User Reviews for Valsartan to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 3)

Also known as: Diovan

Valsartan Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Valsartan

Kacer March 26, 2016

“80 mg valsartan is the 1st BP med I have ever taken. After taking my second pill I developed an extremely severe headache in the front of my face. It subsided the next day but did not go away completely. After the 5th pill I experienced pain in my hips, knees, and fingers that woke me up constantly during the night. I took another pill the next morning. That evening I developed a severe rash on my face right across the areas where I had my headache. Did not take another pill after that, but still have a headache after not being on it for a week. My BP was 148/83 and never really saw much of a difference being on the pill for such a short period of time. Valsartan made me feel very unwell!”

philster · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2016

Diovan (valsartan): “I was recently switched to a BP control regimen of Diovan and Concur (bisoprolol) and for the first time in 20 yeqrs, my BP is under control. It used to run in the mid 140s to mid 150s / hi 80s to hi 90s. Now is has stabilized to mid 120s to mid 130s / mid 70s to mid 80s. I couldn't be happier and I have no side effects.”

kim46343 · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2016

“Started diovan 160 mg today, after being on Norvasc 5mg for awhile, diovan dropped my blood pressure from 177/93 to 128/71. But while on diovan I literally felt like crap. I was weak, had shortness of breath, my legs hurt when walking dogs. Just felt terrible. Will call dr tomorrow and let him know.”

Hotto January 31, 2016

Diovan (valsartan): “I was on Diovan five years ago for high blood pressure and had been taking it for about two years when I woke up one morning and felt so sick and weak that I could not walk. I happened to be in hospital at the time and they discovered that my potassium and blood pressure had dropped significantly. They stopped the Diovan and two days later I was back to normal. However, my blood pressure is above the recommended levels and the local doctor put me back on Diovan about six weeks ago and this week I got the weakness back plus muscle aches, severe, so I stopped Diovan two days ago and so far I still have all the bad side effects, but hoping they will go away soon. A visit to the doctor is on the cards.”

D.Howard January 30, 2016

“It gave horrible stiffness in the back of my neck leading down to my spine. And I couldn't turn my head. The pain became on a scale of one to ten, a10 at times . I thought I was having a stroke....”

William M · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 21, 2015

“When I took Diovan with HCTZ, it took a couple of weeks to get my blood pressure down to 125/80. I am an active 61 year old male that plays tennis and walks 40 minutes a day. Then my health plan would only cover the generic valsartan with HCTZ. It was fine. Lately, my valsartan was made by a generic manufacturer McLeod's. All of a sudden my blood pressure shot up to 180/100. I now have to take 5 mg. amlodipine to get my blood pressure normal.”

Lindaloukin December 10, 2015

Diovan (valsartan): “This medicine is a lifesaver. My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine when I turned 40. It made me feel tired and just bad and in about 8 months after I started taking it I started having chest pains. She swapped me to Diovan and I've been on it for 3 years now. I have no side effects, I don't feel bad anymore and it controls my blood pressure.”

Petee 1234 December 5, 2015

“I take 50 mg Metoprolol ER at 8pm. At 11 pm intake 80 mg Valsartan. I Awake around 3 am with bp way up, like 175/56 . All day and evening it is in a pretty good range. It seems the Valsartan increases rather than decreases bp!”

bp user · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2015

“My doctor gave me valsartan to take. I am 58, female taking atenolol for 18 years 50 mg. I took my bp this morning before meds, it was 150 over 86. I then took the valsartan started to feel naseaus and my throat tightening. My bp then shot up to 190 over 123 and was frightened. Clearly not a medicine for me. Going back to lisinopril, which has some side effects but bp is great with it.”

KennyG Jr March 31, 2015

Diovan (valsartan): “Taking for 15 years I'm 67. Controls by blood pressure well. I take 160mg. I'm normal weight and very active (Triathlions and marathons). If I train very hard and drop weight I get dizzy sometimes so I cut the pill in half and that does the trick. I occasionally get heart palpitations but I got that before the drug. I use to get terrible migranes before Diovan when I started taking the Diovan it was like s miracle drug for the migranes essentially eliminated them. I still get them now infrequently and not as severe. I have ringing in the ears but I don't know if it's from the Diovan or not but its not a problem for me.”

JLBat March 18, 2015

Diovan (valsartan): “I have been taking Diovan 160 mg along with three other medications. My blood pressure went down from 160/100 to 135/90 but I'm not sure if it was due to this medicine or the other three. I seem to get tired in the afternoon when my dosage was increased from 80 to 160 mg.”

ddsmile · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2014

Diovan (valsartan): “I recently started taking this medication for about 1 month 80mg/day and I have experienced shortness of breath going up one flight of stairs, muscle weakness during light housework, and heart palpitations for no reason, dizziness and fatigue. I went on vacation to palm desert and wasn't watching my sodium intake and not keeping hydrated. I paid dearly by watching my blood pressure go from 140/90 to 180/105 and ended up at urgent care. Doc gave me Diazide to flush out the sodium and now my blood pressure is 110/70 and cardiologist decreased Diazide to 40mg. Some of Diovan's side effects are dissipating with this reduction. I am not happy taking any medication unless necessary especially at the age of 46. Hope to be off all medicines soon.”

Runner's Cramp · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 26, 2013

“7 years ago my Blood pressure skyrocketed 110/100. I was going through some personnel issues at home and Dr. put me on Toprol(Beta-Blocker) didn't work, having heart palpitations. I started running and also changed my Meds to Diovan 160mg. BP went down to 110/70. ”

Annarac · Taken for 10 years or more August 31, 2013

Diovan (valsartan): “Prevented fluid buildup near vocal cords experienced with other medications to treat condition.”

Jerrypaull · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 18, 2013

“Been on 40 mg/day Valsartan for several years, works great at lowering blood pressure. Believe it causes delayed ejaculation. ”

246810 August 13, 2013

Diovan (valsartan): “Have been taking Diovan 160mg twice daily along with hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 years. Developed a shortness of breath which they told me was asthma problem that I never had before. I insisted it was the medication and was told it wasn't because it worked great for my blood pressure. Had 2 near death experiences from "asthma attacks". They stopped the Diovan and hydrochlorothiazide and I haven't had any problems with breathing. I can be very active without losing my breath now. Now trying to find something else that works as good on my blood pressure.”

Anonymous October 8, 2012

Diovan (valsartan): “Diovan does the trick as far as the blood pressure goes. I have been an athlete my whole life so high blood pressure was just never dreamed of. The only problem is my erectile dysfunction, which was never a problem before this. Guess I will have to take the bad with the good.”

Butch T. · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 23, 2012

Diovan (valsartan): “I've been taking Diovan HCT (80/12.5) for a little over one year. It has done the trick on my blood pressure but leaves me with a slight headache and afternoon lethargy. After about 8:00 pm I usually start to feel better. My doctor and I tried 3 other medicines before Diovan HCT with no results. I don't know if the side effects are something I will just have to live with or not. I will discuss this on my next Dr.'s visit.”

nctrucker · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2012

Diovan (valsartan): “Experience tiredness, no energy.”

Anonymous January 21, 2012

Diovan (valsartan): “Diovan HCT has controlled my blood pressure for over 10 years. Recently though my potassium has dropped, I've experienced atrial fibrillation and have noticed ringing in my ears. Have gone to just Diovan and have dropped the diuretic.”

firefae March 18, 2011

Diovan (valsartan): “Worked great for my blood pressure however I had to stop this medicine because of severe and rapid hair loss.”

Anonymous March 16, 2011

Diovan (valsartan): “I started taking Diovan 80 mg some 15 years ago, worked great for me. After about 5 years I developed an allergy to the sun and after many skin biopsy's was diagnosed with Discoid lupus. Had to stay out of the sun, almost like a vampire. My insurance (drug coverage) would no longer cover this medicine so my Doctor prescribed enalapril which worked for a while then blood pressure became erratic, and trying several other medicines made me so sluggish. My Doctor wrote for Diovan again, medically necessary and within 3 days I had a severe skin rash, and low and behold, I never had Discoid lupus, quit taking it. Back to enalapril and now blood pressure is crazy again. Wish I could take Diovan, but want to enjoy the beaches. Back to square one.”

sha7411 January 25, 2011

Diovan (valsartan): “I used to use lisinopril for two months and my blood pressure would be controlled for a couple of days then uncontrolled and terribly high ranging 170/110 or 180/100 at times. It took about a month to get my blood pressure to range between 142/90 to 124/86. Then my medicines got changed to Diovan because of the severe side effects and I felt 100x better. The first day I took the Diovan it felt like an internal message feeling my blood vessels dilate. It works really well my blood pressure averages around 115/70 and I take it daily...BUT when I get to the Doctors office I become so worried (white coat syndrome) my blood pressure is sky high. So my doctor just added a diuretic also.”

Anonymous December 10, 2010

Diovan (valsartan): “I take Diovan along with amlodipine and benazepril. My blood pressure is typically about 120-130/70-84. I don't know how much is due to the Diovan vs Lotrel, but I do know that Lotrel taken by itself was unable to get these results. As for side effects, I do seem to have dry cough(varying amounts), some dehydration, darker urine, and substantially less-frequent ejaculations. However, I am not sure if it is the medication that causes such things even though such things are recognized as side-effects.”

Belfast37 September 29, 2010

Diovan (valsartan): “Taking this for two months and really fatigued - used to run marathons for last three years but now VERY tired. Thinking of going back to doctor and trying another blood pressure medication.”