User Reviews for Effexor

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

"I suffer from severe anxiety & mild depression. I had no idea how this was ruining my life. I was so nervous to try medication but finally got the point that I was desperate. Tried Zoloft, Wellbutrin & Celexia. Felt awful or had such strong side effects that I couldn't continue them. Finally tried effexor at 37.5mg for 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks were absolute hell. So sick & emotions were all over the place. I was about to give up on it but my doctor suggested 75mg. Wow! What a difference. Still have the side effects (nausea, constipation, some dizziness, loss of appetite, brain fog) but hoping those go away as I'm only on week 3 now at new dosage. Mentally I'm already feeling better! Not sure how much for my anxiety but definitely for depression"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent medication for my Panic disorder. You need to take it for 2 weeks before feeling any improvement, no real side effects, yawning and tiredness mainly."

Sorcia November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Effexor for the first and last time yesterday around 7:41 am . At first I couldn't feel my arms or face and then it felt like fire works were going off in my head . I yawned all day long and each time I did I felt like my own tongue was gagging me . The worst of it was around 3:45 am I woke up shaking uncontrollably falling over couldn't see straight it felt like I was being electrocuted it was to the point I either wanted to be knocked out or die . My husband found me shaking and rocking back and forth in our living room floor . This drug for me personally was horrific ."

Brit91 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've struggled with GAD since my late teens which worsened following a tragic and untimely death in the family..which also lead to PTSD I tried numerous anti depressants but most of them slowed me down I didn't want this. So many years ago maybe 12 years ago I was prescribed effexor since then my dose has gone up and down I'm now on 225mg daily I was able to come off them cold turkey for 3 pregnancies I can only suggest early pregnancy hormones took over as withdrawal effects were minimal. But in general withdrawal effects are horrendous if I miss a day or 2 as I've failed to collect them on time I have an upset stomach...sweating and termors...nightmares, feelings of terror, luckily they work fast! I'm a fan they help & make me feel normal"

Gemini81 (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used this drug for around 5 years now. I am ultra-sensitive to medication, so when I am stable (I am bipolar) I go down to 112.5mg and when depressed I go to 150mg. At these doses, I still get the side effects. And QUICK withdrawal if I miss my morning dose... ie by lunch time, I am nauseous and getting brain-shocks. Having been on some other types of antidepressants, I prefer this one as I have energy (despite drowsiness being a side-effect). I would not change my anti-depressant again."

NikNakNoNo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Effexor has been good for my work life, it has given me energy to get things done, and to not stress as much about anything, including social interactions. It sort of numbs my emotions which has been good because I usually cry easily, and get easily bitter. I don't get overIy happy tho. I also like how I don't feel like I'm on a drug, my mind isn't cloudy. I have trouble when it comes to working on projects at home, projects I used to work on so easily now stress me out just thinking about the process of it all. I have an unusually strong urge to bite my nails, crazy dreams (which is fine), lethargic. Appetite fine except when changing my dose."

Kae333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well where do I start? Middle aged mom of three and wife and a year ago it all went down hill. So I go to my doctor explain things and how I'm feeling and she prescribed me this medicine to me at 75mg a day then upped it to 150mg. The first few days I was so ill and sleepy I was passing out in the middle of sentences (eyes rolling back and body tremors) so I tried it for 6 months it really affected being able to orgasm which I didn't know it would do? So I started to ween myself off without doctors consent because its clearly NOT working to control my anxiety my mood swings or bringing a balance to my ADD/OCD. The nausea is horrible, the dreams are HORRIFIC I attacked my husband in my sleep and he had to pin me down. Don't take this medicine!"

L's Sunshine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a woman nearing 40 who has dealt with a handful of health issues; Degenerative joint disease in both TMJ joints (20+ years), chronic migraines (20+ years), depression (20 years), and High blood pressure (6 years). I have been taking 250mg of Effexor for MANY years. Due to chronic pain my doc increased my dose to 300mg in spring. Since then my life has fallen to pieces. I have such terrible nightmares both at night and when I nap that I wake my entire 2 storey house. I have cold sweats and need to be woke up. I am usually in tears because as soon as I close my eyes I am right back in the nightmare. This goes on night after night. I am in a VICIOUS and scary cycle."

Screaming for help (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took effexor for almost 7 years, the worst years of my life. I was angry and furious all the time, my anxiety was horrible and I cannot say it helps with the depression. I realised that effexor change my pesonality when I stop to take it and some how I was back to normal, except that my memory was very poor. To avoid the withdrawal my family doctor put my on cipralex, which give me palpitations, and after Zoloft that did nothing to me, remeron which worked for 3 months (helped me enormous with my insomnia) and after no more benefits and 10 kg more, water retention , I tried for 1 week Prozac and I woke up in a full panic attack at 4 o clock in the morning, horrible. Now I am taking only clonazepam as needed 0.5mg and is working like a charm"

Lilly from Montreal (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Left me with Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.. a year and a half passed by without significant improvement. I had been using 75 mg for less than a year. I recommend you to never take a SSRI."

Jean-Raphael (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Effexor for awhile now I would guess three years. I don't know if it works or not, to be honest. The passed few years have not been normal by any means. I had a lower back fusion in 2009 but bounced back fast and continued my life. Missed a year though of baseball. Then while playing I broke my neck, yes my neck. That ended up also getting fused. My ill advised comeback resulted in three shoulder surgeries and a broken arm. I didn't handle my dreams of being crushed well. Super depressed that I was no longer an athlete. I have bad bad pain every day. I am married with two little kids and I became anxious every morning not knowing if I could play with my kids or not. still have bad anxiety and moderate depression."

IPlayed1BaseUW July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication worked for me for a few years for my anxiety, but eventually made me feel worse. When my new doctor recommended tapering me off I had 2 weeks of pure hell. I was fortunate enough not to experience the brain zaps others experienced, but I had diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, terrible migraines, dizziness, couldn't eat, nausea, non stop crying...the list goes on. I was a mess for 2 weeks straight and could barely work. I do not recommend starting this unless you plan to be on it for life. The withdrawal symptoms were not worth it, please try something else. This drug should not be on the market!!"

Andilynn303 July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So this drug really helped with my depression but it also has some bad side effects. Please please please never skip a dose of this stuff. You will feel like absolute trash. As long as I take it every 24 hours it works perfectly for both my anxiety and depression but if I miss a dose, the side effects are awful. My whole body feels like white noise, my limbs buzz, I'm dizzy and nauseous, and can barely concentrate. Also, I don't know everyone else's experience with the medicine, but I used to be on the 150 mg dose and let me tell you. I couldn't orgasm no matter how much I wanted to and it sucked. I know it was the medicines fault cause when I lowered my dose to 75 mg I could orgasm again. The medicine ridiculously lowers my libido."

Sara726289 June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never had depression in my life. Then I went through a major depression episode 2 years ago. I tried 7 different antidepressants none worked some made me even worse my doctor decided efexor I was very reluctant after reading horror stories about coming off of Efexor well I'm happy to say it worked for year-and-a-half, it had made me better within two weeks of taking it however I started to experience depression while taking it I decided to wean myself off and had no problems coming off of it. I did it slowly and it's been a month with no side effects of coming off this drug saved me from the deep dark hell of depression. Every drug is different from everybody this drug work for me I only took it for a year-and-a-half 37.5 mg."

Trisha65 June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It Varies with me. At first it was good and helped me kick a 30 year weed habit. But now I feel less motivated and not as functional as when I smoked weed for the same symptoms. Weed worked. And had no side effects."

Jdm1126 May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a female senior and started taking this drug about 8 months ago, so far it works well for the depression at 150mg. I missed taking the drug for 2 days and as a result I had terrible symptoms when I went to bed, my muscles felt like they were tensed and shaking, could not go to sleep but must have at some point and had terrible dreams, now I feel quite ill, stomach upset, gut upset, sweating, horrible. Had to take some pepto bismol tabs to try to settle my stomach. Took my pill at lunch today, waiting to see if I start to feel better. Surely there must be a drug that can do the same job without the necessity to take it with food and won't send you body into a tizzy if you miss a dose or 2."

brownie1951 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Stats: 26 year old. Female. 110lbs. Struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. I started Effexor 2 months ago when my panic attacks and anxiety got out of control and I tried to overdose on pain medication. I am extremely against drugs and it took a lot of convincing on my doctors end to get me on them. I read reviews and got scared away. I wish I hadn't. I started off with a 37.5 dosage. My initial side effect was losing weight/ my fever appetite. I'm a petite girl but I love to eat. I supplemented this by drinking protein shakes and started working out. I am back to my normal weight now. A month later went up to 75mg. Absolutely no side effects. Anxiety is much better and no more panic attacks. Also, my sex life wasn't effected at all."

Toronto girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started effexor 75 in Oct start feeling fantastic beside dry mouth and a bit of nausea. Doctor up it to 150mg in November. I felt like a whole different person I got my life back but due to some side effects of the drug causing constipation and facial twitching in my lower lip and body jolts doctor tried to ween me off 150 mg taking one pill every second day it was too fast to soon. Wow just as well if I had done it cold turkey. Brain zaps, crying, feeling lost in my own body. Scared tremors. It has been almost 2 weeks with no effexor and I have got vertigo, felt like I was going to die. Today I started taking 150mg again today and already feel a difference. This could be my drug huge difference in mood ,zapping gone and dry mouth is back I can live with that ."

Hello from the other side March 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am so very thankful for this medication. It has allowed me to get a handle back on my life. I have panic attack disorder, separation anxiety, depression, and generalized anxiety. I was prescribed the Effexor for my depression. I was so depressed that I wouldn't leave bed, I'd have crying fits daily, everything would upset me, and I had suicidal thoughts. I take 150mg daily, as well as some other medications, and I can honestly say I am a huge fan. I haven't had any side effects, I don't go through withdraw if I don't take it the same time daily, it doesn't cause any serious problems. My only advice is to take it with food, like most medications. Although this drug works for me, it might not work for everyone."

ep1268x March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm at 225mg. There may, or there may not, be leg side effects. It can create -- or increase -- muscle rigidity. A massage will painful to the point of bliss -- the pain feels soooo good. But, if you start to get spasms WHEN YOU LIE DOWN they will be a whole different kind of pain! So strong they have now torn two tendens in my left leg the last 2 years. Effexor? In hospital they gave me my dose in the early morning and I had no spasms at night. But they also gave me morphine, oxy, and valium. NICE!!! At home, night dose > night spasms! Dose in afternoon > very few spasms. Love to hear from others!"

SitaKat March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Effexor 37.5mg once daily since September 2006 mainly to relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Depression. Effexor has worked great for both. I tried to get myself off of Effexor a few years ago & took St. John's Wort instead. I was lucky not to have any withdrawal symptoms. However, the depression returned, which I couldn't handle and returned to Effexor. I did wean myself off it and had no withdrawal symptoms. Experts say if you get off it, have to return to it, it may not work again. That didn't happen with me. I just found that Effexor raised my blood pressure & cholesterol. I have to decide whether to stay on it and be sane & preserve my kidneys, or stop it & get depressed AGAIN. Conundrum."

GinaGirl (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed 37.5 mg to me. I took one at 3:00p.m. and by 7:00p.m. I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. I actually was able to fall asleep but woke up several times during the night with horrible nausea, shaking, anxiety, weird dreams, and the a lot of gas! Thank goodness I had Zofran for nausea or I would have thrown up. I also had to take an Ativan for the anxiety and Imodium for diarrhea. It's now 5:00p.m. the next day and I'm just now feeling better. I know others who use Effexor and love it so it does work for some....just not for me. I called the doc and she quickly switched me to something else."

Peteywheat February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tapered off generic citalopram 40mg after 12 years just didn't work anymore then tried Effexor after reading great reviews. I took 75mg a day and into the 3rd week I had severe pounding migraines pressure behind my eyes nausea dizziness/brain zaps that were constant crying fits insomnia but vivid active dreams when I did sleep, body chills, leg twitches and severe terrible neck soreness. All these symptoms were happening at the same time and few times had hard pounding fast heart beats that I almost called 911. I think it may have been moderate serotonin toxicity. If you start this med start at the lowest possible dose. It shocks your body. Doc wants me to try Prozac but will talk to my psychiatrist first. Bad withdrawal symptoms too"

Aurelius81 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is absolutely horrible. I was prescribed Effexor 75mg twice a day. After lunch day ONE I take my first dose. Needless to say the intense vomiting, pins and needles up my spine into the back of my head and fire burning sensation in my spine, blurred vision, severe tremors, seeing colors and spots all over the place, my eyes starting rolling to the back of my head, passing out. Almost landed me in the ER. Called my doctor and got switched off immediately. That was by far the worst medication I have ever taken. I have been on Celexa 40mg until it stopped working and now I am on Prozac. I clearly can't handle an SNRI like that. I felt like I was going to die. Be highly cautious. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

CatieL February 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 33 yr old woman with Anxiety, irritabilty, ocd . I have been on many different medications since i was 18. My new doctor finally sent me to a psychologist to see if effexor was the right drug for me after being on it for 18 months with some improvement but not great improvement. At the time I was on 75 mg a day. The psychologist upped my dosage to 200 mg a day. Since then I have had very slight anxiety, and only when even a normal person would have a panic attack. My OCD is manageable. And I no longer wish everyone dead. I have had 0 side effects what so ever. Only thing I have noticed is when i miss a couple days, (mom of 3 it happens), all my problems come back 100%. I never take my meds at the same time and have never had withdrawal."

Breeder (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017