User Reviews for Vortioxetine

Also known as: Trintellix

Learn more about Vortioxetine.

Vortioxetine Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Vortioxetine to treat Depression

"I have taken at least 5-6 antidepressants in the past and their positive effect tends to fade fast, leaving behind nothing but many unwanted pounds. After years unmedicated I have gone on 10mg of Brintellix, one dose with breakfast. Nausea, constipation and headache were brutal the first two weeks. My doctor suggested taking it at noon and today, at almost 4 weeks, only the nausea is left. I have also lost 4 pounds which is awesome for me! I feel my mood has significantly improved. I was very irritable and that has eased off. Nausea is a struggle. Will try saltines when taking it, to see if it helps."

JackieGeo August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 5mg Trintellix daily for one week. Beginning on the third day, I started developing an infection on my cheek, like a pimply lump. This grew over day 4 and 5. By day 6, it was humongous and felt like it was spreading into my neck and could affect my breathing. I feel like it would have killed me had I not gotten antibiotics from my doc on day 7. I took the antibiotics for 10 days straight, including antibiotic cream, and that almost didn't do it... I am healed now, but convinced it was the vortioxetine. If you Google "antidepressant, staph infections", there is literature on this. I felt really good that week, but won't try it again."

Mad Cow (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Been on 10mg trintellex for 9 days after weening off Zoloft 150mg over a month Really feel much better on trintellex but I have itchy skin and hives. I got hives on one side of face the first day now they move around . Take hydroxizine which has helped some Going to stop trintellex and start back on Zoloft to see if hives go away per Dr suggestion. Has anyone else gotten hives and do they go away over time. If I knew they would go away I would stick with it a little longer"

Flowersrule August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Trintellix (30 mg) has helped manage my depression but has resulted in exceptional weight gain. I have gained 30 lb in 9 months, which just adds to the depression and self disgust."

GSD 521 August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Been on this medication for about 6 months now. I didn't have any start up side effects which has always been an issue with me. Been on so many different antidepressants with no good results. I'm no longer sad and I honestly think I'm in a good place in my life. Added in 100mg of wellbutrin SR for energy since the trintellix didn't give me that boost. Only complaint is I have muscle spasmsmore frequently and this medication hasn't helped with my G.A.D. Some days I'll have to take an anti anxiety pill but not very often. I got the savings card and only pay $10 for this which is nice."

Lo Marie August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Single administration of Vortioxetine was only partially useful for me. Not satisfactory. I would rate it 50 out of 100. Could keep my office job, but my hypersomnia with excessive daytime sleepiness and non-24 hours sleep wake problem still disturbing and “painful”, made me want to quit the job and rest at home. Then a doctor started to add venlafaxine (and later on desvenlafaxine) and Imipramine 10mg, starting from 2016 August. There was signifcant and noticable improvement as dosage increase. My current dosage is : Vortioxetine 20mg + Venlafaxine 112.5mg + Desvenlafaxine 50mg + Imipramine 10mg + melatonin 3mg (This dosage was reached on 2017 May 6, and today is 2017 Aug 11) I would rate this combination 75 out of 100."

iambigandbad (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I am 59 year old woman - I had bizarre dreams every night and I also suffered severe muscle spasms on Trintellix."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "My doctor gave me samples. Went from Zoloft to Trintellix. Let's just say, this has not been a good experience. I have a tough stomach but everytime I take this medicine I'm to the point of vomiting. Tried taking it before bed, definitely not a good idea either. Up vomiting too. I did see a small boost in energy though.. but with all the sickness, I would have to say taking this is not worth it."

Thatgirl789 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "The medication worked well for 6 months with no sexual side effects. However, after that, I have noticed that Trintellix not effective as used to be and I dealt with low libido. Once I stopped the medication, my sexual desire was back. Overall, the medication deserves a trial especially if your insurance covers it. Good luck every one."

Abdul0120 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I have generalized anxiety disorder with a hint of depression. I started out on 5mg of brintillix along with buspar and klonopin, then after 2 weeks I went up to 10 mg of trintillix. I take the medicine in the morning and within 10 mins I'm having severe abdominal pains, dry heaving , migraines, and itching everywhere!!!! I've been on klonopin for years so I know it's not that. Buspar makes me feel crazy so only thing It could be is the trintillix. I just assume stop rather than take anymore and feel this much physical pain. It will make you crazy in itself. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Janafaye (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I was prescribed this medication for anxiety I am going on almost 8 weeks now and really starting to feel better not 100% sure if it's the meds or that I cut back my working hours but I feel pretty good! I did have migraines and nausea when I first started but I toughed it out if you can tough out the side affects it will get better !"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I too have had symptoms of concern which is what lead me to these reviews. I had the nausea, which lasted for a couple of hours after taking it. This morning I took my medicine with salty crackers, symptoms gone. I found this info thought I would share, hope it .Low Blood Sodium (Hyponatremia) - ... Healthline › health › hyponatremia Mar 28, 2017 - Common symptoms of low blood sodium include: weakness. fatigue or low energy. headache. nausea and vomiting. muscle cramps or irritabilityHyponatremia (Low Sodium) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - What Are the ... eMedicineHealth › home › topics az list Oct 19, 2016 - Patients may complain of with headache, nausea and vomiting, lethargy, and confusion. If the sodium concentration drops quickly to critical levels, seizures, coma, and death may occur. If dehydration is associated with hyponatremia, weakness and muscle aches and cramps may co-exist."

ME, watching Sodium levels (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I ended up in the hospital with major hyponatremia due to this medication; and only on it for one week. The doctors did not know why I had such a low sodium level and it was due to the Trintellix. Caution should be taken."

babipuffin (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst antidepressant out there. Ruined my life. I took 5 mg for a week, then 10mg for 2 weeks, gone up to 15mg but couldn't persist because of unbearable itching so went back to 10mg for another three weeks. I stopped taking it because it was completely unhelpful, all in all - 1.5 months with this drug. When I quit it I began experiencing withdrawal symptoms: Brain zaps, muscle twitches, tight muscles, extreme agitation and restlessness, no focus or concentration, loss of memory. I'm writing this review almost a year after quitting this drug(!) and still the symptoms persist. I think that it caused permanent brain damage. If you've been hurt by this drug like me, spread the word! If you're considering taking it, STAY AWAY!"

Nobrint (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I was crying every day, and now after 3 weeks taking this medication I'm stable. I feel like my emotions went away. I have headache often, eyes pain, but no nausea at all. I take it before bedtime. I'm better emotionally, not happy about the headache."

Andrea2017c July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I'm on the fence with Trintellix. I had been taking Zoloft for about a year and a half with no problems, except I started to lose all emotions...not happy, not sad. No motivation. My doctor suggested Trintellix, so I switched and have been on 10 mg for about 3 months. I feel nauseous every time I take it, but it's tolerable and just passes. However, yesterday, about 30 min after taking it, eating and having some coffee, I had to run to the bathroom to vomit, like a lot. Today, I also feel even more nauseous. I'm surprised after 3 months that it is still just as bad, if not worse. However, from a mood perspective, I feel SO much better. Not sure if lowering the dose would help or what, but any suggestions would be helpful :)"

sunny23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I've been taking trintellix for 3 months now. My doctor gave me samples for 2 1/2 months to try it out. It worked for me. No side effects, or nausea like some people have reported. At first my insurance denied coverage but after an appeal, I was covered. When I picked up my script it was 470$ I do feel a little extra sleepy at times, could be a side effect. But other than that I feel pretty good. However I still am not on anything for anxiety because they stopped giving benzos. I do take lamictal at night for my mood, but it's not enough. After trying at least 10 meds, I am pretty happy with this one."

Anonymous2100 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "Hi, Like others, I have been on medication for 10 years, effexor that is @ 300 mg a day!! Now I see that is wayyy to much! I should of researched it when I started effexor. Coming off of Effexor took a month of SLOWLY weaning down, still was really, really bad... The worst it felt like! I went for 4 weeks without any depression meds, I wanted to see how I would feel. The first 3 weeks after my last dose of effexor @ 75 mg every other day for a week, (so u know where I was chemically), the first 2 weeks after my last dose of effexor was wonderful, I thought I am OK! The third week being on 0 antidepressant I was really bad shape, mentally. So I made an appt. With family doc, told him how I felt and he recommended Trentillix. Continued"

The Bull (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think this AD needs to be reformulated. The early upset stomach and headaches are awful There does not seem to be any real lift from depression but a muting of your emotions. I just feel FLAT and listless."

Snqr July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "This is by far the worst medication I've tried. I got severe nausea from it every day even after 6 weeks, it made me extremely agitated and mean and grouchy, and it raised my anxiety a ton!"

Worst medication I've tried (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "This medicine... I feel like there is something wrong with it. The first three weeks, I was nauseous all the time. I did have a feeling of euphoria for the first couple of weeks despite the sickness. The weirdest side effects were the loss of taste and smell. Seriously weird. I couldn't smell any odor at all and as for taste? Nothing. I could eat jalapenos straight out of the jar like they were m&m's. It was crazy!!! I finally stopped taking it. I was still anxious and found myself to be listless and tired, so why bother? Besides the symptoms were too much to deal with. I have been off Trintellix for almost 3 weeks now. I'd say that my ability to taste and smell are still at 25%. I'm worried that they will never come back."

Jhawkins0522 July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I absolutely hated this whole ordeal I have been through. I will start by saying everyone is different and if you are doing great on this medication then I am happy for you. I did not fair as well. It first started with the anger. I am normally not at all angry (I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder mainly) so freaking out about the tiniest things are not me. But I wanted to give it the full 6 weeks so I carried on. Next was the Tinnitus. It was in both ears about once or twice a day (as a 25 year old female this was not normal for me), but again I carried on. Then the horrid anxiety and panic attacks came and didn't go away. Then I woke up with horrid muscle aches and almost convulsion like tremors. Went to ER and was told to stop meds."

hailsmarie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After trying several other pills and combination of medicine, this changed my life. I had Depression, ADD, anxiety. With this one at 20 mg, my depression is gone, my ADD is better and I can focus better. I can get up in the morning and take my dog out for walks, which was impossible before because of my anxiety. When I started taking this, the side effects were bad. I itched throughout, I couldn't sleep and I was nauseous all the time. In two weeks time that passed, but when switching from 10 mg to 20 mg, they came back. After two weeks the side effects were again gone. In a long term use I haven't noticed any side effects after the first few weeks. I think this is the best medication for me."

Outi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I have been on this med for just about a week and have not felt this sick in my entire life. I am having hot flashes, nausea, light-headedness, balance issues, chills, dizziness, can't focus--my body is even twitching in weird places. Every second of the day and I feel like I am about to vomit. I went onto this medicine because I had been on Paxil for several years, but wanted to try something that is supposed to have fewer sexual side effects. I know there is an adjustment period for all medications, but this one is too severe for it to be worth it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Trintellix (vortioxetine): "I have an awful film in my mouth. I sleep too much. I have no energy. I am very worried because it seems like I have spasms in my esophagus. I do like this prescription because I do not cry all the time. Too expensive."

Saundra Lynn June 21, 2017