User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

"If you want to hallucinate, lose all recollection of time since the drug enters your system, shake and sweat like a heroin addict, live in complete disarray, never talk to anyone ever again because it makes you hallucinate your friends and family are all there with you, even though you live alone... Then this is the drug for you. II was on it for Fibromyalgia and depression. It has been well after a year since I discontinued use AGAINST DOCTORS ORDERS and I still have headaches and electrical-type surges throughout my body. I took that USELESS drug for well over 3 years at its highest milligram and had to just flush them since the doctor refused to take me off of them. I had almost every single symptom listed on the manufacturer website. I STILL cannot remember those years. AWFUL!"

Worst drug ever! (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

"I Have been on this medication for 2+ years. I would not recommend a dosage higher than 37.5MG a day at 200lbs male. It keeps me awake and not having ADHD type symptoms throughout the day if i take it in the morning. I have tried Prozac and it only made my symptoms worse not better. As a night person who had sleeping cycle problems from a young age."

Alternativee30 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

"I have been on 75mg ER of Venlafaxine HCL for over 3 months now and I really feel wonderful. It's working very well for me. I have plenty of energy, lost about 20 pounds of weight and I do feel very content and calm. I do have vivid dreams that are interesting and long. I socialize and react very well with people now and no longer have any fears of socializing with groups of people. Again, this antidepressant, has so far, worked very well with me and I am happy that my doctor switched me from 20mg of citalopram, which made me very tired and gain way to much weight, to 75mg Effixor ER (Venlafaxine). Everyone's system is a bit different and what may work well for someone may not work well for someone else. I wish you all the best."

Autumnbreeze555 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

"thought it was a miracle drug at first until I ceased feeling emotions, and I was only ever on a low dose of 75mg. Been trying to ween off this drug for 3 months now and I had brain zaps (feels like an electrical impulse going through my head), no appetite, diarrhea, head aches, dysphoria, aches & pains throughout my muscles and joints, dissociation (feels like I'm watching myself watch paint dry), tremors, and sweats. I feel hopeless and like this drug has taken my life from me for the past few months. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone ever."

THE WORST (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2016

"Terrible med. for me like it was for a lot of people. I used it for 6 weeks (enough time to get into my system). It caused panic attacks, which was not fun. I would have several each day. I was taking this med. for anxiety and depression. I cried every single day, and several times a day on this med. and I did not sleep a full nights sleep for the entire duration. I felt way more sad, and felt like I was in a zombie like state daily. I read reviews of this drug and prayed that I would soon start to feel better, and wouldn't be one of those that this drug did not work for. Alas, I was one of those. I stopped taking Effexor, cold turkey 5 days ago. Best thing I ever did. I experienced some withdrawal symptoms, like severe brain zaps"

Cinnabuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

"I was prescribed venlafaxine ~3 months ago for depression co-morbid with anxiety (mostly social in nature). During the first week side-effects included feeling "strange"/"spaced out" and jaw clenching. I still have mild anxiety "jitteryness", some foul smelling flatulance(!) and limb twitching/achiness. I don't really know if it has worked for depression so give it a modest rating. I do feel slightly better but I don't know if I can credit the drugs because I made some significant lifestyle changes. As for anxiety, I do feel less hesitant in conversations and less obsessive over saying something "awkward". I think this is because of the drugs, but unfortunately these social improvements haven't really translated into improved confidence"

Stevo Hein (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

"The absolute worst drug I have ever been on. Caused physical illness and a state of mania for a week straight - a week from hell."

Diaaaaaaaaaaaa August 9, 2016

"Please everyone make sure you are emailing Pfizer. They need to be making increments of 5mg so that people can wean themselves off easier. They are aware of the withdrawal from Effexor yet have not made smaller increments so people have to figure out ways to do it themselves. I was on 150mg for 4 years. I attempted to go off by decreasing by 37.5mg every 2 weeks. I was suicidal, exhausted, dizzy, and felt like my brain was being electrocuted. Within 2 days of taking my previous dose the symptoms went away. My next attempt to get off was much slower. I decreased by 5mg every month. I had to take my pills out of the capsule, shave a little off the pill and put it back in the capsule. To get any kind of accuracy you have to buy a scale."

Anonymous August 5, 2016

"More than Depression I take Effexor for Anxiety and it works well. The only problem occurs when I forget to take it. Within in hours I experience withdrawal symptoms such as light headiness and an occasional brief buzzing in my head."

Grodon August 1, 2016

"This was the worst of all the antidepressants I've been on. One day without taking it and I would immediately start to withdrawal. I quit this cold turkey disregarding my doctor's request because I just wanted it out of my system. I basically went manic for about a week but I felt so much better when it was cleared from my system. Hated this drug. 0 stars if I could. My new doctor even refuses to prescribe this."

Anonymous Reviewer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

"This medication was God awful to me. I was on Lexapro for 3 years when they suddenly switched me to Effexor while slowly weaning me of the Lexapro. The first few days were hell. I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours each night and became irritable and physically ill because of it. When I finally did sleep and wake up I had one of the worst panic attacks I've ever experienced in my life. It was to the point where my family and I were afraid I would need to be hospitalized. I will NEVER EVER TAKE THIS DRUG AGAIN. I had only been taking it for 3 weeks when I had the horrible panic attack, the worst one I've ever experimeced and which the meds were supposed to be helping me with, and I am back on 20 mg of Lexapro."

KrissyMarieM July 26, 2016

"It amazes me that so many people actually have anything good to say about this evil drug. My advice to anyone is to never go on this drug or any other antidepressant, at least not for more than a couple of months. Weaning myself off this drug, at the very slowest of paces has at times been scary!! Mania plus suicidal even homocidal ideation is not to be taken lightly. It's taken 12 months to reduce my dose from 75mg - 6.56mg /day. For 6 mths I didn't attempt to reduce it. Now I use a nail-file and precision scales to reduce it by about 1mg/week. If I had known 11 years ago what I know now about this drug I would have told by doctor in no uncertain terms where she could stick it!"

Zyklzy July 26, 2016

"Hi, I have been using Effexor xr for about 9 months now and have been off it for about 3 weeks. I am still experiencing sexual disfunction. I understand this to be post SSRI sexual dysfunction which can last a few months, to a few years, to permanently. I wanted to let people of the this risk of taking an SSRI."

David Beckam Jr. July 26, 2016

"Effexor saved my life!!!! I was so hesitant at first to try this drug because to me it seemed so powerful compared to Zoloft and Celexa which I've been on in the past. I was also nervous bc of the reviews I read with ppl talking about all the horrible side effects. I'm here to tell you DONT BELEIVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. Effexor is absolutely amazing!!! I had no side effects at all. If I had to say I had any it would be cold sweats for maybe a day but that's it. I take 150mg ER a day and I am back to my old self if not better. My advice is that everyone's body reacts differently to medication and not everyone experiences the same things. This drug is amazing and has helped my depression in every way...."

Amazing Drug!!! (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"After a tragic and dark episode in my late 20's where I seemed to have reached rock bottom, some random doctor put me on effexor, minimal dose. Eleven years later I have never been able to get off the damn thing. And I lost count on how many times I've tried. This stuff is seriously addictive and is one of the worst in its kind. Make absolutely sure you really know what you get yourself into with this drug. Even just missing a day makes me sick, two and I'm sick as hell. I just finally started the long and slow process of tampering down 10% a month by removing little beads. It's gonna take ten months but I am determined and hoping it works out smoothly ... Nothing this addictive can be good. Beware."

Lucky17 (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2016

"Horrible side effects! I tried Ciprelex (escitalopram), but made me so tried all the time. My doc switched me to Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), I had 0 side effects, but I couldn't afford the $105 price each month without a generic brand or drug plan. Doc switched me to Effexor claiming it was "very similar to Pristiq, and available in a generic" however I had the WORST insomnia at night. Trouble falling and staying asleep at night- would wake up every hour with mind racing. Dry mouth throughout the day no matter how much water I drank. Also, very fidgety feet and legs while sitting or laying in bed. I was exhausted all day everyday, yet continued waking up several times throughout the night. Went back to my doc, and switched back to Pristiq."

cmd7403 June 15, 2016

"Started Effexor after other anti-depressants gave me too many side effects. I'm four months in now and so far it has been great. I do have times where I'm very sleepy, have vivid dreams, and some weight gain but those are minor to me compared to how miserable I was before. Sexually it's been helpful as I'm not on edge all the time and can relax easier. It's up to the individual to decide what side effects are deal breakers. I have accidentally missed a dose here and there but haven't experienced any of the withdrawals that others have."

JennyI May 31, 2016

"This medication has worked amazingly well for me, but the side effects are no joke. My mood is better, I'm less anxious, less angry, and more sociable. It works. It's great, but there are serious drawbacks. My libido and sexual performance are down. I get tired more easily. If I go outside on a hot day my clothes are quickly drenched in sweat. Physical activity exhausts my muscles more quickly. My mouth is so dry I need to constantly sip water. And finally, if I miss a dose I get the sensation of electric shocks in my brain. I personally find the benefits outweigh the side effects. Worth a try when more tolerable meds fail."

mr dude guy May 27, 2016

"Effexor has been absolutely brilliant for me. I was on and off Lexapro for years, it made the anxiety less but I felt blunted and almost more depressed as there was no meaning in my life. I have hardly any side effects with Effexor (75mg). nausea the first couple weeks. Excess sweat for about 6 months. Orgasms slightly less intense, but still very enjoyable and probably easier to reach as I'm more relaxed. I find I have less control over sugar/carb cravings and am a bit lower energy and have thus gained some weight - maybe 5 kilos. All in all, I was very reluctant to try this, but it has changed my life for the better. Sometimes worry about withdrawal and safety in pregnancy - but I think Effexor saved my life, so that's the main thing!"

bluejuice (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

"It changed my life. 48 years of just dealing with anxiety and depression not wanting to be on medication. With the onset of pre-menopause the depression was unbearable and more feelings of hopelessness. My doctor prescribed 75 mg and I feel alive again. The torment of paranoia, anxiety and the depression are gone."

BAC67 April 19, 2016

"I was angry all the time and miserable, the doctor prescribed effexor 75's. The first few days I felt wonderful, better than I'd felt for years. After that it was the same old, same old but I wasn't angry. anymore. I started getting really bad sweats, I would be just sitting there and sweat would start rolling down my face. I also started grinding my teeth and picking at sores on my arms and back. I went back to the doctor, she upped the medication to 150. The sweating has stopped, I am working on the teeth grinding and the picking. I was hoping to feel as good as I did when I first started taking the pills but I don't. Insurance only covers price of generic, pharmacist has me on program that has Effexor makers pay part too"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2016

"I had a lot of side effects on Effexor 37mg- dry mouth, constipation, increased heart rate and blood pressure, ringing in ears, nausea, shakiness, more anxiety and so on. I don't remember having all these with Lexapro or Zoloft a few years ago. At least not to the same degree as Effexor and if there was any side effects they went away after a few weeks. I switched back to Zoloft 25mg after 3 weeks and 3 days in I already feel better - no more feeling wired or jittery. Effexor is not the med for me. It did help the depression, but the crazy side effects aren't worth it to me. I do have a friend that's been on it awhile and it work great for her."

mighty1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

"I've been on effexor for over 10 years now,it was good at first before I took it I couldn't control my anger,but I've had several bad years separation domestic violence and my children and I were homeless things with those matters are starting to get a little better now,but I'm finding I'm feeling so sad and down thoughts of suicide and I'm good sometimes and other times I cry myself to sleep I really don't know if its working anymore I'm currently on 75 mg"

Heavan and hell April 14, 2016

"Went on Effexor Aug 2015 through Oct 2015, improved depression, however, did not really feel any joy either. Effexor helped with diet, appetite declined, which I was happy with, as it allowed me to lose weight. Effexor/Venlafaxine did cause me to get angry, and acquire a bad temper on occasion. The primary problem I had with effexor/venlafaxine though was that it caused terrible constipation. No matter how good my diet was, it didn't matter. I ate steamed vegetables and fruit, with occasional lean meats, cut out junk food. I took psyllium every day, added Miralax, and drank plenty of fluids. I had no choice but to come off the Venlafaxine, bowel movements came back about 5-6 days later. I did have minor withdrawal with dizziness."

rb1979 April 9, 2016

"I took this medicine about 6 years ago for depression and PTSD . This is a horrible medication, doctor I saw told me it was a magic drug for depression. Magic as in the sense it is god awful and turned me into a monster. I went from being depressed to being super depressed. I think I suffered from all of the side effects listed, and now that I had a genetic test to find out why medications didn't work on me , I know why. Being a poor metabolizer made it so the medications build up in my system and I get the horrible side effects, and this one was no different. The withdrawal from this was god awful almost unbearable, from the brain zaps, to the uncontrolled crying, all the way to a 1 day hospital stay. Stay away"

Ptsddude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016