Dicloxacillin Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 21, 2023.
Applies to dicloxacillin: oral capsules.
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dicloxacillin: oral capsule, oral powder for reconstitution.
Hepatic side effects have included transient changes in SGOT, hepatotoxicity, and cholestatic hepatitis. Serum transaminase levels may take several weeks to return to normal following discontinuation of therapy.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions have included rash, fever, eosinophilia, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anaphylactic reactions (bronchospasm, hypotension, vascular collapse, death), laryngeal edema, laryngospasm, serum-sickness-like symptoms, fever, chills and myalgias.[Ref]
Renal side effects have rarely included renal failure. Increases in serum creatinine and acute renal failure have been reported with higher doses (3 to 4 grams daily) using an intravenous formulation, in postoperative patients with advanced age. Other penicillins have been associated with renal tubular damage and interstitial nephritis (rash, fever, eosinophilia, hematuria, proteinuria, renal insufficiency).[Ref]
More about dicloxacillin
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (7)
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: penicillinase resistant penicillins
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Dynapen (dicloxacillin). Apothecon Inc. 2002.
2. Kleinman MS, Presberg JE. Cholestatic hepatitis after dicloxacillin-sodium therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1986;8:77-8.
3. Olsson R, Wiholm BE, Sand C, Zettergren L, Hultcrantz R, Myrhed M. Liver damage drom flucloxacillin, cloxacillin and dicloxacillin. J Hepatol. 1992;15:154-61.
4. Siegmund JB, Tarshis AM. Prolonged jaundice after dicloxacillin therapy. Am J Gastroenterol. 1993;88:1299-300.
5. Saab S, Venkataramani A, Yao F. Possible granulomatous hepatitis after dicloxacillin therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1996;22:163-4.
6. Shelley WB, Shelley ED. Shoreline nails: sign of drug-induced erythroderma. Cutis. 1985;Mar:220-2.
7. Nordbring F. Is dicloxacillin nephrotoxic. Acta Orthop Scand. 1984;55:405-6.
8. Isacson J, Collert S. Renal impairment after high doses of dicloxacillin-prophylaxis in joint replacement surgery. Acta Orthop Scand. 1984;55:407-10.
9. Wahlstrom O, Maller R, Larsson R, Kagedal B. Effects of hip arthroplasty and peroperative dicloxacillin prophylaxis on renal function. Scand J Infect Dis. 1992;24:85-8.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.