User Reviews for Vortioxetine

Also known as: Trintellix

Learn more about Vortioxetine.

Vortioxetine Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Vortioxetine to treat Depression

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Taking it since one month because of a reactive depression for over a year. I have never taken anti-depressants before and kept refusing although my psychologist urged me to for several months. When the depression kept getting darker: no energy, sad, bad insomnia and constant thoughts of suicide (which my psychologist didn't know) I decided to take the advise to start on brintellix (was either that or kill myself). The first 4 days I was so tired I spent most of the time in bed . Then I just started to feel better and better. High energy level, creative, not sad, no mood swings, slept great at night and best of all the suicidal thoughts just disappeared . I started and stayed on 5 mg. No side effects at all, working night shift no problem!"

Hek8870 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Been on trintellix for bout three months. Last month sobbing has stopped but I'm having vision disturbances. I started at 5 mg then went to ten. From ten to twenty and my head hurt so bad backed down to ten again. The vision issue is still there along with profuse sweating and breakthrough anxiety. Been through so many different antidepressants I'm afraid of what will happen if I hafta go through another drug change. It's been a nightmare."

#56 January 11, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Update: I have been on this for a little over a month, 10mg for the past 3 weeks, 5mg 2 weeks before that. I am still getting extremely nauseous when I take it, burping and stomach upset/pain as well. Taking it at night did help with these symptoms but then I noticed I couldn't sleep so I try to take it before lunch. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my symptoms. I still feel down and have a hard time getting excited about anything. I really just want to stay in bed. I've recently started noticing I'm hungry all the time."

unicornsoul January 9, 2017

"Been on this for about six months or so 10mg works great but I'm constantly plagued with nasuea everyday. Some days I dread taking it but understand its my mental well being. Some days I'll take a day off and unlike other meds like effexor there are no withdrawal symptoms which is great if you happen to go away for a weekend and forget your meds. All in all I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't have stomach issues cause the nausea can be crippling. Works faster then other meds as well"

jesse179 January 8, 2017

"Ok so I cant really rate it yet based on how well its working because its really only my 4th day, (technically 2nd, because I cut in half 5mg the past 2 days and have been taking 2.5 till I was confident enough to take the full 5) I was extremely scared of side effects especially the nausea and vomiting that I read so much about because I have a very sensitive stomach and most medicines make me sick, so far I have not had ANY nausea with this medicine - although I'm only on 5mg. I have taken it with a meal every time! I am optimistic that this will help my anxiety, I may increase to 10mg in a few weeks if I feel no difference with the 5. However do not let these reviews scare you! Every person is different!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I had such high hopes for this medication for my severe depression and anxiety. I was committed to try it for a full 4 weeks. I started on 10 mg and then went up to 15 mg. I never managed to get to the 20 mg due to overwhelming nausea, belching, excessive salivating, unbearable constipation and then the vomiting started. I didn't gain weight but that is because I couldn't eat. It did help with the depression but not the anxiety. Definitely not for me!"

PHNurse January 3, 2017

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "It's known within the pharmaceutical industry that 5% of patients will suffer 90% of side effects from any given drug. That's me, and an MTBI bumped me up to the elite 2.5% who get side effects never heard of. But Trintellix was supposed to be good for depression from brain injury, so I gave it a try. No gastric symptoms, but on day 2, I woke up not knowing what day it was. 7 hours after second dose, heightened anxiety and a sense of "speeding", without the edge, took hold. Then, I found myself annoyed that Shaw's was out of everything I usually bought there - until the egg case in the wrong place alerted me I was in Stop & Shop. No memory of deciding to go there. Bu-bye Trintellix. Just glad I only paid $3.10 for it."

Forlorn Hope (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Awful, severe, intolerable constipation! Almost complete blockage on my same high fiber, vegetables, fruit, & low fat protein diet. Took for two weeks and it never got better. Going back to my Lexapro generic."

Mary F. December 31, 2016

"I've had zero nausea, but zero sex drive and I have a hard time concentrating at work. I've been taking 20 mg for about 6 weeks. I take it at bedtime. I have been very sluggish and have gained about 10 pounds. I also have terrible gas so I have to take gas pills daily. It has helped with my depression, but my job is suffering because I cannot concentrate at all. I'm thinking of asking my doctor to change my med because I will get fired soon if I keep this up! I no longer want to kill myself, but soon I will be obese, unemployed and sleepy. Then I will be more depressed..."

SuzyQ72 December 29, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I have been on 10mg for 6 weeks. Very little nausea at first and some headaches but nothing ibuprofen did not take away. I did not notice much at first, then maybe 3-4 weeks I noticed a little relief from frustration and sad feelings. I can't find a job and have gained a good amount of weight over the past year so I am having self esteem issues anyway but over the past week I am a mess. I am sad and cry a lot. I cannot focus and feel cloudy in my thoughts. I am very irritable and short tempered. I will try to see about increasing the dose. It seems like a slow progression but I am hopeful a higher dose may help."

Momandwife December 23, 2016

"I was started on Brintellix (now Trintellix) in the hospital for suicidal ideation. I have struggled with it si since the 80s. When my dose was increased I had these muscle spasms over my chest. I went to the ER they could not find anything cardio. When I reduced the dose it went away. My mood did improve and I have been back to my old self. No problem since Aug, now it's Dec and I had had 3 more spells. ER again found nothing. Dr thinks It's my anxiety. I feel unheard. I don't want to give up being stable. I hate having my illness. I have to be my own advocate.... (I too had rough gastro side effects but slowly they leveled out with over the counter meds.)"

Merthi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2016

"I took this drug for about a year and then had to quit when I lost my job and my new job didn't have very good health coverage. After being off the drug for about a year, my depression was worsening (would start sobbing over the smallest things) and I decided to restart the medication despite the cost. Having been off the medication for a year now, I don't really remember if I initially had any side effects - though it's worth noting that I started at 5mg and worked my way up to 20mg, whereas this time I'm just restarting the 20mg. I'm almost a week into it and I'm experiencing constipation and itchy skin. It's not pleasant but I'm sure it'll go away soon. This med works really fast, I already feel my depression lifting."

EBinChicago December 15, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I've tried three different SSRIs and one SNRI and have the same side effect with them all.....I can't achieve an orgasm. My psychiatrist put me on Trintellix because it's not suppose to cause this problem....and it doesn't. On the other hand, I can't tell much difference in my depression, and I can't sleep, I'm back to having mild panic attacks, and I feel like I've had a breathing treatment with all the "wonderful", not, side effects. This isn't the medicine for me. I've only been taking it a little over three weeks, but my psychiatrist is getting a phone call tomorrow."

Heightened anxiety, insomnia (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

"I have tried many other antidepressants before stating Trintellix. I could tell immediately that it was an improvement. I started on 10 mgs 2 months ago and increased to 20 last month. The depression and suicidal thoughts have diminished and the anxiety is well under control. The only side effects are some severe retching from time to time and had to be put on a med for that. However lately, I am sleeping all the time and my energy is all but gone. I still take it because the anxiety and depression are at kept at bay. I still would recommend this for others."

Des Y. December 8, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I'm only on day 3 but thought I would share since I was looking for first couple of day reviews and couldn't find very many. I read enough to know to take AFTER eating and I have experienced very little to no nausea. (THC may have helped this) I did have some burping on the 3rd night. The main thing I notice are my thoughts after taking and sleep. The first 2 nights, I feel I got a little paranoid and some increased anxiety and noticed it was taking me longer to fall asleep. Took my 3rd dose last night, and I have yet to go to sleep. Been up for 18 hours. I even took this dose a lot earlier than the other 2 because I noticed it was taking me longer to fall asleep. I usually took it between 9 and 10 but last night I took it between 7 and 8."

unicornsoul (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

"I've had a generally positive experience with Trintellix. The only negative side effect that I've noticed is some nausea. It was enough to make me sick on a couple occasions, but I continued to psh through because of how badly the depression was making me feel. I've now been on the medication for over 4 weeks and I'm feeling more positive, less depressed, and even the nausea is easing! This medication seems to have less side effects than other medications that I've tried, such as Prozac and Cipralex (Lexapro). Tip: If you experience the nausea, try eating a little bit of carbs to help settle your stomach."

mike845378 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2016

"Began at 10 mg for 2 months with no improvement. Upped to 20mg for 1 month. No improvement. Episodes of retching x2 with no vomiting; nausea daily; affect seem to be flat; ED worsened to point of complete inability to maintain an erection or achieve ejaculation. Will discuss with Psychiatrist changing to something else. Expensive even with insurance - $60.00 monthly."

BDEye (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Started on it about eight weeks ago with 10 MG. I went in to a new psychiatrist complaining of anxiety issues related to a stressful job, etc. At the same time I was weaned off Prozac which I had taken for the last 15 years. Terrible dizziness is now recurring on a daily basis to the point I cannot even safely drive. A wave of light headedness overcame me while driving in heavy traffic on an urban interstate a couple of days ago. Fortunately I was able to get off and go home on local roads with the windows down. I thought it might have been the Allegra antihistamine which I have taken for a long time without feeling dizzy. Stopped Allegra, continued with Trintellix, still dizzy symptoms."

Dizzy Driver November 27, 2016

"Cant give a full review yet as this is my second day of taking this medication, but I will give updates to those interested or with a similar case as mine. I've tried many different SSRI but it seems my system but for reasons unknown my body wont tolerate them. I am a fairly strong and tough guy physically but the side effects were too much for me to continue. For over a month now Ive been taking mirtazapine, came to taking 30 mg but ended up with really bad arthralgia so I came back down to 15 mg. Been taking that and it seems to helped a little with my depression and anxiety. Managable symptoms at least, but at this point any subtle improvement means a lot. As far as trintellix, so far so good. No nasea or vomiting"

Shangri-laBound November 16, 2016

"I started taking this 3 days ago... first night had very strange and vivid dreams, all with an angry tone... woke up with terrible night sweats. Having headaches everyday. (I usually suffer from migraines but was previous on wellbutrin which stopped them so now that they're back I'm really frustrated and my normal headache meds arent touching these headaches at all) and nausea/vomiting at night. I'm hoping this will all go away :( will give it another week or so and keep you updated..."

Marebear1 November 12, 2016

"I switched from 60mg prozac to 10mg of trintellix i am good i laugh a lot i am funny and i am not so tired all the time i can wake up in the morning around 7am and stay up the whole day till around 9 or 10 before i would sleep all day and night i have been aggitated only a few times so i think its doing well for the 2nd week of changing i also have 2 kids 5 and 8 and i have less agitation with them also life is a little smoother the side effwcts is nausia this is true but not horrible just comes and goes no vomiting and a few headaches but i am on magnesium and also ibiprophen feommigrains before"

Nickie Nickels (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "6 weeks I've taken this and I'm laughing and crying from one minute to the next. Can't sleep. But also my insurance made me quit cold turkey off of Prozac and Seroquel at the same time I started this and I was on the seroquil for 3 years!! I feel like I'm losing my mind."

Desperately need a clue 64 November 7, 2016

"I started taking this medication about 1-2 months ago. I started on 5mg and noticed a huge difference within two weeks. The brain fog is what shocked me the most. After two weeks I was able to concentrate and talk to people without feeling cloudy and exhausted as a result. I increased my dose to 10mg as directed by my psychiatrist and have noticed that my anxiety is not as intense as it used to be. I still feel anxious but overall I feel "stabilized" and like I can get on with my day. I was having panic attacks almost daily before I started this medication. I did not experience any nausea or vomiting like other people. I only feel slight upset stomach if I don't take it with food but it goes away eventually."

Anxiety/depression November 7, 2016

"I started Brintellix 3/16. I didn't have the GI issues that many do. But it affected my sex drive and made me tired. My Dr said to take it at night. When I did, both issues subsided. I felt much better! I had a more positive outlook. I took on a 2nd job, which shocked my Dr - as a lot of my depression is work related. In Sept., my Pharmacy started filling it as Trintellix. My Dr says there isn't any ingredient changes in the medicine - just the name. I'm not convinced. I've been having mild depressive episodes since Sept./Oct., and they've gotten worse. I thought it was dehydration, but I can guzzle down water and it doesn't help. This medicine has been amazing for me up until recently. Maybe I need to up my dose?"

Does the Trick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2016

"I used to take clomipramine for many year for mild depression and anxiety and it was working excellent for me ....this last year i was in swinging mood and off and on ..my doctor suggests to try new medication...first day i took it i felt dizzy and upset stomach with headache but at the same time i felt soooo energetic and focus ...i was happy and willing to tolerate the side effects ...the 4th day everything change ...my body reacted badly to the medicine..had sever itching all over my body , increase heart rate , short breathe with numbness.....i called my doctor and he said it is OK ....we have to give the medication more time .....now after a month on this mediation i feel so tired and irritable and feel like my brain is freeze"

soon16 November 4, 2016