User Reviews for Sonata

Learn more about Sonata.

Sonata Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Sonata to treat Insomnia

"I have had an erratic sleep schedule since the end of January of this year. I had been taking trazodone and it just wasn't working anymore. I talked to my Dr. She suggested Sonata. I was desperate for a good nights sleep. I took 1 last night. I believe it is a good idea to relax before you take it. I slept for 3 to 4 hours. But still felt the calming effect of it and went right back to bed. Not a full nights, but hey, it was better. I think if we sit and wait for a pill to kick it, it makes us tense. I'm going to continue on. I believe in a weeks time, I will have a pattern back. Don't give up so easily after 1 night. Give it a chance. "

Enter Sandman (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

"This medicine doesn't last. I'm on my second night of it and it's 4 am and I'm wide awake. My legs are very restless. I have stomach cramps. I've tired Tranzodone in fact I was up to 200 mgs and still didn't feel it. Ambien made me hallucinate. I just want to sleep at night so I can have normal days with my kids."

TiredWidow July 30, 2016

"Have found this medication very helpful for insomnia. Fall asleep quickly with no side effects in the morning. Using 5mg dose."

Sleepless in Seattle June 28, 2016

"My doctor prescribed me 10mg sonata for my insomnia. Sonata is great if you only want 3-4 hours of sleep on exam days because of its short duration and no drowsiness. However, if you want to get a full 7-8 hours of sleep it sucks being woken up in the middle of the night every time (~2-4am), unable to fall back asleep. Have to take a second dose to fall back asleep but takes a white to kick in since you're not drowsy when you woke up and you're writing this review awake in bed waiting for sleepiness to come..."

Panda problems June 19, 2016

"It did not help me sleep. Much less affective than Ambien."

Giffordw June 9, 2016

"I am bi/polar and awaken many times around 2 or 3 am with racing thoughts. This makes it impossible for me to go back to sleep and I am exhausted because of it. My Dr. had me try the Sonata and with taking it at these times I can get another 3 to 4 hours of sleep and awaken feeling very rested. I usually fall back to sleep within 15 minutes after taking it. Love it on those rough nights."

Auntiem90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

"These drugs are not needed in anyone's life .. Eat right ..exercise daily ...and get in a routine of doing something productive during ur day.."

Bommkkkksjdnd March 26, 2016

"This is by far the worst pill prescribed for sleep! !! I felt anxious irritable. ..heart was racing headache and my blood pressure increased along with abdominal discomfort and muscle pain. And if I I do fall asleep it's for an hour or so and I'm up for another hour and find it very hard to fall back to sleep . Never again !! this pill is not for me!!!"

Very disappointing (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

"Similar to Ambien but not as effective. I also experience RLS when taking Zaleplon Mg."

MichiH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2016

"Sonata is useless. Even when the dose is bumped up to 20 mgs. Skip this one and just go for the Ambien."

Sleeplessinthecommonwealth December 9, 2015

"This knocked me out all day and didn't even help me sleep at night."

BatMegan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

"My doctor recently informed me that I should only take Sonata when I wake up in the middle of the night. Just need to have a glass of water near my bed. I tried that last night and it did give me a few extra hours of sleep. When I was taking it before bed I generally would get up in the middle of the night anyway and feel groggy the next day. "

epublius (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2014

"Taking Sonata was like taking a placebo. No matter when I took it - 5 minutes before bedtime, 1 hour, 2 hours, I would lie awake for hours! I even tried doubling up with no change. Once I did fall asleep I would wake up 2 hours later, then 2 hours after that - never getting a restful nights sleep."

1Anonymous July 23, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I love Sonata, for the first time I can sleep. However, I think it works best if you wind yourself down and relax a bit first. Otherwise, I would find myself feeling the effects of the medication and still active and now impaired. So I learned early in once I stop what I am doing and just relax, watch T.V, read a book etc. Right to sleep and I stayed there. Not groggy at all the next day."

GlamGalTN (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2014

"Trouble falling asleep and staying asleep"

GypsyJoey April 16, 2014

"After years of not being able to fall asleep or stay asleep and after trying Lunesta and Ambien I was tired. Sonata works great for me and I don't wake up groggy or hung over. I feel great for the first time in my life. I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome and it is essential to get sleep. I feel refreshed and ready to go in the mornings.....love it. Thankful my doctor said to give it a try. Hope this helps."

freckleseckles (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I don't have trouble falling asleep, but if I happen to wake up between the hours of 2:00 am and 4:00 am, for some reason I have a hard time falling back asleep. I give myself about 10 minutes, and if I am still awake I take one capsule. Seems like it works within 15 minutes and there is ZERO morning grogginess. It is a short acting medication so it really isn't designed to be taken right when you go to bed. Sometimes I will take a Sonata and then check my email while waiting for it to work----big mistake, as I write some very loopy, misspelled things which I have only the vaguest memory of doing. "

Moorestown Lady July 8, 2013

"I love it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2013

"It didn't help me fall asleep at all. I tried it one night and I didn't sleep the whole night, so I tried it again during the day since I hadn't slept at night no bueano. Made me cough and hack really bad and sinus, had chest pain the next day. I tried again one more night still no sleep."

elaborategoddess (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2012

"I had an interesting experience on Sonata. I took it, but found myself unable to fall asleep. Instead, I spent several, say 7 hours, sitting in front of my vanity having a conversation with my numerous reflections in my one mirror. While there in reality was probably only one reflection, I saw three. Sometimes more. They all were very active, doing different things at the same time! I decided that one of them should cut their hair, and after some persuasion, they did. Well, to my great dismay, when I awoke, I looked in the mirror, and yes, my reflection had indeed cut her hair, but so had I! I had to go to school that day, my friends were rather astonished. Well...I had a hell of a time explaining it to my mom. When I shared the account of these events with my cousin, however, I was rather stunned by the fact that she had had the same experience!!!! She too, had cut her hair and spent hours conversing and sharing anecdotes with her multiple reflection-visitors. Although her conversation was interrupted by a vision of a dog-man, our stories were otherwise quite similar. After researching this medication thoroughly online, we thought that it could not just be coincidence that we both had such similar nights on Sonata, and we think these things should be listed as side affects, including, but not limited to hair cutting and mirror parties."

katier138 (taken for 10 years or more) September 4, 2012

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After trying a number of different things without much success, the zaleplon/Sonata is helping me go to sleep and staying asleep for up to 7 hours. When I wake, I'm refreshed and have no hangover whatsoever."

ludlow49 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2012

"I did not like it. I tried it for 2 weeks and always woke up at 2.30 am or 3.00am then I couldn't go back to sleep."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2012

"This medicine did not make me sleepy at all. It made sexual urges come to the forefront so much that it affected my normal behavior. "

Anonymous March 28, 2012

"Like Ambien, it's good for a solid four hours but then I wake up totally unable to go back to sleep without taking another dose. It's good if you only need help getting to sleep."

hscolnik November 26, 2011

"Finally, I no longer have to chose between falling asleep at night or being productive during the day. With Sonata, I can do both. The only drawback is that on rare occasions, the medication takes awhile to work."

Anonymous April 2, 2010