User Reviews for Vortioxetine

Also known as: Trintellix

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Vortioxetine.

Vortioxetine Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Vortioxetine to treat Depression

"My doctor prescribed this medication for my depression. However, it has caused major anxiety and agitation. These two warnings are listed on the Trintellix web page. So be careful! You may be exchanging one problem for another!"

Grammy of 12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed Trintellix (5 mg) to help with anxiety and depression. After a week to about a week and a half of taking the medication, the nausea was very prevalent. I would take the medicine at night, with gravol and still be nauseous for the entirety of the next day. After 2 weeks on 5 mg I was bumped up to 10 mg and I think I'm past the side effects. I'm on week 3 of Trintellix and I feel great. I'm more calm, motivated, I'm sleeping better, and I feel more alert."

madsp2099 November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Prescribed this after Effexor started wearing off after about 3 years. Started at 5mgs..it was working and I felt better than I had in YEARS but dose still too low..after 4 weeks doc upped dose to 10mgs. Felt like I was going to achieve remission. But into 3 week on 10 mgs...bombastic stomach pain! Not nausea..that's to be expected. Not stomach aches. When I'd take the pill, 10 minutes later, to get such a bad stomach pain to where I could not eat normally that entire day. Went back down to 5mg..but thoughts and sadness coming through. Tried 5mgs 2x a day...STOMACH PAIN. Back to 5mg but too low dose. Tried 10 mgs again..encased pill in bread to ease pain but seemed like the and normalcy went away and pain still there off and on. Stopped after 4 months."

AnnStacia (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to take 4mg ondansetron (Zofran) with this medication to control the nausea which works perfectly. I have been on antidepressants for about 30 years and this one has been by far the best. I feel like my focus is much better. I have had 3 head injuries with 2 loss of consciousness (LOC) so I was really fuzzy for a long time until I got this medication."

mlp2 November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on 10mg for several months. Also take Wellbutrin, but that's really for smoking cessation. I had no side effects with Trintellix, and it seems to be working well even though we're entering my typical SAD part of the year."

Aj863 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I got 5mg samples from my doctor for depression and anxiety and took almost the whole sample bottle but had to stop. This drug affected me very oddly and I couldn’t take it anymore. In the beginning I felt like I was on speed, which I didn’t mind. It got rid of my depression and anxiety almost immediately. My confidence came back and I could get up in the morning. Towards the end, however, I had increased cravings for food, I went from not being able to sleep at all to having to sleep ALL DAY. My nipples almost got really tender and a little swollen. I knew I had to get off this medication it was horrible. Hopefully Wellbutrin will work for me."

Gailehart (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So Brintellix.... Started out with a small 5 mg dosage, didn't feel any positive affects nor negative. Which is positive, since I expected some serious nausea - so no side effects at all. Then 10 days ago my dosage was increased to 10 mg, still no side effects (this is the first antidepressant, that doesn't come with any side effect for me) I can't feel a huge improvement, but it seems like my mood is more stable, and concentration has improved. I will just have to give it some time. Overall I'm very happy that I started taking this medicine"

Simon NH November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The drug is working miraculously well to alleviate social anxiety disorder acquired by a traumatic brain injury. However, the nausea side-effect makes it almost worth quitting. Often borderline to vomiting with it. An inadvertent side effect, this drug may improve cognition. A meta-analysis of clinical trials (Rosenblat, Kakar, McIntyre, 2015) posted in PubMed found that it improved psychomotor speed by 34% (P=.0001) and delayed recall by 24% (P=0.0007)."

Tim Horton (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I have been on this drug for 3 days and can’t take it any more! I feel manic, have lost fine motor control, and my heart is running as fast as if I had been—well, running. Not for me!"

Dolly75 October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I'm on 10mg and the anxiety/depression has greatly improved. I used to take it at night before bed, but then I found myself not sleeping well at all. I changed to around lunch time and some days I am so nauseous I can't eat lunch. Such a shame since it's helping with the anxiety and depression, but the side effects are killer."

sc0689 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug works miraculously well for my social anxiety disorder, considerably alleviating a social anxiety condition caused by traumatic brain injury. Tried several other drugs and supplements before that were useless, but this one started working within days. But the nausea side effects make it almost bad enough to quit. Taking it after eating, feel sick for 20-30 minutes. Taking it on an empty stomach, borderline to vomiting for 20-30 minutes. An inadvertent but beneficial side-effect, it may improve cognition. A meta-analysis of clinical trials which assessed cognitive effects of depression treatments found that this drug improved psychomotor speed by 16% and delayed recall (memory assessment) by 24% (P<0.00001). "

Canuck100 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 5 mg/day for about 5 weeks for my OCD and am starting to see cessation of intrusive thoughts. The intrusive thoughts are a form of anxiety disorder dating back to childhood unpleasantness that I was powerless to stop. So I think it's working, along with CBT. I want to warn people not to mix this drug with Flexeril as this can cause serotonin syndrome. You will know this side effect by dry mouth, restlessness, constipation and dysphoria. It goes away after a day if you stop flexeril. The label actually says not to mix with any pain meds, even ibuprofen and aspirin, but these are not nearly as toxic as flexeril"

Goat2 October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"10 mg Side effects I'm having: abnormal dreams and night sweats. No benefits. Still hungry and sad."

ninah October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I took Effexor and other drugs for years...Most of my life. I always had a level of depression that never went away including suicidal thoughts. When I started trintellix I had the stomach upset that is common but it went away after a week or so. But the benefits I got from it far outweighed the detriments. I no longer have those thoughts daily and in general feel better. It was such a positive experience for me, when my daughter was diagnosed, I asked them to put her on it too. Now we are both much better than we were. Hope this helps"

Family affair October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve been on Prozac, Zoloft and cymbalta in the past. Zoloft was my last med. My grandma passed away so I bumped up to 100mg felt like a zombie. At 50mg which I know is low, I didn’t feel like it helped at all. Decided to try trintellix so I went off Zoloft in 2 days. Never had any side effects ever of withdrawal. Took 10mg of trintellix I though I was going to throw up everywhere. Can’t take on an empty stomach no one told me. I’m on day 2 of 5mg and the only complaint I have is stomach ache and diarrhea bad. I really hope this goes away I’ve had even enough issues with diarrhea in the past since I had my gallbladder out. Hoping for the best and it is really expensive tho look for the coupon online !"

Bluxx October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medication for severe depression. My Doctor started me on 10mg every night, I was extremely nauseous from it - I cut it down to 5mg every night.. which wasn't much better. I decided me feeling dizzy, nauseous and vomiting almost daily, wasn't worth the hassle. I also oddly gained 10lbs from this medication. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.."

PJlover (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I have been on several antidepressants before and needed to make a change. This medication was the worst experience ever. Major stomach issues and headache, but mostly the emotional side. Couldn't quit crying. I also didn't sleep for the week I tried to take it. Not for me. Do yourself a favor and don't start it."

Gracie 22 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I started traveling trintellix. For the first 4 days I threw up within 3 hours after I've taken it. After that I was still a little nauseous but not so bad as throwing up. I did get a slight headache and it was throughout the day very mild. After the third week the nagging headache and slight nausea was just too much for me to carry on. This medicine helped more than any other I've tried in 20 years but I just didn't like the side effects so I stopped the medicine. With my doctor's approval of course. So if you can hang on through the side effects and if they're not really bad for you this medicine would have been a 10"

Ktayt October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I've been on Trintellix for 6 months and this pill has been a miracle for me! I was on Wellbutrin for 5 months prior, but it ended up giving me anxiety so I switched. I've had depression for over a decade and nothing really took it away -- I did therapy, changed my diet, exercised.. I still felt grey, lifeless and didn't care much if I died. My depression was never overwhelming sadness, it was quite the opposite: I felt nothing. Nothing gave my pleasure. I was just a robot doing what I had to do. It worked quite quickly, about 3 weeks after I started. I will always have depression, but I'm able to cope now. I no longer feel like life is meaningless.. I now do things just for the sake of it. I finally enjoy normal events like everyone else."

Alexis456 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I took this medication for just two days. My doc told me I did not have to wean off of effexor I could just start taking the trintellix on the day I chose. I became severely depressed. It hit me like a load of bricks. Sobbing, feeling helpless, hopelessness and that my life was just not worth living. I was shocked at how fast these feeling came upon me I have never experienced something like this before and I have been on several antidepressants over the years. I also had severe nausea and diarrhea for over 24 hours. The third day, yesterday I went back to the effexor. Today I finally feel like myself inside and out. This medication was NOT for me!"

Alicat01 October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Expensive, Did not help with depression at all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't know how this pill got approval from the FDA. I know one sure thing- stay away from this pill"

Anonymous October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started 10mg 3 days ago oh my goodness the stomach pain and running to the bathroom! I feel as thou I am in labor with the pain! It starts after an hour taking the meds and lasts about 3 -4 hours! I take at 4am so I am not down all day long . Thankfully, I don't have a job to go to because that wouldn't happen if I continued this medication. I took half this morning at 6:30am overslept and oh wow still severe stomach pain as I write this running to the bathroom! This is the ONLY side effect I am having for now . I am going to suffer thru this for I need some relief and have heard great things about this medication after you get used to it. I also take 150mg Wellbutrin and 15mg buspan 3x a day. I hope all this works eventually"

GiaT September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I sure hope me writing this can help someone avoid the prolonged agony I experienced on Trintellix. I started with a 5 mg dose for one month. After about 5 days, I started having itching on my external vulva. By the 7th day, I almost went to the ER, but by that time, due to all my scratching, I had developed a pseudomonas aeruginos infection. Four courses of antibiotics later, the unbearable, constant, relentless, and ever-present itching was still there, with some hives. Though the infection was gone, the itching continued. I have never had intense itching like this--the more I scratched, the more I itched, and I couldn't even sleep. Two days after stopping Trintillix, the itching was gone. Two months of hell. Fixed drug eruption."

Brittomart (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Thought the nausea would pass but it didn't. I feel like a complete zombie that is constantly on the verge of throwing up. I'd rather be depressed than stay on this medication."

Anonymous September 21, 2017