User Reviews for Acetaminophen/butalbital/caffeine to treat Headache

Also known as: Fioricet, Vanatol LQ, Capacet, Phrenilin Forte Vtol LQ Anolor 300 Zebutal Vanatol S

Acetaminophen/butalbital/caffeine Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 231 medications used in the treatment of Headache.

Reviews for Acetaminophen/butalbital/caffeine

Nancy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

Esgic (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “Great for my headaches”

Melanie April 2, 2020

“I was just prescribed Butal-acet-caff. As most of you know, nothing relives migraine headaches. I tried it the first time yesterday and didn’t get relief until 2-3 hours later. I don’t know if it was from the medication or it just went away. My migraines always start in the morning and I didn’t get the medication until the afternoon. I’m hoping this will work faster the next time and I can take them at the very start.”

Bamagirls2020 January 15, 2020

“I have had bad stress headaches for as long as I can remember they started around age 11 I’m going to be turning 50 in September. This is the only medicine that works a 100% . my family Dr. put me on them at age 15 so for 35 years I would have probably put myself down if I hadn’t started these. The headaches hurt so bad that I was like I just couldn't go on. I'm so thankful for this medicine.”

Twiggy January 3, 2020

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “It's about a 3 hour span of no effect when taking 1 every 8 hours so not to helpful. Going back to doctor cause the condition is still the same.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 14, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I've had migraines for 40 years and tried everything and the one drug that keeps them at bay is fiorecet . I have to take 3x a day to keep them away. With the new drug rules that you can't get your pain meds until the exact day sucks. Several times when I should be able to get them Walgreens then doesn't stock them so I end up with a bad migraine for 3 days that imitrex barely helps. I too after taking for over 10 years now prefer the codeine version. Neck full of arthritis.”

FaithInYou December 5, 2019

“I have had cluster/tension headaches since my 20’s (I’m now 57). Started with Midrin then it went off market. Imitrex didn’t help & I tried Fioricet. My headaches will start in my right eye, then wrap around my head like a vice and if I don’t take Fioricet within an hour or two, these headaches will last for 2-3 weeks. Then in July of this year, my family dr wanted me to go to a NEUROLIGIST & wouldn’t prescribe it anymore. His office said it was now classified as a narcotic (I’m in FL). So, I’ve taken hoards of Excedrine & ended up with a bleeding ulcer. The nurse at my dr’s office begged me to stop the Excedrine. I told her I can’t get in to my NEUROLIGIST until mid JAN of 2020. I was in tears today. I told her I had taken 6 Excedrine since I woke up. They asked me to do a CT Scan the next day at the hospital but today - he called in 90 Fioricet w/3 refills. I guess they finally believed me.”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 3, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I have suffered from headaches and migraines most of my life. I use to take Excedrin Migraine like candy until my doctor prescribed Fioricet. Works like a charm everytime. Miracle drug in my opinion. I'm 62.”

Bobo · Taken for 10 years or more October 25, 2019

“I noticed that the best time to take the drug (1 pill) is at 4am, when I have to go to the bathroom at night. If I feel that I might be getting a migraine in the morning, I take the pill and go back to sleep. I wake up with no migraine and the migraine is gone for the rest of the day. If I hadn’t taken the pill (at/or around 4 am), a migraine will develop in the morning, and I will not be able to get rid of it, even if I take a pill at 7 or 8 am. Strange.., but I have tested this process a number of times.”

Ann · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 9, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “First this med Fioricet is not addictive. I take it as needed. Originally prescribed years ago for Tension & Sinus headaches. Four years ago had surgery (upper extremity) & have suffered from chronic pain upper back & shoulder muscles as well as upper cervical causing headaches. I take 1/2 tablet every 4 to 6 hrs & allows me to function. Doesn’t ever relieve all the pain Is adequate alternative to dangerous narcotics. NOT ADDICTIVE. Fioricet makes life bearable with no side effects.”

BG · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 8, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I have been in severe chronic pain for 40 years. I suffered from trigeminal neuralgia for twenty years. I had two blood vessels pressing on the trigeminal nerve which feels as though I was bring stabbed with a red hot poker in my right eye. Plus right side of face would pull down with cluster and migraines. For years fioricet was the only med that relieved the nerve pain. I used other pain meds for other pain relief. Ultimately I had to have brain surgery it has a big name but Teflon pads between blood vessels and trigeminal nerve. It worked for 20 years. I now have fifth nerve -glossopharyngeal nerve which runs. Along right side of tongue. An electric shock lasting a split second or longer from one time a day or for 30 minutes. Once a day to every hour. Nerves stays inflamed-like it is scalded. Can’t brush teeth, eat anything spicy, hot, etc. without extreme nerve Pain. The only med. that relieves some of pain is fioricet. Taking two 50-325+ caff.”

Painterqt · Taken for 10 years or more September 24, 2019

“I had severe migraines and tension headaches for years and tried various medicines. As soon as I would find one then they took it off the market… So a friend had me try this one and it worked! And it was easier to get. My doctor prescribed them for me and it’s a pain because my insurance won’t dispense them through my mail order on a regular basis, but I can get them filled by calling the doctors office and picking them up at the local pharmacist. Definitely get the pill not the capsule! So insurance will pay for most of it. The medicine itself works so well to relieve my symptoms of nausea and pain relief with just a mild sedative feeling of relaxation so I can still work. I am so grateful for this medicine”

Katie · Taken for 10 years or more August 23, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “FIORICET is the ONLY RX to lessen or stop my daily migraines of 15 years. Like many others, I have tried many things, always under the care of my neurologist and primary care, and pain management doctor. I never used more than prescribed. I would prefer not using it, due to the stigma of using a narcotic. Medicare Part D doesn't cover it. Only another migraine suffer knows.”

addieje53 · Taken for 10 years or more August 17, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I've had migraines for about 30+ years. After many tests and trials by a neurologist, she put me on a "triple therapy" treatment consisting of 25 mg Indomethacin capsule, 50 mg Fioricet, & an anti-nausea med. I stopped taking the anti-nausea meds because I never get nauseous with my migraines but the other 2 are the ONLY meds that have ever totally gotten rid of my migraines. So my testament is from using these 2 for over 30 years. At the first sign of a migraine or waking up with one, I usually take 1 indomethacin and 1/2 tablet Fioricet and I'm good for the rest of the day! Thumbs Up!!”

blueballerina · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I had my 1st migraine/tension headache about 10yrs ago. I was on Midrin,(which is THE BEST med IMO) before it went off market. Next:Imitrex,it was ok until I developed Serotonin Syndrome, so I’m banned from Triptans & Ergo’s. Then the"replacement"for Midrin had come out ,but IT went off the market too! So now Fioricet! I was on 1cap: 2X’s/day PRN w/no relief & also no SE’s. Now I take 2caps PRN & it’s close to how Midrin worked, so I’m happy with it!”

Cilly June 17, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I have had a headaches of some sort since 1992. Migraine, tension and cluster among others I can't describe. This is the only med that comes close to giving me relief! It's not intended for migraines but, it seems to take the sharp edge off of it! Thank goodness I haven't had any bad side effects from it. Now and then I will have a rebound h/a but nothing bad!”

Bexbexrix · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2019

“Only med that helps with my pain from migraines and cervical spondylosis . One or two a day can keep things at bay. When I have a bad day 3-4 and sleep does the trick. I have tried every migraine med out there. Cannot take narcotic pain meds (they never help with migraines anyway) Always go back to this oldie, and in my case, goodie.”

Wynnielove · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “Such a great headache medication! I do prefer the Codeine version”

Migraine sufferer124 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 9, 2019

“Migraine sufferer since my childhood. I get them a few times a month. Doctor prescribed this for me. I have tried the medication five times now (five different occassions) over the course of this year. Absolutely no effect. No change in head pain, and no other noticeable effects whatsoever. I'm super sensitive to any medication (even normal tylenol). So this strikes me as very odd. Wondering if my medication is just a placebo or got accidentally switched or mismarked. Anyway, I will be going back to the doctor to ask for something different.”

Kshea · Taken for 10 years or more February 28, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I began getting migraines about a year after my first child .. It is legit hands down the best drug I've taken for migraine. I stopped drinking in 2011 fully expecting to be healthy. That didn't even happen a little bit. I've devoted diabetes, and when my bs crashes, I instantly get a migraine. Fioricet works better than any drug that I've tried. The only thing that I don't like is sometimes I do get a rebound headache or the hangover feeling.”

meg · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2019

“I was nervous to take this medicine because of some of the reviews. but WOW! it sure works!! I had a tension headache due to being 17 weeks pregnant and this is the only thing the Doctor could prescribe me as Tylenol was not working. I took this medicine at home first to make sure it didn't make me tired. When I got home it kicked in within 15 minutes, and it did not make me tired! I highly recommend this for severe headaches!”

Honest1inVA February 8, 2019

“When I was 19, The doctor initially put me on Fioricet which was GREAT. Most insurance refused to cover Fioricet, so, they prescribed the Generic , BUPAP 5-325-40. They have always worked very well on my migraines. I've taken these pills for 30 years and they work well, however, lately, CVS filled my RX and , I've had a few pills (out of the 90 pill bottle) that threw me for a loop. Not sure WTH happened, but, something was definitely "off" with them. Looked the same but the side effects were WEIRD and SCARY. Last night, I took one pill-when I laid down, I felt like I couldn't breathe right and got chills, shaky, leg pain/heaviness, lightheaded and had to walk around for hours because I was afraid to lie down. This only USED to happen when they gave me the CAPSULES with Codeine --which I stopped taking. Not sure if anyone else has had a "ringer" in their bottle?? I want to get a new RX but I don't know if it will happen again.”

sbt · Taken for 10 years or more February 3, 2019

“This medication has always worked for me when I get migraines.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2019

“This did not work for me. I used to take Midrin but they took it off the market - so I got this instead. This didn't help me ”

Brandy · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 30, 2019

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “Fiorcet works to eliminate most of my migraine symptoms; ie: tight, tense neck, shoulders, upper back and facial muscles, throbbing, radiating and stabbing pains and nausea. It greatly reduces and sometimes eliminates changes in tastes and smells, sound and light sensitivities.”

OBXHippieChick December 4, 2018

Fioricet (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine): “I noticed a few people mentioned that their insurance didn't cover it. I experienced the same problem. Insurance didn't cover my script. Then one day a pharmacist tried to run it as a pill instead of the capsule and like magic insurance covered the script. Fioricet works wonders for my migraines and tension headaches. Unfortunately, I go to a local clinic where doctor turnover is high so I have to jump through hoops and have my meds screwed with about every six months. They always end up prescribing me fioricet but, not until they try a litany of trial and error on my headaches. I've have clusters, migraines and tension headaches since 1971. I used to take darvocet 100's and they quit making those. Then midrin and they stopped that. Now fioricet and they're kind of weird about that. Just remember to try the pill and not capsule tablets and set if your insurance is more user friendly.”