Diphen Side Effects
Generic name: diphenhydramine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 3, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about diphenhydramine. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Diphen.
More frequent side effects include: sedated state and thickening of bronchial secretions. Continue reading for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
Applies to diphenhydramine: oral capsules and tablets, parenteral injection.
Side effects include:
Sedation, sleepiness, dizziness, disturbed coordination, epigastric distress, thickening of bronchial secretions.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to diphenhydramine: compounding powder, injectable solution, oral capsule, oral disintegrating strip, oral liquid, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating.
The most commonly reported side effects included somnolence, dizziness, and incoordination.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Sedation/somnolence/sleepiness, drowsiness, unsteadiness, dizziness, headache, attention disturbance
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Extrapyramidal effects, tremor, convulsions
Drowsiness usually diminishes after a few days.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Confusion, depression, sleep disturbances
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Blood disorders
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Hypersensitivity reactions
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Liver dysfunction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Blurred vision, dry eyes, diplopia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Muscle twitching/weakness[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- What is the max dose of diphenhydramine for adults?
- How much Benadryl can I take? What is too much?
- Does Mucinex help with Covid?
- Does diphenhydramine raise blood pressure?
- How long does Benadryl take to work?
- Can diphenhydramine be used as a sleep aid?
- Does Benadryl make you sleepy?
- Does Benadryl help with or cause anxiety?
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride vs Citrate: What's the difference?
More about Diphen (diphenhydramine)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (1)
- Latest FDA alerts (2)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: anticholinergic antiemetics
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Parke-Davis. 2002.
2. Product Information. Benadryl Children's Allergy Fastmelt (diphenhydrAMINE). Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group. 2022.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. UK Summary of Product Characteristics.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. Australian Product Information.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.