User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Smoking Cessation 1103 reviews 19 medications

8.9
Summary of Varenicline reviews 1103 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Varenicline

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "20/day smoker for 32 years. Never thought I would be a non smoker even for a day. Started Champix on 2nd Jan 2017 and set a quit date of 17 Jan 2017 (trying to maximize smoking time of course). The first day into taking the pills I could feel the difference. By the time I got to 8th and 9th Jan, cigerettes were tasting horrible. I forced myself to the 12th and could not smoke anymore. Smoked my last one at 9.20pm on 12 Jan, woke up the next morning, called my boss and said I wasn't coming in to work. Battled through two mornings of withdrawal symptoms mainly behavioral / habitual. Only once did I get nauseous and that was when I took Champix without food."

Quitter... (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "3rd attempt on Champix..quit for 2 1/2 years the first time, then started again! The drug works great, however you need put some effort. Day 8, I've cut back from 1/2 pack per day, to 1-2 cigs daily. My advice to you..if trying to quit on Champix, when you have a craving, distract yourself with something else, you'll find it passes quickly."

APERSA (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I tried this drug 2 times before. Each time I stopped smoking for a couple of months, however, I took up smoking again on both occasions. This last time I changed the way I thought and took the entire prescribed amount eacht day as directed. I didn't suffer nausea this time and I think it is because I ate a full meal and had a glass of water prior to having the medication. I also made a decision that I would never touch a cigarette again. I made sure I was around people who smoked during the first few months and anytime I craved in these situations I told myself I wasn't a smoker and it was disgusting. 12 months on I feel fantastic and I don't miss been a smoker at all!"

Jasmin33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I am 72 yrs old. Smoking for over 50 yrs. Tried the patches,to get burn marks on my arms, and itch me like crazy. I am a cancer surviver of 20 yrs. My Dr. put me on Chantix, two pills a day and after one mo. while still smoking, I woke up one morning and said that's it, no more smoking. That was 7 mo. ago, with no side affects at all. Thank God for Chantix."

KT SR. January 9, 2017

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Magical Product!! I didn't expect such results. I used it for 3 weeks, didn't complete the 4th week and I am not taking any dosage now since 2 weeks. Smoked about 2 during that time and the taste was disgusting. Side effects are very minimal. Highly recommended for people who want to quit. The urge to smoke vanishes within days, but the habit remains. Like I used to go for smoking at work every hour. Now after every hour I stand up as part of my habit. But smoking is what I dislike. If you want to quit you should give it a try."

RizwanZubairi January 4, 2017

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I had been smoking for 42 years. I have tried different ways to stop smoking and it seemed that neither one of them helped. I would always cheat and smoke one here and smoke one there. Chantix is the only medicine didn't help me quit smoking . When I was smoking I was smoking 2 to 2 1/2 packs a day. I can now stay with Chantix I have been smoke-free for nine years. Thank you Chantix"

Timmy T January 3, 2017

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Started Chantix and had horrible dreams at night and depression / suicidal thoughts during the day. After a week, I stopped taking it and continued to smoke. I tried the drug again the next year and had amazing results. The medication completely curbed my desire to smoke. I also lost the urge to drink Mt. Dew. Anyways, I quit smoking for 2 years. After not smoking for 2 years my oldest child became ill and was hospitalized. I ended up smoking again during this life event. I immediately started taking Chantix after he left the hospital and the drug worked again. I have not smoke for many years and have lost the urge to pick the habit back up. Please, please do yourself a favor and use this life enhancing drug. It was the best decision"

JDLimbo January 3, 2017

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I don't think there is anything on the market as effective as champix. Get a coarse of tablets and within 2 weeks cigarettes taste vile and you have no desire for them anyway. I don't think giving up gets any easier they are not the nicest tabs to take but we'll worth using. As a 30 a day smoker I would say I was dubious at first but they work. I have tried all sorts but these pills are really effective."

Somerset rob (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I used Champix in the UK in 2007 and I became smoke free in 6mths. Stupidly, 18 mths ago, having moved to a country where smoking is allowed everywhere plus a major trauma, I started again. Champix is Rx free here, but when I used it in the UK, it was a new drug, and I had support of my GP and a cessation nurse, and I later went on to advise other users. My advice to anyone using Champix is understand how it works and affects you. It does have side effects but these can be countered by how you take the drug, the dosage and your own frame of mind. I took the tablets with food and plenty of water to counter the nausea, and halved the pills. I enjoyed the dreams! For me its a wonder drug and I am starting again today. Good Luck!"

Kivvy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Day 1, that night, I broke out in a horrible, madly itching rash and had severe abdominal pain. I am afraid to take it again. Does anyone have a solution for this? Benedryl, rtc?"

GwaMa December 30, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "F...ing great. It is great not to smoke. I have been smoking for 40 years and now I no longer need to I'm so happy to be free from it"

Rick a b December 30, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "11 months since I have smoked... 11 MONTHS! I have never quit this long before. And it's all thanks to Champix. I never thought I would be a non smoker but here I am. I was on 3 different inhalers and a chronic cough. But it's all gone! Stick with the chamix peeps! It WORKS!! I smoked for 35 years, a pack a day and I am now a non smoker! "

Lovebeinganonsmoker December 29, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Nothing less than incredible. I have not even had any side affects; I'm a bit disappointed because I was curious about the funky dreams I had heard was common. Not a one. I started August '16 and stopped smoking about 3 weeks later. I'm on my last month of it now and will stop mid-January '17. It's really cool/interesting the way it takes away that desire. I'm kind of afraid of what will happen when I stop, though. Fortunately my insurance only made me pay $30 per month."

Causemoi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I'm 62 years old and had been smoking since I was 12. For financial and health reasons decided it was time to quit. With the help of Chanix, I was able to quit after 3 weeks on the medication, I continued to take it for another 2 weeks before stopping it all together. Glad to say I am nicotine free for 7 months now. Not going to say at times I don't want a smoke but being able to tell myself I don't smoke and don't have to smoke is what I couldn't do in the past. So thank you, Chanix."

M. L. Smith (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I used chantix 10 years ago when I had been smoking for 30 years. I did not really want to quit but felt I should with the health issues and all. It worked for me without my having any willpower. I had never before tried to quit because I knew I wouldn't succeed so I was very surprised that this helped me quit."

Rojill December 17, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Well today is day 4 and as of today I am 1 day smoke-free I know it said I can smoke up until seven days but I ran out of cigarettes and I decided not to get anymore and to be honest I don't even have the urge to smoke I thought it would be really hard to quit I have tried the patches really didn't like the way that it made me feel asked the doctor for help and she gave me Chantix hopefully I won't have to go no longer than the 12 weeks thank you not only for me but for my four boys What a wonderful way to start the new year smoke-free"

Wannag December 15, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "This is my second go around with Chantix -- the last time being 7 or so years ago. I'm on my second day with no smoking, (9th day on drug) and I feel like I have more energy, and generally feel like some cloud (no pun) has been lifted -- I haven't felt like this since I was 14 (started smoking a pack a day at 15). I've been a smoker for 30 years. I fear I'm on some kind of "pink cloud" that addicts often refer to. I've had some strange dreams, and had trouble falling asleep last night -- but aside from that, no other side effects. I'm hoping the dreams don't turn into nightmares, as they were so terrible 7 years ago when I first tried Chantix, that I had to stop."

ForgotToSmoke (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I have smoked since I was 12, quit from the age of 15-16 and started smoking again. I am currently 37. In the summer on a nice day sitting outside I could blow through 4 packs, winter 3 packs. I literally could suck down an entire cig in 3 minutes. I know two packs a day is considered a heavy smoker, 4 is death. I couldn't stop. Today is day 11 of Chantix and I am down to 1 cig a day. The medicine literally doesn't allow you to find any enjoyment in smoking. It tastes different, feels different and you do not get the blood stream satisfaction like you once did. People, if this medication can make me not enjoy a cig trust me when I say it's a miricle drug. I intend on writing the makers a thank you e-mail."

Grjnnf December 14, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I'm on day 10 of champix, I read Allen Carrs book last week which spurred me on to throw a nearly full pack of cigarettes onto the fire Saturday night. The book put me into the frame of mind and Champix gave me a helping hand. I only stopped 2 days ago so its very early days, but I'm surprised at how easy it has been. I have been lucky so far with side effects..some very vivid dreams and feeling a bit low..things I can push on through if it helps me achieve my goal of being a non smoker!"

peggypoo December 12, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I am in awe!! Over 30 years of smoking and I don't remember even smoking! I have been smoke free now for 1.5 years and feel great! Tried several times to quit in my lifetime with no success. Thank you Chantix!"

Jeff G December 12, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I smoked for 38 years, 1-2 packs a day. I started in April 1972, while in basic training. I took .5mg of Chantix for 2 weeks while smoking and in November 2010, at 930pm while driving to work, I had my last cigarette. I began the 1mg regimen the next morning. My mother died in May of 2011, and I stayed smoke free. I divested the family of mom's house, belongings and accounts, and stayed smoke free. I credit Chantix! I know that I had not asked my PCP to write the script for Chantix, I would still be smoking."

Art Living (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Me again and it has been 6 months now no cigarettes. My pharmacist was most helpful, once I was very sick to my stomach, he said to me we give the same dose to a man that weights 200 pounds as someone who weights 100 pounds. Think about it. If the dose you are taking is too strong cut the pill in half or in a quarter. If you have heavy dreams take a lighter dose maybe earlier during the day say latest 4pm"

no more cigs (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Hi to start with it i am or should I say I was a 36 year smoker. I'm on day 16 have not had a smoke for 3 days. No issue to report from taking the pill. Now I will say you have to keep your self busy. It's odd I still want a smoke but the pill keeps me from smoking .I will update as time go's on. December 07.2016. So day 7 smoke free.less withdrawal now.I have just started to work out."The keep your self busy" and changing habits bad to good.I have lost 3 lbs.That's it for now."

Chelseaguy (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I have use Champix before and stopped smoking for 2 years.I stupidly started and have gone back on them.I have tried lots of different nicotine replacement methods and this is the only one that work.Those of you with little will power (like me)??This is for you.I do suffer side effects but can manage them as the alternative is smoking! Side effects include stomach pains and sickness.To solve this take the tablet after a decent meal and lower dose (I can manage on the .5mg).Hard to sleep and nightmares - no solution but better than waking up coughing up phelgm every morning. At times still get the urge to have a cigarette but experience of this is a big mistake as they taste awful and as soon as you light up, you will put it out. Keep busy"

Arie2016 December 7, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "It's been 30 days with no smoking. Use to smoke 10-15 a day for 30 years. If I eat something before taking pill I'm ok. Some crazy dreams but breathing great so it's worth it"

Reggiebud09 December 7, 2016