Leukeran Side Effects
Generic name: chlorambucil
Note: This document contains side effect information about chlorambucil. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Leukeran.
Applies to chlorambucil: oral tablets.
- May severely suppress bone marrow function.107 (See Hematologic Effects under Cautions.)
- Known carcinogen.107 (See Carcinogenicity under Cautions.)
- May cause fetal harm.107 (See Fetal/Neonatal Morbidity and Mortality under Cautions.)
- May cause male or female infertility.107 (See Fertility under Cautions.)
Side effects include:
Bone marrow suppression.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to chlorambucil: compounding powder, oral tablet.
Common (1% to 10%): Anemia
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Irreversible bone marrow failure[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Convulsions in children with nephrotic syndrome
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Convulsions, partial and/or generalized in children and adults, ataxia, flaccid paresis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Rash
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Sterile cystitis
Rare (less than 0.1%): Confusion, agitation, hallucinations[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Tremors, muscular twitching, myoclonia
Rare (less than 0.1%): Pyrexia
Frequently asked questions
More about Leukeran (chlorambucil)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (3)
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: alkylating agents
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. Rudd P, Fries JF, Epstein WV. Irreversible bone marrow failure with chlorambucil. J Rheumatol. 1975;2:421-9.
2. Product Information. Leukeran Tablets (chlorambucil). Glaxo Welcome, Research Triangle Pk, NC.
3. Williams SA, Makker SP, Grupe WE. Seizures: a significant side effect of chlorambucil therapy in children. J Pediatr. 1978;93:516-8.
4. Crestani B, Jaccard A, Israel-Biet D, Couderc LJ, Frija J, Clauvel JP. Chlorambucil-associated pneumonitis. Chest. 1994;105:634-6.
5. Giles FJ, Smith MP, Goldstone AH. Chlorambucil lung toxicity. Acta Haematol. 1990;83:156-8.
6. Patel SP, Nast CC, Adler SG. Chlorambucil-induced acute hepatic failure in a patient with membranous nephropathy. Am J Kidney Dis. 2000;36:401-4.
7. Palmer RG, Denman AM. Malignancies induced by chlorambucil. Cancer Treat Rev. 1984;11:121-9.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.