User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

"I have been on Effexor for awhile now I would guess three years. I don't know if it works or not, to be honest. The passed few years have not been normal by any means. I had a lower back fusion in 2009 but bounced back fast and continued my life. Missed a year though of baseball. Then while playing I broke my neck, yes my neck. That ended up also getting fused. My ill advised comeback resulted in three shoulder surgeries and a broken arm. I didn't handle my dreams of being crushed well. Super depressed that I was no longer an athlete. I have bad bad pain every day. I am married with two little kids and I became anxious every morning not knowing if I could play with my kids or not. still have bad anxiety and moderate depression."

IPlayed1BaseUW July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication worked for me for a few years for my anxiety, but eventually made me feel worse. When my new doctor recommended tapering me off I had 2 weeks of pure hell. I was fortunate enough not to experience the brain zaps others experienced, but I had diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, terrible migraines, dizziness, couldn't eat, nausea, non stop crying...the list goes on. I was a mess for 2 weeks straight and could barely work. I do not recommend starting this unless you plan to be on it for life. The withdrawal symptoms were not worth it, please try something else. This drug should not be on the market!!"

Andilynn303 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So this drug really helped with my depression but it also has some bad side effects. Please please please never skip a dose of this stuff. You will feel like absolute trash. As long as I take it every 24 hours it works perfectly for both my anxiety and depression but if I miss a dose, the side effects are awful. My whole body feels like white noise, my limbs buzz, I'm dizzy and nauseous, and can barely concentrate. Also, I don't know everyone else's experience with the medicine, but I used to be on the 150 mg dose and let me tell you. I couldn't orgasm no matter how much I wanted to and it sucked. I know it was the medicines fault cause when I lowered my dose to 75 mg I could orgasm again. The medicine ridiculously lowers my libido."

Sara726289 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never had depression in my life. Then I went through a major depression episode 2 years ago. I tried 7 different antidepressants none worked some made me even worse my doctor decided efexor I was very reluctant after reading horror stories about coming off of Efexor well I'm happy to say it worked for year-and-a-half, it had made me better within two weeks of taking it however I started to experience depression while taking it I decided to wean myself off and had no problems coming off of it. I did it slowly and it's been a month with no side effects of coming off this drug saved me from the deep dark hell of depression. Every drug is different from everybody this drug work for me I only took it for a year-and-a-half 37.5 mg."

Trisha65 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It Varies with me. At first it was good and helped me kick a 30 year weed habit. But now I feel less motivated and not as functional as when I smoked weed for the same symptoms. Weed worked. And had no side effects."

Jdm1126 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a female senior and started taking this drug about 8 months ago, so far it works well for the depression at 150mg. I missed taking the drug for 2 days and as a result I had terrible symptoms when I went to bed, my muscles felt like they were tensed and shaking, could not go to sleep but must have at some point and had terrible dreams, now I feel quite ill, stomach upset, gut upset, sweating, horrible. Had to take some pepto bismol tabs to try to settle my stomach. Took my pill at lunch today, waiting to see if I start to feel better. Surely there must be a drug that can do the same job without the necessity to take it with food and won't send you body into a tizzy if you miss a dose or 2."

brownie1951 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Stats: 26 year old. Female. 110lbs. Struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. I started Effexor 2 months ago when my panic attacks and anxiety got out of control and I tried to overdose on pain medication. I am extremely against drugs and it took a lot of convincing on my doctors end to get me on them. I read reviews and got scared away. I wish I hadn't. I started off with a 37.5 dosage. My initial side effect was losing weight/ my fever appetite. I'm a petite girl but I love to eat. I supplemented this by drinking protein shakes and started working out. I am back to my normal weight now. A month later went up to 75mg. Absolutely no side effects. Anxiety is much better and no more panic attacks. Also, my sex life wasn't effected at all."

Toronto girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started effexor 75 in Oct start feeling fantastic beside dry mouth and a bit of nausea. Doctor up it to 150mg in November. I felt like a whole different person I got my life back but due to some side effects of the drug causing constipation and facial twitching in my lower lip and body jolts doctor tried to ween me off 150 mg taking one pill every second day it was too fast to soon. Wow just as well if I had done it cold turkey. Brain zaps, crying, feeling lost in my own body. Scared tremors. It has been almost 2 weeks with no effexor and I have got vertigo, felt like I was going to die. Today I started taking 150mg again today and already feel a difference. This could be my drug huge difference in mood ,zapping gone and dry mouth is back I can live with that ."

Hello from the other side March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am so very thankful for this medication. It has allowed me to get a handle back on my life. I have panic attack disorder, separation anxiety, depression, and generalized anxiety. I was prescribed the Effexor for my depression. I was so depressed that I wouldn't leave bed, I'd have crying fits daily, everything would upset me, and I had suicidal thoughts. I take 150mg daily, as well as some other medications, and I can honestly say I am a huge fan. I haven't had any side effects, I don't go through withdraw if I don't take it the same time daily, it doesn't cause any serious problems. My only advice is to take it with food, like most medications. Although this drug works for me, it might not work for everyone."

ep1268x March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm at 225mg. There may, or there may not, be leg side effects. It can create -- or increase -- muscle rigidity. A massage will painful to the point of bliss -- the pain feels soooo good. But, if you start to get spasms WHEN YOU LIE DOWN they will be a whole different kind of pain! So strong they have now torn two tendens in my left leg the last 2 years. Effexor? In hospital they gave me my dose in the early morning and I had no spasms at night. But they also gave me morphine, oxy, and valium. NICE!!! At home, night dose > night spasms! Dose in afternoon > very few spasms. Love to hear from others!"

SitaKat March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Effexor 37.5mg once daily since September 2006 mainly to relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Depression. Effexor has worked great for both. I tried to get myself off of Effexor a few years ago & took St. John's Wort instead. I was lucky not to have any withdrawal symptoms. However, the depression returned, which I couldn't handle and returned to Effexor. I did wean myself off it and had no withdrawal symptoms. Experts say if you get off it, have to return to it, it may not work again. That didn't happen with me. I just found that Effexor raised my blood pressure & cholesterol. I have to decide whether to stay on it and be sane & preserve my kidneys, or stop it & get depressed AGAIN. Conundrum."

GinaGirl (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed 37.5 mg to me. I took one at 3:00p.m. and by 7:00p.m. I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. I actually was able to fall asleep but woke up several times during the night with horrible nausea, shaking, anxiety, weird dreams, and the a lot of gas! Thank goodness I had Zofran for nausea or I would have thrown up. I also had to take an Ativan for the anxiety and Imodium for diarrhea. It's now 5:00p.m. the next day and I'm just now feeling better. I know others who use Effexor and love it so it does work for some....just not for me. I called the doc and she quickly switched me to something else."

Peteywheat February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tapered off generic citalopram 40mg after 12 years just didn't work anymore then tried Effexor after reading great reviews. I took 75mg a day and into the 3rd week I had severe pounding migraines pressure behind my eyes nausea dizziness/brain zaps that were constant crying fits insomnia but vivid active dreams when I did sleep, body chills, leg twitches and severe terrible neck soreness. All these symptoms were happening at the same time and few times had hard pounding fast heart beats that I almost called 911. I think it may have been moderate serotonin toxicity. If you start this med start at the lowest possible dose. It shocks your body. Doc wants me to try Prozac but will talk to my psychiatrist first. Bad withdrawal symptoms too"

Aurelius81 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is absolutely horrible. I was prescribed Effexor 75mg twice a day. After lunch day ONE I take my first dose. Needless to say the intense vomiting, pins and needles up my spine into the back of my head and fire burning sensation in my spine, blurred vision, severe tremors, seeing colors and spots all over the place, my eyes starting rolling to the back of my head, passing out. Almost landed me in the ER. Called my doctor and got switched off immediately. That was by far the worst medication I have ever taken. I have been on Celexa 40mg until it stopped working and now I am on Prozac. I clearly can't handle an SNRI like that. I felt like I was going to die. Be highly cautious. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

CatieL February 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 33 yr old woman with Anxiety, irritabilty, ocd . I have been on many different medications since i was 18. My new doctor finally sent me to a psychologist to see if effexor was the right drug for me after being on it for 18 months with some improvement but not great improvement. At the time I was on 75 mg a day. The psychologist upped my dosage to 200 mg a day. Since then I have had very slight anxiety, and only when even a normal person would have a panic attack. My OCD is manageable. And I no longer wish everyone dead. I have had 0 side effects what so ever. Only thing I have noticed is when i miss a couple days, (mom of 3 it happens), all my problems come back 100%. I never take my meds at the same time and have never had withdrawal."

Breeder (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had been taking Zoloft 50mg about a year, then when my life stress increased, it wasn't helping me cope well. Im also taking Generic Adderal 10mg 2x daily which helps more with mood, focus, and anxiety. Since generic effexor is working so well for my daughter, I had asked my Psychiatrist if I could try it. From day one it seemed like a miracle and for about half a year I felt pretty normal. Doc thought 75mg dose was too low, but once I went up in dose. I started the downward spiral of side effects. On day 3 now, taking zoloft 50mg again, per the doc, but feel horrible, physically and ever so crazy now and then. I'm older female and sure don't need this. Wouldn't suggest this med to anyone over 30 because it's so nasty to change from."

Crazydaisy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Awful awful drug! I was put on this when I was 18 and was up to 150 mg for 7-8 months. If you literally took this med 5 min later than your scheduled time you would get withdrawal symptoms. The worst are what they call brain zaps which feels like your brain is getting electrocuted and the shocks travel all through your body to the tips of your toes and finger. I weened off and had these symptom for 4 months before they dissipated !! Also was on constant panic while weening off for weeks thinking I was dying. Never again"

Anonymous person January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for at least a year and a half. I started out with Celexa which at the highest dose completely stopped working for me, I was in a panic, cry for help. I became so much more depressed and my behaviors were so impulsive. My Dr started me of Effexor and what a difference this medication has made in my life. My mood became stable, I am no longer angry at the world, and l don't have the desire to go back to the way I was before Effexor. Remember everyone, we are all individualized, some things may with for others better than ourselves!"

AwesomeME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been life changing for me. Even after my first dose I was feeling like "me" again which I haven't felt like in 7 years. I'm much more calm and relaxed about life and when things happen I can deal with them in a positive manner. I will say the one downfall of this drug is the side effects if you miss even ONE dose. I've been on it for about 4 months now and I missed my first dose yesterday, which was my fault because I forgot the pharmacy closes early on Sunday's and was too late picking it up. "

BlytheMarie January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I read all the reviews and still thought I could beat the odds and it "might" work for me. The first day of taking it I was so shaky, nauseous, and it made me even more depressed than usual. I am not on any other meds so I figured I would try this first since my doctor just kept recommending it to me. NEVER AGAIN!!! Even if you think your that 1 in a million who won't get the side effects don't risk it!! There's so many others out there to try it's not even worth the one day of being suicidal and miserable"

Rje877 January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking this for over 5 yrs and have found it to be pretty good overall. Have had no side effects like the ones mentioned here by others so it's obviously very individual. Have noticed recently tho that its effectiveness has been waning so am now on Mirap to try to boost my depression am completely drowsy nearly all the time!?"

Dinnikins (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication was by far the worst antidepressant have taken. The first month I seemed to do very well on it, after a year on it, I hit rock bottom mentally. It caused more terrible symptoms than what was beneficial to me. I had weird brain zaps that left me in bed for days, sleep disturbances, attention seeking behavior, as well as OCD that I had never experienced previously. It took forever to get off this terrible drug and I call it a terrible drug because your brain and body get physically addicted the way a street drug would, you miss 1 day and you start having severe withdrawals, sweats, extreme brain zaps, feeling out of touch w/reality/strange thoughts. After a month of being off Effexor, All of the bad stuff stopped."

Depressed4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible drug. Do not take this. I was up to 250 mg before I decided to quit cold turkey. I was hearing things, nauseous, seeing things. I thought I was going insane. I was a first timer in meds and I had to work on top of it. I fully trusted the doctor to prescribe me the right meds. The doctor laughed me off when I told him what I went through. I thought I was going to die. After taking this drug I can never trust doctors again. It ruined me. He acted like it was no big deal. Do not take this drug lightly. I'm so surprised that dotors are so cautious about giving benzos but not antidepressants. They only care about the money they are getting paid by big pharma. Don't get me wrong some meds work. But be careful you only get one brain"

Truestory3uu4u4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well no experience more like question I was just prescribed this drug but I see so many bad reviews so I'm scared for dear life to try it but I need something to work I was on Zoloft 50 mg but it did nothing what else can I get on that I won't have awful side effects like these reviews"

Raeb26 January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug ruined my life. It made me delusional, paranoid, aggressive, short tempered. As a result I lost my partner, my job and my house. Don't take it!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2016