User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "In summer 2016, I decided to quit smoking after 30 years. I was able to cut my smoking back from 1 pack to 1 half pack a day, but always had cravings. A friend suggested I try Chantix. I went to the doctor, got the prescription, filled it, and promptly set it on the countertop where it remained for a few weeks because I was afraid of the side effects being publicized. Finally, I told myself that I had one week to quit on my own or that I would try the Chantix. I couldn't quit on my own. I started Chantix as prescribed, and one week later on December 22nd I smoked my last cigarette at 6:35pm. Ten months later, I am smoke free and no longer think about smoking or the fact that I quit smoking. I live my life as a nonsmoker and its fabulous."

Cheezit65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been 5 months quit thanks to Chantix. It really takes the edge off from day 1 if used as directed. My problem is the internet uses cookies. So even though I think I've quit, all I see are ads for Chantix, which reminds me of cigs when I'm not thinking about them. I may start back because of the Chantix ads!!! Please stop !!! I'm also seeing nonstop Jimmy Fallon ads even though I only clicked on one thing of his please make that stop too Chantix."

just call me ex smoker October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I took Chantix in 2006. I was 46 years old with a 30 year smoking history which found me at 2 packs a day by 2006. In less than 10 days, I had quit smoking, no withdrawals and have never had a desire to smoke in the 11 years that I am smoke free. I never thought I would quit let alone go 11 years without a desire to ever smoke again."

Maria Baker (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I have talked about quitting forever! I attempted to quit countless times but this time with Chantix,I can finally say,I'm a non-smoker and it feels great! When I initially started the starter pack I chose a quit day. That wasn't a good choice for me because I stressed a little more each day it got closer.So I chose to keep taking Chantix regularly and see what happens. On my 27th day I didn't smoke.(I didn't even sneak) No more spending half the time on our family vacations looking for a smoking section. Long story short, I haven't had a cigarette or wanted one in 23 days! My Kids & husband are so proud! I plan to take Chantix 1 more month. Thank you Chantix for helping me get my life back!!!"

JShomaker (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I used Chantix for about 2 weeks and the side effects were horrible; depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc. But it did get me to quit smoking. You could attribute those symptoms to quitting, since they are common symptoms of stopping smoking, but I will nip that argument in the bud. I was an emotional wreck, barely able to function at all. Cold turkey wouldn't be as intense as what I experienced on Chantix. I would recommend Chantix as a last resort for anyone wanting to quit smoking."

SomeDude99 October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I needed and really wanted to quit. Needed to quit for neck and back surgery needed asap. Wanted to because it was taking over my life, you know just making sure I had enough for day or enough for trip...ugh, the drama was getting real old. I tried chantix long ago over 10 years n it gave me some side effects (don't remember) but I'm thinking even side effects out weigh smoking and possible death. I only smoked between 6-8 cigs a day, but couldn't do it on my own, I'm smoke free now and no bad feelings of need or wanting smokes. Do it for life!!!!!"

Cheetah41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I'm on week two and find myself still smoking. I don't feel like I "dying for a cigarette" but I haven't put them down yet either. I'm hoping this is habit vs addiction. Tomorrow is the day I'm going to try and out them down for good."

Rawson (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "My husband took Chantix and became extremely abusive. Accusing me calling me names. The worst sort, he refused to let me use A/C, refused to put enough food in the refrigerator and he woke up in the middle of night with nightmares. He forced me to divorce after 23 years and now I am destitute. I am warning to all spouses. Chantix will ruin your life. Threatened me. As a result, I have no alimony, no home, no life insurance, no health insurance."

Dawncrimmins September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Good a few mood swings and weird dreams I hate the smell of cigarettes I am on week three so good so far"

Dan123r September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I felt great on the tablets - alert, motivated, calm and centred from day 1. On day 4 when I went up to the double dose (2 tablets per day) I did experience quite bad nausea and tummy ache initially after taking a tablet but found I could get the same effect from taking just one tablet a day and making sure I had eaten first to stop the nausea. By day 8 I couldn't really be bothered to smoke any more and had given up completely by day 11. That was 5 months ago and I haven't touched a ciggie since. I did the 3 months on champix and miss how good they made me feel but have to say while I still miss smoking and enjoy the smell of other's cigarettes. I have no desire to smoke. I will say though that I occasionally vape. I smoked for 30 yrs."

Shellpea September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "Chantix worked for me. I smoked a pack a day for 35 yrs. Neither patches nor gum was affective. They made me feel ill really. Less than month on Chantix made me a non smoker. That was 7 yes 7 grateful years ago. It is amazing how much I missed out on with family and friends because I was out smoking. Not any more! I am now there to hear the joke or the wonderful story and amazingly I am also there to share my life. And I have moved into the present because I am present."

Elizabeth Vian September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I starting taking 1 month after experiencing a TIA, took for one month then quit after one month. I have now been a non smoker for 7 months."

MikeBarry003 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Well , how do I start ? Ive been taking champix now for nearly 8 weeks , up until now I've felt great! Stopped smoking , a lot more energy etc until recently I keep having weird thoughts re evaluating my life , feeling paranoid , feeling depressed, crying for no reason , can't stop thinking , can't switch my brain off from thinking to even watch TV. I actually feel so low. I have never felt like this in my life and speaking to a family member its the champix! I've stopped taking them I've got a doctors appointment on Monday I actually feel like I need to be sectioned seriously guys think twice before taking these yes they stop you from smoking, but wow the side effects are dangerous!!"

Staceyb123 September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I'm now on week 7 of my champix I've stopped for over 5 weeks now I've felt good up until this week where I have been agitated nausea and headaches. I'm going to cut down to one tablet a day as its after I take my night tablet I get these symptoms. I'm thrilled I'm now a non smoker and the champix has definitely helped but I think a lot is down to cutting out habits changing your daily routine which I have done. Good luck to everyone if I can do it anyone can."

Jeant (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I have been a smoker for about 35 years so when I say if I can do it anyone can quit.I never did drugs and I don't drink but smoking was my drug, I was addicted plain and simple when you get to the point that you don't enjoy it but your addicted then I think your ready to quit. I tried everything I did try Champix about 6 years ago it didn't work weird dreams etc. I tried the patch I tried cold turkey (Yea right) I tried lazer therapy (sucked) I knew I had to quit I had 2 heart attacks by the age of 50 and I'm a diabetic which I found out when I had my first heart.I finally did Champix again but I took first in morning and again at noon so it wore off by bedtime I picked my quitdate very important and I took it one day at a time and worked."

D A MOMBO August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been a smoker for since age 28 and I am now 49. I usually smoke a pack per day. Since taking champix for 5 days I'm down to 3 cigs. Per day. I have dreams, but they're not bad dreams. I also a sleep more and feel tired.. I'm considering taking only 1 pill per day since I didn't notice the fatigue and weakness until the dosage increased. So far I'm please overall. I will follow up in 2 weeks."

MzCrutcher August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "So I thought it be a good idea to try and quit again FOREVER this time I said.. how hopeless I felt at it.. I injured my ribs just jumping on a trampoline but it felt and I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to the ER . This was such a scare for me to smarten up. Since u have a young daughter that needs me To be HEALTHY. I've been on the 1mg dose of Champix for a week now and it's been a breeze more than not. Except TODAY. But I didn't even touch a cigarette. Only thing is I took one dose right before bedtime one day and boy oh boy did I ever have an sleepwalking episode chasing a deer around my room ,and my cat bit me. Didn't happen again when I took second dose at 4pm! take with a meal and full glass of H20 avoid nausea"

Louleeloulee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "Ive been on these pills for two days. Today is day two. The side effects from these pills is horrible. They've made me nauseous, dizzy, I've lost all effort to do anything, all I want to do is lay on the couch. Didn't want to eat or even get up to go to the bathroom I had to force myself. I myself just do NOT feel myself. So im stopping the pills an finding a new way to quit."

The Beast's Girl August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I'm 30 years old and have been smoking for about 14 years now. Two years in a row, I've had bronchitis or some kind of respiratory infection. I smoked Newports about a pack a day. It's my 2nd week on Chantix, and already I can feel less and less cravings. Usually I wake up and go right for a cigarette, and today I woke up and it took about 3 hours for me to realize I haven't smoked and just did it out of habit. When I'm working my 12 hours at the hospital, I can now go my full 12 without craving. That was never possible before! I'm only giving it an 8 because I hear for some people, side effects kick in bad around 3-4 weeks. I've been nauseas once but other than that, nothing. I really hope this is it for me! So far I'm feeling hopeful!!"

Bella5887 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "Do not use. If you are one of the people that have an adverse reaction to this drug, it can be really bad. It just cost me my job and career. Almost died. I contacted Pfizer twice for help and they ignored me. Then they came out with all the warnings!!!"

Steve McGuire (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for 16 years! Chantix has giving me a second chance and possibly years on my life. I have never reviewed a drug in my life but this drug gave me a life and for that I am forever grateful. 50 days smoke free!"

Rod the electrician August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I started taking this medicine to quit smoking and I haven't had a cigarette in over 6 month's the best thing I could have ever done. I thank God every day for giving me the will power. Yes I was moody AND all the side effects that are listed but I really wanted to quit smoking. I smoked Newport 100s and a pack a day. I feel great and I really didn't gain any weight maybe a few pounds but I made sure I kept busy. Thankyou sincerely I'm so grateful."

Angie loving my life August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I was an habitual smoker for 40 years. My car wouldn't start if I didn't light a CIG! I lit up when on the phone, while drinking coffee, after meals, on break at work! So I knew I would not only have the cravings to attack but the habits also. I set goals each day of the 1st 7 days on how many I would smoke that day reducing the number each day until I got to 1 on the last day!"

cassier17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I'm so bummed, just had my quit day on day 12 of chantix, but developed hives/rash on arms and back. They are like blisters with poison ivy. It was working so well, hardly thought of cigarettes, now I guess I'll have to stop taking."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I took Chantix for 4 weeks. I quit smoking my 3rd week. I didn't have any severe side effects until my 3rd week, I began to notice this foggy feeling. I had no nightmares or nausea, I did eat before taking the pill with a full glass of water. I have not taken Chantix since July 14th and I still don't feel like myself. Moody, depressed, and just not myself at all. I'm glad I quit smoking but this is hell. I did stop taking it early because of the foggy feeling. I believe this drug has made me feel crazy."

Anonymous August 17, 2017