User Reviews for Effexor

Effexor Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

"I really want to mention that this drug is intended to be started at its lowest dosage, 37.5mg once a day for a minimum of 2 weeks. Do not break in half or chew it if it is the extended release. You can open it and sprinkle it on food. Posts herein show patients have been placed on higher doses to start. That may be the reason why it's not worked for some. The body needs time to acclimate. Dosages increase by 37.5mg after 2-3 weeks to a therapeutic range which is 150mg. For some, effects have taken place at lower doses therefore that would YOUR therapeutic range. I'm on 37.5mg once a day for 2 weeks with minimal side effects. Will continue to increase the dosage by 37.5mg once a day until I reach my therapeutic range. Effexor is NOT recommended for teenagers and below b/c the side effects are quite severe, maybe b/c of the developing brain. This is the reason this drug is no longer marketed. It's still prescribed b/c full adults seem to do better on it."

BlueRooster (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

"I dreaded taking effexor. It put me into a darker mood, outlook was foggy, nausea, headache, loss of libido, incapacitating loss of motivation and extreme/intolerable drowsiness. I was in an important meeting with engineers and I couldn't keep my eyes open no matter how desperately hard I tried. For me, there was no upside to the medication. It was an entirely negative experience. Had to discontinue and will never take it again. Yikes!"

N2H4 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

"I am amazed at all the comments that say, "this drug should be banned". Antidepressants of any kind work differently for different people. I tried Zoloft for a month, and in spite of the glowing reviews found it intolerable. I cried so much that I could barely leave the house. I had diarrhea constantly, (never have had diarrhea in my life). Switched to Effexor and felt like I had my life back again. Unbelievable change in my mood. Have been on tons of antidepressants for the last 40 years and so glad that something is working so far."

Birdlover65 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

"I was put on Effexor 75mg for the first week, then 150mg after that. It made my depression worse, I felt worse than I had in years, and almost cost me my job. I slept for almost 20 hours a day, was dizzy, and overall felt like a zombie. I had to quit after less than two weeks the side effects were so severe. This drug is nicknamed "SideEffexor" for a reason."

Emily (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"Started taking effexor for about 1 week now at 75mg per day (37.5 mg in the morning and 37.5 mg after dinner) after a terrible experience with cymbalta. The first few days I had nausea and tired beyond belief and excessive yawning. The nausea has gotten better but the tiredness continues and the yawning as well. Also am getting headaches every now and then though they are not too bad. My mood has lifted a little I believe. Also I was on wellbutrin xl for years and though it helped a little bit in the beginning and then it stopped working. I am hoping this one works."

Anon (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"I have been on Effexor for nine months for my severe anxiety disorder. I was having trouble controlling my emotions so the dr upped the dose. I started off at 37.5 and then increased to 75 mg. I was still having emotional issues so it was upped to 225mg. The symptoms just got worse! I had so many things that this med caused that I lost my job! I went to the dr and started getting off the Effexor. I feel like myself again ! No more feelings of suicide, crying all day, feeling like I was in the way and worthless, having urinary problems and always being tired. I had no idea it was the meds! I basically suffered for nothing! Please be aware of the side effects ."

Tam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2018

"I'm a 43 year old man going through a painful divorce. Until I started on Effexor (75mg) last week, I couldn't sleep at night, was obsessing over my ex, feeling ABSOLUTE despair and hopelessness with bouts of furious rage. I was a wreck. Now all those symptoms are gone... But so is everything else! I am currently unemployed, and HAD been hustling like crazy to find a new job, but since Effexor, my MOTIVATION is completely GONE-- I have zero sense of urgency, when I know that I should be freaking out a little because I have bills to pay and I NEED a job. I binged 3 hours of Netflix in the middle of the day for no reason!! I've never been a procrastinator-- but that's all I'm about all of a sudden, and I could not care less! I was on Effexor years ago for my quick temper and depression, but went off it after two years because the apathy came to be too much. Looks like I am going to have to do it again-- because I need my hustle back!!!"

JRNyc (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

"One of the few antidepressant that have not caused me to put on weight. Works reasonably well for depression and somewhat less well for anxiety. I sleep far more on this drug than normal, although this has been the case with all AD medications I’ve taken previously."

Locc (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

"I know this sounds dumb BUT I never ever, EVER had WARTS, but while I was on Effexor warts started to pop up on my hands, I was just taking Effexor, nothing else. I thought it coudn't be Effexor, but that was the only thing I was doing different, so I stopped it and within 2 to 3 weeks they were ALL-GONE, I couldn't believe it, (I have a witness). I will never take it again, if it caused the warts out-side what did it do in-side? All I know now is that it has been 12 years since then, an now I have M.S. :("

Willow10364 January 29, 2018

"Effexor was the worst antidepressant I've ever taken. It seemed to help at first but only for a short time. The side effects were crazy. Brain zaps, waking up screaming for no reason, feeling hot all the time to the point of not wanting to go anywhere. Random muscle twitches, not being able to shut my brain off to fall asleep... My point is, not every medicine is for everyone. This one is too tough to quit cold turkey but once I got off of it I felt better."

Emmski January 27, 2018

"Worst drug I've ever taken in my life. Made my depression worse immediately to a low I've never been to in my entire life. My eye pupils kept dilating and restricting. I had to get off immediately after four days. I've since been on medications that work quite well for me but effexor was a nightmare so if you are having a horrible reaction get off it!!! It worked well for a friend of mine but not for me."

Candy 2015 January 20, 2018

"I suffer from severe anxiety & mild depression. I had no idea how this was ruining my life. I was so nervous to try medication but finally got the point that I was desperate. Tried Zoloft, Wellbutrin & Celexia. Felt awful or had such strong side effects that I couldn't continue them. Finally tried effexor at 37.5mg for 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks were absolute hell. So sick & emotions were all over the place. I was about to give up on it but my doctor suggested 75mg. Wow! What a difference. Still have the side effects (nausea, constipation, some dizziness, loss of appetite, brain fog) but hoping those go away as I'm only on week 3 now at new dosage. Mentally I'm already feeling better! Not sure how much for my anxiety but definitely for depression"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2017

"Excellent medication for my Panic disorder. You need to take it for 2 weeks before feeling any improvement, no real side effects, yawning and tiredness mainly."

Sorcia November 24, 2017

"I took Effexor for the first and last time yesterday around 7:41 am . At first I couldn't feel my arms or face and then it felt like fire works were going off in my head . I yawned all day long and each time I did I felt like my own tongue was gagging me . The worst of it was around 3:45 am I woke up shaking uncontrollably falling over couldn't see straight it felt like I was being electrocuted it was to the point I either wanted to be knocked out or die . My husband found me shaking and rocking back and forth in our living room floor . This drug for me personally was horrific ."

Brit91 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

"I've struggled with GAD since my late teens which worsened following a tragic and untimely death in the family..which also lead to PTSD I tried numerous anti depressants but most of them slowed me down I didn't want this. So many years ago maybe 12 years ago I was prescribed effexor since then my dose has gone up and down I'm now on 225mg daily I was able to come off them cold turkey for 3 pregnancies I can only suggest early pregnancy hormones took over as withdrawal effects were minimal. But in general withdrawal effects are horrendous if I miss a day or 2 as I've failed to collect them on time I have an upset stomach...sweating and termors...nightmares, feelings of terror, luckily they work fast! I'm a fan they help & make me feel normal"

Gemini81 (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2017

"I have used this drug for around 5 years now. I am ultra-sensitive to medication, so when I am stable (I am bipolar) I go down to 112.5mg and when depressed I go to 150mg. At these doses, I still get the side effects. And QUICK withdrawal if I miss my morning dose... ie by lunch time, I am nauseous and getting brain-shocks. Having been on some other types of antidepressants, I prefer this one as I have energy (despite drowsiness being a side-effect). I would not change my anti-depressant again."

NikNakNoNo (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

"Effexor has been good for my work life, it has given me energy to get things done, and to not stress as much about anything, including social interactions. It sort of numbs my emotions which has been good because I usually cry easily, and get easily bitter. I don't get overIy happy tho. I also like how I don't feel like I'm on a drug, my mind isn't cloudy. I have trouble when it comes to working on projects at home, projects I used to work on so easily now stress me out just thinking about the process of it all. I have an unusually strong urge to bite my nails, crazy dreams (which is fine), lethargic. Appetite fine except when changing my dose."

Kae333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2017

"Well where do I start? Middle aged mom of three and wife and a year ago it all went down hill. So I go to my doctor explain things and how I'm feeling and she prescribed me this medicine to me at 75mg a day then upped it to 150mg. The first few days I was so ill and sleepy I was passing out in the middle of sentences (eyes rolling back and body tremors) so I tried it for 6 months it really affected being able to orgasm which I didn't know it would do? So I started to ween myself off without doctors consent because its clearly NOT working to control my anxiety my mood swings or bringing a balance to my ADD/OCD. The nausea is horrible, the dreams are HORRIFIC I attacked my husband in my sleep and he had to pin me down. Don't take this medicine!"

L's Sunshine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2017

"I am a woman nearing 40 who has dealt with a handful of health issues; Degenerative joint disease in both TMJ joints (20+ years), chronic migraines (20+ years), depression (20 years), and High blood pressure (6 years). I have been taking 250mg of Effexor for MANY years. Due to chronic pain my doc increased my dose to 300mg in spring. Since then my life has fallen to pieces. I have such terrible nightmares both at night and when I nap that I wake my entire 2 storey house. I have cold sweats and need to be woke up. I am usually in tears because as soon as I close my eyes I am right back in the nightmare. This goes on night after night. I am in a VICIOUS and scary cycle."

Screaming for help (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2017

"I took effexor for almost 7 years, the worst years of my life. I was angry and furious all the time, my anxiety was horrible and I cannot say it helps with the depression. I realised that effexor change my pesonality when I stop to take it and some how I was back to normal, except that my memory was very poor. To avoid the withdrawal my family doctor put my on cipralex, which give me palpitations, and after Zoloft that did nothing to me, remeron which worked for 3 months (helped me enormous with my insomnia) and after no more benefits and 10 kg more, water retention , I tried for 1 week Prozac and I woke up in a full panic attack at 4 o clock in the morning, horrible. Now I am taking only clonazepam as needed 0.5mg and is working like a charm"

Lilly from Montreal (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 17, 2017

"Left me with Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.. a year and a half passed by without significant improvement. I had been using 75 mg for less than a year. I recommend you to never take a SSRI."

Jean-Raphael (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2017

"I have been on Effexor for awhile now I would guess three years. I don't know if it works or not, to be honest. The passed few years have not been normal by any means. I had a lower back fusion in 2009 but bounced back fast and continued my life. Missed a year though of baseball. Then while playing I broke my neck, yes my neck. That ended up also getting fused. My ill advised comeback resulted in three shoulder surgeries and a broken arm. I didn't handle my dreams of being crushed well. Super depressed that I was no longer an athlete. I have bad bad pain every day. I am married with two little kids and I became anxious every morning not knowing if I could play with my kids or not. still have bad anxiety and moderate depression."

IPlayed1BaseUW July 10, 2017

"This medication worked for me for a few years for my anxiety, but eventually made me feel worse. When my new doctor recommended tapering me off I had 2 weeks of pure hell. I was fortunate enough not to experience the brain zaps others experienced, but I had diarrhea, suicidal thoughts, terrible migraines, dizziness, couldn't eat, nausea, non stop crying...the list goes on. I was a mess for 2 weeks straight and could barely work. I do not recommend starting this unless you plan to be on it for life. The withdrawal symptoms were not worth it, please try something else. This drug should not be on the market!!"

Andilynn303 July 7, 2017

"So this drug really helped with my depression but it also has some bad side effects. Please please please never skip a dose of this stuff. You will feel like absolute trash. As long as I take it every 24 hours it works perfectly for both my anxiety and depression but if I miss a dose, the side effects are awful. My whole body feels like white noise, my limbs buzz, I'm dizzy and nauseous, and can barely concentrate. Also, I don't know everyone else's experience with the medicine, but I used to be on the 150 mg dose and let me tell you. I couldn't orgasm no matter how much I wanted to and it sucked. I know it was the medicines fault cause when I lowered my dose to 75 mg I could orgasm again. The medicine ridiculously lowers my libido."

Sara726289 June 26, 2017

"I never had depression in my life. Then I went through a major depression episode 2 years ago. I tried 7 different antidepressants none worked some made me even worse my doctor decided efexor I was very reluctant after reading horror stories about coming off of Efexor well I'm happy to say it worked for year-and-a-half, it had made me better within two weeks of taking it however I started to experience depression while taking it I decided to wean myself off and had no problems coming off of it. I did it slowly and it's been a month with no side effects of coming off this drug saved me from the deep dark hell of depression. Every drug is different from everybody this drug work for me I only took it for a year-and-a-half 37.5 mg."

Trisha65 June 15, 2017