User Reviews for Effexor

Major Depressive Disorder
5.6

Summary of Effexor reviews 6.1 345 reviews

Reviews for Effexor

For Major Depressive Disorder "About 15 years ago I started menopause had terrible anxiety and depression. Tried talk therapy did not work. Tried several antidepressants, until Effexor. I started out with 37.5 than upped to 75mg, then eventunally upped to 225mg. I have been on that dose ever since. It has been a life saver. Anxiety and depression no more. I do have some side affects. I do get heated quite easily, I have had vomiting on occasion, nausea. I have thought about getting off the effexor until I heard about the withdrawals. Most antidepressants are addicting and have withdrawals. I am going to talk to my doctor about a change since I have been on this medication for so long. But otherwise it has been a miracle worker"

pm (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2019

For Depression "I've been on Effexor XR 37.5mg for 2 weeks now for anxiety and depression and am seeing good results already. Generally my mood is never stable, this medication has started to even everything out and I go through my days feeling content. My anxiety is subsiding and my mood and energy levels have increased. I find myself having tons of energy at times and not knowing what to do with myself, I am hoping that will even its self out. My first week of Effexor I had extreme fatigue and irritability that was difficult to deal with. So far my experience has been good and I am very hopeful. A lot of people go online to complain about their bad experiences, don't let that scare you away, everyone works differently."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For Depression "I started taking Effexor about 2 years ago now. At first a started at the lowest dose and found it did nearly nothing for me. However over time as we slowly increased it I found my depression did majorly decrease. I had been unable to get out of bed, had suicidal thoughts, no interest in relationships before beginning the drug. After about 6 months I found I was managing my depression much better. However it is still a daily fight. I also found I have a huge drop in sex drive due to the medication."

Em January 7, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on effexor for 15 years. 6 months ago the hospital put it up to 375mg. Now it seem's that dose is no longer working for me. I also feel afraid to change drugs after being on it for so long."

Racky (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2018

For Depression "My experience with this drug was horrific. At 150mg I hit a new low, I was impulsive, severely anxious and constantly in tears. I was so desperate to be off this med I went cold turkey. Huge mistake. Developed discontinuation syndrome. Fever, tremors, panic attacks, vertigo, hives, flu-like symptoms, night terrors, constant vomiting. Got to the point I couldn’t even keep down water. By day 6 I was hospitalized with severe dehydration and exhaustion. Was immediately hooked up to an IV to replace fluids and given anti-sickness meds. Doctors introduced a lower dose and am now tapering. Down to 18 mg so nearly there. Have to take it slowly as I’m extremely sensitive to this medication. Another 2 weeks and I will be free of it. Can't wait to have my life back!"

Sazzlemo (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2018

For Depression "Had one dose of 37.5 mg and had nausea, shaking, chills, what felt like ice water through my veins. It's been 4 days and have yet to recover and have two panic attacks a day versus when I never had any before. I switched back to Zoloft yesterday, hopefully I will be better in the weeks to come."

Anon October 28, 2018

For Depression "I was prescribed Effexor 75 mg two years back and subsequently I decided to taper off once in a while. It helps a lot to be focused but the side effect for me were sleepless night and nausea. I am going back on it again. I felt without it I am spiralling down the dark tunnel."

Sweetasheaven (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2018

For Depression "Effexor has totally numbed my feelings. Am sad but can't express feelings anymore..."

TomTom (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 18, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Psychiatrist started me at 37.5mg going up to 150mg. Was on that dose for 2 months with no positive effect but a muscle ache which my psych didn't think was the drug (but it turned out to be the drug causing it). He made me go up to a 375mg dose over the next month (despite feeling worse with every increase) which made my muscle ache unbearable. Couldn't get out of bed due to pain, desperately wanted to sleep to get away from it. Tapered down and by 75mg had no muscle ache whatsoever but suffered horrible nausea, brain zaps and shakiness from withdrawal that I am still feeling very strongly after being completely off the drug for 1 and a half weeks. My brain feels like mud. In future, if I think a drug is causing bad side effects over 2 months in I am going to go off it because of this terrible experience. My depression is significantly worse than it was before I started Effexor."

Jeff October 11, 2018

For Depression "I took Effexor 150mg. I had the usual sexual side effects associated with antidepressants. Tapered off under my Doctors guidance. My sex drive never returned and that was almost 13 years ago. It basically turned me A-sexual or chemically castrated me."

Ruined4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2018

For Depression "I was given a dosage of 75 mg for as month then up to 150 mg. It has been the worst experience I've had with any medication. After 10 weeks my new psychologist has started weaning me off. It will take 4 months in order to avoid the worse effects. Anxiety, suicidal thoughts , headaches, stomach problems.... just a few of my side effects."

Fed up (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

For Depression "I was prescribed 75 mg Effexor for my depression. Took the medication for only four days and had to stop it, as my depression deepened. I went into rolling panic attacks. I did not get an hour of sleep for four days, despite feeling completely exhausted. The world made no sense. Life made no sense. I couldn't stand my head and the thoughts in it. It is not true that the drug can cause increased suicidal thoughts only in young people. People should be very careful with this drug!"

Acer (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor has destroyed my life. Its gave me PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) It basically chemically castrated me. I experienced the sexual side effects while on the med. Stopped meds under Dr. advice. Sex drive never returned and its been 13 years. This is purely the worst drug that has the potential to destroy a persons life forever. STAY AWAY DONT RISK THE POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS THAT WILL LAST FOREVER WITH NO CURE"

PSSDForum (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2018

For Depression "Effexor changed my way of life completely. I couldn’t get out of bed to do minor house work. I can actually get things done now. I feel happy again, like I used to be. I want to make plans with friends now. I am just a nicer person. My panic attacks have stopped. I am pleasant to my spouse and children now. I feel I am in control of my life again."

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Depression "I took 37.5 mg for about four days. After reading the reviews I immediately stopped this drug not wanting to risk the bad side effects. It had been over a day off it and I cannot orgasm and I feel absolutely nothing."

Luna (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018

For Depression "I used to take effexor, started with 37 mg dose ended with 150 mg dose, terrible experience. When you stop it - please stop it gradually as possible!! I stopped it and I enjoy perfect health again!! George"

kissonerga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Horrible experience that I feel left me permanently damaged. Prescribed 37mg for panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder. Every symptom it was intended to treat got worse. I got so drowsy that I fell asleep through a 12 hour work shift as a caregiver, client had a fall and I did not wake up. I could not open my eyes no matter how badly I tried. Detoxing was worse. Unbearable body aches that made me more depressed than I’d ever been because nothing relieved it. The brain zaps made me breakdown into a full panic attack crying every time because they were so painful and agitating. I’m 3 weeks off of it and having bizarre behaviors that I NEVER had before, even in my worst depression. I’ve had to give up my car keys due to bad impulses when driving suddenly with no warning and for no reason, I am unable to work because of my mental state that is NOT going back to baseline with time."

Jess (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2018

"After trying 4 or 5 different medicines for anxiety, finally effexor 75mg three a day changed my life. I live a normal life at work which is fantastic."

George L (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor at the beginning then to 75 mg, then up to 150 mg. At that time I started having nausea. My dose was raised up to 225 mg, and there it got real bad. Strong nausea, vomit, brain zaps, anxiety so strong I could rip off my skin with my hands, stomach problems. I wasn't suicidal for a good time, until now. I thought my harsh past was the worst time of my life no. This so much worse. I was not able to see my psychiatrist so I had to deal with it alone, I lowered the dose, but I still had all these effects. Right now it's a day I'm off. I'm feeling brain zaps, fever feeling, can't do hard work, can't walk fast, difficulty eating and digesting, and anxiety. I've read some people responded well to this antidepressant, but if you are about to start taking this, don't. You either take it and it works OR it will bring you down, it's not worth it. Stay away from this, please."

anon23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

For Depression "I really want to mention that this drug is intended to be started at its lowest dosage, 37.5mg once a day for a minimum of 2 weeks. Do not break in half or chew it if it is the extended release. You can open it and sprinkle it on food. Posts herein show patients have been placed on higher doses to start. That may be the reason why it's not worked for some. The body needs time to acclimate. Dosages increase by 37.5mg after 2-3 weeks to a therapeutic range which is 150mg. For some, effects have taken place at lower doses therefore that would YOUR therapeutic range. I'm on 37.5mg once a day for 2 weeks with minimal side effects. Will continue to increase the dosage by 37.5mg once a day until I reach my therapeutic range. Effexor is NOT recommended for teenagers and below b/c the side effects are quite severe, maybe b/c of the developing brain. This is the reason this drug is no longer marketed. It's still prescribed b/c full adults seem to do better on it."

BlueRooster (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Depression "I dreaded taking effexor. It put me into a darker mood, outlook was foggy, nausea, headache, loss of libido, incapacitating loss of motivation and extreme/intolerable drowsiness. I was in an important meeting with engineers and I couldn't keep my eyes open no matter how desperately hard I tried. For me, there was no upside to the medication. It was an entirely negative experience. Had to discontinue and will never take it again. Yikes!"

N2H4 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

For Depression "I am amazed at all the comments that say, "this drug should be banned". Antidepressants of any kind work differently for different people. I tried Zoloft for a month, and in spite of the glowing reviews found it intolerable. I cried so much that I could barely leave the house. I had diarrhea constantly, (never have had diarrhea in my life). Switched to Effexor and felt like I had my life back again. Unbelievable change in my mood. Have been on tons of antidepressants for the last 40 years and so glad that something is working so far."

Birdlover65 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

For Depression "I was put on Effexor 75mg for the first week, then 150mg after that. It made my depression worse, I felt worse than I had in years, and almost cost me my job. I slept for almost 20 hours a day, was dizzy, and overall felt like a zombie. I had to quit after less than two weeks the side effects were so severe. This drug is nicknamed "SideEffexor" for a reason."

Emily (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Depression "Started taking effexor for about 1 week now at 75mg per day (37.5 mg in the morning and 37.5 mg after dinner) after a terrible experience with cymbalta. The first few days I had nausea and tired beyond belief and excessive yawning. The nausea has gotten better but the tiredness continues and the yawning as well. Also am getting headaches every now and then though they are not too bad. My mood has lifted a little I believe. Also I was on wellbutrin xl for years and though it helped a little bit in the beginning and then it stopped working. I am hoping this one works."

Anon (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Within the first week of trying Effexor, I noticed it made me go to the bathroom excessively and I lost all of my sexual sensation. I did stay on it for another month+ to see if these symptoms would level out with time. They did not. So after 8 weeks, I am back to the drawing board to see if something else can work better."

Diane457 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018