- This medicine has acetaminophen in it. Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems like the need for a liver transplant have happened with acetaminophen use. Most of the time, liver problems have happened in people taking more than 4,000 milligrams of acetaminophen in a day. Also, people who had liver problems were often using more than 1 drug that had acetaminophen in it. Talk with your doctor.
The Dolgic Plus brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. If generic versions of this product have been approved by the FDA, there may be generic equivalents available.
Uses of Dolgic Plus:
- It is used to treat tension headaches.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Dolgic Plus?
- If you have an allergy to butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine, or any other part of this medicine (Dolgic Plus).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have porphyria.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Dolgic Plus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Dolgic Plus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dolgic Plus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Dolgic Plus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (Dolgic Plus) affects you.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- If you have been taking this medicine (Dolgic Plus) for a long time or at high doses, it may not work as well and you may need higher doses to get the same effect. This is known as tolerance. Call your doctor if this medicine (Dolgic Plus) stops working well. Do not take more than ordered.
- Do not take this medicine (Dolgic Plus) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- If you have been taking this medicine (Dolgic Plus) on a regular basis and you stop it all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. Do not stop taking this medicine (Dolgic Plus) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- Allergic reactions have happened with this medicine (Dolgic Plus). Rarely, some reactions can be very bad or life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid other sources of acetaminophen. Check labels closely. Too much acetaminophen may cause problems.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine (Dolgic Plus).
- Avoid alcohol or other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Call your doctor right away if you take more than 4,000 mg (milligrams) of acetaminophen in a day, even if you feel well.
- Be careful if you have G6PD deficiency. Anemia may happen.
- Limit your use of caffeine (for example, tea, coffee, cola) and chocolate. Use with this medicine (Dolgic Plus) may cause nervousness, shakiness, and a fast heartbeat.
- If you are taking warfarin, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while you are taking it with this medicine (Dolgic Plus).
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (Dolgic Plus) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Dolgic Plus) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Dolgic Plus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Dolgic Plus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Keep a diary of your headaches.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine (Dolgic Plus) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Dolgic Plus) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Shortness of breath.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Slurred speech, stumbling, or feeling confused, very sleepy or dizzy, or drunk.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Dolgic Plus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Belly pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Dolgic Plus?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Dolgic Plus), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine (Dolgic Plus) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine (Dolgic Plus). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine (Dolgic Plus). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine (Dolgic Plus).
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about Dolgic Plus (acetaminophen / butalbital / caffeine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 7 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: analgesic combinations