Codituss DM Side Effects
Generic Name: dextromethorphan / phenylephrine / pyrilamine
Note: This document contains side effect information about dextromethorphan / phenylephrine / pyrilamine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Codituss DM.
For the Consumer
Applies to dextromethorphan / phenylephrine / pyrilamine: oral syrup
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dextromethorphan/phenylephrine/pyrilamine: oral liquid, oral suspension, oral suspension extended release, oral syrup, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet chewable extended release
Neuromuscular side effects including tremor and weakness have been reported.[Ref]
Ocular side effects including visual disturbances have been reported.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects including shortness of breath and wheezing have been reported.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Codal-DM Syrup (dextromethorphan / phenylephrine / pyrilamine)." Cypress Pharmaceutical Inc, Madison, MS.
2. "Product Information. Viravan-DM (dextromethorphan / phenylephrine / pyrilamine)." PediaMed Pharmaceuticals Inc, Exton, PA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Codituss DM (dextromethorphan / phenylephrine / pyrilamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations