Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 12, 2021.
Generic name: CEPHALEXIN 250mg
Dosage form: capsule
Adults and Pediatric Patients at Least 15 Years of Age
The usual dose of oral KEFLEX is 250 mg every 6 hours, but a dose of 500 mg every 12 hours may be administered. Treatment is administered for 7 to 14 days.
For more severe infections larger doses of oral KEFLEX may be needed, up to 4 grams daily in two to four equally divided doses.
Pediatric Patients (over 1 year of age)
The recommended total daily dose of oral KEFLEX for pediatric patients is 25 to 50 mg/kg given in equally divided doses for 7 to 14 days. In the treatment of β-hemolytic streptococcal infections, duration of at least 10 days is recommended. In severe infections, a total daily dose of 50 to 100 mg/kg may be administered in equally divided doses.
For the treatment of otitis media, the recommended daily dose is 75 to 100 mg/kg given in equally divided doses.
Dosage Adjustments in Adult and Pediatric Patients at Least 15 Years of Age with Renal Impairment
*There is insufficient information to make dose adjustment recommendations in patients on hemodialysis.
|Renal function||Dose regimen recommendation|
|Creatinine clearance ≥ 60 mL/min||No dose adjustment|
|Creatinine clearance 30 to 59 mL/min||No dose adjustment; maximum daily dose should not exceed 1 g|
|Creatinine clearance 15 to 29 mL/min||250 mg, every 8 hours or every 12 hours|
|Creatinine clearance 5 to 14 mL/min not yet on dialysis*||250 mg, every 24 hours|
|Creatinine clearance 1 to 4 mL/min not yet on dialysis*||250 mg, every 48 hours or every 60 hours|
Frequently asked questions
- What are the best antibiotics for a tooth infection?
- Cephalexin - can this be used to treat an abscess in the mouth or gum infection?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- Can you take cephalexin for a spider bite?
- Can you take antibiotics while pregnant?
- Cephalexin - is this a drug that can be abused by teens?
More about Keflex (cephalexin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- En Español
- 79 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: first generation cephalosporins
- Patient Information
- Keflex (Advanced Reading)
- Keflex (Cephalexin Capsules and Tablets)
- Keflex (Cephalexin Suspension)
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.