User Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Effexor Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor

Kimeska February 24, 2020

“WORST 48hrs of my entire life. First day I took it Effexor (dose 37.5mg) with my 300mg of Wellbutrin and I got to work and couldn’t even walk in a straight line. Went home and figured maybe I just shocked my system and slept it off. Next day I took the same dosage. First came the spaced out phase where I couldn’t remember where I was or what I was doing. The tremors? So violent that I couldn’t walk or talk or hold things. My husband came home to find me in the fetal position on the floor shaking violently. Let’s not forget hearing and seeing things that weren’t there. Another thing I noticed was that one second I was laughing then the next crying. It was so scary and I couldn’t stop it from happening. Stopped taking it. It’s been 2 days now and I still have tremors. Can’t eat. And the only thing that will stop the tremors is 1mg of Ativan. This drugs ruined my life in 48hrs. I will never recommend it to anyone. Worst 2 days of my life and it’s still going.”

Drugs January 17, 2020

“I've been on Effexor for 3 or 4 months. So far I've noticed things are more pleasurable and I have a tiny bit more energy. Still have depressed days though. As for the anxiety... still there, and hasn't improved much. Panic attacks aren't as frequent or intense. But still get them. My anxiety is so bad it's to the point I can barely leave the house unless I really have to. If you're on this drug, you're going to want to stay on it and make sure you don't skip doses. I get major withdrawal symptoms like extreme dizziness, headaches. Make sure you ween off it. Overall, still depressed and definitely still anxious. The effects of relief are mild and sometimes hard to notice. I still rate it a 7 because if it has helped anything it's the panic attacks which are easily the worst mental experience you can go through aside from being tortured to death. It's very tormentuous. But because Effexor hasn't relieved much else, I'd consider trying something new.”

alge2060 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2020

“I was diagnosed with depression and GAD about 5 years ago and started Effexor. It worked well but anytime I drank alcohol I become a monster. I became violent and angry. I also lost the ability to sleep so I had to go on another medication for insomnia. Over time I realized I had become numb. I couldn't cry, feel any emotions and I lost the ability to enjoy anything. My panic attacks became debilitating. I became fearful to leave the house, drive etc. I ended up in the hospital and I was immediately taken off Effexor because i was diagnosed with panic disorder and it was not helping at all. I was at the highest dose and eventually came off. I'm still experiencing brain zaps from tapering off but since coming off I can feel again and cry a lot LOL. I started Zoloft today and am hoping to get my depression & panic disorder under control!”

Alex · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2019

“Reading reviews online WILL freak you out about this drug, and as someone who used it for panic disorder and extreme anxiety (as well as depression) these reviews on here DEFINITELY terrified me. First off, relax. Taking any new drug for the first time can be scary because your body's adjusting, but freaking out about any little symptom will only make your experience worse. Now on to my experience: The first couple weeks I experienced nausea and maybe a bit of sleeplessness? But nothing too crazy. Lost a bit of weight too as it suppressed my appetite. I really do believe this drug helped calm my nervous system enough so that I was able to function normally again, and so far after the first month I don't experience side effects at all. Don't be scared about all the wacky reviews, people can psych themselves out when influenced by others opinions.”

Flo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2019

“I wish I could have checked this medication prior to taking it. Unfortunately I was in a behavioral facility and had no access to the internet. The side effects are terrible From extremely dry mouth to being overly tired. I’m tapering off right now and hope I don’t have difficulties with that. Goodbye Effexor and good riddance.”

Anonymous September 20, 2019

“I was on apparently the lowest dose of 37.5mg for anxiety and I had the worst experience of my life. I had severe gut pains everyday and felt hypoglycaemic all the time. I thought my liver was going to give out it hurt so much. I was not myself. I was more anxious and depressed on the meds than I was off them. I couldn’t take it anymore and took myself off. Quitting cold turkey probably wasn't the best idea but make sure you go to your doctor to get tapered off properly first to avoid major withdrawal symptoms. I do not recommend this medication it’s not worth the risk.”

Momo · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

“I was only on this for a few days and had severe panic attacks, will never take a SNRI again!”

Feeling Sane September 10, 2019

“I was prescribed Venlafaxine for major depression and debilitating anxiety while going through a massive life crisis (business and relationship divorce and resulting bankruptcy) about three years ago. My depression was my own worse enemy as when I needed to be sharp and confident for attorneys, I was a sobbing mess. My anxiety was debilitating and turned into panic attacks. While I don't think I would have taken my life, I certainly wasn't afraid to die. The crisis is finally behind me, and I have tapered from 225mg to 37.5mg over the last 3 months. The only downsides were, for me, cognitive function, apathy, and poor memory. I was unable to orgasm on the 225 mg dosage. It is important to mention that I did not get through this with drugs alone. I had a strong network of friends, family, attorneys, and healthcare professionals. Do not be ashamed of your mental health crisis! Be honest with yourself and your friends and seek professional help!”

Freebyrde · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2019

“I would just like to point out that every single person is different and adjusts to these medications differently. I had 3 suicide attempts before accepting medication and was put on Effexor. Effexor changed my life, until it didn’t. For 2 years it helped me to function normally, I went back to work, the suicidal ideation ceased and I was able to manage my depression. After a long time though I felt numb and wanted to get off of it. No one ever warns you about coming off Effexor. There is a whole group on Facebook just for coming off it. The withdrawals are worse than any drug I know. I counted every day. It was 12 days of agony before I felt any sort of relief. It was pure, utter awfulness. But I look back and think of what Effexor did for me when I first started this medication, and it gave me my life back. So despite the horrible effects coming off this drug, it still helped me immensely.”

BetterDays · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 3, 2019

“I have been on 300mg for the past 5 years, I cannot handle the withdrawal symptoms as the feeling of being completely disconnected from reality is too intense let alone the nausea etc. I'm 25 and worry that this will eventually do irreversible damage. The side effects are not worth it for me but again, I cannot stop taking it even though I want to”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2019

“You better make damn sure your diagnosis is correct because if you are manic depressive instead of plain old depressed this medication could cause huge disruptions in normal life which it did to me ...twice.”

Greg August 10, 2019

“It ruined my life. Was on it for 13 years and tapered off it March 2018. Everyday intense cognitive problems, intense headaches and stomach problems. Even if I missed a dose I felt incredibly sick. I am disabled because if it. I'm 29.”

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

“This was the worst of of all medications i have tried for anxiety and depression. This antidepressant made me more depressed than I have ever been in my life and made me suicidal. I tried it for 6 weeks and now am in process of weaning off this dirty drug. Poison.”

Anonymous July 17, 2019

“I have finally had the courage to go through withdrawal symptom, agitation. Headaches, nausea, electric shock in my head. I am free of this drug and for the first time in years I feel like a human being. I am not alert, and feel a range of emotions. I was feeling nothing, numb for many years. This drug should be taken with great caution. I feel it is dangerous.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

“I have been on effexor CE 37.5mg for a month now. I was feeling better up until a few days ago, so I went and seen my Dr., so she upped my medication to 75 mg . So ever since she upped my dosage I've been having severe headache, neck pain, nausea, feeling like my depression is getting worse, no motivation, crying spells throughout the day. So I'm going to give it a few more day's and if I'm still feeling the same, I'm asking to get tapered off of it. I just don't feel like myself, I just feel depressed all over again before I started it. I'm scared to get tapered off tho because of the withdrawal symptoms I've been hearing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2019

“Hi, I have been taken Effexor for one year and a half. During my bad experience with medication I really found it the worst medicine had been launched in the market. I really don’t recommend it to anyone. ”

The Listener June 23, 2019

“Sure saved the quality of my life. I was not suicidal; I was more like the guy who didn't care if the plane crashed. I took Effexor for 8 years. After that time period it had been a long, long time since I had felt depressed, so I began to taper off. I think it probably took me a couple of months to get completely off. I have been off for 5 years. I learned a lot about clinical depression and how to treat it. If my depression ever returns I will not hesitate to go back to Effexor.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 21, 2019

“I used effexor 5 months daily dose 150 mg with alprazolam which the doctor has prescribed, but I am still depressed and have insomnia.”

DR May 6, 2019

“I have been taking Effexor for just over a year for comorbid depression and anxiety. My doctor tried several medications to address my depression and anxiety and Effexor proved to be the most effective. I started on 25mgs and went to 50mgs, which basically did nothing. It was when it was increased to 75mgs that I really noticed a difference. The trouble was that my motivation and energy levels dropped incredibly. I really struggled with foggy brain and forgetting everything. Also, rapid weight gain. I gained 6 kilos in less than a month and continued to gain over the next several months a total of 9 kilos. I was careful with what I ate and when I ate, but I still gained. We are switching the meds currently and the detox it brutal. I have been tapering for over a month and I am on day 3 of being completely off of it and I am still experiencing horrible withdrawal symptoms. The electric-like surges are painful and scary. The side effects just don't seem worth it and I will be happy when it is out of my system.”

Effexoruser April 26, 2019

“Was on lexapro for anxiety and depression but it just wasn’t helping so I switched to Effexor and I've definitely seen improvements. I used to have to take Xanax before work every morning but now I don’t. Highly recommend. Just remember to never skip a dose or you’ll feel terrible, my doctor told me.”

Unknown · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2019

“I had the worst depression and anxiety. I was taking Zoloft and it quit working. I am now taking Effexor and my anxiety completely went away! I was having to take Xanax throughout the day for my anxiety before I took Effexor. I now no longer have to take Xanax, I had NO side effects from Effexor and my depression is completely gone and my anxiety. The only thing it did not help is that I have no energy. I feel tired and fatigued and have no motivation to do anything. I also have had no problem sleeping at night.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2019

“I've been on Effexor XR 37.5mg for 2 weeks now for anxiety and depression and am seeing good results already. Generally my mood is never stable, this medication has started to even everything out and I go through my days feeling content. My anxiety is subsiding and my mood and energy levels have increased. I find myself having tons of energy at times and not knowing what to do with myself, I am hoping that will even its self out. My first week of Effexor I had extreme fatigue and irritability that was difficult to deal with. So far my experience has been good and I am very hopeful. A lot of people go online to complain about their bad experiences, don't let that scare you away, everyone works differently.”

Em January 7, 2019

“I started taking Effexor about 2 years ago now. At first a started at the lowest dose and found it did nearly nothing for me. However over time as we slowly increased it I found my depression did majorly decrease. I had been unable to get out of bed, had suicidal thoughts, no interest in relationships before beginning the drug. After about 6 months I found I was managing my depression much better. However it is still a daily fight. I also found I have a huge drop in sex drive due to the medication.”

Sazzlemo · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 27, 2018

“My experience with this drug was horrific. At 150mg I hit a new low, I was impulsive, severely anxious and constantly in tears. I was so desperate to be off this med I went cold turkey. Huge mistake. Developed discontinuation syndrome. Fever, tremors, panic attacks, vertigo, hives, flu-like symptoms, night terrors, constant vomiting. Got to the point I couldn’t even keep down water. By day 6 I was hospitalized with severe dehydration and exhaustion. Was immediately hooked up to an IV to replace fluids and given anti-sickness meds. Doctors introduced a lower dose and am now tapering. Down to 18 mg so nearly there. Have to take it slowly as I’m extremely sensitive to this medication. Another 2 weeks and I will be free of it. Can't wait to have my life back!”

Anon October 28, 2018

“Had one dose of 37.5 mg and had nausea, shaking, chills, what felt like ice water through my veins. It's been 4 days and have yet to recover and have two panic attacks a day versus when I never had any before. I switched back to Zoloft yesterday, hopefully I will be better in the weeks to come.”