User Reviews for Effexor

Postpartum Depression 2.5
Summary of Effexor reviews 5.6 374 reviews

Reviews for Effexor

DFV July 28, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have many labels: depression, anxiety, tinnitus, chronic pain, insomnia, dissociation, anorexia ... 16 years ago. I was a single mother, and broke. All meds led to weight gain taking forever to lose. I realized "you can't medicate a crappy life away". I moved to the ocean, reconnected with nature and found a Trauma Psychologist. EMDR, and Exposure Therapy helped me manage symptoms. I was pharmaceutical free until a minor relapse and was prescribed Effexor (105 mg/day). In 2 months I stopped being active, social, had headaches, dry mouth, constipation, gained 20 pounds! I went off cold turkey, within a few days felt like myself again (minus weight gain depression). Now, a week off effexor, sleep better, eat less, returned to beach walks to increase dopamine. I hope that it's not going to take long to lose the weight. I'm more depressed and have lower self esteem when I lose touch with my body. This was my experience.”

Map · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2020

“Awful experience. Only took it for 6 days after GP prescribed it for nerve pain. Massive continuous headaches, vision affected, couldn't focus my burning eyes. Constant nausea and dizziness. Sense of taste affected. Very difficult to think coherently. Made me miserable with pain and new symptoms. Avoid at all costs. It took weeks for the side effects to subside, vision improved, but not as good as before taking to this medication.”

Lela · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Effexor has got to be the worst of the worst to try to come off of. I am still trying to come off this completely after taking 225mg daily for 3 years I still cannot get threw the withdrawal symptoms they are horrific if any one has any suggestions how to help please let me know”

Alma · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I am on 150 mg daily of effexor and have no apparent side effects. Started on 37.5 mg, then went to 75 mg, then 150 mg without major complications. My depression has decreased. I feel like a normal person again since I was having a really debilitating episode that didn't get better with other antidepressants. Currently, this is the only medication I am taking. I have been on it for two months and it also eased a lot of my PMS symptoms which used to get quite severe mood-wise. However, PMS/PDD wasn't what it was prescribed for and haven't heard anyone else's experiences regarding this issue.”

Kimeska February 24, 2020

For Depression: “WORST 48hrs of my entire life. First day I took it Effexor (dose 37.5mg) with my 300mg of Wellbutrin and I got to work and couldn’t even walk in a straight line. Went home and figured maybe I just shocked my system and slept it off. Next day I took the same dosage. First came the spaced out phase where I couldn’t remember where I was or what I was doing. The tremors? So violent that I couldn’t walk or talk or hold things. My husband came home to find me in the fetal position on the floor shaking violently. Let’s not forget hearing and seeing things that weren’t there. Another thing I noticed was that one second I was laughing then the next crying. It was so scary and I couldn’t stop it from happening. Stopped taking it. It’s been 2 days now and I still have tremors. Can’t eat. And the only thing that will stop the tremors is 1mg of Ativan. This drugs ruined my life in 48hrs. I will never recommend it to anyone. Worst 2 days of my life and it’s still going.”

Anonymous February 19, 2020

“I was prescribed Effexor to treat mood swings from extreme PMDD (Premenstrual dysphoric disorder). This drug worked to control the mood swings but slowly ruined my life as my doctor increased my dosages over the span of a year and a half. I became so apathetic and uninterested in everything in my life, I lost friendships. I gave up almost all activity, stopped walking my dog due to my low energy, and the worst was not caring about my finances anymore, which I used to be super diligent about. I lost my car after I got behind on the payments, and I almost didn't care. Previous to Effexor I had my life together 10/10. I never suffered from depression before, just had debilitating mood swings due to hormone imbalance. I went cold turkey off my 150mg dose. The withdrawals were HORRIBLE, but well worth it. Its been 6 weeks since I've been off Effexor and I am feeling like my old self again. This medication, if not prescribed appropriately, can have devastating effects.”

Drugs January 17, 2020

For Depression: “I've been on Effexor for 3 or 4 months. So far I've noticed things are more pleasurable and I have a tiny bit more energy. Still have depressed days though. As for the anxiety... still there, and hasn't improved much. Panic attacks aren't as frequent or intense. But still get them. My anxiety is so bad it's to the point I can barely leave the house unless I really have to. If you're on this drug, you're going to want to stay on it and make sure you don't skip doses. I get major withdrawal symptoms like extreme dizziness, headaches. Make sure you ween off it. Overall, still depressed and definitely still anxious. The effects of relief are mild and sometimes hard to notice. I still rate it a 7 because if it has helped anything it's the panic attacks which are easily the worst mental experience you can go through aside from being tortured to death. It's very tormentuous. But because Effexor hasn't relieved much else, I'd consider trying something new.”

alge2060 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2020

For Depression: “I was diagnosed with depression and GAD about 5 years ago and started Effexor. It worked well but anytime I drank alcohol I become a monster. I became violent and angry. I also lost the ability to sleep so I had to go on another medication for insomnia. Over time I realized I had become numb. I couldn't cry, feel any emotions and I lost the ability to enjoy anything. My panic attacks became debilitating. I became fearful to leave the house, drive etc. I ended up in the hospital and I was immediately taken off Effexor because i was diagnosed with panic disorder and it was not helping at all. I was at the highest dose and eventually came off. I'm still experiencing brain zaps from tapering off but since coming off I can feel again and cry a lot LOL. I started Zoloft today and am hoping to get my depression & panic disorder under control!”

Marie · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I am delighted with result of venlafaxine. I had a breakdown and visited my GP in desperation due to panic attacks, depression, crippling anxiety, heavy drinking and an addiction to codeine. The side effects were initially a bit uncomfortable but they have settled. I am lacking motivation but I have only been on it for 2 weeks and I figure I need some time to recover from my breakdown so I’m just going with it for now. It has made me feel so much calmer, it has stopped me drinking and taking codeine which I was using to self medicate. This medication has saved my life. I’ve given it a 9 as my libido is suffering.”

violet · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 16, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I've had depression for 20 years (both chronic/moderate, and 3 previous severe episodes). Tried every class of psych med (30 total), SSRIs all made me sleepy, numb, apathetic. I take Lamictal (150mg), Effexor (75mg) and Ritalin (30mg) which is the best medicine combo for my depression. Pros: Effexor demolishes anxiety and severe episodes (crying spells, suicidal thoughts). Less sedating (compared to SSRIs). I feel calm, no insomnia. Cons: Excessive sweating (at higher doses), some lethargy, and dry eye. ****Do not go cold turkey, ask for the "Prozac Taper" to avoid the shock of withdrawals*** No drug is a cure-all. Effexor does not cause weight gain or increased appetite (for me) It's prevented severe episodes and I'll stay on it for life, unless something better comes out.”

Monday · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I know the reviews are scary, and hey this medication is not for everyone. Our bodies will all react differently, prior to effexor I took lexapro but it didn't help me whatsoever. The only thing it helped me with is yawning awkwardly every other minute. My dr. suggested Effexor and it completely helped me get out of the hole I was in, I was able to think clearly, feel joy, laugh, and really be present. My anxiety went down tremendously and this with the combination of therapy helped me lose 70lbs. I got off Effexor, and did it the healthy way, I did it Sloowly...and I was FINE! no crazy withdrawals. So yes people it's possible. To be on it and off of it, and still be okay, :)”

Ace · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 19, 2019

“This drug literally gave me my life back. I was at the lowest point ever. I barely made it to work, the thoughts of everyday activities such as showering and cooking made me extremely anxious. I was sick to my stomach most days and was unable to sleep well due to waking up through the night with my heart racing in a full blown panic attack. Currently taking 150mg daily and my energy level is back to normal and I am able to function as a normal human being. So thankful!”

Alex · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2019

For Depression: “Reading reviews online WILL freak you out about this drug, and as someone who used it for panic disorder and extreme anxiety (as well as depression) these reviews on here DEFINITELY terrified me. First off, relax. Taking any new drug for the first time can be scary because your body's adjusting, but freaking out about any little symptom will only make your experience worse. Now on to my experience: The first couple weeks I experienced nausea and maybe a bit of sleeplessness? But nothing too crazy. Lost a bit of weight too as it suppressed my appetite. I really do believe this drug helped calm my nervous system enough so that I was able to function normally again, and so far after the first month I don't experience side effects at all. Don't be scared about all the wacky reviews, people can psych themselves out when influenced by others opinions.”

B October 25, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Started this medication Effexor in combination with therapy for major depressive disorder, anxiety, and borderline personality disorder. I worked up to 150 mg from 37.5mg. It has helped me immensely. I’m less irritable, I have energy again, stopped sleeping 14 hours a day, anxiety is better, and I feel happier than I have in a long time. I have forgotten to take it for a day and didn’t notice any symptoms at that point. I had a bit of a headache and maybe some nausea at first and with dosage increase but it was mild and went away after a day or so.”

Flo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2019

For Depression: “I wish I could have checked this medication prior to taking it. Unfortunately I was in a behavioral facility and had no access to the internet. The side effects are terrible From extremely dry mouth to being overly tired. I’m tapering off right now and hope I don’t have difficulties with that. Goodbye Effexor and good riddance.”

Anonymous September 20, 2019

For Depression: “I was on apparently the lowest dose of 37.5mg for anxiety and I had the worst experience of my life. I had severe gut pains everyday and felt hypoglycaemic all the time. I thought my liver was going to give out it hurt so much. I was not myself. I was more anxious and depressed on the meds than I was off them. I couldn’t take it anymore and took myself off. Quitting cold turkey probably wasn't the best idea but make sure you go to your doctor to get tapered off properly first to avoid major withdrawal symptoms. I do not recommend this medication it’s not worth the risk.”

Momo · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

For Depression: “I was only on this for a few days and had severe panic attacks, will never take a SNRI again!”

Feeling Sane September 10, 2019

For Depression: “I was prescribed Venlafaxine for major depression and debilitating anxiety while going through a massive life crisis (business and relationship divorce and resulting bankruptcy) about three years ago. My depression was my own worse enemy as when I needed to be sharp and confident for attorneys, I was a sobbing mess. My anxiety was debilitating and turned into panic attacks. While I don't think I would have taken my life, I certainly wasn't afraid to die. The crisis is finally behind me, and I have tapered from 225mg to 37.5mg over the last 3 months. The only downsides were, for me, cognitive function, apathy, and poor memory. I was unable to orgasm on the 225 mg dosage. It is important to mention that I did not get through this with drugs alone. I had a strong network of friends, family, attorneys, and healthcare professionals. Do not be ashamed of your mental health crisis! Be honest with yourself and your friends and seek professional help!”

Freebyrde · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2019

For Depression: “I would just like to point out that every single person is different and adjusts to these medications differently. I had 3 suicide attempts before accepting medication and was put on Effexor. Effexor changed my life, until it didn’t. For 2 years it helped me to function normally, I went back to work, the suicidal ideation ceased and I was able to manage my depression. After a long time though I felt numb and wanted to get off of it. No one ever warns you about coming off Effexor. There is a whole group on Facebook just for coming off it. The withdrawals are worse than any drug I know. I counted every day. It was 12 days of agony before I felt any sort of relief. It was pure, utter awfulness. But I look back and think of what Effexor did for me when I first started this medication, and it gave me my life back. So despite the horrible effects coming off this drug, it still helped me immensely.”

BetterDays · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 3, 2019

For Depression: “I have been on 300mg for the past 5 years, I cannot handle the withdrawal symptoms as the feeling of being completely disconnected from reality is too intense let alone the nausea etc. I'm 25 and worry that this will eventually do irreversible damage. The side effects are not worth it for me but again, I cannot stop taking it even though I want to”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2019

For Depression: “You better make damn sure your diagnosis is correct because if you are manic depressive instead of plain old depressed this medication could cause huge disruptions in normal life which it did to me ...twice.”

Greg August 10, 2019

For Depression: “It ruined my life. Was on it for 13 years and tapered off it March 2018. Everyday intense cognitive problems, intense headaches and stomach problems. Even if I missed a dose I felt incredibly sick. I am disabled because if it. I'm 29.”

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

For Depression: “This was the worst of of all medications i have tried for anxiety and depression. This antidepressant made me more depressed than I have ever been in my life and made me suicidal. I tried it for 6 weeks and now am in process of weaning off this dirty drug. Poison.”

Anonymous July 17, 2019

For Depression: “I have finally had the courage to go through withdrawal symptom, agitation. Headaches, nausea, electric shock in my head. I am free of this drug and for the first time in years I feel like a human being. I am not alert, and feel a range of emotions. I was feeling nothing, numb for many years. This drug should be taken with great caution. I feel it is dangerous.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

For Depression: “I have been on effexor CE 37.5mg for a month now. I was feeling better up until a few days ago, so I went and seen my Dr., so she upped my medication to 75 mg . So ever since she upped my dosage I've been having severe headache, neck pain, nausea, feeling like my depression is getting worse, no motivation, crying spells throughout the day. So I'm going to give it a few more day's and if I'm still feeling the same, I'm asking to get tapered off of it. I just don't feel like myself, I just feel depressed all over again before I started it. I'm scared to get tapered off tho because of the withdrawal symptoms I've been hearing.”