User Reviews for Effexor (Page 2)

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

"Was very depressed and couldn't sleep. Started on 37.5mg twice a day then doubled. My mood has improved a little but not my sleep. No interest in sex. Can't eat - have lost two stones. Don't know what to do for the best! Not suicidal anymore at least."

Sally867463 January 16, 2016

"Awesome! Changed my life for the better completely. Side effects are minimal but my mood has stabilized like never before. I wish I was medically compliant earlier. This stuff has changed my life for the better!"

Aussie Paul (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

"This is a terrible pill and I wouldn't recommend anybody to start this med unless you are ready for the bad side effects of coming off of this med when it doesn't work . This med cause me to lose about 3 years of memory lose and almost my marriage."

Ellen43 (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2016

"I tried Effexor about eight ago, for a few weeks. Terrible medication! Racing thoughts, my anxiety level went skyrocketing. Soon when I started using the drug, I started to emerge strong and badly violent obsessive thoughts, albeit I am usually very kind, easy going and non violent person. No, I did not implement these thoughts, thank goodness, because I understood theme as obsessive thoughts, which were caused by the drug. I had no appetite and had to force my self to eat or drink. It was really scary. It took weeks to recovery. I was suggested to try it again last year, I said absolutely no! Never!"

Kristiina (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"I was given Effexor after Lexapro stopped helping me. I was on it approx 1 year. But what I know now, that I wish I would have known then.....the withdrawals are horrible!!! I am dizzy all the time, feel like the room is spinning. Pharmacist said this could last up to 3 months. I went off of it very slowly! I have been without it for about a month now. I have never been an addict of any kind, but I feel like one with this. I know that taking more will make these side effects go away, and I think about this pill all day every day. PLEASE research before you start this medication. I would not wish this on my worst enemy!!"

911Dispatcher December 21, 2015

"I would highly recommend this medication. I tried multiple SSRI's like prozac, zoloft, abilify, and welbutrin and this worksd far better than those. For once I actually feel happy, talkative, and good. Do not stop taking this medication cold turkey or withdrawal effects will be bad. You should always taper over an extended period of time."

johncena December 11, 2015

"I have been on Zoloft, Lexapro and Effexor. Effexor has been the one that worked for me, the other two were nightmares. I took Effexor during a particular bad time after high school and it saved my life. I had wanted to die back then. Just recently these past couple years I've noticed my depression creeping back and the death of a family member has added some anxiety in there as well. I told my doctor I needed something or I was gonna spiral downward. I am taking the lowest dosage 37.5 MG I believe. It's been two weeks and I've had some expected side effects. Nausea, constipation, trouble sleeping, and a little bit of dizziness. Nothing terrible. Within three or four days I noticed a change. It's worked for me and I'm glad I'm back on it."

acadia05 December 10, 2015

"I've been on depression and anxiety medicine my whole life. I've dealt with some crappy medications EFFEXOR was by far the worst thing ever. I'm a 20 year old college student so I need to always be motivated. This medicine has caused everything in my life to go down hill. My grades are falling, I'm constantly angry, and feel sick and not wanting to eat. I LOVE TO EAT so this concerned me very much. And today I wasn't able to get my pills refilled in time, because I've been ridiculously lazy. So now I'm going through the flu symptoms that come along with this medication if you don't take it. I feel like balling my eyes out. Because every move I make right now makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Don't take this medication. It's not worth it."

Moe20 December 1, 2015

"I wanted to be happy and better liked all around. Well, depression subsided, was able to apply for jobs, handled my father's death better than I should have (numb.) Landed a job with the post office, thought Effexor was sent from the heavens. Wrong! Gave me severe blurred vision. I first thought that maybe I needed new glasses. So, I told myself I'd make that my first priority when I get my first check from the post office. Well, I was hired for a job that requires driving. Needless to say, I lost my job immediately after I had gotten the job due to unable to see things (curbs, street signs, license plates) clearly. Been off for over a month, and vision remains blurred. Have reapplied at PO, no call backs."

Kcscholvin November 26, 2015

"I had been on cipralex (lexapro) for about a year when I noticed I was feeling too tired all the time for my liking. I asked about SNRI's because they tend to give more "energy". I got switched to Effexor and didn't have a good experience at all. I couldn't stop thinking about terrible things, I had bad anxiety, excessive sweating at night and my heart would race too much too often. I had to get off after 9 weeks because it was not working for me at all. It made me really appreciate the escitalopram I was taken before. Clearly different antidepressants work differently for others. I'm just sharing my own experience. Some may do really well on Effexor, unfortunately I didn't."

mcpickle November 24, 2015

"If i could i would give this a 0. i was put on Effexor for anxiety, the little depression that i had and i was told by my doctor that it would help with nausea. All was fine for a while, but when i ran out of the pills i would get very violently ill and could barely see straight. Effexor messed with me emotionally, it made me more depressed and had a opposite effect on me. NOW getting off the pills was the worst. it took 6 months from 150mg to 0. brain zaps, could barely walk in a straight line, walls would be moving and feeling sick 24/7. My advise to anyone is take Effexor with caution and just remember your body will become dependent on Effexor."

kingproductions18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2015

"I was prescribed effexor on Monday and I have had the worst experience with it. Its now Saturday and I can't sleep for more than like 2 hours at a time I can't eat and I feel so foggy worst experience ever"

Rachaelrs October 31, 2015

"Burned areas on the tongue with discoloration and blisters"

Rnbsnjd October 23, 2015

"I am now in the final phases of weaning off effexor. When I started this drug I thought it was amazing, it was a miracle drug I wasn't having my usual major mood swings and panic attacks were less, but as the weeks went on it was less an less effective. I missed a pill once and made sure that I never did again because of the immediate withdrawal I had felt worse than I ever had before. About 4 months into taking this drug I started to experience side effects and oh man are they awful! I mistook the side effects and thought increasing the dose would fix the issue, but nope it just increased the severity .So now I am in the final stages of discontinuing effexor and I feel awful. I wouldn't advise not taking the drug, as it works great for some."

Kat782 October 13, 2015

"Was on Effexor for a little over a year and a half. I am a 25 year old female, approximately 5'5". When I began taking this medication I was sitting around 165, I was prescribed 37.5 mg after switching doctors due to moving, everything worked fine until I was on it for about 6 months, no side effects, no crazy reactions. After the 6 month period I began feeling slower, less emotion, yet increased anger at little things a couple of times a month. Forgetting this pill was never an option as the nausea and headaches were out of control. I finally went back yesterday to be switched off it to something different and was prescribed Wellbutrin, so today is my first full day off and my clarity is slightly back just beginning a day without it."

Bmerce02 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2015

"I was put on EFFEXOR for depression & anxiety. (Was on PAXIL for many years) I told the nurse /practitioner I felt pretty good but always wondered if there was "something better"After starting on EFFEXOR I did have vivid dreams,and headachy,nausea & dizziness and unable to have an intense orgasm (always fell short.)The big problem came when I ran out of pills and they wouldn't refill until I saw a nurse. So w/o my pills for 3 days..OMG! Terrible withdrawals..dripping w sweat,terrible headaches, insomnia, nausea, diarrhea to feeling hopeless & extreme dizziness AWFUL!!! DON'T RUN OUT! I was terrified of going off the pill (switching to wellbutrin) Day two on 1/2 tab and so far so good!:) effexor may have its place..just not w ME!:) you need to wean off them slowly!!!"

51 yr old woman October 8, 2015

"Effexor has helped me, but it took weeks for the initial side effects to go down enough for me to be comfortable. I could hardly eat and sleep for a week. It got better over time, but it was painfully slow and after a few weeks on the stuff, I was exhausted. The side effects never went away completely but I can manage to eat and sleep enough now. Effexor also makes me have really intense, long, complex dreams. They are usually quite interesting and I enjoy having them for the most part. Sometimes its hard getting back to the real world after having woken up with such interesting stories and intricating plotlines in my head, but its worth it in my opinion. Life is more manageable now."

DiegoXander October 5, 2015

"Horrible experience, although everyone is different. I was on 150mg, I am currently tapering off while switching to Welbutrin. With Effexor tapering is necessary. I've tried going off cold turkey and the withdrawals are like nothing I've ever experience. I had intense brain zaps (google it), flu like symptoms, could easily sleep half a day away. Even if you miss one day, you experience these withdrawal symptoms. While on it, it only worked somewhat well for a month or so. I experienced light nausea which went away. I also experienced impotence and unable to climax which has not gone away. Now that I'm tapering and introducing Welbutrin the sexual side effects seem to be getting better."

Brockmeow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2015

"I was given this medication after a major panic episode and I noticed a good change a few weeks after taking it. It helps your mind wander and not focus on the bad things. It also just made me a generally happier person. However, I skipped a few days (I'm on the 75mg) and the side effects were terrible. I got hot flashes, awful nightmares, I was so dizzy I could barely walk, I was disoriented and couldn't focus on anything, and I was absolutely exhausted. I started taking it normally again but it makes me a little nervous to stop taking it permanently... Before taking this medication I would definitely weigh "do I want to be on this for a really long time?" Or "I can tough this out.""

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2015

"I have been taking Effexor for several years, first starting at 50, 75 then 150mg. As far as treating my depression it has been the best. I am a totally different person when taking it. I do have weird dreams, but I would rather have those than be a living nightmare in reality. What I do not like about Effexor is that it excaberates my chronic constipation condition. I have tried taking other anti-depressants, but they did not work as well treating my depression as Effexor."

N.L. August 24, 2015

"I just started about two weeks ago. I completely see a difference in myself for the better. My children are even noticing the difference in my reactions to basic things. I won't say I don't feel anything..but this is a period in my life...feeling nothing is what I need. I am able react to situations with logic. Instead of being on the emotional roller coaster all the time! I was suicidal two weeks ago. I took my kids zip-lining yesterday. I needed this. I'll deal with the withdraws later..this medication saved my life. I work out 4days a week so no energy loss. I don't feel a change in my appetite yet. I did have headaches yesterday briefly. dreams.. falling dream a few times. No weight gain so far. Sex. I don't have a desire yet."

My life matters now August 23, 2015

"I was on Effexor for over 10 yrs. I finally got off this in Dec. 2013 and as of today, July 2015, I'm still having those brain zips several times a day. Last July, I started with a vibration and severe pain in my feet. It's all nerve connected and I think it's from long term use of Effexor. This medication works great for depression but the side effects are not worth it."

KYL August 4, 2015

"I was prescribed Effexor for anxiety and depression and while it does work in some ways, it is not worth it. I was taking 75 mg once a day and it seemed to make me feel calmer and a little more at ease at first, but the side effects made me decide to stop it, and coming off was terrible. My side effects were inability to get any good sleep, taking forever to climax during sex, and never being able to get anything done. The overall feeling I felt was that everything just seemed blunted. Once I stopped the withdrawals were horrible. I felt hungover for about 4 days. In addition to that during the withdrawal time I would sometimes feel like I could just explode and punch a hole in the wall for no reason. Would never try again."

Adam m July 29, 2015

"My experience with Effexor was absolutely terrible. I was prescibed this for my depression (3rd medication I tried) The reason I gave it 2/10 was because I didn't feel any worse mentally on this (did not feel the slightest bit better either), but if it wasn't for that I would have given it a 0/10 if possible. The side effects and withdrawal was absolutely terrible. The head "zaps" started to cause unbearable migraines, I had no appetite, and my vision was blurred some days. The withdrawal was something I've never experienced before and I hope that I will never have to go through it again. I was completely bed ridden due to the unbearable migraines, sweating, and vomiting. Everyone is different, but this did not work out for me."

Jessie62 July 20, 2015

"Works Pretty well. Yet Its Terribly Hard To Stop The Pill. Horrible WithDrawls"

Miss Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2015