Does Mavyret cure hep C (HCV)? What is the success rate?
Does Mavyret cure hepatitis C (HCV)? What is the success rate?
Yes, Mavyret is a treatment that can clinically cure hepatitis C viral infection (HCV).
The success rate for curing hepatitis C with Mavyret ranges from 95 to 99%.
How successful Mavyret (glecaprevir and pibrentasvir) is at treating hepatitis C depends on the:
- form (or genotype) of hepatitis C
- if you have cirrhosis of the liver, and at what stage your cirrhosis is
- if you have already have or have not had treatment for hepatitis C
- If you have HIV as well as hepatitis C
Hepatitis C has 6 different forms (or genotypes) and each different form has a different success rate when treated with Mavyret.
Liver cirrhosis seems to make it harder to clear the hepatitis infection so if you have cirrhosis you may need to have a longer treatment of 12 weeks.
Clinical Trials of Mavyret
In the Mavyret clinical trials hepatitis C is considered to be clinically cured when the blood test measuring hepatitis C viral RNA comes back as less than 15 IU/mL. This blood test is done 12 weeks after finishing treatment. It is regarded that hepatitis C has relapsed when the blood test level of hepatitis C RNA is over 15IU/mL.
The results below are from clinical trials that included patients who had never had hepatitis C treatment and patients who had already tried hepatitis C treatments.
Success rate of Mavyret for hepatitis C: Table.
|Patients without cirrhosis||Patients with cirrhosis||Patients with cirrhosis|
|Genotype||Mavyret 8 week treatment||Mavyret 8 week treatment||Mavyret 12 week treatment|
|GT1||99% (348/351)||98% (226/231)||99% (89/90)|
|GT2||98% (193/197)||98% (26/26)||100% (31/31)|
|GT4||93% (43/46)||100% (13/13)||100% (16/16)|
|GT5||95% (21/22)||100% (1/1)||100% (5/5)|
|GT6||100% (65/65)||100% (9/9)||92% (12/13)|
Genotype 3 is harder to clear than the other genotypes of hepatitis C. The clinical trials for genotype 3 used only patients who had previously not had any hepatitis C treatments, which you would expect to have a better response compared to other clinical trials that included both patients who had and had not had previous treatment. The patients in the genotype 3 trial also had no cirrhosis. The results for treatment for 8 week with Mavyret were 95% (149/157) and for the 12 week treatment was 95% (222/233).
- Mavyret is an 8 to 12 week treatment for hepatitis C infection.
- Mavyret success rate for curing hepatitis C is between 95 to 99%.
- The success of Mavyret to cure hepatitis C is dependent on a number of factors including genotype of hepatitis C, whether or not you have cirrhosis, previous hepatitis C treatments and other medical conditions you may have.
- Mavyret Medication information: https://www.drugs.com/pro/mavyret.html#s-34092-7
Related medical questions
- What is the difference between hepatitis B and C?
- How much does Mavyret cost?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Mavyret?
- How long is Mavyret treatment?
- Is Mavyret better than Harvoni?
- Can you take ibuprofen with Mavyret?
- How long does Mavyret stay in your system?
- Does Mavyret make your hair fall out?
- Why take Mavyret with food?
- Does Mavyret make you feel sick?
- Can you take Mavyret while pregnant?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of hepatitis C?
- Can you take antibiotics with Mavyret?
- Does Mavyret cause itching?
- What types of Hepatitis C does Mavyret treat?