User Reviews for Effexor (Page 2)

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

4.7
Summary of Effexor reviews 249 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "if you want to try this drug, make sure you're prepared to either stay on it forever or be able to take at least 1 month off from your life to try to get this out of your system. I've been on other psychiatric drugs and I'm all for them. They really help get you through rough episodes, therefore I'm not a scathing anti drug, crunchy all natural person. However, I can say this is one nasty, nasty drug. I feel like I've been dumping poison in my system for the last 2 years. 3 weeks tapering VERY slowly and the room still spins, I can't move my eyes without intense brain zaps, and basically feel like a raging lunatic. If you've tried many other drugs and they haven't worked and this is a last resort then I say go for it, but with caution."

Button28 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2016

For Depression "I have tried nearly all anti depressant/anxiety medication and Venlafaxine has been one of the best for me. My mood is more balanced, my sleep is improved and I am more motivated than before starting the medication. The side effect of nausea lasts a short while after taking a dose ( 37.5mg 2 x daily for me) but the overall positive effects are worth while. I found that Venlafaxine has a quicker effect than other SNRI's with fewer side effects."

Anna Freud March 3, 2016

For Depression "I had a major breakdown and was hospitalized. My psychiatrist put me on effexor. I took it before bed and by 2 am I was running fever and felt like I had the flu. It was by far the worst medicine I have ever tried. EVER. I woul never take this again. I felt horrible all day the next day and wouldn't get out of bed. It was a nightmare."

calliekens March 2, 2016

For Depression "This med worked okay for me but then I get used to it and I have to increase it. I personally think that my body builds up a tolerance to it. If I take these meds late I get terrible night sweats. Coming off these meds was terrible. A GP advised me to go 'cold turkey' and I had nausea, vomiting, so much crying, felt hot and cold and dizziness. I also had some really bizarre dreams when coming off these meds. This med along with Cymbalta is hard to come off of."

Bright Star13 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 29, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I wish somebody had told me how addictive this drug is before I started taking it. Had I known how bad the withdrawal symptoms were, I probably would never have gone on it. (Although that might be a good thing, as I need(ed) to be on it.) It has definitely helped. The worst thing is HAVING to take it...literally. It's a full-out physical addiction. If we go somewhere and it doesn't get packed, I'm in trouble. It's NOT something to be taken for short-term or seasonally. Other than the withdrawals the main side effect is sweating. I shower every morning and by mid-afternoon I have to put Kleenexes or some sort of absorbing pad in my arm pits! In the past 17 years, I've also been on Paxil, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro, and one other."

Depression for 17+ years February 22, 2016

For Depression "The side effects are NOT WORTH dealing with! I've tried this medication twice and while it was the only drug I tried that helped my depression/anxiety, the side effects were killing me. I would feel sick for 3 hours after every dose, whether I would eat with it or not. It made me constantly hungry during the day. It caused me to be so exhausted and even angry. I finally weened off of this medicine after gaining almost 100 lbs in 5 years (3 years on, 1 year off, 1 year on, now off). I only went back on because I thought the weight gain was my fault and after losing so much of it, swore I'd never gain it back. Back on Effexor, back came the weight. I feel so much better off this medicine now and wouldn't recommend this drug to my worst enemy"

Meeves February 19, 2016

For Depression "Horrible. I never felt so bad in my life.. and never thought such horrible thoughts about myself and life.. I don't recommend this horrible medication at all!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2016

For Depression "Not worth the side effects and withdrawal symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2016

For Depression "I'm only 18 years old and I have been put on some of the worst drugs ever. From Zoloft, concerta to vevance to Prozac and now Effexor. Effexor was actually a little bit worse from Prozac with me. Both of these drugs I quit having regular periods. But, especially with Effexor I had cramps almost the whole month rather than the week of my period. I craved food less I found it difficulty to stay hydrated. I have nightmares almost every night. I've been on drugs since I was 13. Effexor makes everything difficult to remember. I've attempted to go cold turkey it does not work. The dizzy spells, muscle spasms, stomach cramps increase. When they wear off I find myself having more panic attacks and depressing thoughts. I'm only on the 75 mg."

Kittylover777 January 24, 2016

For Depression "I stopped taking Topamax for mood disorder due to side effects of tingling on fingers and legs. I was recently prescribed 75 mg Effexor ER for chronic depression the generic. I started on the JAN16th noticed be loss of appetite first day, and 21Jan16 weighed in at 228.2 from 234 @ 5'6. My mood has also improved, now I have a bit more energy, and feel hopeful despite my situation not looking that way. I will be adding Wellbutrin with my Effexor. I hope the depression continues to get better and hoping to lose 70-80 lbs. as well. Give it time if it isn't working try something until you find the pill(s) for you, different pills work for different people. We all deserve a better quality of life then we had before. Good Luck"

Queencess (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For Depression "Was very depressed and couldn't sleep. Started on 37.5mg twice a day then doubled. My mood has improved a little but not my sleep. No interest in sex. Can't eat - have lost two stones. Don't know what to do for the best! Not suicidal anymore at least."

Sally867463 January 16, 2016

For Depression "Awesome! Changed my life for the better completely. Side effects are minimal but my mood has stabilized like never before. I wish I was medically compliant earlier. This stuff has changed my life for the better!"

Aussie Paul (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

For Depression "This is a terrible pill and I wouldn't recommend anybody to start this med unless you are ready for the bad side effects of coming off of this med when it doesn't work . This med cause me to lose about 3 years of memory lose and almost my marriage."

Ellen43 (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2016

For Depression "I tried Effexor about eight ago, for a few weeks. Terrible medication! Racing thoughts, my anxiety level went skyrocketing. Soon when I started using the drug, I started to emerge strong and badly violent obsessive thoughts, albeit I am usually very kind, easy going and non violent person. No, I did not implement these thoughts, thank goodness, because I understood theme as obsessive thoughts, which were caused by the drug. I had no appetite and had to force my self to eat or drink. It was really scary. It took weeks to recovery. I was suggested to try it again last year, I said absolutely no! Never!"

Kristiina (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

For Depression "I was given Effexor after Lexapro stopped helping me. I was on it approx 1 year. But what I know now, that I wish I would have known then.....the withdrawals are horrible!!! I am dizzy all the time, feel like the room is spinning. Pharmacist said this could last up to 3 months. I went off of it very slowly! I have been without it for about a month now. I have never been an addict of any kind, but I feel like one with this. I know that taking more will make these side effects go away, and I think about this pill all day every day. PLEASE research before you start this medication. I would not wish this on my worst enemy!!"

911Dispatcher December 21, 2015

For Depression "I would highly recommend this medication. I tried multiple SSRI's like prozac, zoloft, abilify, and welbutrin and this worksd far better than those. For once I actually feel happy, talkative, and good. Do not stop taking this medication cold turkey or withdrawal effects will be bad. You should always taper over an extended period of time."

johncena December 11, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently on venlafaxine, 300mg/day, and have been on it for 6 months now. This stuff works beautifully for me. I had/have MDD, GAD, SAD, and took Paxil for 10 years, which worked quite well until 8 months ago. I was scared of switching because of the fact that not all anti-depressants work for everyone, and I was terrified of fully reverting back to my suicidal, petrified old self. My psychiatrist was able to convince me after a couple months to go for it. On the venlafaxine I feel calm, HAPPY, able to concentrate, mildly euphoric, and better than I did in my early days of taking Paxil. This stuff is hit or miss for different people, but don't be scared to try it if you haven't. And give it time to work."

Mike001 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

For Depression "I have been on Zoloft, Lexapro and Effexor. Effexor has been the one that worked for me, the other two were nightmares. I took Effexor during a particular bad time after high school and it saved my life. I had wanted to die back then. Just recently these past couple years I've noticed my depression creeping back and the death of a family member has added some anxiety in there as well. I told my doctor I needed something or I was gonna spiral downward. I am taking the lowest dosage 37.5 MG I believe. It's been two weeks and I've had some expected side effects. Nausea, constipation, trouble sleeping, and a little bit of dizziness. Nothing terrible. Within three or four days I noticed a change. It's worked for me and I'm glad I'm back on it."

acadia05 December 10, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I stopped taking this medicine briefly, for around 5 days, due to the "speed effect" and had to go right back on it, due to brain zaps!! I was (and still am) only taking 75 mg daily (once in the am). I take 1 mg of Xanax daily, but if I take it AFTER the Effexor, it won't work. I decided to switch it around and take it BEFORE the antidepressant and it works a LITTLE better, but not much. I used to take it early in the afternoon and was up all night. Now as long as I take it before 1 pm, I sleep fine. I've been taking it since January of 2014 and have noticed me being much calmer, still anxious at times, but much better before prescribed to me! It DOES cause, weight loss, drowsiness and fatigue if I take it while lying down."

Costillo December 7, 2015

For Depression "I've been on depression and anxiety medicine my whole life. I've dealt with some crappy medications EFFEXOR was by far the worst thing ever. I'm a 20 year old college student so I need to always be motivated. This medicine has caused everything in my life to go down hill. My grades are falling, I'm constantly angry, and feel sick and not wanting to eat. I LOVE TO EAT so this concerned me very much. And today I wasn't able to get my pills refilled in time, because I've been ridiculously lazy. So now I'm going through the flu symptoms that come along with this medication if you don't take it. I feel like balling my eyes out. Because every move I make right now makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Don't take this medication. It's not worth it."

Moe20 December 1, 2015

For Depression "I wanted to be happy and better liked all around. Well, depression subsided, was able to apply for jobs, handled my father's death better than I should have (numb.) Landed a job with the post office, thought Effexor was sent from the heavens. Wrong! Gave me severe blurred vision. I first thought that maybe I needed new glasses. So, I told myself I'd make that my first priority when I get my first check from the post office. Well, I was hired for a job that requires driving. Needless to say, I lost my job immediately after I had gotten the job due to unable to see things (curbs, street signs, license plates) clearly. Been off for over a month, and vision remains blurred. Have reapplied at PO, no call backs."

Kcscholvin November 26, 2015

For Depression "I had been on cipralex (lexapro) for about a year when I noticed I was feeling too tired all the time for my liking. I asked about SNRI's because they tend to give more "energy". I got switched to Effexor and didn't have a good experience at all. I couldn't stop thinking about terrible things, I had bad anxiety, excessive sweating at night and my heart would race too much too often. I had to get off after 9 weeks because it was not working for me at all. It made me really appreciate the escitalopram I was taken before. Clearly different antidepressants work differently for others. I'm just sharing my own experience. Some may do really well on Effexor, unfortunately I didn't."

mcpickle November 24, 2015

For Depression "If i could i would give this a 0. i was put on Effexor for anxiety, the little depression that i had and i was told by my doctor that it would help with nausea. All was fine for a while, but when i ran out of the pills i would get very violently ill and could barely see straight. Effexor messed with me emotionally, it made me more depressed and had a opposite effect on me. NOW getting off the pills was the worst. it took 6 months from 150mg to 0. brain zaps, could barely walk in a straight line, walls would be moving and feeling sick 24/7. My advise to anyone is take Effexor with caution and just remember your body will become dependent on Effexor."

kingproductions18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2015

For Depression "I was prescribed effexor on Monday and I have had the worst experience with it. Its now Saturday and I can't sleep for more than like 2 hours at a time I can't eat and I feel so foggy worst experience ever"

Rachaelrs October 31, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Don't take it. Your emotions become dull and feel fake. Even your laughter feels fake. Your sleep becomes horrible. You overeat because you don't care anymore. The first week you feel like you're on meth. It feels great. Then it wears away and you become a dull and empty mess with memory problems and no motivation to do anything including getting off of the medicine. It's easier just to take it. I'm in my second week of withdrawal. I would just take 8-10 beads when I would get dizzy and it would go away. ez-pz. My depression did come back even worse. Maybe it's my minds way of telling me I'm not doing anything to make my life better. Maybe I should change my life instead of taking a pill, especially this pill."

AnotherDanApparently (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2015