Generic Name: Benzonatate (ben ZOE na tate)
Brand Name: Tessalon Perles
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 17, 2019.
Uses of Tessalon Perles:
- It is used to relieve coughing.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tessalon Perles?
- If you have an allergy to benzonatate or any other part of this medicine (Tessalon Perles).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Tessalon Perles); any part of this medicine (Tessalon Perles); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Tessalon Perles) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tessalon Perles?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Tessalon Perles). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (Tessalon Perles) affects you.
- Keep this medicine (Tessalon Perles) away from children. Accidental overdose and death have happened in children younger than 10 years old who took this medicine (Tessalon Perles) on accident. Overdose signs may include restlessness, tremors, seizures, passing out, or heart attack. If a child takes this medicine (Tessalon Perles) on accident, get medical help right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Tessalon Perles) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Tessalon Perles) best taken?
Use this medicine (Tessalon Perles) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, open, or dissolve.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine (Tessalon Perles) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Tessalon Perles) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in the way you act.
- Feeling confused.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Numbness and tingling of the mouth, tongue, throat, and face have happened when this medicine (Tessalon Perles) was broken, crushed, chewed, dissolved, or sucked before taking. Choking and very bad allergic reactions have also happened. If numbness or tingling happens, do not eat or drink until it goes away. If you have an allergic reaction or if numbness or tingling lasts or gets worse, call your doctor right away.
What are some other side effects of Tessalon Perles?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Tessalon Perles?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Tessalon Perles), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Tessalon Perles (benzonatate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 115 Reviews
- Drug class: antitussives
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Zonatuss