Pirbuterol Side Effects
Applies to pirbuterol: inhalation aerosol
Cardiovascular side effects have included palpitations and peripheral vasodilation, commonly resulting in reflex tachycardia. Blood pressure may increase or decrease. Higher doses may rarely aggravate angina, myocardial ischemia, or cause atrial or ventricular arrhythmias.[Ref]
Although most studies have not revealed a significant effect of pirbuterol on blood pressure or heart rate, anecdotally significant increases have been noted. Aggravation of angina may be due to tachycardia produced by pirbuterol. Supraventricular premature beats and ventricular tachycardia have also been reported. Higher doses of pirbuterol should be used with caution in patients with cardiac disease, arrhythmias, or hypertension. All of these effects are dose-related and lower doses may be tolerated.[Ref]
Musculoskeletal side effects have included tremors, especially at higher doses.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included cough. Rare instances of paradoxical bronchoconstriction have been associated with the use of pirbuterol.[Ref]
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 25, 2020.
More about pirbuterol
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: adrenergic bronchodilators
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Maxair (pirbuterol)." 3M Pharmaceuticals, St. Paul, MN.
2. Beumer HM "Pirbuterol versus orciprenaline aerosols in the treatment of bronchial asthma." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 21 (1983): 147-66
3. Richards DM, Brogden RN "Pirbuterol. A preliminary review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in reversible bronchospastic disease." Drugs 30 (1985): 6-21
4. Chodosh S, Crooks LA, Tuck J "Comparative effects of pirbuterol acetate, metaproterenol, and placebo aerosols on pulmonary function and incidence of cardiac ectopy." J Asthma 26 (1989): 309-15
5. Beumer HM "Long-term treatment of bronchial asthma with pirbuterol aerosol." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 21 (1983): 172-5
6. Littner MR, Tashkin DP, Calvarese B, Bautista M "Acute bronchial and cardiovascular effects of increasing doses of pirbuterol acetate aerosol in asthma." Ann Allergy 48 (1982): 14-20
7. Tinkelman DG, Brandon ML, Grieco M, Hudson L, Rosenthal RR, Spector SL, Tashkin D, Votteri B "Comparison of safety and efficacy of inhaled pirbuterol with metaproterenol." Ann Allergy 64 (1990): 202-6
8. Windom H, Grainger J, Burgess C, Crane J, Pearce N, Beasley R "A comparison of the haemodynamic and hypokalaemic effects of inhaled pirbuterol and salbutamol." N Z Med J 103 (1990): 259-61
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.