Generic Name: Perampanel Tablets (per AM pa nel)
Brand Name: Fycompa
Medically reviewed on Feb 6, 2019
- New or worse mental, mood, or behavior problems have happened with this medicine (perampanel tablets). These problems include thoughts of suicide or killing someone else, depression, forceful actions, fury, anxiety, and anger. These problems have happened in people with and without a history of mental or mood problems. Watch people who take this medicine (perampanel tablets) closely. If you think you have any of these problems, call your doctor right away. Call your doctor right away if you have any other signs like nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or any new or worse changes in mood or actions.
Uses of Perampanel Tablets:
- It is used to help control certain kinds of seizures.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Perampanel Tablets?
- If you have an allergy to perampanel or any other part of this medicine (perampanel tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (perampanel tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (perampanel tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Perampanel Tablets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (perampanel tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (perampanel tablets) affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- The chance of falling is raised with this medicine (perampanel tablets). Falls may lead to very bad problems like head injury and broken bones. The chance of falling is higher in older people. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (perampanel tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control products that have levonorgestrel in them may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom if you are using a birth control product with levonorgestrel in it and for 1 month after your last dose of this medicine (perampanel tablets). If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (perampanel tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Perampanel Tablets) best taken?
Use this medicine (perampanel tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take this medicine (perampanel tablets) at bedtime.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking this medicine (perampanel tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Do not stop taking this medicine (perampanel tablets) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of seizures. If you need to stop this drug, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss more than 1 day of taking this medicine (perampanel tablets), talk with your doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling confused.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Memory problems or loss.
- Change in balance.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Trouble walking.
- If seizures are new or worse after starting this medicine (perampanel tablets).
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly effect has happened in people taking drugs for seizures like this medicine (perampanel tablets). Call your doctor right away if you have swollen glands; fever; rash; chest pain; unable to pass urine or change in the amount of urine passed; or signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Perampanel Tablets?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Back pain.
- Weight gain.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Perampanel Tablets?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time this medicine (perampanel tablets) is refilled. If you have any questions about this medicine (perampanel tablets), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about perampanel
- Perampanel Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 34 Reviews
- Drug class: AMPA receptor antagonists
Other brands: Fycompa