User Reviews for Vortioxetine

Also known as: Trintellix

Learn more about Vortioxetine.

Vortioxetine Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Vortioxetine to treat Depression

"This drug works miraculously well for my social anxiety disorder, considerably alleviating a social anxiety condition caused by traumatic brain injury. Tried several other drugs and supplements before that were useless, but this one started working within days. But the nausea side effects make it almost bad enough to quit. Taking it after eating, feel sick for 20-30 minutes. Taking it on an empty stomach, borderline to vomiting for 20-30 minutes. An inadvertent but beneficial side-effect, it may improve cognition. A meta-analysis of clinical trials which assessed cognitive effects of depression treatments found that this drug improved psychomotor speed by 16% and delayed recall (memory assessment) by 24% (P<0.00001). "

Canuck100 October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve been on Prozac, Zoloft and cymbalta in the past. Zoloft was my last med. My grandma passed away so I bumped up to 100mg felt like a zombie. At 50mg which I know is low, I didn’t feel like it helped at all. Decided to try trintellix so I went off Zoloft in 2 days. Never had any side effects ever of withdrawal. Took 10mg of trintellix I though I was going to throw up everywhere. Can’t take on an empty stomach no one told me. I’m on day 2 of 5mg and the only complaint I have is stomach ache and diarrhea bad. I really hope this goes away I’ve had even enough issues with diarrhea in the past since I had my gallbladder out. Hoping for the best and it is really expensive tho look for the coupon online !"

Bluxx October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medication for severe depression. My Doctor started me on 10mg every night, I was extremely nauseous from it - I cut it down to 5mg every night.. which wasn't much better. I decided me feeling dizzy, nauseous and vomiting almost daily, wasn't worth the hassle. I also oddly gained 10lbs from this medication. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.."

PJlover (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I have been on several antidepressants before and needed to make a change. This medication was the worst experience ever. Major stomach issues and headache, but mostly the emotional side. Couldn't quit crying. I also didn't sleep for the week I tried to take it. Not for me. Do yourself a favor and don't start it."

Gracie 22 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I started traveling trintellix. For the first 4 days I threw up within 3 hours after I've taken it. After that I was still a little nauseous but not so bad as throwing up. I did get a slight headache and it was throughout the day very mild. After the third week the nagging headache and slight nausea was just too much for me to carry on. This medicine helped more than any other I've tried in 20 years but I just didn't like the side effects so I stopped the medicine. With my doctor's approval of course. So if you can hang on through the side effects and if they're not really bad for you this medicine would have been a 10"

Ktayt October 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I've been on Trintellix for 6 months and this pill has been a miracle for me! I was on Wellbutrin for 5 months prior, but it ended up giving me anxiety so I switched. I've had depression for over a decade and nothing really took it away -- I did therapy, changed my diet, exercised.. I still felt grey, lifeless and didn't care much if I died. My depression was never overwhelming sadness, it was quite the opposite: I felt nothing. Nothing gave my pleasure. I was just a robot doing what I had to do. It worked quite quickly, about 3 weeks after I started. I will always have depression, but I'm able to cope now. I no longer feel like life is meaningless.. I now do things just for the sake of it. I finally enjoy normal events like everyone else."

Alexis456 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I took this medication for just two days. My doc told me I did not have to wean off of effexor I could just start taking the trintellix on the day I chose. I became severely depressed. It hit me like a load of bricks. Sobbing, feeling helpless, hopelessness and that my life was just not worth living. I was shocked at how fast these feeling came upon me I have never experienced something like this before and I have been on several antidepressants over the years. I also had severe nausea and diarrhea for over 24 hours. The third day, yesterday I went back to the effexor. Today I finally feel like myself inside and out. This medication was NOT for me!"

Alicat01 October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Expensive, Did not help with depression at all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't know how this pill got approval from the FDA. I know one sure thing- stay away from this pill"

Anonymous October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started 10mg 3 days ago oh my goodness the stomach pain and running to the bathroom! I feel as thou I am in labor with the pain! It starts after an hour taking the meds and lasts about 3 -4 hours! I take at 4am so I am not down all day long . Thankfully, I don't have a job to go to because that wouldn't happen if I continued this medication. I took half this morning at 6:30am overslept and oh wow still severe stomach pain as I write this running to the bathroom! This is the ONLY side effect I am having for now . I am going to suffer thru this for I need some relief and have heard great things about this medication after you get used to it. I also take 150mg Wellbutrin and 15mg buspan 3x a day. I hope all this works eventually"

GiaT September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I sure hope me writing this can help someone avoid the prolonged agony I experienced on Trintellix. I started with a 5 mg dose for one month. After about 5 days, I started having itching on my external vulva. By the 7th day, I almost went to the ER, but by that time, due to all my scratching, I had developed a pseudomonas aeruginos infection. Four courses of antibiotics later, the unbearable, constant, relentless, and ever-present itching was still there, with some hives. Though the infection was gone, the itching continued. I have never had intense itching like this--the more I scratched, the more I itched, and I couldn't even sleep. Two days after stopping Trintillix, the itching was gone. Two months of hell. Fixed drug eruption."

Brittomart (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Thought the nausea would pass but it didn't. I feel like a complete zombie that is constantly on the verge of throwing up. I'd rather be depressed than stay on this medication."

Anonymous September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Took 5 mg on a Friday, it put me to sleep for 12 hours. Took another 5 mg the next day and my chest seized up and my left arm lost sensation. I then started having heart arrhythmia every minute to the point where my entire left side of my chest hurt. I had no energy for the entire weekend. I felt depressed and miserable and in pain. I tried one more time Sunday night before bed and it woke me up from a dead sleep with chest pain and arrhythmia. I still have chest pain and arrhythmia and I've been off of it for 1 week. My energy levels are still low and I get out of breath easily. I have never had any problems cardio wise in the past."

Sogilu September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I started at a 1/4 dose (2.5mg) and couldn't make it past day 6. I didn't have the vomiting that others report, but it destroyed my appetite. And then gave me diarrhea. Fastest 5lbs I ever lost. But moreover, it felt like I'd taken a bad amphetamine. It made me INCREDIBLY anxious; heart racing; waking at 5AM in a panic. I've taken SSRI's before--this was something more/different. There were a few glimmers around day 5 when I felt my mood was better (kind of like the kick you get from a cup of coffee) but the rest was unmanageable."

Markus2017 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I took this from Feb 2017 until Sept 2017 for my GAD. I alternated between 5mg & 10mg daily. It worked ok for my anxiety, but just ok. Sex drive non-existent. Gained 20 lbs with no other lifestyle changes, so it had to be this medicine. I stopped with no withdrawal symptoms so that's good."

RedHairGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor switched me from being on Zoloft for 2+years for anxiety/ depression, cause it stopped working. Though it was rough to come off 150 mg dose of Zoloft onto 5mg trintillix to current dose of 10 mg, my depression symptoms have mostly gone away. But as soon as I started 10 mg dose, I felt nauseated every time after taking it. After 1 week on 10mg, told my doctor about the nausea, she said the benefits outweighed the side effects, to give it more time. 2 months later, nausea is so bad,I feel like trash! It doesn't matter if I take it with/ without food, or the time of day I take it, it makes me nauseous all the time and vomit on several occasions. I also get severe acid reflux, so I'm about to quit this med, it's not worth it!"

Tummy hurts (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I've been on Trintellix for 7 weeks along with Buspirone for Anxiety, which is my biggest problem. About 1 month in on Trintellix I got hives and itchy skin too. Wasn't sure what that was about. The hives seem to be going away slowly, not all gone yet but the itchy skin remains. It's manageable, just annoying. Not really sure this medication is helping me. Right now just trying to get/keep the anxiety under control."

Daisy Jeanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this a week ago 5 mg (actually for bipolar) got super sick so reduced to 2.5 for two nights back to 5mg. Now a week later just took my 1st 10 feeling great! Clear head, patient, feeling good, not so stressed as before. I am a little worried or actually a lot about weight gain- I am very active, eat well etc and I really hope this doesn't slow my metabolism like other antidepressants. I am hopeful and happy so far!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking this drug for about 3 weeks (10mg) and not much happened. Then in several days my mood improved a lot. I had been on almost every medicaton before this - Sertraline, Escitalopram (helped a bit but made my emotions flat), Mirtazapine (helped but not enough), Agomelatine, Moclobemide (no reaction at all), Trazodone (made me extremely anxious), Clomipramine (helped a lot but had a lot of side effects: extreme sweating, constipation, decreased libido) so I was like "ok, we can try this, I don't expect anything to happen". My diagnosis is anxious depression with a bit of OCD and I must say I feel well on this drug. No side effects so far (!). Here in EU, it costs about 40 dollars a month, fully covered by state insurance."

Leon_cz September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "This pill makes me so nauseated and ill feeling that there is no way this should have ever been cleared by the FDA. After 2 months of taking it to let it "kick in" I feel like I'm physically dying. I've taken other anti-depressants that were fine. This should be recalled immediately."

JimDiesel (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Minimal effectiveness for me. Was on 10 mg for anxiety and depression for 8 months. Had to reduce to 5 mg due to extreme fatigue and general malaise. When my Dr. asked if it was helping I said I didn't know, other than it was making me tired and emotionless (not happy, not sad). His reply was if you don't know then it's not doing anything, Good answer! I tapered off over 2 months and withdrawal was hell. Now am only taking clonazapam for anxiety and feel much better. Tried it again for 1.5 weeks and only 5 mg (just to be sure) and had same extreme fatigue, blah blah blah feeling, and felt down and worthless. Then withdrawal effects again after only such a short period. This drug is not for me."

pvisser42 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"20 mg. Very disappointed with AD effects after 4 months. Less cravings for booze + cigs than effexor. Constipation, sluggishness, slightly improved cognition."

AnUserName August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had such bad side effects with many psychiatric drugs. Could not tolerate Zoloft, Lexapro, or Lamictal, and Prozac stopped working after a while. Trintellix has been a life saver and has caused NO nausea! In fact it also blocks the same receptor that many anti-nausea medications block. So for people who say they get nauseous on it, I think it's just a placebo effect for them. There's also a coupon on the website so I only have to pay $10/month. Only downside is it doesn't seem to help anxiety"

Ar89789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Have been on Trintellix 10 mg for 3 months now. Previously tried Celexa and Lexapro, and years ago Paxil and Prozac. Overall, it definitely works well to control my anxiety. My problems were more anxiety than depression, although Trintellix seems to help with my mood as well. I'm not nearly as tired as I was on Celexa and Lexapro. No nausea, but I still have some sexual side effects (low libido). Although the sexual side effects are definitely better than Celexa or Lexapro. Overall though, probably the best of the antidepressants I've been on, comparing efficacy vs. side effects."

Dc1331 August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken at least 5-6 antidepressants in the past and their positive effect tends to fade fast, leaving behind nothing but many unwanted pounds. After years unmedicated I have gone on 10mg of Brintellix, one dose with breakfast. Nausea, constipation and headache were brutal the first two weeks. My doctor suggested taking it at noon and today, at almost 4 weeks, only the nausea is left. I have also lost 4 pounds which is awesome for me! I feel my mood has significantly improved. I was very irritable and that has eased off. Nausea is a struggle. Will try saltines when taking it, to see if it helps."

JackieGeo August 21, 2017