Generic name: lansoprazole
Dosage form: capsule, coated, extended release
Drug class: Proton pump inhibitors
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 22, 2021.
- treats frequent heartburn (occurs 2 or more days a week)
- not intended for immediate relief of heartburn; this drug may take 1 to 4 days for full effect
Allergy alert: Do not use if you are allergic to lansoprazole
Do Not Use
- if you have trouble or pain swallowing food, vomiting with blood, or bloody or black stools. These may be signs of a serious condition. See your doctor.
- warfarin (blood-thinning medicine)
- prescription antifungal or anti-yeast medicines
- digoxin (heart medicine)
- theophylline (asthma medicine)
- tacrolimus (immune system medicine)
- atazanavir (medicine for HIV infection)
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- your heartburn continues or worsens
- you need to take this product for more than 14 days
- you need to take more than 1 course of treatment every 4 months
If pregnant or breast feeding
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children
In case of overdose
In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
- adults 18 years of age and older
- this product is to be used once a day (every 24 hours), every day for 14 days
- it may take 1 to 4 days for full effect, although some people get complete relief of symptoms within 24 hours
14-Day Course of Treatment
- swallow 1 capsule with a glass of water before eating in the morning
- take every day for 14 days
- do not take more than 1 capsule a day
- swallow whole. Do not crush or chew capsules.
- do not use for more than 14 days unless directed by your doctor
Repeated 14-Day Courses (if needed)
- you may repeat a 14-day course every 4 months
- do not take for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor
- children under 18 years of age: ask a doctor before use. Heartburn in children may sometimes be caused by a serious condition.
- read the directions, warnings and package insert before use
- keep the carton and package insert. They contain important information.
- store at 20-250 C (68-77 0 F)
- keep product out of high heat and humidity
- protect product from moisture
colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C red No. 28, FD&C blue No. 1, FD&C green No. 3, FD&C red No. 40, gelatin, hydroxypropyl cellulose, low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose, magnesium carbonate, methacrylic acid copolymer, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, starch, sucrose, sugar sphere, talc, titanium dioxide
Questions or Comments?
Questions or comments? 1-800-452-0051
Distributed by: Novartis Consumer Health, Inc.,
Parsippany, NJ 07054-0622 ©2009 U.S. Patent No. 4,628,098
PREVACID® is a registered trademark of Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc.
Principal Display Panel
|PREVACID 24 HR
lansoprazole capsule, coated, extended release
|Labeler - Novartis Consumer Health, Inc. (879821635)|
More about lansoprazole
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 119 Reviews
- Drug class: proton pump inhibitors
- Prescribing Information
- Lansoprazole (Professional Patient Advice)
- Lansoprazole (FDA)
- Lansoprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets (FDA)
- Other brands