User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Varenicline Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Varenicline to treat Smoking Cessation

Champix (varenicline): "I have been a packet a day smoker for 32 years, until a persistent cough noted by my GP sent me off for a chest xray. Diagnosis = COPD!! I commenced Champix with mixed feelings....I really did love my ciggies and could not imagine my life without them. I did not pick a stop day and on day 4 noted I had cut my packet a day to now lasting 2 days. I lite my last cigarette on the morning of day 10, took 3 draws and thought YUK!!! That was 2 weeks ago now and honestly the smell or even the thought of inhaling a cigarette makes me sick and literally feel my stomach doing tumble turns!!!! I still get the nausea lasting up to 2 hours even with food....but have rewarded myself with a piece of jewellery with money saved so far!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I am on the 3rd week of Champix. I was smoking 15-20 p/day for over 30 years. I have not quit yet but ciggies taste so bad that I can only have a few drags before I feel sick. I have read a lot of comments about people giving up in the 1st week. I feel weak because I still give in to cravings but tell myself that 3-4 p/day is better than 15-20 p/day. Nausea is pretty bad but I am persevering with it, taking with food doesn't seem to make any difference. I have heard about other side effects - restless nights, weird dreams, feeling high etc -I have experienced none of these. I shall continue on with tablets until the end of the first pack and see what my doctor says about going onto the next stage."

SandyB66 July 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Smoked cigarettes for over 20 years now i am free of nicotine and smoking for 1 year. Thank you Champix. I was a real addict."

Ahmet Guvencer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Started age 18 Smoked 37 years Up to about 1 1/2+ packs a day when I first tried Chantix realized in the first week that it was probably going to work so I stopped it because I wasn't ready to quit smoking. When I was ready the second time I stopped at the end of the first week because I had no desire and it was pointless to try. That was January 2012 and I haven't thought or wanted a cigarette since. So Chantix did what it said it would and for me no bad or vivid dreams or anything BUT (and I'm not alone ) that week is the same week I lost or severely altered my sense of smell which used to be better than average. Coincidence? It might be a synergistic reaction specific to some people. And I can't taste since January 2015, 3 years later."

sally annish July 9, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "After smoking for 22 years, I started my sixth week today and I couldn't be happier that I started Chantix. I have not had any side effects whatsoever while taking this medicine. I have been told that I seem happier and goofier (in a good way). Starting Chantix has actually helped with not drinking alcohol during social events, happy hour, dinner, etc. The smoking and drinking definitely went hand-in-hand. With that said, Chantix has helped in more ways than one! In the long run, I will have more money in my pocket, too! I have more energy, no cravings for smoking, more active, I don't miss out on a lot of conversations due to stepping out to smoke, smell better and simply more time on my hands. Good Luck to all!"

Omaha, NE July 7, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I am currently on my second week of this medication and have noticed a decrease in the urge to smoke. I was a pack and a half a day smoker for 25 years and I am down to a half a pack. This is huge for me. I am totally set on quitting and I believe that this drug is going to kick my habit! Will update when medication is complete."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Today is day 8 of my starter pack. I've still been smoking since I started, but definitely less. With the first 1mg tablet which was this morning I vomited for the first time, though I have been feeling nausea since day 1. Also. I realised today that my sense of smell for tobacco smoke is exstra. I stink when I smoke. I have tried quitting once before. Lasted about a day. So far I definitely think it will be possible with all the changes I'm noticing. Will keep posting and rating as time goes."

Lollos July 6, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I started smoking the day I turned 18 and at first it was just as a joke, but over time it became an addiction (I am 4 months shy of being 20). My family and friends hated that I smoked but I didn't care until about a month ago when I tried to go on a hike and was quickly out of breath - I hated it. I decided to quit smoking and started taking Chantix only 5 days ago. I had planned on smoking through the whole first week but on day 3 I realized that I wasn't craving it as much, and now on day 5, cigarettes taste absolutely terrible. I do experience some side effects: nausea, fatigue, stomach pain, and amazingly vivid dreams (not scary, unless you count a cat being able to literally multiply every few minutes as scary)."

Mak23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "This is the 2nd time I've taken Chantix. I have learned a few things to watch for this time. First, you MUST EAT when you take the medication. If you don't eat, you will get sick. Second, is that the dreams are so strange. They aren't scary but they are vivid and odd. This medication has worked well for me. Stay on the medicine the full 90 days. I quit smoking at day 10 both times. Do remember that this drug doesn't work the same for everyone so be careful."

BrandieK (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Smoker for 35 years, Took Chantix for one month....8 years come this september as a non-smoker....Thank-you Chantix"

Ronda Johnson Phoenix,AZ (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "it is just a magic. it takes you back to the time you had never smoked..."

alobar (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I started Chantix on June 1 with a June 30 quit date. On the 15th I ran out of cigarettes and decided I'd try to wake up without them and feel it out. It is June 30 today and I haven't had a cigarette since. I have urges but try to push them aside. Chantix made me strong enough to not need them without even knowing it. I've smoked for 15 years and haven't quit this long on anything, including the patch. I recommend it for sure. You do get nauseous but take the pill with food and it passes after about ten minutes. Just fight it off. Dreams were cool but I did have trouble falling asleep at times. It's definitely all worth the reward. My insurance covered the entire Rx, I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck to you too!"

Mara Ha July 1, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I have used these to completely stop smoking, I took as prescribed, with no noticable side effects. I am cigarette free now for 7 weeks, and there are times that I would happily sell everyone I knew into slavery(yes an exageration) for a smoke, but these have become much fewer, and also much less intense. To point now I had one today, the first this week, and it lasted a couple seconds and was gone. Compared to how it was before using this, when it would result in an hours of restlessness until I got a cigarrette. I would recommend to anyone wanting to stop, it will still take willpower, but this will make those low times much easier to handle, and also make them fewer."

JohnAF June 30, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Just over 2 1/2 years ago, after smoking for over 40 years, I quit. With the help of Chantix of course. The cravings (that everyone gets) are down to once every 2 or 3 months. Had several small Heart attacks and then one BIG one. Rushed in and has emergency quintuple by-pass surgery. Doctors said after that I wouldn't have made it one more hour without the surgery. One hour! I'm so glad to be here. True my life isn't what I hoped for at my age now (59) but it beats the alternative. Chantix was heaven scent to me. Yes it disrupted my sleep and gave me completely wild crazy dreams (in vivid color). But it works....IT WORKS.. If you let it, If you want it so bad you stop fooling yourself. It can be done and anyone can do it, Believe it!!!"

Glad to be here Dad. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Female smoker for 35 years (1+ pack a day). Took 1 prescription of chantix (did not renew it) Experienced zero side effects. Have not had one cigarette or even come close to wanting one in almost 5 years!! Chantix changed my life. I did initially gain weight, but have since lost it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "Was put on this medication by my GP having used patches, and inhalers to no avail."

Samas (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Like some others I was not dead set on smoking immediately but had some health concerns that required I quit. I was a pack a day smoker. I smoked all throughout the first 7 days of the pill as it said that was fine but by the 3rd or 4th day my want to smoke diminished and I was smoking maybe half a cigarette instead of full so when the full dosing started I had no problem quitting. I have been smoke free a week now and have the urge about once a day but I think that is because of habit and boredom more than the medication not working. Mostly I don't even think about it anymore. It really had taken over so much of my life and now, Poof, its gone. No side effects besides really great dreams. Coventry Ins covered 100% no out of pocket."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Day 4. No side effects and no reduction in cravings."

Clarkrrt12 June 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I smoked for 37 years and quit with Chantix. I stopped after 3 weeks continued medication for about 6 weeks. Side effects was some nausea lasting for about 30 minuets after taking. Did have headaches some. Had Great dreams. I felt like I would never be able to quit but 2 months before I started I seen 2 of my coworkers quit and they smoked like 2 packs a day and I smoked less than a pack. I started Chantix with a positive attitude that this was going to work for me and could not be happier with the results. I am now 6 months smoke free even had almost a full pack in my purse for about a month then threw them in the back seat of my car one day because they were in my way. I am confident that I will remain smoke free and with more money."

donabird June 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "Was told to quit smoking after having a stroke on 7/28/07. I really had no desire to quit smoking but took the Chantix as prescribed. Smoked my last cigarette on10/29/07. Still have no desire to smoke. Only adverse side effect was the drug caused milk to taste terrible."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I started taking chantex once I started my new job. I normally smoke a pack- a pack and a half a day. And just about everything is a trigger for me. I literally live 20 minutes away from work, and I'll smoke 2 cigarettes there, and home. I've always been the type to smoke half a cigarette and then throw it out because I didn't want it anymore, but then 10 minutes later I would light up another one. I'm on day 15 now, and I've cut down to about half a pack a day. I'm trying to quit completely, but I'm having a hard time getting the timing right. (I am a freak when it comes to wasting money, weird I know considering I smoke). The first few days I had very vivid nightmares. But that's about it for side effects."

Bri2 June 10, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I started Champix on 6.3.16 and wondered if they would work after smoking 20 a day for 50 years. On the 13th day I felt really sick when I lit a cig so the next day I had no desire to have one. I'm into my 11th week without a cig and feel so much better. Oh and I have been taking one tablet a day as two were too much for me. The side effects I had were waking up at three each morning and after stopping the night tab my sleeping pattern returned. Many friends colleagues and family have remarked on how lovely my skin has become since quitting. If I can do it after all those years so can you..........Good Luck."

Lilipet June 1, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "I could never seem to give it up on my own. I took chantix, not thinking it would even work, and quit but then started 6 months later "

Monkeyface969 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

Champix (varenicline): "I had great results. Within a short time of taking them I had stopped smoking. Taking 2 tablets daily wasn't the best thing for me so my doctor recommended only taking one and that was prefect. I only took them for about two months then stopped. I've been smoke free for about 7 months and it's been the best thing ever. I also was and am able to around smokers without dying inside for a smoke."

Silvia P (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2016

Chantix (varenicline): "First off everybody will not experience the same side effects from using Chantix. As for me I'm glad I decided to take it. I noticed the medication started working about day 8. Cigarettes made me slightly nauseated. They slowly became less satisfying and desirable. The urges by then to smoke were minimal and withdrawals were none from the start. I did have some nausea in the beginning after taking the pill that went away after a few minutes. Other than that no noticeable side effects. I'm just now starting week 4. The urge to smoke now is completely gone. I don't feel like I ever want to smoke again."

1TDub May 24, 2016