Can you drink alcohol while taking Mavyret?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Mar 31, 2020.
A specific alcohol (ethanol) drug interaction does not exist in the product labeling for Mavyret. Studies of antivirals for HCV treatment usually required that patients have no or limited alcohol use, so the clinical outcomes of combining alcohol with these regimens are not well-defined. The exact amount of alcohol that might aggravate liver disease in HCV patients is not known.
Because there is a link between a more rapid progression of liver disease and the use of alcohol, clinicians typically suggest that all patients with HCV avoid alcohol use. Alcohol use in patients with HCV may result in a quicker progression to cirrhosis and liver cancer.
- Marshall C. Up to Date. Hepatitis C and alcohol. Accessed March 31, 2020 at https://www.uptodate.com/contents/hepatitis-c-and-alcohol
Related Medical Questions
- How much does Mavyret cost?
- How long is Mavyret treatment?
- Does Mavyret cure hep C (HCV)? What is the success rate?
- Does Mavyret cause itching?
- Can you take antibiotics with Mavyret?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of hepatitis C?
- What types of Hepatitis C does Mavyret treat?
- Mavyret Information for Consumers
- Mavyret Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Mavyret (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Mavyret (13 questions, 35 members)