User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Chantix (varenicline): "I took chantix 3 year's ago and it was the best thing I feel so much better"

Big dog69 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I am coming up on my 10 year anniversary. I took chantix for the 3 months, I could not be happier. I picked my quit date 8/23 and quit 8/20, 3 days early. The only problem I had was sleeping. I worked thru it, I knew it was my only hope to quit. Thank you chantix "

BevHarley (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I started smoking when I was 16 and quit at 19 cold turkey. That was no fun. I took up smoking again in 2013 after a very stressful period in my life. I tried nicotine patches to no success. It didn't even take the edge off my cravings. Chantix is a miracle drug! I take meds for depression so I was concerned because one of the side effects are depression and suicidal thoughts. Although I am again going through a sad and stressful time (my brother recently passed away and I just got divorced). This drug is working with minimal side effects! I get the vivid dreams but they are not nightmares and my stomach gets upset for the first 3-5 minutes after taking Chantix. As for the depression, it hasn't gotten worse. Saving my life + $ too!"

Yayme! (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I was a heavy smoker for over 30 years, my partner and I used Champix and have not had a smoke for over 5 months. To be honest.... champix made it easy. Sure we still have the odd craving, but champix made it possible to get this far."

Jay1111 August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked minimum of 2 packs a day for 45 yrs. I tried EVERYTHING to quit. I didn't try with Chantix. My Dr. told me it would probably take awhile as long as I smoked. I took for 3+ months and didn't really feel any different. Still smoked the whole time but desired much less. One nite My husband and I were out to dinner and I handed him my cigerattes. I'd done that so many times. I asked him for one back. We got home and instead of smoking that one, I shredded it. I never had another and never craved one. I have COPD I was diagnosed with about 5 yrs. later. If I'd just had Chantix yrs. ago, I could have done it. This COPD isnt fun.. Try to quit while you're still healthy. Chantix did it for me totally! Good Luck..."

Suazannedebbie August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I would not recommend this drug,I am on day10 and have been up all night with chronic indigestion,I also have a blustery itchy rash on various parts of my body.The tablets are going in the bin !!!!"

Smiffy7666 (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Have smoked for nearly fifty years!!! Stopped a year ago and used nicotine replacement gum. Only smoked 20 cigs over a weekend. Who do think I was kidding?!!! Now on Champix only and no problems. (Nightmares are so interesting). Read a book where they said "one smokes, not really for pleasure, but to stop the craving" That is so true that it made me realize that it was not the smoking that is the problem with me, but the craving. So am so happy to have found Champix to take away the craving and "Hey Presto" problem solved. Thanks Champix"

Nauseo (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Firstly, a solemn thank you to all the gorgeous & truthful people that have been baring the soulful experiences on this site. I have read so much rubbish written by non or part time smokers about this product after pinging "champix" on google. It actua─║ly made me cranky enough to write this post. Many of you would have had the same experience in the past when researching the token words on google I am sure! Secondly, I am just about to start the road to non-smoking journey.......again. I fèel now is the time. Just like all other attempts I have made over the course of my life, I am bloody nervous to give up on "my old mate" who has stuck by me though a miriad of lifes trails and tribulations of 27 years with a pack in my pocket. Cheers guys"

Jimmyjobdone (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "its fine if you want to go insane. I recommend to use nicotine gum"

hjaaaa August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "Does not work if you're a real smoker 35 year's or more this is not for you."

Litt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "This is just an update, I would like to encourage those who have just began champix. I began taking the medication on the 26th of December and I am now 7 months smoke free. The medication is amazing. The first few weeks required an incredible amount of will power, the dreams and nausea I experienced were worth every second. Now 7 months smoke free after 14 years and feeling amazing. I cannot recommend champix enough. Stick with it!"

Lisa_4444 July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "This medication works but not for everyone. I took this medication and had been smoke free for 9 weeks. I stopped taking it because I was no longer myself. I had terrible nightmares and my mental state was altered and still is 4 years after stopping the medication. I do not recommend this medication if you have any mental health issues, depression, anxiety...etc."

Joel3low July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I used Chantix to quit smoking ten years ago after many failed efforts. The ONLY issue I had was some nausea. Thank you Chantix for freeing me from an addiction I thought I couldn't beat."

Neuman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "This drug will literally make you lose your mind. My coordination was off like I was temporary brain damaged or something crazy . You low life's who don't share that it's success rate and suicide is very common and Luckily I've been through worse with my pain pill addiction. They only show 90% of there good reviews because this is all about and creating more customers. I also guarantee most these people that rated this as a 8 or higher were compensated to do so. It has warnings but they hide the real stories"

Anonymous July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I read the reviews on Champix and thought maybe my experience maybe helpful to someone. I stopped smoking for 2 months cold turkey and experienced nearly every side effect listed by people as being caused by Champix. Could these be possibly caused by nicotine withdrawal ?? And not the drug?? Cold turkey, l suffered anxiety, low mood, felt like time was standing still, difficulty concentrating, headaches, irritability, insomnia, vivid dreams that actually seemed real, restless legs, gastric disturbances and tingling of my hands and feet and cravings. I found lots of water and making myself exercise helped. Starting Champix today and nicotine patches as recommended by my Dr."

Donsi July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I am so grateful for this medication. I smoked a pack a day for over 20 years. The longest I went without a cigarette was 3 weeks. I tried the patch, the gum, and the electronic cigarette; nothing worked (though the patch was great for long flights). My experience is a little different than most because I never had bad dreams (they've actually be better) since I started, I'm never nauseated (though I make sure I take the morning pill after breakfast and the evening pill after dinner), and I didn't stop smoking until month two (not week two). On week two, the number of cigarettes I was smoking dropped down to about five per day. And I didn't even notice I was cutting down. I highly recommend this to quit."

Imagine a nickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "Update on comment below: I gave up the ginger tea. It tasted awful and was hard for me to get it down, even just sipping it. It didn't help me that much either. I am now going to try a turmeric drink made with milk or nut milk that is suppose to help. We will see....."

padan (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I started on June 15. I set my quit date for July 15. That gave me a whole month to smoke if I so desired and to get my mind set to quitting. I had 2 packs of cigarettes left when I started. It was amazing how this worked. I didn't make it to my quit date. The desire to smoke was completely gone about 5 days before the 15th, and I still have 1/2 a pack of cigarettes sitting right out where I see them every time I walk by. No desire to pick one up at all. I've smoked for 50 years. The only side effect that I have is severe nausea and dry heaves, No matter when or how I take it. I have tried everything to calm it, but nothing has worked so far. I am now trying ginger tea. I sip on it all day long. "

padan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "I marked down 2 weeks to quit day on my calendar and then smoked as usual. I decided that when I smoked, I would not talk on the phone, read, drink coffee, etc. JUST SMOKE! After 1 week the drugs kicked in and I began smoking less and less. Went from 20/day to 3/day by the end of week 2. Once I Quit, there would be no association thus making the transition to non smoker much easier. Hope this idea helps others. Good Luck everyone!! UPDATE: Day 9 smoke free. It's been a bit too easy. I keep thinking that I should want a smoke but I really don't. Impressive!"

Stogy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Hi, I started the Champix 15 days ago. The first week I smoked as usual but decreased down from 20 to 10 cigs a day. The second week on the increased dosage was horrible, really bad headaches and the the mid day fatigue was crippling. Spend the afternoon having to lay down. Tried the 1 mg for three days and the side effects did not improve. I went back to the lower dosage and feeling better. Issue is I am past my quit day but down to 5 cigs a day. Don't know what to do next, can't go back to the higher dosage and having the cravings. How long is it safe to take the Champix and to continue to smoke? Can I try to take a NRT in form of a lozenge with the Champix?"

Pedejo July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked the devil sticks for 6 years. I'm young and didn't want to smoke forever so I decided to try chantix. Had upset stomach if it wasn't taken after eating. Dreams were vivid but cool I love too dream so no problem with me. Today marks one month since I had my last devil stick and I couldn't be more excited about the path I decided to take to change my life."

Jada135 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Champix (varenicline): "Fantastic tablets! First week I was still smoking as normal, I didn't feel any different so part of me thought the tablets weren't going to work. I set my quit date as day 10. Started day 8 on the higher dose and that's when I really noticed a difference. Days 8 and 9 I stopped enjoying smoking, and I kept stubbing them out halfway.. even when drinking which is when I usually chain smoke. I'm now 7 days smoke free, no cravings at all since day 9! I only take the morning tablet on the high dose because the evening one makes me feel extremely sick for some reason, but the morning one alone is working wonders. I don't even crave when sat around smokers anymore! I can't believe this stuff works! Bit of nausea, no vivid dreams. Worth it!!!"

SmokeFreeSoph July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I was skeptical, I heard so many good things and it sounded like a miracle drug. After learning I developed asthma I got scared enough to take the plunge. It was free with my insurance (bonus!) After taking Chantix for two weeks I started noticing a disgust for cigarettes. I would try smoking out of habit but would become nauseated. It smelled bad and tasted worse. From there I pretty much didn't want to smoke anymore and didn't even have many cravings. There were days that I did crave, but I pushed through them easily. I also had two days of off and on headaches from (I presume) withdraw. Now I can say I am two weeks cigarette free thanks to Chantix and I love being able to breathe not to mention the extra money I save."

nnnssssaaaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I woke up on day 9 taking Chantix completely oblivious to the fact that was even a smoker. Forgot all about it. Dreams were pretty vivid but cool, not one scary dream. I've been smoke free for a year and don't have any urges to go back. I love feeling clean and healthy ."

MyxaRita July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for over 20yrs. I'm 38. Started when I was 15. Didn't ever think I could quit. I enjoyed smoking. I made the decision to stop. Got a script from my Dr. It was free with my insurance. Read side effects and I was like wow ok, You can do this. Best decision I ever made. I have been tobacco free for 3 weeks now. My kids love the fact that I quit. I've had a few weird dreams and nausea. But nothing I can't handle. Nausea goes away after a few minutes. I never really remember the dreams. So I give Chantix 2 thumbs up. However, keep in mind that you have to want to quit and be ready to quit for a successful out come. I hope this helped. Good Luck!"

Kina1979 (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017