User Reviews for Acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine to treat Headache

Also known as: Fioricet, Zebutal, Margesic, Phrenilin Forte, Vanatol LQ, Anolor 300, Vanatol S, Capacet

Acetaminophen/butalbital/caffeine Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 255 medications used in the treatment of Headache.

Reviews for Acetaminophen/butalbital/caffeine

Katie · Taken for 10 years or more August 23, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "FIORICET is the ONLY RX to lessen or stop my daily migraines of 15 years. Like many others, I have tried many things, always under the care of my neurologist and primary care, and pain management doctor. I never used more than prescribed. I would prefer not using it, due to the stigma of using a narcotic. Medicare Part D doesn't cover it. Only another migraine suffer knows."

addieje53 · Taken for 10 years or more August 17, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I've had migraines for about 30+ years. After many tests and trials by a neurologist, she put me on a "triple therapy" treatment consisting of 25 mg Indomethacin capsule, 50 mg Fioricet, & an anti-nausea med. I stopped taking the anti-nausea meds because I never get nauseous with my migraines but the other 2 are the ONLY meds that have ever totally gotten rid of my migraines. So my testament is from using these 2 for over 30 years. At the first sign of a migraine or waking up with one, I usually take 1 indomethacin and 1/2 tablet Fioricet and I'm good for the rest of the day! Thumbs Up!!"

blueballerina · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I had my 1st migraine/tension headache about 10yrs ago. I was on Midrin,(which is THE BEST med IMO) before it went off market. Next:Imitrex,it was ok until I developed Serotonin Syndrome, so I’m banned from Triptans & Ergo’s. Then the"replacement"for Midrin had come out ,but IT went off the market too! So now Fioricet! I was on 1cap: 2X’s/day PRN w/no relief & also no SE’s. Now I take 2caps PRN & it’s close to how Midrin worked, so I’m happy with it!"

Cilly June 17, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I have had a headaches of some sort since 1992. Migraine, tension and cluster among others I can't describe. This is the only med that comes close to giving me relief! It's not intended for migraines but, it seems to take the sharp edge off of it! Thank goodness I haven't had any bad side effects from it. Now and then I will have a rebound h/a but nothing bad!"

Bexbexrix · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2019

"Only med that helps with my pain from migraines and cervical spondylosis . One or two a day can keep things at bay. When I have a bad day 3-4 and sleep does the trick. I have tried every migraine med out there. Cannot take narcotic pain meds (they never help with migraines anyway) Always go back to this oldie, and in my case, goodie."

Wynnielove · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Such a great headache medication! I do prefer the Codeine version"

Migraine sufferer124 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 9, 2019

"Migraine sufferer since my childhood. I get them a few times a month. Doctor prescribed this for me. I have tried the medication five times now (five different occassions) over the course of this year. Absolutely no effect. No change in head pain, and no other noticeable effects whatsoever. I'm super sensitive to any medication (even normal tylenol). So this strikes me as very odd. Wondering if my medication is just a placebo or got accidentally switched or mismarked. Anyway, I will be going back to the doctor to ask for something different."

Kshea · Taken for 10 years or more February 28, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I began getting migraines about a year after my first child .. It is legit hands down the best drug I've taken for migraine. I stopped drinking in 2011 fully expecting to be healthy. That didn't even happen a little bit. I've devoted diabetes, and when my bs crashes, I instantly get a migraine. Fioricet works better than any drug that I've tried. The only thing that I don't like is sometimes I do get a rebound headache or the hangover feeling."

meg · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2019

"I was nervous to take this medicine because of some of the reviews. but WOW! it sure works!! I had a tension headache due to being 17 weeks pregnant and this is the only thing the Doctor could prescribe me as Tylenol was not working. I took this medicine at home first to make sure it didn't make me tired. When I got home it kicked in within 15 minutes, and it did not make me tired! I highly recommend this for severe headaches!"

Honest1inVA February 8, 2019

"When I was 19, The doctor initially put me on Fioricet which was GREAT. Most insurance refused to cover Fioricet, so, they prescribed the Generic , BUPAP 5-325-40. They have always worked very well on my migraines. I've taken these pills for 30 years and they work well, however, lately, CVS filled my RX and , I've had a few pills (out of the 90 pill bottle) that threw me for a loop. Not sure WTH happened, but, something was definitely "off" with them. Looked the same but the side effects were WEIRD and SCARY. Last night, I took one pill-when I laid down, I felt like I couldn't breathe right and got chills, shaky, leg pain/heaviness, lightheaded and had to walk around for hours because I was afraid to lie down. This only USED to happen when they gave me the CAPSULES with Codeine --which I stopped taking. Not sure if anyone else has had a "ringer" in their bottle?? I want to get a new RX but I don't know if it will happen again."

sbt · Taken for 10 years or more February 3, 2019

"This medication has always worked for me when I get migraines."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2019

"This did not work for me. I used to take Midrin but they took it off the market - so I got this instead. This didn't help me "

Brandy · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 30, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Fiorcet works to eliminate most of my migraine symptoms; ie: tight, tense neck, shoulders, upper back and facial muscles, throbbing, radiating and stabbing pains and nausea. It greatly reduces and sometimes eliminates changes in tastes and smells, sound and light sensitivities."

OBXHippieChick December 4, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I noticed a few people mentioned that their insurance didn't cover it. I experienced the same problem. Insurance didn't cover my script. Then one day a pharmacist tried to run it as a pill instead of the capsule and like magic insurance covered the script. Fioricet works wonders for my migraines and tension headaches. Unfortunately, I go to a local clinic where doctor turnover is high so I have to jump through hoops and have my meds screwed with about every six months. They always end up prescribing me fioricet but, not until they try a litany of trial and error on my headaches. I've have clusters, migraines and tension headaches since 1971. I used to take darvocet 100's and they quit making those. Then midrin and they stopped that. Now fioricet and they're kind of weird about that. Just remember to try the pill and not capsule tablets and set if your insurance is more user friendly."

Deb · Taken for 10 years or more September 3, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I have had migraine headaches for over 30 yrs. I have taken MANY meds that were prescribed by Neurologists that created a lot of side affects- none that were helpful. I now take 2 Fiorocet pills everyday and find it manages my chronic daily headaches most days. I know it is believed that my headaches may be rebound headaches but all the many attempts to address this have failed. My use has not escalated, and I am able to work at a demanding job and be present for my family. I am very grateful for Fiorocet!"

butalbital rocks · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Do not let the big drug company sponsored research scare you out of trying this medication for your tension HA. I have tried several medications in the past. All with promises of being the miracle drug for me. Fioricet is the only medication that allowed me to be truly free of my HA. I was unable to work and collected unemployment. Fioricet allowed me to work and be free from government over site. Thank you to all the companies out there that don't let the old line drugs fall away from doctors site."

Mandergoo · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "This literally took away a tension headache I had for 3 days within 20 minutes. I couldn’t believe how fast it worked. Nothing else has helped me in the past."

RedBandit July 13, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I have had a headache non stop for 8 months now. Fioracet is the only thing saving me. It stops the pain (till it wears off) with no side effects. I hate taking meds. But this one I have to give a 10 stars!"

Stitches June 22, 2018

"Generic does not work as well as Fiorocet"

MissSheltie · Taken for 10 years or more June 15, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "The only thing that works for severe headaches on the back and top of head."

Jolyn · Taken for 10 years or more May 28, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Only thing that works 90% of the time with no side effects. Now the VA will not dispense it even with my Neurologists prescriptions."

Harry · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 18, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "So thankful for Flioricet as I have had migraines/tension headaches for ten years daily. I can tell they are coming on and take 2 tabs within 15 minutes have relief without side effects. A specialist tried 2 other pills that mad me dizzy for 2 days as required before he would do Botox. He also tried amitripline along with the firocet which gave me relief plus great sleep..maybe too much. I have been charged up to nearly $1000/ year for 2 each 12 hours as needed... basically daily. I have demanded and gotten a $243 price, / 120 days, self pay, as my insurance does not have it in the formulary. Why is it so costly?...."

K.S. · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2018

"For me, it works very well for migraines. I read below where it caused someone else a seizure. First time I've ever heard that before. Perhaps they had a rare allergic reaction or mixed it with something else that was not compatible. This drug had been around a long time. It works very well for me. I used to get migraines before my periods, and it worked great. I would take 1 or 2 pills as needed. Later on, after I was post menopausal and went on bio identical hormones (all natural and custom to what my body needs) and between treatments (lasts 3 to 4 months) I might get migraines before I am due for more hormone pellets, and I take the generic for Fioricet, and it works great. Never had any problems. I know of other people who have used it without any issues. So it works well for stress headaches or hormone headaches."

Sh’reen · Taken for 10 years or more April 28, 2018

"Nothing else works as well. The problem is the price keeps going up even for the 325 tablets. This drug has been around since the 80's at least. So no reason to charge so much - no new research nor change of ingredients has been done on this one Several years ago they reduced the amount of acetaminophen to 300. But it costs more. They reduce the amount of active ingredient and charge more. Explain that !!!!"

BsubsN11 March 13, 2018

"Has been the most helpful medicine I have ever taken for migraines. I take topamax regularly to prevent them and if it gets really bad the fioricet is so great to have. One drawback is my dr doesn’t like prescribing it due to the barbiturate in it, so I try to get by with ibuprofen as often as possible."