User Reviews for Zonegran

Learn more about Zonegran.

Zonegran Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Zonegran to treat Migraine Prevention

"The medication worked well to prevent migraines. However after one month of use I developed joint pain/swelling and a rash. It was determined I had drug induced lupus and the medication was discontinued."

Meemfelds (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In the past, I had been given all types of medicines for migraine prevention and by far Zonegran has been THE BEST. I've had very few side effects that I can notice. The number of headaches that I normally have are decreased tremendously! I can really tell when I miss doses of the medication because the headaches come back full force but once I get the medicine in my system again, everything is all good! If you haven't tried Zonegran, PLEASE DO!"

HeadacheFree28 February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well it all started with dizzy spells that got so bad I couldn't even stand up. I was in the hospital for almost 24hr. They had no idea what was wrong. They suggested I see a neurologest ASAP. After making the appointment to see who they suggested, I wouldn't be able to see them for 4months. So I reached out to my family. They said to see a headache specialist. That sounded crazy to me at first. After meeting this new Doctor the same day I called him. He put me on Topamax I believe it was called, which I had almost every side effect from. So he decided to put me on zonegran small doses and work my way up. This medicine is amazing. I have no side effects at all and no more migraines for about a year now."

Tara h. December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For Migraine Prevention Ive tried amitriptyline, Imitrex, propranolol ,Fioricet & Topamax and for a while and they worked but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 300 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in quite some time, so do I walk around with a child like mind or not be able to get out of bed because of the pounding migraines?!?"

Brittani31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 100 mg of Zonegran daily for about a month, and have noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my migraines."

Migrainemiss August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 300mg of zonegran for nearly 2 years. It worked really well to prevent my migraines at the start--it was like a dream come true. I did experience appetite reduction and weight loss, but I put it back on after about a year. The negative side effects were extreme for me over time. First, my depression got much worse. That could have been external factors, but the time that I started taking Zonegran and the severe increase in my symptoms match. Also, after some time, I noticed my cognitive function was severely inhibited. I was in graduate school at the time and began failing classes, slurring my words when 100% sober, and unable to remember things. When I went off, my migraines returned severely, especially period and allergy migraines"

BLove01 March 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all ."

James_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax."

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years."

What memory January 12, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't notice any side effects compared to some of the other anti-seizure medicines."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Zonegran for a few years now at 300mg per day. It had really gotten my headaches under control to where I would only have a headache periodically. Weight loss has been a side effect that I haven't minded. The problem is I've had significant memory and focus issues. I hardly felt competent most of the time. I have slowly weened myself down to 100mgs per day (I notified my neurologist of this because its an anti-seizure medicine so you shouldn't stop it cold turkey or it could cause a seizure). My memory has improved significantly, but the headaches have returned with a vengeance. I'm back to taking narcotics to address each debilitating headache. I used to take Topamax. It too worked beautifully, but also wiped out the memory."

Still Looking January 4, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On 50 mg and have seen a huge improvement in my migraines. Down to 5 per month."

Anonymous November 28, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used Zonegran for headaches only. It is the only thing that seems to have lessened them somewhat, but I still have headaches and they affect me cognitively. I'm mentally slower, have word-finding problems, my memory is bad, and my attention is terrible. I've tried to go off it on occasion, but my headaches get absolutely awful, so I stay on it."

Zonegran User March 30, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got put on this medication for migraines. I took Topamax in the past but side effects were way too much for me."

Anonymous March 19, 2011