How long is Mavyret treatment?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Mar 31, 2020.
Mavyret (glecaprevir and pibrentasvir) is a prescription medicine used to treat adults and children 12 years of age and older or weighing at least 99 pounds (45 kilograms) with long-lasting hepatitis C virus (HCV).
How long you are treated with Mavyret depends on your liver function, previous treatments, and other medical conditions you may have. Your doctor will decide the most appropriate length of time for your treatment regimen. These regimens are appropriate for patients with either HCV infection alone or patients with both HCV and HIV infection.
- For patients who have never received HCV treatment, the recommended length of treatment for HCV genotypes 1-6 is 8 weeks (in patients with either no cirrhosis or compensated cirrhosis, meaning you have no symptoms of liver disease).
- For patients who have previously received HCV treatment, the duration of treatment can range from 8 to 16 weeks depending upon your HCV genotype, previous treatment regimen, your liver function and/or the presence of cirrhosis.
Liver or kidney transplant recipients
- Mavyret is recommended for 12 weeks in adult and pediatric patients 12 years and older or weighing at least 45 kg who are liver or kidney transplant recipients.
- A 16-week treatment duration is recommended in HCV genotype 1 patients who are NS5A inhibitor-experienced without prior treatment with an NS3/4A protease inhibitor; or in genotype 3-infected patients who are PRS treatment-experienced.
The recommended oral dosage of Mavyret is 3 tablets taken at the same time once daily with food. Cure rates for HCV range from 92% to 100%.
Mavyret should not be used if you have a moderate to severe level of liver impairment (Child-Pugh B or C) or any history of prior hepatic decompensation (acute decline in liver function in patients with cirrhosis). If you have a history of liver disease, be sure to tell your health care provider.
Related Medical Questions
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Mavyret?
- How much does Mavyret cost?
- Does Mavyret cure hep C (HCV)? What is the success rate?
- Does Mavyret cause itching?
- Can you take antibiotics with Mavyret?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of hepatitis C?
- What types of Hepatitis C does Mavyret treat?
- Mavyret Information for Consumers
- Mavyret Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Mavyret (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Mavyret (13 questions, 35 members)