User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been taking these pills for 90 days now and have not stopped smoking or even slow down at all. I don't understand how everyone can be on the same milligram. Not sure if I should continue with this program still smoking two two or two and a half packs a day. Has anyone else went through this then had some success."

Jaybird2189 November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I quit smoking the first day I had to try Chantix! I was a little moody but I made it through! 9 years Oct 22nd! I do not have any sensation to smoke. My husband smokes and I do not want to go back!! I am so pleased!"

JennaChase1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Completely lost my brain, psychotic episodes, had to spend a week sedated on suicide watch"

Zany n (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a lifetime of smoking I’m finally free. But two important things: nausea is the most common side effect. The answer to nausea? Take the champix with a travel (gravol) tab. Works like a dam!! And: it took three complete cycles until I was finally free. I have and will give this drug my highest and heartiest recommendation. Cheers and good luck."

Jack. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been smoking since I was 13 yrs old, I am now 57 yrs old. I had quit before using the patch. With success for 4 yrs. Then I started back up ,(Being addicted to smoking) So in 2014 I tried Chantix.I stopped the Chantix, (stupid me) and continued smoking til Oct of 2017. The Chantix cost me $410.00 cuz I have no health insurance. So on Thanksgiving eve was my last cig. I have NO cravings. And feel GREAT !!!!!. Be patient.I did not give myself a quit date, ( To stressful). U will just not want a cig. It does work. Chantix has not given me weird dreams or upset stomach."

Brownbottom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "This is second time I've used champix, The first time was a few years ago, I went on the 12 wk champix course and I stopped for 4 years. I had tried absolutely everything that was available from patches to chewing gum & nothing worked, I had given up. I tried champix & it was like a miracle. But Stupidly I started smoking again so I am using champix again as I have faith that this will help me quit. I am on my 6th week & have stopped smoking but the urges are still strong, however my doctor has said that you only get a 6 wk course of champix now & you must use your will power? I think the 12 wk is just right as it helps with the cravings after you put the cigarettes down."

Whispz (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Champix works. Smoked for 25 years and up to 1.5 to 2 packs a day for the last few years. By day 3 my smoking began dropping considerably without even trying. By day 7 I was down to a half pack 7 - 10 cigarettes per day. I quit on day 8 and haven't had any real problem since. Started 28 days ago. Nic fits are very short and forgettable. You can feel a little weird at the start and experience a kind of tinny taste sometimes but that goes away. I took one pill in the morning and one at mid-afternoon to avoid any sleep / dream issues. Very impressed. Has made quitting really easy for me so far. With Champix I think the only way to fail is if you make yourself fail."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "Here is what nicotine does to your brain... Nicotine also can have effects on the parts of the brain that sense pleasure. When nicotine gets into the brain, it is able to stimulate the release of a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Dopamine activates some of the neurons in the part of the brain that register pleasure. As a result, nicotine triggers a chemical sensation of pleasure, which causes people to associate tobacco use with a feeling of pleasure. Here is what Chantix does to it... Chantix messes with the part of the brain that senses pleasure, looks forward to things, has hope for tomorrow. It takes that all away. I took Chantix and the effects were catastrophic. Needed three meds to counter it. Stay away!"

AnnieMagnolia November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for over 40 years. This is my 2nd time doing Chantix. The 1st time I was able to quit after the first week but really got nauseous. So nauseous I had to stop Chantix. I started smoking a few weeks later. I've tried everything before. Chantix really does take the craving away. I started Chantix again 28 days ago. I'm down to maybe 1 or 2 hits off a cig a day and to the point I will have my quit date by the weekend. I'm not picking a quit date, just going off my craving. Once I take a hit it taste so bad. I made my self overcome the nausea by having a full stomach and drinking liquids. It really helped. I'm determined to finally quit!!"

JCAnaheim November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "If you are on the fence about taking Chantix don't be. This flat out works. I was a 1 pack a day smoker sometimes 2 pack a day for 30 years +/-. Even if your on it, and don't think its working, keep taking it why not. I smoked while on it until one day when I was lighting up and just didn't. I went the rest of the day without smoking. I then crushed what cigs I had left and was done. I miss the dreams they were crazy awesome! As of now I am working on 2 years. Every once and a while I will kinda crave one but then I smell my co-workers right after they smoke and want to puke I can't believe I used to smell like that. Just do it!"

Danimal! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I took chantix a little over a month. It made me have a psychotic split, now I have to take medication for the rest of my life. To say I wouldn't recommend it is putting it lightly. This DRUG shouldn't be allowed on the market."

Dreamlucidsaydreamlucid November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "NEVER thought I could quit. I felt desperate. I took only one pill a day because night pill gave me heart palpitations. I set my quit date as day 11 and now I'm 1 month & 18 days smoke free! The pill takes away the "I NEED A CIG RIGHT NOW" feeling. Completely worth it. I will recommend anyone to talk to their doctor about it. CRAZY dreams, deal with it ride it out. If you quit smoking cold turkey things are going to be tough your going to feel different, if you take champix things are still going to be tough and you might feel different. Just stay strong set yourself up for success I did (i know it sounds ridiculous) inspirational phone background because likely you look at it a hundred times a day, quit smoking app and champ!good luck get the monkey off your back!"

Brittk123 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "on day 6. So far so good, the only side affect that I seem to be having is disturbed sleep. This is relative to other factors as I've had a few ridiculously early starts for work. My weekly average is about 10% less sleep than normal (fitbit). My dreams are slightly more vivid but not nightmarish. Grumpiness seems to be underlying most days, but I work with the general public that could just be normal and I'm suddenly more aware of it due to keeping an eye on my mood because of the tablets. I cut down from 20 a day to 10 after 3 days. Yesterday 7 smoked. Today the smell of cigarettes and smoke is noxious. I'm at the point of washing everything I own just to get rid of the smell, luckily I never smoked inside my home."

Cakey November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "First of all, all of those people who quit, will be back to smoking really soon. And if it says they are smoke free for years, it is probably a bought comment by Pfizer. Trust me. I did quit as well 3 times, but it is not permanent. The side effects last even months after you take the pill. the last time I quit with it, I had a neurological breakdown, I could not control my body, I was having a non fatal stroke and even heart attack. I could not talk, had to be taken to the emergency. My eyes were rolling up, I could not control my limbs, could not talk, my mouth would not move to talk. It was horrible. Months later I am back to smoking and now I am scared to take the pill. The depression was horrific and same with the dreams. I do not recommend"

Mimi2017 November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been on chantix for a little over a month now. I have been been smoke free for 11 days. I was a 25 year smoker. I couldn’t believe it...I just lost all desire to smoke. Thank you Chantix! I do feel a little down, I have some vivid dreams and still trying to get use to a non-smokers life style but never in a million years would I have ever thought quitting would be so easy. I plan on getting off Chantix in a few more weeks."

It’s a miracle dee November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I smoked for 37 years. Started champix, had the nausea like everyone else but if you eat a meal then take the pill with lots of water it will really help. Took the medication for about 6 weeks before I quit. I didn’t really want them but I can attest that it is more habit than addiction. Took the meds for about 5 weeks after that then quit taking them. I had no withdrawals but did start to have minor cravings to smoke again. Just drank some water and they went away. It’s been 4 weeks now off the meds and it’s all good. Thanks champix!!"

Barry1965 November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I started taking Chantix when I was 45 and other than smoking a healthy female that was guessed the age of early 30's every time someone asked. Healthy. But after taking Chantix for 2 months my ears starting ringing. It was assuredly annoying however I liked the way it was also affecting an awful bought of temporary depression after having just lost a friend from Cancer. I kept taking it, I did quit smoking fairly quickly, within the first 3 weeks but the Dr. agreed to keep me on it 4 the depression relief 4, 8 more weeks. In that 3rd month my ears started ringing so loud I couldn't sleep, I could hear what sounded like my own pulse pumping through my ears. My blood pressure skyrocketed, edema was1/4" deep and I now have an aortic anuerysm!"

Brokenheart from Chantix (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "In summer 2016, I decided to quit smoking after 30 years. I was able to cut my smoking back from 1 pack to 1 half pack a day, but always had cravings. A friend suggested I try Chantix. I went to the doctor, got the prescription, filled it, and promptly set it on the countertop where it remained for a few weeks because I was afraid of the side effects being publicized. Finally, I told myself that I had one week to quit on my own or that I would try the Chantix. I couldn't quit on my own. I started Chantix as prescribed, and one week later on December 22nd I smoked my last cigarette at 6:35pm. Ten months later, I am smoke free and no longer think about smoking or the fact that I quit smoking. I live my life as a nonsmoker and its fabulous."

Cheezit65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I have been 5 months quit thanks to Chantix. It really takes the edge off from day 1 if used as directed. My problem is the internet uses cookies. So even though I think I've quit, all I see are ads for Chantix, which reminds me of cigs when I'm not thinking about them. I may start back because of the Chantix ads!!! Please stop !!! I'm also seeing nonstop Jimmy Fallon ads even though I only clicked on one thing of his please make that stop too Chantix."

just call me ex smoker October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "Hello all! It works if you let it!! I'm very pleased, it's only been a month but I can DEFINITELY see/feel the difference. I've had moments when I would get a just "little" cranky but nothing I can't handle. I've experienced those dreaded dreams but I haven't experienced the "waking up in a cold sweat" kind of dream, they're mild nothing too crazy, Thank God lol. But the worse thing for me is the nausea and the tired feeling. With the nausea I had to make sure I had something on my stomach, and still keep ginger ale at my side. The tired feeling got so bad I started taking them at night because I wasn't able to really perform at work. Everyone is different but I hope some of this info helps. GL!!"

Wonder Woman 83 October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I took Chantix in 2006. I was 46 years old with a 30 year smoking history which found me at 2 packs a day by 2006. In less than 10 days, I had quit smoking, no withdrawals and have never had a desire to smoke in the 11 years that I am smoke free. I never thought I would quit let alone go 11 years without a desire to ever smoke again."

Maria Baker (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I have talked about quitting forever! I attempted to quit countless times but this time with Chantix,I can finally say,I'm a non-smoker and it feels great! When I initially started the starter pack I chose a quit day. That wasn't a good choice for me because I stressed a little more each day it got closer.So I chose to keep taking Chantix regularly and see what happens. On my 27th day I didn't smoke.(I didn't even sneak) No more spending half the time on our family vacations looking for a smoking section. Long story short, I haven't had a cigarette or wanted one in 23 days! My Kids & husband are so proud! I plan to take Chantix 1 more month. Thank you Chantix for helping me get my life back!!!"

JShomaker (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "currently on my second attempt of champix. And having a totally different experience. First time was about six years ago...possibly more! First time nausea was brutal but I persisted to the book. Day 9 I started to smoke a cig and I was nearly sick it was so vile. I took the tablets for another five days and stopped. I didn't smoke for two years. Then I started night duty and my co worker smoked about 40 in a shift and thats were is all went wrong again. Second time on tablets its day 13 and I have reduced but can't seem to kick it totally, stomach is grand. Missed a few doses unfortunately as I'm on nights. Disappointed and can't understand how its not the same as first. Probably cause my sleep/wake hours are a mess. But hopefully I get there."

Me53..... October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I used Chantix for about 2 weeks and the side effects were horrible; depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc. But it did get me to quit smoking. You could attribute those symptoms to quitting, since they are common symptoms of stopping smoking, but I will nip that argument in the bud. I was an emotional wreck, barely able to function at all. Cold turkey wouldn't be as intense as what I experienced on Chantix. I would recommend Chantix as a last resort for anyone wanting to quit smoking."

SomeDude99 October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I needed and really wanted to quit. Needed to quit for neck and back surgery needed asap. Wanted to because it was taking over my life, you know just making sure I had enough for day or enough for trip...ugh, the drama was getting real old. I tried chantix long ago over 10 years n it gave me some side effects (don't remember) but I'm thinking even side effects out weigh smoking and possible death. I only smoked between 6-8 cigs a day, but couldn't do it on my own, I'm smoke free now and no bad feelings of need or wanting smokes. Do it for life!!!!!"

Cheetah41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017