User Reviews for Varenicline

Also known as: Chantix, Tyrvaya, Champix

Varenicline has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 1,620 ratings on Drugs.com. 84% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 9% reported a negative experience.

Smoking Cessation
8.6
Dry Eye Disease
Summary of Varenicline reviews 8.6 1,620 reviews

Reviews for Varenicline

Fish · Taken for less than 1 month · February 24, 2020

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I smoked for 40 years & had never really tried to stop, but as I was getting older & becoming more health conscious I thought I really need to try & give up the cigarettes. I started with the champix, set my date & off I went, almost 6 years later I am a non smoker & even detest the smell of it. I had no side effects what so ever, I love not being a slave to smoking anymore.”

BakerMargera · February 8, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I'm using Chantix along with lozenges and patches. I've attempted to quit smoking with patches and lozenges alone off and on for years with out success. The addition of Chantix is making all the difference. I've been smoking for 10 years and for the last 4 years I've been smoking between a pack to a pack and a half a day. Quitting seemed impossible! I'd tell myself everyday "this pack is my last pack" as I drove to buy another pack! Once I started treatment I didn't know what to expect. Days 1-3 I smoked 1-2 cigarettes a day. On day 4 I couldn't smoke even 2 puffs before just putting it out in disgust. I didn't smoke a cigarette today, It didn't even cross my mind. I feel healthier and more alert. I can take deeper breaths without the phlegm, my eyes don't burn in the morning, Im saving money, my head isn't foggy, my clothes don't smell like an ashtray, and I feel an overwhelming source of energy radiating through my body. So much improvement in just 11 days!”

Fee · February 6, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “August 2019 , walking up the block with my granddaughter, pausing every 1 min to catch my breath. I went back to my doctor and prescribed me Chantix again. 7 days starter pack, smoking half the amount. 14 days , smoking 4 a day . September 21 -19 my last cigarette to date. Here’s how Chantix helped me. One day you will get tired and hate smoking . Be strong , don’t let anything little excuse triggers smoking . Be strong . 3 days nicotine urge is gone. The biggest fight is the mental habits. Mentally something we did for years . The same routine every day . Light up before bed, Toilet, after work , before sex after sex, meals, rainy , sunny .etc. I still reach In my pocket till today. Every time you get the urge, loudly ask yourself. WHY DO I SMOKE. By the way I joined a gym and gave up coffee. Coffee and cigarettes did go hand in hand for me. So go get chantix and you will thank yourself. Gums, nicotine patches, e-cigs really makes matter worse. Good luck . Thank you chantix.”

DJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 3, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I was hospitalized the day after Christmas 2019 for other issues than smoking, stomach issues, internal bleeding and alcoholism. I have COPD, I’ve smoked ever since I was sixteen. I am 63 yrs. old. Up to 3 packs a day. I was a mess. Do to being hospitalized I could not smoke or drink. After a 5 day stay I was released New Years Eve. I was sent home dry. I tried nicotine patches for about a week and a half. Alcohol was the LAST thing on my mind. I was sooo sick! Finally my primary doctor talked me into trying chantix again. It’s been 4 weeks, no smoking at all or alcohol. I still crave a cigarette, but it’s manageable. Moment by moment, this too shall pass. Side effects: nausea and vomiting if not taken with food, I want to sleep a lot! Slight depression? Occasional headaches. A feeling of “loss”. The pros outweigh the cons at least for me. I truly believe I was going to die after being hospitalized. By the grace of God it was wide awakening.”

Mojofiters · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 31, 2019

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I began taking Champix a couple of months ago. The side effects are pretty grim. I felt nauseous most days, struggled to concentrate at work, exhausted by 7pm, then experienced some very vivid & bizarre nightmares. I persevered with it though because I was determined to stop this time and knew people who'd successfully stopped using it. I stopped smoking on day 10 (after vomiting with my last cigarette) and haven't smoked since. I honestly can't believe how effective it's been. I spoke to my doctor about stopping it early because I was sure I no longer needed them, he said it was entirely up to myself and everyone was different. I took my last tablet on day 35. I have now been smoke free for around 8 weeks and feel great for it. I just wish I'd done this years ago instead of wasting time and money on patches/vaping/hypnotherapy(!)/inhalators etc. I have been a heavy smoker of tobacco and weed for 20 years and if I can stop, honestly, anyone can!!”

Linnie · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 8, 2020

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “After 40 years of smoking, and numerous attempts to quit using all different patches gum etc. I even paid a fortune for Hypnosis but no good. I read about Champix and was keen to try it. Within 3 months I was a non smoker. I had read that there were some side effects but I had none whatsoever. With champix I had virtually no cravings , Sometimes I still felt that something was missing (that would have been the stinky fag in my hand) but that was just habit and that was the easiest bit to change. 8 years later and I still cannot believe how easily I found it. Thank you Champix and whoever invented you X”

Smokeless · January 3, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “If you want to stop this really helps. Started taking at Thanksgiving and was down to three cigarettes by Christmas Eve and stopped Christmas Day. Have had my moments but will never go back. One of my greatest accomplishments and no nicotine supplement to buy or spend money on. Went from 2.5 packs a day to done in a month after 40 years of being controlled by a little white stick. Fantastic!,”

Jns1stkd · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 23, 2021

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “This is my 3rd time taking Chantix. The first time I quit smoking almost immediately. But I started again. The 2nd time (years later) I had too many side effects so I stopped taking it. Fast forward a couple more years after my significant other was sick with COVID for 2 months. He kept telling me I should quit. I set my quit date for the end of March 2021. Tomorrow will be two weeks since my last cigarette. Officially a non smoker as if 3/9/21”

Fletch77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 18, 2020

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “Now then, I was taking champix for 5 months and totally smoke free and I'm glad to say I've not smoked for a further two months without the drug and feel great. The thought of smoking again is not an option plus I've got a jar of money totalling nearly £3.5k... makes you think.”

Alida · February 29, 2020

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I only completed the starter pack, so 4 weeks of champix. Been smoke free for a month. Champix works but my side affects included vivid dreams , irritation to annoying people, and some cloudy thinking. Still worth it I feel great now, deep breathing gets me through any urges and just feels good to be able to take deep breaths without coughing. Good luck everyone, you've got this.”

RA17 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 12, 2019

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I smoked about 20 per day for over 5 years, tried quitting numerous times. Gum - didn't work, nictotine spray - hiccups, e-cig - did nothing for me, patches - carried on smoking anyway. My quit nurse recommended Champix, I took it for a week and continued smoking as recommended, then the day came - I finished a packet and simply didn't want to buy another, no cravings or anything. No side effects for me whilst taking it. By around 3 weeks later the smell of cigarettes repulsed me, I stopped taking the champix and haven't had a single cigarette since, now about 2 years.”

Tarikt · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 28, 2019

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “This is my second review, as today I crossed 5 months smoke-free. Just wanted to remind everyone that this medicine is an Aid to quit smoking, focused on treatment of the chemical addiction. When this attempt at escaping the smoking trap started, it was clear to me that it mainly relies on successfully maintaining the willingness to forever stop smoking. Also, I found in (The Easy Way To Quit Smoking) book for Allen Carr perfect guidelines and highlights that enhances the (well) factor. A simplified illustration; Chantix is a vehicle that can help you get there, and your free well is the driver. Quitting smoking has countless physical, and psychological benefits, and might rise up to the most important decision and acheivement ever since you fell into the trap. Though might seem and feel difficult, it is indeed achievable.”

Q · Taken for less than 1 month · February 16, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “Took chantix for less than 2 weeks before quitting cigarettes. Just finished my first week of no cigarettes and NO medication. I was very ready to quit when I started chantix. Still craving but keep reminding myself of how far I've come and how I really don't enjoy smoking, I'm just bored. Find something to do - it helps. First day of no cigs or meds, I made it all the way to the store for a pack and by the time I got there, didn't want a cig. Side effects were irritability, sleepiness and definitely weird as dreams. Just kept telling myself the sooner I stop smoking , the sooner I can stop taking the meds.”

KIETH · Taken for less than 1 month · January 27, 2020

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I have been smoking for 50 years .15-20 a day now I'm 70 I decided to quite. On Champix for 3 weeks and I'm down to 2 a day for the last week. WOW!! As I live in Australia ( The most expensive country in the world for ciggys its eating into my pension. It is $25 per a pack of 20 !! Now I keep a big jar and put in the amount of money I would have spent on ciggys and see it grow. I'll be able to go on holiday after 1 year. Side effects include colorful dreams and slight nausea. No interest in the taste just the habit of having a beer and a ciggy. No more standing outside a pub in the rain feeling like a leper.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 5, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “Amazed how great this medication works. I’ve been on the medication for a month and I have had very few times that I wanted a smoke. My worst time now is after evening meal, but now only last for a couple minutes. I would definitely recommend this medicine to anyone that’s tired of letting cigarettes control your life. I WAS a smoker for 35 years. Chantix works.”

SproutFarmer · August 15, 2019

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I was advised that champix is a 3 month course to stop smoking but I could only stand 3 weeks, I felt weak, tired and nauseous the whole time. I can honestly say that I have never felt close to as bad as Champix made me feel. Before champix I was also drinking a bottle of 5% wine most evenings, my tolerance is low and I was tired of feeling groggy in the morning and the compulsion to drink. Champix turned me off alcohol before cigs, within 10 days I wasn’t smoking or drinking and it’s been 3 1/2 yrs now since I had a cig and I can count on one hand the no of times I have drank alcohol and it has been a very small amount in celebration of something like New Year. I have pre existing high blood pressure but since stopping smoking my meds have halved. Post Champix I lost 3 stone in weight. I no longer worry about not seeing my kids moving through adulthood with all the milestones that brings. Champix saved my health, my bank balance and most importantly my future with my kids. I can not recommend this medication highly enough.”

Smokeman · Taken for less than 1 month · May 4, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I have been on Chantix for 3 weeks now. I couldn't smoke past day 4, however continued till day 8. I haven't smoked in last almost 10 days. The good thing about Chantix it is so easy to manage withdrawal symptoms. I do get some weird dreams but it was easy to manage.”

gary · Taken for less than 1 month · October 3, 2020

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “Two weeks taking Champix and I haven’t had a cigarette since day 3. It says to keep smoking until week 2 but I had no desire and the last few cigarettes I had weren’t enjoyable at all. I used to smoke anywhere between 10-30 per day but now I’m finally free. I have no cravings at all, actually zero. Last night I had a couple of wines (alcohol is what I have been most worried about) and felt a mild pang but it was fine! I’ve also listened to Alan Carr’s - Easy Way To Quit Smoking (audiobook) a number of times which addresses the psychological aspects and compliments the Champix perfectly. It changed my mindset from dreading this process to actually enjoying it. This time I know I’m quit for good. Thank you Pfizer and Alan Carr you glorious bast**rds!”

JuJu · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 17, 2019

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I smoked for 32 years. I was smoking at least 2 packs a day. I love smoking. It was my stress relief. Started taking Chantix January 1, 2019 because my dr. said I need to quit and also because my husband also started taking Chantix. I really didn't have a desire to quit but "went along with it". I did not set a quit date. My last cigarette was January 10, 2019. I have had ZERO side affects with Chantix. It's been 127 days since my last cigarette. I am still on Chantix and plan on taking it one more month. I do not want to fail and start back. I still have cravings but they are not bad and they go away pretty fast. I want to remain smoke free and Chantix has been amazing.... If you want to quit, or are like me and LOVE to smoke but need to quit, try Chantix. It really works.”

JAY · January 26, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “First off, this pill works for what it is intended for. 10 days after starting, I stopped smoking and had no desire to have a cigarette. I continued using for 3 more weeks, stopped and still am not smoking.. As for side effects, I did have nausea, but if I took with food, it helped a lot. I did have very vivid enhanced dreams, but nothing scary or nothing that bothered me. I do want to add though, if you are on any psychiatric medications, I'd use caution and talk to your doctor. I have been on medication for bipolar for over 20 years, and haven't had any kind of relapse for over 10 years. However, while on this drug, I did have a set back with some depression and mood swings, where I had to take a 3 week leave of absence from work. Now, this could be just a coincidence, but maybe not. I am better now, stable on my meds, and smoke free.. I would still recommend this drug, as it was very easy and effective to quit smoking, I'd just use caution.”

Feebee · Taken for less than 1 month · July 19, 2020

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I have been a smoker for 30 odd years about 12 a day. I have had multiple attempts at quitting over the years but always started up again. I know a few people that had quit for good using Champix so thought I would try it. Well all I can say is WOW!! I am on day 23 taking Champix and have not wanted to smoke since day 10. During the first week I noticed that I could only smoke half a cigarette and only smoking about 5 a day. Then on day 10 I woke up not even wanting to smoke. Feels like a miracle. I am finally free and know that it will be life long. The only side effect for me, was a bit of nausea but found that taking it straight after brekky and dinner worked well. Give it a go and good luck ”

Donald Duck · April 4, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “I've been dipping tobacco three cans per 24 hours for 18 years, after week two of Chantix alone, I had decreased the amount to one can. I still found it difficult to just stop all together though. On week five, the first week of the continuation pack, I added nicotine gum. By week six I was able to put the dip down all together. I continued with the gum for a week after and I stopped chewing the nicotine gum and then transitioned to regular chewing gum. It was a success!! I must say you have to have the mindset that it's time to quit. You can't go into thinking your just gonna stop without trying, you won't succeed.”

Suze · September 21, 2019

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “Smoked 2 packs daily for 35 years. After the 3rd day on Chantix, smoked less than 10 cigs a day. On the 5th day, smoked 4 cigarettes. On the 6th day, I threw away my cigarettes. I have just started my 31st day on Chantix. Honestly don't think I will need the entire second month's dosage. I feel so much better; I don't want to ruin this by picking up another cigarette. There are side effects that you have to plan for and deal with such as nausea after each dose. Be sure to eat a meal before each pill and drink PLENTY of water. Have had an occasional headache and vivid dreams. None of the side effects have been deal breakers. The "magic" that makes Chantix work is directly proportional to your level of commitment to quit smoking. If you are at that point, I would highly recommend Chantix - nothing else worked for me and this has been the charm.”

RJB2017 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 23, 2019

Champix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “Hi guys, I'm on week 10 of the tablets now and oh my what a great result its been! I gave up smoking on just day 8 of taking champix and have not had a cig or cravings since! I had tried all sorts before finally giving in to seek help from my GP. I'm glad I did otherwise I wouldn't be where I am today. Every time I walk past someone smoking or someone is stood next to me smoking the smell makes me feel sick? Anyone else get that? Good luck guys and gals here's to a smoke free future.”

Belle96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 31, 2020

Chantix (varenicline) for Smoking Cessation: “After reading reviews I was terrified to take this medicine, but I really wanted to quit, so I gave it a try. I took it for 35 days and quit due to side effects. I smoked for the first two weeks and haven’t smoked another one in 3 weeks. I did experience nausea some, vivid dreams, but nothing terrifying. I did get severely depressed and literally just got out of bed to go to work, so I decided to quit taking it. I think this drug is effective in helping you quit if you really desire to quit. It was a great start for me, and I’m hoping I don’t start back after quitting the medicine early. Cigarettes taste disgusting while using this and you don’t get that satisfaction after smoking like you normally would, so I think that’s what helps.”