User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Champix, Chantix

Learn more about Varenicline.

Smoking Cessation 1079 reviews 19 medications

8.8
Summary of Varenicline reviews 1079 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Varenicline

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I have been on Chantix for 5 weeks now and smoke free for 4 of the 5 weeks. I was skeptical about the side effects but was more scared about what it would be like as a non-smoking adult. What would I do with the extra time? How would I handle stressful situations? Well... I handle life just fine, if not better, as a non-smoker! I had a few slight side effects such as a bit of nausea and a mild headache the first couple of days but otherwise I am extremely happy with the results. I continued smoking as normal for the first week. However, as the week continued I noticed that each cigarette I had started tasting worse and worse. By the sixth day, they were actually making me nauseous. I quit on the seventh day. The only time I have any urges is when I have a few (or more.......) alcoholic drinks but have managed to work through them without lighting up. It's been so awesome being able to breathe easier, smell better, sleep more soundly, less snoring (according to my wife), no more constant coughing, and overall, more energy. I now love being a non-smoker!"

New Life Now! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I've tried this drug multiple times. DIfferent things going on at different times. it is a strange drug."

triplestarter (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Hi to start with it i am or should I say i was a 36 year smoker.I'm on day 16 have not had a smoke for 3 days.No issue to report from taking the pill.Now I will say you have to keep your self busy.It's odd I still want a smoke but the pill keeps me from smoking.I will update as time go's on."

Chelseaguy (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I smoked for 20 years. I tried everything, zyban, patches, gum, hypnosis, vaping, etc. I had no problem making it a few days and a few times I even lasted a month, but I could never make it stick. I thought I could never quit. Chantix worked. Don't get me wrong, the side affects are awful. I had horrible, vivid nightmares. It also gave me painful stomach cramps and made me nauseous with the first 30 minutes of taking them (I found that taking the pills with a glass of milk helped). I'm glad I stuck with it though. I ended up taking the pills for about 3 months. Stopped smoking about 1 week in. It has now been almost 2 years smoke free. I still have the occasional craving ( maybe once a week) but they pass within a few minutes."

John4836 December 2, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Smoker for 53 years at pack a day. I am now on my 10th day of Chantix. The first 2 days I could'nt sleep. That went away, but when the dose increased on day 4 my stomach was always hurting. I took the pills right before I ate but still made my stomach hurt really bad and couldn't eat. The last couple of days I have waited to take the pill until after I finish my meal and that seems to have helped greatly. I smoked my last 1/2 cigarette this morning and would love to have one now at 1:00 pm. I have noticed that my cravings are reduced and have smoked only about 3 cigs a day for the past week. This is my last hope so I will stay with the Chantix untill the program is done. I didn't really want to quit but I knew my health depends on it."

jlo68 November 30, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Using Chantix was the best decision I have made! It won't make you quit smoking but if your ready it's a great tool. I followed the directions as it said and on the seventh day I quit and havnt picked up another cigarette. I did gain a few pounds the first 2 weeks after quitting but after that I went back to my normal eating habits although I do chew a lot of gum. I only experienced weird dreams as side effects which went away after a few weeks, definitely not bothersome. I definitely recommend Chantix if your ready!"

Quitter from Ky November 28, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Day 9 of Medication: Doctor told me all side effects and told me to hang with it for at least a week hoping side effects would decrease if I experienced any. Day 9 and I'm just as nauseous as day 1. I eat a hefty breakfast every morning now as I thought the first few days my breakfast just wasn't cutting it with the food intake but still feel sick to my stomach instantly after taking it-I wouldn't say you will gain weight with this even if you eat more since after taking you don't want to eat for the rest of the day. By dinner time I have to force my self to take 2nd pill as I know for the rest of the evening I will be sleepy and uncomfortable. some vivid dreams but nothing major. I feel the decrease of wanting to smoke but sick all the time"

Rose0124 November 27, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "today is day 7 of using chantix. I'm a 33 year old disabled army vet. I have bi-polar, depression, PTSD, borderline personality disorder and I have been smoking for 20 years. I have tried everything to quit smoking, patches made me want to smoke more, the gum made my stomach feel like it was on fire and cold turkey made me homicidal. On day one I was smoking a pack a day. by day 4 I was smoking 1/2 a pack now I smoke about 3 cigarettes a day, but only a 1/2 a cigarette at a time. I have no nausea, no sleep issues, and no other side effects that I have noticed. I just seem to be be craving cigarettes less and less. I'm really hoping that within a few more days wont smoke at all."

Cl0v3r (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "I was very suicidal on this and ended up taking an over dose."

Msfeather (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I started back up once. Then went back on Chantix 6 months later. The second time I just forgot to smoke. Family members pointed out I had not smoked all day. I have NO thoughts of smoking. And I am actually disgusted by the thought. I smoked for 20 years. And now my nicotine receptors have been totally reversed. I think Chantix is incredible. I had no side effects. Thank you Chantix."

Non-smoker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 16, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "After a stroke at 36 years old it became quite apparent I needed to quit. There was no way I could do it on my own though. I only smoked 1.5 packs per day but they were menthol and I inhaled them very deeply. Waking my wife up at night coffing for about an hour along with the stroke I figured what the hell. She said I was quite nasty while I was on it ( 2 months ) but I really don't remember it. I did however eat a pill on an empty stomach once and thought it was burning a hole in my stomach that went on for about three hours. Chantix saved my life it's been 12 years and still going. Thanks Chantix Creators Doug"

EverD99 November 15, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I smoked for 38 years, half a pack a day. 2 days of Chantix my cigarettes tasted awful. I get no side affects, I'm sleeping so much better, I used to wake up in the middle of the night and think I had to get up and take a couple puffs to go back to sleep. Now when I wake up I fall right back to sleep. The best part is I don't even think about cigarettes, I'm on day 20. I'm just afraid once I stop the Chantix I might get cravings. I really feel blessed at this point for just being able to stop smoking, especially with no side affects. Oh and how can I forget, the Chantix was free through my insurance, also a blessing."

Grateful blessed nonsmoker November 8, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I loved smoking and didn't have plans to actually quit. However a friend wanted to quit and I agreed to join in her goal to help her with the understanding I would smoke again. She used the gum, patches etc. I chose Chantix and ten years later she is smoking and I'm a non smoker still. Amazing! It took 1 1/2 months that's it."

Ten years! November 8, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I started taking Chantix on 10/14/16 after discussing with my doctor what my options are as a bipolar. Because I have not had an episode or been on medication for two years we decided it would be safe to try. I selected 11/01/16 as my quit day. 7 days into the medication I really started to notice that cigarettes weren't satisfying anymore and would often get a headache and an odd metallic after taste afterward. I went from a pack a day to maybe 6 cigarettes a day afterward. I smoked my last cigarette on Halloween at around 9. It's been 7 days and I'm still smoke free. My husband still smokes and I'm fine. I've had zero side effects and finally confident that I can stay quit this time."

Pineapple808 November 8, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "Today is just 15 days I am taking Champix, last weekend I smoke just one on sat and one on sunday Still craving sometimes but its not too much, even after an argument with my workers or even drink on Sunday night did not feel , I need to smoke too bad. Although I did not have insurance and cost me almost $300 CAD but it worth it since I smoked one pack of Dunhill $15 /DAY!! my breathing is better, I DO NOT COUGH..and sleep already better ! today I have not smoked at all!........Really recommend"

Really impressed (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "It been over 10 years now since I took chantix I must say this 1 of best I have taken I have never had the urge to smoke again even if I have a few drinks or smell someone else smoking around me don't bother me. Just wondering if you ever do updates on people who have took it and still never went back smoking. But thank you Chantix for providing a great medication to save peoples lives."

Phyllis Sommers November 6, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I smoked for over 45 years and have tried everything! Cold turkey, Nicorette gum, the patch, and hypnosis, to name a few. My husband badgered me for years, I knew I always smelled like cigarette smoke. I had to wash my hair everyday so the smell wouldn't linger. Every time we went somewhere, my first thought was where and when would be able to grab a smoke. It scared me to think I wouldn't be able to. Like many people I felt a cigarette was a friend--it calmed me down when I was flustered, feeling anxious, scared, depressed--there wasn't an emotion that did not require a cigarette. I used Chantx--success! Thank you! Non-smoker for 7 years."

SueMcl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I posted my experience during my 6th week of Chantix on July 7, 2016. 113 days - smoke free - today ! No side effects and I could have stopped two weeks before the full three month program; however, I wanted to complete it to its entirety. My father even passed away during this time. I stayed strong, continued on the program and did not stray away. Keeping busy is key and minor changes in your daily routine helps. Per my previous post, Chantix helped with drinking alcohol as well. I have not had a sip of alcohol since June. The smoking and drinking went hand in hand. I know I do not want to go back to the smoking lifestyle; however, I am fine being around others that smoke and drink in social environments. Good Luck!"

OmahaNE (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I was a 'social' smoker for 20 years which was progressively becoming a daily issue, after trying everything including hundreds of $$ on Hypnos which didn't work I went to my doctor who told me I use ciggies as a reward at the end of the day. She mentioned champix might be beneficial. I take anti depressants as well. Within a few days of champix I wasn't enjoying cigs and by day 10 or 11 I stopped completely. This was 6 months ago. I did slip twice while drinking too much wine as I stopped taking the champix prematurely and started taking it again Only side effect was sickness, like morning sickness. Champix makes it easy to quit as it really reduces the cravings. Such a positive experience"

Emblemem October 30, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I started chanix about 3 months ago.I tried to do it before this time and almost always forgot to take it so when I had my next doctors appointment I asked the nurse to start me back on it she said she'd give me 3 months to quit and here it is almost 3 and I haven't touch a cigarette for a week after smoking 1 to 3 packs a day depending on if a beer or 2 was involved I never thought I could do it now my fiance is just starting it cause he seen that I could do it the real test will be if I go out and drink socially if anyone else has done it please let me know don't want to make the mistake of going back to smoking again"

Deannawise October 29, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I have been on this medication for about a month but had to stop. I gave it a 5 because it his HIGHLY effective at getting me to stop smoking. It wipes out any satisfaction that you get from smoking and makes it borderline unpleasant. Unfortunately, I had severe side effects. After about the third week I noticed a pounding in my head and neck and my blood pressure was 160/100. This high blood pressure continued until about 36 hours after my last dose. Incidentally, I had also cut my dose way down to .5mg a day. I found that I was getting the same results with a low dose."

sabrina1011 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "My husband and I are on day 7 and it's the first day I've not had a cigarette, by days 3 I was already down to only 3 a day (first thing, after lunch and after tea) and doing it together has definitely helped. Like other stories on here (and doctors warnings) we have both had extreme nausea, headaches, nightmares and inability to sleep all night but you know what if it means I won't be smoking again I can put up with those for the short term. After 20 years of smoking it finally took a doctors warning due to mild emphysema to get me to quit, for others out there don't let it get that far. We didn't pick a quit date we just went with the flow and let our body tell us when we had had enough, when I try to smoke now it just makes me feel sick"

Can't thank it enough (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I'm up to week 5 and I can't believe how well I'm doing. I was nervous after reading heaps of reviews about the drug but I talked it over with my GP and she told me to watch my moods. I was a bit nauseous and grumpy but only in the first week. I continued to smoke a few days past my "quit" date, but I realised that Champix isn't a magic pill. You still need will power and a desire to quit. Using Champix means you need about 1 10th of the willpower you would need cold turkey. I still have cravings but you just have to push through them."

SimLou October 20, 2016

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I had smoked for 40 years and finally decided this summer to quit. I followed the instructions and took Chantix for 1 week (7 days) prior to my quit date. On Day 8, I quit smoking. That was exactly 8 weeks ago today and I have not had a cigarette since. The first week was the most difficult, especially the first weekend and having a few beers. The first few days I realized how much of a habit it was and how I had structured my entire life around having a cigarette. It was eye opening as I was a 2 pack a day smoker towards the end. You really have to want to quit though. Chantix is not going to miraculously make you quit. Pick a date and stop is the best advice I can provide you. Be confident in yourself that you can quit."

UHohn (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2016

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: "I had a very negative experience on Champix. 5 days in and I've thrown away the packet. Day 1 I was nauseous and vomiting and had terrifying nightmares, dry mouth, hot sweats Day 2 My mood changed, I felt like I was in a trance/had been sedated. Still having terrifying nightmares. Day 3,4,5 Sent home from work, feeling severely depressed and exhausted, can't function. I'm so upset that Champix affected me like this. I've read so many great reviews but it just wasn't for me. I could have dealt with all the side effects if I didn't work full time. But even customers were picking up on my "zombie" like state. Best of luck to everyone else trying to give up! I'm going to have to try good old fashioned will power!"

Bek94 October 13, 2016