User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Prednisone Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 121 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Prednisone to treat Ulcerative Colitis

"(2005) Diagnosed with UC in Australia. I was hospitalized and put on some very strong doses of Prednisone/Cortisone. first as tablets and then via IV. It made me very irritable and made me worse. I ended up getting a subtotal collectomy/j-pouch (& full recovery) (2015) a few weeks ago, I got a really bad case of poison oak. To treat this I was given a cortisone shot and prednisone to take for a week. For the first time in 10 years and post-surgery I had a flair up with blood in my stool and the urgency to go to the toilet. I stopped the prednisone immediately and it has since subsided. but it gave a me a scare! If you read the side effects it very rarely can exacerbate UC conditions. be mindful if you arent getting better to reevaluate!"

Lucky J. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

"Female (23) I was diegnosed with UC in 2008 at age 15. Got horrible abdominal pain, I'd roll up in a ball n just cry, frequent bathroom trips, blood clots and dropped down to 100 pounds. I tried several medications none of them worked except prednizone. I agree side affects are horribly I've had different reactions all 3 times I been put on them feeling wired not sleeping till 6am looking like a chip munk, broke out in itchy bumps on my chest jaw line and back, joint pains BUT as others said it did stop my inflammation immediately. After that I was put on azithiroprine and has been the only medication that has controlled my UC thank goodness . Don't let UC control you. You control UC! Always be srtong and very open minded about your disease "

Teresa143 July 3, 2015

"I was hospitalized three times last year for ulcerative colitis and severe anemia. I had tried asacol, sulfasalazine and nothing worked. I was afraid to try the prednisone and when I finally did, it helped immediately. I could kick myself for waiting so long and almost dying from blood loss before I got It. The side effects that I had were insomnia, feeling wired and roid ragey, and after 7 months on it I gained around 50 lbs. It gives you the mad munchies. It's not long term fix because of the long term health risks, diabetes, vision loss, hump neck, weight gain and it also suppresses your immune system. Remicaid worked for me while I was on prednisone, but once I tapered off I had the most terrible joint pain and arthralgia and edema."

mjmax79 May 24, 2015

"My UC hit me in May of last year and its feb of 15 now. I swelled really bad at first and started bleeding bad in September. I finally got a colonoscopy in Jan. Started Lialda and it knocked the top off but wasnt killing it. I started steroids 4 days ago and wow! Big difference. I ran out of Lialda on a Friday and by Monday, I was swelled and bleeding again. I take them stepping down. 4 a day - 3.... So on down to a half over 6 weeks. In 4 days, I'm close to not knowing there's a problem. The only side effect is that feeling of taking diet pills. I gained 25-30lbs between May and now. I feel great but I can tell the extra weight is there from basically being down for 8 months. I'm coming back very quickly. 33 male"

TWiles (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2015

"I'm 49 - diagnosed at 13 with Ulcerative Colitis. I've had 2 flares over the past 20 years. Both times prednisone worked for me. The most recent flare was last year...my doc was very hesitant to prescribe prednisone due to potential side effect (even though I told him I never had side effects in the past). He tried a lot of things that did nothing for me....Apriso, Uceris, were medicines I remember. After suffering for 3 months he put me on prednisone. It worked like magic within a week and a half! Like someone flicked a switch, all of my terrible symptoms disappeared. Extra energy was the only side effect!"

Jonnyguy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2014

"Works like a charm! Very effective. Miserable side effects. I would take this only for emergencies."

Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2014

"Prednisone works well when it needs to, but the side effects are horrible. I'm only 16, had my first flare when I was 14. I ended up on prednisone for almost 6 months while trying to find a treatment that worked for me (Asacol, then Remicade, etc.) and it did keep my flare in check. While I was on it, I had a huge appetite and ended up gaining close to 20 pounds. My face also got swollen, and I grew hair in some gross places like the back of my neck. After I was off it I slowly returned to my normal weight and most of the side effects disappeared. The side effects are a bummer, but other than that it does it's job."

Guest* December 31, 2013

"Two light flares of ulcerative colitis with hospitalization. Two different doctors prescribed prednisone with the usual two-week regimen. With the 2nd occurrence, the prednisone didn't do it's job. The flare subsided by itself. 3rd occurrence required a f4-wk hospitalization. Prescribed Asacol(800 mg 3x a day) plus IV prednisone. Following release 800 mg Asacol 3x a day and 10mg prednisone by mouth 4x a day. I followed the reduction regimen (decreasing days/dosage) until 14 days were up. Bathroom trips decreased, but then would increase again. Dr and I agreed stopping prednisone too soon. Worked out schedule with doctor. Decrease dose 0.5mg 2wks at a time. Took 8 weeks. It worked. Now have control by taking Sustenex with daily 2,4 gr Asacol."

pjart176 April 4, 2012

"21 year old male. All my life I have been active and healthy, until last month. Bouts and bouts of diarrhea. I thought it was never going to end. At first the doctors thought it was an infection (infectious diarrhea) and put me on antibiotics of a week. That didn't help. It wasn't until I had pain throughout my whole stomach and was admitted into the ER did they perform a colonoscopy and discover that I had moderate to severe ulcerative colitis throughout my entire colon. They put me on Asacol (mesalamine) at 3600mg daily, 3 x 1200mg. That didn't work. Then they tried prednisone. I kid you not, in less than 1 day, my bowel movements went from 30 per day to 5 per day. The pain lessened and no more sudden urges. I wouldn't say I'm out of the woods just yet."

tie January 14, 2012

"10 out of 10 for controlling the colitis and getting the healing process going, but 0 out of 10 for the side effects. Thus, a 5/10 average. Been on prednisone for about 4 months at a variety of doses (40mg to start, then 30, 20, 15, 10, 5). Has alleviated many of the colitis symptoms and allowed for semi-normal bathroom habits. Used in conjunction with mesalamine, canasa, and vancomycin for a stubborn C-diff infection. Side effects: Stimulant effects at first (like too much coffee), elevated mood and MASSIVE appetite, puffy face. During the taper process: insomnia, anxiety, depression, rapid heart beat. NOT FUN. "

AprilLb October 13, 2011

"Well, I have been on it for about 5 months and now being weaned off. Lots of sweating, eyes hurt, joints hurt and my nerves are a bit amplified. No more bleeding, I just hope that when I am all the way off it the pouchitus will not return."

Kymba August 11, 2011

"Severe muscle and joint pain, and chest pain."

Anonymous June 8, 2011

"28/m/150lbs. I've had a bad flare up of ulcerative colitis for a month and finally went to the G.I. doctor. Currently I'm on Asacol HD 4 pills-800mg a day. The medicine seemed to barely work and eating right did nothing to help. Doctor prescribed prednisone and the bathroom visits have been drastically reduced along with bleeding. He also told me not to be Mr. Healthy when it comes to eating, just eat all American food-burgers/pizza/hot dogs that will go right through. I'm on my fourth day of prednisone and it has worked wonders. Only side effects so far is the medicine is like drinking a lot of coffee. I'm wired all the time. My advice to all is if you are having a flare up go to the doctor right away and don't wait, prednisone really helped."

Anonymous December 25, 2010

"By the time I had the colonoscopy that confirmed ulcerative colitis, I had lost 35 pounds I could ill afford. Skin and bones, I was called. In addition to my ulcerative colitis medicine, my Gastro doc put me on 20 mgs of prednisone for its side effect of revving the appetite. It did that with a vengeance. By the time I was weaned off it, I had regained 30 pounds."

jocheyenne February 25, 2010

"Not a suitable long term drug for Ulcerative colitis. It's just put my 75 year old Father in hospital as it's contributed to his blood sugar rising past 30!"

Hicky November 18, 2009

"Prednisone is the only medication that gets my colitis under control and allows healing that allows remission to start. Plus it has no side effects that I detect other than higher energy levels."

HomeyG November 15, 2009

"I feel so fat. My whole body is swollen. I look like a cherub. It does work, but the side effects are harsh. "

Kellise September 13, 2009

"My doctor prescribed this to help with my ulcerative colitis. It has definitely helped and now I'm gradually going off of it. I too experienced a big acne breakout after starting on prednisone. I felt like I was in high school again!! However, I'd rather have the breakouts then the side effects of ulcerative colitis."

Anonymous September 7, 2008