User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

4.7
Summary of Effexor reviews 279 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "This medication has been life changing for me. Even after my first dose I was feeling like "me" again which I haven't felt like in 7 years. I'm much more calm and relaxed about life and when things happen I can deal with them in a positive manner. I will say the one downfall of this drug is the side effects if you miss even ONE dose. I've been on it for about 4 months now and I missed my first dose yesterday, which was my fault because I forgot the pharmacy closes early on Sunday's and was too late picking it up. "

BlytheMarie January 23, 2017

For Depression "I read all the reviews and still thought I could beat the odds and it "might" work for me. The first day of taking it I was so shaky, nauseous, and it made me even more depressed than usual. I am not on any other meds so I figured I would try this first since my doctor just kept recommending it to me. NEVER AGAIN!!! Even if you think your that 1 in a million who won't get the side effects don't risk it!! There's so many others out there to try it's not even worth the one day of being suicidal and miserable"

Rje877 January 21, 2017

For Depression "Have been taking this for over 5 yrs and have found it to be pretty good overall. Have had no side effects like the ones mentioned here by others so it's obviously very individual. Have noticed recently tho that its effectiveness has been waning so am now on Mirap to try to boost my depression am completely drowsy nearly all the time!?"

Dinnikins (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

For Depression "This medication was by far the worst antidepressant have taken. The first month I seemed to do very well on it, after a year on it, I hit rock bottom mentally. It caused more terrible symptoms than what was beneficial to me. I had weird brain zaps that left me in bed for days, sleep disturbances, attention seeking behavior, as well as OCD that I had never experienced previously. It took forever to get off this terrible drug and I call it a terrible drug because your brain and body get physically addicted the way a street drug would, you miss 1 day and you start having severe withdrawals, sweats, extreme brain zaps, feeling out of touch w/reality/strange thoughts. After a month of being off Effexor, All of the bad stuff stopped."

Depressed4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

For Depression "Horrible drug. Do not take this. I was up to 250 mg before I decided to quit cold turkey. I was hearing things, nauseous, seeing things. I thought I was going insane. I was a first timer in meds and I had to work on top of it. I fully trusted the doctor to prescribe me the right meds. The doctor laughed me off when I told him what I went through. I thought I was going to die. After taking this drug I can never trust doctors again. It ruined me. He acted like it was no big deal. Do not take this drug lightly. I'm so surprised that dotors are so cautious about giving benzos but not antidepressants. They only care about the money they are getting paid by big pharma. Don't get me wrong some meds work. But be careful you only get one brain"

Truestory3uu4u4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

For Depression "Well no experience more like question I was just prescribed this drug but I see so many bad reviews so I'm scared for dear life to try it but I need something to work I was on Zoloft 50 mg but it did nothing what else can I get on that I won't have awful side effects like these reviews"

Raeb26 January 2, 2017

For Depression "This drug ruined my life. It made me delusional, paranoid, aggressive, short tempered. As a result I lost my partner, my job and my house. Don't take it!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2016

For Depression "I just starting taking it about a month ago. I have all of the common side effects. My only concerning side effect is decreased urination and anorgasma. I am a female. Has any one else experienced this?"

Musbjeli (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

For Depression "This medication was interestingly paradoxical for me. While it was rather effective in treating the ailments as it was advertised to, it failed in another, very important area. Withdrawal from the medication needs to be undertaken over a period of several weeks gradually weaning the patient off the medication and supplementing with short term additional medications. While the medication is effective I would personally recommend drugs that affect GABA (i.e. Xanax, Clonazepam, Valium) to help the patient when stopping medication and also to keep in reserve in case of a shortage or stoppage of the medication. Please be careful with this drug. There are other drugs, and isomers, that are safe and effective as well."

Silent Harambe December 15, 2016

For Depression "Been on Effexor for fourteen years. It makes Ocd worse and PTSD worse and my depression worse. I don't care what these negative reviews say, I am switching from this crap drug to another antidepressant. I feel fourteen years of my life have been ruined and I was lied to by the medical profession, they never told me how terrible this drug was and how it makes paranoia and OCD and PTSD worse. Oh and I can't eat oats or wheat or cheese or margarine or butter as it gives me drowsiness and unbeatable tiredness.Effexor should be banned, its ruined my life and I can't wait to come off it and go on another drug."

Hildaream (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2016

For Depression "Please please please.......If your doctor suggests this drug to you, do your research. I am 18 and just put full trust in my doctor when she told me to take it. 7 months later and I wish I never ever took it. I usually take my 150mg dose when I wake up in the morning and now I cannot even go until 11 pm at night if I forget to take it without having withdrawals. I experience nausea and feel uneasy on my feet as well as shakiness. It is ridiculous and I write this to stress that this is not a light topic. BE CAREFUL!!!!!"

Hayleyc111 November 28, 2016

For Depression "I started taking Effexor following an unexpected divorce that left me feeling a significant grief and anxiety for my children's future. I never had suicidal thoughts before, during or after taking this drug. I took it for 2 years and I don't know if it helped me, or if it was the meditation (Qigong) or acceptance and reflection. Some side effects included increased libido, occasional little spasms of the diaphragm muscle (at the base of the lungs), and strange and vivid dreams. Missing only one dose sent me into what is known as "brain zaps", and feels just like electrical zaps in the brain, together with sensory dissociation. This is the main reason I was afraid to stop taking it."

Le Pierrot November 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on Effexor now for almost 6 months. I take a combined dose of 75mg and 150mg at once( 225mg) I started at 150 and was given the 75mg a few days later to help with my anxiety. The meds do make me " numb" to emotions, and it does help with my depression and anxiety. I have good and bad days. Sometimes my meds will make me sick to my stomach, I often feel dizzy and feel brain zaps, and " electrical" zaps down my arms and fingers. It often takes away my appetite, and have lost weight I often struggle with constapation too. And sometimes it makes the voices, depression and anxiety worse. Compared to other meds in the past, Effexor is better. On good days I feel better and turn from realistic view point in the world to a more positive"

Hannah626 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2016

For Depression "If you are thinking about taking this, do not do it. Ask your doctor for something else, anything else. Effexor is horrible. I was put on it due to Depression and Generalised Anxiety. Within the first few weeks I was emotionally numb, I wasn't sad anymore but I couldn't feel happiness. Six months later, while still on this I became suicidal and self harming, my heart rate started increasing due to my anxiety to the point where I was hospitalised. After that it was decided I was so come off it, now coming off it is even worse then being on it, shaking, dizziness, headaches, puking, sweating. I've only been off it a week and already I can feel my mental health calming down. Avoid this drug. Please. For your own safety."

ErinShannon November 22, 2016

For Depression "Horrible experience with this drug. It has a very short half life, so you must take it at the exact same time every day or you will become extremely nauseated. Then you have to wean yourself off of it. It was a nightmare. I now take 100 mg of Zoloft each day and that is perfect."

Texasteacher63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

For Depression "I'm lucky enough to have showed side effects the first day! I started Venlaflaxine 6:00am before work and experienced so much energy I barely knew what to do with it. This was nice considering I am always tired, but the energy came along with clenched jaw, dialated pupils, and no appetite what so ever. When I got home to try to sleep at 10pm I was not able to. I had so much anxiety from thinking I heard things that weren't there. I was shaking from anxiety and being so abnormally cold. Woke up all night long and at one point was wet from sweat. Thanks to these early side effects and others stories I only needed to take this drug one day to decide I need to stay away from it."

Sademc October 28, 2016

For Depression "My Doctor is bad and suggested this medicine. I've tried lots of different ones nothing has helped in 10 yrs. She stated it would help my pain , hot flashes and menopause. I came home took a 37.5 mg at 8pm and by 11 pm I was sick - my stomach hurt so bad I vomited and I was hot / cold , my pupils were dilated , I could not control my emotions or my stomach , I threw up againe. I've been a nervous wreak for 36 hrs. I woke up with a terrible right side headache, muscle ache in my jaw or my right eye, feeling sick to my stomach. I only took 1 pill its the worst medication , ever , I've been on lots of meds , but nothing has ever done this. I do not recommend this pill to anyone. I'm just trying to get it out of my system , please read all reviews before you try it."

shellbe (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

For Depression "I am extremely disheartened in reading the negative reviews. I have taken Effexor since 1993. I began taking 37.5 mg and later lived for one year in a private psychiatric hospital for a suicide attempt. My psychiatrist, then the President of the American Psychiatric Association, increased my dose to 600 mg per day. This miracle drug kept and still keeps me alive some 23 years later. I have experimented with not taking this or any medication. I never presented with any withdrawal symptoms. However, like clockwork, on the 3rd day w/o it I begin to cry tears over nothing. By the 4th day I find myself in the midst of severe depression. within an hour of beginning my regimen again, I am back to my normal. Do not be afraid to try this medicati"

Plugcov October 22, 2016

For Depression "I read reviews but didn't listen...decided not to listen to that small voice in my head too that also agreed wow if the reviews are this awful its not worth it ...to be honest if your here reading this...there's a good chance you may try for yourself regardless ...I just think all the negative comments on here as per my experience are 110% truthful...anyone that is all for it scare me and i wonder if people are hired to write positive reviews for things and lie to others...maybe not lol but maybe so ..don't try this..."

Mindfulymiss (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "HI , dz . I wanted to share my expirience with effexor ( flaxyne) for anxiety , panic attack disorder and depression I m a 28 old girl I have been taking effexor 75 mg for years but no result at all then my ps augmented the dose to 225mg which works greatly now with all my disorders and I m also on 100mg sulpiride which blocks perfectly black persecutive ideas and help reduce my anxiety too but here is the prblm I faced an important lack of libido and anorgasmia and a delayed period due to high dose flaxyne probably , but after months I m taking an infusion of Fenugreek seeds I m not drinking every day but at least twice in 28 days and it really helped with the side effects of effexor ."

Mjdalina (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

For Depression "This medication was the first to have any kind of positive emotional and physical effect on me. Not all medications work the same on everyone but this one sure worked on me."

Buddyholly99 October 19, 2016

"I never intended on writing a review but I feel that I need to share my experience. Like many others I looked here first for reviews and saw many negative thoughts and was hesitant. I've taken many other message and nothing worked for my anxiety. After 3 months, I have not had a single panic attack and I used to have them almost daily. Negative impacts are definitely the side effects. You need to be prepared. I took 3 weeks off work and suffered big time. Literally it was miserable, it was like having a hang over every day with terrible dirreah, cramps, etc.. But it goes away with time. Every day felt like being on extacy. It's pretty crazy. Long term side effects: trouble sleeping, vivid dreams, alcohol, and cigarette cravings."

Matt123456 October 15, 2016

For Depression "This drug is awful. I started taking it for depression over 11 years ago and I've been on doses 75 mg up to 300mg. I'm currently taking 150mg and I'm so addicted. I've tried so many times to get off the drug and can't go longer than that third day. It will make u sick and crazy. My advice to anyone is never start it. It may as well be classified like painkillers and other addictive drugs. Please do not start this medication. Oh and btw I'm still very much depressed!!"

Shae C October 12, 2016

For Depression "Venlafaxine made me, dizzy, gave me nausea and diarrhea. My anxiety increased because of the severe stomach distress this medication caused me. I felt all around lousy. Took medication for 2 months hoping the symptoms would subside. The problems just got worse."

MeFrankMe October 11, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had been off all meds for 10 yrs when I had a major relapse and knew it was time to medicate again. Effexor is hard to get on, lots of dizziness and exhaustion. Also if I am late taking it I feel awful. Headaches, anxiety, mood swings. Don't ever miss a dose!! I can't stress this enough. Withdrawal hits hard and fast, even within 12 hours. Sweats, chills, headache, dreams, whole body pain. HOWEVER it does help me get through the day. I have suicidal depression and clinical anxiety, so for me it is worth some struggle to stay with Effexor because it does give me relief. It calms my brain, allows me to get moving with my day, and not have the threat of my own self-destructive tendencies."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2016