Generic name: CEPHALEXIN 250mg
Dosage form: capsule
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 10, 2019.
Adults and Pediatric Patients at Least 15 Years of Age
The usual dose of oral KEFLEX is 250 mg every 6 hours, but a dose of 500 mg every 12 hours may be administered. Treatment is administered for 7 to 14 days.
For more severe infections larger doses of oral KEFLEX may be needed, up to 4 grams daily in two to four equally divided doses.
Pediatric Patients (over 1 year of age)
The recommended total daily dose of oral KEFLEX for pediatric patients is 25 to 50 mg/kg given in equally divided doses for 7 to 14 days. In the treatment of β-hemolytic streptococcal infections, duration of at least 10 days is recommended. In severe infections, a total daily dose of 50 to 100 mg/kg may be administered in equally divided doses.
For the treatment of otitis media, the recommended daily dose is 75 to 100 mg/kg given in equally divided doses.
Dosage Adjustments in Adult and Pediatric Patients at Least 15 Years of Age with Renal Impairment
*There is insufficient information to make dose adjustment recommendations in patients on hemodialysis.
|Renal function||Dose regimen recommendation|
|Creatinine clearance ≥ 60 mL/min||No dose adjustment|
|Creatinine clearance 30 to 59 mL/min||No dose adjustment; maximum daily dose should not exceed 1 g|
|Creatinine clearance 15 to 29 mL/min||250 mg, every 8 hours or every 12 hours|
|Creatinine clearance 5 to 14 mL/min not yet on dialysis*||250 mg, every 24 hours|
|Creatinine clearance 1 to 4 mL/min not yet on dialysis*||250 mg, every 48 hours or every 60 hours|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- Can you take cephalexin for a spider bite?
- Cephalexin - is this a drug that can be abused by teens?
- Cephalexin - can this be used to treat an abscess in the mouth or gum infection?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- Can you take antibiotics while pregnant?
More about Keflex (cephalexin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 62 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: first generation cephalosporins
- Keflex (Cephalexin Capsules and Tablets)
- Keflex (Cephalexin Suspension)
- Keflex (Advanced Reading)