User Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Effexor Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor

"I've been on Effexor XR 37.5mg for 2 weeks now for anxiety and depression and am seeing good results already. Generally my mood is never stable, this medication has started to even everything out and I go through my days feeling content. My anxiety is subsiding and my mood and energy levels have increased. I find myself having tons of energy at times and not knowing what to do with myself, I am hoping that will even its self out. My first week of Effexor I had extreme fatigue and irritability that was difficult to deal with. So far my experience has been good and I am very hopeful. A lot of people go online to complain about their bad experiences, don't let that scare you away, everyone works differently."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

"I started taking Effexor about 2 years ago now. At first a started at the lowest dose and found it did nearly nothing for me. However over time as we slowly increased it I found my depression did majorly decrease. I had been unable to get out of bed, had suicidal thoughts, no interest in relationships before beginning the drug. After about 6 months I found I was managing my depression much better. However it is still a daily fight. I also found I have a huge drop in sex drive due to the medication."

Em January 7, 2019

"My experience with this drug was horrific. At 150mg I hit a new low, I was impulsive, severely anxious and constantly in tears. I was so desperate to be off this med I went cold turkey. Huge mistake. Developed discontinuation syndrome. Fever, tremors, panic attacks, vertigo, hives, flu-like symptoms, night terrors, constant vomiting. Got to the point I couldn’t even keep down water. By day 6 I was hospitalized with severe dehydration and exhaustion. Was immediately hooked up to an IV to replace fluids and given anti-sickness meds. Doctors introduced a lower dose and am now tapering. Down to 18 mg so nearly there. Have to take it slowly as I’m extremely sensitive to this medication. Another 2 weeks and I will be free of it. Can't wait to have my life back!"

Sazzlemo (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2018

"Had one dose of 37.5 mg and had nausea, shaking, chills, what felt like ice water through my veins. It's been 4 days and have yet to recover and have two panic attacks a day versus when I never had any before. I switched back to Zoloft yesterday, hopefully I will be better in the weeks to come."

Anon October 28, 2018

"I was prescribed Effexor 75 mg two years back and subsequently I decided to taper off once in a while. It helps a lot to be focused but the side effect for me were sleepless night and nausea. I am going back on it again. I felt without it I am spiralling down the dark tunnel."

Sweetasheaven (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2018

"Effexor has totally numbed my feelings. Am sad but can't express feelings anymore..."

TomTom (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 18, 2018

"I took Effexor 150mg. I had the usual sexual side effects associated with antidepressants. Tapered off under my Doctors guidance. My sex drive never returned and that was almost 13 years ago. It basically turned me A-sexual or chemically castrated me."

Ruined4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2018

"I was given a dosage of 75 mg for as month then up to 150 mg. It has been the worst experience I've had with any medication. After 10 weeks my new psychologist has started weaning me off. It will take 4 months in order to avoid the worse effects. Anxiety, suicidal thoughts , headaches, stomach problems.... just a few of my side effects."

Fed up (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

"I was prescribed 75 mg Effexor for my depression. Took the medication for only four days and had to stop it, as my depression deepened. I went into rolling panic attacks. I did not get an hour of sleep for four days, despite feeling completely exhausted. The world made no sense. Life made no sense. I couldn't stand my head and the thoughts in it. It is not true that the drug can cause increased suicidal thoughts only in young people. People should be very careful with this drug!"

Acer (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

"Effexor changed my way of life completely. I couldn’t get out of bed to do minor house work. I can actually get things done now. I feel happy again, like I used to be. I want to make plans with friends now. I am just a nicer person. My panic attacks have stopped. I am pleasant to my spouse and children now. I feel I am in control of my life again."

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

"I took 37.5 mg for about four days. After reading the reviews I immediately stopped this drug not wanting to risk the bad side effects. It had been over a day off it and I cannot orgasm and I feel absolutely nothing."

Luna (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018

"I used to take effexor, started with 37 mg dose ended with 150 mg dose, terrible experience. When you stop it - please stop it gradually as possible!! I stopped it and I enjoy perfect health again!! George"

kissonerga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

"I really want to mention that this drug is intended to be started at its lowest dosage, 37.5mg once a day for a minimum of 2 weeks. Do not break in half or chew it if it is the extended release. You can open it and sprinkle it on food. Posts herein show patients have been placed on higher doses to start. That may be the reason why it's not worked for some. The body needs time to acclimate. Dosages increase by 37.5mg after 2-3 weeks to a therapeutic range which is 150mg. For some, effects have taken place at lower doses therefore that would YOUR therapeutic range. I'm on 37.5mg once a day for 2 weeks with minimal side effects. Will continue to increase the dosage by 37.5mg once a day until I reach my therapeutic range. Effexor is NOT recommended for teenagers and below b/c the side effects are quite severe, maybe b/c of the developing brain. This is the reason this drug is no longer marketed. It's still prescribed b/c full adults seem to do better on it."

BlueRooster (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

"I dreaded taking effexor. It put me into a darker mood, outlook was foggy, nausea, headache, loss of libido, incapacitating loss of motivation and extreme/intolerable drowsiness. I was in an important meeting with engineers and I couldn't keep my eyes open no matter how desperately hard I tried. For me, there was no upside to the medication. It was an entirely negative experience. Had to discontinue and will never take it again. Yikes!"

N2H4 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

"I am amazed at all the comments that say, "this drug should be banned". Antidepressants of any kind work differently for different people. I tried Zoloft for a month, and in spite of the glowing reviews found it intolerable. I cried so much that I could barely leave the house. I had diarrhea constantly, (never have had diarrhea in my life). Switched to Effexor and felt like I had my life back again. Unbelievable change in my mood. Have been on tons of antidepressants for the last 40 years and so glad that something is working so far."

Birdlover65 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

"I was put on Effexor 75mg for the first week, then 150mg after that. It made my depression worse, I felt worse than I had in years, and almost cost me my job. I slept for almost 20 hours a day, was dizzy, and overall felt like a zombie. I had to quit after less than two weeks the side effects were so severe. This drug is nicknamed "SideEffexor" for a reason."

Emily (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"Started taking effexor for about 1 week now at 75mg per day (37.5 mg in the morning and 37.5 mg after dinner) after a terrible experience with cymbalta. The first few days I had nausea and tired beyond belief and excessive yawning. The nausea has gotten better but the tiredness continues and the yawning as well. Also am getting headaches every now and then though they are not too bad. My mood has lifted a little I believe. Also I was on wellbutrin xl for years and though it helped a little bit in the beginning and then it stopped working. I am hoping this one works."

Anon (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"I have been on Effexor for nine months for my severe anxiety disorder. I was having trouble controlling my emotions so the dr upped the dose. I started off at 37.5 and then increased to 75 mg. I was still having emotional issues so it was upped to 225mg. The symptoms just got worse! I had so many things that this med caused that I lost my job! I went to the dr and started getting off the Effexor. I feel like myself again ! No more feelings of suicide, crying all day, feeling like I was in the way and worthless, having urinary problems and always being tired. I had no idea it was the meds! I basically suffered for nothing! Please be aware of the side effects ."

Tam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2018

"I'm a 43 year old man going through a painful divorce. Until I started on Effexor (75mg) last week, I couldn't sleep at night, was obsessing over my ex, feeling ABSOLUTE despair and hopelessness with bouts of furious rage. I was a wreck. Now all those symptoms are gone... But so is everything else! I am currently unemployed, and HAD been hustling like crazy to find a new job, but since Effexor, my MOTIVATION is completely GONE-- I have zero sense of urgency, when I know that I should be freaking out a little because I have bills to pay and I NEED a job. I binged 3 hours of Netflix in the middle of the day for no reason!! I've never been a procrastinator-- but that's all I'm about all of a sudden, and I could not care less! I was on Effexor years ago for my quick temper and depression, but went off it after two years because the apathy came to be too much. Looks like I am going to have to do it again-- because I need my hustle back!!!"

JRNyc (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

"One of the few antidepressant that have not caused me to put on weight. Works reasonably well for depression and somewhat less well for anxiety. I sleep far more on this drug than normal, although this has been the case with all AD medications I’ve taken previously."

Locc (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

"I know this sounds dumb BUT I never ever, EVER had WARTS, but while I was on Effexor warts started to pop up on my hands, I was just taking Effexor, nothing else. I thought it coudn't be Effexor, but that was the only thing I was doing different, so I stopped it and within 2 to 3 weeks they were ALL-GONE, I couldn't believe it, (I have a witness). I will never take it again, if it caused the warts out-side what did it do in-side? All I know now is that it has been 12 years since then, an now I have M.S. :("

Willow10364 January 29, 2018

"Effexor was the worst antidepressant I've ever taken. It seemed to help at first but only for a short time. The side effects were crazy. Brain zaps, waking up screaming for no reason, feeling hot all the time to the point of not wanting to go anywhere. Random muscle twitches, not being able to shut my brain off to fall asleep... My point is, not every medicine is for everyone. This one is too tough to quit cold turkey but once I got off of it I felt better."

Emmski January 27, 2018

"Worst drug I've ever taken in my life. Made my depression worse immediately to a low I've never been to in my entire life. My eye pupils kept dilating and restricting. I had to get off immediately after four days. I've since been on medications that work quite well for me but effexor was a nightmare so if you are having a horrible reaction get off it!!! It worked well for a friend of mine but not for me."

Candy 2015 January 20, 2018

"I suffer from severe anxiety & mild depression. I had no idea how this was ruining my life. I was so nervous to try medication but finally got the point that I was desperate. Tried Zoloft, Wellbutrin & Celexia. Felt awful or had such strong side effects that I couldn't continue them. Finally tried effexor at 37.5mg for 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks were absolute hell. So sick & emotions were all over the place. I was about to give up on it but my doctor suggested 75mg. Wow! What a difference. Still have the side effects (nausea, constipation, some dizziness, loss of appetite, brain fog) but hoping those go away as I'm only on week 3 now at new dosage. Mentally I'm already feeling better! Not sure how much for my anxiety but definitely for depression"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2017

"Excellent medication for my Panic disorder. You need to take it for 2 weeks before feeling any improvement, no real side effects, yawning and tiredness mainly."

Sorcia November 24, 2017