User Reviews for Acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine to treat Headache

Also known as: Capacet, Esgic, Fioricet, Margesic, Medigesic, Orbivan, Repan, Vanatol LQ, Zebutal, ...show all 36 brand namesEsgic-Plus, Arcet, Isocet, Pharmagesic, Anoquan, Two-Dyne, Tenake, Anolor 300, Femcet, Geone, Tencet, Triad, Fiorpap, Dolmar, Endolor, Ezol, Ide-cet, G-1, Minotal, Mygracet, Pacaps, Alagesic, Americet, Nonbac, Dolgic LQ, Dolgic Plus, Vanatol S

Acetaminophen/butalbital/caffeine Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of Headache.

Reviews for Acetaminophen/butalbital/caffeine

"Migraine sufferer since my childhood. I get them a few times a month. Doctor prescribed this for me. I have tried the medication five times now (five different occassions) over the course of this year. Absolutely no effect. No change in head pain, and no other noticeable effects whatsoever. I'm super sensitive to any medication (even normal tylenol). So this strikes me as very odd. Wondering if my medication is just a placebo or got accidentally switched or mismarked. Anyway, I will be going back to the doctor to ask for something different."

Migraine sufferer124 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I began getting migraines about a year after my first child .. It is legit hands down the best drug I've taken for migraine. I stopped drinking in 2011 fully expecting to be healthy. That didn't even happen a little bit. I've devoted diabetes, and when my bs crashes, I instantly get a migraine. Fioricet works better than any drug that I've tried. The only thing that I don't like is sometimes I do get a rebound headache or the hangover feeling."

Kshea (taken for 10 years or more) February 28, 2019

"I was nervous to take this medicine because of some of the reviews. but WOW! it sure works!! I had a tension headache due to being 17 weeks pregnant and this is the only thing the Doctor could prescribe me as Tylenol was not working. I took this medicine at home first to make sure it didn't make me tired. When I got home it kicked in within 15 minutes, and it did not make me tired! I highly recommend this for severe headaches!"

meg (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2019

"When I was 19, The doctor initially put me on Fioricet which was GREAT. Most insurance refused to cover Fioricet, so, they prescribed the Generic , BUPAP 5-325-40. They have always worked very well on my migraines. I've taken these pills for 30 years and they work well, however, lately, CVS filled my RX and , I've had a few pills (out of the 90 pill bottle) that threw me for a loop. Not sure WTH happened, but, something was definitely "off" with them. Looked the same but the side effects were WEIRD and SCARY. Last night, I took one pill-when I laid down, I felt like I couldn't breathe right and got chills, shaky, leg pain/heaviness, lightheaded and had to walk around for hours because I was afraid to lie down. This only USED to happen when they gave me the CAPSULES with Codeine --which I stopped taking. Not sure if anyone else has had a "ringer" in their bottle?? I want to get a new RX but I don't know if it will happen again."

Honest1inVA February 8, 2019

"This medication has always worked for me when I get migraines."

sbt (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2019

"This did not work for me. I used to take Midrin but they took it off the market - so I got this instead. This didn't help me "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Fiorcet works to eliminate most of my migraine symptoms; ie: tight, tense neck, shoulders, upper back and facial muscles, throbbing, radiating and stabbing pains and nausea. It greatly reduces and sometimes eliminates changes in tastes and smells, sound and light sensitivities."

Brandy (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 30, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I noticed a few people mentioned that their insurance didn't cover it. I experienced the same problem. Insurance didn't cover my script. Then one day a pharmacist tried to run it as a pill instead of the capsule and like magic insurance covered the script. Fioricet works wonders for my migraines and tension headaches. Unfortunately, I go to a local clinic where doctor turnover is high so I have to jump through hoops and have my meds screwed with about every six months. They always end up prescribing me fioricet but, not until they try a litany of trial and error on my headaches. I've have clusters, migraines and tension headaches since 1971. I used to take darvocet 100's and they quit making those. Then midrin and they stopped that. Now fioricet and they're kind of weird about that. Just remember to try the pill and not capsule tablets and set if your insurance is more user friendly."

OBXHippieChick December 4, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I have had migraine headaches for over 30 yrs. I have taken MANY meds that were prescribed by Neurologists that created a lot of side affects- none that were helpful. I now take 2 Fiorocet pills everyday and find it manages my chronic daily headaches most days. I know it is believed that my headaches may be rebound headaches but all the many attempts to address this have failed. My use has not escalated, and I am able to work at a demanding job and be present for my family. I am very grateful for Fiorocet!"

Deb (taken for 10 years or more) September 3, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Do not let the big drug company sponsored research scare you out of trying this medication for your tension HA. I have tried several medications in the past. All with promises of being the miracle drug for me. Fioricet is the only medication that allowed me to be truly free of my HA. I was unable to work and collected unemployment. Fioricet allowed me to work and be free from government over site. Thank you to all the companies out there that don't let the old line drugs fall away from doctors site."

butalbital rocks (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "This literally took away a tension headache I had for 3 days within 20 minutes. I couldn’t believe how fast it worked. Nothing else has helped me in the past."

Mandergoo (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I have had a headache non stop for 8 months now. Fioracet is the only thing saving me. It stops the pain (till it wears off) with no side effects. I hate taking meds. But this one I have to give a 10 stars!"

RedBandit July 13, 2018

"Generic does not work as well as Fiorocet"

Stitches June 22, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "The only thing that works for severe headaches on the back and top of head."

MissSheltie (taken for 10 years or more) June 15, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Only thing that works 90% of the time with no side effects. Now the VA will not dispense it even with my Neurologists prescriptions."

Jolyn (taken for 10 years or more) May 28, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "So thankful for Flioricet as I have had migraines/tension headaches for ten years daily. I can tell they are coming on and take 2 tabs within 15 minutes have relief without side effects. A specialist tried 2 other pills that mad me dizzy for 2 days as required before he would do Botox. He also tried amitripline along with the firocet which gave me relief plus great sleep..maybe too much. I have been charged up to nearly $1000/ year for 2 each 12 hours as needed... basically daily. I have demanded and gotten a $243 price, / 120 days, self pay, as my insurance does not have it in the formulary. Why is it so costly?...."

Harry (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2018

"For me, it works very well for migraines. I read below where it caused someone else a seizure. First time I've ever heard that before. Perhaps they had a rare allergic reaction or mixed it with something else that was not compatible. This drug had been around a long time. It works very well for me. I used to get migraines before my periods, and it worked great. I would take 1 or 2 pills as needed. Later on, after I was post menopausal and went on bio identical hormones (all natural and custom to what my body needs) and between treatments (lasts 3 to 4 months) I might get migraines before I am due for more hormone pellets, and I take the generic for Fioricet, and it works great. Never had any problems. I know of other people who have used it without any issues. So it works well for stress headaches or hormone headaches."

K.S. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2018

"Nothing else works as well. The problem is the price keeps going up even for the 325 tablets. This drug has been around since the 80's at least. So no reason to charge so much - no new research nor change of ingredients has been done on this one Several years ago they reduced the amount of acetaminophen to 300. But it costs more. They reduce the amount of active ingredient and charge more. Explain that !!!!"

Sh’reen (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2018

"Has been the most helpful medicine I have ever taken for migraines. I take topamax regularly to prevent them and if it gets really bad the fioricet is so great to have. One drawback is my dr doesn’t like prescribing it due to the barbiturate in it, so I try to get by with ibuprofen as often as possible."

BsubsN11 March 13, 2018

"I've tried a few things for excruciating headaches (topamax, relpax, imitrex), and this. Honestly, it didn't really help with the headache. Still had a throbbing that lasted all day, dulled it a little but I would recommend relpax."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2018

"Best headache medicine ever, works in 15 minutes or less!"

MyNikki December 23, 2017

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Had a seizure for an entire day after not taking this. The situation was a headache, but migraine level, so maybe a migraine. Lights were overpowering, sound was too loud, I couldn’t focus on simply existing. So a hospitalist prescribed me this. After, I had the first seizure of my life, it lasted about half a day. My mother luckily was around the house, and noticed something was off, but it was hours into seizing that she realized what was happening. I awoke in the hospital restarained to the bed and no idea how I got there. If you take multiple medicines, stay away from Fioricet. Now at every hospital visit, I’m put safely with towels around the bed, and have no freedom to even walk. All because of this one experience. Beware of Fioric"

lazen (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Effective for migraine and tension headaches, can cause slurring of speech and over anxiety especially on maximum dose."

Jess211 October 11, 2017

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "Was given foricet at E.R. for Tension headache and I suffer from severe anxiety I immediately had tachycardia (fast heart beat) after taking this drug it got rid of my headache but it left me miserable with my anxiety never taking this again"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): "I started getting severe headaches 3 months after starting a new job I loved; I was only getting between 4-6 hrs of sleep a night after being on my feet 16 hrs a day. Artificial lights were like swords in my brain during the day, and towards the evening were intolerable. Noise was also making my head hurt worse - to the point where I was throwing up from the pain. I was given Topamax and had great results for a week. Then tapered to better results than not taking it. I was still getting the headaches daily. My doctor prescribed Fioricet PRN along with Propanalol to take with the Topamax as a preventative measure. What a relief. What a difference. I had a Doctor of Osteopathy who immediately knew what to prescribe via my symptoms."

aeralynlayla (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2017