User Reviews for Acetaminophen / hydrocodone to treat Cough

Also known as: Norco, Lortab, Lorcet, Hycet, Lorcet Plus, Verdrocet, Co-Gesic, Duocet, Duradyne DHC, Hydrogesic, Margesic H, Anexsia, Lorcet HD, Hy-Phen Xodol Dolagesic Zyfrel Dolacet Theracodophen Low 90 Anolor DH5 …show all brand names

Acetaminophen / hydrocodone has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings for the treatment of Cough. 96% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 4% reported a negative effect.

Acetaminophen/hydrocodone Rating Summary

9.6/10 average rating

Compare all 416 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Acetaminophen / hydrocodone

Babs · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2020

“I have had a chronic cough for more than 10 years. Had many xrays, tests and scopes. Was told allergies...tried inhalers and allergy meds. Tore out carpet in house. Nothing has worked. Doctor has no solutions for me. Now during COVID19 I'm constantly having to say "I've had this cough for 10 years. I can clear out a store with my cough. The only thing ever stopped my cough was when I was on Norco for a knee replacement. My cough stopped the day of surgery and no cough until the day I ended Norco. I am a person that does not like to take meds. But if I could get the doctor to prescribe a very small amount that works, I would take it. This cough is annoying and keeps me from sleeping. Many times I've told my husband he may want to sleep in the guest room so I don't disturb his sleep.”

Hugh G. Rection January 25, 2020

“Demanded Tussionex at the clinic for a nagging cough. Dr said she would give me codine instead. I said I could drink a pint of Jack Daniels to make me pass out, or she could prescribe Tussionex Suspension liquid. She asked "where did you hear this?", austensively to shoot it down. I showed he my phone with this page. Shut her dumb ass right up. Doctors are NOT patient advocates. You are the best advocate for yourself. Don't automatically trust someone that is practicing.”

coco · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 15, 2019

“I have had, as others have said, a cough which prevented me from sleeping at night and was a huge problem during the workday. I initially took hydrocodone for pain but noticed that, although it did not work for pain, somehow my cough stopped! I now take a half pill every four hours and get through my day comfortably. Have had numerous tests to determine reason for the cough - no answers - but at least I found something that works. Up to that point I had tried every cough medicine under the sun and none worked.”

Anonymous June 23, 2008

Vicodin (acetaminophen / hydrocodone): “I had been prescribed this for pain but had caught a cold. I read that hydrocodone is used for cough, so I tried it. I had one of those coughs that just doesn't let up and makes you nuts because you can't sleep, eat, talk, etc. Within a half hour of taking a Vicodin 10, I finally stopped coughing uncontrollably. It worked better than the codeine I had taken years ago for cough. I only needed it for 2 days for the cough and it was a lifesaver.”

relief...finally · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2014

“I have been struggling with a nagging cough for over a month, went to the doctor twice, finally I called them back yesterday because I was getting no relief, hadn't sleep in days, was driving my husband & coworkers nuts with my hacking. When they called me back & told me they were calling Loratab in to the pharmacy, I was confused & my coworkers were skeptical & thought my doctors office made a mistake...so I researched it & found it can actually be used for this purpose. Within 10 minutes I was finally going longer than 30 seconds without coughing for the first time in weeks. Needless to say, myself & everyone else = AMAZED. Who woulda thought...”

Anonymous December 26, 2011

“Hydrocodone (either in the form of Lortab or Tussionex) is the ONLY thIng that works for my cough. I was diagnosed with asthma as a child and I ALWAYS have problems with a chronic cough when I get sick. I've been taking everything imaginable for the past 3 days to try and calm the cough so I can sleep- Robitussin, Delsym, Cheratussin AC (yes! even codeine didn't work!), Asmanex and Albuterol. I had to go to the ER tonight and BEG the doctor for it since I'm not in any pain. He didn't believe me when I told him hydrocodone is the only thing that works for my cough. He said its just a myth... but here I am, 45 minutes later without the coughing!”

bradtech · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 16, 2013

“I have had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease for the last 15 years(C.O.P.D.). And of course, coughing has been a very troublesome problem for me. About 10 years ago I pulled a muscle in my back and the doctor prescribed hydrocodone for me. I noticed immediately that relieved me off considerably. It also helps me breathe much easier. I believe it is a very effective cough suppressant.”

Coughing head · Taken for 10 years or more September 21, 2020

“I discover my chronic cough goes away within 15 minutes with a small dose of Norco. It last for 6 hours. Been taking it for 15 years. Never have to increase the dose. I have tried everything the ENT , lung specialist, allergy doc etc . Once a year I stop for a couple months to see if will go away and it’s always there. Im 67 years old, and if they ever take it alway , I will go to the streets to get my cough under total control. It’s seems like it has such a bad connotation, but it works! I get my liver tested twice a year . So far so good. I have tried inhalers, and have around ten different meds which didn’t even touch my cough.”

sc00b3rt · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2013

“Horrible sore throat combined with nonstop coughing. It was painful to say the least. Took the Vicodin and stopped coughing. I had tried everything over the counter, teas, honey lemon, vaporizer, vapor rubs, hot showers, etc. This is the only thing that stopped the coughing.”

Postive!!! December 26, 2015

“When I get a cold I get the worst cough imaginable. I actually reach a point where I feel I'm choking and gasping for air. I have had this problem my whole life (50 years) and I have only found one thing that works and that is Hydrocodone Acet It works within a couple minutes of taking it and lasts for at least 4 hours. It is a miracle drug to me. Because it is a narcotic, I only allow myself to take it at night time and has to be a horrible horrible cough. Lucky - no side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2017

“I had a bad cold with sore throat and annoying cough. I was waking up coughing and miserable. After taking Norco 5 mg with acetaminophen 325 mg. I no longer had the sore throat or the cough. I could rest comfortably. I continued to take the Norco until I felt better. The Norco made a huge difference. I do not see why anyone needs to suffer when there is a solution for a short term issue.”

Anonymous June 6, 2016

“I awoke this morning with a cough that I know all too well. At times when the weather is damp I experience an asthmatic type cough that causes spasms. I cough, try clearing my throat, use my inhaler ( which, incidentally I rarely use as I rarely have asthmatic attacks), however my point is that the only medication that completely erases this itchy, non-stopping, irritating cough..and it is a godsend, is a lortab. My prescription is for back pain..again only used when I have unbearable pain. I only use maybe a third or a half tablet.. Curiously, I googled to see if there were others such as myself who have found relief from these horrible coughing spells using not even a dose..just the right amount to thankfully have peace..thank you all.”

jake2016 November 2, 2016

“I have always had an uncontrollable cough when I got a cold. A few years ago, I got a bad cold and ended up in the emergency room because I couldn't get any sleep for days because of the coughing. Surprisingly, they gave me Vicodin. And it WORKED! I am 63 years old and I am so angry that I have suffered for years and years with a spastic cough. I could drink bottles of cough syrup and the only thing that would happen is that I would be loopy, but still coughing. I only take a Vicodin at night to sleep. I do not ever want to lose the calming effect by taking more than I need.”

Bruce WayneGacy · Taken for 10 years or more February 1, 2020

“I've been using Norco for over 10 years to treat my chronic pain. Surprisingly I found out it works great for flu medicine. I take it and my cough and flu symptoms are greatly reduced for hours. Who would have known? Works better than the original NyQuil. Too bad it's abused, because this medicine works fantastic. I hope one day they can find a medicine that works just as good as Norco that is not addictive. I've been taking the same dose everyday and have not increased it, but I'm rare I guess.”

Bill February 24, 2018

“I rarely use Norco. My prescription is about 5 years out of date. I found out a few years ago that the Norco worked great when I had a terrible cough. Worked much better than anything prescription or over the counter cough meds I'd taken in the past. Told this to one of my doctors and really got the stink-eye. Just don't really like the side effects of hydrocodone... But way better than suffering a hacking cough!”

deek · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

“Works great as a cough suppressant. I started with the recommended 5 ml (1 tsp) and that was way too much for me. I woke up multiple times that night with difficulties swallowing/breathing. Next night I took a half dose – which was perfect! My recommendation: start with a lower dose and take a bit more if you have to. (But not more than the max. recommended dose.)”

Hugh Man Bean · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 1, 2014

“I took one for another pain issue, but I was also suffering a severe cough at the time. Cough went away, almost like magic. Didn't really put the two together, until I did it again, next day. But like what another writer posted, take too much and prepare for some awful hallucinations. I only take half dose. The nausea side effect can get annoying as well.”

HDWitch September 30, 2008

“As my name suggests, I am a believer and user of natural medicines and DO NOT let doctors "practice" on me. I research and use common sense and logic when dealing with prescription drugs. This drug (hydrocodone) is an excellant cough suppressant. It works by calming the urge or spasm that makes us cough and can be used in conjuction with an expectorant(like Guaf or Mullen Tea) if needed. It can be ground and mixed with cough syrup. Be aware of the dosing, especially when dealing with children, promote responsible drug use.”

Calif.debbie · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2013

“This is the only med that worked for my uncontrollable cough. Even codeine didn't work, and I couldn't get to sleep. If I take 2 teaspoons I start to hallucinate so I stick with 1 teaspoon of the syrup.”

Kiki · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2020

“I have a cough off and on for 5 weeks. No over the counter cough syrup works. I am using Vicks, humidifier and vaporizer. Also, warm liquids and stay out of cold and windy weather. When I eat food or talk my cough is aggravated and chest hurts. I take 5-325 hydrocodone-acetaminophen and drink 2 bottles of water to clear throat.”

Anonymous September 30, 2011

Lortab (acetaminophen / hydrocodone): “Works great for cough.”

Krazkm22 April 27, 2009

“It definitely helps. It takes the itchiness out of the throat and really calms the cough.”

Anonymous September 30, 2011

Lortab (acetaminophen / hydrocodone): “This medicine works perfect.”

treecy November 6, 2013

Vicodin ES (acetaminophen / hydrocodone): “Works great.”

Anonymous September 30, 2011

Lortab (acetaminophen / hydrocodone): “Works great.”

Learn more about Cough