Pathocil Side Effects
Generic Name: dicloxacillin
Note: This document contains side effect information about dicloxacillin. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Pathocil.
For the Consumer
Applies to dicloxacillin: oral capsules
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dicloxacillin: oral capsule, oral powder for reconstitution
Hepatic side effects have included transient changes in SGOT, hepatotoxicity, and cholestatic hepatitis. Serum transaminase levels may take several weeks to return to normal following discontinuation of therapy.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions have included rash, fever, eosinophilia, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anaphylactic reactions (bronchospasm, hypotension, vascular collapse, death), laryngeal edema, laryngospasm, serum-sickness-like symptoms, fever, chills and myalgias.[Ref]
Renal side effects have rarely included renal failure. Increases in serum creatinine and acute renal failure have been reported with higher doses (3 to 4 grams daily) using an intravenous formulation, in postoperative patients with advanced age. Other penicillins have been associated with renal tubular damage and interstitial nephritis (rash, fever, eosinophilia, hematuria, proteinuria, renal insufficiency).[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Dynapen (dicloxacillin)." Apothecon Inc, Plainsboro, NJ.
2. Kleinman MS, Presberg JE "Cholestatic hepatitis after dicloxacillin-sodium therapy." J Clin Gastroenterol 8 (1986): 77-8
3. Olsson R, Wiholm BE, Sand C, Zettergren L, Hultcrantz R, Myrhed M "Liver damage drom flucloxacillin, cloxacillin and dicloxacillin." J Hepatol 15 (1992): 154-61
4. Saab S, Venkataramani A, Yao F "Possible granulomatous hepatitis after dicloxacillin therapy." J Clin Gastroenterol 22 (1996): 163-4
5. Siegmund JB, Tarshis AM "Prolonged jaundice after dicloxacillin therapy." Am J Gastroenterol 88 (1993): 1299-300
6. Shelley WB, Shelley ED "Shoreline nails: sign of drug-induced erythroderma." Cutis Mar (1985): 220-2
7. Wahlstrom O, Maller R, Larsson R, Kagedal B "Effects of hip arthroplasty and peroperative dicloxacillin prophylaxis on renal function." Scand J Infect Dis 24 (1992): 85-8
8. Nordbring F "Is dicloxacillin nephrotoxic." Acta Orthop Scand 55 (1984): 405-6
9. Isacson J, Collert S "Renal impairment after high doses of dicloxacillin-prophylaxis in joint replacement surgery." Acta Orthop Scand 55 (1984): 407-10
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Pathocil (dicloxacillin)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: penicillinase resistant penicillins