User Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Also known as: Chantix, Champix

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline

Feebee · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I have been a smoker for 30 odd years about 12 a day. I have had multiple attempts at quitting over the years but always started up again. I know a few people that had quit for good using Champix so thought I would try it. Well all I can say is WOW!! I am on day 23 taking Champix and have not wanted to smoke since day 10. During the first week I noticed that I could only smoke half a cigarette and only smoking about 5 a day. Then on day 10 I woke up not even wanting to smoke. Feels like a miracle. I am finally free and know that it will be life long. The only side effect for me, was a bit of nausea but found that taking it straight after brekky and dinner worked well. Give it a go and good luck ”

Bristol · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Hi everyone I have smoked on and off for 10 years, I must say that I have completely tried almost everything, so one day I searched the net to see if there's a tablet for stop smoking, and wow I came across this champix. So I researched it, then went online doctor for a assessment, which I payed £35.00 for the starter pack, I took for 7 days and that was it, no more smoking, now back to my gyming. Honestly really is a bad habit and it's powerful, and those who do not smoke wouldn't understand how hard it is . I work for the NHS. Thanks for reading.”

Clint · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Hey, update on the smoking medication: The first week there were hardly any side effects, the only one that really stuck out was feeling a little down, I noticed that I doubt myself and my relationships more often and it sorta amplifies my main insecurities a bit. Second week so far, today was my first cigarette free day, in the instructions it says to stop smoking completely between day 8 and 13 of the medication I think, I am now starting to notice a bit of constipation. That's all so far, oh and the cravings while on the medication are bearable, they are still there but if you have at least a little bit of willpower you should be able to manage. I just remind myself that I really need to stop after smoking for 6 years and remind myself that I will be much better off quitting now”

Wacko · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “2 weeks into taking champix tablets and for 3 or 4 consecutive days I've been having non stop suicidal thoughts I do not recommend. I've stopped taking them hopefully I bounce back in a few days.”

SNARF · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Smoked a pack cigarettes a day for 20 years. At the end of week 4 on Champix. Still have a slight craving for cigarettes, but can deal with it. Side effects included slight nausea soon after taking the pill in the morning accompanied with a light headache occasionally, but not at night. Struggled to sleep in the beginning, but now I sleep well now (maybe to well). It is definitely worth a try and worked so for where everything else I have tried failed.”

Buddy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “So I started taking champix in early March smoking a minimum of 12-15 cigarettes per day. Almost immediately it started to reduce the amount I smoked . Within a couple of weeks I was down to 4-6 cigarettes a day few weeks later I was down to 2-3 a day and could not stand to smoke the whole thing. By week 6 I didn’t rally need it anymore I had no cravings. Only side effect was nausea which went away completely after no longer ingesting nicotine”

Bang · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I have been on Champix for 8 weeks now. I have not stopped smoking, but I have reduced my nicotine use from 20 cigarettes a day to 10 with no cravings or withdrawal symptoms. I have endogenous depression so doctors did not want to prescribe it to me. I feel much less depressed on Champix, I feel happy. Not 'high' happy, but much better than I do on some anti depressants. I probably won't stop smoking, but I will ask to continue using Champix for another 3 month period, because its the best holiday I've had from depression my entire life.”

Fran May 23, 2020

“I have been smoking since I was 13 years old. I am now 57. I like others here decided as I was getting older that it was now time to quit not only for financial reasons (the price of cigarettes was sending me into serious debt) but also for my health. I have used Champix successfully previously so used it again. It is now just over 2 months since I stopped smoking and I am still smoke free. It is absolutely fabulous in my experience. I have vivid dreams but they are great dreams. I know it’s not been long since I stopped smoking and I will extend my use of Champix for another 3 months but I know I will never smoke again. Another benefit to using Champix is it’s not addictive. I know people who are still chewing nicorette gum some 10 years after giving up smoking.”

Smokeman · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I have been on Chantix for 3 weeks now. I couldn't smoke past day 4, however continued till day 8. I haven't smoked in last almost 10 days. The good thing about Chantix it is so easy to manage withdrawal symptoms. I do get some weird dreams but it was easy to manage.”

Donald Duck April 4, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I've been dipping tobacco three cans per 24 hours for 18 years, after week two of Chantix alone, I had decreased the amount to one can. I still found it difficult to just stop all together though. On week five, the first week of the continuation pack, I added nicotine gum. By week six I was able to put the dip down all together. I continued with the gum for a week after and I stopped chewing the nicotine gum and then transitioned to regular chewing gum. It was a success!! I must say you have to have the mindset that it's time to quit. You can't go into thinking your just gonna stop without trying, you won't succeed.”

Hm · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “Been using chantix for 3 weeks, hasn't helped a bit, still smoking like a freight train”

Alida February 29, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I only completed the starter pack, so 4 weeks of champix. Been smoke free for a month. Champix works but my side affects included vivid dreams , irritation to annoying people, and some cloudy thinking. Still worth it I feel great now, deep breathing gets me through any urges and just feels good to be able to take deep breaths without coughing. Good luck everyone, you've got this.”

Kerry · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Not only given up smoking in the last 14 days, but also feel sick at the thought of any animal product usually eat steak and omelettes now spent a fortune on Vegan food”

Fish · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I smoked for 40 years & had never really tried to stop, but as I was getting older & becoming more health conscious I thought I really need to try & give up the cigarettes. I started with the champix, set my date & off I went, almost 6 years later I am a non smoker & even detest the smell of it. I had no side effects what so ever, I love not being a slave to smoking anymore.”

Steve north west uk February 21, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I stopped smoking after only about 12 days on champix. The only problem was as soon as a doubled the dose As instructed i developed heart arthymia, chest pains, a pain attack leaving me in hospital, and now 6 weeks on I'm paying 1000 for urgent private cardiac assessments to try and save my job, my house, my llife. Finally, symptoms seem to be subsiding a little after 6-7 weeks. Be v v careful people. My advice is stick to half dose ie one in morning, one at night.”

Fletch77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Now then, I was taking champix for 5 months and totally smoke free and I'm glad to say I've not smoked for a further two months without the drug and feel great. The thought of smoking again is not an option plus I've got a jar of money totalling nearly £3.5k... makes you think.”

Q · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “Took chantix for less than 2 weeks before quitting cigarettes. Just finished my first week of no cigarettes and NO medication. I was very ready to quit when I started chantix. Still craving but keep reminding myself of how far I've come and how I really don't enjoy smoking, I'm just bored. Find something to do - it helps. First day of no cigs or meds, I made it all the way to the store for a pack and by the time I got there, didn't want a cig. Side effects were irritability, sleepiness and definitely weird as dreams. Just kept telling myself the sooner I stop smoking , the sooner I can stop taking the meds.”

henry · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I started the Chantix on March 2nd of 2019. My last cigarette was on St. Patricks day 2019. Almost one year smoke free. After 45 years of smoking - I actually quit. If I can do it, anyone can.”

Riz00 February 11, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Day 8 on Champix. I've smoked for 22 years. For the past year now my smoking has increased from smoking all the years 6-7 per day to double the amount. Side affects: slight nausea after taking pill last around 5-10min.I don't eat breakfast so I just take it with a large glass of water. Bad Constipation, bloating, takes me ages to fall asleep at night and wake up constantly. No bad dreams. I'm eating more and feel hungry all the time. I'm now at the point where I don't go out first thing upon waking in the morning with my coffee to smoke. I love my red wine and I have found that I don't even feel like having wine or drinking since a couple days ago! I can only really smoke half a cig then I have to stub it out. Champix works by slowly reducing my crave to smoke. Each day especially since starting the 1mg twice daily I'm not thinking of smoking and today I only had 3 which is already a big achievement for me. The best thing I've done for myself and my family.”

BakerMargera February 8, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I'm using Chantix along with lozenges and patches. I've attempted to quit smoking with patches and lozenges alone off and on for years with out success. The addition of Chantix is making all the difference. I've been smoking for 10 years and for the last 4 years I've been smoking between a pack to a pack and a half a day. Quitting seemed impossible! I'd tell myself everyday "this pack is my last pack" as I drove to buy another pack! Once I started treatment I didn't know what to expect. Days 1-3 I smoked 1-2 cigarettes a day. On day 4 I couldn't smoke even 2 puffs before just putting it out in disgust. I didn't smoke a cigarette today, It didn't even cross my mind. I feel healthier and more alert. I can take deeper breaths without the phlegm, my eyes don't burn in the morning, Im saving money, my head isn't foggy, my clothes don't smell like an ashtray, and I feel an overwhelming source of energy radiating through my body. So much improvement in just 11 days!”

Krissie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “After numerous unsuccessful attempts to give up smoking over 35+ years I have finally managed to stop smoking and also not want to start again! Champix worked for me, no side effects while taking it but I did get a weird reaction when I stopped taking it. Almost like an allergic reaction, not weight gain just puffy and up two sizes. Hoping this goes away soon, of course it could be changes to metabolism due to not smoking, maybe. Still glad I did this!”

Fee February 6, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “August 2019 , walking up the block with my granddaughter, pausing every 1 min to catch my breath. I went back to my doctor and prescribed me Chantix again. 7 days starter pack, smoking half the amount. 14 days , smoking 4 a day . September 21 -19 my last cigarette to date. Here’s how Chantix helped me. One day you will get tired and hate smoking . Be strong , don’t let anything little excuse triggers smoking . Be strong . 3 days nicotine urge is gone. The biggest fight is the mental habits. Mentally something we did for years . The same routine every day . Light up before bed, Toilet, after work , before sex after sex, meals, rainy , sunny .etc. I still reach In my pocket till today. Every time you get the urge, loudly ask yourself. WHY DO I SMOKE. By the way I joined a gym and gave up coffee. Coffee and cigarettes did go hand in hand for me. So go get chantix and you will thank yourself. Gums, nicotine patches, e-cigs really makes matter worse. Good luck . Thank you chantix.”

Bunnie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “Life-changing medicine! Works so fast and well. The thought never comes up to smoke, but have something to do in place of smoking. I do it because I’m bored, so now I just apply to new jobs and stuff.”

Mfmegahed · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I am on day number 33 and I quit smoking 21 day ago, first 2 weeks of the medicine will be a little bit hard due to the side effects, and after then it will be better regarding to nausea, bad mood and the crazy dreams. I hope not to back to smoking after finishing the whole dose”

DJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I was hospitalized the day after Christmas 2019 for other issues than smoking, stomach issues, internal bleeding and alcoholism. I have COPD, I’ve smoked ever since I was sixteen. I am 63 yrs. old. Up to 3 packs a day. I was a mess. Do to being hospitalized I could not smoke or drink. After a 5 day stay I was released New Years Eve. I was sent home dry. I tried nicotine patches for about a week and a half. Alcohol was the LAST thing on my mind. I was sooo sick! Finally my primary doctor talked me into trying chantix again. It’s been 4 weeks, no smoking at all or alcohol. I still crave a cigarette, but it’s manageable. Moment by moment, this too shall pass. Side effects: nausea and vomiting if not taken with food, I want to sleep a lot! Slight depression? Occasional headaches. A feeling of “loss”. The pros outweigh the cons at least for me. I truly believe I was going to die after being hospitalized. By the grace of God it was wide awakening.”

Learn more about Smoking Cessation