User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Prednisone review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 122 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Prednisone to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Review by Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Works like a charm! Very effective. Miserable side effects. I would take this only for emergencies.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2014 2:23 AM

Review by Guest*:

Prednisone works well when it needs to, but the side effects are horrible. I'm only 16, had my first flare when I was 14. I ended up on prednisone for almost 6 months while trying to find a treatment that worked for me (Asacol, then Remicade, etc.) and it did keep my flare in check. While I was on it, I had a huge appetite and ended up gaining close to 20 pounds. My face also got swollen, and I grew hair in some gross places like the back of my neck. After I was off it I slowly returned to my normal weight and most of the side effects disappeared. The side effects are a bummer, but other than that it does it's job.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2013 10:02 AM

Review by pjart176:

Two light flares of ulcerative colitis with hospitalization. Two different doctors prescribed prednisone with the usual two-week regimen. With the 2nd occurrence, the prednisone didn't do it's job. The flare subsided by itself. 3rd occurrence required a f4-wk hospitalization. Prescribed Asacol(800 mg 3x a day) plus IV prednisone. Following release 800 mg Asacol 3x a day and 10mg prednisone by mouth 4x a day. I followed the reduction regimen (decreasing days/dosage) until 14 days were up. Bathroom trips decreased, but then would increase again. Dr and I agreed stopping prednisone too soon. Worked out schedule with doctor. Decrease dose 0.5mg 2wks at a time. Took 8 weeks. It worked. Now have control by taking Sustenex with daily 2,4 gr Asacol.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2012 7:40 PM

Review by tie:

21 year old male. All my life I have been active and healthy, until last month. Bouts and bouts of diarrhea. I thought it was never going to end. At first the doctors thought it was an infection (infectious diarrhea) and put me on antibiotics of a week. That didn't help. It wasn't until I had pain throughout my whole stomach and was admitted into the ER did they perform a colonoscopy and discover that I had moderate to severe ulcerative colitis throughout my entire colon. They put me on Asacol (mesalamine) at 3600mg daily, 3 x 1200mg. That didn't work. Then they tried prednisone. I kid you not, in less than 1 day, my bowel movements went from 30 per day to 5 per day. The pain lessened and no more sudden urges. I wouldn't say I'm out of the woods just yet.

January 14, 2012 10:11 PM

Review by AprilLb:

10 out of 10 for controlling the colitis and getting the healing process going, but 0 out of 10 for the side effects. Thus, a 5/10 average. Been on prednisone for about 4 months at a variety of doses (40mg to start, then 30, 20, 15, 10, 5). Has alleviated many of the colitis symptoms and allowed for semi-normal bathroom habits. Used in conjunction with mesalamine, canasa, and vancomycin for a stubborn C-diff infection. Side effects: Stimulant effects at first (like too much coffee), elevated mood and MASSIVE appetite, puffy face. During the taper process: insomnia, anxiety, depression, rapid heart beat. NOT FUN.

October 13, 2011 11:47 AM

Review by Kymba:

Well, I have been on it for about 5 months and now being weaned off. Lots of sweating, eyes hurt, joints hurt and my nerves are a bit amplified. No more bleeding, I just hope that when I am all the way off it the pouchitus will not return.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2011 3:50 PM

Severe muscle and joint pain, and chest pain.

June 8, 2011 2:13 AM

28/m/150lbs. I've had a bad flare up of ulcerative colitis for a month and finally went to the G.I. doctor. Currently I'm on Asacol HD 4 pills-800mg a day. The medicine seemed to barely work and eating right did nothing to help. Doctor prescribed prednisone and the bathroom visits have been drastically reduced along with bleeding. He also told me not to be Mr. Healthy when it comes to eating, just eat all American food-burgers/pizza/hot dogs that will go right through. I'm on my fourth day of prednisone and it has worked wonders. Only side effects so far is the medicine is like drinking a lot of coffee. I'm wired all the time. My advice to all is if you are having a flare up go to the doctor right away and don't wait, prednisone really helped.

December 25, 2010 12:32 AM

Review by jocheyenne:

By the time I had the colonoscopy that confirmed ulcerative colitis, I had lost 35 pounds I could ill afford. Skin and bones, I was called. In addition to my ulcerative colitis medicine, my Gastro doc put me on 20 mgs of prednisone for its side effect of revving the appetite. It did that with a vengeance. By the time I was weaned off it, I had regained 30 pounds.

February 25, 2010 4:24 PM

Review by Hicky:

Not a suitable long term drug for Ulcerative colitis. It's just put my 75 year old Father in hospital as it's contributed to his blood sugar rising past 30!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2009 3:54 PM

Review by HomeyG:

Prednisone is the only medication that gets my colitis under control and allows healing that allows remission to start. Plus it has no side effects that I detect other than higher energy levels.

November 15, 2009 2:22 AM

Review by Kellise:

I feel so fat. My whole body is swollen. I look like a cherub. It does work, but the side effects are harsh.

September 13, 2009 8:18 AM

My doctor prescribed this to help with my ulcerative colitis. It has definitely helped and now I'm gradually going off of it. I too experienced a big acne breakout after starting on prednisone. I felt like I was in high school again!! However, I'd rather have the breakouts then the side effects of ulcerative colitis.

September 7, 2008 2:55 AM