Dynapen Side Effects
Generic Name: dicloxacillin
Note: This document contains side effect information about dicloxacillin. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Dynapen.
For the Consumer
Applies to dicloxacillin: oral capsules
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dicloxacillin: oral capsule, oral powder for reconstitution
Hepatic side effects have included transient changes in SGOT, hepatotoxicity, and cholestatic hepatitis. Serum transaminase levels may take several weeks to return to normal following discontinuation of therapy.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions have included rash, fever, eosinophilia, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anaphylactic reactions (bronchospasm, hypotension, vascular collapse, death), laryngeal edema, laryngospasm, serum-sickness-like symptoms, fever, chills and myalgias.[Ref]
Renal side effects have rarely included renal failure. Increases in serum creatinine and acute renal failure have been reported with higher doses (3 to 4 grams daily) using an intravenous formulation, in postoperative patients with advanced age. Other penicillins have been associated with renal tubular damage and interstitial nephritis (rash, fever, eosinophilia, hematuria, proteinuria, renal insufficiency).[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Dynapen (dicloxacillin)." Apothecon Inc, Plainsboro, NJ.
2. Kleinman MS, Presberg JE "Cholestatic hepatitis after dicloxacillin-sodium therapy." J Clin Gastroenterol 8 (1986): 77-8
3. Olsson R, Wiholm BE, Sand C, Zettergren L, Hultcrantz R, Myrhed M "Liver damage drom flucloxacillin, cloxacillin and dicloxacillin." J Hepatol 15 (1992): 154-61
4. Siegmund JB, Tarshis AM "Prolonged jaundice after dicloxacillin therapy." Am J Gastroenterol 88 (1993): 1299-300
5. Saab S, Venkataramani A, Yao F "Possible granulomatous hepatitis after dicloxacillin therapy." J Clin Gastroenterol 22 (1996): 163-4
6. Shelley WB, Shelley ED "Shoreline nails: sign of drug-induced erythroderma." Cutis Mar (1985): 220-2
7. Wahlstrom O, Maller R, Larsson R, Kagedal B "Effects of hip arthroplasty and peroperative dicloxacillin prophylaxis on renal function." Scand J Infect Dis 24 (1992): 85-8
8. Isacson J, Collert S "Renal impairment after high doses of dicloxacillin-prophylaxis in joint replacement surgery." Acta Orthop Scand 55 (1984): 407-10
9. Nordbring F "Is dicloxacillin nephrotoxic." Acta Orthop Scand 55 (1984): 405-6
Some side effects of Dynapen may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Dynapen (dicloxacillin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: penicillinase resistant penicillins
Other brands: Dycill
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.