. My white cell count was so low, I was getting fevers every other day and I had severe diarrhea for almost a full year. When I finally sought medical help no one could help me. I asked to stop the drug and I slowly got better. As much as this drug is praised, it is unnecessarily overprescribed. In some European countries it is banned, and for good reason. My quality of life was horrible on this drug. Gained weight, constipated once for a whole week, I could not find a good job, and developed extreme OCD that dissipated as soon as drug was stopped. I do not recommend. You are better off turning to your local charity organization for help than getting involved with any doctor that willingly prescribes this without properly assessing your situation. Good luck.”

Brandon J · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 10, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “Clozapine has given me my life back. Much of the problems or symptoms of my Schizophrenia are reduced. The only down side has been urinary incontinence. I am now back to wearing diapers just in case, but it is a minor price to pay in order to get my life and head space back.”

Jerio · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 18, 2018

Clozaril (clozapine): “This drug is too dangerous It is too difficult to titrate off and it causes rebound psychosis with a vengeance, along with vomiting and excruciating headaches While on this drug it shuts down the brain and body causing obesity and constipation It is sad to know this drug can be forced onto humans with "no consent" as it really will ruin you life unless you prefer a chemical restraint The blood draws are nearly impossible for people who are not wanting to take this but if you abruptly stop this drug you will feel like you are dying 350 mg was a chemical restraint and our family member lost his whole personality and ability to function at all on this mind alternating drug with 5 black box warning Do not start this drug unless you like mind torture”

resilient Nicole January 26, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “My daughter has schizophrenia since 19 years old and had first gone thru most of the other medications, which did not work well, she even attempted suicide. Finally she was put on Clozapine, which helped her so much that she even managed to graduate with a BA. There are negative side effects such as constipation, weight gain (which she is fighting successfully with Weight Watchers), and her voices do break thru once in a while and some psychosis sometimes. But she is incredibly resilient. All in all, clozapine is to her like a wonder drug. Hopefully better medications will arrive in the future.”

shahnila fahmi · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2018

For Schizophrenia: “I am using Clozapine 1 mg from last three years coz I am suffering from auditory hallucination from 2010 till now. I am under treatment and my doctor is saying I will have to take medicines whole life and there is no permanent solution. If any doctor knows any permanent solution please contact me. Clozapine is not for supressing negative voices but is used to calm you and relax you and reduce stress and help you to sleep better. For Visual and auditory hallucination , Respiridone 1 mg is useful daily but Clozapine and Respiridone increase your weight too much. In my case, my weight increased from 45 kg to 67 kg in just three years.”

Videokitten · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 27, 2017

For Schizophrenia: “In 2012 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia after hearing voices talking to me day and night and couldn't sleep. I went on invega and then Risperidone but they both made me feel like a zombie because I had to be on the highest dose. I had akathisia and I was restless and tired at the same time and just wanted to sleep all day but physically couldn't and very depressed. I would hear voices every night when it would wear off. I had intrusive thoughts also. My doctor suggested trying 250mg Clozapine but I was scared. It is a miracle drug! The outside voices went away and the thoughts that weren't my own! I have no side effects and I am happier now! After a year you only have to get your blood drawn once a month. Worth it to have my life back!”

JoeRon · Taken for 10 years or more February 5, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I tried every psych medicine on the market and none controlled my bipolar problem until I was prescribed clozapine. This med has given me my life back. I am able to live a balanced, normal life on this med with little to no ill side effects. This med controls my manic, erratic behaviors and I feel stable.”