User Reviews for Effexor

Postpartum Depression
4.7

Summary of Effexor reviews 6.1 330 reviews

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "I used to take effexor, started with 37 mg dose ended with 150 mg dose, terrible experience. When you stop it - please stop it gradually as possible!! I stopped it and I enjoy perfect health again!! George"

kissonerga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Horrible experience that I feel left me permanently damaged. Prescribed 37mg for panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder. Every symptom it was intended to treat got worse. I got so drowsy that I fell asleep through a 12 hour work shift as a caregiver, client had a fall and I did not wake up. I could not open my eyes no matter how badly I tried. Detoxing was worse. Unbearable body aches that made me more suicidal than I’d ever been because nothing relieved it. The brain zaps made me breakdown into a full panic attack crying every time because they were so painful and agitating. I’m 3 weeks off of it and having bizarre behaviors that I NEVER had before, even in my worst depression. I’ve had to give up my car keys from trying to drive off a cliff/into a wall suddenly with no warning and for no reason, I am unable to work because of my mental state that is NOT going back to baseline with time."

Jess (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2018

"After trying 4 or 5 different medicines for anxiety, finally effexor 75mg three a day changed my life. I live a normal life at work which is fantastic."

George L (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor at the beginning then to 75 mg, then up to 150 mg. At that time I started having nausea. My dose was raised up to 225 mg, and there it got real bad. Strong nausea, vomit, brain zaps, anxiety so strong I could rip off my skin with my hands, stomach problems. I wasn't suicidal for a good time, until now. I thought my harsh past was the worst time of my life no. This so much worse. I was not able to see my psychiatrist so I had to deal with it alone, I lowered the dose, but I still had all these effects. Right now it's a day I'm off. I'm feeling brain zaps, fever feeling, can't do hard work, can't walk fast, difficulty eating and digesting, and anxiety. I've read some people responded well to this antidepressant, but if you are about to start taking this, don't. You either take it and it works OR it will bring you down, it's not worth it. Stay away from this, please."

anon23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

For Depression "I really want to mention that this drug is intended to be started at its lowest dosage, 37.5mg once a day for a minimum of 2 weeks. Do not break in half or chew it if it is the extended release. You can open it and sprinkle it on food. Posts herein show patients have been placed on higher doses to start. That may be the reason why it's not worked for some. The body needs time to acclimate. Dosages increase by 37.5mg after 2-3 weeks to a therapeutic range which is 150mg. For some, effects have taken place at lower doses therefore that would YOUR therapeutic range. I'm on 37.5mg once a day for 2 weeks with minimal side effects. Will continue to increase the dosage by 37.5mg once a day until I reach my therapeutic range. Effexor is NOT recommended for teenagers and below b/c the side effects are quite severe, maybe b/c of the developing brain. This is the reason this drug is no longer marketed. It's still prescribed b/c full adults seem to do better on it."

BlueRooster (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Depression "I dreaded taking effexor. It put me into a darker mood, outlook was foggy, nausea, headache, loss of libido, incapacitating loss of motivation and extreme/intolerable drowsiness. I was in an important meeting with engineers and I couldn't keep my eyes open no matter how desperately hard I tried. For me, there was no upside to the medication. It was an entirely negative experience. Had to discontinue and will never take it again. Yikes!"

N2H4 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

For Depression "I am amazed at all the comments that say, "this drug should be banned". Antidepressants of any kind work differently for different people. I tried Zoloft for a month, and in spite of the glowing reviews found it intolerable. I cried so much that I could barely leave the house. I had diarrhea constantly, (never have had diarrhea in my life). Switched to Effexor and felt like I had my life back again. Unbelievable change in my mood. Have been on tons of antidepressants for the last 40 years and so glad that something is working so far."

Birdlover65 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

For Depression "I was put on Effexor 75mg for the first week, then 150mg after that. It made my depression worse, I felt worse than I had in years, and almost cost me my job. I slept for almost 20 hours a day, was dizzy, and overall felt like a zombie. I had to quit after less than two weeks the side effects were so severe. This drug is nicknamed "SideEffexor" for a reason."

Emily (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Depression "Started taking effexor for about 1 week now at 75mg per day (37.5 mg in the morning and 37.5 mg after dinner) after a terrible experience with cymbalta. The first few days I had nausea and tired beyond belief and excessive yawning. The nausea has gotten better but the tiredness continues and the yawning as well. Also am getting headaches every now and then though they are not too bad. My mood has lifted a little I believe. Also I was on wellbutrin xl for years and though it helped a little bit in the beginning and then it stopped working. I am hoping this one works."

Anon (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Within the first week of trying Effexor, I noticed it made me go to the bathroom excessively and I lost all of my sexual sensation. I did stay on it for another month+ to see if these symptoms would level out with time. They did not. So after 8 weeks, I am back to the drawing board to see if something else can work better."

Diane457 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was 17 years old when I was put on effexor (a few years ago) after many medications weren't working for my major depressive disorder. First month it didn't feel like it was doing anything but I didn't think much about it, I think a lot of people aren't aware of how common this drug makes people actually try commit suicide. I was told by one of my friends to not start taking this medication because it is known to make people go over the edge but I didn't listen and in the end this medication made all my symptoms worse after being on it for 4 months. I felt VERY suicidal and felt as though I was living in a dream or in a trance. I did end up trying to commit suicide while being on this medication I suggest everyone to NOT start this medication."

Lilbaby March 4, 2018

For Depression "I have been on Effexor for nine months for my severe anxiety disorder. I was having trouble controlling my emotions so the dr upped the dose. I started off at 37.5 and then increased to 75 mg. I was still having emotional issues so it was upped to 225mg. The symptoms just got worse! I had so many things that this med caused that I lost my job! I went to the dr and started getting off the Effexor. I feel like myself again ! No more feelings of suicide, crying all day, feeling like I was in the way and worthless, having urinary problems and always being tired. I had no idea it was the meds! I basically suffered for nothing! Please be aware of the side effects ."

Tam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2018

For Depression "I'm a 43 year old man going through a painful divorce. Until I started on Effexor (75mg) last week, I couldn't sleep at night, was obsessing over my ex, feeling ABSOLUTE despair and hopelessness with bouts of furious rage. I was a wreck. Now all those symptoms are gone... But so is everything else! I am currently unemployed, and HAD been hustling like crazy to find a new job, but since Effexor, my MOTIVATION is completely GONE-- I have zero sense of urgency, when I know that I should be freaking out a little because I have bills to pay and I NEED a job. I binged 3 hours of Netflix in the middle of the day for no reason!! I've never been a procrastinator-- but that's all I'm about all of a sudden, and I could not care less! I was on Effexor years ago for my quick temper and depression, but went off it after two years because the apathy came to be too much. Looks like I am going to have to do it again-- because I need my hustle back!!!"

JRNyc (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

For Depression "One of the few antidepressant that have not caused me to put on weight. Works reasonably well for depression and somewhat less well for anxiety. I sleep far more on this drug than normal, although this has been the case with all AD medications I’ve taken previously."

Locc (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

For Depression "I know this sounds dumb BUT I never ever, EVER had WARTS, but while I was on Effexor warts started to pop up on my hands, I was just taking Effexor, nothing else. I thought it coudn't be Effexor, but that was the only thing I was doing different, so I stopped it and within 2 to 3 weeks they were ALL-GONE, I couldn't believe it, (I have a witness). I will never take it again, if it caused the warts out-side what did it do in-side? All I know now is that it has been 12 years since then, an now I have M.S. :("

Willow10364 January 29, 2018

For Depression "Effexor was the worst antidepressant I've ever taken. It seemed to help at first but only for a short time. The side effects were crazy. Brain zaps, waking up screaming for no reason, feeling hot all the time to the point of not wanting to go anywhere. Random muscle twitches, not being able to shut my brain off to fall asleep... My point is, not every medicine is for everyone. This one is too tough to quit cold turkey but once I got off of it I felt better."

Emmski January 27, 2018

For Depression "Worst drug I've ever taken in my life. Made my depression worse immediately to a low I've never been to in my entire life. My eye pupils kept dilating and restricting. I had to get off immediately after four days. I've since been on medications that work quite well for me but effexor was a nightmare so if you are having a horrible reaction get off it!!! It worked well for a friend of mine but not for me."

Candy 2015 January 20, 2018

For Depression "I suffer from severe anxiety & mild depression. I had no idea how this was ruining my life. I was so nervous to try medication but finally got the point that I was desperate. Tried Zoloft, Wellbutrin & Celexia. Felt awful or had such strong side effects that I couldn't continue them. Finally tried effexor at 37.5mg for 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks were absolute hell. So sick & emotions were all over the place. I was about to give up on it but my doctor suggested 75mg. Wow! What a difference. Still have the side effects (nausea, constipation, some dizziness, loss of appetite, brain fog) but hoping those go away as I'm only on week 3 now at new dosage. Mentally I'm already feeling better! Not sure how much for my anxiety but definitely for depression"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2017

For Depression "Excellent medication for my Panic disorder. You need to take it for 2 weeks before feeling any improvement, no real side effects, yawning and tiredness mainly."

Sorcia November 24, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have fibromyalgia and the doctors also diagnosed major depressive disorder. After a few attempts, I was prescribed Effexor, but I was never warned of the side effects or the horrible withdrawal symptoms if you ever want to stop. Research it first, I wish I had. I could not get my prescription for 4 days once and I felt like a drug addict, throwing up, sweating, headache, chest pains. It was severe. I think dying would have been a welcome option at one point. All because I had not realized I was out of refills. Anything that severe is not safe for your body. Now, I am stuck on a medication that has made me feel worse until I can do slowly wean off that it may take a year plus because it impacts your entire body when you cut back slightly."

Purduegoddess (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 20, 2017

For Depression "I took Effexor for the first and last time yesterday around 7:41 am . At first I couldn't feel my arms or face and then it felt like fire works were going off in my head . I yawned all day long and each time I did I felt like my own tongue was gagging me . The worst of it was around 3:45 am I woke up shaking uncontrollably falling over couldn't see straight it felt like I was being electrocuted it was to the point I either wanted to be knocked out or die . My husband found me shaking and rocking back and forth in our living room floor . This drug for me personally was horrific ."

Brit91 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

For Depression "I've struggled with GAD since my late teens which worsened following a tragic and untimely death in the family..which also lead to PTSD I tried numerous anti depressants but most of them slowed me down I didn't want this. So many years ago maybe 12 years ago I was prescribed effexor since then my dose has gone up and down I'm now on 225mg daily I was able to come off them cold turkey for 3 pregnancies I can only suggest early pregnancy hormones took over as withdrawal effects were minimal. But in general withdrawal effects are horrendous if I miss a day or 2 as I've failed to collect them on time I have an upset stomach...sweating and termors...nightmares, feelings of terror, luckily they work fast! I'm a fan they help & make me feel normal"

Gemini81 (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2017

For Depression "I have used this drug for around 5 years now. I am ultra-sensitive to medication, so when I am stable (I am bipolar) I go down to 112.5mg and when depressed I go to 150mg. At these doses, I still get the side effects. And QUICK withdrawal if I miss my morning dose... ie by lunch time, I am nauseous and getting brain-shocks. Having been on some other types of antidepressants, I prefer this one as I have energy (despite drowsiness being a side-effect). I would not change my anti-depressant again."

NikNakNoNo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

For Depression "Effexor has been good for my work life, it has given me energy to get things done, and to not stress as much about anything, including social interactions. It sort of numbs my emotions which has been good because I usually cry easily, and get easily bitter. I don't get overIy happy tho. I also like how I don't feel like I'm on a drug, my mind isn't cloudy. I have trouble when it comes to working on projects at home, projects I used to work on so easily now stress me out just thinking about the process of it all. I have an unusually strong urge to bite my nails, crazy dreams (which is fine), lethargic. Appetite fine except when changing my dose."

Kae333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

For Depression "Well where do I start? Middle aged mom of three and wife and a year ago it all went down hill. So I go to my doctor explain things and how I'm feeling and she prescribed me this medicine to me at 75mg a day then upped it to 150mg. The first few days I was so ill and sleepy I was passing out in the middle of sentences (eyes rolling back and body tremors) so I tried it for 6 months it really affected being able to orgasm which I didn't know it would do? So I started to ween myself off without doctors consent because its clearly NOT working to control my anxiety my mood swings or bringing a balance to my ADD/OCD. The nausea is horrible, the dreams are HORRIFIC I attacked my husband in my sleep and he had to pin me down. Don't take this medicine!"

L's Sunshine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017