User Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Effexor has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 308 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 40% of those users who reviewed Effexor reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Effexor Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor

Becky · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 25, 2021

“Hideous poison. Was on 225mg for eight years. Sweating every night, neurological pain, twitching, shakes....withdrawal symptoms before I was even due my dose. Avoid at all costs. Am now on remeron and I can sleep and function.”

Sxxyval · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

“Horrible, pure toxic product that will leave you with tics and twitches for the rest of your life, if your doctor prescribes ANYTHING with a black box warning .... BE AWARE !! No black box RX is fit for human consumption, and Remember that the goal of the healthcare industry in the USA is NOT to make us feel better they like to create other diseases .....all depression drugs related to this one is horrible”

medaj · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2021

“so I started taking this drug about 2 weeks ago and have severe depression and anxiety with extreme self esteem issues, and I have been experiencing a lot of different emotions right now. I have a lot of down and depressing moments when I’m alone, to the point where I get panicked about how I’m going to react to certain situations, as I feel like I’m going to over react to the point of snapping at people, especially my family and friends supporting me right now. I have also been having tremors in my legs and my breathing can get out of control at times. Everyone taking new medication will always react differently, and it can take time to settle in but I can honestly say if these symptoms persist, I will be going off this medication. I really hope it starts to kick in a few more weeks time.”

Alex · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2019

“Reading reviews online WILL freak you out about this drug, and as someone who used it for panic disorder and extreme anxiety (as well as depression) these reviews on here DEFINITELY terrified me. First off, relax. Taking any new drug for the first time can be scary because your body's adjusting, but freaking out about any little symptom will only make your experience worse. Now on to my experience: The first couple weeks I experienced nausea and maybe a bit of sleeplessness? But nothing too crazy. Lost a bit of weight too as it suppressed my appetite. I really do believe this drug helped calm my nervous system enough so that I was able to function normally again, and so far after the first month I don't experience side effects at all. Don't be scared about all the wacky reviews, people can psych themselves out when influenced by others opinions.”

rjbz1 December 31, 2020

“I'm on Effexore for Depression, Anxiety, ADHD. 1-4 Weeks The medication the first few weeks is going to make you excessively sleepy. It is just the nature of the beast. During the first few weeks ensure that you are taking the time to get a work out in a few times a week and supplement any lethargy with a bit of caffeine. Weeks 5-8 This is where the medication really starts to shine. If you are a male, this drug is ideal for you because it has a less likely chance of causing erectile dysfunction as it is a SRNI and not a SSRI. Your reaction to negative events, to include stressful situations, begins to dramatically change. Instead of having fast paced thoughts, you have a true sense of peace, less worry and a newfound sense of over all well-being. I highly recommend this medication if your SSRI is causing you ED, you suffer from anxiety, ADHD, OCD, or depression.”

stargazer76 October 2, 2020

“From my experience Effexor is a very effective treatment for depression and anxiety. I took it for 10 years at a dose of 150mg and felt great. I stopped 3 months ago and already depression is returning, so today I'm going back on! Yes the side effects can be grim but for me it was only when being late with dose or quitting. But overall I think its worth it for not having to suffer depression and anxiety everyday!”

Feeling Sane September 10, 2019

“I was prescribed Venlafaxine for major depression and debilitating anxiety while going through a massive life crisis (business and relationship divorce and resulting bankruptcy) about three years ago. My depression was my own worse enemy as when I needed to be sharp and confident for attorneys, I was a sobbing mess. My anxiety was debilitating and turned into panic attacks. While I don't think I would have taken my life, I certainly wasn't afraid to die. The crisis is finally behind me, and I have tapered from 225mg to 37.5mg over the last 3 months. The only downsides were, for me, cognitive function, apathy, and poor memory. I was unable to orgasm on the 225 mg dosage. It is important to mention that I did not get through this with drugs alone. I had a strong network of friends, family, attorneys, and healthcare professionals. Do not be ashamed of your mental health crisis! Be honest with yourself and your friends and seek professional help!”

Kimeska February 24, 2020

“WORST 48hrs of my entire life. First day I took it Effexor (dose 37.5mg) with my 300mg of Wellbutrin and I got to work and couldn’t even walk in a straight line. Went home and figured maybe I just shocked my system and slept it off. Next day I took the same dosage. First came the spaced out phase where I couldn’t remember where I was or what I was doing. The tremors? So violent that I couldn’t walk or talk or hold things. My husband came home to find me in the fetal position on the floor shaking violently. Let’s not forget hearing and seeing things that weren’t there. Another thing I noticed was that one second I was laughing then the next crying. It was so scary and I couldn’t stop it from happening. Stopped taking it. It’s been 2 days now and I still have tremors. Can’t eat. And the only thing that will stop the tremors is 1mg of Ativan. This drugs ruined my life in 48hrs. I will never recommend it to anyone. Worst 2 days of my life and it’s still going.”

The Listener June 23, 2019

“Sure saved the quality of my life. I was not suicidal; I was more like the guy who didn't care if the plane crashed. I took Effexor for 8 years. After that time period it had been a long, long time since I had felt depressed, so I began to taper off. I think it probably took me a couple of months to get completely off. I have been off for 5 years. I learned a lot about clinical depression and how to treat it. If my depression ever returns I will not hesitate to go back to Effexor.”

Freebyrde · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2019

“I would just like to point out that every single person is different and adjusts to these medications differently. I had 3 suicide attempts before accepting medication and was put on Effexor. Effexor changed my life, until it didn’t. For 2 years it helped me to function normally, I went back to work, the suicidal ideation ceased and I was able to manage my depression. After a long time though I felt numb and wanted to get off of it. No one ever warns you about coming off Effexor. There is a whole group on Facebook just for coming off it. The withdrawals are worse than any drug I know. I counted every day. It was 12 days of agony before I felt any sort of relief. It was pure, utter awfulness. But I look back and think of what Effexor did for me when I first started this medication, and it gave me my life back. So despite the horrible effects coming off this drug, it still helped me immensely.”

Mustang Jack · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2013

“I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I.”

sleejoh January 28, 2008

“I have been on effexor xr for about 8 years now, I currently am taking 300 mg per day, I tried to commit suicide several times before going on effexor, I had been on so many different antidepressants I thought this was how my life was always going to be my children slowly watching me sleep and then eventually die. The doctor put me on effexor and it was the best thing ever.”

Roolanda April 29, 2014

“I had severe hellish, unrelentless depression and did not want to live, I started taking Effexor and it worked the same day. I never thought something could work so well. I have few side effects. My life changed 100%. I am so happy now that the doctor put me on this. People should not be afraid to try anti-depressants.”

Anonymous February 16, 2014

“I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you.”

lavendarles December 16, 2014

“This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!”

Jeronimo · Taken for 10 years or more September 28, 2020

“Took 75 mg Effexor for 21 years. Dr said to come off and for 6 weeks I weaned off of this hard to quit drug. So now I stop taking it and 8 days later I'm still having the brain zaps. If you start taking it be prepared to experience a living nightmare if you want to quit. It did nothing to help me.”

Charlie's girl November 3, 2011

“My boyfriend passed away...very unexpectantly.We had a wonderful, beautiful relationship...I simply adored him and overnight he's gone. The next day my little brother had open heart surgery, my sister passed away last March after living and taking care of my father with dementia, my mother passed away after a 3 year long battle with cancer. I wanted to stay in bed all day curled up in the fetal position and pray that death would take me just so the pain would stop. But I didn't have that luxury...someone had to pay the bills. I hated to go out in public because I never knew what would trigger a crying jag...I had a true sense of hopelessness. 75 mgs of Effexor saved my life. I'm happy again and laughing and going out and celebrating my life.”

xyzpossum July 31, 2013

“I have taken Effexor on and off for nearly ten years for depression and anxiety brought on by a sudden traumatic situation. It took a week or so for the side effects to disappear when I first started. I felt so well that I weaned myself off it which took at least a week with side effects. I have done this twice thinking I was very well and able to cope which I do when I take the medication. However, I have come to realize that I need to stay on it and my husband now understands that it keeps me well, happy and balanced. If I miss a tablet I feel quite nauseous and a bit unbalanced even though I only take 75mg once a day. I have come to realize that there a lot of people out there, including many high profile people who need Effexor.”

Miss Tisay September 21, 2013

“I am 46 yrs old and have taken Effexor since 2000. It helps me balance myself. It really works and it calms myself down and relax. But never miss it for a day or so it will give you dizziness or nausea. I would let the people out there know that Effexor is the best antidepressant. It makes me focus my life on everything. Thank you for saving my life Effexor.”

Anonymous April 19, 2008

“I've been using 75mg Effexor for 9 weeks now and it has changed my life. I wake up looking forward to the day and can remain focused throughout. I woke up on my 30th Birthday feeling very depressed and could not believe that's how I felt everyday before taking Effexor. My libido is back to where it was a year ago and the only side effect I experience is an upset stomach during very intense work outs. I see a therapist and that too has helped. My wife says I'm now a different person.”

Tattie Soup · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2013

“I've been on this medication only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.”

Birdlover65 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2018

“I am amazed at all the comments that say, "this drug should be banned". Antidepressants of any kind work differently for different people. I tried Zoloft for a month, and in spite of the glowing reviews found it intolerable. I cried so much that I could barely leave the house. I had diarrhea constantly, (never have had diarrhea in my life). Switched to Effexor and felt like I had my life back again. Unbelievable change in my mood. Have been on tons of antidepressants for the last 40 years and so glad that something is working so far.”

Tepper August 2, 2014

“As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2019

“I've been on Effexor XR 37.5mg for 2 weeks now for anxiety and depression and am seeing good results already. Generally my mood is never stable, this medication has started to even everything out and I go through my days feeling content. My anxiety is subsiding and my mood and energy levels have increased. I find myself having tons of energy at times and not knowing what to do with myself, I am hoping that will even its self out. My first week of Effexor I had extreme fatigue and irritability that was difficult to deal with. So far my experience has been good and I am very hopeful. A lot of people go online to complain about their bad experiences, don't let that scare you away, everyone works differently.”

may2013 May 18, 2013

“I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better.”

Nikki · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2018

“Effexor changed my way of life completely. I couldn’t get out of bed to do minor house work. I can actually get things done now. I feel happy again, like I used to be. I want to make plans with friends now. I am just a nicer person. My panic attacks have stopped. I am pleasant to my spouse and children now. I feel I am in control of my life again.”

King Bean · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 4, 2014

“Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me.”

alge2060 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2020

“I was diagnosed with depression and GAD about 5 years ago and started Effexor. It worked well but anytime I drank alcohol I become a monster. I became violent and angry. I also lost the ability to sleep so I had to go on another medication for insomnia. Over time I realized I had become numb. I couldn't cry, feel any emotions and I lost the ability to enjoy anything. My panic attacks became debilitating. I became fearful to leave the house, drive etc. I ended up in the hospital and I was immediately taken off Effexor because i was diagnosed with panic disorder and it was not helping at all. I was at the highest dose and eventually came off. I'm still experiencing brain zaps from tapering off but since coming off I can feel again and cry a lot LOL. I started Zoloft today and am hoping to get my depression & panic disorder under control!”