User Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Also known as: Chantix, Champix

Varenicline has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 1408 ratings for the treatment of Smoking Cessation. 84% of those users who reviewed Varenicline reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.6/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline

huckflow · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2021

Champix (varenicline): “Been smoke free almost ten years now thanks to this drug! The only negative side effects I had were moodiness and really strange vivid dreams. Other than that , it worked !”

AishlineG · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2021

Champix (varenicline): “I came to this site to read reviews about champix and was worried. However, I am now 4 weeks without smoking, read the Allen Carr book also and cannot believe I got this far without smoking. Will finish the course of 12 weeks, but I do not take them morning and night now. Once a day is fine. I did have vivid dreams, did not feel ill however. This is the best thing I ever did. You have nothing to lose would recommend you read the Allen Carr book too”

Dawnroderick June 4, 2021

Chantix (varenicline): “Day 17 on Chantix and I have not smoked a cigarette in 14 days the smell is repulsive to me the only side effect I've have is a little nausea but not enough for me to stop taking this pill. I love it I will never smoke again I am 52 years old I've been smoking 30 plus years a pack A-day and I am done forever thanks chantix!”

BakerMargera February 8, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I'm using Chantix along with lozenges and patches. I've attempted to quit smoking with patches and lozenges alone off and on for years with out success. The addition of Chantix is making all the difference. I've been smoking for 10 years and for the last 4 years I've been smoking between a pack to a pack and a half a day. Quitting seemed impossible! I'd tell myself everyday "this pack is my last pack" as I drove to buy another pack! Once I started treatment I didn't know what to expect. Days 1-3 I smoked 1-2 cigarettes a day. On day 4 I couldn't smoke even 2 puffs before just putting it out in disgust. I didn't smoke a cigarette today, It didn't even cross my mind. I feel healthier and more alert. I can take deeper breaths without the phlegm, my eyes don't burn in the morning, Im saving money, my head isn't foggy, my clothes don't smell like an ashtray, and I feel an overwhelming source of energy radiating through my body. So much improvement in just 11 days!”

Fish · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I smoked for 40 years & had never really tried to stop, but as I was getting older & becoming more health conscious I thought I really need to try & give up the cigarettes. I started with the champix, set my date & off I went, almost 6 years later I am a non smoker & even detest the smell of it. I had no side effects what so ever, I love not being a slave to smoking anymore.”

Jns1stkd · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2021

Chantix (varenicline): “This is my 3rd time taking Chantix. The first time I quit smoking almost immediately. But I started again. The 2nd time (years later) I had too many side effects so I stopped taking it. Fast forward a couple more years after my significant other was sick with COVID for 2 months. He kept telling me I should quit. I set my quit date for the end of March 2021. Tomorrow will be two weeks since my last cigarette. Officially a non smoker as if 3/9/21”

Fee February 6, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “August 2019 , walking up the block with my granddaughter, pausing every 1 min to catch my breath. I went back to my doctor and prescribed me Chantix again. 7 days starter pack, smoking half the amount. 14 days , smoking 4 a day . September 21 -19 my last cigarette to date. Here’s how Chantix helped me. One day you will get tired and hate smoking . Be strong , don’t let anything little excuse triggers smoking . Be strong . 3 days nicotine urge is gone. The biggest fight is the mental habits. Mentally something we did for years . The same routine every day . Light up before bed, Toilet, after work , before sex after sex, meals, rainy , sunny .etc. I still reach In my pocket till today. Every time you get the urge, loudly ask yourself. WHY DO I SMOKE. By the way I joined a gym and gave up coffee. Coffee and cigarettes did go hand in hand for me. So go get chantix and you will thank yourself. Gums, nicotine patches, e-cigs really makes matter worse. Good luck . Thank you chantix.”

DJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I was hospitalized the day after Christmas 2019 for other issues than smoking, stomach issues, internal bleeding and alcoholism. I have COPD, I’ve smoked ever since I was sixteen. I am 63 yrs. old. Up to 3 packs a day. I was a mess. Do to being hospitalized I could not smoke or drink. After a 5 day stay I was released New Years Eve. I was sent home dry. I tried nicotine patches for about a week and a half. Alcohol was the LAST thing on my mind. I was sooo sick! Finally my primary doctor talked me into trying chantix again. It’s been 4 weeks, no smoking at all or alcohol. I still crave a cigarette, but it’s manageable. Moment by moment, this too shall pass. Side effects: nausea and vomiting if not taken with food, I want to sleep a lot! Slight depression? Occasional headaches. A feeling of “loss”. The pros outweigh the cons at least for me. I truly believe I was going to die after being hospitalized. By the grace of God it was wide awakening.”

Linnie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “After 40 years of smoking, and numerous attempts to quit using all different patches gum etc. I even paid a fortune for Hypnosis but no good. I read about Champix and was keen to try it. Within 3 months I was a non smoker. I had read that there were some side effects but I had none whatsoever. With champix I had virtually no cravings , Sometimes I still felt that something was missing (that would have been the stinky fag in my hand) but that was just habit and that was the easiest bit to change. 8 years later and I still cannot believe how easily I found it. Thank you Champix and whoever invented you X”

Fletch77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Now then, I was taking champix for 5 months and totally smoke free and I'm glad to say I've not smoked for a further two months without the drug and feel great. The thought of smoking again is not an option plus I've got a jar of money totalling nearly £3.5k... makes you think.”

Alida February 29, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I only completed the starter pack, so 4 weeks of champix. Been smoke free for a month. Champix works but my side affects included vivid dreams , irritation to annoying people, and some cloudy thinking. Still worth it I feel great now, deep breathing gets me through any urges and just feels good to be able to take deep breaths without coughing. Good luck everyone, you've got this.”

Q · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “Took chantix for less than 2 weeks before quitting cigarettes. Just finished my first week of no cigarettes and NO medication. I was very ready to quit when I started chantix. Still craving but keep reminding myself of how far I've come and how I really don't enjoy smoking, I'm just bored. Find something to do - it helps. First day of no cigs or meds, I made it all the way to the store for a pack and by the time I got there, didn't want a cig. Side effects were irritability, sleepiness and definitely weird as dreams. Just kept telling myself the sooner I stop smoking , the sooner I can stop taking the meds.”

Mojofiters · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2019

Champix (varenicline): “I began taking Champix a couple of months ago. The side effects are pretty grim. I felt nauseous most days, struggled to concentrate at work, exhausted by 7pm, then experienced some very vivid & bizarre nightmares. I persevered with it though because I was determined to stop this time and knew people who'd successfully stopped using it. I stopped smoking on day 10 (after vomiting with my last cigarette) and haven't smoked since. I honestly can't believe how effective it's been. I spoke to my doctor about stopping it early because I was sure I no longer needed them, he said it was entirely up to myself and everyone was different. I took my last tablet on day 35. I have now been smoke free for around 8 weeks and feel great for it. I just wish I'd done this years ago instead of wasting time and money on patches/vaping/hypnotherapy(!)/inhalators etc. I have been a heavy smoker of tobacco and weed for 20 years and if I can stop, honestly, anyone can!!”

Tarikt · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2019

Chantix (varenicline): “This is my second review, as today I crossed 5 months smoke-free. Just wanted to remind everyone that this medicine is an Aid to quit smoking, focused on treatment of the chemical addiction. When this attempt at escaping the smoking trap started, it was clear to me that it mainly relies on successfully maintaining the willingness to forever stop smoking. Also, I found in (The Easy Way To Quit Smoking) book for Allen Carr perfect guidelines and highlights that enhances the (well) factor. A simplified illustration; Chantix is a vehicle that can help you get there, and your free well is the driver. Quitting smoking has countless physical, and psychological benefits, and might rise up to the most important decision and acheivement ever since you fell into the trap. Though might seem and feel difficult, it is indeed achievable.”

RA17 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

Champix (varenicline): “I smoked about 20 per day for over 5 years, tried quitting numerous times. Gum - didn't work, nictotine spray - hiccups, e-cig - did nothing for me, patches - carried on smoking anyway. My quit nurse recommended Champix, I took it for a week and continued smoking as recommended, then the day came - I finished a packet and simply didn't want to buy another, no cravings or anything. No side effects for me whilst taking it. By around 3 weeks later the smell of cigarettes repulsed me, I stopped taking the champix and haven't had a single cigarette since, now about 2 years.”

Mare May 9, 2021

Champix (varenicline): “30 years of smoking 20-30 a day. My personal experience of strange “side effects” appeared to be as follows:- Only taking on a very full stomach , nausea. A strange body odour like French Onion Soup. Labyrinthitus towards the end of my course. But most bizarrely my usual extreme social anxiety and fear of telephoning and speaking to people completely changed, I felt euphoric and completely in control for the first time in my life, I booked a week in another country for myself and some family members , accommodation train and ferry tickets the lot! Phoned around Dublin to find a specific Doctors surgery to get help for a family member who lives there, None of these things would ever have been possible before or have been since . I have only heard bad reviews of this and just thought I would give my account as this has been a complete success for me, it is May 2021 and I haven't had any tobacco products since the 21st of January 2017.”

henry · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I started the Chantix on March 2nd of 2019. My last cigarette was on St. Patricks day 2019. Almost one year smoke free. After 45 years of smoking - I actually quit. If I can do it, anyone can.”

Smokeless January 3, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “If you want to stop this really helps. Started taking at Thanksgiving and was down to three cigarettes by Christmas Eve and stopped Christmas Day. Have had my moments but will never go back. One of my greatest accomplishments and no nicotine supplement to buy or spend money on. Went from 2.5 packs a day to done in a month after 40 years of being controlled by a little white stick. Fantastic!,”

gary · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “Two weeks taking Champix and I haven’t had a cigarette since day 3. It says to keep smoking until week 2 but I had no desire and the last few cigarettes I had weren’t enjoyable at all. I used to smoke anywhere between 10-30 per day but now I’m finally free. I have no cravings at all, actually zero. Last night I had a couple of wines (alcohol is what I have been most worried about) and felt a mild pang but it was fine! I’ve also listened to Alan Carr’s - Easy Way To Quit Smoking (audiobook) a number of times which addresses the psychological aspects and compliments the Champix perfectly. It changed my mindset from dreading this process to actually enjoying it. This time I know I’m quit for good. Thank you Pfizer and Alan Carr you glorious bast**rds!”

Boris · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2021

Chantix (varenicline): “I was a heavy smoker for 37 straight years. I decided at 52 years old to finally put this nasty habit behind me once and for all. After talking to my doctor, she recommended Chantix to me as a means to an end. I was a little leary of trying it, I must admit, as I am usually skeptical of big pharma in general. But, I decided to give it a go, because I realize that my smoking habit was obviously bigger than my willpower alone. I'm a little over a month into using Chantix now and haven't touched a cigarette in 5 full days! I have never been able to do that before. I have had ZERO side effects. I am finding it easier with each passing day to resist the urge to smoke. Thank you Chantix, you changed my life very much for the better. Feels like I'm actually winning this fight.”

KIETH · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I have been smoking for 50 years .15-20 a day now I'm 70 I decided to quite. On Champix for 3 weeks and I'm down to 2 a day for the last week. WOW!! As I live in Australia ( The most expensive country in the world for ciggys its eating into my pension. It is $25 per a pack of 20 !! Now I keep a big jar and put in the amount of money I would have spent on ciggys and see it grow. I'll be able to go on holiday after 1 year. Side effects include colorful dreams and slight nausea. No interest in the taste just the habit of having a beer and a ciggy. No more standing outside a pub in the rain feeling like a leper.”

Smokeman · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I have been on Chantix for 3 weeks now. I couldn't smoke past day 4, however continued till day 8. I haven't smoked in last almost 10 days. The good thing about Chantix it is so easy to manage withdrawal symptoms. I do get some weird dreams but it was easy to manage.”

PJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

Champix (varenicline): “Started smoking at 19 and was a heavy smoker from that point until I was 54 years old when I decided to try Champix as I had heard many success stories. Did not even have to take them for a month and I had totally quit - taking a puff of a smoke would make me so nauseous. It was two years last week without a single cigarette - I'm so proud. I have not even had a single craving since I quit. My husband still smokes and it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm done-forever-this stuff REALLY WORKS - it's a miracle drug for me....”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “Amazed how great this medication works. I’ve been on the medication for a month and I have had very few times that I wanted a smoke. My worst time now is after evening meal, but now only last for a couple minutes. I would definitely recommend this medicine to anyone that’s tired of letting cigarettes control your life. I WAS a smoker for 35 years. Chantix works.”

Feebee · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2020

Champix (varenicline): “I have been a smoker for 30 odd years about 12 a day. I have had multiple attempts at quitting over the years but always started up again. I know a few people that had quit for good using Champix so thought I would try it. Well all I can say is WOW!! I am on day 23 taking Champix and have not wanted to smoke since day 10. During the first week I noticed that I could only smoke half a cigarette and only smoking about 5 a day. Then on day 10 I woke up not even wanting to smoke. Feels like a miracle. I am finally free and know that it will be life long. The only side effect for me, was a bit of nausea but found that taking it straight after brekky and dinner worked well. Give it a go and good luck ”

SproutFarmer August 15, 2019

Champix (varenicline): “I was advised that champix is a 3 month course to stop smoking but I could only stand 3 weeks, I felt weak, tired and nauseous the whole time. I can honestly say that I have never felt close to as bad as Champix made me feel. Before champix I was also drinking a bottle of 5% wine most evenings, my tolerance is low and I was tired of feeling groggy in the morning and the compulsion to drink. Champix turned me off alcohol before cigs, within 10 days I wasn’t smoking or drinking and it’s been 3 1/2 yrs now since I had a cig and I can count on one hand the no of times I have drank alcohol and it has been a very small amount in celebration of something like New Year. I have pre existing high blood pressure but since stopping smoking my meds have halved. Post Champix I lost 3 stone in weight. I no longer worry about not seeing my kids moving through adulthood with all the milestones that brings. Champix saved my health, my bank balance and most importantly my future with my kids. I can not recommend this medication highly enough.”

Donald Duck April 4, 2020

Chantix (varenicline): “I've been dipping tobacco three cans per 24 hours for 18 years, after week two of Chantix alone, I had decreased the amount to one can. I still found it difficult to just stop all together though. On week five, the first week of the continuation pack, I added nicotine gum. By week six I was able to put the dip down all together. I continued with the gum for a week after and I stopped chewing the nicotine gum and then transitioned to regular chewing gum. It was a success!! I must say you have to have the mindset that it's time to quit. You can't go into thinking your just gonna stop without trying, you won't succeed.”

Renee · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2021

Chantix (varenicline): “I quit smoking after 3 days on Chantix. I have one more week of pills and plan on finishing the 28 day pack. I smoked a pack a day for many years and loved those cigarettes. Now, I still have moments when a cigarette sounds really good but that passes. I know I'll have moments when I'll really want to smoke but will wait it out til it passes. I'll comment again in a month. Absolutely no side effects! I really love what Chantix has done for me. You have to be committed to quitting and the Chantix really helps!”

Learn more about Smoking Cessation