How long does Mavyret stay in your system?
Mavyret is a medication used to treat chronic hepatitis C virus genotypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 infection in patients without cirrhosis or with compensated cirrhosis.
Mavyret contains two drugs - glecaprevir and pibrentasvir. It takes about 6 hours for your body to get rid of half of a dose of glecaprevir and 13 hours to get rid of half of a dose of pibrentasvir. The time it takes to eliminate half of a dose of a drug from your body is known as its half-life.
It is generally accepted that it takes 5.5 half-lives for a drug to be removed enough from the body that it is thought to have no clinical effect. After taking Mavyret, it’s therefore expected to take 33 hours to eliminate glecaprevir and 71.5 hours to eliminate pibrentasvir.
Mavyret can stay in your system longer if you have severe hepatic (liver) impairment. Mavyret is not used to treat patients with moderate or severe hepatic impairments or those with a history of prior hepatic decompensation (decompensated cirrhosis).
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Mavyret Product Label. June 2021. [Accessed August 17, 2021]. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/215110s000,209394s013lbl.pdf.
- Hallare J, Gerriets V. Half Life. [Updated 2020 Oct 6]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554498/.
Related medical questions
- What is the difference between hepatitis B and C?
- How much does Mavyret cost?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Mavyret?
- Is Mavyret better than Harvoni?
- How long is Mavyret treatment?
- Can you take ibuprofen with Mavyret?
- Does Mavyret make your hair fall out?
- Why take Mavyret with food?
- Does Mavyret make you feel sick?
- Can you take Mavyret while pregnant?
- Does Mavyret cure hep C (HCV)? What is the success rate?
- Mavyret Information for Consumers
- Mavyret Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Mavyret (detailed)
Related support groups
- Mavyret (26 questions, 47 members)