User Reviews for Effexor (Page 2)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Effexor.

Autism

Postpartum Depression
4.7

Summary of Effexor reviews 6.7 311 reviews

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "Tapered off generic citalopram 40mg after 12 years just didn't work anymore then tried Effexor after reading great reviews. I took 75mg a day and into the 3rd week I had severe pounding migraines pressure behind my eyes nausea dizziness/brain zaps that were constant crying fits insomnia but vivid active dreams when I did sleep, body chills, leg twitches and severe terrible neck soreness. All these symptoms were happening at the same time and few times had hard pounding fast heart beats that I almost called 911. I think it may have been moderate serotonin toxicity. If you start this med start at the lowest possible dose. It shocks your body. Doc wants me to try Prozac but will talk to my psychiatrist first. Bad withdrawal symptoms too"

Aurelius81 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This drug is absolutely horrible. I was prescribed Effexor 75mg twice a day. After lunch day ONE I take my first dose. Needless to say the intense vomiting, pins and needles up my spine into the back of my head and fire burning sensation in my spine, blurred vision, severe tremors, seeing colors and spots all over the place, my eyes starting rolling to the back of my head, passing out. Almost landed me in the ER. Called my doctor and got switched off immediately. That was by far the worst medication I have ever taken. I have been on Celexa 40mg until it stopped working and now I am on Prozac. I clearly can't handle an SNRI like that. I felt like I was going to die. Be highly cautious. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

CatieL February 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am a 33 yr old woman with Anxiety, irritabilty, ocd . I have been on many different medications since i was 18. My new doctor finally sent me to a psychologist to see if effexor was the right drug for me after being on it for 18 months with some improvement but not great improvement. At the time I was on 75 mg a day. The psychologist upped my dosage to 200 mg a day. Since then I have had very slight anxiety, and only when even a normal person would have a panic attack. My OCD is manageable. And I no longer wish everyone dead. I have had 0 side effects what so ever. Only thing I have noticed is when i miss a couple days, (mom of 3 it happens), all my problems come back 100%. I never take my meds at the same time and have never had withdrawal."

Breeder (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Had been taking Zoloft 50mg about a year, then when my life stress increased, it wasn't helping me cope well. Im also taking Generic Adderal 10mg 2x daily which helps more with mood, focus, and anxiety. Since generic effexor is working so well for my daughter, I had asked my Psychiatrist if I could try it. From day one it seemed like a miracle and for about half a year I felt pretty normal. Doc thought 75mg dose was too low, but once I went up in dose. I started the downward spiral of side effects. On day 3 now, taking zoloft 50mg again, per the doc, but feel horrible, physically and ever so crazy now and then. I'm older female and sure don't need this. Wouldn't suggest this med to anyone over 30 because it's so nasty to change from."

Crazydaisy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Awful awful drug! I was put on this when I was 18 and was up to 150 mg for 7-8 months. If you literally took this med 5 min later than your scheduled time you would get withdrawal symptoms. The worst are what they call brain zaps which feels like your brain is getting electrocuted and the shocks travel all through your body to the tips of your toes and finger. I weened off and had these symptom for 4 months before they dissipated !! Also was on constant panic while weening off for weeks thinking I was dying. Never again"

Anonymous person January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "This drug seems to have helped. I've just gone up to 225mg. Profuse sweating and the rapid withdrawal are the worst."

MDewey (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on this medication for at least a year and a half. I started out with Celexa which at the highest dose completely stopped working for me, I was in a panic, cry for help. I became so much more depressed and my behaviors were so impulsive. My Dr started me of Effexor and what a difference this medication has made in my life. My mood became stable, I am no longer angry at the world, and l don't have the desire to go back to the way I was before Effexor. Remember everyone, we are all individualized, some things may with for others better than ourselves!"

AwesomeME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication has been life changing for me. Even after my first dose I was feeling like "me" again which I haven't felt like in 7 years. I'm much more calm and relaxed about life and when things happen I can deal with them in a positive manner. I will say the one downfall of this drug is the side effects if you miss even ONE dose. I've been on it for about 4 months now and I missed my first dose yesterday, which was my fault because I forgot the pharmacy closes early on Sunday's and was too late picking it up. "

BlytheMarie January 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I read all the reviews and still thought I could beat the odds and it "might" work for me. The first day of taking it I was so shaky, nauseous, and it made me even more depressed than usual. I am not on any other meds so I figured I would try this first since my doctor just kept recommending it to me. NEVER AGAIN!!! Even if you think your that 1 in a million who won't get the side effects don't risk it!! There's so many others out there to try it's not even worth the one day of being suicidal and miserable"

Rje877 January 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Have been taking this for over 5 yrs and have found it to be pretty good overall. Have had no side effects like the ones mentioned here by others so it's obviously very individual. Have noticed recently tho that its effectiveness has been waning so am now on Mirap to try to boost my depression am completely drowsy nearly all the time!?"

Dinnikins (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication was by far the worst antidepressant have taken. The first month I seemed to do very well on it, after a year on it, I hit rock bottom mentally. It caused more terrible symptoms than what was beneficial to me. I had weird brain zaps that left me in bed for days, sleep disturbances, attention seeking behavior, as well as OCD that I had never experienced previously. It took forever to get off this terrible drug and I call it a terrible drug because your brain and body get physically addicted the way a street drug would, you miss 1 day and you start having severe withdrawals, sweats, extreme brain zaps, feeling out of touch w/reality/strange thoughts. After a month of being off Effexor, All of the bad stuff stopped."

Depressed4life (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Horrible drug. Do not take this. I was up to 250 mg before I decided to quit cold turkey. I was hearing things, nauseous, seeing things. I thought I was going insane. I was a first timer in meds and I had to work on top of it. I fully trusted the doctor to prescribe me the right meds. The doctor laughed me off when I told him what I went through. I thought I was going to die. After taking this drug I can never trust doctors again. It ruined me. He acted like it was no big deal. Do not take this drug lightly. I'm so surprised that dotors are so cautious about giving benzos but not antidepressants. They only care about the money they are getting paid by big pharma. Don't get me wrong some meds work. But be careful you only get one brain"

Truestory3uu4u4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Well no experience more like question I was just prescribed this drug but I see so many bad reviews so I'm scared for dear life to try it but I need something to work I was on Zoloft 50 mg but it did nothing what else can I get on that I won't have awful side effects like these reviews"

Raeb26 January 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This drug ruined my life. It made me delusional, paranoid, aggressive, short tempered. As a result I lost my partner, my job and my house. Don't take it!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I just starting taking it about a month ago. I have all of the common side effects. My only concerning side effect is decreased urination and anorgasma. I am a female. Has any one else experienced this?"

Musbjeli (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication was interestingly paradoxical for me. While it was rather effective in treating the ailments as it was advertised to, it failed in another, very important area. Withdrawal from the medication needs to be undertaken over a period of several weeks gradually weaning the patient off the medication and supplementing with short term additional medications. While the medication is effective I would personally recommend drugs that affect GABA (i.e. Xanax, Clonazepam, Valium) to help the patient when stopping medication and also to keep in reserve in case of a shortage or stoppage of the medication. Please be careful with this drug. There are other drugs, and isomers, that are safe and effective as well."

Silent Harambe December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Been on Effexor for fourteen years. It makes Ocd worse and PTSD worse and my depression worse. I don't care what these negative reviews say, I am switching from this crap drug to another antidepressant. I feel fourteen years of my life have been ruined and I was lied to by the medical profession, they never told me how terrible this drug was and how it makes paranoia and OCD and PTSD worse. Oh and I can't eat oats or wheat or cheese or margarine or butter as it gives me drowsiness and unbeatable tiredness.Effexor should be banned, its ruined my life and I can't wait to come off it and go on another drug."

Hildaream (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Please please please.......If your doctor suggests this drug to you, do your research. I am 18 and just put full trust in my doctor when she told me to take it. 7 months later and I wish I never ever took it. I usually take my 150mg dose when I wake up in the morning and now I cannot even go until 11 pm at night if I forget to take it without having withdrawals. I experience nausea and feel uneasy on my feet as well as shakiness. It is ridiculous and I write this to stress that this is not a light topic. BE CAREFUL!!!!!"

Hayleyc111 November 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I started taking Effexor following an unexpected divorce that left me feeling a significant grief and anxiety for my children's future. I never had suicidal thoughts before, during or after taking this drug. I took it for 2 years and I don't know if it helped me, or if it was the meditation (Qigong) or acceptance and reflection. Some side effects included increased libido, occasional little spasms of the diaphragm muscle (at the base of the lungs), and strange and vivid dreams. Missing only one dose sent me into what is known as "brain zaps", and feels just like electrical zaps in the brain, together with sensory dissociation. This is the main reason I was afraid to stop taking it."

Le Pierrot November 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on Effexor now for almost 6 months. I take a combined dose of 75mg and 150mg at once( 225mg) I started at 150 and was given the 75mg a few days later to help with my anxiety. The meds do make me " numb" to emotions, and it does help with my depression and anxiety. I have good and bad days. Sometimes my meds will make me sick to my stomach, I often feel dizzy and feel brain zaps, and " electrical" zaps down my arms and fingers. It often takes away my appetite, and have lost weight I often struggle with constapation too. And sometimes it makes the voices, depression and anxiety worse. Compared to other meds in the past, Effexor is better. On good days I feel better and turn from realistic view point in the world to a more positive"

Hannah626 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "If you are thinking about taking this, do not do it. Ask your doctor for something else, anything else. Effexor is horrible. I was put on it due to Depression and Generalised Anxiety. Within the first few weeks I was emotionally numb, I wasn't sad anymore but I couldn't feel happiness. Six months later, while still on this I became suicidal and self harming, my heart rate started increasing due to my anxiety to the point where I was hospitalised. After that it was decided I was so come off it, now coming off it is even worse then being on it, shaking, dizziness, headaches, puking, sweating. I've only been off it a week and already I can feel my mental health calming down. Avoid this drug. Please. For your own safety."

ErinShannon November 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Horrible experience with this drug. It has a very short half life, so you must take it at the exact same time every day or you will become extremely nauseated. Then you have to wean yourself off of it. It was a nightmare. I now take 100 mg of Zoloft each day and that is perfect."

Texasteacher63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I'm lucky enough to have showed side effects the first day! I started Venlaflaxine 6:00am before work and experienced so much energy I barely knew what to do with it. This was nice considering I am always tired, but the energy came along with clenched jaw, dialated pupils, and no appetite what so ever. When I got home to try to sleep at 10pm I was not able to. I had so much anxiety from thinking I heard things that weren't there. I was shaking from anxiety and being so abnormally cold. Woke up all night long and at one point was wet from sweat. Thanks to these early side effects and others stories I only needed to take this drug one day to decide I need to stay away from it."

Sademc October 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "My Doctor is bad and suggested this medicine. I've tried lots of different ones nothing has helped in 10 yrs. She stated it would help my pain , hot flashes and menopause. I came home took a 37.5 mg at 8pm and by 11 pm I was sick - my stomach hurt so bad I vomited and I was hot / cold , my pupils were dilated , I could not control my emotions or my stomach , I threw up againe. I've been a nervous wreak for 36 hrs. I woke up with a terrible right side headache, muscle ache in my jaw or my right eye, feeling sick to my stomach. I only took 1 pill its the worst medication , ever , I've been on lots of meds , but nothing has ever done this. I do not recommend this pill to anyone. I'm just trying to get it out of my system , please read all reviews before you try it."

shellbe (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am extremely disheartened in reading the negative reviews. I have taken Effexor since 1993. I began taking 37.5 mg and later lived for one year in a private psychiatric hospital for a suicide attempt. My psychiatrist, then the President of the American Psychiatric Association, increased my dose to 600 mg per day. This miracle drug kept and still keeps me alive some 23 years later. I have experimented with not taking this or any medication. I never presented with any withdrawal symptoms. However, like clockwork, on the 3rd day w/o it I begin to cry tears over nothing. By the 4th day I find myself in the midst of severe depression. within an hour of beginning my regimen again, I am back to my normal. Do not be afraid to try this medicati"

Plugcov October 22, 2016