User Reviews for Effexor (Page 2)

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Postpartum Depression 2 reviews 7 medications

4.7
Summary of Effexor reviews 291 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "If you are thinking about taking this, do not do it. Ask your doctor for something else, anything else. Effexor is horrible. I was put on it due to Depression and Generalised Anxiety. Within the first few weeks I was emotionally numb, I wasn't sad anymore but I couldn't feel happiness. Six months later, while still on this I became suicidal and self harming, my heart rate started increasing due to my anxiety to the point where I was hospitalised. After that it was decided I was so come off it, now coming off it is even worse then being on it, shaking, dizziness, headaches, puking, sweating. I've only been off it a week and already I can feel my mental health calming down. Avoid this drug. Please. For your own safety."

ErinShannon November 22, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Horrible experience with this drug. It has a very short half life, so you must take it at the exact same time every day or you will become extremely nauseated. Then you have to wean yourself off of it. It was a nightmare. I now take 100 mg of Zoloft each day and that is perfect."

Texasteacher63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I'm lucky enough to have showed side effects the first day! I started Venlaflaxine 6:00am before work and experienced so much energy I barely knew what to do with it. This was nice considering I am always tired, but the energy came along with clenched jaw, dialated pupils, and no appetite what so ever. When I got home to try to sleep at 10pm I was not able to. I had so much anxiety from thinking I heard things that weren't there. I was shaking from anxiety and being so abnormally cold. Woke up all night long and at one point was wet from sweat. Thanks to these early side effects and others stories I only needed to take this drug one day to decide I need to stay away from it."

Sademc October 28, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "My Doctor is bad and suggested this medicine. I've tried lots of different ones nothing has helped in 10 yrs. She stated it would help my pain , hot flashes and menopause. I came home took a 37.5 mg at 8pm and by 11 pm I was sick - my stomach hurt so bad I vomited and I was hot / cold , my pupils were dilated , I could not control my emotions or my stomach , I threw up againe. I've been a nervous wreak for 36 hrs. I woke up with a terrible right side headache, muscle ache in my jaw or my right eye, feeling sick to my stomach. I only took 1 pill its the worst medication , ever , I've been on lots of meds , but nothing has ever done this. I do not recommend this pill to anyone. I'm just trying to get it out of my system , please read all reviews before you try it."

shellbe (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I am extremely disheartened in reading the negative reviews. I have taken Effexor since 1993. I began taking 37.5 mg and later lived for one year in a private psychiatric hospital for a suicide attempt. My psychiatrist, then the President of the American Psychiatric Association, increased my dose to 600 mg per day. This miracle drug kept and still keeps me alive some 23 years later. I have experimented with not taking this or any medication. I never presented with any withdrawal symptoms. However, like clockwork, on the 3rd day w/o it I begin to cry tears over nothing. By the 4th day I find myself in the midst of severe depression. within an hour of beginning my regimen again, I am back to my normal. Do not be afraid to try this medicati"

Plugcov October 22, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I read reviews but didn't listen...decided not to listen to that small voice in my head too that also agreed wow if the reviews are this awful its not worth it ...to be honest if your here reading this...there's a good chance you may try for yourself regardless ...I just think all the negative comments on here as per my experience are 110% truthful...anyone that is all for it scare me and i wonder if people are hired to write positive reviews for things and lie to others...maybe not lol but maybe so ..don't try this..."

Mindfulymiss (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "HI , dz . I wanted to share my expirience with effexor ( flaxyne) for anxiety , panic attack disorder and depression I m a 28 old girl I have been taking effexor 75 mg for years but no result at all then my ps augmented the dose to 225mg which works greatly now with all my disorders and I m also on 100mg sulpiride which blocks perfectly black persecutive ideas and help reduce my anxiety too but here is the prblm I faced an important lack of libido and anorgasmia and a delayed period due to high dose flaxyne probably , but after months I m taking an infusion of Fenugreek seeds I m not drinking every day but at least twice in 28 days and it really helped with the side effects of effexor ."

Mjdalina (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "This medication was the first to have any kind of positive emotional and physical effect on me. Not all medications work the same on everyone but this one sure worked on me."

Buddyholly99 October 19, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I never intended on writing a review but I feel that I need to share my experience. Like many others I looked here first for reviews and saw many negative thoughts and was hesitant. I've taken many other message and nothing worked for my anxiety. After 3 months, I have not had a single panic attack and I used to have them almost daily. Negative impacts are definitely the side effects. You need to be prepared. I took 3 weeks off work and suffered big time. Literally it was miserable, it was like having a hang over every day with terrible dirreah, cramps, etc.. But it goes away with time. Every day felt like being on extacy. It's pretty crazy. Long term side effects: trouble sleeping, vivid dreams, alcohol, and cigarette cravings."

Matt123456 October 15, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "This drug is awful. I started taking it for depression over 11 years ago and I've been on doses 75 mg up to 300mg. I'm currently taking 150mg and I'm so addicted. I've tried so many times to get off the drug and can't go longer than that third day. It will make u sick and crazy. My advice to anyone is never start it. It may as well be classified like painkillers and other addictive drugs. Please do not start this medication. Oh and btw I'm still very much depressed!!"

Shae C October 12, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Venlafaxine made me, dizzy, gave me nausea and diarrhea. My anxiety increased because of the severe stomach distress this medication caused me. I felt all around lousy. Took medication for 2 months hoping the symptoms would subside. The problems just got worse."

MeFrankMe October 11, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had been off all meds for 10 yrs when I had a major relapse and knew it was time to medicate again. Effexor is hard to get on, lots of dizziness and exhaustion. Also if I am late taking it I feel awful. Headaches, anxiety, mood swings. Don't ever miss a dose!! I can't stress this enough. Withdrawal hits hard and fast, even within 12 hours. Sweats, chills, headache, dreams, whole body pain. HOWEVER it does help me get through the day. I have suicidal depression and clinical anxiety, so for me it is worth some struggle to stay with Effexor because it does give me relief. It calms my brain, allows me to get moving with my day, and not have the threat of my own self-destructive tendencies."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "What can I say about this drug, I've been off it a year and still don't feel right. When I was on it it did not feel it helped with my depression. but My main problems started when trying to stop taking this drug, it made me hallucinate, I thought people where trying to kill me And i got weird electric shocks in my head (it got that bad I checked my self into mental health unit and they would not let me out for 2 weeks). I had to go back on the drug and come off it very slowly over about 3 months. I think now I have PTSD. Before taking this drug I only ever had depression and anxiety, but now I'm a total wreck I've lost my job my gf I've still not got over the shaking. I was only on a low dose for a short period of time."

James1980 October 5, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "If you want to hallucinate, lose all recollection of time since the drug enters your system, shake and sweat like a heroin addict, live in complete disarray, never talk to anyone ever again because it makes you hallucinate your friends and family are all there with you, even though you live alone... Then this is the drug for you. II was on it for Fibromyalgia and depression. It has been well after a year since I discontinued use AGAINST DOCTORS ORDERS and I still have headaches and electrical-type surges throughout my body. I took that USELESS drug for well over 3 years at its highest milligram and had to just flush them since the doctor refused to take me off of them. I had almost every single symptom listed on the manufacturer website. I STILL cannot remember those years. AWFUL!"

Worst drug ever! (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "On Pristique for two years with good results, then started getting really depressed. Doc prescribed 150 mg of Effexor for six weeks. I didn't feel any better and was having horrible nightmares and constipation. I was so disgusted so I weaned myself off over period of six weeks. I thought I was going insane, the nightmares increased and I was jumping out of bed during the night with leg cramps ,was nauseated and dizzy. When the dizziness got so bad that I fell down, I went to ER and they told me that was withdrawal symptoms and go back to doc. Now I am down to 37,5 mg a day. Nightmares not so severe but have terrible leg cramps. Hope to be off after one more week."

Anonymous September 19, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I Have been on this medication for 2+ years. I would not recommend a dosage higher than 37.5MG a day at 200lbs male. It keeps me awake and not having ADHD type symptoms throughout the day if i take it in the morning. I have tried Prozac and it only made my symptoms worse not better. As a night person who had sleeping cycle problems from a young age."

Alternativee30 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been on 75mg ER of Venlafaxine HCL for over 3 months now and I really feel wonderful. It's working very well for me. I have plenty of energy, lost about 20 pounds of weight and I do feel very content and calm. I do have vivid dreams that are interesting and long. I socialize and react very well with people now and no longer have any fears of socializing with groups of people. Again, this antidepressant, has so far, worked very well with me and I am happy that my doctor switched me from 20mg of citalopram, which made me very tired and gain way to much weight, to 75mg Effixor ER (Venlafaxine). Everyone's system is a bit different and what may work well for someone may not work well for someone else. I wish you all the best."

Autumnbreeze555 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "thought it was a miracle drug at first until I ceased feeling emotions, and I was only ever on a low dose of 75mg. Been trying to ween off this drug for 3 months now and I had brain zaps (feels like an electrical impulse going through my head), no appetite, diarrhea, head aches, dysphoria, aches & pains throughout my muscles and joints, dissociation (feels like I'm watching myself watch paint dry), tremors, and sweats. I feel hopeless and like this drug has taken my life from me for the past few months. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone ever."

THE WORST (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Terrible med. for me like it was for a lot of people. I used it for 6 weeks (enough time to get into my system). It caused panic attacks, which was not fun. I would have several each day. I was taking this med. for anxiety and depression. I cried every single day, and several times a day on this med. and I did not sleep a full nights sleep for the entire duration. I felt way more sad, and felt like I was in a zombie like state daily. I read reviews of this drug and prayed that I would soon start to feel better, and wouldn't be one of those that this drug did not work for. Alas, I was one of those. I stopped taking Effexor, cold turkey 5 days ago. Best thing I ever did. I experienced some withdrawal symptoms, like severe brain zaps"

Cinnabuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was prescribed venlafaxine ~3 months ago for depression co-morbid with anxiety (mostly social in nature). During the first week side-effects included feeling "strange"/"spaced out" and jaw clenching. I still have mild anxiety "jitteryness", some foul smelling flatulance(!) and limb twitching/achiness. I don't really know if it has worked for depression so give it a modest rating. I do feel slightly better but I don't know if I can credit the drugs because I made some significant lifestyle changes. As for anxiety, I do feel less hesitant in conversations and less obsessive over saying something "awkward". I think this is because of the drugs, but unfortunately these social improvements haven't really translated into improved confidence"

Stevo Hein (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Postpartum Depression "I was on 37.5 mg for a week and had planned to up the dose to 75mg. I could tell it was helping with my postpartum anxiety and depression, but the side effects were terrible for me. Extreme fatigue and vomiting. Not good with two small children. We switched to another medication."

Anonymous229 (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "The absolute worst drug I have ever been on. Caused physical illness and a state of mania for a week straight - a week from hell."

Diaaaaaaaaaaaa August 9, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I can't use the explicit language to describe my time with this, IMO, rat poison..Started at 37.5 ,then 75,eventually 225.Naturally, Dr's always say-"You've got to give it time to work!"..SURE DOC!..Want you to all know I'm no rookie at this, having battled depression for 23 years, and taken over 30 different meds, and certainly, THIS DRUG WAS BY FAR, THE WORSTTTTT..I refuse to believe that this drug was allowed to be given to humans.Getting on it, I became practically more dead, spending 20 hours a day in bed,, suicidal ideations one after another, crying, not eating, hopeless even more and every other negative symptom you can name associated with depression.Getting off is YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE-FOR ME?.3 ENTIRE MONTHS!=BEWARE!!"

hugoboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Please everyone make sure you are emailing Pfizer. They need to be making increments of 5mg so that people can wean themselves off easier. They are aware of the withdrawal from Effexor yet have not made smaller increments so people have to figure out ways to do it themselves. I was on 150mg for 4 years. I attempted to go off by decreasing by 37.5mg every 2 weeks. I was suicidal, exhausted, dizzy, and felt like my brain was being electrocuted. Within 2 days of taking my previous dose the symptoms went away. My next attempt to get off was much slower. I decreased by 5mg every month. I had to take my pills out of the capsule, shave a little off the pill and put it back in the capsule. To get any kind of accuracy you have to buy a scale."

Anonymous August 5, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "More than Depression I take Effexor for Anxiety and it works well. The only problem occurs when I forget to take it. Within in hours I experience withdrawal symptoms such as light headiness and an occasional brief buzzing in my head."

Grodon August 1, 2016