User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Champix (varenicline): "I was on Champix for my 19th day, when I decided tomorrow would finally be the day I'll stop!! Hid anything, that wouid remind me.. ashtrays, papers, filters, lighters... Difficult when your house is a half-way house for your sons homeless mates, all smokers!! (At least they can't hit me up ATM!!) Anyway, that brings me to 4 days of not smoking. About to go to bed, tomorrow will be my fifth.. I've never had any serious issues with Champix!! I've tried, and given up, twice before, things have just happened... I have always had the nightmares, which I love!! This time around, (I always eat with them) hours after taking it, I'll suddenly get a massive headache and full-on nausea, out of nowhere, at the exact same time!!"

Shazzbah February 12, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "Smoked for 17 years, was *determined* to quit, but they do say the mind is willing but the body is weak. I needed a little help and asked my GP for Champix. Currently 6 months without having had a cigarette, of which 4 months were completely craving free. I can be around people actually smoking and it doesn't phase me. No desire to pick it up again what so ever. The aim of the game: You have to really, really WANT to quit. Yes, it's scary, and yes you will wonder if you can do it. But deep down, if you really WANT to quit, these pills will see you through. And if you can: get an App that keeps track on how long you have been smoke free. I had 0 side effects. Miracle drug indeed."

30F_TheNetherlands February 9, 2017

"This is the third time quitting. The second time I had quite for two yrs and unfortunately started again. After three months of smoking again I decided I need to quit again. I was worried the third time it wouldn't work. After the six day the cravings were nearly gone and smoking tasted horrendous. When I took a drag I didn't get any good feelings from it. So at that point smoking was useless. I didn't even finish my pack. I also learned to take the pills on a full stomach and no problems with nausea this time around. Some dreams but I sleep like a baby!! This drug is my life savour!!!"

Jj3369 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "Beware of this drug!!!! My partner had the worst experience ever emotions all over the place angry, erratic and 100% not him. I was so worried I would get a call or he killed himself or in lockup worst time of our life! He couldn't even remember the things he was doing and would snap in and out of it"

kate beth February 8, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "I am on my 12th tablet, gave up smoking on the 6th tablet, but I am suffering with side affects, tired, nausea, I ache all over and having terrible nightmares, my mouth is constantly dry and food doesn't have any taste to it However on the plus side, I don't want a fag and feel sick at the thought of one, I'm hoping to stay on the tablets as long as possible to kick this habit, but with two children to look after, it's hard! I'm going to only take one tablet a day from tomorrow and see if that helps"

Lou06 February 6, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "I started chantix in November of 2016 followed the directions to a T and have now been smoke free for 3 months!! You have to have the will-power to want to quit otherwise it will be a waste of money. Chantix definitely cut the cravings which made the transition from heavy smoker to non-smoker as easy as possible. Although I did have many crying and angry episodes it was very well worth the struggle. I am very proud to say that I'm 3 months smoke free and couldn't be happier. Definitely recommend chantix to start you healthy new you!! Congratulations on you new journey to becoming smoke free!!"

Weatherproof February 3, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "Smoked for 50 years. Last 20 years 2-3 packs a day and lots and lots of alcohol. I came to a mindset that I needed to stop. Took me a month and a half of champix everyday and I've knitted a scarf that would go around the world. Had a couple of very vivid dreams, not scary. Learned very quickly to eat a good balanced meal before taking champix, to keep nausea away. Drank lots of water and still do everyday. For the first time in over 3 decades I have a clear head, feel good and confident that I can make good decisions. Now I am at a stage of getting more motion into my days. I truly was amazed how stopping smoking and no drinking went hand in hand, and my healthy food choices all work and I feel GREAT."

hillybird (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "Smoked for 45yrs tried everything out there including hypnotism nothing worked . Tried Champix Nov15 2016 some weird dreams the first week a bit of nausea also a headache now and then. Happy to say I have not smoked after setting a date, within two weeks of starting pills slowly reduced to 2 or 3 cigs per day then quit, took 2x 0.5mg pills per day for the month of December then stopped. All good so far still once in a while get an urge, but one thing I read Or heard that I find helps get through the urge is, the need for a smoke lasts about 3 minutes on average so I find something to do, now Feb/1st smoke and Champix free. Good luck"

Scruffier February 1, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "This absolutely works. I quit twice but I needed more than 2 months (doctor did not think so). When I got a new RX last year, the cost was out of sight...185.00/month. I had hoped the cost would come down because I know it works. For now, I am in limbo......"

Marilynp44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "I quit smoking more than a year and a half ago after smoking more than forty five years up to and including 3-4 packs a day I have never looked back other that as I go out the door I check my shirt pocket to make sure I have my lighter and my smokes! Not! my life has changed forever for the better now that I a a non smoker"

Tonytony-smith.com (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "ONE DAY OR DAY ONE: you decide. Yesterday I decided to get Chantix rx from doctor and started the pills. ONLY eleven years smoking, I'm not even thirty and feel like shiz, I can't imagine how horrible I'll feel in 11 more--if I'm still alive. Smoked the last cig in my pack a while ago, official quit day is Feb 13th--one month after my smoking co-worker (over 20 years, pack+/day) quit cold turkey. This is my Day One."

LovarGul January 31, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "My second time on the medication. I quit for a year on it before and the first time I only used it for 3 months. Now using again to quit but this time I'm not letting any horrible life event bring me back to smoking. This is the only thing that works for me. Its amazing and even it give me hi-def crazy realistic dreams I actually I don't mind dreaming about Ryan Reynolds on a yacht except when I wake up and its not real. In all seriousness it's amazing"

Dedede January 28, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "I LOVE smoking and had no intention of giving up, however being plagued by a terrible cough (at 4am in morning!) my doctor said it was time to give up. I had half-heartedly attempted quitting before and tried many things which just didn't work, so champix was the way forward. By day seven I was going off fags and couldn't face them by day ten! The only side effect for me is the tablets have made me physically sick twice and I've stopped taking my morning one as I can't bear the nausea. Also, it's still been HELL. My cravings have been severe and it's still taken a strong fight for me to continue, although I also believe the thought of how awful they tasted on champix stopped me from caving in! Day 21 and not had one puff!"

EB1973 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "So I have not started my pack. Just got it. But went through a lot of reviews and I can't wait to kick this nasty habit. Will update as time goes on."

Warrenjpetersengmail.com January 24, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "When I first started the Chantix my doctor said to stop smoking after the first week of starting chantix but when I tried I was still having bad cravings for a cigarette so I ended up smoking but I continued to take the chantix and after a month and a half I was down to smoking only five cigarettes a day so then I finally said that I was done smoking and put down the cigarettes. Now I have been four months smoke free you will still have small craving but you just have to resist the urge chew gum or suck on a sucker until the urge passes and I am still taking the chantix this is my last month on it so I quit smoking in October and this is January so three months after my last cigarette and I feel great not had a cigarette now since ."

Nieto05 January 24, 2017

"I never believed I could stop smoking. I had accupuncture, laser therapy and hypnotherapy. I didn't manage to stay stopped. The patches irritated my skin. I then tried champix and gradually greatly cut down the habit without thinking about. I felt nauseous sometimes but felt it was worth it. I got a bit depressed after about 3 weeks but this happened at the same point no matter which method I tried so I don't think the Champix caused it, I think the loss of a 45yr habit would be more likely to cause low mood I'm now 4yrs nicotine free and could not have achieved it without Champix. It's not for everyone but in my opinion it is the easiest method. The only willpower required was to take the tablets and not to buy cigarettes. Money is great."

Whisper39 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "I started Champix on the 10 Jan 2017 didn't think it would work, by day ten I have stopped smoking. The first tablets made me feel very sick - it was better with food. I have not missed smoking. To everyone who wants to stop or if your finding it hard to quit - keep going you will do it."

Daisy 12 January 22, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "I had my last cigarette on Xmas Eve and that was a week after I started Champix. This drug if fantastic, and would recommend it to people who really want to quit the habit. The side affects are nothing compared to kicking the habit. In Australia you can pay $41.00 for a packet of 50 cigs, I was smoking over 100 a week so you do the math and that is also incentive to quit. Also Champix is subsidised by the government."

Paulmac (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "I went to the clinic 51 months ago to request help to stop smoking - I walked out with a packet of champix and weekly support. After 1 and half packets I went down to taking 1 tablet a day @ 14.00 hrs once I completed the 2 packets that was it - I was smoke free and "

Deb and Taz January 20, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "These reviews are total shams. The successful quit rates for people using Chantix, the patch and nicorette gum combined is lower than quitting cold turkey. Notice how every review follows the same formula? 1) State that you smoked heavily for decades 2) Claim that Chantix made you forget that you ever enjoyed smoking... it was EASY! 3) Neglect to mention all the side effects- including an alarmingly high rate of suicidal thoughts The only proven method is cold turkey. Wanna drag out your physical cravings for months? Go on the patch, get less nicotine than your body wants, be in mild withdrawal constantly, and have ZERO to show for all that discomfort 2 months later. Cold turkey? 72 hours and the rest is all psychological."

ddferrari January 19, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "20/day smoker for 32 years. Never thought I would be a non smoker even for a day. Started Champix on 2nd Jan 2017 and set a quit date of 17 Jan 2017 (trying to maximize smoking time of course). The first day into taking the pills I could feel the difference. By the time I got to 8th and 9th Jan, cigerettes were tasting horrible. I forced myself to the 12th and could not smoke anymore. Smoked my last one at 9.20pm on 12 Jan, woke up the next morning, called my boss and said I wasn't coming in to work. Battled through two mornings of withdrawal symptoms mainly behavioral / habitual. Only once did I get nauseous and that was when I took Champix without food."

Quitter... (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "3rd attempt on Champix..quit for 2 1/2 years the first time, then started again! The drug works great, however you need put some effort. Day 8, I've cut back from 1/2 pack per day, to 1-2 cigs daily. My advice to you..if trying to quit on Champix, when you have a craving, distract yourself with something else, you'll find it passes quickly."

APERSA (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "I tried this drug 2 times before. Each time I stopped smoking for a couple of months, however, I took up smoking again on both occasions. This last time I changed the way I thought and took the entire prescribed amount eacht day as directed. I didn't suffer nausea this time and I think it is because I ate a full meal and had a glass of water prior to having the medication. I also made a decision that I would never touch a cigarette again. I made sure I was around people who smoked during the first few months and anytime I craved in these situations I told myself I wasn't a smoker and it was disgusting. 12 months on I feel fantastic and I don't miss been a smoker at all!"

Jasmin33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

Chantix (varenicline): "I am 72 yrs old. Smoking for over 50 yrs. Tried the patches,to get burn marks on my arms, and itch me like crazy. I am a cancer surviver of 20 yrs. My Dr. put me on Chantix, two pills a day and after one mo. while still smoking, I woke up one morning and said that's it, no more smoking. That was 7 mo. ago, with no side affects at all. Thank God for Chantix."

KT SR. January 9, 2017

Champix (varenicline): "Magical Product!! I didn't expect such results. I used it for 3 weeks, didn't complete the 4th week and I am not taking any dosage now since 2 weeks. Smoked about 2 during that time and the taste was disgusting. Side effects are very minimal. Highly recommended for people who want to quit. The urge to smoke vanishes within days, but the habit remains. Like I used to go for smoking at work every hour. Now after every hour I stand up as part of my habit. But smoking is what I dislike. If you want to quit you should give it a try."

RizwanZubairi January 4, 2017