User Reviews for Effexor

Effexor has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 388 ratings on Drugs.com. 44% of those users who reviewed Effexor reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Depression
2.5
Summary of Effexor reviews 5.6 388 reviews

Reviews for Effexor

Joy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 26, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I was prescribed Effexor after taking prozac for anxiety and depression. Prozac made me more suicidal and depressed hence why I switched. Effexor 30 mg is by far the worst medicine I have ever taken. I had terrible night terrors, I sweated a lot for no reason, I slept walked a lot, I was angry all the time for no reason, no sex drive, and when I did have sex I could never enjoy it to completion. This medicine made me feel crazy. I'd give it a negative 10 if I could. I ended up back in the mental hospital and the doctor suggested I take more!! I completely stopped taking it one day cold turkey and I am finally back to feeling myself. Avoid at all cost!!”

Starry94 April 1, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “PLEASE research this drug extensively before beginning!! 26 year old female and have been suffering with severe depression since childhood. Have tried various types of medications for my depression over the years, and can honestly say, Effexor was by FAR and large the WORST antidepressant I've ever taken. The side-effects were horrible: severe headaches, nausea, dizziness, nightmares, waking up in pools of sweats, hit my lowest of lows, and had frequent suicidal thoughts. If I forgot to take my medicine within a couple hours of my dosage time, I couldn't function with work, chores, etc. Tapering off this drug very slowly was an absolute miserable experience. I'm someone that tries to find some good in even bad experiences, however, I have not a single positive thing to say about this drug. I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to feel a minute of the side-effects I did on this drug. If I could give a "0" rating for this drug, I would. Will never touch this medication another day of my life!”

Becky · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 25, 2021

For Depression: “Hideous poison. Was on 225mg for eight years. Sweating every night, neurological pain, twitching, shakes....withdrawal symptoms before I was even due my dose. Avoid at all costs. Am now on remeron and I can sleep and function.”

Alex · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2019

For Depression: “Reading reviews online WILL freak you out about this drug, and as someone who used it for panic disorder and extreme anxiety (as well as depression) these reviews on here DEFINITELY terrified me. First off, relax. Taking any new drug for the first time can be scary because your body's adjusting, but freaking out about any little symptom will only make your experience worse. Now on to my experience: The first couple weeks I experienced nausea and maybe a bit of sleeplessness? But nothing too crazy. Lost a bit of weight too as it suppressed my appetite. I really do believe this drug helped calm my nervous system enough so that I was able to function normally again, and so far after the first month I don't experience side effects at all. Don't be scared about all the wacky reviews, people can psych themselves out when influenced by others opinions.”

rjbz1 December 31, 2020

For Depression: “I'm on Effexore for Depression, Anxiety, ADHD. 1-4 Weeks The medication the first few weeks is going to make you excessively sleepy. It is just the nature of the beast. During the first few weeks ensure that you are taking the time to get a work out in a few times a week and supplement any lethargy with a bit of caffeine. Weeks 5-8 This is where the medication really starts to shine. If you are a male, this drug is ideal for you because it has a less likely chance of causing erectile dysfunction as it is a SRNI and not a SSRI. Your reaction to negative events, to include stressful situations, begins to dramatically change. Instead of having fast paced thoughts, you have a true sense of peace, less worry and a newfound sense of over all well-being. I highly recommend this medication if your SSRI is causing you ED, you suffer from anxiety, ADHD, OCD, or depression.”

Monday · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I know the reviews are scary, and hey this medication is not for everyone. Our bodies will all react differently, prior to effexor I took lexapro but it didn't help me whatsoever. The only thing it helped me with is yawning awkwardly every other minute. My dr. suggested Effexor and it completely helped me get out of the hole I was in, I was able to think clearly, feel joy, laugh, and really be present. My anxiety went down tremendously and this with the combination of therapy helped me lose 70lbs. I got off Effexor, and did it the healthy way, I did it Sloowly...and I was FINE! no crazy withdrawals. So yes people it's possible. To be on it and off of it, and still be okay, :)”

stargazer76 October 2, 2020

For Depression: “From my experience Effexor is a very effective treatment for depression and anxiety. I took it for 10 years at a dose of 150mg and felt great. I stopped 3 months ago and already depression is returning, so today I'm going back on! Yes the side effects can be grim but for me it was only when being late with dose or quitting. But overall I think its worth it for not having to suffer depression and anxiety everyday!”

Feeling Sane September 10, 2019

For Depression: “I was prescribed Venlafaxine for major depression and debilitating anxiety while going through a massive life crisis (business and relationship divorce and resulting bankruptcy) about three years ago. My depression was my own worse enemy as when I needed to be sharp and confident for attorneys, I was a sobbing mess. My anxiety was debilitating and turned into panic attacks. While I don't think I would have taken my life, I certainly wasn't afraid to die. The crisis is finally behind me, and I have tapered from 225mg to 37.5mg over the last 3 months. The only downsides were, for me, cognitive function, apathy, and poor memory. I was unable to orgasm on the 225 mg dosage. It is important to mention that I did not get through this with drugs alone. I had a strong network of friends, family, attorneys, and healthcare professionals. Do not be ashamed of your mental health crisis! Be honest with yourself and your friends and seek professional help!”

Kimeska February 24, 2020

For Depression: “WORST 48hrs of my entire life. First day I took it Effexor (dose 37.5mg) with my 300mg of Wellbutrin and I got to work and couldn’t even walk in a straight line. Went home and figured maybe I just shocked my system and slept it off. Next day I took the same dosage. First came the spaced out phase where I couldn’t remember where I was or what I was doing. The tremors? So violent that I couldn’t walk or talk or hold things. My husband came home to find me in the fetal position on the floor shaking violently. Let’s not forget hearing and seeing things that weren’t there. Another thing I noticed was that one second I was laughing then the next crying. It was so scary and I couldn’t stop it from happening. Stopped taking it. It’s been 2 days now and I still have tremors. Can’t eat. And the only thing that will stop the tremors is 1mg of Ativan. This drugs ruined my life in 48hrs. I will never recommend it to anyone. Worst 2 days of my life and it’s still going.”

The Listener June 23, 2019

For Depression: “Sure saved the quality of my life. I was not suicidal; I was more like the guy who didn't care if the plane crashed. I took Effexor for 8 years. After that time period it had been a long, long time since I had felt depressed, so I began to taper off. I think it probably took me a couple of months to get completely off. I have been off for 5 years. I learned a lot about clinical depression and how to treat it. If my depression ever returns I will not hesitate to go back to Effexor.”

Freebyrde · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2019

For Depression: “I would just like to point out that every single person is different and adjusts to these medications differently. I had 3 suicide attempts before accepting medication and was put on Effexor. Effexor changed my life, until it didn’t. For 2 years it helped me to function normally, I went back to work, the suicidal ideation ceased and I was able to manage my depression. After a long time though I felt numb and wanted to get off of it. No one ever warns you about coming off Effexor. There is a whole group on Facebook just for coming off it. The withdrawals are worse than any drug I know. I counted every day. It was 12 days of agony before I felt any sort of relief. It was pure, utter awfulness. But I look back and think of what Effexor did for me when I first started this medication, and it gave me my life back. So despite the horrible effects coming off this drug, it still helped me immensely.”

Mustang Jack · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2013

For Depression: “I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I.”

sleejoh January 28, 2008

For Depression: “I have been on effexor xr for about 8 years now, I currently am taking 300 mg per day, I tried to commit suicide several times before going on effexor, I had been on so many different antidepressants I thought this was how my life was always going to be my children slowly watching me sleep and then eventually die. The doctor put me on effexor and it was the best thing ever.”

Roolanda April 29, 2014

For Depression: “I had severe hellish, unrelentless depression and did not want to live, I started taking Effexor and it worked the same day. I never thought something could work so well. I have few side effects. My life changed 100%. I am so happy now that the doctor put me on this. People should not be afraid to try anti-depressants.”

lavendarles December 16, 2014

For Depression: “This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!”

Anonymous February 16, 2014

For Depression: “I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you.”

Charlie's girl November 3, 2011

For Depression: “My boyfriend passed away...very unexpectantly.We had a wonderful, beautiful relationship...I simply adored him and overnight he's gone. The next day my little brother had open heart surgery, my sister passed away last March after living and taking care of my father with dementia, my mother passed away after a 3 year long battle with cancer. I wanted to stay in bed all day curled up in the fetal position and pray that death would take me just so the pain would stop. But I didn't have that luxury...someone had to pay the bills. I hated to go out in public because I never knew what would trigger a crying jag...I had a true sense of hopelessness. 75 mgs of Effexor saved my life. I'm happy again and laughing and going out and celebrating my life.”

xyzpossum July 31, 2013

For Depression: “I have taken Effexor on and off for nearly ten years for depression and anxiety brought on by a sudden traumatic situation. It took a week or so for the side effects to disappear when I first started. I felt so well that I weaned myself off it which took at least a week with side effects. I have done this twice thinking I was very well and able to cope which I do when I take the medication. However, I have come to realize that I need to stay on it and my husband now understands that it keeps me well, happy and balanced. If I miss a tablet I feel quite nauseous and a bit unbalanced even though I only take 75mg once a day. I have come to realize that there a lot of people out there, including many high profile people who need Effexor.”

Jeronimo · Taken for 10 years or more September 28, 2020

For Depression: “Took 75 mg Effexor for 21 years. Dr said to come off and for 6 weeks I weaned off of this hard to quit drug. So now I stop taking it and 8 days later I'm still having the brain zaps. If you start taking it be prepared to experience a living nightmare if you want to quit. It did nothing to help me.”

Miss Tisay September 21, 2013

For Depression: “I am 46 yrs old and have taken Effexor since 2000. It helps me balance myself. It really works and it calms myself down and relax. But never miss it for a day or so it will give you dizziness or nausea. I would let the people out there know that Effexor is the best antidepressant. It makes me focus my life on everything. Thank you for saving my life Effexor.”

Anonymous April 19, 2008

For Depression: “I've been using 75mg Effexor for 9 weeks now and it has changed my life. I wake up looking forward to the day and can remain focused throughout. I woke up on my 30th Birthday feeling very depressed and could not believe that's how I felt everyday before taking Effexor. My libido is back to where it was a year ago and the only side effect I experience is an upset stomach during very intense work outs. I see a therapist and that too has helped. My wife says I'm now a different person.”

DFV July 28, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have many labels: depression, anxiety, tinnitus, chronic pain, insomnia, dissociation, anorexia ... 16 years ago. I was a single mother, and broke. All meds led to weight gain taking forever to lose. I realized "you can't medicate a crappy life away". I moved to the ocean, reconnected with nature and found a Trauma Psychologist. EMDR, and Exposure Therapy helped me manage symptoms. I was pharmaceutical free until a minor relapse and was prescribed Effexor (105 mg/day). In 2 months I stopped being active, social, had headaches, dry mouth, constipation, gained 20 pounds! I went off cold turkey, within a few days felt like myself again (minus weight gain depression). Now, a week off effexor, sleep better, eat less, returned to beach walks to increase dopamine. I hope that it's not going to take long to lose the weight. I'm more depressed and have lower self esteem when I lose touch with my body. This was my experience.”

Stable · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 22, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “After 10 years of Major depression and extreme anxiety- trying several different medication combos I was offered ECT, but I was hesitant. As a last resort we tried Effexor 150mg, Wellbutrin 150mg and Abilify 5mg. Within 3 months the anxiety and depression started to lift. 3 years later I have no anxiety or depression. I am stable and feel at peace. For past 6 months my dosage has been Venlor 37,5mg, Wellbutrin 150mg and Abilify 2.5mg. Over the next 6 months I will try and reduce further- but weaning off Effexor literally means reducing one little bead in the capsule per day otherwise withdrawal can be unpleasant. My only negative had been weight gain of 10kgs in 3 years, despite watching my diet and daily exercise. I am 58 years old and have always been slim, now I’m plump. I hope to lose the weight over time. Other side effects are dry mouth and constipation. But they are negligible if it means being happy.”

Birdlover65 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2018

For Depression: “I am amazed at all the comments that say, "this drug should be banned". Antidepressants of any kind work differently for different people. I tried Zoloft for a month, and in spite of the glowing reviews found it intolerable. I cried so much that I could barely leave the house. I had diarrhea constantly, (never have had diarrhea in my life). Switched to Effexor and felt like I had my life back again. Unbelievable change in my mood. Have been on tons of antidepressants for the last 40 years and so glad that something is working so far.”

Tattie Soup · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2013

For Depression: “I've been on this medication only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.”

Tepper August 2, 2014

For Depression: “As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2019

For Depression: “I've been on Effexor XR 37.5mg for 2 weeks now for anxiety and depression and am seeing good results already. Generally my mood is never stable, this medication has started to even everything out and I go through my days feeling content. My anxiety is subsiding and my mood and energy levels have increased. I find myself having tons of energy at times and not knowing what to do with myself, I am hoping that will even its self out. My first week of Effexor I had extreme fatigue and irritability that was difficult to deal with. So far my experience has been good and I am very hopeful. A lot of people go online to complain about their bad experiences, don't let that scare you away, everyone works differently.”

may2013 May 18, 2013

For Depression: “I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better.”