User Reviews for Sonata

Learn more about Sonata.

Insomnia 40 reviews 107 medications

Summary of Sonata reviews 40 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Sonata

For Insomnia "I was taking this medication on and off for over a year. Although it did help me go back to sleep, I found myself going to the doctor more and more for constipation, stomach pain, muscle pains, anxiety and the worst one tingling all over my body. I went through all sorts of miserable medical tests, and everything came back normal. It finally occurred to me that maybe this medication was causing all of my misery, so I looked up the side-effects and sure enough they are all listed. I am in the process of weaning myself off of this medication and feel like absolute crap. I wish I had never started this medication! My recommendation is: get a sleep study, try "natural"(less addicting) sleep aides, or trazadone and therapy for stress."

Surf and Sand March 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Dr put me on 10mg. I have had major sleep problems for years and suffer migraines with aura. For days I don't sleep at all. 10mg did nothing for me. Bumped it to 20mg and while I don't feel sleepy I do eventually fall asleep if I lay there. Usually 3 or 4 am. Since I never sleep this was a good sign. Also I woke about 730am feeling great. Wide awake, not drowsy or tired. No headache which is also not my norm as I always wake up with a headache if I sleep. This has gone on for 14 days now. While its not perfect, I feel so good all day it's the best thing to happen to me in 7 years. I hope it continues."

SoTired40 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Started with 10mg, did not work, went to 20mg still wake up after 4 hours. Hate not sleeping. Hopefully going back to Ambien, even though I wake up and snack. At least I sleep."

SyBiL1954 November 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Started on 10mg for 1 week with little results. Woke up twice every night, seems like it took forever to get back to sleep. Doctor increased dose to 2 10mg per night-it's been a month now and I'm still waking up at least twice each night. I have tried taking both capsules around 9-9:30PM, or 1 at 9:30PM & the other around 11PM, same sleep interruptions. I decided to just get up at 4AM-when I'm awake the second time and stare at the TV or fix my husband's lunch. I'm still not feeling as if I'm getting a good night's sleep-find myself tired and grouchy during the day and early evening. Feeling very frustrated."

LadyIndyJones (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Sonata didn't phase me. I couldn't even tell I took it. Ambien was great, I'm switching back."

Robalmer October 29, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Wide awake all night . Fail"

TheGerm (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "I have had an erratic sleep schedule since the end of January of this year. I had been taking trazodone and it just wasn't working anymore. I talked to my Dr. She suggested Sonata. I was desperate for a good nights sleep. I took 1 last night. I believe it is a good idea to relax before you take it. I slept for 3 to 4 hours. But still felt the calming effect of it and went right back to bed. Not a full nights, but hey, it was better. I think if we sit and wait for a pill to kick it, it makes us tense. I'm going to continue on. I believe in a weeks time, I will have a pattern back. Don't give up so easily after 1 night. Give it a chance. "

Enter Sandman (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "This medicine doesn't last. I'm on my second night of it and it's 4 am and I'm wide awake. My legs are very restless. I have stomach cramps. I've tired Tranzodone in fact I was up to 200 mgs and still didn't feel it. Ambien made me hallucinate. I just want to sleep at night so I can have normal days with my kids."

TiredWidow July 30, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Have found this medication very helpful for insomnia. Fall asleep quickly with no side effects in the morning. Using 5mg dose."

Sleepless in Seattle June 28, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "My doctor prescribed me 10mg sonata for my insomnia. Sonata is great if you only want 3-4 hours of sleep on exam days because of its short duration and no drowsiness. However, if you want to get a full 7-8 hours of sleep it sucks being woken up in the middle of the night every time (~2-4am), unable to fall back asleep. Have to take a second dose to fall back asleep but takes a white to kick in since you're not drowsy when you woke up and you're writing this review awake in bed waiting for sleepiness to come..."

Panda problems June 19, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "It did not help me sleep. Much less affective than Ambien."

Giffordw June 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "I am bi/polar and awaken many times around 2 or 3 am with racing thoughts. This makes it impossible for me to go back to sleep and I am exhausted because of it. My Dr. had me try the Sonata and with taking it at these times I can get another 3 to 4 hours of sleep and awaken feeling very rested. I usually fall back to sleep within 15 minutes after taking it. Love it on those rough nights."

Auntiem90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "These drugs are not needed in anyone's life .. Eat right ..exercise daily ...and get in a routine of doing something productive during ur day.."

Bommkkkksjdnd March 26, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "This is by far the worst pill prescribed for sleep! !! I felt anxious irritable. ..heart was racing headache and my blood pressure increased along with abdominal discomfort and muscle pain. And if I I do fall asleep it's for an hour or so and I'm up for another hour and find it very hard to fall back to sleep . Never again !! this pill is not for me!!!"

Very disappointing (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Similar to Ambien but not as effective. I also experience RLS when taking Zaleplon Mg."

MichiH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Sonata is useless. Even when the dose is bumped up to 20 mgs. Skip this one and just go for the Ambien."

Sleeplessinthecommonwealth December 9, 2015

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "This knocked me out all day and didn't even help me sleep at night."

BatMegan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "My doctor recently informed me that I should only take Sonata when I wake up in the middle of the night. Just need to have a glass of water near my bed. I tried that last night and it did give me a few extra hours of sleep. When I was taking it before bed I generally would get up in the middle of the night anyway and feel groggy the next day. "

epublius (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2014

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Taking Sonata was like taking a placebo. No matter when I took it - 5 minutes before bedtime, 1 hour, 2 hours, I would lie awake for hours! I even tried doubling up with no change. Once I did fall asleep I would wake up 2 hours later, then 2 hours after that - never getting a restful nights sleep."

1Anonymous July 23, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "I love Sonata, for the first time I can sleep. However, I think it works best if you wind yourself down and relax a bit first. Otherwise, I would find myself feeling the effects of the medication and still active and now impaired. So I learned early in once I stop what I am doing and just relax, watch T.V, read a book etc. Right to sleep and I stayed there. Not groggy at all the next day."

GlamGalTN (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2014

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Trouble falling asleep and staying asleep"

GypsyJoey April 16, 2014

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "After years of not being able to fall asleep or stay asleep and after trying Lunesta and Ambien I was tired. Sonata works great for me and I don't wake up groggy or hung over. I feel great for the first time in my life. I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome and it is essential to get sleep. I feel refreshed and ready to go in the mornings.....love it. Thankful my doctor said to give it a try. Hope this helps."

freckleseckles (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "I don't have trouble falling asleep, but if I happen to wake up between the hours of 2:00 am and 4:00 am, for some reason I have a hard time falling back asleep. I give myself about 10 minutes, and if I am still awake I take one capsule. Seems like it works within 15 minutes and there is ZERO morning grogginess. It is a short acting medication so it really isn't designed to be taken right when you go to bed. Sometimes I will take a Sonata and then check my email while waiting for it to work----big mistake, as I write some very loopy, misspelled things which I have only the vaguest memory of doing. "

Moorestown Lady July 8, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "I love it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2013

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "It didn't help me fall asleep at all. I tried it one night and I didn't sleep the whole night, so I tried it again during the day since I hadn't slept at night no bueano. Made me cough and hack really bad and sinus, had chest pain the next day. I tried again one more night still no sleep."

elaborategoddess (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2012