User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "I took Chantix 5 years ago for 11 weeks. I have am still smoke free. I was fortunate in that I didn't experience any of the possible side effects. I still don't have any urges to smoke and am enjoying life as a non smoker."

Ohio Native (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I quit smoking thanks to you from 2008. I am happy. The only side effect was insomnia."

Dannik (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I had smoked for 30 years. My daughter asked me to stop smoking before my grandson was born. My grandson is now 4 yrs.old and I have not smoked in 4 1/2 yrs. now. I couldn't have done it without Chantix."

DShelton59 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I have been on champix for 10 days now, my quit day was supposed to be on the 13th day but thankfully I don't want a ciggy, I wasn't holding out a lot of hope for this drug to work but so far so good, like a lot of others I have had the funny dreams and lethargy but not serious enough for me to stop taking them, can't wait to finish the course and be normal again but more importantly I can't wait to be a non smoker."

Spocko August 13, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "After smoking a pack a day for about 10 years, Champix helped me quit and stay quit. It is very effective and I highly recommend it."

Better Bet August 12, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I do not smoke but my friend of many years smoke her whole life and she finally tried that product of yours and it did work she's now quit smoking for nine months thanks"

Rocky768900 August 11, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "took champix for 8 weeks and was still smoking the odd one. Reduced to one tablet at bedtime for another week, then stopped smoking completly. Im still taking half a tablet , and have been for over a month, have no desire to ever go back. Have also stopped drinking wine, except for an odd glass with sunday lunch. Im not sure why I stopped wine, but I just went off it.Ill stay on the half tablet till the pack runs out, " another 3 weeks". My skin looks great and I have not felt this good since I was 20 lol. Oh smoking for 35 years up to 2 packs a day."

dollyk12345 August 10, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for more than forty years. I try every thing on the market to stop smoking. Finally my doctor prescribed Chantix. I took Chantix and set a date to quick. After two weeks of taking Chantix, I was free of smoking and have not smoked for almost six years."

Phillyman (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

"I quit on week 3 on the tablets... am now a month smoke free. I haven't had any urges to smoke. I smoked 20 a day for 15 years. These are the dogs balls. Only side effects is waking up in the night and dreaming mad crazy things which seem so real ! I like the dream's !! Also a little wind. Ha. But stick with them !"

Adywales August 4, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I am a 61 year old female who smoked since I was 18 (about a pack a day). Over the years I had tried to quit with everything and anything available. In Sep 14 I used Chantix to successfully quit and I was successful for 9 months. In Jun 15 my husband had a heart attack and I used it as an excuse to start smoking again. Chantix worked wonders the first time so I am trying again. One week without a cigarette and I'm feeling great. Only side effects are a little nausea if I don't eat and some vivid (not scary) dreams. I know I'm going to beat this addiction once and for all this time thanks to Chantix!!!!"

stldawn (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Works! Tried zyban prior to this but didn't find it effective. I picked a quit date as the medication recommended and gradually reduced smoking over 10 days while on champix. On my quit date I stopped completely and haven't had one since! Cravings still come and go but certainly not compared to a cold turkey craving. Just have to fill that spare time with something to take your mind off. The one thing about this medication is that after ingesting it, I feel quite sick after. It lasts for 10 mins or so then I'm fine. It's best to eat after food and with lots of water!"

Dr Nick (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "It took me a couple times, but after taking Chantix for a week, I am now over 5 years without nicotine. I would take 1/2 pill at night before bed, it worked!!!"

Chr1sgolf August 3, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for 25+ years i was smoking over a pack a day. I have tried other means of quitting in the past with no results. It would work for a few weeks/months but i found myself right back smoking. At first when taking Chantix i was unsure if it would work and i was nervous about the side affects. I noticed within a few days cigarettes tasted different and the longer i smoked on chantix the less i wanted to finish a smoke. Toward the end of quitting, packs of cigarettes were lasting longer. It took me about 3 months on Chantix before i smoked my last cigarette 3 months ago!! The only side affect i had was sleepless nights. I have no cravings and no use for cigarettes anymore. Thanks Chantix for giving me my freedom and my life back!!"

Scootah August 2, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "This is a miracle drug! For the first time in 20 years, have not wanted to smoke."

Karenbearbr73 August 2, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I have been smoke free for a little over 3 weeks now after a pack a day habit for 40 years. I had tried everything but nothing seemed to work. I started Champix and it's worked. The first few days I smoked normaly and then I cut down to 2 cigarettes a day. I just couldn't smoke more my sense of smell was hightened and they tasted really bad. During week 3, I was so sick to my stomac one day people told me just never mind but, no way. My pharmacist recommend I cut the pill maybe the dose was too strong for me. Worked like a charm. I still think about cig. maybe 6 times a day but the cravings are not strong. I do something else and all of the sudden they are gone."

no more cigs July 28, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I only took this med for 7 days. I haven't had a cigarette or the desire for one in over 6 years. It was like a light switch was turned off in my brain."

NoMoreCigs (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I have been a packet a day smoker for 32 years, until a persistent cough noted by my GP sent me off for a chest xray. Diagnosis = COPD!! I commenced Champix with mixed feelings....I really did love my ciggies and could not imagine my life without them. I did not pick a stop day and on day 4 noted I had cut my packet a day to now lasting 2 days. I lite my last cigarette on the morning of day 10, took 3 draws and thought YUK!!! That was 2 weeks ago now and honestly the smell or even the thought of inhaling a cigarette makes me sick and literally feel my stomach doing tumble turns!!!! I still get the nausea lasting up to 2 hours even with food....but have rewarded myself with a piece of jewellery with money saved so far!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I am on the 3rd week of Champix. I was smoking 15-20 p/day for over 30 years. I have not quit yet but ciggies taste so bad that I can only have a few drags before I feel sick. I have read a lot of comments about people giving up in the 1st week. I feel weak because I still give in to cravings but tell myself that 3-4 p/day is better than 15-20 p/day. Nausea is pretty bad but I am persevering with it, taking with food doesn't seem to make any difference. I have heard about other side effects - restless nights, weird dreams, feeling high etc -I have experienced none of these. I shall continue on with tablets until the end of the first pack and see what my doctor says about going onto the next stage."

SandyB66 July 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "been on Chantix for three weeks and have wet the bed two nights in a row now. I'm going to stop taking it as I googled and read about other people having the same issue. Sadly, this is not listed in the side effects."

Dissapointed1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Smoked cigarettes for over 20 years now i am free of nicotine and smoking for 1 year. Thank you Champix. I was a real addict."

Ahmet Guvencer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Started age 18 Smoked 37 years Up to about 1 1/2+ packs a day when I first tried Chantix realized in the first week that it was probably going to work so I stopped it because I wasn't ready to quit smoking. When I was ready the second time I stopped at the end of the first week because I had no desire and it was pointless to try. That was January 2012 and I haven't thought or wanted a cigarette since. So Chantix did what it said it would and for me no bad or vivid dreams or anything BUT (and I'm not alone ) that week is the same week I lost or severely altered my sense of smell which used to be better than average. Coincidence? It might be a synergistic reaction specific to some people. And I can't taste since January 2015, 3 years later."

sally annish July 9, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "After smoking for 22 years, I started my sixth week today and I couldn't be happier that I started Chantix. I have not had any side effects whatsoever while taking this medicine. I have been told that I seem happier and goofier (in a good way). Starting Chantix has actually helped with not drinking alcohol during social events, happy hour, dinner, etc. The smoking and drinking definitely went hand-in-hand. With that said, Chantix has helped in more ways than one! In the long run, I will have more money in my pocket, too! I have more energy, no cravings for smoking, more active, I don't miss out on a lot of conversations due to stepping out to smoke, smell better and simply more time on my hands. Good Luck to all!"

Omaha, NE July 7, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I am currently on my second week of this medication and have noticed a decrease in the urge to smoke. I was a pack and a half a day smoker for 25 years and I am down to a half a pack. This is huge for me. I am totally set on quitting and I believe that this drug is going to kick my habit! Will update when medication is complete."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Today is day 8 of my starter pack. I've still been smoking since I started, but definitely less. With the first 1mg tablet which was this morning I vomited for the first time, though I have been feeling nausea since day 1. Also. I realised today that my sense of smell for tobacco smoke is exstra. I stink when I smoke. I have tried quitting once before. Lasted about a day. So far I definitely think it will be possible with all the changes I'm noticing. Will keep posting and rating as time goes."

Lollos July 6, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I started smoking the day I turned 18 and at first it was just as a joke, but over time it became an addiction (I am 4 months shy of being 20). My family and friends hated that I smoked but I didn't care until about a month ago when I tried to go on a hike and was quickly out of breath - I hated it. I decided to quit smoking and started taking Chantix only 5 days ago. I had planned on smoking through the whole first week but on day 3 I realized that I wasn't craving it as much, and now on day 5, cigarettes taste absolutely terrible. I do experience some side effects: nausea, fatigue, stomach pain, and amazingly vivid dreams (not scary, unless you count a cat being able to literally multiply every few minutes as scary)."

Mak23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016