User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Champix (varenicline): "I have been a smoker for 35 years of 20-30 cigarettes a day. Never seriously tried to quit until my doctor warned me that cessation is an absolute must. I didn't believe I'd be able to do it since the cravings were tremendous, and were over-riding all rational thought. I Started taking Champix. Within two weeks I noticed that cigarettes weren't as pleasurable as before, and started to ask myself it was actually worth the effort to go out and buy another pack - I realized then that the drug has effectively eradicated all PHYSICAL dependence, and that allowed me to focus on the behavioral aspects of my addiction. I have not smoked a cigarette since 3 months ago. Still have occasional cravings, but quite weak and gone after a few seconds,"

Omniron September 27, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "It's absolute magic. Worked for me 57 and smoked for years. Starting week 8 of not smoking. No cravings at all ☺"

Chevee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I had been a 1-1/2 pack per day smoker for over 30 years. After a stage IV cancer diagnosis - very ironically not associated with smoking - I had to quit as it would have a detrimental effect on surgery recovery and follow-on treatment with radiation and possibly chemotherapy (radiation burns in my throat in particular). A medical oncologist suggested Chantix and after having attempted to quit several times in the past, it was finally successful. I only needed to use the Chatix for four weeks. In a month I was done and have been for over six years now. On very rare occasions I can taste tobacco and nicotine in my mouth, but there's no physical or mental cravings. No side effects of note for me; just ability to quit that had failed before."

JALind52 September 24, 2016

"I've tried many times to quit all without success. I have (had) a very serious addiction problem at three packs a day. I've been taking champix for about 4 weeks now and am down to less than ten cigarettes a day. But the big news is the great reduction in cravings. Cravings were always the worst part of quitting but with champix the cravings have declined to just above nil. I'm glad I started champix as I can now see a realistic end to smoking. I recommend champix to the heavily addicted like me. Jack."

Big Jack. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I smoked for 35 years, 20 to 30 a day - never tried to give up once. I decided I would give it one good go. I did some research on Champix and opted for a course AND I stopped drinking completely - I drank socially most days. If anything was going to lower my resolve it would be several pints of lager. I did find difficult but the Champix helped a lot. I know it doesn't work for everyone and the side-effects can be unpleasant but I experienced nothing more than extremely vivid, pleasant dreams. I'm now 3 years smoke and alcohol free. Champion worked for me."

Rangerbird September 20, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Okay, so I started Champix, 2 weeks ago and I am still smoking. Very disappointing because I read how all the other people quit their quit day. I've gone from smoking a packet to between 2 - 4 Cigarettes per day. Mmmmm I suppose that is still good but not the desired effect that I actually wanted. :( The dreams are REAL!!! Sometimes I don't know whether to worry because of things in my sub conscience or if its just the tablets, I am starting to eat a lot and then I suffer from constipation. So unless Champix is still going to work its magic I have come to the conclusion that Champix is for people with a low level of will power tolerance. Does it make sense? I have a very high level of tolerance :("

Teasy (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Im on day 20. And every day has been a struggle. I have noticed a decrease in smoking. From a pack to half pack. But im so over being sick all the time. Even with food, I feel headaches and nausea. No weird dreams, but I am sleepy all the time. I would like to stay on it because the urge is going away, but I also want my life back. With my physically demanding job, I can't be sick all the time. I dont know what to do :("

gottigirl September 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "With Chantix I quit smoking No side effects No Crazy dreams My doctor Prescribe The first session I Finished the first session And got a refill for a second session before the second session was complete I no longer smoke cigarettes. Chantix WORKS."

bakershannon September 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I started with 1/2 mg daily then 2x then 1mg 2x. Too much for me. I did not like the feeling. So I have tapered off back to 1/2mg in the morning. So far craving minimal. 28 days so far. I am happy to be free of nicotine."

Knollibe (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I am a 58 yr old woman and it took me three tries at three different times In my life but as of March 2015 I have not had a cig..the only side effect for me was very vivid dreams but I kinda liked them.Thanks to the Pfizer corp for giving them to me free due to my low income because without Chantix I have no doubt I would still be smoking.Thank you Pfizer God Bless"

Snugdabug September 12, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I'm 58 yr. old, have been smoking for 50 yr. smoked approx 30/day. I'm on day 12 of the starter pack, and down to approx 15/day. I am a hard core smoker! I'm trying everything to help myself quit. I NEED this Champix to work"

cccb September 10, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I'm happy to see that Chantix helped ppl. We all know cigarettes are not healthy, tax your breathing, make you a social pariah, etc., And then there's the ridiculous cost. Which is why I wanted to stop; for all the reasons listed above. I knew, from the commercial, this could make me depressed and suicidal. I thought it was the common disclaimer to avoid liability if I decide to stop smoking but jump off a bridge. Which is where I was pretty quickly into it. I felt like a zombie, was ridiculously tired. No matter how much sleep I got, was tired. And sad. Cigarettes lost their appeal. As did everything else. I was/am extremely congested, sad, "lost," hopeless. My teeth hurt. !? I also had strange smells. Good news- stopping abruptly is OK"

KT kit (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "So I quit smoking cigarettes with vaping and now I'm trying to quit vaping with Chantix. I was told as long as there is nicotine in the juice I'm using it should work. I started week 3 today I've noticed a decrease for the want/need so I'm hopeful this is going to work. I just don't know if I should switch back to cigarettes?? I quit those on Oct 17 last year so it's been almost one whole year without one."

Vaper (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Pack-a-day for 12 yrs, now on Day 22 (quit date is D 26). Started to work right away. D 2-3 cigs tasted funny/unpleasant (WOW!), D 7-8 couldn't get thru half-a-pack, D 13 down to 3, since D 17 can't even finish one. Side effects all feel like withdrawal to me (headache, sleep issues/dreams, digestion, irritability), esp. cuz they got better over time. There's no more effect from smoking, the withdrawal is TOTAL. Some advice, Melatonin for sleep and drink lots of water. Other big side effect: I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER physically and now emotionally. No more grumpy! I really have seen how insidious nicotine is, working its addiction into so many aspects of my life, making everything seem like a compulsion. Stick with it, FREEDOM IS GOOOOOOOOOD!!!"

bxbomber42 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Hello everybody I have just started Champix 3 days ago and am experiencing very bad headaches can anyone remember if they had the same type of effects, I am not wanting to stop taking champix as its my third day and I have already cut back 50% on the smokes, it really is a wonder drug however I am worried this side effect will not stop. Please share your experience with me would be great to know if anybody else had the same problem."

nazos7680 September 7, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I unfortunately have had to stop taking Champix on day 26. The reason for this is the severe low feelings I experienced over the past 2 days. Prior to this I did quit on day 8, I experienced bloating, excessive wind (both ends), nausea,waking every 3 hours this was from day 2 onwards. The pharmacist suggested at my 2 week check in to keep going through the physical discomforts which I was ok with, but as my mood became depressed and I felt quite antsy about everything for no apparent reason I decided for me it's time to stop this drug. Good luck to everyone who is on it. It is certainly worth a try but be careful."

SM 1212 September 6, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Hi guys! Expert quitter from Dubai here, I basically quit every week! Just bought a pack and started the treatment, my stop date is 18th of September (A day before my dad's Bday! quitting would be the best gift) My pharmacist recommended I use an a detox treatment with it as well ( Bought an Acai Detoxan from Sensilab) Good Luck to all :)"

Sirsmokesalotttt September 5, 2016

"First tried Champix about 2 years ago. Quit smoking on day 14 and was smoke free for about a month. My biggest mistake was stopping the medication when I felt I was "cured". Although I wasn't "ready" to quit, I had to do it for financial reasons. I am currently on day 14 of Champix (second attempt) and have been smoke free for about 2 days. I am determined to finish the full therapy of medication this time. As far as side effects go; I have experienced nausea however, it only lasts 10-15 minutes and its only when I take the medication on an empty stomach. I am experiencing very vivid dreams, but no "night terrors" by any means. I am finding myself a little irritable, but keeping myself busy helps with that and also the odd craving."

Josh7879 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I just got my prescription yesterday. I took the pill tried smoking and already noticed my disgust in cigarettes. I really hope this will last. I'm 22 and have been smoking since I was 19. Wish me luck! I'm so excited to start my journey as a nonsmoker!!"

Sam Sam September 3, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "i have smoked for more than 30years, tried to quit so many times, im an expert 'quitter' :) The longest time i stopped was 2 weeks. Anyway i was at a hospital and there was this quit smoking program. Decided hell i might as well get some help since i cant do it on my own. Patch did not help me at all. I thank my stars that Champix/Chantix came out on the market....its a wonder drug!! First day on 0.5mg i felt the difference immediately, craving has lessen considerably and i can actually taste food - the feeling was exhilarating ~ the first week...i have never felt that good for a long time!"

zichikato September 1, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "This is a wonder drug!! I Went to doctors and asked for champix, for my 15 a day habbit for 16 years !! By Day 7 I had completely given up. That was 8 months ago and I haven't touched a cigarette since! I had bad dreams, the taste of the cigarette was just vile. I suffered awful acne (gone once tablets were finished) I sometimes felt a bit confused. But none of the side effects should stop anyone trying this drug. 9 months ago I sat here and thought I am never going to give up smoking, it's a huge part of my life but I did it "

Vicky8868 August 31, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I love my cigarettes. Have for almost 20 years (about a pack a day). Chantix does exactly what it says it will do. I doesn't allow the nicotine to reach the receptors in your brain. Within a day I saw a decrees want/need to smoke. Day two I smoked less than 4 cigarettes, and none of them to completion. By day three I had one in the morning due to habit alone. I'm on day four and haven't had one yet. I have drank more coffee but I haven't ate more than I though I would. Dreams have not been what I thought they would by reading some other posts, pretty normal actually. I do agree that you should eat before taking the medication. 3 days in I made the mistake of taking the medication without eating and ended up vomiting. Good luck!"

Tony Dee #2 August 29, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I want to let everyone know about how I reacted to chantex.....DAY 7 AND 8 I am soooo tired i cant move nor have the desire to move. I am mad angry and confused dont know why! I was getting sleeping and I told myself I needed to go to bed So I setup and I was already in bed! ( I thought I was at the computer desk studying! it is 4 pm now and I have been asleep about 10 times since I woke up at 5am. All I want to do is sleep I am so tired I even dream ( in color) about being tired. Thankfully this hit me on the weekend, tomorrow I have to work! Hopefully I will be able to move! I dont worry about having cigarettes anymore I really dont have the fierceness I used to about " I GOT TO HAVE A SMOKE!!!!!!" I am just numb about it now"

ole smoker (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Day 20 no smokes can't believe it. Have had most of the side effects but just keep on going and think they won't last forever. Been smoking over a packet of 30 a day for 40 years. JUST KEEP GOING"

Little monster August 23, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I took Chantix 5 years ago for 11 weeks. I have am still smoke free. I was fortunate in that I didn't experience any of the possible side effects. I still don't have any urges to smoke and am enjoying life as a non smoker."

Ohio Native (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016