User Reviews for Effexor

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"I have fibromyalgia and the doctors also diagnosed major depressive disorder. After a few attempts, I was prescribed Effexor, but I was never warned of the side effects or the horrible withdrawal symptoms if you ever want to stop. Research it first, I wish I had. I could not get my prescription for 4 days once and I felt like a drug addict, throwing up, sweating, headache, chest pains. It was severe. I think dying would have been a welcome option at one point. All because I had not realized I was out of refills. Anything that severe is not safe for your body. Now, I am stuck on a medication that has made me feel worse until I can do slowly wean off that it may take a year plus because it impacts your entire body when you cut back slightly."

Purduegoddess (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 20, 2017

"I have a significant loss of motivation but this is not new. Effexor has not helped this symptom."

Kjs1216 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017

"Makes me very fatigued. Almost zombie like. I have a hard time concentrating on anything. Hoping it just takes some time to get in my system and work correctly. If not, going to see if I can get in something different."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2017

"Effexor I have tried many drugs but found that "in my case" they are not necessary. I went for an ultrasound on my carotid vein. The doctors said the flow was in the normal range but you could see that they were narrow. I went out of country to have them widened... No more anxiety and depression....drugs are cheaper and more profitable than minor surgery. I will return for stents. "

Bunsdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2017

"I've taken Duloxetine for years for major depression/osteoarthritis, but it never did much. My new psychologist wanted me to go off duloxetine and try a different A.D. **(Pro-tip - duloxetine can be titrated off of QUICKLY (within 2 weeks) if concurrent, temporary therapy of low-dose Prozac is performed at the same time. 10mg Prozac sufficient to prevent brain zaps and withdrawal syndrome from Duloxetine). I started with 75mg of Venlafaxine the first week. I didn't feel quite right, but not so bad that I felt I needed to report anything. After one week at 75mg per day, I began taking 150mg, a doubling. One day at 150mg was nearly the end of me. Immediately after it "hit" I became hostile, aggressive, suicidal, and unable to calm down."

Badkittym (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

"Made me sick"

smiley2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

"This drug seems to have helped. I've just gone up to 225mg. Profuse sweating and the rapid withdrawal are the worst."

MDewey (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 25, 2017

"I have been on Effexor now for almost 6 months. I take a combined dose of 75mg and 150mg at once( 225mg) I started at 150 and was given the 75mg a few days later to help with my anxiety. The meds do make me " numb" to emotions, and it does help with my depression and anxiety. I have good and bad days. Sometimes my meds will make me sick to my stomach, I often feel dizzy and feel brain zaps, and " electrical" zaps down my arms and fingers. It often takes away my appetite, and have lost weight I often struggle with constapation too. And sometimes it makes the voices, depression and anxiety worse. Compared to other meds in the past, Effexor is better. On good days I feel better and turn from realistic view point in the world to a more positive"

Hannah626 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2016

"HI , dz . I wanted to share my expirience with effexor ( flaxyne) for anxiety , panic attack disorder and depression I m a 28 old girl I have been taking effexor 75 mg for years but no result at all then my ps augmented the dose to 225mg which works greatly now with all my disorders and I m also on 100mg sulpiride which blocks perfectly black persecutive ideas and help reduce my anxiety too but here is the prblm I faced an important lack of libido and anorgasmia and a delayed period due to high dose flaxyne probably , but after months I m taking an infusion of Fenugreek seeds I m not drinking every day but at least twice in 28 days and it really helped with the side effects of effexor ."

Mjdalina (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

"I had been off all meds for 10 yrs when I had a major relapse and knew it was time to medicate again. Effexor is hard to get on, lots of dizziness and exhaustion. Also if I am late taking it I feel awful. Headaches, anxiety, mood swings. Don't ever miss a dose!! I can't stress this enough. Withdrawal hits hard and fast, even within 12 hours. Sweats, chills, headache, dreams, whole body pain. HOWEVER it does help me get through the day. I have suicidal depression and clinical anxiety, so for me it is worth some struggle to stay with Effexor because it does give me relief. It calms my brain, allows me to get moving with my day, and not have the threat of my own self-destructive tendencies."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2016

"On Pristique for two years with good results, then started getting really depressed. Doc prescribed 150 mg of Effexor for six weeks. I didn't feel any better and was having horrible nightmares and constipation. I was so disgusted so I weaned myself off over period of six weeks. I thought I was going insane, the nightmares increased and I was jumping out of bed during the night with leg cramps ,was nauseated and dizzy. When the dizziness got so bad that I fell down, I went to ER and they told me that was withdrawal symptoms and go back to doc. Now I am down to 37,5 mg a day. Nightmares not so severe but have terrible leg cramps. Hope to be off after one more week."

Anonymous September 19, 2016

"I can't use the explicit language to describe my time with this, IMO, rat poison..Started at 37.5 ,then 75,eventually 225.Naturally, Dr's always say-"You've got to give it time to work!"..SURE DOC!..Want you to all know I'm no rookie at this, having battled depression for 23 years, and taken over 30 different meds, and certainly, THIS DRUG WAS BY FAR, THE WORSTTTTT..I refuse to believe that this drug was allowed to be given to humans.Getting on it, I became practically more dead, spending 20 hours a day in bed,, suicidal ideations one after another, crying, not eating, hopeless even more and every other negative symptom you can name associated with depression.Getting off is YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE-FOR ME?.3 ENTIRE MONTHS!=BEWARE!!"

hugoboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2016

"I've been on antidepressants for 16 years. From Celexa, to Prozac, to Paxil with none ever truly taking away my depression and anxiety. I suffer from major depressive disorder, ptsd, anxiety and I'm bipolar as well. Since starting Effexor, my life has dramatically changed for the better. I'm honestly the happiest and calmest I've been since the age of 15. I started with 37.5mg 2x daily and I'm now up to max dosage. I've zero side effects and can function fully without benzodiazepines for my anxiety thanks to this medication. I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try, especially if no other antidepressants have truly made you feel 100%. It's possible to beat depression with the right medication, just keep on trying and hang in there!"

StacyAnna (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2016

"It took 3 years to figure out that it was the Effexor that was causing my constipation. I was given MORE prescriptions to counter-act, but that just didn't work-actually moved me to beyond the other end of the spectrum. After forgetting a dose and experiencing the withdrawal symptoms, I immediately wanted to get off, but because I really didn't have any other options, I just continued on. I have tried many other different medications to help cope with depression and anxiety-Effexor seemed to work on the brain, but what it did to my guts is far worse. Multiple imaging, ER visits, unnecessary surgery and even a trip to the Mayo Clinic to figure out why I couldn't poop. To me, Effexor is POISON"

dgd84 May 5, 2016

"I wish somebody had told me how addictive this drug is before I started taking it. Had I known how bad the withdrawal symptoms were, I probably would never have gone on it. (Although that might be a good thing, as I need(ed) to be on it.) It has definitely helped. The worst thing is HAVING to take it...literally. It's a full-out physical addiction. If we go somewhere and it doesn't get packed, I'm in trouble. It's NOT something to be taken for short-term or seasonally. Other than the withdrawals the main side effect is sweating. I shower every morning and by mid-afternoon I have to put Kleenexes or some sort of absorbing pad in my arm pits! In the past 17 years, I've also been on Paxil, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro, and one other."

Depression for 17+ years February 22, 2016

"I'm currently on venlafaxine, 300mg/day, and have been on it for 6 months now. This stuff works beautifully for me. I had/have MDD, GAD, SAD, and took Paxil for 10 years, which worked quite well until 8 months ago. I was scared of switching because of the fact that not all anti-depressants work for everyone, and I was terrified of fully reverting back to my suicidal, petrified old self. My psychiatrist was able to convince me after a couple months to go for it. On the venlafaxine I feel calm, HAPPY, able to concentrate, mildly euphoric, and better than I did in my early days of taking Paxil. This stuff is hit or miss for different people, but don't be scared to try it if you haven't. And give it time to work."

Mike001 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

"I stopped taking this medicine briefly, for around 5 days, due to the "speed effect" and had to go right back on it, due to brain zaps!! I was (and still am) only taking 75 mg daily (once in the am). I take 1 mg of Xanax daily, but if I take it AFTER the Effexor, it won't work. I decided to switch it around and take it BEFORE the antidepressant and it works a LITTLE better, but not much. I used to take it early in the afternoon and was up all night. Now as long as I take it before 1 pm, I sleep fine. I've been taking it since January of 2014 and have noticed me being much calmer, still anxious at times, but much better before prescribed to me! It DOES cause, weight loss, drowsiness and fatigue if I take it while lying down."

Costillo December 7, 2015

"Don't take it. Your emotions become dull and feel fake. Even your laughter feels fake. Your sleep becomes horrible. You overeat because you don't care anymore. The first week you feel like you're on meth. It feels great. Then it wears away and you become a dull and empty mess with memory problems and no motivation to do anything including getting off of the medicine. It's easier just to take it. I'm in my second week of withdrawal. I would just take 8-10 beads when I would get dizzy and it would go away. ez-pz. My depression did come back even worse. Maybe it's my minds way of telling me I'm not doing anything to make my life better. Maybe I should change my life instead of taking a pill, especially this pill."

AnotherDanApparently (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2015

"I took Effexor for many years. I believe I was becoming resistant to it because it wasn't addressing my depression anymore. I tapered off as slowly as possible and I can safely say it is the worst withdrawal I have ever had in my life. Nausea, dizziness, sickly feeling, huge brain zaps, lethargy, headaches. It was horrible. I am so glad to be off of it. My new medication, wellbutrin and lexapro are much better in controlling my chronic major depression. I will never be off drugs, but I would never take this drug again."

Tinteardrop (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2015

"17 years ago I had a breakdown with anxiety and depression - tried aropax and it was hell on earth. Changed to efexor, it started working after 3 weeks. I've been on it for 17 years or so on various doses between 150 and 375 and it's been amazing. I worry about health side effects but it's been a life saver, no longer a wreck but can cope."

Meeee12345 September 19, 2015

"Increase dose more slowly than the doctor says. I was convinced I was actually in hell for a week after increasing my dose for one single day. It helps my situation, but it ruins my memory, kills motivation, kills desire or will to do anything. A cool and crisp morning loses that good feeling and your sleep sucks causing you to be tired all day. I would recommend to take a dose only on days you feel awful. Maybe 15mg. I regret taking this every day. The withdrawal is worse than alcohol, tobacco and other SSRIs combined."

DanMedicineReview August 19, 2015

"I have been on 225mg for four years and I've liked it for the lack of side effects. Now I think it isn't working well. I'm kind of worried about 300mg."

Zoogie (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

"I have been through the gamut of antidepressant meds. Celexa, Lexapro, cymbalta, Zoloft, fetzima and several others over the last 13 years. My doctor kept leading me away from Effexor because of the bad withdrawals it has. This drug is working pretty well so far. My insurance lapsed tho once. I went without meds for 4 days and I was on a high dose. She was right about those withdrawals. The worst I've ever had. Severe nightmares, sweats, extremely low energy, brain zaps, every noise would set my head in a tailspin. I've had pain med withdrawal and benzo withdrawal and nothing compares to coming of this med. Thankfully my insurance kicked back in and after a day and half I was starting to feel better again. It works. But not w/o risks"

lasthope83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

"I'm writing this review hoping this medication will help someone else. I remember sleepless night looking up reviews on all antidepressant medications and effexor did really work. Had the worst depression in my short 27 years of life, this medication help me lift up and get back to work. I went on short term disablitly for about two months due to the extreme depression had no interest in life what so ever. Got back to work and even got a promotion several months later. Thank God for this medication and for the strength he gave me through the process."

BC2015 June 9, 2015

"I have experienced chronic anxiety, panic attacks, and depression for 20+ years. I've been on several different medications over the years, but none of them worked entirely. My depression increased over the years, because I believed, nothing could help my problems. I was admitted to a psychiatric unit recently due to suicidal ideations. The attending doctor said he would like to start me on Effexor. I would not allow myself to read the side effects of this medicine, due to my anxiety and the possibility of developing psychosomatic symptoms. Within a week, I began feeling hope, excitement for life, and my anxiety was nearly gone! I've been on this medicine now for over a month, and I have never felt this good my entire life! Try this Med!!!"

Reidee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2015